PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Coaching Carousel - 2015

Pages : [1] 2

sagegrouse
03-09-2015, 01:18 PM
Chuck Driesell has been fired at The Citadel after five years. His overall record was 31-94, and he was 11-19/6-12 this season in the Southern Conference.

To make you feel old, Chuck is 52, and of course, the son of Lefty Driesell, Duke Class of 1954.

superdave
03-09-2015, 02:11 PM
Chuck Driesell has been fired at The Citadel after five years. His overall record was 31-94, and he was 11-19/6-12 this season in the Southern Conference.

To make you feel old, Chuck is 52, and of course, the son of Lefty Driesell, Duke Class of 1954.

The thing that always gets the carousel going is one of the major programs turning over. Duke, Unc, Louisville and Cuse seem safe in the ACC for a few years before retirements kick in. Indiana is probably the biggest school that could turn over as Tom Crean is 19-12 after going 17-15 last season.

Super "Let's just hope Brad Stevens doesnt want that job" Dave

53n206
03-09-2015, 02:19 PM
Crean recently got the AD's endorsement, for what it means. I do believe he'll get another year. Always thought he was a good coach, just hash;t caught on.

luvdahops
03-09-2015, 02:41 PM
Crean recently got the AD's endorsement, for what it means. I do believe he'll get another year. Always thought he was a good coach, just hash;t caught on.

Agreed. He has had some recent success recruiting-wise, but Noah Vonleh leaving after one year left this year's team without any meaningful post presence (much less a potentially dominant one in Vonleh). Neither of IU's 2015 commits to date are likely immediate impact players, but Thon Maker (7-0, #5 in Rivals Top 150) and Thomas Bryant (6-10, #37 in Rivals but a McD's AA) are both visiting Bloomington this week. There are some good pieces in place there are on the perimeter, but the need for an inside presence is glaring.

Henderson
03-09-2015, 03:22 PM
Agreed. He has had some recent success recruiting-wise, but Noah Vonleh leaving after one year left this year's team without any meaningful post presence (much less a potentially dominant one in Vonleh). Neither of IU's 2015 commits to date are likely immediate impact players, but Thon Maker (7-0, #5 in Rivals Top 150) and Thomas Bryant (6-10, #37 in Rivals but a McD's AA) are both visiting Bloomington this week. There are some good pieces in place there are on the perimeter, but the need for an inside game is glaring.

Glaring is no problem at IU if they use those eye protector things in the booth:

Blue KevIL
03-15-2015, 12:34 AM
Oliver Purnell resigned at DePaul before he could be fired.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12483444/depaul-parts-ways-coach-oliver-purnell-five-seasons?ex_cid=espnapi_public

This pretty much sums it up: "Purnell, 61, had his best season with the Blue Demons in 2014-15, going 12-20 and 6-12 in the Big East, but it was not enough to save his job as he lost his final eight games. Purnell finished 54-105 at DePaul, including a 15-75 record in the league. The Blue Demons finished at the bottom of the standings in each of his first four seasons."

lotusland
03-15-2015, 07:34 AM
Parrish and Norlander mentioned that Texas fans are growing restless with being pretty good but not great year end and year out. They feel anything less than a sweet 16 could spell the end for Barnes at TX. Their take is that TX would tempting for any coach because the recruiting pool is rich, expectations are low compared to a blue blood school and they can open the bank for Marshall or Shaka. I could definitely see Marshall at Texas.

Henderson
03-15-2015, 10:10 AM
Oliver Purnell resigned at DePaul before he could be fired.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12483444/depaul-parts-ways-coach-oliver-purnell-five-seasons?ex_cid=espnapi_public

This pretty much sums it up: "Purnell, 61, had his best season with the Blue Demons in 2014-15, going 12-20 and 6-12 in the Big East, but it was not enough to save his job as he lost his final eight games. Purnell finished 54-105 at DePaul, including a 15-75 record in the league. The Blue Demons finished at the bottom of the standings in each of his first four seasons."

Parrish and Norlander mentioned that Texas fans are growing restless with being pretty good but not great year end and year out. They feel anything less than a sweet 16 could spell the end for Barnes at TX. Their take is that TX would tempting for any coach because the recruiting pool is rich, expectations are low compared to a blue blood school and they can open the bank for Marshall or Shaka. I could definitely see Marshall at Texas.

The Clemson Curse.

Faustus
03-15-2015, 11:04 AM
... and so it begins.

Olympic Fan
03-15-2015, 01:15 PM
Most eagerly awaiting news on Brian Gregory -- the one ACC coach on the hot seat.

Financial considerations may force Georgia Tech to wait a year, but after four dismal seasons -- and no real prospect for major improvement next season it's hard to see why you would keep him.

arnie
03-15-2015, 02:20 PM
Most eagerly awaiting news on Brian Gregory -- the one ACC coach on the hot seat.

Financial considerations may force Georgia Tech to wait a year, but after four dismal seasons -- and no real prospect for major improvement next season it's hard to see why you would keep him.

Sounds like the UNC predicament with Roy.

devildeac
03-15-2015, 03:55 PM

Have they finished their buyout of hewitt yet?:rolleyes:

budwom
03-15-2015, 04:04 PM
Have they finished their buyout of hewitt yet?:rolleyes:

while you seem to be asking the question in jest, in fact they have not finished paying Mr. Hewitt.
Unless something changed or was misrepresented, he got a buyout to be paid over five years, beginning in 2011.
I knew someone at George Mason, and evidently Hewitt liked to gloat about all that Yellowjacket money flowing in each year.

devildeac
03-15-2015, 04:41 PM
while you seem to be asking the question in jest, in fact they have not finished paying Mr. Hewitt.
Unless something changed or was misrepresented, he got a buyout to be paid over five years, beginning in 2011.
I knew someone at George Mason, and evidently Hewitt liked to gloat about all that Yellowjacket money flowing in each year.

It was half serious/half cynical as I wondered how they could be thinking about replacing Gregory if they were still buying out their previous coach. Thanks.

Olympic Fan
03-15-2015, 05:28 PM
It was half serious/half cynical as I wondered how they could be thinking about replacing Gregory if they were still buying out their previous coach. Thanks.

Actually, when I they hired Gregory, they were paying off three coaches -- Hewitt, Chan Gailey AND George O'Leary. Plus, they were investing a ton of money into the renovation of Alexander Memorial Coliseum.

Both the O'Leary and Gailey money is off the books. Plus, the bulk of the Alexander money has been raised and the refurbishment is complete.

They do have one more year to pay off Hewitt -- which is why I suggested that financial considerations may cause them to wait a year to dump Gregory.

But even if they do fire him, they are in better financial shape than when he was hired.

brevity
03-15-2015, 05:52 PM
Alabama fires Anthony Grant. (link (http://beta.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12489833/anthony-grant-fired-alabama-crimson-tide-men-basketball-coach))

Grant, 48, was with the Crimson Tide for six seasons, winning at least 20 games three times and making an NCAA tournament appearance in 2012. He also led Alabama to a pair of NIT appearances, reaching the championship game in 2011.

After getting off to a 12-3 start this season, Alabama struggled over the final two months of the season, finishing 18-14 overall and tied for eighth in the SEC.

DU82
03-15-2015, 06:39 PM
Charlotte and men's basketball coach Alan Major have "mutually agreed to part ways," the school announced Sunday afternoon...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25109020/charlotte-and-coach-alan-major-mutually-agree-to-part-ways

superdave
03-16-2015, 11:21 AM
Alabama fires Anthony Grant. (link (http://beta.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12489833/anthony-grant-fired-alabama-crimson-tide-men-basketball-coach))

Grant was 76-25 in three seasons at VCU and got hired at Bama where he went 117-85 overall and 54-49 in conference.

He was a pretty good get at the time but was not able to consistently make the NCAAs.

budwom
03-16-2015, 11:23 AM
Actually, when I they hired Gregory, they were paying off three coaches -- Hewitt, Chan Gailey AND George O'Leary. Plus, they were investing a ton of money into the renovation of Alexander Memorial Coliseum.

Both the O'Leary and Gailey money is off the books. Plus, the bulk of the Alexander money has been raised and the refurbishment is complete.

They do have one more year to pay off Hewitt -- which is why I suggested that financial considerations may cause them to wait a year to dump Gregory.

But even if they do fire him, they are in better financial shape than when he was hired.

I saw another allusion yesterday to GT sending Paul a check for approximately $130,000 per month....nice piece of change, that. Sixty months of bliss.

sagegrouse
03-16-2015, 11:34 AM
Sounds like the UNC predicament with Roy.

UNC is smart enough to see what the NCAA penalties are before considering what, if anything, to do with Roy Williams. Despite his annoying personal quirks -- even more annoying to UNC fans and officials than to us, I expect -- he's a HOF coach with two national championships. I think any move he makes will be voluntary unless the NCAA lays the entire mess in his lap, in which case UNC is off the hoook, I expect, for any future payments due to contract violations.

FWIW, His total compensation (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach) from UNC (salary plus bonus) is under $2 million, but I expect he has many other sources of income from camps the UNC Educational Fund, radio and TV etc. -- not to mention the killing he is making on residential real estate rentals. Coach K's income from Duke is much, much higher (same article).

BD80
03-16-2015, 11:40 AM
... FWIW, [ol' roy's] total compensation (http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach) from UNC (salary plus bonus) is under $2 million, ... . Coach K's income from Duke is much, much higher (same article).

That would explain why ol' roy wears jackets he gets from resale shops

MCFinARL
03-16-2015, 11:40 AM

Well, it's nice he has something to gloat about, because he sure can't gloat about George Mason's performance under his leadership--66-67 overall, 9-22 this year.

AND--it's just been announced he will not return next season (http://www.gomason.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=25200&ATCLID=209963089).

DangerDevil
03-16-2015, 04:30 PM
That would explain why ol' roy wears jackets he gets from resale shops

I don't think you can buy those jackets anywhere.

Now the 1970's couches that Roy has skinned to provide the material for the jackets, those can probably be found in your local thrift shop.

brevity
03-16-2015, 11:32 PM
ACC and ACC-adjacent news:

Georgia Tech retains Brian Gregory. (http://jeffschultz.blog.ajc.com/2015/03/16/timing-is-everything-as-tech-reportedly-to-keep-brian-gregory/) "Former coach Paul Hewitt is still owed the remaining $3.6 million of his $7.2 million buyout, payable over the next four years in $900,000 installments. The school would be on the hook for another $2.4 million for Gregory’s buyout over the next three years, including an installment of $1.075 million next season. So Tech’s payout to two ex-coaches next season would be $1.975 million. That’s even before needing to pay an entire new coaching staff."

Speaking of, George Mason fires Paul Hewitt. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/03/16/paul-hewitt-fired-as-george-mason-mens-basketball-coach/) "Hewitt had one year remaining on a contract that paid him about $750,000 annually, one of the highest salaries for a Virginia state employee."

And Penn hires former BC and Cornell coach Steve Donahue. (http://www.thedp.com/article/2015/03/penn-basketball-hires-steve-donahue-head-coach) "Having been a part of Philadelphia and Penn basketball for the greater part of my life, I have a great passion for this city and this program. I spent 10 extraordinary years as an assistant here at Penn working with one of the great head coaches in all of college basketball, Fran Dunphy."

Jeff Goodman's Twitter (https://twitter.com/goodmanespn) also reports that San Diego and Northern Kentucky have fired their coaches, and that UNLV's Dave Rice is retained for another year.

OldPhiKap
03-16-2015, 11:36 PM
ACC and ACC-adjacent news:

Georgia Tech retains Brian Gregory. (http://jeffschultz.blog.ajc.com/2015/03/16/timing-is-everything-as-tech-reportedly-to-keep-brian-gregory/) "Former coach Paul Hewitt is still owed the remaining $3.6 million of his $7.2 million buyout, payable over the next four years in $900,000 installments. The school would be on the hook for another $2.4 million for Gregory’s buyout over the next three years, including an installment of $1.075 million next season. So Tech’s payout to two ex-coaches next season would be $1.975 million. That’s even before needing to pay an entire new coaching staff."

Speaking of, George Mason fires Paul Hewitt. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/03/16/paul-hewitt-fired-as-george-mason-mens-basketball-coach/) "Hewitt had one year remaining on a contract that paid him about $750,000 annually, one of the highest salaries for a Virginia state employee."

And Penn hires former BC and Cornell coach Steve Donahue. (http://www.thedp.com/article/2015/03/penn-basketball-hires-steve-donahue-head-coach) "Having been a part of Philadelphia and Penn basketball for the greater part of my life, I have a great passion for this city and this program. I spent 10 extraordinary years as an assistant here at Penn working with one of the great head coaches in all of college basketball, Fran Dunphy."

Jeff Goodman's Twitter (https://twitter.com/goodmanespn) also reports that San Diego and Northern Kentucky have fired their coaches, and that UNLV's Dave Rice is retained for another year.

Brian Gregory is a good coach, if he can get some players and some poise from his team he will be good for Tech.

Paul Hewitt caught lightning in a bottle one year, but is otherwise horrible.

I like Donahue, hope he does well.

MCFinARL
03-17-2015, 09:10 AM
Brian Gregory is a good coach, if he can get some players and some poise from his team he will be good for Tech.

Paul Hewitt caught lightning in a bottle one year, but is otherwise horrible.

I like Donahue, hope he does well.

Yes, Hewitt has been really unimpressive since his Final Four year at Tech. His first year at George Mason he did pretty well, running the team that Larranaga had assembled. But the next year the team was significantly worse, and then they moved from the CAA to the Atlantic 10. GMU under Hewitt was in no way ready for that transition.

SCMatt33
03-17-2015, 09:39 AM
Brian Gregory is a good coach, if he can get some players

That's a pretty huge if right now. He only has one guy signed for next year, a 3 star PF. His recruiting classes have gone steadily downhill over his four years, and he's really not able to attract the local talent like he did when he first got there. Even if GT had a more reasonable record in close games, They were still not likely to finish at .500 in the league and not likely to make the postseason. I know I read that they claim to be able to make the numbers work, but I think this as much about being able to afford the right coach for the future as it is wanting to give Gregory another shot after 4 years.

In fact, this year would have been a great time for GT to transition. A new coach would have a couple of seniors in Georges Hunt and Mitchell who are both local and haven't graduated, so they are unlikely to transfer. There's not too much of a recruiting class to have to hang on to so a new coach would have room to maybe snag a player or two in the spring (though a hire would need to be made very quickly for that). It also seems unlikely that any other ACC job will become available this year so the competition for a coach would be fairly low, with Alabama and maybe Miss. St. being the only competition regionally in terms of a power 5 job. I think at the end of the day though, they have a hard time justifying the money for no guarantees.

EKU1969
03-17-2015, 01:05 PM
I haven't posted on here in quite a few years, but I read something on my FB page that caught my attention. There is some talk in Buffalo that Alabama is showing some interest in Bobby Hurley to replace Grant. Has anyone else heard this?

dpslaw
03-17-2015, 01:17 PM
I haven't posted on here in quite a few years, but I read something on my FB page that caught my attention. There is some talk in Buffalo that Alabama is showing some interest in Bobby Hurley to replace Grant. Has anyone else heard this?

For Bobby's sake, I hope the interest is not mutual.

Olympic Fan
03-17-2015, 01:21 PM

Lot of speculation that Archie Miller of Dayton is Bama's first choice.

Bay Area Duke Fan
03-17-2015, 01:55 PM
For Bobby's sake, I hope the interest is not mutual.

I'd like to see Bobby Hurley as Coach K's successor.

SCMatt33
03-17-2015, 02:28 PM

I don't see Miller jumping to Bama so fast. To be perfectly honest, Dayton is a much better job than Alabama right now. The A-10 Has gotten 21 bids to the SEC's 20 over the last 5 years, so accessibility to at large bids isn't a problem. UD's arena is just about as big as Alabama's (13,000+ to 15,000+), and I guarantee UD does a better job filling it. UD fans are nuts about the basketball team, certainly more so than Alabama fans. The only big advantage Alabama can offer is money, but I bet Miller can and will wait for a better offer If he wants to leave at all. Coaches aren't just jumping at any power conference offer anymore to be dumped in 4-6 years if they don't reach unreasonable expectations.

EKU1969
03-17-2015, 03:44 PM
Agree with all the above and I just don't see Hurley jumping to Alabama after two years of head coaching experience. Getting UB to the Dance in two years is impressive, considering it's their first ever appearance.

DangerDevil
03-17-2015, 04:08 PM

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/poll_who_do_you_want_to_be_ala_1.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/blog/morning_roundup/2015/03/hurley-s-name-is-floated-for-alabama-job.html

The people of Alabama are more basketball savvy than I thought, they prefer Hurley 3 to 1 over Ben Howland!

SCMatt33
03-17-2015, 04:52 PM
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/poll_who_do_you_want_to_be_ala_1.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/blog/morning_roundup/2015/03/hurley-s-name-is-floated-for-alabama-job.html

The people of Alabama are more basketball savvy than I thought, they prefer Hurley 3 to 1 over Ben Howland!

Doesn't sound like any "real" talk to me, especially since the Buffalo story is just picking up the Alabama story of "Hey, which of these people we just picked would you guys like?" Of course, real talk about Hurley would have to wait until his current team is done playing! BTW, how nice of them to have the Greg Marshall pipe dream.

DU82
03-17-2015, 06:59 PM

I'd suspect that Archie is a lot of schools' first choice. Including State, once Gottfried wears out his welcome (or they tire of his mediocrity, like Herb.)

OldPhiKap
03-17-2015, 08:02 PM
I'd suspect that Archie is a lot of schools' first choice. Including State, once Gottfried wears out his welcome (or they tire of his mediocrity, like Herb.)

Hasn't Gottfried made the tournament a number of years in a row now? It seems to me that (as much as I was pulling for Sydney Lowe) he has the best results in Raleigh since Valvano left.

dpslaw
03-17-2015, 08:15 PM
Hasn't Gottfried made the tournament a number of years in a row now? It seems to me that (as much as I was pulling for Sydney Lowe) he has the best results in Raleigh since Valvano left.

Gottfried is one of only three ACC coaches to make the big dance in each of his first four years.

53n206
03-17-2015, 08:35 PM
Gottfried is one of only three ACC coaches to make the big dance in each of his first four years.

Beware the sleeping Pack. From one who saw the in the 50's.

DU82
03-17-2015, 08:42 PM

And Herb made it to the NCAAs his last five years.

Perhaps beating Duke and the Cheaters the same year will give him more time, but not if he slips back to losing almost all the games to those two. And not advancing far in the tournament.

Des Esseintes
03-18-2015, 01:14 AM
And Herb made it to the NCAAs his last five years.

Perhaps beating Duke and the Cheaters the same year will give him more time, but not if he slips back to losing almost all the games to those two. And not advancing far in the tournament.

Seriously, State is only a scant few years removed from the Lowe era, and the hubris has already reasserted itself at contagion levels? When were they last a power? In what universe is the State of the past THIRTY YEARS too good for four straight tourney appearances? The number of programs that should reasonably expect to do better than four straight low-seeded tournament teams is vanishingly small. N.C. State is not among those programs.

killerleft
03-18-2015, 10:31 AM
Seriously, State is only a scant few years removed from the Lowe era, and the hubris has already reasserted itself at contagion levels? When were they last a power? In what universe is the State of the past THIRTY YEARS too good for four straight tourney appearances? The number of programs that should reasonably expect to do better than four straight low-seeded tournament teams is vanishingly small. N.C. State is not among those programs.

It's a problem for most programs that compete at the top level, but if Gottfried ever avoids a couple years without major transfers or early-entry NBAers, everybody in the league is in trouble.

BD80
03-18-2015, 03:09 PM
It's a problem for most programs that compete at the top level, but if Gottfried ever avoids a couple years without major transfers or early-entry NBAers, everybody in the league is in trouble.

Gottfried and Bennett may be the 2nd and 3rd best coaches in a league that has four active hall-of-fame coaches. Larranaga could be #4.

Mal
03-18-2015, 04:08 PM
Gottfried and Bennett may be the 2nd and 3rd best coaches in a league that has four active hall-of-fame coaches. Larranaga could be #4.

Wait, are you really saying there's an argument that Rick Pitino is the 5th best coach in the ACC? I'm calling hyperbole on this. Boeheim's brand is irreparably tarnished and we all know how we feel about Ol' Roy, but let's get serious here. I'll wait until Gottfried or Bennett win something other than a conference title or two before I catapult them over a guy who's been to 7 FF's with 3 different programs and won a Nat'l Championship just 24 months ago.

Duvall
03-18-2015, 04:10 PM

Wait, *Mark* Gottfried? Are you sure? How does Gottfried rate over Leonard Hamilton, let alone Bennett, Larrañaga and the Hall of Famers?

DoneDeal
03-18-2015, 04:15 PM
The thing that always gets the carousel going is one of the major programs turning over. Duke, Unc, Louisville and Cuse seem safe in the ACC for a few years before retirements kick in. Indiana is probably the biggest school that could turn over as Tom Crean is 19-12 after going 17-15 last season.

Super "Let's just hope Brad Stevens doesnt want that job" Dave

Crean's buyout is still too large, I believe he'll get at least next year before it drops enough for IN to consider buying him out.

brevity
03-21-2015, 03:34 PM
Mississippi State now has an opening (http://beta.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12530618/rick-ray-fired-mississippi-state-bulldogs-basketball-coach).

Mississippi State has parted ways with coach Rick Ray after just three seasons.

Ray, 44, went 37-60 in three seasons at Mississippi State after replacing Rick Stansbury in 2012. The Bulldogs went 13-19 this season, including 6-12 in SEC play.

This thread may get a little bloated if we include people under consideration for new jobs, but suffice it to say, the name Bobby Hurley comes up in connection with Charlotte and DePaul.

sagegrouse
03-21-2015, 03:35 PM
Rick Ray has been fired (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12530618/rick-ray-fired-mississippi-state-bulldogs-basketball-coach) after three years at Mississippi State. His record was 37-60. Prediction: the next guy will have some head coaching experience (Ray was an assistant for 15 years prior). Really safe prediction: the next guy won't be called "Rick." Rick Ray replaced Rick Stansbury, who "retired" in 2012 after 14 seasons, although he unretired two years later to become an assistant at Texas A&M.

Olympic Fan
03-22-2015, 02:05 PM
Wait, *Mark* Gottfried? Are you sure? How does Gottfried rate over Leonard Hamilton, let alone Bennett, Larrañaga and the Hall of Famers?

Let's see -- Gottfried has five NCAA wins and two Sweet 16s in four seasons at NC State.

Hamilton had three NCAA wins and one Sweet 16 in 13 years at FSU.

Larranaga arrived at Miami when Gott did in Raleigh -- he has two NCAA wins and one Sweet 16 (and just for the record, Miami finished with a better record than State in 2011 ... the year before both arrived, so you could argue that State was farther down than Miami) ... in the four years here, Larranaga does have an ACC title, but Gottfried as three more overall wins that Larranaga -- and four NCAA appearances to one.

I actually think Bennett is better, but he's in his sixth year with three NCAA wins and one Sweet 16 -- depending on whether the Cavs can rally against Michigan State (which would get him to four wins and two Sweet 16s -- still less than Gottfried.

Hell, at the moment, Gottfried has more NCAA wins in his four years at State than K has over the same span at Duke (although K can tie with a win today)

I don't understand the disparagement of the guy. Gott took over a program that had missed the NCAA for five straight seasons. He's gotten them in the field four straight times and won five NCAA games (and is still alive in this tournament) over that span. That's as many as Herb Sendek won in 10 years at the school. It's the best NCAA record for a State coach since Valvano 25 years ago.

I don't know if he's top two or three, but he's done a quality job in Raleigh.

PS And depending on whether he loses anybody unexpectedly in the offseason, he's going to have a top four ACC team next year too.

Des Esseintes
03-22-2015, 03:05 PM
Let's see -- Gottfried has five NCAA wins and two Sweet 16s in four seasons at NC State.

Hamilton had three NCAA wins and one Sweet 16 in 13 years at FSU.

Larranaga arrived at Miami when Gott did in Raleigh -- he has two NCAA wins and one Sweet 16 (and just for the record, Miami finished with a better record than State in 2011 ... the year before both arrived, so you could argue that State was farther down than Miami) ... in the four years here, Larranaga does have an ACC title, but Gottfried as three more overall wins that Larranaga -- and four NCAA appearances to one.

I actually think Bennett is better, but he's in his sixth year with three NCAA wins and one Sweet 16 -- depending on whether the Cavs can rally against Michigan State (which would get him to four wins and two Sweet 16s -- still less than Gottfried.

Hell, at the moment, Gottfried has more NCAA wins in his four years at State than K has over the same span at Duke (although K can tie with a win today)

I don't understand the disparagement of the guy. Gott took over a program that had missed the NCAA for five straight seasons. He's gotten them in the field four straight times and won five NCAA games (and is still alive in this tournament) over that span. That's as many as Herb Sendek won in 10 years at the school. It's the best NCAA record for a State coach since Valvano 25 years ago.

I don't know if he's top two or three, but he's done a quality job in Raleigh.

PS And depending on whether he loses anybody unexpectedly in the offseason, he's going to have a top four ACC team next year too.
1. Making number of NCAA tournament wins an final arbiter of coaching acumen means working with an incredibly tiny data set.
2. Yes, Gottfried technically has "5" NCAA wins. But according full credit for a victory in the ridiculous and mathematically hideous First Four strikes me as... generous. A team only plays in a First Four contest if it has been so mediocre that under the old system it wouldn't deserve even to be included in the tournament. Good for N.C. State for winning that game; it's better than losing. But such a win is not the most brilliant pheasant feather to put in one's cap.
3. I've defended Gottfriend, and I think he is a fine coach. However, there's not a program in America that would pick Gottfried over Tony Bennett right now. Not one, including N.C. State.
4. Same with Pitino.
5. Almost the same with Roy.
6. That said, I agree with you that Gottfried matches up well with Larranaga and Hamilton. Even if age were not a factor, most programs would prefer Gottfried to Hamilton. Larranaga is a much nearer run affair. Gottfried has more tournament success on balance, but Larranaga has actually taken a team to the Final Four. Further, N.C. State has yet to finish higher than a tie for fourth in the ACC regular season, while Larranaga has both a regular season and a conference tournament title to his credit. I'm not sure which guy people would pick. I probably lean with you toward Gottfried, but it's a tough call.

BigWayne
03-23-2015, 06:38 PM
Rick Ray has been fired (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12530618/rick-ray-fired-mississippi-state-bulldogs-basketball-coach) after three years at Mississippi State. His record was 37-60. Prediction: the next guy will have some head coaching experience (Ray was an assistant for 15 years prior). Really safe prediction: the next guy won't be called "Rick." Rick Ray replaced Rick Stansbury, who "retired" in 2012 after 14 seasons, although he unretired two years later to become an assistant at Texas A&M.

Ben Howland is rumored to be the new Miss St coach.

SCMatt33
03-23-2015, 08:39 PM
Ben Howland is rumored to be the new Miss St coach.

I think it's a good hire for that program. 15-20 years ago, these types of programs in the bottom half of the power conferences could hire the hot mid major guy at will (most of the time). Now those guys are more content to build their programs as they can at least get in the same zip code in terms of money, have much more job security, and still have a legit chance of consistent success. With the Greg Marshall's and Ben Jacobson's of the world not going to these places (newsflash Alabama!), they're left looking at power conference assistants, low major head coaches (a la Andy Enfield), slightly lesser, but still very good mid major guys (like Danny Manning), and retreads.

In this case, I think Miss St is making a good call. It's not often that you can attract a guy with 3 final fours under his belt to Starkville and his past butting heads with high talent players at UCLA won't be a problem at a place where you need to build with 2 and 3 star guys. Howland's not for everyone, but he's one of the few guys out there that can bring legit buzz to that program.

Clay Feet POF
03-23-2015, 10:30 PM

In this case, I think Miss St is making a good call. It's not often that you can attract a guy with 3 final fours under his belt to Starkville and his past butting heads with high talent players at UCLA won't be a problem at a place where you need to build with 2 and 3 star guys. Howland's not for everyone, but he's one of the few guys out there that can bring legit buzz to that program.

After reading this, I would have a problem with him.

Read this: http://www.si.com/more-sports/2012/02/29/ucla

SCMatt33
03-23-2015, 11:18 PM

I remember that from 3 years ago, but I don't think it makes him a bad hire for Miss St. That's the kind of stuff I was alluding to when I mentioned his failures butting heads with high talent players. He lost total control of that program and his players and many abandoned it. The demands of a program like UCLA and the city of Los Angeles are very different that what needs to be done in Starkville, Mississippi. Howland has had a couple of years away from coaching and I think he can get back to his roots of building a hard-nosed, blue collar program like he did at Pitt. He can deal with a fan base that will accept bringing in guys that might not have many stars next to their name, but they can check their ego at the door and buy into his system. Like I said before, Howland isn't right for everyone, and if the coaching market were different for bottom tier power 5 teams, this might not be the best hire, but I think there's a good chance Howland can redeem himself in Starkville

Clay Feet POF
03-23-2015, 11:43 PM
I Hope he does!

JasonEvans
03-24-2015, 09:28 AM

Yeah, there is a reason Howland has been unemployed for 2 years. His on-court success should have had him landing a job muuuuch sooner. But, I agree that this is a good hire for Miss St. The SEC is certainly not full of great programs at this point. I won't be even mildly surprised if he gets Miss St to the top third of the conference in a couple years.

-Jason "will be interesting to see whether Howland or Bruce Pearl at Auburn can get their programs headed in the right direction first" Evans

Faustus
03-24-2015, 12:33 PM
Slightly (or maybe majorly) off-topic here, but I've always found it interesting to see the often unforseen results of the over-bloating of the power conferences due to the greedy expansion to survive the arms race of college football. College basketball fans of these schools on all the various bulletin boards I'd frequent in the past few years took the opportunity to salivate over the various schools they could raid from other conferences and fatten their own. "We can grab Louisville! Maybe even Texas! How great will we be then!?!"

There's another side to that, though. Once you have 12, 15, 16 teams in your conference instead of 8 or 10, there's still only room at the top for one despite the larger membership, and an awful lot more room in the dark nether regions of despondency and irrelevance down at or near the bottom for increasing numbers of teams who still spend millions per year to be successful. The pieces of the pie of success are slimmer and fewer in number while the price of it keeps going up. Your numbers of appearances on ESPN go down as three and four more teams join your conference. Rutgers shoves Purdue further into shadow. And keeping your fans happy with your coach becomes more difficult after numerous bleak seasons in 13th place, as is finding a top-flight replacement coach willing to take on such an increasingly daunting position. Miss. State seems to be lucky that there's a good one, but with damaged reputation, willing to go to bleak Starkville and re-invent himself. Same with Texas Tech last year (not that Tubby got them out of last place). Wake fans, who seemed delighted to have Notre Dame and Pitt and Louisville join now find themselves facing not 12th place anymore, but 15th, an even deeper hole ever to dig out of, making Danny Manning's job there far harder than Dave Odom's ever was.

I suspect schools' fans will be less and less patient with new coaches in this new environment. And for established good programs, how can Pitino, Boeheim, K, Ole Roy, Mike Brey, Jamie Dixon, even Tony Bennett's fans be satisfied with 4th or 5th place when they're used to thinking 1st or 2nd every year? How many years can these schools not win the ACC tournament and their fans still not start to complain a little bit? But they can't all win it every couple of years - there are 15 schools now, not 9 (or the happier 8). How long can Buzz's VT fans be satisfied in 15th place? Can he really jump a dozen other programs to reach an expected level of success? In the past, it was only 5 or 6 spots to daylight and a feeling of well-being. Teams' fans can't even get as many of their stars on conference all-star teams anymore. There's a bigger monster to feed now, just when supporter's expectations are rising and the % of their all being successful falling.

Perhaps luckily for Miss. State, the fans there don't really care much about basketball. But how long will Missouri's coach (when they get a new one) last if he can't beat most of those SEC laggards? How tolerant will Illinois' fans be now that Maryland has added another rung of talent over their heads and who just took 'their' spot away in the tournament field of 68, dooming them instead to the NIT in Alabama? How many more schools' fans in general will lose interest in their teams' season when more and more of them are out of the conference running by February? Football fans aren't the only ones contributing heavily to athletic department coffers, and there has to be lots more dissillusion among many bball supporters these days. I'm sure none of these things mattered that much when conference ADs scrambled for 'a place at the table' of the big conference bowl situation, but I suspect the consequences for college basketball make for a somewhat nastier environment in the Darwinian survival of the fittest. I'm surprised so few college coaches have been fired this year - but my guess is the survival rate of coaches, and the level of contentment of the fans, will diminish in coming seasons.

Just a lunchtime ramble which may or may not make sense...

Olympic Fan
03-24-2015, 01:18 PM
Breaking news: Herb Sendek fired at Arizona State

Now, the big question -- will the media crucify ASU the way they went after NC State in 2006 for doing the same thing.

Des Esseintes
03-24-2015, 01:32 PM

Now, the big question -- will the media crucify ASU the way they went after NC State in 2006 for doing the same thing.

Why is that a "big question"? Sendek has been nine seasons at ASU, has made the tournament all of twice, has only posted a winning conference record three times. No one will criticize the decision to move on from that performance. On the other hand, he took N.C. State to the tournament his final five seasons in a row. The media absolutely should have gone after some-people-are-old-enough-to-remember-when-they-were-still-a-power State. Sendek did a fine job in Raleigh; he did an unacceptable job in Tucson. I expect the media will respond accordingly.

Matches
03-24-2015, 01:33 PM
Yes, Gottfried technically has "5" NCAA wins. But according full credit for a victory in the ridiculous and mathematically hideous First Four strikes me as... generous. A team only plays in a First Four contest if it has been so mediocre that under the old system it wouldn't deserve even to be included in the tournament. Good for N.C. State for winning that game; it's better than losing. But such a win is not the most brilliant pheasant feather to put in one's cap.

As much as I dislike the "First Four" nonsense, a victory over an 11-ish seed probably is a more significant achievement than a win over, say, a 16-seed.

devildeac
03-24-2015, 02:04 PM

Duke (football) curse. Beat us in a bowl game and your MBB coach "sleeps with the fish(es)":rolleyes:.

Olympic Fan
03-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Why is that a "big question"? Sendek has been nine seasons at ASU, has made the tournament all of twice, has only posted a winning conference record three times. No one will criticize the decision to move on from that performance. On the other hand, he took N.C. State to the tournament his final five seasons in a row. The media absolutely should have gone after some-people-are-old-enough-to-remember-when-they-were-still-a-power State. Sendek did a fine job in Raleigh; he did an unacceptable job in Tucson. I expect the media will respond accordingly.

In the history of the ACC, just two coaches have lasted at least eight years at a school and accomplished less than Herb Sendek -- Bill Gibson of Virginia and Bobby Roberts at Clemson.

Herb gave NC State five NCAA Tournament wins in 10 seasons at NC State. He never won an ACC regular season title. He never won a tournament title. He never got past the Sweet 16 -- indeed, he only got to the Sweet 16 once in 10 years. He was under .500 in the ACC for his 10 year run -- in NC State history (since WWII), only Sidney Lowe and Les Robinson (who had to operate under severe self-omposed academy restrictions ... restrictions that were lifted when Herb got the job) had worse records. Every other Wolfpack coach from Ev Case to Press Maravich to Norm Sloan to Jim Valvano to now Mark Gottfried won at a better rate -- and accomplished more in postseason.

The fact that even now, somebody can look at the record of Herb's mediocrity and suggest he "did a fine job" carries an air of Duke condescension. Would we have put up with 10 years of Herb's mediocrity?

Herb did a poor job at Arizona State, just as he did a poor job at NC State.

And one more difference -- he was fired by Arizona State ... he left NC State on his own (although, I concede that most of the Pack nation was happy to see him go).

Des Esseintes
03-24-2015, 02:14 PM
As much as I dislike the "First Four" nonsense, a victory over an 11-ish seed probably is a more significant achievement than a win over, say, a 16-seed.

I suppose. But there's only one way to *beat* a sixteen-seed, and that's to be a one-seed. The coaching job that produces a one-seed is superior to the coaching job that produces the victor of a First Four game.

Des Esseintes
03-24-2015, 02:44 PM
In the history of the ACC, just two coaches have lasted at least eight years at a school and accomplished less than Herb Sendek -- Bill Gibson of Virginia and Bobby Roberts at Clemson.

Herb gave NC State five NCAA Tournament wins in 10 seasons at NC State. He never won an ACC regular season title. He never won a tournament title. He never got past the Sweet 16 -- indeed, he only got to the Sweet 16 once in 10 years. He was under .500 in the ACC for his 10 year run -- in NC State history (since WWII), only Sidney Lowe and Les Robinson (who had to operate under severe self-omposed academy restrictions ... restrictions that were lifted when Herb got the job) had worse records. Every other Wolfpack coach from Ev Case to Press Maravich to Norm Sloan to Jim Valvano to now Mark Gottfried won at a better rate -- and accomplished more in postseason.

The fact that even now, somebody can look at the record of Herb's mediocrity and suggest he "did a fine job" carries an air of Duke condescension. Would we have put up with 10 years of Herb's mediocrity?

Herb did a poor job at Arizona State, just as he did a poor job at NC State.

And one more difference -- he was fired by Arizona State ... he left NC State on his own (although, I concede that most of the Pack nation was happy to see him go).

N.C. State is not the program it was, and hasn't been since Human League was charting. They've had four coaches since Valvano left. Sendek is responsible HALF of their entire tournament appearances in that time. NO ONE at State has won an ACC tourney title in 28 years. NO ONE at State has gone deeper than the Sweet Sixteen in 25 years. It's hilarious to say that "only Sidney Lowe and Les Robinson...had worse [ACC] records" than Sendek without mentioning that, you know, one was the coach who preceded Sendek and the other was the coach who followed Sendek. While Sendek never won an ACC regular season, he finished 2nd, 3rd, and twice alone in 4th. Gottfried--a coach you and I rightly believe is a good fit for their program--has managed so far only to finish in a tie for fourth. Only Les Robinson's first season, a tie for third, matches any of Sendek's best seasons.

Would Duke have put up with a decade of Sendek's high mediocrity? Of course not. But Duke is a premiere program representing perhaps the best college basketball job in existence, while N.C. State is St. John's in a slightly different shade of red.

SCMatt33
03-24-2015, 03:34 PM
N.C. State is not the program it was, and hasn't been since Human League was charting. They've had four coaches since Valvano left. Sendek is responsible HALF of their entire tournament appearances in that time. NO ONE at State has won an ACC tourney title in 28 years. NO ONE at State has gone deeper than the Sweet Sixteen in 25 years. It's hilarious to say that "only Sidney Lowe and Les Robinson...had worse [ACC] records" than Sendek without mentioning that, you know, one was the coach who preceded Sendek and the other was the coach who followed Sendek. While Sendek never won an ACC regular season, he finished 2nd, 3rd, and twice alone in 4th. Gottfried--a coach you and I rightly believe is a good fit for their program--has managed so far only to finish in a tie for fourth. Only Les Robinson's first season, a tie for third, matches any of Sendek's best seasons.

Would Duke have put up with a decade of Sendek's high mediocrity? Of course not. But Duke is a premiere program representing perhaps the best college basketball job in existence, while N.C. State is St. John's in a slightly different shade of red.

Why should NC State have to accept permanent mediocrity because the last 25 years haven't gone well? This is a program with rich tradition from Everett Case to Norm Sloan to Jimmy V. There's no reason to criticize them for thinking that one Sweet 16 and 0 ACC titles (regular season or tournament) over the coarse of a decade isn't good enough. There was also very little reason under Sendek to think that those things were coming anytime soon. That being said, a guy like Mark Gottfried shouldn't be held to the standard of "ACC title or Final Four within the next 5 years or bust," but there's no indication that they are doing that. Gottfried has yet to miss the tourney, has already made the second weekend twice (and they aren't yet done this year), and is bringing in better players than most of Sendek's on a pretty consistent basis. There's a different between NC State fans thinking that what Sendek did wasn't enough and a program like BC thinking that 7 tourney's in 10 years from Al Skinner wasn't enough when they had only been to the tourney 11 times in their history before he got there. When you have a history like NC State and are in close proximity to Duke and UNC, it's understandable to throw away "good" and take a chance at "great," even if "bad" is a possible, if not probable outcome of that move.

freshmanjs
03-24-2015, 03:39 PM

with the expansion of the league, finishing 4th now is probably better than finishing 3rd was when Herb did it

NancyCarol
03-24-2015, 03:57 PM
I think it is just plain wrong to fire a coach during a tournament while the team is still playing. AND to go after a coach on another team while THEY are still playing. There should be a special foul called for this. The players have enough pressure without this going on.

juise
03-24-2015, 03:58 PM
Sendek did a fine job in Raleigh; he did an unacceptable job in Tucson.

Well, to be fair, the Wildcats haven't lost at home since 2013. ;) Herb did take them down in Tempe the last two years.

freshmanjs
03-24-2015, 03:59 PM
I think it is just plain wrong to fire a coach during a tournament while the team is still playing. AND to go after a coach on another team while THEY are still playing. There should be a special foul called for this. The players have enough pressure without this going on.

what team fired a coach during a tournament while the team is still playing?

juise
03-24-2015, 04:01 PM

I generally agree and wish that Jeff was kept out of this until Duke's season is over. I make an exception for when this practice caused Roy to say he doesn't give a #%@& about UNC. IN that case, it was awesome.

juise
03-24-2015, 04:03 PM

Anthony Grant

Olympic Fan
03-24-2015, 04:03 PM

That doesn't apply here. Arizona State's season ended Sunday night with an NIT loss at Richmond. They waited until Herb and the team got home to fire him.

As for contacting another team's assistant while that team was playing ... Coach K was asked about that today. Said it was absolutely no problem, that it happens all the time. In fact, he suggested there were years when HE was contacted during a tourney run.

Essentially, his take was that it is part of the business and that he expected Jeff to handle it with professionalism.

Then he offered a STRONG endorsement of Capel as a head coach.

SCMatt33
03-24-2015, 04:04 PM

Alabama had yet to start it's NIT run when Anthony Grant was fired.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2015, 04:06 PM
I don't get the dissing of State's current program. The bulk of their team is freshman and soph's. They had a great year by most standards, having won in Durham, Louisville and Chapel Hill. Just knocked off the hot #1 seed. Play tough. A very respectable NCAA tourney appearance run over the last five years.

I'm impressed. This is the closest to a heartbeat that has been found in Raleigh in about twenty-five years. And when UNC goes on probation, I am confident that State can pick up the slack in the Triangle.

sagegrouse
03-24-2015, 04:08 PM

Arizona state lost to the Richmond Spiders in the NIT on Sunday. i buh-leeve its season is over.

Dev11
03-24-2015, 05:15 PM
with the expansion of the league, finishing 4th now is probably better than finishing 3rd was when Herb did it

Especially since two of the programs the ACC asded, Syracuse and Louisville, are almost definitely higher profile programs than NC State.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Especially since two of the programs the ACC asded, Syracuse and Louisville, are almost definitely higher profile programs than NC State.

Wasn't State picked to finish 10th or something?

Not to repeat myself (although I guess I'm about to) -- I have never heard anyone being unhappy with the current coaching job other than a few posters on this thread. If I were a Pack Fan I'd be thrilled. And as a rival fan, I respect the return of a strong corner of the Triangle.

Dev11
03-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Wasn't State picked to finish 10th or something?

Not to repeat myself (although I guess I'm about to) -- I have never heard anyone being unhappy with the current coaching job other than a few posters on this thread. If I were a Pack Fan I'd be thrilled. And as a rival fan, I respect the return of a strong corner of the Triangle.

Oh, I think Gottfried is doing a great job in a conference that is probably tougher than it's been in a long time. If he keeps finding himself in the Sweet Sixteen and beating Duke and UNC during the regular season, I feel like State should be able to stomach him not winning ACC championships. It will be interesting if he's still around when Roy and K retire. Could State take the torch as the best outright program in the state?

Bay Area Duke Fan
03-24-2015, 07:10 PM

Michigan dismissed Bill Frieder in 1989, just before the NCAA tournament began, after he had accepted HC job at AZ State. Assistant Steve Fisher took over and led the team to championship.

NancyCarol
03-24-2015, 07:30 PM
Doubtless my comment about firing during a tournament was inarticulate and not footnoted and hence was parsed. I wasn't referring specifically to the Sun Devils who yes are done with their season this year. I meant to be inclusive as a practice. I'm glad K is ok and that he considers this "business as usual", but I stand firm in my opinion that more than business is involved. The kids who play and who aren't paid put their hearts and souls on the court. Maybe I'll just go with this: If the team is like "family", and "uncle Jeff" is being tempted away after we became close and I still have eligibility left, I'm going to feel some kind of way that hasn't anything to do with business. Sports is also about emotion. And all your logic and facts won't change my view that these changes can easily wait until the season is over for all concerned. Now I'll just go dangle my participle somewhere else.

Clay Feet POF
03-25-2015, 09:27 AM
Slightly (or maybe majorly) off-topic here, but I've always found it interesting to see the often unforseen results of the over-bloating of the power conferences due to the greedy expansion to survive the arms race of college football. College basketball fans of these schools on all the various bulletin boards I'd frequent in the past few years took the opportunity to salivate over the various schools they could raid from other conferences and fatten their own. "We can grab Louisville! Maybe even Texas! How great will we be then!?!"

There's another side to that, though. Once you have 12, 15, 16 teams in your conference instead of 8 or 10, there's still only room at the top for one despite the larger membership, and an awful lot more room in the dark nether regions of despondency and irrelevance down at or near the bottom for increasing numbers of teams who still spend millions per year to be successful. The pieces of the pie of success are slimmer and fewer in number while the price of it keeps going up. Your numbers of appearances on ESPN go down as three and four more teams join your conference. Rutgers shoves Purdue further into shadow. And keeping your fans happy with your coach becomes more difficult after numerous bleak seasons in 13th place, as is finding a top-flight replacement coach willing to take on such an increasingly daunting position. Miss. State seems to be lucky that there's a good one, but with damaged reputation, willing to go to bleak Starkville and re-invent himself. Same with Texas Tech last year (not that Tubby got them out of last place). Wake fans, who seemed delighted to have Notre Dame and Pitt and Louisville join now find themselves facing not 12th place anymore, but 15th, an even deeper hole ever to dig out of, making Danny Manning's job there far harder than Dave Odom's ever was.

I suspect schools' fans will be less and less patient with new coaches in this new environment. And for established good programs, how can Pitino, Boeheim, K, Ole Roy, Mike Brey, Jamie Dixon, even Tony Bennett's fans be satisfied with 4th or 5th place when they're used to thinking 1st or 2nd every year? How many years can these schools not win the ACC tournament and their fans still not start to complain a little bit? But they can't all win it every couple of years - there are 15 schools now, not 9 (or the happier 8). How long can Buzz's VT fans be satisfied in 15th place? Can he really jump a dozen other programs to reach an expected level of success? In the past, it was only 5 or 6 spots to daylight and a feeling of well-being. Teams' fans can't even get as many of their stars on conference all-star teams anymore. There's a bigger monster to feed now, just when supporter's expectations are rising and the % of their all being successful falling.

Perhaps luckily for Miss. State, the fans there don't really care much about basketball. But how long will Missouri's coach (when they get a new one) last if he can't beat most of those SEC laggards? How tolerant will Illinois' fans be now that Maryland has added another rung of talent over their heads and who just took 'their' spot away in the tournament field of 68, dooming them instead to the NIT in Alabama? How many more schools' fans in general will lose interest in their teams' season when more and more of them are out of the conference running by February? Football fans aren't the only ones contributing heavily to athletic department coffers, and there has to be lots more dissillusion among many bball supporters these days. I'm sure none of these things mattered that much when conference ADs scrambled for 'a place at the table' of the big conference bowl situation, but I suspect the consequences for college basketball make for a somewhat nastier environment in the Darwinian survival of the fittest. I'm surprised so few college coaches have been fired this year - but my guess is the survival rate of coaches, and the level of contentment of the fans, will diminish in coming seasons.

Just a lunchtime ramble which may or may not make sense...

I really Like your Rambling......Good Points

JasonEvans
03-25-2015, 09:53 AM
Back to the coaching carousel...

Mark Price is going from the NBA (assistant) to college (head coach) in Charlotte. I think this is a really good hire, though I have not idea how he will recruit. I suspect the parents of recruits will recall his illustrious career, but the kids likely won't know who he is. Still, I won't be at all surprised if he is quite successful.

-Jason "if he is even remotely decent at the job, expect Ga Tech to come calling for Price in a season or two" Evans

Duvall
03-25-2015, 09:56 AM

Mark Price is going from the NBA (assistant) to college (head coach) in Charlotte. I think this is a really good hire, though I have not idea how he will recruit. I suspect the parents of recruits will recall his illustrious career, but the kids likely won't know who he is. Still, I won't be at all surprised if he is quite successful.

-Jason "if he is even remotely decent at the job, expect Ga Tech to come calling for Price in a season or two" Evans

Hard to see Georgia Tech waiting long enough for Price to prove anything one or or the other. Can they really wait two more seasons with Gregory?

Billy Dat
03-25-2015, 10:23 AM
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 6m6 minutes ago
Bobby Hurley has not signed deal to stay at Buffalo, sources told ESPN. As of this moment, source said he intends to interview with DePaul.

devildeac
03-25-2015, 10:50 AM

Hard to see Georgia Tech waiting long enough for Price to prove anything one or or the other. Can they really wait two more seasons with Gregory?

I think Olympic Fan and I, along with a few others, discussed this a bit upthread. Apparently GT recently finished buying out 2 FB coaches and has 1 (or 2?) years left on the very expensive Hewitt buyout, so I'm guessing Gregory gets at least 1 more year. Perhaps 1 more year than he deserves, but he's there for the short term at least. They've made some bad decisions recently down there in Atlanta and I won't even bring up the Braves again:rolleyes:.

sagegrouse
03-25-2015, 11:02 AM

Sounds like Jeff Mullins, Part II. Jeff was also an NBA all-star who had never been in coaching. He was hired by Charlotte as head coach and had quite a bit of success in his 11 years there, including three conference championships.

BigWayne
03-26-2015, 04:20 AM
Wolf Pack to hire Eric Musselman. (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12556473/nevada-wolf-pack-hire-eric-musselman-coach) Wolf Pack, not Wolfpack. One space and about 2000 miles difference.

lotusland
03-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Gary Parrish reported SEC put the word out to member schools that men's basketball is important to provide quality content on SEC network. Bama has a list of 1 for their open head coach position. It will be Gregg marshall's job to lose. They will start at $2Million and go possibly as high as $5million annually. Parrish speculates that Bama will force Texas' hand to dump Barnes immediately and get in the game to land Marshall. Texas considered a better job with better recruiting footprint so Bama would have a hard time attracting Marshall with Texas competing for his service.

Tripping William
03-26-2015, 10:36 AM
Gary Parrish reported SEC put the word out to member schools that men's basketball is important to provide quality content on SEC network. Bama has a list of 1 for their open head coach position. It will be Gregg marshall's job to lose. They will start at $2Million and go possibly as high as $5million annually. Parrish speculates that Bama will force Texas' hand to dump Barnes immediately and get in the game to land Marshall. Texas considered a better job with better recruiting footprint so Bama would have a hard time attracting Marshall with Texas competing for his service.

Let alone competing with Kentucky for his services, given the (apparently annual) speculation that Cal might depart for the NBA. The 2015 kickoff of the Cal rumors (which also got some play on PTI yesterday and Mike&Mike this morning) can be found here:

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/basketball/calipari-can-save-nets-1.1294851

rasputin
03-26-2015, 10:43 AM
Michigan dismissed Bill Frieder in 1989, just before the NCAA tournament began, after he had accepted HC job at AZ State. Assistant Steve Fisher took over and led the team to championship.

"Dismissing" a guy who has announced he is out the door before the tourney is different from just firing him. The inappropriate act here was Frieder's in taking the ASU job, not Michigan's.

CameronBornAndBred
03-26-2015, 10:45 AM
Let alone competing with Kentucky for his services, given the (apparently annual) speculation that Cal might depart for the NBA. The 2015 kickoff of the Cal rumors can be found here:

I wouldn't wait for Cal/Kentucky to announce anything. Unless some NBA team fires and hires April 7th, that could potentially be a long wait. Brad Stevens was hired by the Celtics on July third, as an example.

lotusland
03-26-2015, 11:16 AM
Let alone competing with Kentucky for his services, given the (apparently annual) speculation that Cal might depart for the NBA. The 2015 kickoff of the Cal rumors (which also got some play on PTI yesterday and Mike&Mike this morning) can be found here:

I guess coaches like Marshall have confirdence such that they don't worry about about unreasonable expectations but still, I wonder if the pressure of being the coach that replaced Cal at UK is really desirable. Marshall is thought of as pretty loyal to the schools and players where he's coached and he likes to establish roots for himself and his family. He also likes to have a lot of control over the program. That might actually argue in favor of UK since obviously football is king in Austin and Tuscalusa. Personally could definitely see Marshall at Texas.

SCMatt33
03-26-2015, 12:14 PM
I don't know why there's the assumption out there that Kentucky would go after Marshall if Calipari left. Marshall is not a proven recruiter and has done most of his damage at Wichita State with the same core group of players. He's certainly a great coach and would be worthy of a high power job should he want it, but Kentucky probably isn't looking at Marshall first. If the Kentucky job comes available, all eyes are heading straight to Tuscon and Sean Miller. Miller is a proven recruiter at the highest level, he's built a consistent winner at Arizona, and most importantly, he doesn't have any unbreakable ties to that program. He's been there 6 years, and prior to that, he'd never had a west coast job before. A quick google search shows him only making in the neighborhood of 2.5 million, a number Kentucky could double and still save a bunch compare to what they're paying Cal. Is it a guarantee that Miller would leave, no, but it's far from a long shot.

lotusland
03-26-2015, 12:44 PM
I don't know why there's the assumption out there that Kentucky would go after Marshall if Calipari left. Marshall is not a proven recruiter and has done most of his damage at Wichita State with the same core group of players. He's certainly a great coach and would be worthy of a high power job should he want it, but Kentucky probably isn't looking at Marshall first. If the Kentucky job comes available, all eyes are heading straight to Tuscon and Sean Miller. Miller is a proven recruiter at the highest level, he's built a consistent winner at Arizona, and most importantly, he doesn't have any unbreakable ties to that program. He's been there 6 years, and prior to that, he'd never had a west coast job before. A quick google search shows him only making in the neighborhood of 2.5 million, a number Kentucky could double and still save a bunch compare to what they're paying Cal. Is it a guarantee that Miller would leave, no, but it's far from a long shot.

I tend to agree. From occasional lurking on Cats Pause I think Sean Miller would be the first choice for the fan base at least. Hard to say who would be the second choice but Josh Pastner has obvioulsy stepped into Cal's shoes before.

JasonEvans
03-26-2015, 12:49 PM

I agree and it is worth noting that no fanbase has embraced the "recruiting is what matters, first and foremost" more than Kentucky. There's no way they take someone who is not an established stud recruiter. Miller fits the profile in a big way. Others who could be in the running: Scott Drew of Baylor and Thad Matta of Ohio St.

I sorta wonder when one of the big-time programs is going to come after Larry Krystowiak at Utah. He's doing a heck of a job there and getting some very good recruits for Utah. He has a ton of NBA pedigree both as a coach and player. I wonder why Alabama and others would be so in love with Greg Marshall and not with Larry Kystoriak. Is there some perception that he would not leave Utah?

Can anything pry Mark Few away from Gonzaga? Certainly not Alabama, but Texas or Kentucky?

-Jason "FWIW, I don't think Cal will leave for the NBA again. He's on the top of the college world. Why go back to a place you failed last time?" Evans

Reilly
03-26-2015, 01:11 PM
... I don't think Cal will leave for the NBA again. ... Why go back to a place you failed last time?" ...

1. To prove to yourself you can do it.
2. To prove to others you can do it.
3. To get away from Kentucky fans.
4. For love.
5. For money.
6. Ashley Judd's not getting any younger.
7. To be able to sign players to 3-year contracts rather than 1-year LOIs.
8. To stay one step ahead of the regulators.
9. To live in a major metropolitan area.
10. Because NBA action is fantastic.

RamblinRed
03-26-2015, 02:22 PM

GT may not have a choice. GT AD wanted to replace Gregory this year but couldn't come up with the money to do it (he has already pissed off a few donors so they were unwilling to give him money and the school said he could not use any operational funds to handle the buyouts. ).
The AD wanted to replace Gregory, but get rid of both Hewitt's and Gregory's buyouts first - that would have cost $6M. ($3.6M for Hewitt and $2.4M for Gregory).
The reason the buyouts are so much is as follows.
AD Braine gave Hewitt the golden contract in 2004. When he was fired in 2011 he was owed $7.1M over 5 years. The then AD - Radokovich - now at Clemson - immediately renegotiated that to an 8 year 900K per year deal. So GT still owes Hewitt 4 yrs at 900K.
Then the current AD gave Gregory a 1 year extension and 75K raise 2 years ago, no big deal - but he reset the buyout when he did it. If he had left the buyout alone he would have owed Gregory $1M after this season. Instead, he would have owed him $2.4M (100% for yr 5, 75% for yr 6 and 50% for yr 7).

It looks like the donors finally got fed up with multiple AD's making poor basketball decisions and decided to close their checkbooks (they are more interested in FB than BB anyways for the most part).
Since it is very conceivable that GT could have a pretty decent season next year (they went 0-11 in the ACC in games that were 4 pts or less with a minute to play and return most of their team and add AL transfer Nick Jacobs) - Gregory likely could have a good enough season to not be fired next year (when the total buyouts will be $4M). The bottom will likely fall out the next year though when Gregory loses three likely SR starters and will probably have little to replace them as most fans expect a tough recruiting year with alot of schollies available but a coach on the hot seat.

So most rational fans are thinking it could be 2 yrs before a change is made. (In 2 years the remaining buyouts will be $2.3M)
I think it was expressed well in a CBS podcast last week - GT appears to be in a bad vortex they can't get out of.
At this point I think alot of fans are sort of resigned to GT having to stay in purgatory until all its past bad decisions have run their course. So probably 3-5 yrs before becoming relevant.
The fanbase was livid last week at the AD when the buyout change for Gregory came to light. He is starting to get on very thin ice with the fanbase.

RamblinRed

BD80
03-26-2015, 04:30 PM
I agree and it is worth noting that no fanbase has embraced the "recruiting is what matters, first and foremost" more than Kentucky. ...

-Jason "FWIW, I don't think Cal will leave for the NBA again. He's on the top of the college world. Why go back to a place you failed last time?" Evans

I would imagine that recruiting at Cal's level is exhausting and debasing. Sucking up to over-entitled teenagers and their parents has got to take a toll. And Cal has been adding 5 or so top 25 recruits each year for a while.

There is also the perception that Cal is more of a recruiter than a coach. He only wins because he has far superior talent.

He can only prove them wrong by going to the next level.

superdave
03-26-2015, 04:55 PM
I would imagine that recruiting at Cal's level is exhausting and debasing. Sucking up to over-entitled teenagers and their parents has got to take a toll. And Cal has been adding 5 or so top 25 recruits each year for a while.

There is also the perception that Cal is more of a recruiter than a coach. He only wins because he has far superior talent.

He can only prove them wrong by going to the next level.

I dont know - did you watch the behind the scenes with Cal last year? He gave Espn a tour of the player's mess hall and dorm and seemed to relish the attention. "I built this"

He clearly loves to be in the spotlight and the players clearly love the pedigree of being one of Cal's prized recruits.

Now does he love it enough to coach to 70? He is 56 or so now. I doubt that. But he could have his eyes set on some other marks - like 10 Final Fours, 3-4 titles, 1,000 wins.

The NBA could be tempting but he's tried it. He's making $6+ million so the money is not significantly different.

I would bet what Cal wants most is legitimacy and respect. He wants to be in the "greatest coaches" conversation with Coach K, Wooden, Knight, Smith, etc. He does not want to be known as a recruiter or the guy who vacated Final Fours. Another 10 years of 30 win seasons, Final Fours and a few more titles gets him there. I dont know that a semi-successful NBA run does.

94duke
03-27-2015, 09:39 AM
Donnie Tyndall out at Tennessee after one season. Related to NCAA investigation into his time at Southern Miss (2012-2014).
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25125063/donnnie-tyndall-will-not-return-as-tennessees-mens-basketball-coach

Billy Dat
03-27-2015, 09:51 AM
I guess I have either not been paying attention or been naive, but this current coaching carousel is showing me, for the first time, how much sneaker company contracts impact coaching searches. I always thought it was just AAU teams-players-colleges-sneakers world, but if a school is a Nike or Adidas school, it apparently has a huge impact on who is a coaching candidate:

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 20m20 minutes ago
Remember, Tennessee switches from Adidas to Nike in a couple months -- just throwing it out there for the coaching search.

Olympic Fan
03-27-2015, 01:59 PM
GT may not have a choice. GT AD wanted to replace Gregory this year but couldn't come up with the money to do it (he has already pissed off a few donors so they were unwilling to give him money and the school said he could not use any operational funds to handle the buyouts. ).
The AD wanted to replace Gregory, but get rid of both Hewitt's and Gregory's buyouts first - that would have cost $6M. ($3.6M for Hewitt and $2.4M for Gregory).
The reason the buyouts are so much is as follows.
AD Braine gave Hewitt the golden contract in 2004. When he was fired in 2011 he was owed $7.1M over 5 years. The then AD - Radokovich - now at Clemson - immediately renegotiated that to an 8 year 900K per year deal. So GT still owes Hewitt 4 yrs at 900K.
Then the current AD gave Gregory a 1 year extension and 75K raise 2 years ago, no big deal - but he reset the buyout when he did it. If he had left the buyout alone he would have owed Gregory $1M after this season. Instead, he would have owed him $2.4M (100% for yr 5, 75% for yr 6 and 50% for yr 7).

It looks like the donors finally got fed up with multiple AD's making poor basketball decisions and decided to close their checkbooks (they are more interested in FB than BB anyways for the most part).
Since it is very conceivable that GT could have a pretty decent season next year (they went 0-11 in the ACC in games that were 4 pts or less with a minute to play and return most of their team and add AL transfer Nick Jacobs) - Gregory likely could have a good enough season to not be fired next year (when the total buyouts will be $4M). The bottom will likely fall out the next year though when Gregory loses three likely SR starters and will probably have little to replace them as most fans expect a tough recruiting year with alot of schollies available but a coach on the hot seat.

So most rational fans are thinking it could be 2 yrs before a change is made. (In 2 years the remaining buyouts will be $2.3M)
I think it was expressed well in a CBS podcast last week - GT appears to be in a bad vortex they can't get out of.
At this point I think alot of fans are sort of resigned to GT having to stay in purgatory until all its past bad decisions have run their course. So probably 3-5 yrs before becoming relevant.
The fanbase was livid last week at the AD when the buyout change for Gregory came to light. He is starting to get on very thin ice with the fanbase.

RamblinRed

Very good and very detailed summary.

But I have to take issue with the optimism that suggests Georgia Tech could be significantly better next season.

They lose two starters (Demarco Cox and Robert Sampson.) I assume Jacobs replaces Cox, but a 6-8, 260 pound guy who averaged 8.4 ppg ad 3.5 rpg, ain't a huge difference maker. That leaves it up to the usual suspects -- Marcus Georges-Hunt, Chris Bolden and Charles Mitchell. The team still lacks a point guard (one reason they were 0-11 in close ACC games). There doesn't seen to be any big-time freshman talent on the horizon, but Gregory has done a good job mining the "graduate student" market, so there may be some more senior rookies on the roster. Please god, let one of them be a point guard!

I could see -- with a little better luck in close games -- Georgia Tech climbing from the bottom four to the next four up -- but not any higher than that. I really think next year will be dismal again.

I understand that the program is in a financial crunch, but how long can they put up with that kind or mediocrity? Georgia Tech is located at the center of a great recruiting area, in a great city and with a beautifully renovated arena. There is absolutely no reason Georgia Tech shouldn't be an upper echelon ACC program.

Now that I think about it, the worse thing that could happen would be for Gregory to get lucky next season. Maybe he finds a quality senior PG transfer, the team gets lucky in close games and sneaks into the NCAA Tournament.

Then he gets another extension and the program is stuck in mediocrity for another decade ...

RepoMan
03-27-2015, 02:12 PM
1. To prove to yourself you can do it.
2. To prove to others you can do it.
4. For love.
5. For money.
6. Ashley Judd's not getting any younger.
7. To be able to sign players to 3-year contracts rather than 1-year LOIs.
8. To stay one step ahead of the regulators.
9. To live in a major metropolitan area.
10. Because NBA action is fantastic.

11. Because he has a monster-sized ego, and there is no way that he will ever be universally respected as a college coach because of the stink of impropriety that surrounds him. NBA success would lead to acclaim unencumbered by the past.

lotusland
03-27-2015, 02:30 PM
I guess I have either not been paying attention or been naive, but this current coaching carousel is showing me, for the first time, how much sneaker company contracts impact coaching searches. I always thought it was just AAU teams-players-colleges-sneakers world, but if a school is a Nike or Adidas school, it apparently has a huge impact on who is a coaching candidate:

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 20m20 minutes ago
Remember, Tennessee switches from Adidas to Nike in a couple months -- just throwing it out there for the coaching search.

Tennessee is in a bind after losing Cuonzo Martin last year and Tyndall this year. The shoe companies didn't play a role in Tyndal's firing and I expect UT (east) will want try for stability with the next hire regardless of any show company affiliations. Haven't hear any candidates rumored but I wonder if Hurley, Capel, Amaker or other Dukies will be in the mix.

luburch
03-27-2015, 02:32 PM
Lavin is out at St. John's.

lotusland
03-27-2015, 02:42 PM
Lavin is out at St. John's.

I couldn't find the official announcement but I did find this from 2-days ago. I know it's not unusual but I don't like the idea that a "financial backer" decides the coach and the direction of the program. Alas money talks. I would think the Hurley boys may draw some interest there no?

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2015-03-25/future-uncertain-for-st-johns-coach-steve-lavin-sources-say-ncaa-basketball

According to SNY.tv, a “little bit of a power struggle” exists between Lavin, at least one of the program’s financial backers and some members of the administration about the direction of the program. The report cited unnamed sources.

St. John's coach Steve Lavin (Getty Images)
MORE: Top 25 highest-paid coaches | Lavin says he's a bad tourney coach | All of college basketball's hirings and firings

“They’re meeting either this weekend or Monday to discuss the fate of Lavin,” one source told SNY.tv.

Another source said that several administrators have already adjourned one meeting about Lavin's fate over the weekend and were taking steps to secure a second meeting.

“I’d be shocked if he ever survived this,” the second source said.

St. John's lost to San Diego State in the Round of 64 last week at the NCAA Tournament. After the loss, Lavin expressed his expectation for a contract extension. He will be entering the final year of his deal next season.

Lavin's buyout is worth $2 million. He has an 81-55 record with St. John's and has led them to two NCAA Tournament appearances and two NIT Tournament appearances.

Tripping William
03-27-2015, 02:56 PM
I couldn't find the official announcement

As I mentioned in the other Duke-specific coaching carousel thread, I had not see that Lavin was out, but SI this afternoon has a report here to that effect:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/03/27/st-johns-coach-steve-lavin-mutually-agree-part-ways

MChambers
03-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Maybe he finds a quality senior PG transfer, the team gets lucky in close games and sneaks into the NCAA Tournament.

Hope not, at least if we are in that market.

superdave
03-27-2015, 03:25 PM
As I mentioned in the other Duke-specific coaching carousel thread, I had not see that Lavin was out, but SI this afternoon has a report here to that effect:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/03/27/st-johns-coach-steve-lavin-mutually-agree-part-ways

I saw on twitter than Danny Hurley would get some interest from St John's.

Here's Zags on it... http://zagsblog.com/articles/st-johns-parts-ways-with-steve-lavin/

Henderson
03-27-2015, 04:04 PM
Word out of Texas is that Barnes is gone (consistent with the murmors of the past couple days), though it sounds kind of like the principals are working this out through the press, which is never pretty.

http://www.burntorangenation.com

FerryFor50
03-27-2015, 04:07 PM
Word out of Texas is that Barnes is gone (consistent with the murmors of the past couple days), though it sounds kind of like the principals are working this out through the press, which is never pretty.

http://www.burntorangenation.com

He's been hanging by a thread for several years now.

Had they won their first round game, I bet he'd have been given another reprieve. But it's probably time to move on from Barnes.

sagegrouse
03-27-2015, 05:09 PM
Lavin and St. John's part ways "by mutual agreement (http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12569821/st-john-red-storm-cut-ties-steve-lavin)." Complicated situation, I would say.

Article suggests Chris Mullin or one of the Hurleys.

Henderson
03-27-2015, 05:10 PM
And now Donnie Tyndall is out at Tennessee. I think his place on the coaching carousel mght be "off."

A-Tex Devil
03-27-2015, 05:17 PM
And now Donnie Tyndall is out at Tennessee. I think his place on the coaching carousel mght be "off."

Assuming Barnes is out at Texas, the other UT is nice landing spot for him.... if he wanted it.

But that opens up the Texas job.... last year I would have said Buzz Peterson, but I'm not so sure now. That move to Va Tech was, um, curious. Once the cacophony of Smart!/Marshall!/Stevens! dies down, I could see Texas going after Mack at Xavier (a tough pull considering he played there) or making a hard run at Tony Bennett (although I should probably bucket him in that first group). Would love to see Texas go after Chris Collins.

Henderson
03-27-2015, 05:20 PM
Can anything pry Mark Few away from Gonzaga? Certainly not Alabama, but Texas or Kentucky?

Neither Texas nor Kentucky I think.

Mark Few is a fly fisherman. With a well-balanced life and a great gig. He gets lots of interest this time of year, every year. I don't see him going to a place without good fly fishing streams. And none of those is either vacant or better than where he is.

P.S. The fly fisherman in Mark Few would make me worry about Gonzaga.

Olympic Fan
03-27-2015, 05:25 PM
Assuming Barnes is out at Texas, the other UT is nice landing spot for him.... if he wanted it.

But that opens up the Texas job.... last year I would have said Buzz Peterson, but I'm not so sure now. That move to Va Tech was, um, curious. Once the cacophony of Smart!/Marshall!/Stevens! dies down, I could see Texas going after Mack at Xavier (a tough pull considering he played there) or making a hard run at Tony Bennett (although I should probably bucket him in that first group). Would love to see Texas go after Chris Collins.

I assume you mean Buzz Williams ... as for Buzz Peterson, I think that branch of the UNC coaching tree is dead and has been pruned. Getting fired after a 9-23 season at UNC Wilmington will do that to you.

duke79
03-27-2015, 05:31 PM
OK, this is getting complicated now. A lot of "coaching musical chairs" will be played in the next month or so. I'm guessing Jeff Capel will find a new home at one of these schools with a coaching vacancy and some other members of the Duke coaching tree will also have new homes. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

53n206
03-27-2015, 05:46 PM
I would be surprised to see Capel returning to the big 12.

Henderson
03-27-2015, 05:51 PM
Didn't see this posted elsewhere, and it's a bit of fun. WRAL posted a poll asking whether Ol' Roy should be fired. Cue the firestorm. Cue the apology. http://sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/wral-apologizes-for-poll-on-firing-uncs-roy-williams.102866/ Then cue the comments.

blazindw
03-27-2015, 06:05 PM
ESPN now reporting that St. John's and Steve Lavin have mutually agreed to part ways (http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12569821/st-john-red-storm-cut-ties-steve-lavin). Candidates listed to replace Lavin include Chris Mullin, Bobby Hurley and Dan Hurley.

hurleyfor3
03-27-2015, 07:15 PM

12. To get away from Kentucky.

NashvilleDevil
03-28-2015, 05:22 PM
Jeff Goodman just posted on Twitter that Rick Barnes has been fired.

wilson
03-28-2015, 05:54 PM
Jeff Goodman just posted on Twitter that Rick Barnes has been fired.
Story here: http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=12571138
Shaka Smart and Gregg Marshall among early suggestions as possible replacements.

gocanes0506
03-28-2015, 06:14 PM
Texas would be a great place for Marshall. Much better than Bama.

fuse
03-28-2015, 06:35 PM
Texas would be a great place for Marshall. Much better than Bama.

I don't want to lose Capel, and Texas would make much more sense than Arizona State for Jeff.

JasonEvans
03-28-2015, 07:23 PM
I don't want to lose Capel, and Texas would make much more sense than Arizona State for Jeff.

Anyone want to chime in on the odds that Texas hires a guy who got fired by Oklahoma? About 0%, I suspect.

-Jason "Texas will want someone who has a very recent track record of much success... especially in the NCAA tourney" Evans

lotusland
03-28-2015, 08:40 PM
Potential Texas candidates - Marshall, Smart or NBA guy per the Jeffs (Goodman and Borzello)

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12571138/rick-barnes-coach-texas-longhorns

Two coaches interested in the Texas opening and who will be in the mix to replace Barnes are Wichita State's Gregg Marshall and VCU's Shaka Smart, according to sources.

One source said Patterson also could go for an outside-the-box hire with NBA ties. Patterson has NBA connections as a former executive with the Houston Rockets and Portland Trail Blazers.

A-Tex Devil
03-28-2015, 11:10 PM
Potential Texas candidates - Marshall, Smart or NBA guy per the Jeffs (Goodman and Borzello)

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12571138/rick-barnes-coach-texas-longhorns

Reading that it may be Marshall to Texas if the money is right. Texas has to have the job posted for a certain period of time (governmental entity employment posting rules), so may be a week. If Marshall bails, and I think he might, look for Krystowiak. I don't think Shaka would be interested.

Henderson
03-28-2015, 11:17 PM
Part of me wonders where Rick Barnes goes next. He's 60 years old, which is an awkward age to be looking for work.

The other part of me doesn't give a rip. Never liked the guy.

lotusland
03-28-2015, 11:28 PM
Part of me wonders where Rick Barnes goes next. He's 60 years old, which is an awkward age to be looking for work.

Tex Devil suggested UT East would be a good fit and I agree. They need stability in Knoxville and Barnes can recruit.

Pat Forde is reporting that Marshall already told Bama "No" and is interested in Texas. Bama not really a candidate for Shaka as apparently he is buddies with Grant. Would Capel consider Bama? I hope not.

Henderson
03-28-2015, 11:46 PM
Tex Devil suggested UT East would be a good fit and I agree. They need stability in Knoxville and Barnes can recruit.

Clemson, Texas, Tennessee. Does he have an orange fetish or is he just hoping not to have to buy new ties?

A-Tex Devil
03-29-2015, 12:39 AM

Off the court, Barnes is about the nicest, most genuine guy you'll meet. Not a glad-hander or political guy. The anti-Mack Brown. But his teams are just, I don't know, uncomfortable playing for him the past 6 years, last year the one exception.

wsb3
03-29-2015, 09:15 AM
I loved how Barnes refused to back off one bit from Dean Smith when he was at Clemson. I think at one time Clemson was ranked in the top 5 under his watch. That is pretty remarkable.

53n206
03-29-2015, 10:47 AM
Saw on one of the first reports of Barnes– Texas that Coach Barnes was asked to replace his entire staff and he refused. If so, then I think Coach Barnes is a man. He's been around for a while and I think it be good to take a break with one of the networks.

TruBlu
03-29-2015, 11:37 AM
Saw on one of the first reports of Barnes– Texas that Coach Barnes was asked to replace his entire staff and he refused. If so, then I think Coach Barnes is a man. He's been around for a while and I think it be good to take a break with one of the networks.

Kinda like Coach Cut, huh?

Henderson
03-29-2015, 11:54 AM

It's curious to me that Texas would demand that the staff be replaced as a condition that the head coach remain.

"General, we love you, but we're not keen on the junior officers you've selected." It's a strange message and smacks of disingenuousness. Isn't one of the primary roles of a leader to choose good subordinates? Who is responsible for their being there?

Want an excuse to fire someone? Tell him to do something you know is unreasonable.

jdj4duke
03-29-2015, 12:00 PM
Off the court, Barnes is about the nicest, most genuine guy you'll meet. Not a glad-hander or political guy. The anti-Mack Brown. But his teams are just, I don't know, uncomfortable playing for him the past 6 years, last year the one exception.

Exactly right about Rick being a genuine guy. My wife went to high school with him, and our daughter went to UT. The first time we went to Austin for a parents weekend, my wife called Rick and he made a special trip to campus and gave us and another couple with us, also Duke fans, a personal tour of the entire basketball facility. Spent about two hours with us and couldn't have been more gracious. About two weeks later, he drove in a golf cart to my daughter's dorm to deliver some great football tickets to her. That was pretty cool.

He said that at some point he would love to come back to the Carolinas somewhere. and he deflected any talk of the dust up with Dean long ago when my friend brought it up. So, maybe he could take Ol' Roy's place. Yeah, that would be a good fit.

Henderson
03-29-2015, 12:06 PM
Exactly right about Rick being a genuine guy. My wife went to high school with him, and our daughter went to UT. The first time we went to Austin for a parents weekend, my wife called Rick and he made a special trip to campus and gave us and another couple with us, also Duke fans, a personal tour of the entire basketball facility. Spent about two hours with us and couldn't have been more gracious. About two weeks later, he drove in a golf cart to my daughter's dorm to deliver some great football tickets to her. That was pretty cool.

He said that at some point he would love to come back to the Carolinas somewhere. and he deflected any talk of the dust up with Dean long ago when my friend brought it up. So, maybe he could take Ol' Roy's place. Yeah, that would be a good fit.

Everytime some guy does something horrible, there is an interview with a neighbor who describes him as a nice guy because he helped her with her groceries.

Rick Barnes isn't that horrible guy. But personal anecdotes about his being nice to someone don't cut much in the overall picture.

Olympic Fan
03-29-2015, 01:10 PM
Sources telling ESPN that Dave Leitao interviewing for the DePaul job. Hope that means that Bobby has decided not to take it.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12579222/depaul-blue-demons-seriously-considering-bringing-back-dave-leitao-coach

Leitao coached at DePaul three seasons (getting them to the NCAA once and the NIT twice) before he left for Virginia. Would be an interesting re-hire. Then again, after all the horror stories of his behavior at Virginia, not sure I'd want him at my school.

Plus, I was trying to think -- has there ever been an ACC coach who was fired who later had success a another school?

Paul Hewitt was a disaster at George Mason. Matt Doherty flopped at SMU. Maybe Jeff Jones at American?

freshmanjs
03-29-2015, 01:40 PM
Sources telling ESPN that Dave Leitao interviewing for the DePaul job. Hope that means that Bobby has decided not to take it.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12579222/depaul-blue-demons-seriously-considering-bringing-back-dave-leitao-coach

Leitao coached at DePaul three seasons (getting them to the NCAA once and the NIT twice) before he left for Virginia. Would be an interesting re-hire. Then again, after all the horror stories of his behavior at Virginia, not sure I'd want him at my school.

Plus, I was trying to think -- has there ever been an ACC coach who was fired who later had success a another school?

Paul Hewitt was a disaster at George Mason. Matt Doherty flopped at SMU. Maybe Jeff Jones at American?

Larry Shyatt has had pretty good success at Wyoming with 20+ win seasons 3 of last 4 years and an NCAA bid this year. His departure was "mutual" so not sure if he counts.

Cliff Ellis, also not fired, was successful at Auburn and Coastal Carolina.

True firings -- I can't think of any examples (unless you count Seth G's success on TV??)

wsb3
03-29-2015, 02:31 PM
Hires Leitao
http://espn.go.com/chicago/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12581470/dave-leitao-named-depaul-blue-demons-head-basketball-coach

Reilly
03-29-2015, 03:33 PM

Lefty had success at JMU (NCAA appearance, NIT appearance, lots of regular season champs). Jeff Jones at ODU, too.

jdj4duke
03-29-2015, 04:28 PM
Everytime some guy does something horrible, there is an interview with a neighbor who describes him as a nice guy because he helped her with her groceries.

Rick Barnes isn't that horrible guy. But personal anecdotes about his being nice to someone don't cut much in the overall picture.

Of course that is right; personal anecdotes mean nothing. I was just echoing A-Tex Devil's comments. I was surprised that the UT Athletic Director didn't call to get my input on Barnes' future.

FerryFor50
03-29-2015, 09:28 PM
St John's offers job to former Johnnie Chris Mullin.

Not a terrible idea...

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/03/29/st-johns-chris-mullin-coaching-job

Henderson
03-30-2015, 10:25 AM
Anyone know what's going on with Alabama's search? Seemed as though they were prepared to toss a bunch of money at the Wizard of Wichita, and he seemed receptive. Then in swoops Texas with an opening and piles of cash. How about Auburn guy, Mr. Charkley? Now that would be fun. Improbable but fun.

BD80
03-30-2015, 11:59 AM

He'd be a great hire as an assistant for a young "up-and-coming" head coach, moving up from a mid-major to a big time program. He'd be great with the big money boosters, help with the parents on the recruiting trail, help train the other assistants etc. He probably is financially secure, and may appreciate such a position.

St John's offers job to former Johnnie Chris Mullin.

Not a terrible idea...

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/03/29/st-johns-chris-mullin-coaching-job

Ummm. Do 16-17 yos even know who Chris Mullin is?

killerleft
03-30-2015, 12:06 PM
Anyone know what's going on with Alabama's search? Seemed as though they were prepared to toss a bunch of money at the Wizard of Wichita, and he seemed receptive. Then in swoops Texas with an opening and piles of cash. How about Auburn guy, Mr. Charkley? Now that would be fun. Improbable but fun.

Mr. Charkley would be the guy I'd pick to protect the new trees from being poisoned. I can see the commercial for it now. Barles has it made.

TruBlu
03-30-2015, 12:15 PM

Speaking from personal experience, you could have stopped at the bolded part.

duke74
03-30-2015, 12:15 PM

Maybe not, but their coaches (HS and AAU) probably do, especially in the NYC area - where the Johnnies need to step it up...Chris was a legend here, especially by staying home vs going to...hmm..Duke...

Hire an experienced assistant and recruiter, and go for it. I don't see a downside to this hire.

Funny though, as some of you know, I am an adjunct at St. John's. Before teasing the kids this AM about Indy, I asked what they felt about the?change in coaches. "What change?" is what I got in response. Perhaps part of the problem right there.

Billy Dat
03-30-2015, 04:12 PM
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 4m4 minutes ago
Tennessee had already reached out to the (Rick) Barnes camp by the time he was officially out at Texas. Two sides been talking over weekend.

Good for Barnes. That's a big step down from Texas but not a jump into the abyss. Bruce Pearl showed that you can build a major program in Knoxville and one assumes they'll want some stability after the massive turnover the past few years.

SoCalDukeFan
03-30-2015, 04:33 PM
He'd be a great hire as an assistant for a young "up-and-coming" head coach, moving up from a mid-major to a big time program. He'd be great with the big money boosters, help with the parents on the recruiting trail, help train the other assistants etc. He probably is financially secure, and may appreciate such a position.

The young guys might not know Mullin but the alums do so they will probably give him a pass and let him to try to build a program. I have read that Lavin is leaving the cupboard pretty bare.

SoCal

duke74
03-30-2015, 05:42 PM
The young guys might not know Mullin but the alums do so they will probably give him a pass and let him to try to build a program. I have read that Lavin is leaving the cupboard pretty bare.

SoCal

This was a very high ranked freshman class, of which 4 remained and are graduating. The big was suspended for the NCAAT from weed, and had requested a transfer last year (but obviously remained). While a junior now, who knows if he will be back. The PG from Philly (Rysheed Jordan) is rumored to opting into the draft...and the no 1 recruit (4 star?) has reopened the game based on Lavin's departure.

Not looking good for the Johnnies...

A-Tex Devil
03-30-2015, 06:17 PM
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 4m4 minutes ago
Tennessee had already reached out to the (Rick) Barnes camp by the time he was officially out at Texas. Two sides been talking over weekend.

Good for Barnes. That's a big step down from Texas but not a jump into the abyss. Bruce Pearl showed that you can build a major program in Knoxville and one assumes they'll want some stability after the massive turnover the past few years.

Yeah, this is a great move for Barnes, really. He is good coaching kids up. Barnes had his moments at Texas, usually when expectations weren't sky high (2006, 2008, 2011, 2014)

Texas may not be willing to outpspend 'Bama for Marshall. Hearing Smart in play. Would prefer Archie, but he's probably not high profile enough for the new AD. Get your TM registered on the "Texas: Strong and Smart" gear while you can!

BigWayne
03-30-2015, 06:26 PM
ESPN is claiming Mullin is going to be the new coach at St Johns.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12588736/chris-mullin-st-john-red-storm-head-coach

AZLA
03-30-2015, 06:33 PM

Looks like ASU is taking a look at Hurley too

Atlanta Duke
03-31-2015, 10:27 AM
Looks like ASU is taking a look at Hurley too

But Jeff Capel interviewed yesterday - with a fairly important game coming up this weekend that would seem to indicate serious interest in the job

A source close to the Arizona State program told CBSSports.com that Jeff Capel's meeting with ASU officials on Monday "went well," and that the two sides plan to speak again. Still, a source said, it's unlikely anything will be finalized until Duke's season is completed.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25130097/jeff-capel-remains-arizona-states-target-after-positive-meeting

sagegrouse
03-31-2015, 10:43 AM
Oklahoma State is looking at the possibility of dismissing Ford (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12590918/oklahoma-state-cowboys-mulling-travis-ford-firing).

MCFinARL
03-31-2015, 10:43 AM
Farther down the food chain, George Mason hires Bucknell coach Dave Paulsen (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/george-mason-hires-dave-paulsen-from-bucknell/2015/03/30/2934c42c-d717-11e4-bf0b-f648b95a6488_story.html) to replace Paul Hewitt.

Billy Dat
03-31-2015, 03:09 PM
A-Tex and other Texans - what say you about the Texas opening?

Twitter is currently ablaze with talk of Avery Johnson. That would be an interesting approach.

Texas is an absolutely HUGE head coaching job. Are they going to get it done with Gregg Marshall?

roywhite
03-31-2015, 03:16 PM
Yeah, this is a great move for Barnes, really. He is good coaching kids up. Barnes had his moments at Texas, usually when expectations weren't sky high (2006, 2008, 2011, 2014)

Texas may not be willing to outpspend 'Bama for Marshall. Hearing Smart in play. Would prefer Archie, but he's probably not high profile enough for the new AD. Get your TM registered on the "Texas: Strong and Smart" gear while you can!

Yeah, also getting back closer to his roots. He's from western NC -- grew up in Hickory and went to Lenoir-Rhyne; likely he'll be more comfortable in Knoxville than he was in Austin.

SCMatt33
03-31-2015, 03:45 PM
Oklahoma State is looking at the possibility of dismissing Ford (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12590918/oklahoma-state-cowboys-mulling-travis-ford-firing).

Apparently his contract is fully guaranteed and they would owe him 9.6 million to get him out the door. I've read that boosters are willing to help (Boone Pickens, maybe?), but that's an awful lot of money to fire a guy who has made the tourney in 5 of 7 seasons. Of coarse, he hasn't won a tourney game since his first year, and has flopped in March despite having some major talent to work with. That's still a ridiculous contract, and one that was apparently signed after his first season in Stillwater. Tech fans can at least feel a little better that the Paul Hewitt deal might not have been the worst of this century. At least he made a Final Four (let alone a Sweet 16) before getting the big deal.

A-Tex Devil
03-31-2015, 05:13 PM
A-Tex and other Texans - what say you about the Texas opening?

Twitter is currently ablaze with talk of Avery Johnson. That would be an interesting approach.

Texas is an absolutely HUGE head coaching job. Are they going to get it done with Gregg Marshall?

I think/hope that the Avery Johnson/John Lucas/Mark Jackson talk is just reporters trying to scoop each other through the feces on wall method given that the Texas AD has a significant background in the NBA.

Texas is a big job, but I think there is a cap on what it will pay. Texas would like to be on the Florida/Ohio St. level, but frankly, they are closer to whatever group that next level of state schools are when it comes to basketball success the past 10 years (probably aligned, results-wise, with OU, Iowa, Cal, Oregon more than it would like to admit).

As such, Texas isn't going to shell out K/Izzo/Calipari/Pitino money for a *new* basketball coach even though it probably could. If whoever Texas hires starts winning big, then katy bar the door. But I don't think you'll see the UT Ath Dept break the bank here. The rumors are that 'Bama is going to back up the Brinks for Marshall, and the Okie State stuff is just weird to me, signaling either that Ford did something bad or T Boone thinks he can swing a huge hire. $9.6 MM is ridiculous, though.

Newton_14
03-31-2015, 08:07 PM
I think/hope that the Avery Johnson/John Lucas/Mark Jackson talk is just reporters trying to scoop each other through the feces on wall method given that the Texas AD has a significant background in the NBA.

Texas is a big job, but I think there is a cap on what it will pay. Texas would like to be on the Florida/Ohio St. level, but frankly, they are closer to whatever group that next level of state schools are when it comes to basketball success the past 10 years (probably aligned, results-wise, with OU, Iowa, Cal, Oregon more than it would like to admit).

As such, Texas isn't going to shell out K/Izzo/Calipari/Pitino money for a *new* basketball coach even though it probably could. If whoever Texas hires starts winning big, then katy bar the door. But I don't think you'll see the UT Ath Dept break the bank here. The rumors are that 'Bama is going to back up the Brinks for Marshall, and the Okie State stuff is just weird to me, signaling either that Ford did something bad or T Boone thinks he can swing a huge hire. $9.6 MM is ridiculous, though.

It would make zero sense to me for Marshall to go to Bama. In my humble opinion, Wich St is a better job. Alabama has zero history. Why on earth would any big name coach want to go there even if they are going to pay an absurd amount of money. I just don't see it. If folks think NC State ain't a school that can attract a big name coach then Alabama certainly should not be able to.

Other thoughts...
- Good hire by UT Vols to snatch up Barnes. He will do great there I think...
- Not sold on the Mullin hire by St Johns. Great player, but can he coach? Can he recruit? St Johns needs to go beyond NYC for recruits. They are a school that should be able to recruit Nationally.
- Don't like the ASU job for Capel. He should be able to do better. Agree with my buddy Jason Evans though that no way Texas would hire Capel due to the Sooner history.
- If Marshall bolts for Texas, Wichita St would be a good step up for Bobby Hurley. If the Shockers make a good hire they should be able to sustain the success. (But who says Marshall is going anywhere to begin with. Still say there is no chance he goes to Bama unless it be for the retirement package the salary would represent, if they indeed are willing to pay the absurd amounts being suggested.

duke74
03-31-2015, 09:23 PM
- Not sold on the Mullin hire by St Johns. Great player, but can he coach? Can he recruit? St Johns needs to go beyond NYC for recruits. They are a school that should be able to recruit Nationally.

As much as I love the school and enjoy teaching there, I'm not sure SJU will its regain their position as an elite program. NYC doesn't produce the 5 stars as much, and there are more attractive campuses for non-NYCers. I hope I am wrong, but this will be a long road. They are now at best a mid-major program, in a mid level conference (the rump of the Big East).

As for Chris, he'll need a top bench coach and great recruiters, including those with links to local HS coaches - something SJU hasn't had for years (since Mike Jarvis, I think).

I do look forward, however, to seeing him on campus and wish him the best.

Henderson
03-31-2015, 09:38 PM
As much as I love the school and enjoy teaching there, I'm not sure SJU will its regain their position as an elite program. NYC doesn't produce the 5 stars as much,and there are more attractive campuses for non-NYCers. I hope I am wrong, but this will be a long road. They are now at best a mid-major program, in a mid level conference (the rump of the Big East).

As for Chris, he'll need a top bench coach and great recruiters, including those with links to local HS coaches - something SJU hasn't had for years (since Mike Jarvis, I think).

I do look forward, however, to seeing him on campus and wish him the best.

How can this be? The NY metro area has 20 million people, 1/16 of the entire US population. I'd think if you can't make it there, you can't make it anywhere.

devildeac
03-31-2015, 09:47 PM
How can this be? The NY metro area has 20 million people, 1/16 of the entire US population. I'd think if you can't make it there, you can't make it anywhere.

I see what you did there. Well done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theme_from_New_York,_New_York

duke74
03-31-2015, 10:57 PM

Thanks, Frank. :)

CrazyNotCrazie
04-01-2015, 09:31 AM
Mullin better hope that in addition to NYC players, he can find some guys who want to make a brand new start of it in old New York

Billy Dat
04-01-2015, 12:39 PM
Here's the list of D1 coaches salaries that have been published...really interesting:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Roy is not nearly as well paid as some of his contemporaries...Gottfried makes more than him!

superdave
04-01-2015, 12:47 PM
Here's the list of D1 coaches salaries that have been published...really interesting:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Roy is not nearly as well paid as some of his contemporaries...Gottfried makes more than him!

I could be wrong but I believe Nike and Roy have an outside deal. That has historically been the case at Unc.

jv001
04-01-2015, 02:50 PM
I could be wrong but I believe Nike and Roy have an outside deal. That has historically been the case at Unc.

Old roy has to get the money from somewhere to pay off those professors, pay student athletes, keep gas in Fat's cars and pay someone to keep up his beach houses. I guess Nike is as good a place to get it as any place else. :cool: GoDuke!

Tripping William
04-01-2015, 04:18 PM
Old roy has to get the money from somewhere to pay off those professors, pay student athletes, keep gas in Fat's cars and pay someone to keep up his beach houses. I guess Nike is as good a place to get it as any place else. :cool: GoDuke!

And the masseuse. Don't forget the masseuse.

Billy Dat
04-01-2015, 04:29 PM
And the masseuse. Don't forget the masseuse.

That's just the attitude we don't need. Sure, Roy has thrown his team under the bus twelve years in a row. Sure, they're terrific athletes. They've got the best equipment that money can buy. Hell, every team they're sending over here has their own personal masseuse, not masseur, masseuse. But it doesn't matter. Do you know that every Heel competitor has an electrocardiogram, blood and urine tests every 48 hours to see if there's any change in his physical condition? Do you know that they use the most sophisticated training methods from the Soviet Union, East and West Germany, and the newest Olympic power Trinidad-Tobago? But it doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter. IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER. I tell you, IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER! IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER! IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9mf3Bypyk8

PSurprise
04-01-2015, 04:34 PM
I wonder where they get their figures for the coaches at private universities? Does this usually get published by the universities or is there some digging to do?

Tripping William
04-01-2015, 04:44 PM
That's just the attitude we don't need. Sure, Roy has thrown his team under the bus twelve years in a row. Sure, they're terrific athletes. They've got the best equipment that money can buy. Hell, every team they're sending over here has their own personal masseuse, not masseur, masseuse. But it doesn't matter. Do you know that every Heel competitor has an electrocardiogram, blood and urine tests every 48 hours to see if there's any change in his physical condition? Do you know that they use the most sophisticated training methods from the Soviet Union, East and West Germany, and the newest Olympic power Trinidad-Tobago? But it doesn't matter. It just doesn't matter. IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER. I tell you, IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER! IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER! IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9mf3Bypyk8

Cuz we swept 'em anyway! :)

Indoor66
04-01-2015, 05:11 PM
I wonder where they get their figures for the coaches at private universities? Does this usually get published by the universities or is there some digging to do?

I believe the figures come from the required IRS Form 990 that every Non-Profit is required to file.

wsb3
04-02-2015, 03:35 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12600968/gregg-marshall-remain-head-coach-wichita-state-shockers

NYBri
04-02-2015, 04:15 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12600968/gregg-marshall-remain-head-coach-wichita-state-shockers

Of course, there's always the "use the rumors of leaving to get a better contract, even though you have no intention of leaving in the first place" ploy.

A-Tex Devil
04-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Of course, there's always the "use the rumors of leaving to get a better contract, even though you have no intention of leaving in the first place" ploy.

Apparently Steve Patterson at UT and Marshall met and there was instant friction (god knows whose fault it was because both guys are prickly as hell). Not sure what happened with 'Bama other than maybe Marshall seeing Wichita St. as simply a better job.

The Texas/Smart rumors are heating up. I'm a bit surprised, because I thought Smart would stick to the east coast, but I'm hearing Patterson is in/on way to Richmond to try to seal deal.

Newton_14
04-02-2015, 04:45 PM
Apparently Steve Patterson at UT and Marshall met and there was instant friction (god knows whose fault it was because both guys are prickly as hell). Not sure what happened with 'Bama other than maybe Marshall seeing Wichita St. as simply a better job.

The Texas/Smart rumors are heating up. I'm a bit surprised, because I thought Smart would stick to the east coast, but I'm hearing Patterson is in/on way to Richmond to try to seal deal.

Supposedly Texas sent the private plane to pick Shaka up. Da plane, Da plane boss!

MChambers
04-02-2015, 04:54 PM
Supposedly Texas sent the private plane to pick Shaka up. Da plane, Da plane boss!

Raising the question of why a state educational institution needs a private plane, but I suppose I am hopelessly out of date and unrealistic on these things.

flyingdutchdevil
04-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Raising the question of why a state educational institution needs a private plane, but I suppose I am hopelessly out of date and unrealistic on these things.

Nope, you're not. No academic institution needs a private plane, like companies don't need private planes anymore.

My corp fin professor in b-school had the best investor advice: "If a company begins buying private planes, sell your stock. It's a clear sign they have no idea what to do with their money".

CDu
04-02-2015, 05:01 PM

Nope, you're not. No academic institution needs a private plane, like companies don't need private planes anymore.

My corp fin professor in b-school had the best investor advice: "If a company begins buying private planes, sell your stock. It's a clear sign they have no idea what to do with their money".

To be fair, I suspect the plane would really be some rich alum booster's private plane, not the university's plane.

flyingdutchdevil
04-02-2015, 05:04 PM
To be fair, I suspect the plane would really be some rich alum booster's private plane, not the university's plane.

Matthew McConaughey has a private plane? ;)

Duvall
04-02-2015, 05:06 PM
So is Texas actually going to lock this deal down, or are the Longhorn insiders wrong yet again?

A-Tex Devil
04-02-2015, 05:13 PM

He could have had one, but he had too much loyalty to Tugg Speedman and didn't fall for Les Grossman's false promises of a G6.

So is Texas actually going to lock this deal down, or are the Longhorn insiders wrong yet again?

Texas not locking down Smart doesn't mean the insiders are wrong that Smart is being wooed. I haven't seen a single report that says it's a done deal from Texas insiders or otherwise.

superdave
04-02-2015, 06:24 PM
He could have had one, but he had too much loyalty to Tugg Speedman and didn't fall for Les Grossman's false promises of a G6.

Texas not locking down Smart doesn't mean the insiders are wrong that Smart is being wooed. I haven't seen a single report that says it's a done deal from Texas insiders or otherwise.

Shaka is making $1.5 million right now. Not sure VCU can get any further than that. So this is not a leverage thing, but true interest in my opinion.

I guess we'll know soon.

sagegrouse
04-02-2015, 06:42 PM

I believe the IRS requires that, for any non-profit entity, the salaries of the highest paid employees be published. Of course, what you get from Duke omits most of the high-paid docs, who are paid mostly through a for-profit entity.

SCMatt33
04-02-2015, 07:02 PM
Shaka is making $1.5 million right now. Not sure VCU can get any further than that. So this is not a leverage thing, but true interest in my opinion.

I guess we'll know soon.

Wichita State came with 3.3 MM for Marshall. I'm sure VCU has some money to give Smart. Of course, Texas is a much better job than Alabama was for Marshall, so money might not be enough to get him to stay.

On the Greg Marshall front, he seemed to get a ton of money thrown at him. If the $4MM reports were true from Alabama, that would have put him in the $4MM club that includes, Coach K, Calipari, Pitino, Bill Self, Izzo, and reportedly Billy Donovon next year should he not bolt for the NBA. Those guys all have multiple Final Four trips and a Title with their current school. Greg Marshall has 2 Sweet 16s including one Final Four. If you're Alabama, the move makes sense because you have the money and you know that you need to outspend the market to attract a candidate. As it is, his new $3.3 MM salary puts him a tier with Sean Miller, Thad Matta, and Bob Huggins, all of whom have exhibited consistency over a long period of time. Marshall's success has come pretty much exclusively with the core of Van Vleet, Cotton, Baker, and (before this year) Early. I hope for his sake, he can keep it up when their all gone, because there will likely be much increased pressure on him now. He seems like a great coach, so I have no reason to believe that he won't succeed, but you never know.

pfrduke
04-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Wichita State came with 3.3 MM for Marshall. I'm sure VCU has some money to give Smart. Of course, Texas is a much better job than Alabama was for Marshall, so money might not be enough to get him to stay.

On the Greg Marshall front, he seemed to get a ton of money thrown at him. If the $4MM reports were true from Alabama, that would have put him in the $4MM club that includes, Coach K, Calipari, Pitino, Bill Self, Izzo, and reportedly Billy Donovon next year should he not bolt for the NBA. Those guys all have multiple Final Four trips and a Title with their current school. Greg Marshall has 2 Sweet 16s including one Final Four. If you're Alabama, the move makes sense because you have the money and you know that you need to outspend the market to attract a candidate. As it is, his new $3.3 MM salary puts him a tier with Sean Miller, Thad Matta, and Bob Huggins, all of whom have exhibited consistency over a long period of time. Marshall's success has come pretty much exclusively with the core of Van Vleet, Cotton, Baker, and (before this year) Early. I hope for his sake, he can keep it up when their all gone, because there will likely be much increased pressure on him now. He seems like a great coach, so I have no reason to believe that he won't succeed, but you never know.

That's not entirely fair. Marshall's last three years at Winthrop ('05-'07), the team went 79-19, 42-4 in conference, made the NCAA each year and picked up an upset win over Notre Dame in the last season (and was a hair's breadth/Chris Lofton corner 3 away from a 2-15 upset over Tennessee the season before). Then he came to Wichita State and, excluding the ramp up period of his first two seasons, is on a 6 year stretch averaging 29 wins a season, finishing no worse than 12-6 in conference, with 4 straight tourney bids (and an NIT championship the year before that). That record is probably one of the 2-3 best coaching performances outside the high-major level over the past decade.

OldPhiKap
04-02-2015, 07:35 PM

<LesGrossman> G6 -- Playa . . . . </LesGrossman>

SCMatt33
04-02-2015, 10:02 PM
That's not entirely fair. Marshall's last three years at Winthrop ('05-'07), the team went 79-19, 42-4 in conference, made the NCAA each year and picked up an upset win over Notre Dame in the last season (and was a hair's breadth/Chris Lofton corner 3 away from a 2-15 upset over Tennessee the season before). Then he came to Wichita State and, excluding the ramp up period of his first two seasons, is on a 6 year stretch averaging 29 wins a season, finishing no worse than 12-6 in conference, with 4 straight tourney bids (and an NIT championship the year before that). That record is probably one of the 2-3 best coaching performances outside the high-major level over the past decade.

I agree that's it's very impressive what he did at Winthrop. That being said, it's entirely different to be successful at a low major school than in the upper mid majors and high majors where consistent advancement in the tourney is the standard. It's a different world and what he did at Winthrop, while great, won't necessarily translate to the world of high major basketball. He's a great coach, which is why I said that I have no reason to doubt him.

94duke
04-02-2015, 10:41 PM
Shaka will take the TX job.
https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/583819570512793600

A-Tex Devil
04-02-2015, 10:41 PM
ESPN tells me Shaka to Texas. VCU is up.....

BD80
04-02-2015, 10:42 PM

Smart decision?

OldPhiKap
04-02-2015, 10:45 PM
Smart decision?

I say ye$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

juise
04-02-2015, 10:45 PM
Smart decision?

Well, it's not a Shaka-ing one, at least.

Reilly
04-02-2015, 10:54 PM
ESPN tells me Shaka to Texas. VCU is up.....

Anthony Grant or Capel go back for round 2? Radford's coach was a VCU assistant to Grant I believe, and seems to be doing well -- too big a jump?

brevity
04-02-2015, 11:42 PM

Huge news for college basketball, but also a significant social milestone for the University of Texas, which now has African-Americans leading its football and men's basketball teams. Are there any other power conference schools that can say the same? Washington used to, but doesn't anymore.

Duvall
04-02-2015, 11:52 PM
Huge news for college basketball, but also a significant social milestone for the University of Texas, which now has African-Americans leading its football and men's basketball teams. Are there any other power conference schools that can say the same? Washington used to, but doesn't anymore.

Stanford is one. Might be the only other one right now.

Bluedog
04-02-2015, 11:56 PM

Honest question, Shaka is African American? I thought (for whatever reason) that he was Middle Eastern or biracial, but I guess I never thought too much about it.

tbyers11
04-03-2015, 12:02 AM
Honest question, Shaka is African American? I thought (for whatever reason) that he was Middle Eastern or biracial, but I guess I never thought too much about it.

Technically he is biracial African-American. His dad is from Trinidad and Tobago and his mom is white.

OldPhiKap
04-03-2015, 12:07 AM
Did not realize that either Trinidad or Tobago was in Africa.

He is American (born in Wisconsin IIRC), and a hell of a coach. Best of luck in all games other that against Duke. If he can get half of the top Texas players every year, they will be brutally good.

tbyers11
04-03-2015, 12:11 AM
Did not realize that either Trinidad or Tobsgo was in Africa.

He is American, and a hell of a coach. Best of luck in all games other that against Duke. If he can get half of the top Texas players every year, they will be brutally good.

Yeah, I struggle with the nomenclature for ethnicity too. Trinidad and Tobago is neither in Africa nor in America yet I'm pretty sure that Shaka Smart identifies himself as African-American on his census form.

OldPhiKap
04-03-2015, 09:02 AM
Shaka Smart is a great hire for Texas.

Sounds like Billy D. at Florida may be getting NBA happy feet again. If so, Alabama is really screwed -- lots of better openings ahead of it, and Barnes has already gotten the Tennessee job.

Glad to hear that Marshall is staying at Wichita State, and the school apparently $tepped it up big-time.

Troublemaker
04-03-2015, 09:12 AM
Great hire by Texas. I'd say the two most coveted young coaches over the past 3-4 years (by college bball fans, at least) are Stevens and Smart, and Texas was able to nab one of them.

A little unfortunate timing for Shaka to do this right now because this year was the year that there were several "human interest" type pieces done on him about how it's difficult for him to leave VCU because his team had several single-parent kids and he himself understood the pain of father figures leaving.

Stuff like this article: http://wtvr.com/2014/12/05/shaka-smarts-staying-at-vcu/

Or this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kYMHXy8xGM

I'm sure he'll survive any backlash, of course. (I'm not really expecting much, if any, backlash for him.)

A-Tex Devil
04-03-2015, 10:54 AM
When Augie Garrido retires, Texas is going to have to make a run at Jersey Shore State's head baseball coach, Ed Sexy.

roywhite
04-03-2015, 11:00 AM
When Augie Garrido retires, Texas is going to have to make a run at Jersey Shore State's head baseball coach, Ed Sexy.

Sure, why not? They're already Strong and Smart in their major sports.

OldPhiKap
04-03-2015, 11:08 AM
Sure, why not? They're already Strong and Smart in their major sports.

"Strong, Smart and Sexy. THE University of Texas"

Very nice.

A-Tex Devil
04-03-2015, 11:29 AM
"Strong, Smart and Sexy. THE University of Texas"

Very nice.

In all seriousness, UCLA's baseball coach is named Savage. That may be the best we can do. It should happen, though.

El_Diablo
04-03-2015, 02:07 PM
Did not realize that either Trinidad or Tobago was in Africa.

He is American (born in Wisconsin IIRC), and a hell of a coach. Best of luck in all games other that against Duke. If he can get half of the top Texas players every year, they will be brutally good.

Yeah, I struggle with the nomenclature for ethnicity too. Trinidad and Tobago is neither in Africa nor in America yet I'm pretty sure that Shaka Smart identifies himself as African-American on his census form.

Trinidad and Tobago are indeed part of the Americas. And I am not sure about Smart's lineage in particular, but one's ethnicity does not necessarily change based on one's current geographic location (e.g., after being transported on a slave ship from Africa to the Caribbean). A very large proportion of the population of Trinidad and Tobago are of African or mixed African descent, so I would not be surprised (or consider it a misnomer in any sense) if Shaka identifies as African-American.

OldPhiKap
04-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Trinidad and Tobago are indeed part of the Americas. And I am not sure about Smart's lineage in particular, but one's ethnicity does not necessarily change based on one's current geographic location (e.g., after being transported on a slave ship from Africa to the Caribbean). A very large proportion of the population of Trinidad and Tobago are of African or mixed African descent, so I would not be surprised (or consider it a misnomer in any sense) if Shaka identifies as African-American.

As I PM'd to tbyers11, I did not mean to throw this thread off-track. Shaka Smart is a damn good coach. He can make Texas a force. That was tbyer11's point I think, with which I wholly agree. The rest is immaterial.

Billy Dat
04-03-2015, 03:27 PM
If Capel leaves to coach ASU, who joins the Duke bench? I am sure that thread is happening somewhere but I haven't seen it.

I am sure Laettner would like a shot as he has been campaigning to be a coach, but I am not sure his rough style would gibe with the millennial need to be included, heard and understood.

Steal Tyler back from his presumably low paying gig with Wojo?

There are so many Duke head coaches at this point that the competition to employ former players as coaches is fierce.

OldPhiKap
04-03-2015, 03:29 PM
If Capel leaves to coach ASU, who joins the Duke bench? I am sure that thread is happening somewhere but I haven't seen it.

I am sure Laettner would like a shot as he has been campaigning to be a coach, but I am not sure his rough style would gibe with the millennial need to be included, heard and understood.

Steal Tyler back from his presumably low paying gig with Wojo?

There are so many Duke head coaches at this point that the competition to employ former players as coaches is fierce.

Tyler would be my pick for the next coach, although Wojo has him now -- not sure if that is considered poaching, or right of first refusal to the old boss.

Billy Dat
04-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Tyler would be my pick for the next coach, although Wojo has him now -- not sure if that is considered poaching, or right of first refusal to the old boss.

That's why I mentioned the low pay, his title is "graduate manager". If K could make him a full assistant, and Wojo couldn't match, I would hope he'd be ok with it. Honestly, I'd rather have my main man, and Nate good buddy, C-Well back in the fold but he's a full assistant at Marquette - plus, the fact that he never moved into a full assistant role at Duke makes me think that he didn't pass some kind of K audition because he was on staff, I think, prior to Nate showing back up.

Troublemaker
04-03-2015, 04:19 PM

I don't think it's going to be someone starting from scratch like Tyler. When Jon was bumped up to full assistant last spring, Duke could've put someone new into the "special assistant" / graduate assistant role he left behind but chose to leave it empty instead.

I think Sensei Krzyzewski is getting up there in years and is no longer taking on new apprentices. Jon is his final apprentice.

I think someone with coaching experience like Vince Taylor (current assistant at Texas Tech) or Tony Lang (current assistant with Utah Jazz under Quin Snyder) is more likely.

nocilla
04-04-2015, 11:22 AM
I think Capel stays. I heard him talking with Adam and Joe last week and he seemed to be happy where he was. Maybe it was just him trying to say the right things. He talked about his wife's family being from the area and his ties to the area along with his relationship with K and Duke making it hard for him to leave. I realize if the right situation comes along it could trump all that or he could change his mind, but it sounded like he was not looking to leave at this point.

Papa John
04-04-2015, 11:53 AM
I think Capel stays. I heard him talking with Adam and Joe last week and he seemed to be happy where he was. Maybe it was just him trying to say the right things. He talked about his wife's family being from the area and his ties to the area along with his relationship with K and Duke making it hard for him to leave. I realize if the right situation comes along it could trump all that or he could change his mind, but it sounded like he was not looking to leave at this point.

I also think Capel stays. None of the current openings are "cannot-pass-up" opportunities, IMO, and I think the benefits of continuing to learn alongside perhaps the greatest coach in the history of men's college basketball in his sunset years before he retires outweighs any of the benefits presented by the current openings. Capel is K's #2 guy right now... I don't see him leaving for the likes of ASU.

OldPhiKap
04-04-2015, 12:13 PM
FWIW I noticed at the Friday press conference that a reporter from Arizona asked K about Capel. K gave another glowing review.

Olympic Fan
04-04-2015, 01:06 PM
I also think Capel stays. None of the current openings are "cannot-pass-up" opportunities, IMO, and I think the benefits of continuing to learn alongside perhaps the greatest coach in the history of men's college basketball in his sunset years before he retires outweighs any of the benefits presented by the current openings. Capel is K's #2 guy right now... I don't see him leaving for the likes of ASU.

I wish I could agree, but I think he's gone very soon after the Final Four.

The facts are that Capel is the only candidate to have met with the ASU president and AD. That meeting was last week before Duke left for Indy. Since the meeting, there have been no known contacts between ASU officials and any other candidate. Sources in Arizona, report that there will be a second meeting between Capel and ASU officials in Tempe next week, after the Final Four. The fact that Cael refused comment about the job clearly means that it's still a possibility.

I'm not saying it's a done deal, but it seems very, very likely that Capel will take the job.

Henderson
04-04-2015, 01:29 PM
I wish I could agree, but I think he's gone very soon after the Final Four.

The facts are that Capel is the only candidate to have met with the ASU president and AD. That meeting was last week before Duke left for Indy. Since the meeting, there have been no known contacts between ASU officials and any other candidate. Sources in Arizona, report that there will be a second meeting between Capel and ASU officials in Tempe next week, after the Final Four. The fact that Cael refused comment about the job clearly means that it's still a possibility.

I'm not saying it's a done deal, but it seems very, very likely that Capel will take the job.

Your point about the lack of ASU activity is an excellent one.

If Capel leaves, it will leave a crater-size hole to be filled on the Duke bench. I don't think that hole gets filled by hiring someone below Scheyer and moving Nate and Scheyer up one spot. With due respect to Nate and Jon, the bench would be less strong.

I think that suggests a very strong hire who would rank at least equal to any other assistant. I don't know who measures up, but I hope that's the position description.

P.S. Mike Jarvis is 69. Would it be crazy to consider him?

A-Tex Devil
04-06-2015, 05:59 PM
Avery Johnson to Alabama. Should be interesting considering his kiddo is an Aggie.

burnspbesq
04-06-2015, 07:42 PM

Augie will never retire. He was already 9,000 years old when he left Fullerton, and he is a total baseball lifer.

NashvilleDevil
04-07-2015, 06:32 PM
Capel has removed himself from consideration for the Arizona St. job. I never thought Capel would bolt for Tempe not when better jobs (Indiana?) will be open next year.

brevity
04-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Capel has removed himself from consideration for the Arizona St. job. I never thought Capel would bolt for Tempe not when better jobs (Indiana?) will be open next year.

Here's a link: http://www.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on-college-basketball/25139610/jeff-capel-passes-on-arizona-state

CDu
04-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Well that certainly is good news. If the alleged recruiting help Capel provides is accurate, it should probably help us for another couple of recruiting classes.

Of course, something tells me Coach K is a pretty good recruiter too.

wsb3
04-07-2015, 10:08 PM
More good news on a day when all is right in my world. I would have been happy for him if he felt this was the right fit for he and his family but glad he is remaining with Duke. I thought about him last night & this being his first NC. Loved the group coach hug at the end.

Olympic Fan
04-08-2015, 03:04 AM

Glad to see my reasoning was wrong and that Capel is staying.

But I do think he was still considering it until Tuesday -- almost always when an identified coaching target pulls out, it becomes public right away.

Now if I can just be wrong about Tyus going, I'll be a happy man.

Reilly
04-08-2015, 07:40 AM
Former VCU assistant, worked for Tommy at Harvard per this article:

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/basketball/article_33abd350-3503-50dc-b5a5-85758b229a58.html

He's only 32 ...

Billy Dat
04-08-2015, 10:14 AM
Huge news about Capel!!!!!!

I feel like he is a serious candidate to replace K when all is said and done. I bet he sticks around through the next Olympic cycle, which I think we can all agree has helped fuel this 2010+ program renaissance, which will deepen his NBA relationships and cred with recruits. K gushes about him, I feel like he has replaced Wojo in the succession pole position.

Troublemaker
04-08-2015, 10:21 AM
Huge news about Capel!!!!!!

I feel like he is a serious candidate to replace K when all is said and done. I bet he sticks around through the next Olympic cycle, which I think we can all agree has helped fuel this 2010+ program renaissance, which will deepen his NBA relationships and cred with recruits. K gushes about him, I feel like he has replaced Wojo in the succession pole position.

Billy and others -- there may be more suitors for Capel yet, so hold off on celebrating just yet!

All we know right now is that Capel has rejected ASU.

Duke95
04-08-2015, 10:36 AM
Capel is a heck of a coach. I'd love to see him stay on the Duke bench, and when K retires, move into the big chair.

Billy Dat
04-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Billy and others -- there may be more suitors for Capel yet, so hold off on celebrating just yet!

K is meeting with the press right now, I am hoping that this statement, maybe, means he's decided to stay...pretty please...

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 52s52 seconds ago
K on Capel staying: "huge plus for us and for me"

Duvall
04-08-2015, 12:35 PM

Possibly, not the number of schools that are better opportunities than Arizona State but would still be willing to take a chance on a coach that was fired from Oklahoma isn't *that* large. There's a window there that Capel seems to be waiting on, but it's a bit narrow. Which is smart on his part, and good for Duke if he's willing to wait.

A-Tex Devil
04-08-2015, 05:07 PM

I think Indiana may be done with former OU coaches :)

mr. synellinden
04-08-2015, 10:05 PM
ASU has gone from one former Duke point guard to another. According to ESPN (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12650644/arizona-state-targeting-bobby-hurley-buffalo-bulls-next-coach), Bobby Hurley is now the leading candidate.

CameronBornAndBred
04-08-2015, 10:26 PM
ASU has gone from one former Duke point guard to another. According to ESPN (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12650644/arizona-state-targeting-bobby-hurley-buffalo-bulls-next-coach), Bobby Hurley is now the leading candidate.
Weather wise, I'd take Tempe over Buffalo any day.

BD80
04-08-2015, 10:30 PM
Weather wise, I'd take Tempe over Buffalo any day.

Not any day in July or August

Henderson
04-08-2015, 10:38 PM
Not any day in July or August

Tempe is like the rest of the Pac-12 -- impressive numbers, but it's a dry heat.

Duke95
04-09-2015, 10:30 AM
ASU seems to want a member of the Duke coaching tree. Can't say I fault their thinking. :D

Billy Dat
04-09-2015, 10:40 AM
ASU seems to want a member of the Duke coaching tree. Can't say I fault their thinking. :D

I know I mentioned this earlier, but I keep hearing tons of talk on college basketball related podcasts and radio spots, about coaching decisions being tied to sneaker companies. I know many on DBR write-off Doug Gottlieb, but he is very wired into the scene as his Dad (recent RIP) and brother are/were college and high level high school/AAU coaches. He was talking to CBS' Gary Parrish about the ASU job and they were saying that K is basically Nike's #1 college basketball dude. ASU is apparantly in the midst of switching from Nike to Adidas and, therefore, they'd be shocked if someone already on the Duke staff, in K's inner most circle, would go to an Adidas school. Hurley, while close to K, is not as closely attached from a coaching standpoint. It just shows that much more goes into this stuff than meets the eye, much like when people scratch their heads about NBA contracts and trades, or Hollywood deals, only to follow the agent trail and realize that powerful people outside the GM offices are pulling the strings on many of these packages.

So if Phil Knight holds K in such high regard, it doesn't surprise me that a few other coaches do too. Forget the results and look at who is saying that K is their model - NBA guys with no college connection to him at all - amazing:

Aiming for Final Fours, Avery Johnson calls Duke the model for Alabama program
http://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/index.ssf/2015/04/avery_johnson_final_four_duke.html

Knicks' Fisher on Coach K - "He's what I am striving to become"
http://nypost.com/2015/04/08/knicks-fisher-on-coach-k-hes-what-im-striving-to-become/

DukieInBrasil
04-09-2015, 11:09 AM
I have to say i fully agree withe front page article as it regards Hurley and the ASU job. In addition to that, Bobby's a Northeast guy, from Jersey not NY, but i get the feeling that he might appreciate the life there more than others, and may not feel as tempted to go to sunny AZ. I have no idea about Bobby's political leanings, but AZ has become pretty freakin' radical, and he may not want to have much to do with it (i wouldn't). If Bobby hangs on at Buffalo for another year or 2 and can manage to raise the profile of their program beyond its already historic level of success after just one year, i have to imagine that some pretty ideal offers will come his way. From the sound of it, ASU is not the ideal offer.
I'm glad that Bobby has found his way to coaching, he was a phenomenal player, brought 2 titles to Duke, and seems to have a pretty good knack for teaching the game too. Go Bobby!

flyingdutchdevil
04-09-2015, 11:14 AM
Aiming for Final Fours, Avery Johnson calls Duke the model for Alabama program
http://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/index.ssf/2015/04/avery_johnson_final_four_duke.html

Avery Johnson calling Duke the model for his Alabama program is like me calling Tim Cook the model for my career. Or calling Leo DiCaprio the model for my future models.

Yeah...it's nice to dream.

NancyCarol
04-09-2015, 11:24 AM
ASU Sun Devils are in Tempe. Arizona is in Tucson.

Reilly
04-09-2015, 11:42 AM
... ASU is apparantly in the midst of switching from Nike to Adidas and, therefore, they'd be shocked if someone already on the Duke staff, in K's inner most circle, would go to an Adidas school. ...

A prized possession from undergrad years is my blue Adidas t-shirt (with only the white Adidas logo on it (no Duke mention at all)). K called a couple of us over to his car to help him lift the big box of t-shirts out of his trunk, to distribute to those camping out in the January slush. This was in the pre-Nike, pre-line-monitors, pre-national-championship days ...

burnspbesq
04-09-2015, 12:15 PM
Tempe is like the rest of the Pac-12 -- impressive numbers, but it's a dry heat.

Dry or not, temps over 110 (which are common in AZ from July through October) are downright dangerous if you're not careful.

SCMatt33
04-30-2015, 03:43 PM
With Florida officially open, it's time to bump this back up. Early candidates thrown about by the media are Greg Marshall, Chris Mack, and Archie Miller. We'll see if there's any mutual interest with any of them.

devildeac
04-30-2015, 04:46 PM
With Florida officially open (at least until tomorrow), it's time to bump this back up. Early candidates thrown about by the media are Greg Marshall, Chris Mack, and Archie Miller. We'll see if there's any mutual interest with any of them.

Added some clarification for you;):rolleyes:.

killerleft
04-30-2015, 07:58 PM
Augie will never retire. He was already 9,000 years old when he left Fullerton, and he is a total baseball lifer.

I'm old enough to remember when Augie Garrido played shortstop for the Burlington (NC) Indians in the early 1960s (Class A Carolina League).

lotusland
04-30-2015, 08:34 PM
Added some clarification for you;):rolleyes:.

Well FU is a better job than Bama but I kinda doubt Marshall is leaving WSU after signing the fat new contract. On the latest CBS podcast, Parrish and Norlander both expressed that Florida is not a natural blue blood and will likely slide back to mediocrity post Donovan. We'll see.