PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs NC State, ACCT (1900 EDT, Espn/ACC Ntwk) Pregame and Ingame Thread

hurleyfor3
03-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Duke takes on the 7-seed, NC State, in the ACC quarterfinals. Discuss here.

pfrduke
03-11-2015, 09:14 PM
Let's get some revenge.

Duke3517
03-11-2015, 09:15 PM
Well if Duke thinks a game at NC State in the regular season is hard wait until they see a team on the bubble of making the NCAA tournament and they have to win in order to advance to the tourney.

arnie
03-11-2015, 09:22 PM
Well if Duke thinks a game at NC State in the regular season is hard wait until they see a team on the bubble of making the NCAA tournament and they have to win in order to advance to the tourney.
Except that State is in now/not really on the bubble anymore. I view this differently; if we are Final 4 worthy, the game tomorrow is a round of 32 matchup that we must win.

Troublemaker
03-11-2015, 09:22 PM

NCSU is already in, win or lose.

They definitely can play Duke tough, though, but it'd be because of NCSU's talent, not their desperation.

Not afraid of this one. We kill in revenge games and second matchups. I expect that trend to continue.

fuse
03-11-2015, 09:38 PM
I suspect the storyline of this game will be Duke's defense.

How well Quinn and Matt (Justise?) guard Barber and Lacey may well dictate the outcome.

I expect the team will be focused for the game against State.

NYBri
03-11-2015, 09:48 PM
We are a different team than we were in January. State is going to have to play an absolutely great game to win.

I feel we will be ready.

MCFinARL
03-11-2015, 09:54 PM
Calling Kedsy! Please tell us your second game against the same opponent theory will apply tomorrow. I think Duke is better than they were when they played NC State last time--among other things, they have learned to mix up a variety of defenses, which will make things less predictable for the NC State offense--but are they better enough, given that NC State is playing well? Fingers crossed.

dukelifer
03-11-2015, 09:54 PM
We are a different team than we were in January. State is going to have to play an absolutely great game to win.

I feel we will be ready.

I expect State will come out strong tomorrow to try to knock Duke back. Duke needs to be careful not to get in a hole. If Duke can weather the first half- they should pull it out. Tough, tough game for Duke. State's guards are excellent- perhaps the next best backcourt and will be hard to stop going to the lane. State plays well in the ACC tourney and will give Duke all it can handle - the entire arena will be with them. It will be a close game- but I am hoping Duke's guards play strong in crunch time.

Henderson
03-11-2015, 10:01 PM
From here on out, every opponent will have something significant at stake. They're either looking at going home for the season, or there's an important seeding question at issue. It's one reason to love the energy this time of year.

Fasten your seat belts; it's going to be a bumpy flight.

sagegrouse
03-11-2015, 10:02 PM
Have you noticed who is on our side of the bracket -- NC State, Miami and Notre Dame? Likely we will have to beat two of the three teams we lost to in order to advance to the ACC Finals. State tomorrow, and, if we win, most likely Notre Dame or Miami in the semis.

Go Duke! Revenge is sweet!

Troublemaker
03-11-2015, 10:04 PM
Calling Kedsy! Please tell us your second game against the same opponent theory will apply tomorrow. I think Duke is better than they were when they played NC State last time--among other things, they have learned to mix up a variety of defenses, which will make things less predictable for the NC State offense--but are they better enough, given that NC State is playing well? Fingers crossed.

I think the biggest change will just be that (knock on wood) NCSU won't shoot 10-16 from three again and Duke (knock on wood) will shoot better than 7-27 from three.

Also, Duke's big men inexplicably doubled the post in the last one and NCSU made several big-to-big interior passes for dunks. Just play their post men straight up. The Pack's major threats are on the perimeter.

Billy Dat
03-11-2015, 10:19 PM
Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 6m6 minutes ago
with quick Cat Barber playing so well & Lacey & Turner still to account for in State's backcourt, thinking Duke might play lots of zone

FerryFor50
03-11-2015, 10:21 PM
I think State might come out and pull an NC State - lay an egg after a good showing.

Duke handled Barber the last time. Held him to 1-3 shooting, 4 points. And I think Duke's D has improved since then.

Lacey will still be a handful. Will Duke focus on him?

This game doesn't really scare me much at all, but NCSU has proven they are formidable.

OldPhiKap
03-11-2015, 10:23 PM
From here on out, every opponent will have something significant at stake. They're either looking at going home for the season, or there's an important seeding question at issue. It's one reason to love the energy this time of year.

Fasten your seat belts; it's going to be a bumpy flight.

This.

Our young players are fixin' to see that everything is amped to 11 now. And this is the easy part of March, compare to next week.

Quinn's leadership, and Tyus's ability to handle even more spotlight, are the key.

Should be a hell of a game.

Troublemaker
03-11-2015, 10:30 PM
How well Quinn and Matt (Justise?) guard Barber and Lacey may well dictate the outcome.

Don't forget Turner. He went for 16 in the first matchup. It's a 3-headed monster out there for State.

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 6m6 minutes ago
with quick Cat Barber playing so well & Lacey & Turner still to account for in State's backcourt, thinking Duke might play lots of zone

I'm thinking Lacey and Turner (and maybe even Cat at this point) would light up a zone. I expect m2m, and I expect it to be effective.

We don't need to shut down all three perimeter guys, but we can slow down two of them. Between Quinn, Matt, and Justise (when Duke plays big), we have enough perimeter defense to slow down two of the three.

I think NCSU may need all three of them to go off in order to win anyway. Duke's going to play well tomorrow.

gcashwell
03-11-2015, 10:34 PM
I feel as confident about this team as I did about the 2011 team. I like them, but I have a few questions. Tomorrow will be the type of game that will answer some of them for me. The main question is, "how much have we improved?"

Furniture
03-11-2015, 10:41 PM
Before heading overseas last week I dvdrd the games Duke would be in. I'm heading to Rio for a couple of days tomorrow so I intend to watch these games on Sunday evening after I get back. So not to spoil any surprise I will avoid basketball Internet for the next couple of days.
Go Duke!!

roywhite
03-11-2015, 10:45 PM
I feel as confident about this team as I did about the 2011 team. I like them, but I have a few questions. Tomorrow will be the type of game that will answer some of them for me. The main question is, "how much have we improved?"

Did you mean the 2010 national championship team, or the 2011 team which lost to Arizona?

I do think the game vs NCSU will be a good test; I've heard them projected as an 8 or 9 seed; they look better than that to me. Our perimeter defense will have to play well.

gcashwell
03-11-2015, 10:50 PM
Did you mean the 2010 national championship team, or the 2011 team which lost to Arizona?

I do think the game vs NCSU will be a good test; I've heard them projected as an 8 or 9 seed; they look better than that to me. Our perimeter defense will have to play well.

The team which lost to Arizona. The loss and return of Kyrie left me with some doubts about what I thought was a very good team.

MaxAMillion
03-11-2015, 11:03 PM

I feel we will be ready.

And so is NC State. Barber has been playing like an all-american. I think State is the worst matchup in the conference for Duke. I won't be shocked if State wins again.

OldPhiKap
03-11-2015, 11:05 PM
And so is NC State. Barber has been playing like an all-american. I think State is the worst matchup in the conference for Duke. I won't be shocked if State wins again.

It's a great test for our kids. State can certainly beat us. Time to learn what elimination hoops is all about. It's just been for fun to this point,

PackMan97
03-11-2015, 11:11 PM
Duke has earned the gratitude and respect from most Wolfpack fans this season based on your regular season sweep of the Cheaters. Don't blow all the good will by doing something stupid like winning tomorrow.

;)

newclasspack
03-11-2015, 11:27 PM
I mean.. yall are a one seed ANYWAY.. you don't have to show up...

Revenge is overrated.

Also when we played you guys last.. Cat had JUST became a brand new father... so his attention wasn't really on the game, and then the death of a close friend took him out completely for a while.. but sine the GT game he has been a different type of ball player.. but so has Tyus. It will be a Fun match up for sure.

Big Oak is gonna get his so in my eyes this game comes down to the guard / wing play.

gofurman
03-11-2015, 11:32 PM

This. 3 fast guards. Other teams are better but state is a real bad matchup.

Dukehky
03-11-2015, 11:53 PM
State scares me. I'm praying for them to get the 8 seed in Kentucky's bracket. They win tomorrow, they won't be on the 8/9 line anymore.

newclasspack
03-12-2015, 12:00 AM
State scares me. I'm praying for them to get the 8 seed in Kentucky's bracket. They win tomorrow, they won't be on the 8/9 line anymore.What did we ever do to you? Rude.

Regardless if both you and VA are 1 seeds we are gonna end up in either Kentucky's bracket or the other one seed

Dukehky
03-12-2015, 12:02 AM
What did we ever do to you? Rude.

Regardless if both you and VA are 1 seeds we are gonna end up in either Kentucky's bracket or the other one seed

Because if Lacey and Turner are hot, State can beat UK.

newclasspack
03-12-2015, 12:24 AM
Because if Lacey and Turner are hot, State can beat UK.So now I've seen this from a Duke fan, UNX fan, AND a UVA fan... why does this feel like a set up?

gumbomoop
03-12-2015, 12:51 AM
So now I've seen this from a Duke fan, UNX fan, AND a UVA fan... while does this feel like a set up?

I can't speak for anyone else, but an obvious possibility is that it's a sign of respect for Pack-potential, as Dukehky implies in recent post ^.

Of course you don't want Pack as 8-9 in UK region, and of course we do. Not because we hope you lose, but because we think, even if a long-shot, you just might win, bringing glory to NCSt and to the ACC, and eliminating a powerful team. After tomorrow night, we root for you, wholeheartedly.

If we had your interest uppermost, we'd want you to win the ACCT and get a 6-seed in Villanova's region. But we have our interest in our hearts, so mostly we want you to help us: by losing tomorrow, then beating UK in the YumBowl on March 21. Then we'll be happy to play you in the rubber match on April 6.

No more complaints or conspiracy suspicions. Deal?

subzero02
03-12-2015, 12:51 AM
We are favored by 7.5.. I am interested to see at what point in the game we go zone. With our 8 man rotation potentially playing 3 games in 3 days, I epxect to see zone for several stretches during the game regardless of the score.

newclasspack
03-12-2015, 12:55 AM
I can't speak for anyone else, but an obvious possibility is that it's a sign of respect for Pack-potential, as Dukehky implies in recent post ^.

Of course you don't want Pack as 8-9 in UK region, and of course we do. Not because we hope you lose, but because we think, even if a long-shot, you just might win, bringing glory to NCSt and to the ACC, and eliminating a powerful team. After tomorrow night, we root for you, wholeheartedly.

If we had your interest uppermost, we'd want you to win the ACCT and get a 6-seed in Villanova's region. But we have our interest in our hearts, so mostly we want you to help us: by losing tomorrow, then beating UK in the YumBowl on March 21. Then we'll be happy to play you in the rubber match on April 6.

No more complaints or conspiracy suspicions. Deal?As a Pack fan i cannot agree to that. its in our contracts. But i get you. its just a weird thing to hear.

subzero02
03-12-2015, 01:02 AM
Because if Lacey and Turner are hot, State can beat UK.

I agree... I noticed several dangerous 8/9 seeds in Lunardi's projections. NC State, Georgia and St. John's all have major upset potential IMO.

ice-9
03-12-2015, 01:12 AM
I agree... I noticed several dangerous 8/9 seeds in Lunardi's projections. NC State, Georgia and St. John's all have major upset potential IMO.

Have you seen the latest Bracketology? http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

I like Duke's path a LOT if it came to pass. But of course, this is Joe Lunardi we're talking about so...

gumbomoop
03-12-2015, 01:15 AM
As a Pack fan i cannot agree to that. its in our contracts. But i get you. its just a weird thing to hear.

As you and I seem still to be awake -- I because I'm in Hawaii, and you, because you're probably watching the amazing Chelsea-PSG replay -- let's keep going.

When you say you get me, do you mean you see why we might have glommed on to intriguing theory that you could knock off UK? Is that the weird thing, that anyone might seriously imagine the Pack, if in line to play those Cats on March 21 in Looville, could win? If yes, is it weird because Pack fans themselves think their guys have no hope against UK? To you and other Pack fanatics, if your team were not so unfortunate as to be in UK's region, how deep into the tourney do you think you could go? Seriously.

ETA: I see that others are still awake. Lots of Hawaiians tonight....... No, wait, they appear to be in Alaska.

newclasspack
03-12-2015, 01:36 AM
As you and I seem still to be awake -- I because I'm in Hawaii, and you, because you're probably watching the amazing Chelsea-PSG replay -- let's keep going.

When you say you get me, do you mean you see why we might have glommed on to intriguing theory that you could knock off UK? Is that the weird thing, that anyone might seriously imagine the Pack, if in line to play those Cats on March 21 in Looville, could win? If yes, is it weird because Pack fans themselves think their guys have no hope against UK? To you and other Pack fanatics, if your team were not so unfortunate as to be in UK's region, how deep into the tourney do you think you could go? Seriously.

ETA: I see that others are still awake. Lots of Hawaiians tonight....... No, wait, they appear to be in Alaska.I work Night shift for at&t in Durham so a lot of down time. and yea i think a scenario where we get hot and out shoot Kentucky is weird to me, as i just don't have the imagination for that. I feel like if we get into the other one seed bracket we have a good/great chance coming out of it. whether it b Villanova or Kansas

gumbomoop
03-12-2015, 01:38 AM
Have you seen the latest Bracketology? http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

I like Duke's path a LOT if it came to pass. But of course, this is Joe Lunardi we're talking about so...

I don't know what Lunardi knows, but I don't prefer to see Davidson until the FF. For 2 reasons. They're a pretty tough 8-9 seed. But also, because I really like McKillop, and would not prefer to be the team that takes them out. Until the FF; then, destroy 'em, if possible.

I hope Davidson gets a 7 or 10 seed somewhere.

grossbus
03-12-2015, 04:19 AM
I hope State used up all of their shots last night.

roywhite
03-12-2015, 08:24 AM
I look for Jahlil Okafor to come up big tonight. State has a very dangerous 3-guard lineup, but not enough size to contest Okafor down low.

With his ankle problem and double teams, Jahlil has not been the big scorer lately, but I think K will want to get him going. Should get plenty of touches.

MCFinARL
03-12-2015, 08:52 AM
I don't know what Lunardi knows, but I don't prefer to see Davidson until the FF. For 2 reasons. They're a pretty tough 8-9 seed. But also, because I really like McKillop, and would not prefer to be the team that takes them out. Until the FF; then, destroy 'em, if possible.

I hope Davidson gets a 7 or 10 seed somewhere.

And we wouldn't see them, according to Lunardi--maybe it has just changed this morning, but he now lists Davidson as the 9 seed in UVA's bracket; 8 and 9 seeds in Duke's bracket would be Oregon and Xavier.

superdave
03-12-2015, 09:03 AM
I think State might come out and pull an NC State - lay an egg after a good showing.

Duke handled Barber the last time. Held him to 1-3 shooting, 4 points. And I think Duke's D has improved since then.

This game doesn't really scare me much at all, but NCSU has proven they are formidable.

I agree with this. Cat Barber seems unlikely to go off two nights in a row. Randolph Childress' record is not going down by his hand.

I think Duke will have a gameplan to stop dribble penetration and to keep the D tight. Barber can be sped up and forced into mistakes and someone needs to be draped over Lacey for 40 minutes. Execute and we win.

davekay1971
03-12-2015, 09:09 AM
What did we ever do to you? Rude.

Funny reply! But, seriously, I, and a lot of folks around here, think that State would have a legitimate chance of upsetting Kentucky. As much talent as Kentucky has, they don't have anyone who can keep Barber out of the lane. Turner and Lacey would both have to be on, but I would have no worries about Lacey, because he gets up for big games. State's bigs are not quite the scoring threats that those three guards are, but they are capable finishers, and if Barber can get into the lane, Turner and Lacey can knock down the threes and open up Kentucky's defense, then Anya, Washington, etc can put away the open looks that they'd be likely to get. Honestly, unless Lacey and Turner were both just off, it would be a heck of a game.

As for tonight, I'm confident because Duke has been playing really well...but so has State. If this game doesn't go right down to the last few possessions, I'll be surprised.

Billy Dat
03-12-2015, 09:45 AM
Tonight begins a process of hopefully validating that this Duke team is different than those of recent vintage.

We have not had a season with this kind of off court drama in a long time - maybe ever:
K's 1000th, Ojeley transfer, Rasheed booted off the team, Rasheed "did he or didn't he" news headlines

On the court, it's been a wild ride:
As good a collection of road scalps as we've collected in recent memory, epic comebacks in huge games (esp. UVA, UNC and St. Johns), other statement wins (Louisville, Notre Dame home, UNC road), Jah's injury, the Jah-less beatdown of Clemson, but also a horrendous home loss to Miami, a road collapse against ND, etc.

With all this drama, and our ongoing vulnerability against quick penetrating backcourts and generally average defense, we are on an 11 game winning streak. We have avenged one of our 3 losses already and have a chance to avenge another one tonight, against a team that on paper and in reality gives us trouble.

We're supposed to be a #1 seed, but we've under-performed against high seeds in the recent past. We all feel like our team is Final Four worthy, different from recent iterations because of all that is listed above.

Well, talk is cheap. I know conference tournament success does not correlate with NCAA Tournament success, but I want to keep this party going. State is hot, they are built to give us trouble, so we need to go out and beat them.

Let's go baby!!!!!!!!!!

jipops
03-12-2015, 09:48 AM
I think it's going to be an epic game. My biggest concern is Lacey who is the nation's top iso player and could feast on our defense. Hopefully we can maintain our own on the boards. Though they are not especially long, they do have a lot of bulk in the paint. This is where Okafor absolutely has to come through for us. I don't think we survive with another 4 rebound outing from him.

State's defense was not especially strong in the 2nd half last night. I expect it to be a high scoring affair well into the 80's and above, especially with our on/off again defense.

roywhite
03-12-2015, 10:06 AM
I think it's going to be an epic game. My biggest concern is Lacey who is the nation's top iso player and could feast on our defense. Hopefully we can maintain our own on the boards. Though they are not especially long, they do have a lot of bulk in the paint. This is where Okafor absolutely has to come through for us. I don't think we survive with another 4 rebound outing from him.

State's defense was not especially strong in the 2nd half last night. I expect it to be a high scoring affair well into the 80's and above, especially with our on/off again defense.

Noticed your comment on Lacey and checked some stats:
He is averaging 16.2 pts/game on 44.7% FG, 40.7% 3-pt, and 73.7% FT shooting.
Lacey gets to the line fewer than 4 times per game, so that wouldn't seem characteristic of a guy who is really good at drives and drawing contact. He is physically strong, 23 years old, and listed at 210 pounds. Has 108 assists and 57 turnovers on the year, good numbers for a shooting guard. Not sure if I would call him the nation's top iso player, but he is plenty good.

Wolfpack as a team are 87th in points per game, but only 150th in FG% at 44% overall, and 257th in assists at 11.6/game. Fair to say they generate a lot of their points from their backcourt, who can shoot the 3 and create their own shots. Duke needs to check Lacey and Barber reasonably well, and then have the advantage inside with Okafor, and some driving room for Justise.

I like Duke by about 10 points, competitive game, and draw away late.

FerryFor50
03-12-2015, 10:12 AM
Lacey gets to the line fewer than 4 times per game, so that wouldn't seem characteristic of a guy who is really good at drives and drawing contact. He is physically strong, 23 years old, and listed at 210 pounds. Has 108 assists and 57 turnovers on the year, good numbers for a shooting guard. Not sure if I would call him the nation's top iso player, but he is plenty good.

Wolfpack as a team are 87th in points per game, but only 150th in FG% at 44% overall, and 257th in assists at 11.6/game. Fair to say they generate a lot of their points from their backcourt, who can shoot the 3 and create their own shots. Duke needs to check Lacey and Barber reasonably well, and then have the advantage inside with Okafor, and some driving room for Justise.

He also missed a wide open bunny against UVA that would have won or tied the game (I forget which).

Lacey started out the season great and then slumped a bit. He's picked it back up lately, but that whole team is streaky.

newclasspack
03-12-2015, 10:15 AM

he IS the nations leading player in iso points scored though

DukeinDC
03-12-2015, 10:16 AM
As many have said, we couldn't ask for a better test heading into the tournament. In fact, Laura Keeley made the point on the DBR podcast before the tournament. This is often the type of team that has given Duke fits in the tournament and good as wins have been against UNC, L'ville, UVA, etc. in our win streak - with the exception of ND's Grant (a hobbled Paige doesn't count) - we haven't faced guards capable of exposing us in a while. And you can argue the Va Tech game proved it's still an issue - our lack of effort notwithstanding.

I'm hoping Duke throws in a mix of defenses tonight to contain penetration but not let them get comfortable shooting 3s either. Our improvement - if it's there - seems to be much more about increased versatility rather than playing truly better defense in any particular set. Offensively, it seems we are pushing the ball up court much more aggressively than during the last game - even after makes. I expect that to become another weapon to keep them on their heels just a bit more when they have the ball.

If we lose the game because of another wildly off shooting night (FTs or 3PTs), fine - let's get it out of our system. But if we lose because we can't contain their guards, I'm a lot more concerned about our chances in the big dance.

Trey21
03-12-2015, 10:20 AM
Should be an exciting game. State can be scary when they want to be. This will be an excellent first test in terms of getting the team ready for the NCAA and hopefully it will be the first step towards a 2015 ACC banner.

I'm happy for Cat Barber considering all that he has been through this season. The past couple games he has just kicked it into another gear. I remember Duke went after him for a while, and ever since his high school days he has shown glimpses of being a really special player. He's speed is really really impressive. If he can shoot like he did last night and develop a bit more, he could potentially be a solid NBA player.

roywhite
03-12-2015, 10:22 AM
he IS the nations leading player in iso points scored though

Thanks. I haven't come across that kind of stat breakdown. Where do you find such info?

flyingdutchdevil
03-12-2015, 10:26 AM
This is a game of one of the best backcourts in the ACC (and in the nation, when they are on) with a subpar frontcourt going against a team that is stacked at the 1-5 featuring the best offensive big man in the country, a clutch PG, a leader 2 with an amazing 3pt game, and the Human Swiss Army Knife. However, this team's kryptonite has been talented, speedy guards. And, unfortunately, NC State has them.

I'm a little worried about this game, because the NC State guards are either fast, big, or a both. The good news is that only three play. The bad news is that all three are very talented and play a lot.

However, their frontcourt is not talented. And not tall either. The tallest player in the rotation is 6'9". This is a game where Okafor can and should absolutely dominate. However, given that 5 bigmen play the 4 and 5, this may be the first time we see the Hack-A-Jah in full force. If I were NC State, I would continuously foul Okafor. It just seems like their only strategy to defeat the Oak.

I don't expect Duke to play zone for the majority of the game (nice experiment, but this is Coach K we're talking about), but I do expect Coach K to throw some 3-2 zone out there once in a while to confuse the enemy.

Should be an exciting game filled with plenty of points (Duke and State are ranked 62 and 78, respectively, in defensive efficiency according to KenPom). Go Duke!

FerryFor50
03-12-2015, 10:31 AM
This is a game of one of the best backcourts in the ACC (and in the nation, when they are on) with a subpar frontcourt going against a team that is stacked at the 1-5 featuring the best offensive big man in the country, a clutch PG, a leader 2 with an amazing 3pt game, and the Human Swiss Army Knife. However, this team's kryptonite has been talented, speedy guards. And, unfortunately, NC State has them.

I'm a little worried about this game, because the NC State guards are either fast, big, or a both. The good news is that only three play. The bad news is that all three are very talented and play a lot.

However, their frontcourt is not talented. And not tall either. The tallest player in the rotation is 6'9". This is a game where Okafor can and should absolutely dominate. However, given that 5 bigmen play the 4 and 5, this may be the first time we see the Hack-A-Jah in full force. If I were NC State, I would continuously foul Okafor. It just seems like their only strategy to defeat the Oak.

I don't expect Duke to play zone for the majority of the game (nice experiment, but this is Coach K we're talking about), but I do expect Coach K to throw some 3-2 zone out there once in a while to confuse the enemy.

Should be an exciting game filled with plenty of points (Duke and State are ranked 62 and 78, respectively, in defensive efficiency according to KenPom). Go Duke!

Tallest big is 6'9," but BeeJay Anya will be a headache for Okafor if he can stay out of foul trouble. Anya has great timing on blocked shots (mostly weak side blocks, though) and is a big boy (pushing 300lbs). And he has, like, a 100foot wingspan.

I'd expect to see Abu on Okafor (Abu is also a big boy) and Anya/Washington helping.

CDu
03-12-2015, 10:35 AM
As I mentioned a month or so ago, State was the team I didn't want to see as our #7 seed. Aside from Virginia, this is the matchup that concerns me most in the ACC tournament. I think State may actually be the third most talented team in the conference. They have two dead-eye 3pt shooters in Lacey and Turner. These two guys are capable of hitting any shot with or without a defender draped all over them. They have perhaps the quickest PG in the conference since Ty Lawson, and that PG is REALLY dialed in right now for the first time in his college career. They have tons of size, with four capable bigs each providing a different skill set (Anya is the shotblocker and post scorer; Abu is the best athlete; Freeman is a rebounding machine; Washington is the best shooter).

So why is State a 7 seed rather than a 3 or 4 seed? They just haven't always come to play this season. Lots of head-scratching losses, including an embarassing showing at BC a week and a half ago. However, they've beaten us, they've beaten UNC at UNC (and came just short of a sweep), and they've beaten Louisville. They can play with anybody. And they can certainly play with us.

We'll need to be playing well defensively, and hope that Lacey and Turner don't catch fire. Those guys create a problem for our small backcourt, as Cook or Jones will have to guard one of them and try to prevent them from getting space to elevate and shoot over them. It'll be a tough matchup. The other big challenge will be how we contain Cat Barber. That kid has suddenly figured it out, and has been playing at an All-ACC level (17.6 ppg, 4.2 apg, 47.3 fg%) for the past 10 games. We can't let him get going in transition. We need to make him a jumpshooter and not a driver.

Should be a good game. Hopefully we continue our streak of playing better in rematches than we did in the first game!

Saratoga2
03-12-2015, 10:41 AM
Because we have been winners in the ACC this year we had the benefit of a double bye, which means all teams we play in the ACC tournament will be capable and potentially could beat us. UNC is a decent team who matches up with us well and has a game in the arena behind them. That could be a plus from the prepective of shooting or a liability from the aspect of their players being tired. I am looking forward to the game as both teams should give us their best and as a Duke fan, I hope we are just a little better this time around.

MChambers
03-12-2015, 10:56 AM
As I mentioned a month or so ago, State was the team I didn't want to see as our #7 seed. Aside from Virginia, this is the matchup that concerns me most in the ACC tournament. I think State may actually be the third most talented team in the conference. They have two dead-eye 3pt shooters in Lacey and Turner. These two guys are capable of hitting any shot with or without a defender draped all over them. They have perhaps the quickest PG in the conference since Ty Lawson, and that PG is REALLY dialed in right now for the first time in his college career. They have tons of size, with four capable bigs each providing a different skill set (Anya is the shotblocker and post scorer; Abu is the best athlete; Freeman is a rebounding machine; Washington is the best shooter).

So why is State a 7 seed rather than a 3 or 4 seed? They just haven't always come to play this season. Lots of head-scratching losses, including an embarassing showing at BC a week and a half ago. However, they've beaten us, they've beaten UNC at UNC (and came just short of a sweep), and they've beaten Louisville. They can play with anybody. And they can certainly play with us.

We'll need to be playing well defensively, and hope that Lacey and Turner don't catch fire. Those guys create a problem for our small backcourt, as Cook or Jones will have to guard one of them and try to prevent them from getting space to elevate and shoot over them. It'll be a tough matchup. The other big challenge will be how we contain Cat Barber. That kid has suddenly figured it out, and has been playing at an All-ACC level (17.6 ppg, 4.2 apg, 47.3 fg%) for the past 10 games. We can't let him get going in transition. We need to make him a jumpshooter and not a driver.

Should be a good game. Hopefully we continue our streak of playing better in rematches than we did in the first game!
I agree that State is a tough matchup. I'm choosing to look at this as an opportunity for the team to show it's improved its defense against such teams. We'll need better defense in the NCAAs, so this is a good test.

PackMan97
03-12-2015, 11:06 AM
Because we have been winners in the ACC this year we had the benefit of a double bye, which means all teams we play in the ACC tournament will be capable and potentially could beat us. UNC is a decent team who matches up with us well and has a game in the arena behind them. That could be a plus from the prepective of shooting or a liability from the aspect of their players being tired. I am looking forward to the game as both teams should give us their best and as a Duke fan, I hope we are just a little better this time around.

Uncool dude. Uncool. :mad:

newclasspack
03-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Thanks. I haven't come across that kind of stat breakdown. Where do you find such info?everytime we play a game the announcer make a point of bringing it up. every. single. time. i've just gone with it.

FerryFor50
03-12-2015, 11:22 AM
Uncool dude. Uncool. :mad:

UNC State?

newclasspack
03-12-2015, 11:26 AM

Okafor got 23 and 12 last time but he was not efficient at all. we don't need to shut down okafor just bother him and frustrate him. we do that plus our guard are working, its a game. last time it was turner and lacey. if we can add cat to that then who knows.

newclasspack
03-12-2015, 11:27 AM
UNC State?

why must you say hurtful things

mgtr
03-12-2015, 11:33 AM
Lotta talk about Lacey and Turner. Wasn't that the name of a TV series?

DukeFanSince1990
03-12-2015, 11:35 AM

Pretty sure you are thinking about Cagney and Hooch.

Kedsy
03-12-2015, 11:45 AM

Yeah, this will be a good test for my rematch hypothesis. And I think we will play better. In the first game it looked to me as if the Duke players were surprised at how good State was, and unprepared for the level of intensity State brought. That shouldn't be a problem tonight. State still has the type of guards that appear to be our "kryptonite," as FDD put it, but I think our guys will be more ready to deal with them this time.

roywhite
03-12-2015, 11:52 AM

Pretty sure you are thinking about Cagney and Hooch.

Yeah, one of those....and Beejay plays the role of "Husky" or is it "Starch"?

Troublemaker
03-12-2015, 11:53 AM
While much has been said about how Duke matches up against NCSU's guards, the Pack actually have an underrated defense as well. While they are ranked 30th on offense and 78th on defense by Kenpom across all games, in conference play, they've actually had the 7th-best offense in the ACC and 4th-best defense, behind UVA, Louisville, and Clemson. The Pack's signature win this season in Chapel Hill was one of complete defensive domination, holding the Heels to 0.7 ppp, led by Beejay Anya's 6 blocked shots.

So, NCSU's defense should actually be a concern as well. If the Pack can pull off the upset, it will be in large part due to Anya and company being able to shut down Duke's penetration with their shotblocking. The Pack had 10 blocked shots against Duke in the first matchup. What Duke might do to counter this is to put Anya in ball screens.

bedeviled
03-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Thanks. I haven't come across that kind of stat breakdown. Where do you find such info?This article in the Fayetteville Observer (http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/from-butler-to-alabama-now-at-n-c-state-trevor/article_3901a608-bba7-11e4-a431-935ee83cdab5.html) states that the stat is from Synergy Sports. It's a story on Lacey, but does include a list of the top iso players (http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/fayobserver.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/87/e87de274-bbaa-11e4-9ce9-57a13b22ddb5/54eba9259f4f4.image.jpg).

Some tidbits from the article:

With access to 23 of Lacey’s 26 games, Synergy credits him with 48-of-84 shooting (57.1 percent) and 130 points on 99 iso possessions. His points-per-possession figure of 1.313 is significantly higher than the 1.224 from second-place Tyler Harvey, who has had only 49 of those possessions for Eastern Washington.

Of the top 12 players in efficiency, only Lacey and Penn State’s D.J. Newbill have amassed at least 70 iso possessions.

Lacey, it should be noted, said Gottfried has called an iso play for him in a halfcourt set only once all season

How did Lacey become so effective in iso situations? He gives some credit to Austin Rivers...[SNIP]....“He was able to shoot the ball off the dribble so well in high school, I really picked up on that and just watched him,” Lacey says.

Also, while searching for the stat, I stumbled onto this tweet from Synergy (https://twitter.com/synergysst/status/570419067405737984) (2/24):
North Carolina State is the top ISO team in college basketball. Here's a snapshot of their one-on-one success.

devildeac
03-12-2015, 12:46 PM
UNC State?

why must you say hurtful things

I'd wager he was referencing this thread:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?35559-UNC-State-!-!-!

jipops
03-12-2015, 12:47 PM
This article in the Fayetteville Observer (http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/from-butler-to-alabama-now-at-n-c-state-trevor/article_3901a608-bba7-11e4-a431-935ee83cdab5.html) states that the stat is from Synergy Sports. It's a story on Lacey, but does include a list of the top iso players (http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/fayobserver.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/87/e87de274-bbaa-11e4-9ce9-57a13b22ddb5/54eba9259f4f4.image.jpg).

Also, while searching for the stat, I stumbled onto this tweet from Synergy (https://twitter.com/synergysst/status/570419067405737984) (2/24):
North Carolina State is the top ISO team in college basketball. Here's a snapshot of their one-on-one success.

Hmm, this could be rather significant in tonight's game. I don't think State will have too much trouble scoring on our D. It will be imperative that our perimeter guys are hitting and that we're able to get them in foul trouble on drives.

PackMan97
03-12-2015, 01:16 PM
Hmm, this could be rather significant in tonight's game. I don't think State will have too much trouble scoring on our D. It will be imperative that our perimeter guys are hitting and that we're able to get them in foul trouble on drives.

Fascinating! Thanks for the link. I seem to recall either the first season that Gottfried was here, or maybe the second...NC State was near the top in the nation in assists per basket. It's odd to now see us lead in isolation scoring. Though I guess it's nice to know the coach is flexible enough to adapt to the team he has.

rsvman
03-12-2015, 02:28 PM
This article in the Fayetteville Observer (http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/from-butler-to-alabama-now-at-n-c-state-trevor/article_3901a608-bba7-11e4-a431-935ee83cdab5.html) states that the stat is from Synergy Sports. It's a story on Lacey, but does include a list of the top iso players (http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/fayobserver.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/87/e87de274-bbaa-11e4-9ce9-57a13b22ddb5/54eba9259f4f4.image.jpg).

Looks like the D should try to force them to the left side of the court as often as possible.

newclasspack
03-12-2015, 03:16 PM
Looks like the D should try to force them to the left side of the court as often as possible.we will be expecting that. force them right to throw us off

Troublemaker
03-12-2015, 05:00 PM

I'd be very surprised if that comes to fruition, based on how Duke has played defense recently.

Telling you guys -- if NCSU can pull off the upset, it'll be their defense that carries the torch.

I don't expect it. I think Duke covers that 7.5-pt spread.

hurleyfor3
03-12-2015, 05:31 PM
This will be our toughest game in the tournament.

PackMan97
03-12-2015, 05:33 PM
I think Duke covers that 7.5-pt spread.

If Duke wins, I think you guys cover. Otherwise State wins.

Our bigs are good enough defensively to cause y'all problems for all players not named Okafor. Even then, if we can limit his opportunities and not allow him to make passes to open guys when we do stop him it will limit his ability to impact the game.

I think the real key will be State's ability to get points in the paint, either with our bigs or our guards driving. We aren't a team that can live by the three, imo.

jv001
03-12-2015, 05:41 PM

I agree it will be our toughest game in the tournament. I list the top 4 ACC teams in this order: 1) Duke, 1A) Virginia, 3) NC State 4) Notre Dame. GoDuke!

devildeac
03-12-2015, 05:54 PM
If Duke wins, I think you guys cover. Otherwise State wins.

Our bigs are good enough defensively to cause y'all problems for all players not named Okafor. Even then, if we can limit his opportunities and not allow him to make passes to open guys when we do stop him it will limit his ability to impact the game.

I think the real key will be State's ability to get points in the paint, either with our bigs or our guards driving. We aren't a team that can live by the three, imo.

Y'all did in Raleigh:mad:. Hope your shooters took good notes from the L'ville masonry team. :D

-jk
03-12-2015, 06:36 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

downeastdad
03-12-2015, 07:17 PM
We could really disappoint Bolas by winning this.

Karl Beem
03-12-2015, 08:03 PM
Bolas?

NYBri
03-12-2015, 08:05 PM
First half smack down complete. According to Bilas, it's all because State didn't play well.

Let's hope State does not play well for another half.

timmy c
03-12-2015, 08:09 PM

Man, I hope you're right!

NancyCarol
03-12-2015, 08:34 PM
wow that take down on the screen was amazing.

downeastdad
03-12-2015, 08:37 PM
Marshall with 10. I love it!

arnie
03-12-2015, 08:40 PM
wow that take down on the screen was amazing.

Now Giglio with N&O can blame the loss on dirty play by Amile. Of course it wasn't, but allows discussion to go against us.

gep
03-12-2015, 08:46 PM
Marshall with 10. I love it!

Can't watch the game... but just looked at the stats. Marshall is 6-6 for 12 points!!!! What's going on!!!!

FerryFor50
03-12-2015, 08:46 PM

Ahem.

FerryFor50
03-12-2015, 08:48 PM
Can't watch the game... but just looked at the stats. Marshall is 6-6 for 12 points!!!! What's going on!!!!

All dunks. Most on alleyoops. Channeling Plumlee Power.

arnie
03-12-2015, 08:48 PM

Would u believe 6-18 foot jump shots?