PDA

View Full Version : Toughness

TKG
03-08-2015, 03:21 PM
I have been wracking my brain- granted, doesn't take long - trying to recall if we have ever had a team as tough as this group. This Blue Devil team is not only mentally tough (see the number of road wins and the number of deficits this team has overcome in the second half of games ) but seems to be developing physical toughness as well. During the halftime interview Coach Capel made reference to the physical nature of the game and how Duke to needed to match that physicality. We have five underclassmen in our eight man rotation. What they have accomplished thus far is impressive.

The 1991-1992 teams were tough; this was especially true during the 1992 season on their way to the repeat (see K books A Season Is A Lifetime as to what is was like for this team at every road game). The 1998 team had a little nasty with Brand and Maggette - even Sports Illustrated ran a cover story on the team was different from previous Duke teams. I think SI referred to Duke's reputation preppy in the article. But that squad was so talented they just overwhelmed opponents athletically.

Duke has had tough players over the years. But I am not sure we have ever had a team - other than the '92 squad- that is a tough (physically and emotionally) as this current group. Given their collective youth, this is striking to me.

jdk
03-08-2015, 03:26 PM
The 1991-1992 teams were tough; this was especially true during the 1992 season on their way to the repeat (see K books A Season Is A Lifetime as to what is was like for this team at every road game). The 1998 team had a little nasty with Brand and Maggette - even Sports Illustrated ran a cover story on the team was different from previous Duke teams. I think SI referred to Duke's reputation preppy in the article. But that squad was so talented they just overwhelmed opponents athletically.

http://i.ebayimg.com/22/!BvC9q8!EGk~$%28KGrHqV,!iUEv1+0E6H9BMC9rZQCP!~~_35 .JPG

stillcrazie
03-08-2015, 03:29 PM
I have been wracking my brain- granted, doesn't take long - trying to recall if we have ever had a team as tough as this group. This Blue Devil team is not only mentally tough (see the number of road wins and the number of deficits this team has overcome in the second half of games ) but seems to be developing physical toughness as well. During the halftime interview Coach Capel made reference to the physical nature of the game and how Duke to needed to match that physicality. We have five underclassmen in our eight man rotation. What they have accomplished thus far is impressive.

Duke has had tough players over the years. But I am not sure we have ever had a team - other than the '92 squad- that is a tough (physically and emotionally) as this current group. Given their collective youth, this is striking to me.

Maybe the 2010 team? Scheyer, Singler, Smith, Thomas, Zoubek were pretty tough, albeit "alarmingly unathletic." They endured disappointing seasons and multiple losses to UNC in Cameron before finally getting redemption. They had to deal with some tough teams in the tournament: Baylor and UVW come to mind.

Jim3k
03-08-2015, 05:04 PM
No substitutions (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19611218) December 18, 1961.

This team was short-handed and Bubas had no one else. I've thought it was food poisoning, but Sumner and Oly have different recollections. Whatever. This team played tough.