PDA

View Full Version : Fastest recovery - Anderson is back for UVA

JasonEvans
03-12-2015, 11:34 AM
ESPN saying Justin Anderson will return today for Virginia. Dude had an appendectomy like yesterday (ok, one week ago)! Stunningly fast return.

This is big for Virginia as proof that Anderson is back will allow the NCAA committee to discount the past couple weeks during which the Cavs have looked a little less than what they were with Anderson. Some of the experts have said that if Virginia lost today, it could cost them a #1 seed. I dunno about that, but the interesting thing to watch will be to see how fast Virginia can re-integrate Anderson into what they are doing on both ends of the floor.

-Jason "I'm glad he's back. I want Virginia at full strength representing the ACC in the Big Dance" Evans

bob blue devil
03-12-2015, 11:40 AM
Hopefully they aren't rushing him to influence seeding (assuming rushing could have a negative health impact - I'm no doctor!).

Reisen
03-12-2015, 11:46 AM
If they had lost today AND Anderson had still been out indefinitely, I think it would have cost them the 1 seed. With Anderson back, I think they're safe, even with a loss.

jv001
03-12-2015, 11:46 AM
It still remains to be seen just how much time Anderson gets. I'm thinking he plays sparingly in his first game back because he's probably going to be a little rusty. I'm glad he's back. GoDuke!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-12-2015, 12:15 PM
As I mentioned in another thread, a player at my (tiny, insignificant) college was back to playing ball against doctor's advice within a week of his appendectomy. To hear him tell it, the only potential issue was scarring at the site of the surgery.

I don't know what sort of other medical complications there might be, but if it were me in the middle of a special season like UVa is having, scarring on my belly wouldn't keep me out of the game.

Any folks who know better, feel free to tell me about how dangerous it is for whatever reasons. Glad he's back.

CDu
03-12-2015, 12:17 PM
Can't imagine that this is a good idea. I guess it remains to be seen if/how much he actually plays. But I'd hate to see him re-open his surgical incisions and miss time in the NCAA tournament. Hopefully he avoids any injury if he does play.

PackMan97
03-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Can't imagine that this is a good idea. I guess it remains to be seen if/how much he actually plays. But I'd hate to see him re-open his surgical incisions and miss time in the NCAA tournament. Hopefully he avoids any injury if he does play.

His surgery was a laparoscopic appendectomy so he likely has two or three small holes where they went in with the scopes to take out the appendix. This isn't an issue with tearing a 2-3 inch abdominal wound. Each hole is sealed with one cross stitch and I wouldn't worry about opening it, or that being a major issue. If this was a non-emergency situation, it could have even been outpatient.

CDu
03-12-2015, 12:43 PM
His surgery was a laparoscopic appendectomy so he likely has two or three small holes where they went in with the scopes to take out the appendix. This isn't an issue with tearing a 2-3 inch abdominal wound. Each hole is sealed with one cross stitch and I wouldn't worry about opening it, or that being a major issue. If this was a non-emergency situation, it could have even been outpatient.

Yes, I know. But even still there was an open incision (actually multiple, half-inch or so). There is a danger of re-tearing even those small incisions, and an increased risk of infection.

The recommended recovery time is 10 to 14 days before resuming strenuous activity, even for a laparoscopic procedure. Seems overly rushed.

gumbomoop
03-12-2015, 12:44 PM
Not a ruptured appendix, so fewer complications, right? Although this still seems a little too chancy, it's nowhere near as dangerous as the "When will Kendall Marshall play?" back in 2012.

Roy Williams was an idiot. In those days.

CDu
03-12-2015, 12:46 PM
Not a ruptured appendix, so fewer complications, right? Although this still seems a little too chancy, it's nowhere near as dangerous as the "When will Kendall Marshall play?" back in 2012.

Roy Williams was an idiot. In those days.

Yes, had it been a ruptured appendix (or a very severely inflamed appendix) he would have required a more invasive surgery and would absolutely not be playing this weekend.

Dev11
03-12-2015, 12:47 PM
Yes, I know. But even still there was an open incision (actually multiple, half-inch or so). There is a danger of re-tearing even those small incisions, and an increased risk of infection.

The recommended recovery time is 10 to 14 days before resuming strenuous activity, even for a laparoscopic procedure. Seems overly rushed.

Beating FSU appears to not be strenuous activity.

CDu
03-12-2015, 12:49 PM

True. Anderson is certainly not testing things out there. He's not cutting hard, hasn't attempted a shot, hasn't jumped, etc. Playing it safe.

DarkstarWahoo
03-12-2015, 12:56 PM
True. Anderson is certainly not testing things out there. He's not cutting hard, hasn't attempted a shot, hasn't jumped, etc. Playing it safe.

And it looks like he re-injured the hand anyway.

CDu
03-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Yikes. Hard fall for Anderson, and he immediately grabbed his right side and immediately left the game. Hope he's all right.

weezie
03-12-2015, 01:01 PM
So stupid. Really Tony...all that COY going to his head?

sagegrouse
03-12-2015, 01:13 PM
The limited damage to the abdominal wall from laparascopy is one thing, but the doc removed his appendix and had to repair and alter the intestine. Internal scars have to heal as well, and that adds to the healing time.

Reisen
03-12-2015, 01:37 PM
The limited damage to the abdominal wall from laparascopy is one thing, but the doc removed his appendix and had to repair and alter the intestine. Internal scars have to heal as well, and that adds to the healing time.

Yeah, IANAD, but this would seem to be the issue to me. Hope he's alright.

dukelifer
03-12-2015, 01:42 PM

Apparently getting harder

JasonEvans
03-12-2015, 01:46 PM
So, if Anderson proves he can play by playing... but looks like just a shadow of his former self, is that really a good thing for UVA?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-12-2015, 01:52 PM

Thanks - this is what I was wondering

jv001
03-12-2015, 03:12 PM
So stupid. Really Tony...all that COY going to his head?

And if Duke and Virginia meet in the Finals, Justise might just use his karate kick to the midsection. Ouch, that might sting a little. :cool: GoDuke!

cptnflash
03-12-2015, 03:50 PM
And if Duke and Virginia meet in the Finals, Justise might just use his karate kick to the midsection. Ouch, that might sting a little. :cool: GoDuke!

I hope at this point that Justice's karate kick is permanently retired.