PDA

View Full Version : MBB: ACCT Quarters - Duke 77, NC State 53 Post-Game Thread

JBDuke
03-12-2015, 09:03 PM
Put your post-game thoughts here.

fgb
03-12-2015, 09:04 PM
that felt good. bring on the canes, please!

FerryFor50
03-12-2015, 09:05 PM
Well, State pulled a State.

Play well one game. Play like garbage the next. Glad we got them on the downswing.

Great game all around. Grayson Allen keeps looking better and better. Loving this year's team.

I think #1 seed is locked up regardless of what happens next game.

NancyCarol
03-12-2015, 09:07 PM
I always appreciate a game that doesn't require EMT'S and heart medication :) Great coaching, great playing, strong defense. Love this team.

MartyClark
03-12-2015, 09:07 PM

Play well one game. Play like garbage the next. Glad we got them on the downswing.

Great game all around. Grayson Allen keeps looking better and better. Loving this year's team.

Great game. I loved seeing MPIII and Grayson Allen having such good games. We rested the big guy. It sets up well for tomorrow night.

Troublemaker
03-12-2015, 09:08 PM
Extended...matchup... 2-3 zone!!!

WHAT!?!!

Great all-around game by our team.

I now look forward to Kenpom bumping our defense up three spots to 61.

dalmatians98
03-12-2015, 09:14 PM
Great revenge game. I hope that Barber is going to be okay.

dukelifer
03-12-2015, 09:14 PM

I am very impressed. State is a tough matchup but K definitely confused the guards and they never recovered. This is a very dangerous team right now. The D is disruptive up top and that is great to see.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-12-2015, 09:15 PM
Message to State:

Yo State.....you guys are so entertaining and kind to spark a Plumlee dunk fest.

Spank you very much.

Never Change, we love you for you.

(Can you tell I enjoyed that game?)

DukeDevil
03-12-2015, 09:17 PM
What's not to love about this game?

to summarize it...I quote from the halftime summary:

"If this were a fight, they'd stop it on cuts, if it were a horse, they'd put it down."

DUKEinFW
03-12-2015, 09:18 PM
OK....so do we pass the "eye test" as a #1 seed? Without a doubt!

mgtr
03-12-2015, 09:18 PM
Wow! Happy to see Plumlee and Allen get some serious burn. Thought that everyone played well.

MaxAMillion
03-12-2015, 09:20 PM
I am shocked by that performance. I thought State was the toughest matchup that Duke could face (even more so than UVA). I think that performance guarantees a 1 seed. I wish we could bottle some of that up for the tournament next week.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-12-2015, 09:20 PM
I hope that Barber is going to be okay.

Surprised he wasn't knocked cold. Looked like he turned right into Jefferson's shoulder and it caught him right in the temple.

Hope he's OK as well....

azzefkram
03-12-2015, 09:31 PM
Couldn't ask for more in an opening ACCT game. Comfy win, rested regulars and awesome minutes from the bench.

alteran
03-12-2015, 09:34 PM
Surprised he wasn't knocked cold. Looked like he turned right into Jefferson's shoulder and it caught him right in the temple.

Hope he's OK as well....

Amen. It was a legit screen, but dang.

77devil
03-12-2015, 09:46 PM
Message to State:

Yo State.....you guys are so entertaining and kind to spark a Plumlee dunk fest.

Spank you very much.

Never Change, we love you for you.

(Can you tell I enjoyed that game?)

Message to Wheat:

State enjoyed Duke beating the Cheats twice and enjoyed spanking the Holes in the Dump.

Saratoga2
03-12-2015, 09:48 PM
What's not to love about this game?

to summarize it...I quote from the halftime summary:

"If this were a fight, they'd stop it on cuts, if it were a horse, they'd put it down."

Almost everything in this game worked out great but whaats not to love?

I thought Justise got sloppy with the ball and to some degree so did Jahlil. Actually, Grayson and Marshall added a lot of life to the game. If they can give us anything like the effort we saw tonight, I like our chances.

Henderson
03-12-2015, 09:52 PM
Amen. It was a legit screen, but dang.

It's not just to get a stop that folks need to talk on defense. Barber was let down by his teammates. He's got almost a week to get that bell to stop ringing, but somebody better pass the ibuprofen tonight.

roywhite
03-12-2015, 09:55 PM
Interesting tweet from Bret Strelow (Fayetteville Observer)

https://twitter.com/bretstrelow/status/576192123327885312

"State guys weren't sure what to call Duke's scheme to take away Cat, Lacey. Lacey said Winslow told him I bet you weren't prepared for this"

I like it.

Newton_14
03-12-2015, 09:56 PM

Hope he's OK as well....
Yeah agree. That was scary. Hope he is ok for the tourney. I know Amile set a textbook perfect screen with no lean in, so very glad for that. That said, every since the pick on Nolan in Maryland, I have wondered if they should make picks in the backcourt illegal. If the ball handler can't get it up the floor on his on merit against pressure defense, then suffer the consequences. Amile is not really a big guy and it still put the hurt on Cat. It is just such a dangerous thing, especially when the defender is going full speed like Nolan was. Thankfully Cat was not going full speed but he still took a lick. Anyway, hope he is ok, and food for thought.

What a game! And Troublemaker, it was a mix of zones! We went 2-3, 3-2, and 1-3-1. Was K really on the sidelines?? :) I personally feel State came into this game WAAYYYY too overconfident. With the big win over Duke in Raleigh, combined with how well they have been playing, and how well they played last night, I thought they came in totally underestimating, and not respectful of just how much better this Duke team is now vs then. I also thought State's total confusion on offense with dealing with our defense, translated to the other end and hurt their defense badly. They were so frustrated it became a case of trying to block any and every shot with no focus on anything else. We burned them badly for their over aggression. On one play, 3 State defenders collapsed on Tyus driving to the hoop, and left Plumdawg wide open for 1 of his 6 dunks (Ah MP2 were you watching little bro chase your single game record of dunks?) Had we not missed several bunnies, it would have been worse. We scored on 22 of our first 26 possessions! That's insane!!

I must say too that no amount of praise is too much this year for Quinn Cook. My gosh. I watched the entire game tip to final buzzer and afterwards, all I had in my mind were the 6 Plumdawg dunks, and Grayson Allen flying around all over the court on both ends, hitting 3's, dunking, tip ins, blocking shots, defending like a madman, etc. Yet I go read the WRAL article and the first line read "Quinn Cook scored 16 points to lead Duke..." I was like "Quinn had 16???" The guy is killing it, has killed it all year, and hopefully kills it for 8 more games with no losses.

A very nice, relaxing, stress free way to start the Grandaddy of them All! I needed a game like that for my personal nerves. Thank you Coach K and Thank You Blue Devils!

I voted for Plumdawg for MOTM without thinking twice, but Coach K's gameplan won this game in my opinion, and in fairness to Gottfried and his staff, I don't feel any coach in the world could have made the necessary adjustments in-game to counter what K had our kids doing. I think that would have required a lot of tape and a full week to practice against all the different defensive looks K through at them, and on top of that, Duke disguised the looks so well, it was very hard a lot of time to figure out just what defense they were in. That was a thing of beauty.

On to the semi's!

Go Duke!

FerryFor50
03-12-2015, 10:02 PM
What a game! And Troublemaker, it was a mix of zones! We went 2-3, 3-2, and 1-3-1. Was K really on the sidelines?? :) I personally feel State came into this game WAAYYYY too overconfident. With the big win over Duke in Raleigh, combined with how well they have been playing, and how well they played last night, I thought they came in totally underestimating, and not respectful of just how much better this Duke team is now vs then.

Keeley delivered this quote that kind of echoes that point:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article13933880.html

"Grayson is a good player," N.C. State’s Trevor Lacey said. "I wouldn't say we would sleep on Grayson. But Plumlee, we'll try to force Plumlee to score more.

"But how hard is it to catch and dunk the ball, you know? Seven foot, we didn't make it hard for him. You have to give him credit. He plays with energy and they don't put him in positions where he's uncomfortable."

Bad idea to underestimate anyone in the ACC.

CameronBornAndBred
03-12-2015, 10:03 PM
In K's post game interview (with Quinn and Marshall), Nick Martin from the Chronicle asks a question about the bench, K gives a two word answer. Next guy from some other paper asks pretty much same question, K gives a dissertation on how valuable those players are. It was beautiful to watch.
Check in at the 1:30 mark. Compare K's expression with the two answers while you're at it. He's brilliant.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/no-2-duke-advances-to-acc-semis-by-routing-nc-state-77-53/14510573/

FerryFor50
03-12-2015, 10:07 PM
In K's post game interview (with Quinn and Marshall), Nick Martin from the Chronicle asks a question about the bench, K gives a two word answer. Next guy from some other paper asks pretty much same question, K gives a dissertation on how valuable those players are. It was beautiful to watch.
Check in at the 1:30 mark. Compare K's expression with the two answers while you're at it. He's brilliant.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/no-2-duke-advances-to-acc-semis-by-routing-nc-state-77-53/14510573/

I literally LOLed.

"Good point. GOOD QUESTION!"

kcduke75
03-12-2015, 10:10 PM
Message to Wheat:

State enjoyed Duke beating the Cheats twice and enjoyed spanking the Holes in the Dump.

Unnecessary. We can enjoy the moment together.

gofurman
03-12-2015, 10:10 PM
Beautiful game. Bottle that. Cat barber o pts? Unbelievable. Only wish we had played Tyus a little less. Why 37 minutes in that kind of blowout. Cut it to high 20s I would have thought - esp w two consecutive days possibly coming

Hope Okafor is going to be 100%

Dukeford
03-12-2015, 10:13 PM

Haha. When the second guy ask the same question, Coach K says "yeah, good point, good question".

kmspeaks
03-12-2015, 10:18 PM
Beautiful game. Bottle that. Cat barber o pts? Unbelievable. Only wish we had played Tyus a little less. Why 37 minutes in that kind of blowout. Cut it to high 20s I would have thought - esp w two consecutive days possibly coming

In the post-game presser, linked above, K said Quinn has been sick the last couple days and missed some or all of the last few practices. Maybe he thought it was more important to limit Quinn's minutes. There's only so many players on the bench and even in a blow out I don't think we want to go completely away from the norm and play without a point guard. Maybe he thought it was more important to limit Quinn's minutes.

NYBri
03-12-2015, 10:20 PM
I am very impressed. State is a tough matchup but K definitely confused the guards and they never recovered. This is a very dangerous team right now. The D is disruptive up top and that is great to see.

We have become unpredictable, which is right where we want to be this time of year.

Newton_14
03-12-2015, 10:20 PM

I hear you, but we have 8 players. It is almost impossible not to play at least one starter heavy minutes, and K likely wanted to give Quinn as much rest as possible since he has been sick most of the week. Without playing the walkons (which K did late) 1 of our top 4 players has to be on the court at all times. Plus, playing 37 minutes in a game like that is probably like playing 27 in a normal game. Our guys could have probably gone another full half without too much trouble.

K rested Jahlil, Winslow, and Quinn quite a bit, while riding Plumlee, Grayson, and Amile a lot. Even in the first half, K stayed with Plumlee and Grayson a very long time there, especially in that one stretch. I was actually concerned he was going to ride them too long, but I think K did a good job with the rotation tonight overall.

Great win.

I will say this. I felt going into the game in Chapel Hill that if this Duke team was truly a Top 5, Championship Caliber team, they would not slip and lose to UNC. Then, coming into tonight, with State playing so well down the stretch, and playing very well last night, that again, if this Duke team was truly a Top 5, Championship Caliber team, they would win this game tonight no matter how well State played. That they came out a destroyed a very talented State team that was playing well and had handled them in Raleigh, answered my question a second time.

This Duke team is for real.

uh_no
03-12-2015, 10:21 PM
K said in his presser that the winner of a double round robin is how you get a true champion.

There you have it. the ACC has not champion!

ChrisP
03-12-2015, 10:23 PM

OMG, I love that interaction so much, I want to marry it! Wow, awesome! Thanks for sharing :D

Newton_14
03-12-2015, 10:29 PM
K said in his presser that the winner of a double round robin is how you get a true champion.

There you have it. the ACC has not champion!

Yeah, well, well, Jerian Grant just said in a commercial that winning 3 games in 3 days against the best teams in the country/conference is how you find out who the best team is cause they have to bring it every night against the best!! so so so there mister! :)

camion
03-12-2015, 10:35 PM
State was thoroughly befuddled. I don't think I've used that word on a bball board before, but it fits. One team knew exactly what it wanted to do and the other team hadn't a clue. It was amazing.

Kudos to the coaches and players.

weezie
03-12-2015, 10:45 PM
I literally LOLed.

"Good point. GOOD QUESTION!"

This could be the best part of the night. Touche K.

Henderson
03-12-2015, 10:49 PM
We have become unpredictable, which is right where we want to be this time of year.

State was thoroughly befuddled. I don't think I've used that word on a bball board before, but it fits. One team knew exactly what it wanted to do and the other team hadn't a clue. It was amazing.

Kudos to the coaches and players.

Duke presents so many problems on both offense and defense right now for an opposing staff to game plan against. The players have executed a Duke plan that makes things very tough for opposing teams, but it's not just been talented play. A big part is that over the past several weeks, Coach K has outcoached opposing coaches. They don't know what's coming and then don't adjust well.

flyingdutchdevil
03-12-2015, 10:51 PM
1) I have up beer for Lent. Broke it tonight. Had a lot of beer. Beer is awesome.

2) Best team performance I've seen. Offense, as usual, was on. Defense was amazing. He took arguably the best penetrating team in the ACC and limited them to 53 points (should have been less; we kinda sucked at D towards the end). I couldn't be happier with the performance tonight. Holy cow.

3) Chemistry is flowing. Tyus is making this team go. He gets it. His chemistry with Okafor has always been there. His chemistry with Quinn is the best of the team. His ability to find open players is fantastic. Capel said it best: the best player on the team is Okafor. The MVP is Cook. The most vital player is Tyus (okay. I don't really know the difference, but it makes sense to me. Beer, people. Beer!).

4) I love Plummers, and he had a great game. But he has two offense moves in his limited arsenal: alley oops and the dribble-pump-fake-two-handed-dunk. The latter move rarely worked, but it worked multiple times during this game. The NC State big man scouting team clearly did not do their homework.

5) Cook is my hero. Nuf said.

6) Bring on the "Godfather of the ACC", ie Mike Brey and his amazingly slicked back hair. Can't wait for Cook to limit Grant to 3-15 shooting.

Billy Dat
03-12-2015, 10:52 PM
I will say this. I felt going into the game in Chapel Hill that if this Duke team was truly a Top 5, Championship Caliber team, they would not slip and lose to UNC. Then, coming into tonight, with State playing so well down the stretch, and playing very well last night, that again, if this Duke team was truly a Top 5, Championship Caliber team, they would win this game tonight no matter how well State played. That they came out a destroyed a very talented State team that was playing well and had handled them in Raleigh, answered my question a second time.

This Duke team is for real.

I feel the same way, but am so aware of every post-2004 final result (save for 2010) that I find it hard to un-clench. One game at a time, but this year does feel like it has some extra magic. Let's hope we keep rolling.

mgtr
03-12-2015, 10:52 PM
Eight is enough! I just don't think this can be said too many times. At some point in 2010, I really bought into the team. Tonight was my buy in for this team -- Go Duke!

Billy Dat
03-12-2015, 10:56 PM
Duke presents so many problems on both offense and defense right now for an opposing staff to game plan against. The players have executed a Duke plan that makes things very tough for opposing teams, but it's not just been talented play. A big part is that over the past several weeks, Coach K has outcoached opposing coaches. They don't know what's coming and then don't adjust well.

No doubt....I wish K has started mixing his defenses and presses a long time ago. In this regard, he's adopted a little Patino patina. It does feel like he is in full command of his powers.

MCFinARL
03-12-2015, 11:19 PM
No doubt....I wish K has started mixing his defenses and presses a long time ago. In this regard, he's adopted a little Patino patina. It does feel like he is in full command of his powers.

Or, Pitino pitina? ;)

NYBri
03-12-2015, 11:22 PM

The fact that he didn't do this earlier in the year is actually to our advantage. Teams don't have time to prepare later in the season. We are unpredictable at the exactly right time. The fact that we have the players to execute all these different wrinkles makes all the difference.

Des Esseintes
03-12-2015, 11:29 PM
Head-in-the-clouds dreamer, we're only #62. Cramazing.

stals
03-12-2015, 11:34 PM
Head-in-the-clouds dreamer, we're only #62. Cramazing.

Anyone who thinks Duke is the 62nd best defensive team in the country is using bad metrics.

burnspbesq
03-12-2015, 11:38 PM
Extended...matchup... 2-3 zone!!!

WHAT!?!!

Great all-around game by our team.

When we went 1-3-1 for a couple of possessions, I thought i was watching mid-1970s Carolina. Was waiting for Mike O'Koren to check back into the lineup.

Billy Dat
03-12-2015, 11:45 PM
The fact that he didn't do this earlier in the year is actually to our advantage. Teams don't have time to prepare later in the season. We are unpredictable at the exactly right time. The fact that we have the players to execute all these different wrinkles makes all the difference.

I meant, like, 15 years ago!

uh_no
03-12-2015, 11:46 PM
]Head-in-the-clouds dreamer, we're only #62. Cramazing.

Anyone who thinks Duke is the 62nd best defensive team in the country is using bad metrics.

we've been hurt recently by 2 things:

1) the relative weaknesses of opposing offenses
2) blowing teams out and pulling off the gas

Dukehky
03-12-2015, 11:54 PM
Nick Martin (Chronicle writer who co-wrote the Rasheed story) asked K a question in the presser, and K gave him a 5 word answer. Loved it.

Des Esseintes
03-13-2015, 12:08 AM

Yeah, but State has a good offense, and they scored 53 on 56 shots. I'm sure the numbers do in fact work out. But I'm surprised.

roywhite
03-13-2015, 12:08 AM

Ha; yeah, so this young team sought for the answer to-----we really love Coach K, but like what do you get a guy who has everything? You know, a guy who has won over 1000 games, won championships and gold medals, earned fame and fortune, has a wonderful family, etc. etc.

Well, why don't we develop this defense thing and be able to play half a dozen different schemes and looks? So then he can mix things up and thoroughly confuse these other coaches and teams....yeah, I bet he'd love that! And so it came to be.

Kedsy
03-13-2015, 12:10 AM
Five for five.

Hopefully by the end of the weekend, the rematch hypothesis will be seven for seven.

uh_no
03-13-2015, 12:19 AM
Five for five.

Hopefully by the end of the weekend, the rematch hypothesis will be seven for seven.

was hoping to avenge miami....sigh.

ND played pretty weak for a long stretch, and game three is a toss up IMO....

think we win by <10

pfrduke
03-13-2015, 01:42 AM
Yeah, but State has a good offense, and they scored 53 on 56 shots. I'm sure the numbers do in fact work out. But I'm surprised.

It was a super slow game. Yes, State missed 36 of their 56 shots, but they got 20 offensive rebounds and only turned the ball over 9 times. State scored 53 points in 55 possessions. That's a good defensive performance for us, particularly against State which has a strong offense, but not so dominant to move the needle very much.

On the other hand, we scored 77 points in 55 possessions!! That's phenomenal.

Wander
03-13-2015, 02:01 AM
It was a super slow game. Yes, State missed 36 of their 56 shots, but they got 20 offensive rebounds and only turned the ball over 9 times. State scored 53 points in 55 possessions. That's a good defensive performance for us, particularly against State which has a strong offense, but not so dominant to move the needle very much.

I think that's right. People usually think of "rebounding" as separate from "offense" and "defense," but in efficiency metrics they're part of it, and we're not a very good defensive rebounding team.

That, and the fact that our statistically worst defensive performance was not the Miami or NC State loss but the Virginia Tech win, and that was only a few games ago. Luckily that game looks like a fluke.

pfrduke
03-13-2015, 02:18 AM
I think that's right. People usually think of "rebounding" as separate from "offense" and "defense," but in efficiency metrics they're part of it, and we're not a very good defensive rebounding team.

That, and the fact that our statistically worst defensive performance was not the Miami or NC State loss but the Virginia Tech win, and that was only a few games ago. Luckily that game looks like a fluke.

We're a pretty good defensive rebounding team - not elite, but far from bad (which we've been in years past). We were in the top half of the conference and the top third in the country. We had a bad defensive rebounding game against State, though.

Richard Berg
03-13-2015, 02:39 AM
I'd be curious to see our defReb % filtered to possessions where we're in a zone.

NSDukeFan
03-13-2015, 07:18 AM

That was great. I liked Quinn's reply that he was tired of coach getting on him for 3 years and that is why he has finally started playing better defense. I also liked how coach said they were undefeated last time they played State, so they had been in a pretty good place last time they played them as well.

NSDukeFan
03-13-2015, 07:23 AM

Either that, or basing it on the whole season and not just Duke's better games. I agree, though, that when Duke is dialled in defensively, this is not the 62nd best defense in the country.

About the game, boy, was that ever fun.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2015, 07:50 AM
Watched the game with My Tarheel Neighbor. He was consistently commenting on our great coaching - zone switches, subs, inside-out passes. He seems to long for game planning and in-game management.

You couldn't ask for a better tip for Duke's tournament season.

CDu
03-13-2015, 07:55 AM

There is a difference between having performed #62 in defense and actually having the 62nd best defense. Pomeroy's math isn't wrong; we are #62 because we have had MANY bad performances defensively. But we are capable of much better, as last night showed.

Mike Corey
03-13-2015, 07:56 AM
Duke is playing great basketball.

And if it weren't for Lexington's undefeated season, I think even us biased Duke homers would have a greater appreciation for how good this team's been and what it's accomplished.

Here's to keepin' it going into April.

Philadukie
03-13-2015, 08:05 AM

I don't fully understand how the AdjDEff works, but I take number 1 above as a reason why the stats don't fully capture our defense at this point. Has it accounted for how teams with relative weak offenses played awesome against Duke? Is our defense really "worse" than 60+ other teams, or have many of those other teams not had to endure other teams' best shots like we have? In other words, if a team with a relatively weak offense scores more against Duke than "they should," given their history, does it mean our defense is bad or that the other team was playing it's best possible offense against Duke?

NYBri
03-13-2015, 08:06 AM
I meant, like, 15 years ago!

Ah! Right. My bad.😎

Not sure we had the horses or chemistry to do it in years past.

This is a very special team; diversly talented and like a family.

JBDuke
03-13-2015, 08:13 AM
When we went 1-3-1 for a couple of possessions, I thought i was watching mid-1970s Carolina. Was waiting for Mike O'Koren to check back into the lineup.

No one on this team is anywhere near as hideous as Mike O'Koren. That guy is on the All-Time All-Ugly starting five.

CDu
03-13-2015, 08:15 AM
I don't fully understand how the AdjDEff works, but I take number 1 above as a reason why the stats don't fully capture our defense at this point. Has it accounted for how teams with relative weak offenses played awesome against Duke? Is our defense really "worse" than 60+ other teams, or have many of those other teams not had to endure other teams' best shots like we have? In other words, if a team with a relatively weak offense scores more against Duke than "they should," given their history, does it mean our defense is bad or that the other team was playing it's best possible offense against Duke?

No metric can take into account the "Duke gets everyone's best shot" theory, mainly because it is nearly impossible to disentangle that from the "Duke was playing not great defense" theory.

We have played very poor defense in a number of games. That has dragged our season ranking down. We have played amazing defense for a half in some games, but have let up in the second half due to the blowout. That has further masked our ceiling from the rankings, because the overall numbers don't look as dominant as we were at times.

When dialed in, we clearly are not the 62nd best defense. But we quite frequently haven't been dialed in this year.

CameronBornAndBred
03-13-2015, 08:18 AM
It was a super slow game. Yes, State missed 36 of their 56 shots, but they got 20 offensive rebounds and only turned the ball over 9 times.
I think they got like 7 of them on one possession in the second half. I was trying to decide which to be more amazed at, the fact that they missed that many times in a row, or that they managed to get every single rebound.

Richard Berg
03-13-2015, 08:27 AM
It's not just the times we've made a bad offense look good, though that obviously hurts. When we make a bad offense look ugly, we don't get as much "credit" as we would against an average team, because AdjD assumes a lot of said ugliness was self-inflicted on their part.

OldPhiKap
03-13-2015, 08:40 AM
I think they got like 7 of them on one possession in the second half. I was trying to decide which to be more amazed at, the fact that they missed that many times in a row, or that they managed to get every single rebound.

I remember that sequence too.

Part of the reason State got so many OR's is because they were shooting bricks from outside, and we were playing zone so therefore did not get as good a box-out. Given that we owned the paint scoring, I'm not particularly concerned.

jv001
03-13-2015, 08:56 AM
Coach K had some interesting comments in his presser. Some have already been mentioned. Here are a few(paraphrasing): K said that Marshall has really improved the last 3 1/2 weeks and he played powerful last night. He said Grayson is fearless and he's coming along like crazy. He said Quinn has been sick and missed practice one day. Getting fluids in him daily. A reported asked MPIII about the team's improvement and Marshall said that he would attribute the improvement on focus and preparation. With preparation being number one. When Coach K was asked about the improvement in Duke's defense, he said the kids believe in the defense and are buying into it. Someone mentioned Quinn's response to a question on how his defense has improved this season. He responded by saying that he had gotten tired of Coach K getting on him for 3 years. Coach K said, it's about time. Great press conference and great game from out players and coaching staff. GoDuke!

sagegrouse
03-13-2015, 09:36 AM
Does anyone really believe the second-half stats from last night's game mean anything at all? I am reminded of the Larry Shyatt quote after losing to Duke, when Clemson trailed 58-16 at the half: "At least we won the second half." Chris Carrawell commented later, "That game was over at the half." As was last night's.

DU82
03-13-2015, 09:40 AM
Two comments overheard in the arena last night:

State Fan: Thank god Okafor is coming back in. We can't handle Plumlee!

Carolina Fan (about the 8 minute mark in their second half): Wish we had Coach K to manage our lead.

CameronBornAndBred
03-13-2015, 09:41 AM
Does anyone really believe the second-half stats from last night's game mean anything at all? I am reminded of the Larry Shyatt quote after losing to Duke, when Clemson trailed 58-16 at the half: "At least we won the second half." Chris Carrawell commented later, "That game was over at the half." As was last night's.
I was happy to see us come out and still play well. After a half like that, it would be so easy to sit back and know there is little you have to do to win the game. We took the opportunity to get valuable minutes for our bench, rest the starters, and use the rest of the game as invaluable tournament experience. State should be appreciative of that too, since if we played the second half like the first, we'd have won by 50. :cool:

Henderson
03-13-2015, 09:46 AM

And yet every bit of that second half last night gets digested into much-beloved metrics that will last forever as recorded fact. The context of those numbers will not last as long in memory.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 10:01 AM
I remember that sequence too.

Part of the reason State got so many OR's is because they were shooting bricks from outside, and we were playing zone so therefore did not get as good a box-out. Given that we owned the paint scoring, I'm not particularly concerned.

That and the rebounds were weird, hard bounces off the side of the rim that caromed too fast to rebound close to the basket and required a guard to rebound. I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

State also missed a ton of shots, so a ton of offensive rebound opportunities.

However, State *did* grab nearly 50% of their own misses:

http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_Game_Box_Score_External.asp?hGame=3511

DukeDevil
03-13-2015, 10:03 AM
I mentioned this in the thread about Jah, but probably more appropriate here...

Anyone else's jaw drop on his standing/never left the floor block? Yowza!

sagegrouse
03-13-2015, 10:09 AM
That and the rebounds were weird, hard bounces off the side of the rim that caromed too fast to rebound close to the basket and required a guard to rebound. I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

State also missed a ton of shots, so a ton of offensive rebound opportunities.

However, State *did* grab nearly 50% of their own misses:

http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_Game_Box_Score_External.asp?hGame=3511

If I read the first-half box score correctly, Duke rebounded seven of its 13 misses in the first half. State rebounded nine of its 20 misses. The boards were an "equal-opportunity" activity in the first half. Of course, that one State rebound sequence may have had 6 or 7 OR's before Abu scored.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 10:12 AM
If I read the first-half box score correctly, Duke rebounded seven of its 13 misses in the first half.

Yea, like I said, can't put too much stock into it. It *was* an epic beat down. They played half speed much of the 2nd half. Almost out of pity.

NYBri
03-13-2015, 10:24 AM

I was screaming at the TV machine during that sequence. If we hadn't been up by a million at that point, I might have also been upset.

PackMan97
03-13-2015, 11:16 AM
I'm putting y'all on notice. After last night, if UVa wins, I'll be a big Notre Dame fan! This is simply unacceptable!

Clay Feet POF
03-13-2015, 11:28 AM
I'm putting y'all on notice. After last night, if UVa wins, I'll be a big Notre Dame fan! This is simply unacceptable!

If Things were reversed I’d feel the same way. I would only hope to be as gracious as you.

DU82
03-13-2015, 11:29 AM
I was screaming at the TV machine during that sequence. If we hadn't been up by a million at that point, I might have also been upset.

At the arena, I had a different view (not that those around me agreed with me.) I saw the six/seven shot sequence as very frustrating for State. It took them seven shots to finally make one basket because of our defense.

(I didn't think it was really bad rebounding by us, given how the ball came off the rim or backboard.)

PackMan97
03-13-2015, 11:35 AM
If Things were reversed I’d feel the same way. I would only hope to be as gracious as you.

I attribute it to Stockholm Syndrome. :cool:

wilko
03-13-2015, 11:44 AM

I hope Barber is OK. Good luck in the NCAA's I'll be pulling for you guys.

Coming in I didn't want to play State. They have been a hot team of late. When they are ON they can be scary. Neither of us could have predicted what we saw last night.

As it is; I'm not sorry we won and will enjoy it until the next Tip of the next game...

jv001
03-13-2015, 11:47 AM

I think you're joking but in anyway, I'll be rooting for the WolfPack in the NCAAT and beyond. NC State has always been my 2nd favorite team and will continue to be. Another thought, what if the cheats beat VA, are you rooting for the cheats? :cool: GoDuke!

PackMan97
03-13-2015, 11:50 AM
I hope Barber is OK. Good luck in the NCAA's I'll be pulling for you guys.

I hope so as well. As cat goes, so does NC State.

....it was an unnecessary play that could not possibly have impacted the outcome of the game. However, things like that happen when neither team quits and are still playing hard. Note: The screen never would have happened if Cat hadn't been pressing full court. The fault in the play lies in the person guarding Amile who was no where near to call out "screen".

fuse
03-13-2015, 12:43 PM
Wasn't quite sure where to put this.

Is Thursday now the best basketball day of the ACC tournament?
Having to wait until 7pm......can't get here fast enough!

jipops
03-13-2015, 12:44 PM
I could not have been more wrong about this game. It was basically the opposite of what I thought it would be.

Of course I'm very happy with the result but honestly I was rather disappointed that State came out so flat. Credit our extended zone but there just didn't seem to be a lot of verve on their part.

Troublemaker
03-13-2015, 04:05 PM
Lauren Brownlow's article on the game, (http://www.foxsports.com/carolinas/story/court-vision-no-2-duke-rolls-over-nc-state-to-advance-to-semifinals-031215) quoting Trevor Lacey:

Lacey, who finished with four points on 2-of-8 shooting, is one of the smarter guys you'll talk to in a postgame setting. He can break down exactly what the opponent was doing or trying to do.

In this case, though, he had no idea. So much so that at one point, he looked at Duke's Justise Winslow, befuddled. "Justise Winslow said, 'You wasn't prepared for this, were you?' I was like 'What are y'all doing?' Just started laughing," Lacey said.

"You can ask a million questions on what they did and nobody could probably give you the same answer. All we could get out of it was -- we ran zone offense, we ran man offense, but when me and Cat gave the ball up, they just took us out of the game," Lacey said. "That was our gameplan to make sure we didn't beat them, and they did a good job of doing it."

"I promise you, we can watch film 100 times, I -- they just made sure me and Cat didn't beat them. That's the best I can explain about their defense they played. ... At one point, kind of, a 1-3-1, then a 2-3, then it was a -- I don't know, man-to-man, I don't know. When we passed it, they made sure we didn't get it back and when we did try to make a play, it was either a tough shot for us or we had to drop it off to a teammate."

Neals384
03-13-2015, 09:31 PM
If I read the first-half box score correctly, Duke rebounded seven of its 13 misses in the first half. State rebounded nine of its 20 misses. The boards were an "equal-opportunity" activity in the first half. Of course, that one State rebound sequence may have had 6 or 7 OR's before Abu scored.

It was 6 OBoards on a single possession.