PDA

View Full Version : Duke, Wisconsin Headline 2015 2K Classic at MSG

Bluedog
03-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Duke, Wisconsin, Georgetown, and VCU will be playing in the "championship round" / semifinals at MSG as part of the early season tournament next season. I would think that Duke and Wisconsin will be on opposite sides of the bracket, but it doesn't say that yet. Two games will be played on campus prior to MSG and will be announced at a later date (the results of which do not determine who makes it to NYC -- the four are already locked in). I believe there is perhaps only one (or two?) early season "tournaments" which haven't gone to the "pre-determined semi-finals" route, right?
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/duke-wisconsin-headline-2k-classic-140658576--ncaab.html

pfrduke
03-11-2015, 12:45 PM
Duke, Wisconsin, Georgetown, and VCU will be playing in the "championship round" / semifinals at MSG as part of the early season tournament next season. I would think that Duke and Wisconsin will be on opposite sides of the bracket, but it doesn't say that yet. Two games will be played on campus prior to MSG and will be announced at a later date (the results of which do not determine who makes it to NYC -- the four are already locked in). I believe there is perhaps only one (or two?) early season "tournaments" which haven't gone to the "pre-determined semi-finals" route, right?
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/duke-wisconsin-headline-2k-classic-140658576--ncaab.html

I think the preseason NIT is the only remaining holdout against that route.

But that's a great field for the tournament - far better than Duke's preseason tournament field this year.

flyingdutchdevil
03-11-2015, 02:16 PM
...but when can I get tickets? This is perfect for my annual trip to NYC.

CDu
03-11-2015, 02:19 PM
Wisconsin loses Kaminsky, Gasser, Jackson, and Dukan to graduation, and (possibly) Dekker to early entry. Next year might not be a very good year for the Badgers. So I do wonder if this field is going to look very good come next season.

tbyers11
03-11-2015, 02:28 PM
...but when can I get tickets? This is perfect for my annual trip to NYC.

Most of the other articles (except the Yahoo one linked above and Laura Keeley's blurb in the N & O) state that tickets go on sale to the general public via Ticketmaster this Friday March 13th. However, when I went to Ticketmaster just now they didn't have anything listed. Seems a bit odd for something that goes on sale in 2 days.

jv001
03-11-2015, 02:49 PM
Wisconsin loses Kaminsky, Gasser, Jackson, and Dukan to graduation, and (possibly) Dekker to early entry. Next year might not be a very good year for the Badgers. So I do wonder if this field is going to look very good come next season.

Thanks for the information on Wisconsin's seniors. With Duke losing Quinn and most likely Jahlil and Justise and quite possibly Tyus, both teams will not be as strong as they are this season. GoDuke!

CDu
03-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the information on Wisconsin's seniors. With Duke losing Quinn and most likely Jahlil and Justise and quite possibly Tyus, both teams will not be as strong as they are this season. GoDuke!

Very true. It remains to be seen what both rosters will look like. Though historically Duke has tended to bring in more talent year to year, and we are still very much alive for some big-name freshmen. I'd say we're more likely to be better than Wisconsin next year, but it is definitely an unknown with our group too. And I certainly wouldn't expect us to be as good next year as we are this year.

jv001
03-11-2015, 02:58 PM
Very true. It remains to be seen what both rosters will look like. Though historically Duke has tended to bring in more talent year to year, and we are still very much alive for some big-name freshmen. I'd say we're more likely to be better than Wisconsin next year, but it is definitely an unknown with our group too. And I certainly wouldn't expect us to be as good next year as we are this year.

I agree so I suggest we make this season one to remember. :cool: The season that 4 freshmen came in and played unselfishly with 1 senior, 2 juniors and 1 sophomore. These guys genuinely like each other. GoDuke!

DU82
03-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Isn't it a bit early for this? We just had 1K.

Badgerblue
03-12-2015, 11:33 AM

Very excited to be a part of this tourney and as a New York area resident, I will be there. Hope we can get another chance to play you guys.

Wisconsin definitely loses a lot. Kaminsky is obviously huge and Gasser has been a four-year starter (the only player under Ryan who ever started every game he played in for four years, as far as I know). Jackson will be missed tremendously, and though we're set at point guard next year, we will have a lot of questions at the other guard position. Bo Ryan generally puts a good team on the floor -- Koenig and Hayes will be two all-conference level guys. Everyone else, who knows? We have a solid recruiting class coming in (solid as far as Wisconsin recruits go), but we rarely expect freshman to contribute immediately under Ryan.

There are two big decisions that will greatly affect the dynamic of the team next year:

-Will Sam Dekker return for his senior year, as CDu mentions? I expect that he won’t. If he does, that changes a lot.

-Will Diamond Stone choose Wisconsin? If so he would be, almost certainly, the biggest recruiting fish Bo Ryan has ever reeled in – a one-and-done type, which we’ve never had. That would change the makeup of the team next year and Stone would probably go right into the starting lineup. The chatter is that UW has the inside track for him, but too much weird stuff happens for us to count on it.

So yeah, Wisconsin will be weaker next year. Bo Ryan has been a remarkably consistent winner with whoever he puts on the floor, but with a lot of new personnel, the nonconference season could be a rough ride. Still, the best thing about being a Wisconsin fan is watching guys develop and improve over four years – we have two guys redshirting right now that I expect to get significant minutes next year (Ethan Happ and Jordan Hill). Usually a guy or two makes a big leap, and it’s always fun to see who it is (Kaminsky last year, Koenig this year).

For Duke, I guess a lot hinges on whether Tyus Jones sticks around or not. I guess Winslow is probably gone, right? Still, looks like Duke may not be a very deep team next year, but there are some players. Love the way Grayson Allen looks. Any other recruits Duke is waiting on?

By the way, we all thought there was a good chance Semi was going to give Wisconsin a good, hard look. Disappointed he didn’t. Probably could use him next year.