PDA

View Full Version : ACC Awards: Okafor POY, Cook 2d Team, Tyus 3d Team

Devilwin
03-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Congrats to Jahlil Okafor for taking ACC POY!

hurleyfor3
03-08-2015, 03:34 PM
http://www.theacc.com/news/acsma-all-acc-basketball-teams-announced-03-08-2015

Okafor and Jerian Grant were unanimous first-team.

I can't find the vote totals for POY.

Rumors that JP Tokoto won this year's "ACC POY when playing Duke" award have not yet been substantiated.

First Team All-ACC
Jahlil Okafor, Fr., Duke (64) 320
Jerian Grant, Sr., Notre Dame (64) 320
Rakeem Christmas, Gr. Syracuse (51) 294
Malcolm Brogdon, Jr., Virginia (53) 293
Olivier Hanlan, Jr., Boston College (29) 246

Second Team All-ACC
Montrezl Harrell, Jr., Louisville (21) 220
Quinn Cook, Sr., Duke (23) 219
Terry Rozier, So., Louisville (2) 154
Trevor Lacey, Jr., NC State (2) 123
Justin Anderson, Jr., Virginia (5) 106

Third Team All-ACC
Marcus Paige, Jr., North Carolina (4) 97
Tyus Jones, Fr., Duke (2) 89
Pat Connaughton, Sr., Notre Dame 45
Anthony Gill, Jr., Virginia 42
Brice Johnson, Jr., North Carolina 40

Honorable Mention
Jamel Artis, So., Pittsburgh 33
Tonye Jekiri, Jr., Miami 32
London Perrantes, So., Virginia 31
Sheldon McClellan, Jr., Miami 31
Justise Winslow, Fr., Duke 29
Xavier Rathan-Mayes, Fr., Florida State 24
Michael Young, So., Pittsburgh 14
Angel Rodriguez, Jr., Miami 13
Codi Miller-McIntyre, Jr., Wake Forest 12
Kennedy Meeks, So.,North Carolina 10

Henderson
03-08-2015, 03:37 PM
Marcus Paige got more votes than Tyus Jones? And Justise is honorable mention? Please.

MulletMan
03-08-2015, 03:37 PM

First Team All-ACC

Second Team All-ACC

Third Team All-ACC

Honorable Mention

Hanlan over Cook is highway robbery, IMHO.

hurleyfor3
03-08-2015, 03:38 PM
Marcus Paige got more votes than Tyus Jones?

Sometimes there's reluctance to give "too many" players from the same school votes for All-ACC.

Duvall
03-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Marcus Paige got more votes than Tyus Jones? And Justise is honorable mention? Please.

It's ACSMA. Strange things happen, ask Joe Forte.

Henderson
03-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Sometimes there's reluctance to give "too many" players from the same school votes for All-ACC.

Exactly the point.

brevity
03-08-2015, 03:42 PM
The Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association (ACSMA) also announced (http://www.theacc.com/news/acsma-2015-all-acc-defensive-team-announced-03-08-2015) the All-ACC Defensive Team.

Rakeem Christmas, Gr., Syracuse, 58
Malcolm Brogdon, Jr., Virginia, 50
Darion Atkins, Sr., Virginia, 38
Tonye Jekiri, Jr., Miami, 38
BeeJay Anya, So., NC State, 29

The words "Defensive Player of the Year" do not appear in the announcement.

ETA: And Jahlil Okafor was unanimously selected to the ACSMA All-ACC Freshman Team, announced here (http://www.theacc.com/news/acsma-2015-all-acc-freshman-team-announced-03-08-2015).

Jahlil Okafor, Duke, 64
Tyus Jones, Duke, 62
Justise Winslow, Duke, 59
Xavier Rathan-Mayes, Florida State, 57
Justin Jackson, North Carolina, 22

hurleyfor3
03-08-2015, 03:44 PM
All-Freshman Team Announced (http://www.theacc.com/news/acsma-2015-all-acc-freshman-team-announced-03-08-2015)

Jahlil Okafor, Duke, *64
Tyus Jones, Duke, 62
*denotes unanimous

gumbomoop
03-08-2015, 03:45 PM

Amen. Paige got 4 first-team votes. Please.

Tyus Jones not unanimous All-Frosh. Please.

vick
03-08-2015, 03:46 PM

Rumors that JP Tokoto won this year's "ACC POY when playing Duke" award have not yet been substantiated.

First Team All-ACC

Second Team All-ACC

Third Team All-ACC

Honorable Mention

I think they did a pretty good job this year, actually. You can always quibble, and I might have moved Harrell onto the first team in place of Hanlan or even Christmas, who has struggled a fair bit since February as Syracuse's schedule became stronger, but there aren't any glaring errors like Fair over Brogdon ('14) or McAdoo over anybody ('13) that we've seen in the past couple of years.

Olympic Fan
03-08-2015, 03:48 PM
Here are the Player of the Year vote totals:

ACC Player of the Year
Jahlil Okafor, Fr., Duke (44)
Jerian Grant, Sr., Notre Dame (14)
Malcolm Brogdon, Jr., Virginia (3)
Rakeem Christmas, Gr., Syracuse (1)
Olivier Hanlan, Jr., Boston College (1)
Montrezl Harrell, Jr., Louisville (1)

First freshman to ever win ACC POY.

-- Two oddities about the vote -- one, Jahlil was the only player nominated for rookie of the year -- hence he got every vote in that category. The other was Atkins finishing third in the all-defensive team vote (behind Christmas and teammate Malcolm Brogdon) yet winning DPOY. That's a function of the new voting system -- you could only vote for the players nominated and Virginia decided to nominate Atkins and not Brogdon. I can guarantee you that if Brogdon was a option, he would have out-polled Atkins (as he did on the all-defensive team).

Two disappointments with the vote -- Hanlan (and Harrell) ahead of Cook, although I understand that vote. What I can't understand are the four idiots who voted Paige first team. That one is not defensible.

hurleyfor3
03-08-2015, 03:53 PM
It's weird having these come out today. I recall when they'd be released during the tournament. Like you'd be at the Saturday games and someone would casually say, "Oh yeah, they gave it to Rodney Monroe, not Laettner, it was in the Observer".

FerryFor50
03-08-2015, 03:57 PM
Not sure how you give Justin Anderson 2nd team since he missed half the ACC season and UVA didn't really miss a beat without him.

Duvall
03-08-2015, 04:01 PM
Not sure how you give Justin Anderson 2nd team since he missed half the ACC season and UVA didn't really miss a beat without him.

They did miss a beat, though - their offensive efficiency cratered without him. It's just that they were that much better than the teams left on their schedule.

CDu
03-08-2015, 04:07 PM

Agreed. I had him second team back in January, but when you miss 8-9 games of an 18-game season, you had better have had an otherwordly half season. And he didn't. But, as others have said, there are always weird results somewhere on the list.

wilko
03-08-2015, 04:10 PM
I cant take these awards seriously...
K has been shafted by the voting for COY years...

Its become; not recognition for a job well done but rather a reward for those "Trying Harder"
Gillen, Hewett and Greenberg all being past recipients that are out of the league...

In past yrs guys doing what they are supposed to do were passed over...

Now Bennett is a fine fine coach and worthy of many accolades. But when did we stop making this the "Reward the snappy upstart team"?

K passed 1k, implemented ZONE, presses, traps and a whole bunch of things this yr to milk the most out of this team..
Old dog new tricks... that kind of thing..

So now we are rewarding the guys who do what we thought they would do...
Gyp.

Cook being left off 1st team is a JOKE. Dude has played his behind off. Hes become a leader in a way I didnt think possible. Very proud of him and happy FOR him. That he was left off 1st team is a SHAM by any voting standard.

I think the sports writers are too concerned with making cute trendy picks than doing their JOBS.
Be a voter and pick the guy you are supposed to pick. Dont assume another voter will make the right choice and out-cute you.

gurufrisbee
03-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Marcus Paige got more votes than Tyus Jones?

How? There were two head to head games - and Tyus was the best player on the floor BOTH times. And the rest of the season fairly reflected that as well.

Henderson
03-08-2015, 04:13 PM

UVa gets all the calls. Might as well get that narrative going before Carolina cranks it up. (j/k)

But realistically: (1) Justin Anderson is and has been too good a player to ignore in these things; and (2) UVa did win the regular season fair and square (even accounting for the unbalanced schedule). Their players have to be recognized. That's the reality. What I really think is this:

I'm left shaking my head at the players named before Winslow and Jones on the primary ballot. Impolitic as it may be, some years you just have to acknowledge that one team has a disproportionate share of the best players.

CDu
03-08-2015, 04:15 PM
I cant take these awards seriously...
K has been shafted by the voting for COY years...

Its become; not recognition for a job well done but rather a reward for those "Trying Harder"
Gillen, Hewett and Greenberg all being past recipients that are out of the league...

In past yrs guys doing what they are supposed to do were passed over...

Now Bennett is a fine fine coach and worthy of many accolades. But when did we stop making this the "Reward the snappy upstart team"?

K passed 1k, implemented ZONE, presses, traps and a whole bunch of things this yr to milk the most out of this team..
Old dog new tricks... that kind of thing..

So now we are rewarding the guys who do what we thought they would do...
Gyp.

Cook being left off 1st team is a JOKE. Dude has played his behind off. Hes become a leader in a way I didnt think possible. Very proud of him and happ FOR him. That he was left off is a SHAM by any voting standard.

I agree with you on everything but Coach of the Year. Bennett earned that. His team exceeded expectations largely because of his coaching brilliance. Duke didn't quite achieve what was expected (still a really good year, but not #1). Bennett deserved it this year.

CDu
03-08-2015, 04:17 PM
UVa gets all the calls. Might as well get that narrative going before Carolina cranks it up. (j/k)

But realistically: (1) Justin Anderson is and has been too good a player to ignore in these things; and (2) UVa did win the regular season fair and square (even accounting for the unbalanced schedule). Their players have to be recognized. That's the reality. What I really think is this:

I'm left shaking my head at the players named before Winslow and Jones on the primary ballot. Impolitic as it may be, some years you just have to acknowledge that one team has a disproportionate share of the best players.

Except that in ACC play, Anderson hasn't been "too good." His numbers in ACC play are worse than Paige's, and he missed half the year.

wilko
03-08-2015, 04:22 PM
I agree with you on everything but Coach of the Year. Bennett earned that. His team exceeded expectations largely because of his coaching brilliance. Duke didn't quite achieve what was expected (still a really good year, but not #1). Bennett deserved it this year.

I'm not saying that Bennett isn't not a really good coach.
Finishing as top seed in the ACC Tourney is powerful stuff..

I'm just saying the standard seems to change and morph for COY in a way that makes it the "Dont give it to K" award... Fine - reward the guys that do what they are supposed to do. If that what you want to do..

UVa was a top 3 pick in preseason right? They didnt come out of no where... they didnt surprise anyone.
If UVa has their typical non-Bennett ACC finish then COY is Gottfried for beating several HOF coaches in 1 season...

Just be consistent with the standard for judging...

mike88
03-08-2015, 04:23 PM

First Team All-ACC

Second Team All-ACC

Third Team All-ACC

Honorable Mention

Well, the voters were pretty much in line with what I posted on Friday:

1st team
okafor (POY)
grant
brogdon (DPOY)
christmas
hanlan

2nd team
rozier
lacey
paige
anderson
cook

3rd team
t jones
winslow
perrantes
harrell
connaughton

After yesterday's games, I was ready to move Quinn up to first team, Harrell to second team, and Anderson to third team (due to missed games). Maybe Jekiri over Perrantes? Brice Johnson deserves recognition, I guess, but I just don't see him as a complete player. I have no idea who could have voted for Meeks.

CDu
03-08-2015, 04:25 PM
I'm not saying that Bennett isn't not a really good coach.
Finishing as top seed in the ACC Tourney is powerful stuff..

I'm just saying the standard seems to change and morph for COY in a way that makes it the "Dont give it to K" award... Fine - reward the guys that do what they are supposed to do. If that what you want to do..

UVa was a top 3 pick in preseason right? They didnt come out of no where... they didnt surprise anyone.
If UVa has their typical non-Bennett ACC finish then COY is Gottfried for beating several HOF coaches in 1 season...

Just be consistent with the standard for judging...

In any sense, Bennett is more deserving than Coach K this year. His team was expected to finish 3rd or 4th; they finished 1st. Duke was expected to finish first; they finished second. And he did it with less talent than Duke has. I am just not sure by what measure we are supposed to honestly give it to Coach K over Bennett this year.

Henderson
03-08-2015, 04:35 PM
In any sense, Bennett is more deserving than Coach K this year. His team was expected to finish 3rd or 4th; they finished 1st. Duke was expected to finish first; they finished second. And he did it with less talent than Duke has. I am just not sure by what measure we are supposed to honestly give it to Coach K over Bennett this year.

Yes. Bennett. Not even close.

CDu
03-08-2015, 04:39 PM
Yes. Bennett. Not even close.

And if anything I'd vote Brey 2nd.

wilko
03-08-2015, 04:40 PM

3rd or 4th.... not, say 7th..
Not a huge surprise in my mind nor the definition of "upstart, scrappy up-and-comer" by any sense.
Bennett is rewarded for being good as expected. FINE. Just be consistent in the selection process.
I don't feel that it is consistent.

If you think I'm SPECIFICALLY saying K deserved it this yr.
I'm not being clear or you are missing my point or both..

In yrs past when Gillen, Greenberg and Hewett captured the reward were they rewarded for being the trendy up-start not because they met expectations. If those cats were truly COY material they'd still be coaching in the league.

Why THIS yr is the leap from 4th to 1st more significant and worthy of recognition than say the leap from 15th to 10th on preseason selections or some such.

CDu
03-08-2015, 04:47 PM
The
Not a huge surprise in my mind nor the definition of "upstart, scrappy up-and-comer" by any sense.
Bennett is rewarded for being good as expected. FINE. Just be consistent in the selection process.

In yrs past when Gillen, Greenberg and Hewett captured the reward were they rewarded for being the trendy up-start not because they met expectations. If those cats were truly COY material they'd still be coaching in the league.

Why THIS yr is the leap from 4th to 1st more significant and worthy of recognition than say the leap from 15th to 10th on preseason selections or some such.

You are putting your own narrative on the vote. The award has usually gone to the coach whose team most exceeded expectations. I believe THAT is why Gillen, Greenberg, and Hewitt won. It is not the award for the best coach. It is the award for the coach who had the best year. No reason a less impressive coach can't win it. Just like there is no reason a player other than LeBron James can't win MVP. It is a subjective award. To expect some standard and consistent criteria is silly.

vick
03-08-2015, 04:48 PM
How? There were two head to head games - and Tyus was the best player on the floor BOTH times. And the rest of the season fairly reflected that as well.

I would be the first to tell you that Paige was overrated last year, but I think people are underselling him this year (although the four idiots who voted him first team should have their ballots taken away). In conference play, he's been a more efficient scorer than Jones (47.8% eFG% for Jones, 56.3% for Paige) while taking a higher percentage of the team's shots (20% for Paige, 18% for Jones). Jones was a little better distributor, with one more assist per game and a better assist-TO ratio though. Neither strikes me as a standout defender, really. It's close enough that reasonable people could pick Jones, but you're fooling yourself if you believe he was that much better than Paige over the course of the season, which is how these things are (correctly) evaluated. Angel Rodriguez was the best player on the floor against Duke, but that's not how you decide.

wilko
03-08-2015, 04:52 PM
It is a subjective award. To expect some standard and consistent criteria is silly.

Bah humbug!

lotusland
03-08-2015, 04:54 PM
When I saw the thread title my first thought was that Cook should be a no brainer for 1st team and Winslow should have made 2nd or 3rd team. I still think I'd vote Cook over Hanlan but I might vote for Harrel over Cook. Looking at the list made me appreciate how much talent the expanded ACC has.

brevity
03-08-2015, 04:59 PM
For purposes of Coach of the Year talk and the residual Marcus Paige grumbling, I'll remind you all of ACSMA's preseason selections (http://www.theacc.com/news/operation-basketball-media-selects-201415-preseason-poll-and-awards-2014-10-29). Marcus Paige gets postseason votes because voters, on some level, like to believe their predictive power is right.

2014-15 Preseason All-ACC Team (votes in parenthesis)

Marcus Paige, North Carolina (63)
Montrezl Harrell, Louisville (58)
Jahlil Okafor, Duke (57)
Malcolm Brogdon, Virginia (55)
Jerian Grant, Notre Dame (24)

ACC Preseason Player of the Year: Marcus Paige, North Carolina

ACC Preseason Rookie of the Year: Jahlil Okafor, Duke

Now compare the preseason ACC rankings with their actual postseason finish.

ACC Operation Basketball 2014-15 Preseason Poll (First-place votes in parenthesis; the number in front is their actual postseason finish, including Syracuse)

Team & Points
2. Duke (41): 935
5. North Carolina (12): 870
4. Louisville (3): 847
1. Virginia (7): 824
8. Syracuse (2): 706
11. Pitt: 592
3. Notre Dame: 515
10. Florida State: 506
7. NC State: 478
6. Miami: 442
9. Clemson: 330
12. Wake Forest: 221
14. Georgia Tech: 195
13. Boston College: 184
15. Virginia Tech: 155

Duvall
03-08-2015, 05:04 PM
The

You are putting your own narrative on the vote. The award has usually gone to the coach whose team most exceeded expectations. I believe THAT is why Gillen, Greenberg, and Hewitt won. It is not the award for the best coach. It is the award for the coach who had the best year. No reason a less impressive coach can't win it. Just like there is no reason a player other than LeBron James can't win MVP. It is a subjective award. To expect some standard and consistent criteria is silly.

Okay, but that's an argument for getting rid of the award, not using the silliest criteria available. What other award is given based on how badly the voters underestimated the recipient before the season?

CDu
03-08-2015, 05:07 PM
Okay, but that's an argument for getting rid of the award, not using the silliest criteria available. What other award is given based on how badly the voters underestimated the recipient before the season?

What would you consider a better criterion for coach of the year? And if you say "team with the best record", then why even have the award as it would be equivalent to the regular season champ.

The a award is in many ways necessarily subjective because it is really hard to objectively measure coaching.

DBFAN
03-08-2015, 05:20 PM
Seems to me that COY was decided long ago when everybody figured that UVA would beat us by 2 games with an unbalanced schedule. But things change like UVA losing and Duke winning 11 straight or whatever it was, including going in to the COY place and out coaching him with a simple 3-2 zone that Bennett did not have his team prepared for.

As for Cook I just can't explain that. I mean Tyus had some not so amazing games but Cooks numbers don't lie. And the fact they he has improved in every aspect of the game, hit huge shots all season, just makes me cringe that the senior captain got over looked

Edouble
03-08-2015, 05:34 PM

Hewett put together a dynamite team and played for the national championship. Even Bob Knight slipped down a notch in the end. Doesn't mean he's not a Hall of Famer.

sagegrouse
03-08-2015, 05:41 PM

Just to put Coach of the Year selection in perspective, consider this: Coach K has six national coach of the Year awards: three from Naismith, two from Basketball Times and one from NABC. They are for six different years! None of the awards overlapped: BT -- 1986, 1997; Naismith -- 1989, 1992, 1999; NABC -- 1991.

For the record, Coach is five-time ACC COY -- 1984, 1986, 1997, 1999, 2000. For the record, here is the presumed rationale for each award:

1984 -- Coach K's first good team; Dawkins and Alarie and co. were sophs.

1986 -- Team ranked number one AP.

1997 -- A surprise regular season champion, finishing ahead of Tim Duncan's Wake team.

1999 -- A juggernaut Duke team swamped the ACC competition, 16-0.

2000 -- A rebuilt Blue Devil team went 15-1, after losing Brand, Avery, Burgess and Maggette.

weezie
03-08-2015, 05:45 PM
Amen. Paige got 4 first-team votes. Please.

Tyus Jones not unanimous All-Frosh. Please.

I agree. Simpering, petty jealousy. :(

jimsumner
03-08-2015, 05:46 PM
There are some things to quibble about. I had Cook on first team over Hanlan and didn't vote for Anderson, who, IMO, just missed too many games.

And I also would have voted for Brogdon as DPOY had that option been available.

But Bennett got my vote for COY and I didn't think twice about it. He lost two of his three best players from last season, didn't bring in a single impact freshman, lost his best player to injury in mid-season and still coached his team to first place. Yes, Duke had a tougher schedule and yes, K has been undervalued in the past. But not this year. Bennett doesn't have a single top-30 recruit in his program and his team has been a mainstay in the top five and looks like a No. 1 seed in the NCAAs. That's National Coach of the Year stuff.

As an aside, how can Ty Jones and Winslow and for that matter Rathan-Mayes not be unanimous All-Freshman? It's not like you could make a credible case for Donte Grantham or Caleb Martin over them. There were four no-brainers for that five-person team and evidently a few voters are shy a brain.

gumbomoop
03-08-2015, 05:57 PM
... how can Ty Jones and Winslow and for that matter Rathan-Mayes not be unanimous All-Freshman? It's not like you could make a credible case for Donte Grantham or Caleb Martin. There were four no-brainers for that five-person team and evidently a few voters are shy a brain.

I suspect Heel heelery. Best bet is ethically challenged enrollees/auditors in multiple courses "taught" by Jan Boxill.

pfrduke
03-08-2015, 05:59 PM
All-Freshman Team Announced (http://www.theacc.com/news/acsma-2015-all-acc-freshman-team-announced-03-08-2015)

Jahlil Okafor, Duke, *64
Tyus Jones, Duke, 62
*denotes unanimous

So which two voters thought there were 5 better freshmen than Tyus Jones this season?

Bob Green
03-08-2015, 06:05 PM
I'm really happy Okafor won POY. He deserves the award. Opposing teams have to pay massive attention to him, which opens things up for the other four Blue Devils on the court.

Dukehky
03-08-2015, 06:06 PM
I'm good with Brogdon on the first team. He is the best defensive player on the best team, and the most important player on the best team (record wise) in the conference. That merits being 1st team All-ACC.

Olivier Hanlan is Erik Greene over Mason for player of the year all over again. I guarantee you that Quinn could score 19 a game playing for a moribund BC team. That is absolute garbage. You should not be able to be on the first team if you can't get your team a .33 winning percentage in the conference. If you're good, then great, be on the 2nd team. But you can't be THAT good if your team can't get 5 wins in the league. Quinn absolutely deserved to be on the first team, and there are some people arguing that he deserves consideration for First Team AA (not many, but it's out there). Hanlan averaged 19 points on a bad team, Quinn averaged 16 on a great team. GTFOH.

K will never win coach of the year again. We should just get used to it. I thought he was masterful this year. Bennett is a great system coach and he is great at implementing and getting kids to buy into that system. But look at the players he has this year. Brogdon and Perrantes are soooooo good, as was Anderson before he got hurt, not to mention their supporting cast who are all good players like Gill and Tobey, and they're scoring 24 in halfs? UVA is better than their offensive system allows them to be. IMO, this year, Bennett's system is holding them back offensively. I think it may have been SeattleHoo who has seconded that opinion. Defensively, they're really really solid, but they take advantage of teams that can't shoot (all of the ACC) except Duke, VT (cough), and Notre Dame, both of whom pushed UVA, one of whom beat UVA. Bennett will always have good teams who will compete, and in cycles of years where they have majority of upper classmen, they'll have great teams, but unless he goes Bo Ryan for 2015 Wiscy and unleashes the offense a little more, I think it's going to be tough to consistently beat great teams (of which UVA has not had to play yet) arguably Duke this year.

K deserved to win this year. Huge winning streak along with per/game changes to entire defensive schemes. Coaching around Okafor injuries as well as keeping our 8 guys fresh enough to be peaking at the right time. He deserved first place, but its a joke that he got 3rd.

Paige getting first team votes is hilarious.

Duvall
03-08-2015, 06:53 PM
So which two voters thought there were 5 better freshmen than Tyus Jones this season?

Just a guess, but there might be some overlap with the four voters that thought Marcus Paige was one of the top five players in the league.

Duvall
03-08-2015, 07:10 PM
What would you consider a better criterion for coach of the year? And if you say "team with the best record", then why even have the award as it would be equivalent to the regular season champ.

The a award is in many ways necessarily subjective because it is really hard to objectively measure coaching.

I'm not against getting rid of the award - the regular season title should be reward enough. But it seems like there are some factors that you can look at that are only somewhat subjective, like improvement over the previous season, amount of players a team had to replace from the year before, and the team's body of work. Again, not entirely objective, but that has to be better than just giving the trophy to the coach the media underestimated most before the season.

Dev11
03-08-2015, 07:18 PM
K will never win coach of the year again. We should just get used to it. I thought he was masterful this year. Bennett is a great system coach and he is great at implementing and getting kids to buy into that system. But look at the players he has this year. Brogdon and Perrantes are soooooo good, as was Anderson before he got hurt, not to mention their supporting cast who are all good players like Gill and Tobey, and they're scoring 24 in halfs? UVA is better than their offensive system allows them to be. IMO, this year, Bennett's system is holding them back offensively. I think it may have been SeattleHoo who has seconded that opinion. Defensively, they're really really solid, but they take advantage of teams that can't shoot (all of the ACC) except Duke, VT (cough), and Notre Dame, both of whom pushed UVA, one of whom beat UVA. Bennett will always have good teams who will compete, and in cycles of years where they have majority of upper classmen, they'll have great teams, but unless he goes Bo Ryan for 2015 Wiscy and unleashes the offense a little more, I think it's going to be tough to consistently beat great teams (of which UVA has not had to play yet) arguably Duke this year.

K deserved to win this year. Huge winning streak along with per/game changes to entire defensive schemes. Coaching around Okafor injuries as well as keeping our 8 guys fresh enough to be peaking at the right time. He deserved first place, but its a joke that he got 3rd.

In a year like this one, Duke would have to go undefeated in conference for Coach K to win COY. It could certainly happen again before he retires, but it's tough when the expectations are as high as they are. This might lead to a different discussion, that being why doesn't recruiting success factor into COY?

UVA's offense has been one of the most efficient in the country all season. Bennett did an outstanding job this year. They only lost once at home, and their two losses were to teams who also earned double byes in the ACC tournament. Even when one of their best players went down, they kept winning. Even through all the adjustments K made this season, Duke still got creamed at home by a Miami team that isn't going to make the tournament.

tallguy
03-08-2015, 07:27 PM
I'm good with Brogdon on the first team. He is the best defensive player on the best team, and the most important player on the best team (record wise) in the conference. That merits being 1st team All-ACC.

Olivier Hanlan is Erik Greene over Mason for player of the year all over again. I guarantee you that Quinn could score 19 a game playing for a moribund BC team. That is absolute garbage. You should not be able to be on the first team if you can't get your team a .33 winning percentage in the conference. If you're good, then great, be on the 2nd team. But you can't be THAT good if your team can't get 5 wins in the league. Quinn absolutely deserved to be on the first team, and there are some people arguing that he deserves consideration for First Team AA (not many, but it's out there). Hanlan averaged 19 points on a bad team, Quinn averaged 16 on a great team. GTFOH.

Hanlan actually averaged 21.9/game in ACC play only. Also, in ACC play only, Hanlan shot better from the floor (.483 vs .442) AND from behind the arc (.436 vs .398). That's pretty damn impressive, considering that Hanlan certainly didn't get as many open looks as Quinn.

dukelifer
03-08-2015, 08:09 PM
When I saw the thread title my first thought was that Cook should be a no brainer for 1st team and Winslow should have made 2nd or 3rd team. I still think I'd vote Cook over Hanlan but I might vote for Harrel over Cook. Looking at the list made me appreciate how much talent the expanded ACC has.
Given that Duke only plays a few teams twice now- I really do not have a great sense of the full talent of the ACC. Cook had a great year- one could make a strong case but because there are a lot of players now in ACC and the schedules are not balanced - it might make sense to increase the size of the first "team" as I believe they have done for the Women.

barjwr
03-08-2015, 08:10 PM
Frankly, K may deserve ACC COY for making one of the most difficult decisions of his career and having it result in improving the team greatly: the dismissal of Sulaimon. Xs and Os pale in comparison to that coaching move.

InSpades
03-08-2015, 08:59 PM
These awards always baffle me but not a big deal... glad to see our guys recognized. Especially Jah w/ the PotY, that's a big one.

All that being said... I don't know if I would trade Tyus Jones for anyone ahead of him. You could argue that if you only looked at big games that he's the MVP of this team. He's my favorite Duke playing since Singler and I don't know if I have a more favorite Duke player than Singler. Maybe JJ, maybe Shane, maybe Jayson Williams. (note: I wasn't a Duke fan until after Grant left).

Olympic Fan
03-08-2015, 09:57 PM
Keep in mind that there is a second All-ACC team these days ... picked by the coaches.

The writers' team is the traditional one -- the coaches have only been picking since 2013.

But it does offer a second chance for Duke's guys to get more recognition. In 2013, the writers picked Seth Curry second team, but the coaches put him on first team. Hope they'll make the same correction with Quinn (and put Tyus on the second team and Justise on the third).

Not that I'm saying one team is better than the other -- just that I'll always refer to the one that most honors our guys.

I THINK the coaches team is released Monday.

ChillinDuke
03-08-2015, 10:38 PM
Hanlan actually averaged 21.9/game in ACC play only. Also, in ACC play only, Hanlan shot better from the floor (.483 vs .442) AND from behind the arc (.436 vs .398). That's pretty damn impressive, considering that Hanlan certainly didn't get as many open looks as Quinn.

Yeah, I agree.

Quinn Cook had an excellent year. And he's probably undervalued in terms of media coverage / talking head air time. But the knocks on Hanlan as a 1st Teamer aren't fair. The dude had a great season. He led our league in scoring, comfortably. For one of the same reasons we tout Okafor as an incredible player - namely, his ability to produce despite the other team focusing on him foremost - Hanlan is owed the same credit. Hanlan had great production in rebounds (for a guard), assists, and steals too.

Credit where credit's due - to Hanlan as well as Cook. With 15 teams it's just that much harder to get on a 1st Team. I'm not sure that Quinn was a top-5 player in our league, and that may not even really be the criteria to get on 1st Team in the first place. And I'm not sure Hanlan is top-5 in the league either, so either one's inclusion or exclusion was not really wrong, IMO.

Heck, there are moments where I'm not even sure that Quinn is top 3 on his own team - I'm sure others can relate to that feeling at times. So, is it really that remarkable that voters landed him on the 2nd Team (and not far off from 1st either)?

Gun to my head, I'd probably rank Hanlan in front of Quinn.

- Chillin

Duvall
03-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Okafor selected as ACC Player and Freshman of the Year by ACC "coaches." (http://www.theacc.com/news/dukes-jahlil-okafor-coaches-choice-as-acc-player-freshman-of-the-year-03-09-2015) (Not Rookie?)

Their All-ACC teams are pretty similar, aside from the hilarious inclusion of Marcus Paige on the 2nd team. (http://www.theacc.com/news/accmbb-coaches-name-2015-all-acc-team-03-09-2015)

First Team All-ACC
Olivier Hanlan, Jr., Boston College
Jahlil Okafor, Fr., Duke
Jerian Grant, Sr., Notre Dame
Rakeem Christmas, Gr. Syracuse
Malcolm Brogdon, Jr., Virginia

Second Team All-ACC
Quinn Cook, Sr., Duke
Montrezl Harrell, Jr., Louisville
Terry Rozier, So., Louisville
Marcus Paige, Jr., North Carolina
Justin Anderson, Jr., Virginia

Third Team All-ACC
Tyus Jones, Fr., Duke
Brice Johnson, Jr., North Carolina
Trevor Lacey, Jr., NC State
Pat Connaughton, Sr., Notre Dame
Jamel Artis, So., Pitt

Edouble
03-09-2015, 05:50 PM
Paige on the second team?

So, apparently Roy was able to cash in all of his unused timeouts for extra voting vouchers.

KandG
03-10-2015, 12:18 AM
Bennett got my vote for COY and I didn't think twice about it. He lost two of his three best players from last season, didn't bring in a single impact freshman, lost his best player to injury in mid-season and still coached his team to first place. Yes, Duke had a tougher schedule and yes, K has been undervalued in the past. But not this year. Bennett doesn't have a single top-30 recruit in his program and his team has been a mainstay in the top five and looks like a No. 1 seed in the NCAAs. That's National Coach of the Year stuff.

So much this. I think this has been one of K's best years in terms of working with young talent, dealing with roster depletion, and showing a degree of flexibility in coaching tactics that we haven't seen in a while. He definitely has the team on a great roll. But Bennett as Coach of the Year for Virginia's regular season performance seems pretty iron-clad to me.

BobBender
03-10-2015, 08:37 AM
Frankly, K may deserve ACC COY for making one of the most difficult decisions of his career and having it result in improving the team greatly: the dismissal of Sulaimon. Xs and Os pale in comparison to that coaching move.

Huh? He was going to keep Sulaimon on the team knowing what was coming out? I'd opine that was not a difficult decision. There was no other option.

toooskies
03-10-2015, 09:44 AM
Just a guess, but there might be some overlap with the four voters that thought Marcus Paige was one of the top five players in the league.

Some sportswriters, instead of selecting the 5 best players, choose the best PG, the best SG, the best SF, the best PF, and the best C. That's not how we think of Duke Basketball (and how Justise Winslow, a probable NBA SG when his career moves on, plays the 4 for us), but plenty of traditionalists do. And if you go by PPG, Xavier Rathan-Mayes plays the PG for FSU. I can see either an FSU loyalist or a particular Duke hater justifying not voting for Tyus in that fashion.

They're wrong, of course. But that's how they'd justify it.

That's also how you justify pushing Quinn to the second team, since voters wouldn't necessarily put 4 guards on the first team and you need Grant, a UVA guy, and the league's top scorer on the first team.

mcdukie
03-10-2015, 10:49 AM
I'm as big a Duke fan as anybody else but I have no problem with Bennett winning COY. K is the best but Bennett did a great job this year. I do agree that it will be hard for K to ever win COY again. The expectations for him are so much different than anyone else.

Duvall
03-10-2015, 11:35 AM
So much this. I think this has been one of K's best years in terms of working with young talent, dealing with roster depletion, and showing a degree of flexibility in coaching tactics that we haven't seen in a while. He definitely has the team on a great roll. But Bennett as Coach of the Year for Virginia's regular season performance seems pretty iron-clad to me.

I'm never going to complain about the coach of the team with the best regular season record winning Coach of the Year - at least it wasn't a Seth Greenberg situation. But I think there's a case to be made that the coach that had to replace 60% of its scoring and 50% of the minutes from his 2014 team, and ended up putting together probably the second-best body of work in the country, did the best coaching job this year. Better, I think, than the coach that only had to replace 29% of scoring and minutes from a top-five team.

CDu
03-10-2015, 12:26 PM
I'm never going to complain about the coach of the team with the best regular season record winning Coach of the Year - at least it wasn't a Seth Greenberg situation. But I think there's a case to be made that the coach that had to replace 60% of its scoring and 50% of the minutes from his 2014 team, and ended up putting together probably the second-best body of work in the country, did the best coaching job this year. Better, I think, than the coach that only had to replace 29% of scoring and minutes from a top-five team.

I would argue that to have lost your team's best interior defender (Mitchell), your team's best perimeter player on both ends (Harris) is pretty comparable to losing your two best offensive players and three reserves. Especially when you consider that Bennett also lost his best player this year for half of the ACC season (which is offset only partially by Duke losing a reserve in Sulaimon).

Both teams had huge losses to overcome, and to look only at scoring is to do a big disservice to the role that defense plays in Bennett's system.

But, obviously, this is a subjective discussion. Both coaches did a great job this year. One can certainly think that Coach K did a better job than Bennett (it's easier to argue that when you factor recruiting into the coaching equation). It's clearly the minority view. One can certainly think that Bennett did the better job (it's easier to argue that when you say that, due to recruiting disadvantages inherent in being at a less prestigious program, Bennett had less talent to work with). That's clearly the majority view.

kAzE
03-10-2015, 01:40 PM
Friendly wager: If Jefferson is a higher All-ACC than Sulaimon, I will change my profile pic to whatever you want for 6 months. If Sulaimon is a higher All-ACC than Jefferson, you change your profile pic to the Celtics logo for 6 months. Deal?

Deal. If I win, you have to change your pic to a head shot of Justin Bieber.

So, Amile didn't make All-ACC . . . but do I win this bet by default?

Henderson
03-10-2015, 01:47 PM

I say call it a push and double down on the stakes for the next one.:D

Duvall
03-10-2015, 01:48 PM

Jefferson's All-ACC Academic Team honors (http://www.theacc.com/news/2015-all-acc-academic-mens-basketball-team-announced-03-05-2015) should be a sufficient tie-breaker.

Edouble
03-10-2015, 05:49 PM
Huh? He was going to keep Sulaimon on the team knowing what was coming out? I'd opine that was not a difficult decision. There was no other option.

You think Coach K knew when he dismissed Rasheed that an article based on double hearsay was coming out in the Chronicle in a month? I hope that Coach K doesn't make personnel decisions based on the public's potential reaction to shoddy "journalism".

sagegrouse
03-10-2015, 06:05 PM
I'm as big a Duke fan as anybody else but I have no problem with Bennett winning COY. K is the best but Bennett did a great job this year. I do agree that it will be hard for K to ever win COY again. The expectations for him are so much different than anyone else.

Coach K has been six-time National Coach of the Year and five-time ACC COY. He has coached two USA Olympic teams to gold medals and won two gold medals as coach of Team USA in the FIBA Worlds. He is acknowledged as one of the greatest basketball coaches of all time.

Voters are not gonna go out of their way to give K another honor -- it seems, well, beside the point.

ChillinDuke
03-10-2015, 06:32 PM

I've been wondering how this arrangement would resurface for many weeks now.

- Chillin

Edouble
03-10-2015, 06:37 PM
Coach K has been six-time National Coach of the Year and five-time ACC COY. He has coached two USA Olympic teams to gold medals and won two gold medals as coach of Team USA in the FIBA Worlds. He is acknowledged as one of the greatest basketball coaches of all time.

Past accomplishments should have nothing to do with recognizing current accomplishments.

Voters are not gonna go out of their way to give K another honor -- it seems, well, beside the point.

If voters go out of their way for anyone, they should not be voting.

sagegrouse
03-10-2015, 08:11 PM
Past accomplishments should have nothing to do with recognizing current accomplishments.

If voters go out of their way for anyone, they should not be voting.

Ah, yes. The world "as it should be" versus the world "as it is." K hasn't won an ACC COY in 15 years despite four regular season championships, eight ACC championships and two National Championships (although the latter two types of accomplishments occur after the voting for COY).

The voters can do whatever they want.

Tripping William
03-10-2015, 08:23 PM
Ah, yes. The world "as it should be" versus the world "as it is." K hasn't won an ACC COY in 15 years despite four regular season championships, eight ACC championships and two National Championships (although the latter two types of accomplishments occur after the voting for COY).

There are an additional 1,011 exhibits in further support of your position.

Edouble
03-10-2015, 09:27 PM

As it is, I hope that voters are voting for whom they find most deserving of the recognition. I would like to believe that they are. I believe that "as it should be" and "as it is" (which BTW, neither of us said when you started quoting these phrases) are the same in this instance.

I disagree with your suggestion that voters may have some other agenda. We may not agree on their criteria for winning COY, but I don't think the voters would purposely withhold votes from Coach K.

turnandburn55
03-10-2015, 09:35 PM
As it is, I hope that voters are voting for whom they find most deserving of the recognition. I would like to believe that they are. I believe that "as it should be" and "as it is" (which BTW, neither of us said when you started quoting these phrases) are the same in this instance.

I disagree with your suggestion that voters may have some other agenda. We may not agree on their criteria for winning COY, but I don't think the voters would purposely withhold votes from Coach K.

Votes are a zero-sum game. It's not so much withholding it from him as weighing giving it to him versus another coach for whom, consciously or subconciously, they hold an entirely lower set of expectations.

Edouble
03-11-2015, 12:54 AM
Votes are a zero-sum game. It's not so much withholding it from him as weighing giving it to him versus another coach for whom, consciously or subconciously, they hold an entirely lower set of expectations.

That's what I just said. I don't think they're withholding votes from him. Their criteria, as discussed upthread, rewards the up and comer or the surprise team.

jv001
03-11-2015, 07:15 AM
That's what I just said. I don't think they're withholding votes from him. Their criteria, as discussed upthread, rewards the up and comer or the surprise team.

I'll take Championships over Coach of the year awards any day. But I do agree with Sage that voters probably shy away from giving K many awards. GoDuke!

PackMan97
03-11-2015, 02:53 PM

There are expectations and then there is far more competition. With 16 coaches in the ACC, three others of which are hall of fame coaches with 700+ wins and I'm not even talking about Bennett who is on his way to the hall of fame if he keeps it up or guys like Gottfried who look to be building a program that just begs for a breakout season. The days of the ACC being a pushover in the coaching ranks is thankfully gone.

I mean, did anyone honestly think that Sendek, Lowe, Bzdelik, Donahue, Johnson and many others would ever win a ACC COY award over Coach K, Roy "Cheater" Williams, Pitino or that cheater at Syracuse? Not to mention with better coaches means K is going to lose more games. While Gottfried isn't (yet) a threat to win COY, he does have a knack for getting his team to play against Duke. Everyone knows folks give Duke their best shot...

ScreechTDX1847
03-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Generally speaking, the ACC all-team awards have been a joke for years. Most of these writers clearly don't watch the games and I firmly believe that a large number of them look at a stat sheet while making their picks whilst reminiscing over the hot sports takes on the ACC over the last 3-4 months.

How else could you defend some of these picks? Also, clearly there isn't a premium put on your team actually winning games - that is a complete NON-factor. Re: coach of the year - I hard Laura Keely om 99.9 a couple weeks ago say she would choose Bennett for COY regardless of the way the schedule turned out for Duke. She admitted Duke had a much harder schedule and even 3 losses would be better than a 1 loss UVA team but wouldn't change her vote anyway.

superdave
03-11-2015, 04:34 PM

Yeah, but has he finished 6th when he was projected to finish 11th? That's where the COY juice is.

kAzE
03-12-2015, 02:49 PM
Jefferson's All-ACC Academic Team honors (http://www.theacc.com/news/2015-all-acc-academic-mens-basketball-team-announced-03-05-2015) should be a sufficient tie-breaker.

Wow, Duke had 5 of the 22 players on that list: Grayson Allen, Amile Jefferson, Tyus Jones, Justise Winslow, and Marshall Plumlee. Way to go!

flyingdutchdevil
03-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Wow, Duke had 5 of the 22 players on that list: Grayson Allen, Amile Jefferson, Tyus Jones, Justise Winslow, and Marshall Plumlee. Way to go!

Kaze - although neither Jefferson nor Sulaimon was All-ACC, I will give you this one. I am really glad to see Jefferson as Academic All-ACC, and if Justin Bieber continues to bring Academic All-ACCs, sign me up!

Start date - March 12, 2015. End date - September 12, 2015.

flyingdutchdevil
03-12-2015, 03:14 PM
Kaze - although neither Jefferson nor Sulaimon was All-ACC, I will give you this one. I am really glad to see Jefferson as Academic All-ACC, and if Justin Bieber continues to bring Academic All-ACCs, sign me up!

Start date - March 12, 2015. End date - September 12, 2015.

BACKGROUND: Loser of a bet between Kaze and myself had to change their profile pic to the Biebster for six months. Please don't hold it against me.

Dev11
03-12-2015, 03:30 PM
BACKGROUND: Loser of a bet between Kaze and myself had to change their profile pic to the Biebster for six months. Please don't hold it against me.

The worst part of this is that you normally have a really solid avatar. We lost a fine one today.

flyingdutchdevil
03-12-2015, 03:46 PM
The worst part of this is that you normally have a really solid avatar. We lost a fine one today.

That's why I chose a sad looking Bieber. Reflects the way I feel right now...

94duke
03-12-2015, 03:49 PM

It looks like he's saying, "Whachu talkin' about, Willis." ;)

pfrduke
03-12-2015, 08:56 PM

If I have a vote, I vote for rotating Biebers throughout the six months.

Troublemaker
03-12-2015, 09:09 PM
They should vote on this stuff after the ACC tournament.

OldPhiKap
03-12-2015, 09:13 PM

This is why you can't have nice things.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2015, 07:03 AM
It is a travesty that MP3 didn't garner more accolades this year!

Just use it for fuel for 2016, big guy!

(Srsly tho, what a great game for Marshall last night... really showed some moxie)