PDA

View Full Version : Raleigh N&O on Quinn

TKG
03-10-2015, 08:57 AM
Laura Keeley has a nice piece on Quinn in today's Raleigh News & Observer.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article13137869.html

Trivia: only four Duke players -now including Quinn - have ever run the timed mile in less than 5 minutes: J. Dawkins (4:38) is the record holder. The other two are
Demarcus Nelson and Kyle Singler.

Reisen
03-10-2015, 09:32 AM
Cool link, thanks for posting.

That trivia fact is kind of surprising. A couple of thoughts.

- Dawkins, Cook, and Nelson make sense, but Singler doing that at 6-8 is really impressive.

- Even more impressive is the margin by which Dawkins wins (a full 21 seconds over Cook).

- I'm surprised there aren't more. I never ran a sub 5-minute mile, but I used to run a 5:15. I suppose these guys are probably carrying way more upper body weight than I was, and are probably trained more for burst than for distance.

- Names I could have seen on that list: Almost any of our guards (Paulus, Duhon, JWill, etc.), Maggette, Henderson.

MChambers
03-10-2015, 10:05 AM
I'm very surprised Hurley isn't on the list.

MCFinARL
03-10-2015, 10:48 AM
My favorite part of this article--

Take one moment, with about seven minutes left against Clemson. Cook hit a 3 from the left corner to extend the Blue Devils’ lead to 71-45. Then he went to work immediately on Duke’s press, pressuring Gabe DeVoe toward the Duke bench, and he lost the ball out of bounds. Turnover forced, Cook gave Krzyzewski a high-five – and Krzyzewski pulled him in for a bear hug.

“I got excited seeing Coach jumping and hugging Nolan (Smith), hugging Kyle Singler, that’s stuff that I dreamed about,” Cook said after the game. “While we’re here in the moment, we want to take full advantage of it.”

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article13137869.html#storylink=cpy

So happy to see that Quinn has achieved something he was clearly longing for through the years when his relationship with the coaches seemed stormy at times. It's terrific.

Ultrarunner
03-10-2015, 10:50 AM

- Dawkins, Cook, and Nelson make sense, but Singler doing that at 6-8 is really impressive.

- Even more impressive is the margin by which Dawkins wins (a full 21 seconds over Cook).

- I'm surprised there aren't more. I never ran a sub 5-minute mile, but I used to run a 5:15. I suppose these guys are probably carrying way more upper body weight than I was, and are probably trained more for burst than for distance.

- Names I could have seen on that list: Almost any of our guards (Paulus, Duhon, JWill, etc.), Maggette, Henderson.

It's a bit surprising until you consider that even the guards are over-sized as runners. Like you, I hit a 5:15 in high school but I was 6'4" and 165#. Really big for a distance runner. For comparison purposes, Alan Webb is 5'9" and 145#. Galen Rupp is 5'11" and 138#. If I recall correctly, the great Steve Scott was 6'1" and about 155#. The East Africans are even lighter.

That makes Singler's sub-5:00 mile a bit mind-blowing.

Clay Feet POF
03-10-2015, 11:03 AM

So happy to see that Quinn has achieved something he was clearly longing for through the years when his relationship with the coaches seemed stormy at times. It's terrific.

This is why I think “K” coaches many more years. It’s like he gets more grandkids each year and then he guides and watches them grow as players and Men. It’s got to keep you Young and Satisfied.

Mike Corey
03-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing this.

Cook's earned every bit of praise that is coming his way.

luvdahops
03-10-2015, 11:12 AM
One of my favorite things about being a Duke fan is seeing guys make a big leap as seniors. We have had a number do it over the years - I am sure I am leaving a few guys out, but off the top of my head would include Abdelnaby, Tony Lang, Collins, CC, Dahntay, Scheyer, Mason and maybe Seth in that category.

Troublemaker
03-10-2015, 11:27 AM

Yeah, that was great.

It's been a pleasure to watch Quinn have a tremendous senior season. He's become a man who is mature and takes on responsibilities, as Coach K would say and probably has said. The responsibility of leading, nurturing, and teaching this young team is such a key role and will continue to be a key role for the program going forward. Those in that leadership position (Amile next year) can look to Quinn for his example in leadership and selflessness.

MChambers
03-10-2015, 11:33 AM
One of my favorite things about being a Duke fan is seeing guys make a big leap as seniors. We have had a number do it over the years - I am sure I am leaving a few guys out, but off the top of my head would include Abdelnaby, Tony Lang, Collins, CC, Dahntay, Scheyer, Mason and maybe Seth in that category.
Nolan Smith, too.

Henderson
03-10-2015, 11:37 AM
Nolan Smith, too.

Zoubs.

NYBri
03-10-2015, 11:41 AM
I'm very surprised Hurley isn't on the list.

Hurley could run all day, but don't know about speed.

Lar77
03-10-2015, 11:47 AM
Laura Keeley has a nice piece on Quinn in today's Raleigh News & Observer.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article13137869.html

Trivia: only four Duke players -now including Quinn - have ever run the timed mile in less than 5 minutes: J. Dawkins (4:38) is the record holder. The other two are
Demarcus Nelson and Kyle Singler.

Great article. Quick question for any who know: What was JJ's time? I kind of recall reading that he was off the charts compared to the rest of the team.

dukebluesincebirth
03-10-2015, 11:54 AM
I don't post much, but I feel a need to express just how proud I am of Quinn Cook. Talk about a player growing and maturing on and off the court...wow. I've gone from not liking that much to absolutely loving him. To me, his college journey epitomizes what college athletics can and should be all about. Witnessing this process of Quinn listening to his leaders, accepting constructive criticism, changing his ways, then becoming a leader to others has been special. Even if he would've only focused on improving his attitude and not his game, I'd still be proud of him....but he was named a 2nd team All-American! Win or lose from here on out, Quinn is already a huge success in my eyes. He is what Duke bball and 1K have always been about: building character and transforming boys into good men. It's been amazing and beautiful to watch. Proud of ya Quinn! And I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Dev11
03-10-2015, 12:00 PM
Wait, Kyle Singler is 6-8 and ranged from like 215 to 240 during his time in college. How the heck did he run a 5 minute mile? If it wasn't peak silly season, we'd need a separate thread for this feat.

Henderson
03-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Wait, Kyle Singler is 6-8 and ranged from like 215 to 240 during his time in college. How the heck did he run a 5 minute mile? If it wasn't peak silly season, we'd need a separate thread for this feat.

He's from Oregon. It's genetic.

killerleft
03-10-2015, 12:40 PM

I've heard that some guy named Carraway, Carousel, something like that, had a pretty swell senior season once upon a time. What was his... Chris Carrawell!! ACC Player of the Year from out of nowhere!!! Ask Wojo about him;)

Henderson
03-10-2015, 12:44 PM
I've heard that some guy named Carraway, Carousel, something like that, had a pretty swell senior season once upon a time. What was his... Chris Carrawell!! ACC Player of the Year from out of nowhere!!! Ask Wojo about him;)

I assumed that "CC" in luvdahops' post was already a (well-deserved) tip-o'-the-hat to Chris Carrawell. Your expansion on that theme seems right too.

DukieTiger
03-10-2015, 12:55 PM
Glad C-Well was mentioned. I've thought about him a few times this year when I've thought about QC. Obviously different players, but I've remembered fondly the jump C-Well made as a senior, his leadership as the only senior on a talented team (ok Battier and the Dogg were there, but still...) and even his endurance. I remember reading about his endurance and how K could basically play him 40 mpg because he was in such great shape that he caught his breath at the free throw line or during dead balls and could play flat out all game. I also remember reading about how he was just a refuse-to-lose type of guy as a senior, in his last go-round.

All of those things remind me of Quinn, and appreciate the treat of getting to see him accomplish so much as a senior. Once upon a time, QC was a HUGE recruit for Duke in a lot of ways- cool to see finish his career as he has.

luvdahops
03-10-2015, 01:23 PM
Nolan Smith, too.

Agreed. Can't believe I left him out.

luvdahops
03-10-2015, 01:24 PM
I assumed that "CC" in luvdahops' post was already a (well-deserved) tip-o'-the-hat to Chris Carrawell. Your expansion on that theme seems right too.

Correct - CC was indeed a reference to Chris Carrawell. And I totally agree with killerleft's characterization of his senior year.

killerleft
03-10-2015, 01:26 PM

Yep, I see that now. Nervermind, luvdahops, good job!!:o I'll go eat some Carraway seeds.

jv001
03-10-2015, 04:07 PM
Correct - CC was indeed a reference to Chris Carrawell. And I totally agree with killerleft's characterization of his senior year.

I was also thinking of Chris Collins. We've had several players that really improved by their senior years. John Smith and Quinn Snyder come to mind. GoDuke!

Terrible memory. I meant David Henderson, not John Smith. John was a good player but not as good as David. GoDuke!

Richard Berg
03-10-2015, 04:17 PM

Duhon

Edouble
03-10-2015, 05:40 PM

Paulus? To say it nicely... he's like the last Duke player that I would guess would be responsible for any noteworthy athletic/strength accomplishment.

Hendo? He was sidelined his whole freshman year due to exercise induced asthma. Not a guy with the kind of lung capacity that makes you think he would bust out a sub-5:00 mile.

Now Scheyer, with his legendary VO2 max, is who I would have tabbed.

Bob Green
03-10-2015, 09:08 PM
A sub 5:00 mile is easy ;) I ran them multiple times in high school with my best time being 4:43. Of course, it helped that I was 6' 135 pounds in high school. Now days I run a sub 5:00 mile in my truck.

MartyClark
03-11-2015, 12:30 AM
A sub 5:00 mile is easy ;) I ran them multiple times in high school with my best time being 4:43. Of course, it helped that I was 6' 135 pounds in high school. Now days I run a sub 5:00 mile in my truck.

Bob, you are too modest. A sub 5 minute mile is not easy even when you are 18 years old.

1 24 90
03-11-2015, 11:24 AM
Not to be a downer but I found it interesting that Quinn is trying to avoid becoming only the second 4 year player to not hang a banner in Cameron (according to fellow poster airowe on his twitter account). I hope Quinn gets to add 3 banners in the next month. The only other 4 year player was Doug McNeely.

johnb
03-11-2015, 11:58 AM

Dawkins apparently ran the 4:38 in basketball sneakers and without training. He was awesome. Singler and DeMarcus were also great hs football players, especially Nelson--that man is/was built, and the idea that he could also run a sub-5 is pretty amazing.

Orange&BlackSheep
03-11-2015, 12:22 PM
when I saw Singler had run a sub-5:00. I wonder how much of this is effort as well. How many of them actually really care? I like the notion of there being a board that has all of the times listed so that new players would be competing with ghosts of the past.

This story is a little long and better told by my brother but still ...

My brother ('93) was a lightly recruited x-country runner since x-country was considered of light importance to Duke at that time. He ran for an injury-plagued year, did not enjoy it like he had in high school, and decided that his interests lay elsewhere (read: partying). So one Saturday evening late night in full party mode somewhere his Junior year, the discussion of running came up and he found himself in the position of saying how fast he was. After some heckling from people who were much more familiar with his partying talent, he said that not only had he run faster than a 5:00 mile (sub 4:20 in high school which he did not mention), but that he could run a 5:00 mile right then and there if they made it worth his while and that he would match dollar for dollar whatever was raised for the bet. He at this moment was wearing black reeboks, jeans and a t-shirt and in a semi-inebriated condition. Literally the whole room save for one friend of his said there was no way and started throwing money into a hat. $120 later you found about 30 people walking down to Wallace Wade for the event. Just tell me my split times he told his friend.

"71" rang out as he crossed the start/finish the first time. "70" for the halfway point. The crowd mostly was not sure what that meant so his friend responded to the murmurs and questions by telling them he was on a 4:40 pace. "73" .... and by then he news he had it. When he reached the homestretch he pointed at the naysayers and ran backwards for the last ten yards to finish in 4:51. He collected his proceeds and returned to the party. It hurt, he told me .... a lot.

O&BSheep