PDA

View Full Version : Other Conferences' Tournaments. Bobby and Tommy are IN!

OldPhiKap
03-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Cliff Ellis coaching Coastal Carolina, beating Winthrop with 2:03 to go.

I love this time of year. Life and death for many schools, high quality ball across the country.

brevity
03-08-2015, 02:34 PM
Thank you for starting this thread. It serves a secondary purpose of bubble watching, especially when surprise teams grab automatic bids and chip away at the at-large pool.

Speaking of, the Missouri Valley final is on right now (CBS). Illinois State beat #8 ranked Wichita State yesterday, and leads #11 ranked Northern Iowa 21-8 with 10:26 left in the first half.

Bob Green
03-08-2015, 02:55 PM
I love this time of year. Life and death for many schools, high quality ball across the country.

I agree with you 100 percent; however, the arrival of March Madness is bittersweet. Basketball will be over in a month. Illinois State is whooping #11 Northern Iowa in the Missouri Valley Conference Championship game. The Redbirds beat #8 Wichita State yesterday.

Tom B.
03-08-2015, 03:10 PM
OK, I know it's technically not a conference "tournament," but could the Ivy League be any more bananas right now? Yale has their destiny in their own hands, then Dartmouth pulls off an insane upset, so now it's Harvard vs. Yale in a one-game playoff next Saturday at the Palestra for the conference title and its automatic NCAA bid. Suddenly, the Ivy League is appointment TV.

Assuming it's an afternoon game, that won't be a bad undercard to the ACC Championship.

gurufrisbee
03-08-2015, 03:16 PM
I love all the small conference tournaments and teams fighting for automatic bids. Great times. Although, slightly frustrating because that also opens some upsets that ends up costing bubble spots for more deserving ACC bubble teams. Yes, looking at you Belmont. And it looks like Illinois St.

Tom B.
03-08-2015, 04:01 PM
I love all the small conference tournaments and teams fighting for automatic bids. Great times. Although, slightly frustrating because that also opens some upsets that ends up costing bubble spots for more deserving ACC bubble teams. Yes, looking at you Belmont. And it looks like Illinois St.

Not sure that Belmont's win will cost anyone else a potential bubble spot. The conventional wisdom seems to be that Murray State is on the outside looking in, even though they're ranked (last year's SMU team says hi). If that's the case, Murray State won't be taking a bubble spot away from anyone else.

Besides, I don't think the ACC has any true bubble teams. N.C. State maybe, but they took care of business against Syracuse, so I think they're looking OK now. A win on Wednesday in the ACC Tournament probably locks it up and removes any doubt for them. Everyone else in the ACC is out, I think, unless someone makes a suprise run and wins the ACC Tournament.

Wander
03-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Not sure that Belmont's win will cost anyone else a potential bubble spot. The conventional wisdom seems to be that Murray State is on the outside looking in, even though they're ranked (last year's SMU team says hi). If that's the case, Murray State won't be taking a bubble spot away from anyone else.

Besides, I don't think the ACC has any true bubble teams. N.C. State maybe, but they took care of business against Syracuse, so I think they're looking OK now. A win on Wednesday in the ACC Tournament probably locks it up and removes any doubt for them. Everyone else in the ACC is out, I think, unless someone makes a suprise run and wins the ACC Tournament.

I mostly agree. Note that SMU was ranked after the conference tournaments, so it's even worse for Murray State, who won't be ranked next week. I don't think they're guaranteed to be out like Lunardi was saying though, as they're in one of those spots where it's impossible to come to a consensus about.

Miami is a legit bubble team, but I think they need to upset Notre Dame, not just beat Wake or VT.

Olympic Fan
03-08-2015, 04:11 PM

That's a remarkably pessimistic view -- Miami, while probably out at the moment, is a clear bubble team. Almost every projected bracket I've seen has them as one of the first four out. I don't think the first game of the ACC Tournament helps them much, but if they get Notre Dame in the quarterfinals, it would be hard to keep them out.

I agree with you about Belmont's win -- the only team that knocks out if Murray State. UNI's second half rally -- they are about to put Illinois State away -- doers help the bubble teams. UNI and Wichita State are getting in -- Illinois State now won't.

gurufrisbee
03-08-2015, 04:16 PM

I mostly agree. Murray St still might sneak in and if they do, that is a bubble spot being taken away. But if I had to guess I would say this miss out. Still, if they had beaten Belmont it wouldn't even be a question.

Northern Iowa has a great comeback and is looking like they will help out.

NC State is in, I think. From the rhetoric the "experts" are spouting, it sounds like Miami is about the only bubble chance. I still believe Pitt, Clemson, Florida St, and Miami would all finish in the top half of EVERY conference in the nation except the Big 12. The fact that they play SO many games against Duke, UVA, NDame, LVille, NC, NC St, and Cuse and still have bubble worthy records shows that they truly are solid teams and better than a lot of teams that will get in.

Tom B.
03-08-2015, 04:22 PM
Miami is a legit bubble team, but I think they need to upset Notre Dame, not just beat Wake or VT.

OK, I'll give you Miami. I guess my view of Miami is still colored by their late January/early February swoon in which they lost four of five games (which included losses to mediocre-at-best Florida State and bad Georgia Tech and Wake Forest teams) after beating Duke. Since then, though, they've taken care of business, beaten the teams they're supposed to beat, and only lost to Carolina and Louisville.

They definitely need to upset Notre Dame in the ACC Tournament, though. That gets them into coin-flip territory -- their record would be good enough to justify a bid if they get one, but they still could be left out depending on what happens in other conference tournaments, or just because the Committee feels like it. The deeper they can go in the ACC Tournament, the better their chances.

burnspbesq
03-08-2015, 11:59 PM
Big congrats to our crosstown friends at N.C. Central. The Eagles were one of only three teams in D1 to go undefeated in regular-season conference play (Kentucky and Murray State were the others). They play either Bethune-Cookman or Coppin State in the quarterfinals of the MEAC tournament on Tuesday in Norfolk.

Lunardi currently lists the Eagles as our first-round opponent. Not sure how I feel about that. Would be great for their fans if they were to be sent to Charlotte, but all other things being equal I would prefer to see them somewhere else so Duke fans can root for them.

uh_no
03-09-2015, 12:09 AM
Big congrats to our crosstown friends at N.C. Central. The Eagles were one of only three teams in D1 to go undefeated in regular-season conference play (Kentucky and Murray State were the others). They play either Bethune-Cookman or Coppin State in the quarterfinals of the MEAC tournament on Tuesday in Norfolk.

Lunardi currently lists the Eagles as our first-round opponent. Not sure how I feel about that. Would be great for their fans if they were to be sent to Charlotte, but all other things being equal I would prefer to see them somewhere else so Duke fans can root for them.

If I've learned one thing in this lifetime, it's to put 0 weight on the matchups lunardi produces.

Reilly
03-09-2015, 12:17 AM
William & Mary is one of the five teams that have been eligible for the NCAA D1 tourney since it started in 1939 yet has never made it (Northwestern, Army, Citadel, and St. Francis (NY) are the others). W&M's coach played at UNC for Dean.

W&M was up 6 with a minute to go last year in the CAA champ, and lost. They play again Monday night at 7 pm, against Northeastern.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/coffey-william-mary-aims-ncaa-tournament-drought-article-1.2138643

BigWayne
03-09-2015, 02:40 AM
If I've learned one thing in this lifetime, it's to put 0 weight on the matchups lunardi produces.

Jerry Palm spends a lot more time on understanding and accounting for the committee rules on placement and as a result his brackets do better than Lunardi if I remember correctly. He has us against Coastal Carolina in Charlotte. He has NCCU as a 14 seed.

Of course, it all gets shaken up this week after the conf. tournaments play out.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-09-2015, 06:52 AM
Headed tonight to watch Wofford/Furman in the SoCon final here in Asheville. Been the last several years and it is a ton of fun.

Tom B.
03-09-2015, 10:47 AM
Jerry Palm spends a lot more time on understanding and accounting for the committee rules on placement and as a result his brackets do better than Lunardi if I remember correctly. He has us against Coastal Carolina in Charlotte.

A first-round matchup between K and Cliff Ellis would be kind of cool.

OldPhiKap
03-09-2015, 10:50 AM
A first-round matchup between K and Cliff Ellis would be kind of cool.

"Elden Campbell's not walking through that door any time soon"

I thought Cliff did a good job at Clemson, always had some of the best big men in the conference it seemed. Campbell, the Grant brothers, etc.

Hingeknocker
03-09-2015, 11:00 AM
Jerry Palm spends a lot more time on understanding and accounting for the committee rules on placement and as a result his brackets do better than Lunardi if I remember correctly. He has us against Coastal Carolina in Charlotte.

My wife went to Coastal Carolina, so I am pretty thrilled to see them in the tournament for the second year in a row. A first round matchup against the Chanticleers sure would be interesting.

Will be rooting for William and Mary tonight! They made their conference championship game last year, and couldn't get it done. After 76 years of trying, 2015 just has to be their year.

Hingeknocker
03-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Compelling matchup tonight in the Southern Conference Championship Game. #1-seed Wofford (27-6) against #10-seed (out of 10 teams) Furman (11-21!!!). Wofford is currently slotted as a #12-seed in the latest Bracketology, but if Furman is able to pull off the considerable upset, they will obviously be a #16-seed with surely one of the worst records to ever make the NCAAs. That would then bump up every other team on the 16-line, so there is a little bit of "bubble" consideration for this game. All of the other potential #16-seeds who are hoping to avoid the play-in round will certainly be rooting for Furman.

March is great. Game is at 7:00pm ET tonight, on ESPN2.

hurleyfor3
03-09-2015, 01:03 PM
Will be rooting for William and Mary tonight! They made their conference championship game last year, and couldn't get it done. After 76 years of trying, 2015 just has to be their year.

As Ken Pomeroy wrote, "William & Mary has gone its entire 322-year history without an NCAA tournament appearance." That's more than three times as long as the Chicago Cubs' 107-year World Series drought.

Reilly
03-09-2015, 01:28 PM
I remember a mid-game palindrome score against W&M in the late 1980s, as Duke led 71-17 at one point.

K's assistant Chuck Swenson (a manager on Knight's undefeated Indiana team) left Duke and was the head coach at W&M for several years ... later an assistant to Tommy at Michigan ... where's he now?

Tom B.
03-09-2015, 02:32 PM
I remember a mid-game palindrome score against W&M in the late 1980s, as Duke led 71-17 at one point.

This game? (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19890111)

TexHawk
03-09-2015, 05:05 PM
Compelling matchup tonight in the Southern Conference Championship Game. #1-seed Wofford (27-6) against #10-seed (out of 10 teams) Furman (11-21!!!). Wofford is currently slotted as a #12-seed in the latest Bracketology, but if Furman is able to pull off the considerable upset, they will obviously be a #16-seed with surely one of the worst records to ever make the NCAAs. That would then bump up every other team on the 16-line, so there is a little bit of "bubble" consideration for this game. All of the other potential #16-seeds who are hoping to avoid the play-in round will certainly be rooting for Furman.

In 1998 KU played Prairie View in their 1 vs 16 game. They were 13-16 in the regular season, entered their conference tournament at 10-16. Furman trumps that.

I think another sub-.500 team has made the tournament recently, can't recall who, too lazy to look it up.

91devil
03-09-2015, 07:03 PM

And we played both of these teams during the regular season.

Furman had lost eight of nine heading into the conference tournament! Talk about finding lightning in a bottle in the conference tournament (the Paladins beat our friend Mercer yesterday).

-jk
03-09-2015, 07:42 PM
Wofford 33, Furman 30. Wait - that was supposed to be that jinx thread. Sorry! It's half-time, and not over yet. (Which bubble team would stay home, if?)

-jk

OldPhiKap
03-09-2015, 08:41 PM
Wofford 33, Furman 30. Wait - that was supposed to be that jinx thread. Sorry! It's half-time, and not over yet. (Which bubble team would stay home, if?)

-jk

61-60 with 3:30 to go, Terriers.

Furman-Wofford, btw, is a real deal rivalry. Especially football.

SCMatt33
03-09-2015, 08:51 PM
Valiant effort by William and Mary, down 22, goes on a 16-0 run in 3 minutes to pull within 6 in the last minute, but Northeastern holds on by making some late FTs. W&M will have to wait another year for that first trip.

hurleyfor3
03-09-2015, 08:57 PM
Trivia quiz: What school has won the most Southern Conference tournaments? I didn't know and was curious.

Answer, in white: Davidson, with 12. West Virginia has 10; Chattanooga has 10; unc has eight; NCSU has seven Source: Wikipedia

-jk
03-09-2015, 08:59 PM

-jk

Moments... (And fingers crossed... but Dang...)

-jk

gurufrisbee
03-09-2015, 09:17 PM
Wofford is in! Yet another team Duke battled through this season going to the tournament.

DukeWarhead
03-09-2015, 09:59 PM
Really looking forward to keeping an eye on the A-10 tourney. Davidson is so, so hot right now - just like Hansel. :rolleyes: Lunardi the Worthless has a potential second round match-up with Duke and Davidson right now and frankly, I would want nothing to do with that. Nothing at all. McKillop has them playing out of their minds right now. Put them in Kentucky's bracket and see what happens.
The A-10 has some high quality ball going on right now (although VCU is limping.)

OldPhiKap
03-09-2015, 10:53 PM
Trivia quiz: What school has won the most Southern Conference tournaments? I didn't know and was curious.

Answer, in white: ............................................. Source: Wikipedia

Southern Conference is kind of the parent conference for most ACC and SEC teams. At least their traditional footprint.

I think they said that the last time to run the tables at the tourney to get in (four games) was Clemson.

OldPhiKap
03-09-2015, 11:08 PM
Meanwhile, it's not just the men who are passionate about conference tourneys:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/3/8/8169589/womens-basketball-brawl-southern-texas-southern

gofurman
03-09-2015, 11:25 PM

Noting my handle 'gofurman' that was a tough one. Would have been one of the all-time upset runs through a conference weekend in history! 10 beats 7. Check. Beats 3. Check. Beats 2. Check. Beats 1?? Came up 3 pts short losing our best athlete 7 minutes into the game. Our tokoto or Winslow if you will. Durn. Wofford beat NC State at state. My Furman guys lost to UNCg by 30. Yet there we were

Oh well go Duke

gofurman
03-09-2015, 11:36 PM
Southern Conference is kind of the parent conference for most ACC and SEC teams. At least their traditional footprint.

I think they said that the last time to run the tables at the tourney to get in (four games) was Clemson.

Clemson was indeed the last team to run the table of. 4 games to win the southern conference bball tourney in 1939! Man, my Furman guys came so close. Dang injury.
Yes, the SoCon is the parent of the ACC and SEC for the most part and Has the oldest bball tourney starting in 1921! SoCon also was the first to adopt the 3 point line 1980

Duke was a southern Conference team. Also Clemson, UNC, NC state, Alabama, UGA, Florida, VTech etc were all SoCon teams

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-10-2015, 12:00 AM
Wofford is in! Yet another team Duke battled through this season going to the tournament.

Great game and great atmosphere. I was rooting for Furman as the big underdog, but so much fun to see two teams battling it out.

March Madness is the best.

sagegrouse
03-10-2015, 12:13 AM
Clemson was indeed the last team to run the table of. 4 games to win the southern conference bball tourney in 1939! Man, my Furman guys came so close. Dang injury.
Yes, the SoCon is the parent of the ACC and SEC for the most part and Has the oldest bball tourney starting in 1921! SoCon also was the first to adopt the 3 point line 1980

Duke was a southern Conference team. Also Clemson, UNC, NC state, Alabama, UGA, Florida, VTech etc were all SoCon teams

That was the team led by the legendary Banks McFadden, who was All-American in basketball and Clemson's first AP All-American in football. According to his Wikipedia entry (which I actually believe), "On September 19, 1987, Clemson University retired his basketball No. 23 and football No. 66." Two jerseys with different numbers retired on the same day -- wow! McFadden coached the Tigers basketball team from 1946-1956, before moving to another job in the Clemson AD.

Kindly, Sage
'If you want to see a Wiki bio that is largely hokum, look at Duke's equally legendary Dave Sime, who really did set six world records in a three-week period in 1956. The entry makes him a football hero as well, when I am not sure he ever got in a game and 100 percent sure he never won a letter in football'

subzero02
03-10-2015, 07:43 PM
Big game with 2 seed implications tonight at 9 pm as Gonzaga takes on BYU in the West Coast Conference final. Would a second loss in 2 weeks to BYU knock the Zags off the 2 seed line? I haven't watched Gonzaga play very many games this year but really enjoy watching Wiltjer and Pangos.

Tripping William
03-10-2015, 07:50 PM
Big game with 2 seed implications tonight at 9 pm as Gonzaga takes on BYU in the West Coast Conference final. Would a second loss in 2 weeks to BYU knock the Zags off the 2 seed line? I haven't watched Gonzaga play very many games this year but really enjoy watching Wiltjer and Pangos.

No, I will not be baited again. Although I wonder what the Vegas line on this one might be. (BYU skews lines like no one else.) Still, I say: S-C-O-R-E, score, Cougars, score!

subzero02
03-10-2015, 10:31 PM
No, I will not be baited again. Although I wonder what the Vegas line on this one might be. (BYU skews lines like no one else.) Still, I say: S-C-O-R-E, score, Cougars, score!

I wasn't baiting. I got busy with work annd missed the first half... The Zags tipped off as 7.5 point favorites.

subzero02
03-10-2015, 10:56 PM
Collinsworth for BYU is channelling his inner Child-ress...

rasputin
03-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Collinsworth for BYU is channelling his inner Child-ress...

After watching last night's game, I nominate Gonzaga as the whiniest team since Dean Smith.

CameronBornAndBred
03-11-2015, 09:16 PM
Wojo's Marquette team blew out Seton Hall in an 8/9 seed upset, earning the right to face #1 seed Villanova tomorrow. IF tonight was their last victory of the season, they did it on a high note. (22 point win)

gumbomoop
03-12-2015, 02:00 AM
Randle hits late 3 to keep Stanford's very slim hopes alive. Excellent 2d half by Reid Travis. Have to win the Pac12 tourney. Utah next. Go far, Johnny.

bbosbbos
03-12-2015, 12:28 PM
I support Wojo to beat Nova.

brevity
03-13-2015, 01:58 AM
I support Wojo to beat Nova.

Friday the 13th is no match for a rough Thursday the 12th.

Villanova 84, Marquette 49 (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400768417)
Indiana 71, Northwestern 56 (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400767076)
Utah 80, Stanford 56 (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400768452)

I saw the second half of the Stanford-Utah game. If Utah plays like that in the NCAA Tournament, they'll be a scary 3 seed.

CameronBornAndBred
03-13-2015, 08:09 AM
Stanford got stomped. :( Another NIT in Johnny's future.

Northwestern and Marquette also went down, but I am really excited to follow both Wojo's and Collins. CC's end of year success was impressive and fun to watch, hoping it continues next year as he develops a tournament ready team.

jv001
03-13-2015, 09:12 AM
Stanford got stomped. :( Another NIT in Johnny's future.

Northwestern and Marquette also went down, but I am really excited to follow both Wojo's and Collins. CC's end of year success was impressive and fun to watch, hoping it continues next year as he develops a tournament ready team.

I was listening to an ex-coach discussing Northwestern Basketball. I didn't get the coach's name but he said that the future is bright for Wildcats. He said that Chris Collins is doing a great job and that next season Chris has more firepower on the way with recruits and a transfer. I always check to see how Tommy, Chris, Johnny, Wojo, Brey and Bobby are doing. Love the Duke guys. GoDuke!

Tom B.
03-13-2015, 05:10 PM
LaSalle vs. Davidson -- Davidson was down 18 late in the first half, and still trailed by nine with four minutes and change left in the game. Then Davidson went on a 10-0 run to end the game, winning it on a driving layup by Tyler Kalinoski at the buzzer.

Link with video of the winning play: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/tyler-kalinoski-s-buzzer-beater-caps-davidson-s-comeback-win-185609842.html

Richmond vs. VCU -- Richmond won both regular-season meetings between the crosstown rivals (including the game in which VCU's senior point guard Briante Weber blew out his knee), but VCU got a measure of revenge today, winning a close and hard-fought game 70-67.

BigWayne
03-13-2015, 06:03 PM
Oh how I want to see Auburn keep rolling and take down Kentucky tomorrow.

Troublemaker
03-13-2015, 06:52 PM
I was happy to see Auburn beat LSU because that maybe knocks LSU out of the 8/9 seed range and into the 10/11 seed range.

Here are the 7 through 10 seeds on Bracket Matrix (http://www.bracketmatrix.com) as of the time of this post.

7 - SDSU
7 - Michigan St
7 - VCU
7 - Iowa
------------
8 - St. John's
8 - Ohio St
8 - Cincinnati
8 - Oregon
-------------
9 - Xavier
9 - NCSU
9 - Dayton
9 - LSU
------------
10 - Davidson
10 - Colorado St
10 - Georgia
10 - Oklahoma St

The ones in bold are the ones that would concern me as an 8/9 seed.

Unfortunately, Iowa lost early in the Big 10 tourney and will probably end up as an 8/9.

I'll be rooting for Ohio St to win a couple more games in the Big 10 tourney so they can climb to a 7 seed or above. (I really don't want to deal with D'Angelo Russell.) And I'll be rooting for Georgia to lose tonight so they stay 10 or below.

Troublemaker
03-14-2015, 11:49 AM
Wisconsin needs to lose.

1pm ET on CBS, they will play Purdue. Wiscy is 9.5-pt favorites over the Boilermakers.

Duvall
03-14-2015, 11:56 AM
Wisconsin needs to lose.

1pm ET on CBS, they will play Purdue. Wiscy is 9.5-pt favorites over the Boilermakers.

Unfortunately they play in a conference devoid of talent. Don't count on it.

subzero02
03-14-2015, 03:51 PM
I can't believe Michigan State was favored by 4 overall Maryland at tipoff. This is a season Izzo will want to forget asap... Maryland is up 23-9 and in complete control with 9 minutes left in the half.

subzero02
03-14-2015, 04:50 PM
Harvard's in a tight game with Yale... It looks like Harvard is the more talented team but Yale is scrapy and patient

Kedsy
03-14-2015, 05:09 PM
I can't believe Michigan State was favored by 4 overall Maryland at tipoff. This is a season Izzo will want to forget asap... Maryland is up 23-9 and in complete control with 9 minutes left in the half.

Believe it now? Tie game with 4 minutes to play.

uh_no
03-14-2015, 05:15 PM
husky time

Kedsy
03-14-2015, 05:22 PM
husky time

Never stop dreaming.

uh_no
03-14-2015, 05:23 PM
Never stop dreaming.

apparently they didn't change the meal plan in storrs because these huskies still go to be hungry :P

subzero02
03-14-2015, 05:48 PM
Believe it now? Tie game with 4 minutes to play.

Yeah... I missed the Spartan comeback because I started streaming yale vs harvard. A 62-58 final resulted in a push in the msu vs maryland game. I don't like MSU's chances against Wisconsin. I hope we don't wind up losing a 1 seed to the Badgers. Hopefully the committee places a lot of weight on our win on their court. It was early in the year but both teams were healthy and we won by double digits.

Troublemaker
03-14-2015, 06:12 PM
Harvard 53, Yale 51

It was 51-51 when one of the Harvard players hit a long 2-pt shot with something like 8 seconds left.

Yale drove the length of the floor and missed a floater bank shot. Tap-out. Buzzer.

dukelifer
03-14-2015, 06:42 PM
Harvard 53, Yale 51

It was 51-51 when one of the Harvard players hit a long 2-pt shot with something like 8 seconds left.

Yale drove the length of the floor and missed a floater bank shot. Tap-out. Buzzer.

Yale must be kicking themselves - never should have lost to Dartmouth.

subzero02
03-14-2015, 06:54 PM
The Jayhawks with a strong first half performance against the Cyclones. If we are a 1 seed I we might wind up with them as our 2 seed. The committee will be able to sleep on a few decisions this year

uh_no
03-14-2015, 07:26 PM
Never stop dreaming.

dream's still alive :)

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-14-2015, 07:37 PM
Go Buffalo!

Got chills just now thinking about Coach Hurley coming back to Duke some day...

subzero02
03-14-2015, 07:51 PM
Calling Iowa State a second half team might be an understatement... They were down 14 at the half and trailed by as many as 17. The Cyclones now have a 55-51 lead with 6 minutes 11 seconds remaining

lotusland
03-14-2015, 09:36 PM
Not a conference tournament per se but congrats to Tommy and Harvard for winning the Ivy and punching their dance card

SoCalDukeFan
03-14-2015, 09:41 PM
Two of my all time favorite Duke players coaching in the Big Dance.

SoCal 'I have a lot of all time favorite Duke players"

hurleyfor3
03-14-2015, 10:49 PM
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4879&d=1426387716

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4878&d=1426387683

wsb3
03-14-2015, 11:03 PM
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4879&d=1426387716

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4878&d=1426387683

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I watched the second half of the Buffalo game. So happy for Bobby and his team. The K coaching tree has had a pretty good day.

weezie
03-14-2015, 11:22 PM
Amaker made those shorts look good.

Eternal Outlaw
03-14-2015, 11:26 PM
Why does Bill Walton get a paycheck to announce? Talking about Arizona not being on the 1 seed line, his 'analysis' of the current projected one seeds came down to Kentucky being really good, haven't see Nova, Duke already lost, and Wisconsin isn't a West team. Guess resume means nothing, thank goodness he isn't part of the process.

andyw715
03-14-2015, 11:30 PM
First time for Buffalo in the NCAAT.

Go UB!

KandG
03-14-2015, 11:31 PM
Why does Bill Walton get a paycheck to announce? Talking about Arizona not being on the 1 seed line, his 'analysis' of the current projected one seeds came down to Kentucky being really good, haven't see Nova, Duke already lost, and Wisconsin isn't a West team. Guess resume means nothing, thank goodness he isn't part of the process.

Bill Walton is wonderful and I look forward to every game he announces. With that said, whether you love him or hate him, he is not meant to be taken seriously at all. He provides color and comic relief.

BobbyFan
03-14-2015, 11:34 PM
Big moment for Hurley.

Love the Amaker picture.

Congrats to both.

hurleyfor3
03-14-2015, 11:42 PM
Walton is what keeps me from turning off the teevee when the late Pac 12 game comes on.

MarkD83
03-15-2015, 06:23 AM
Walton is what keeps me from turning off the teevee when the late Pac 12 game comes on.

Me too. I have even started to play "Bill Walton" bingo. It was great last night when he announced all of the irrelevant birthdays including Albert Einstein.

burnspbesq
03-15-2015, 06:39 AM
UC Irvine wins the Big West and joins Buffalo as teams dancing for the first time. The Anteaters are the biggest team in all of D1, with seven guys 6'8" or taller, including 7'6," 300 lb. Mamadou Ndiaye.

gus
03-15-2015, 10:24 AM
Amaker made those shorts look good.

He's wearing shorts? Is the Amaker picture from a Nair commercial?

gurufrisbee
03-15-2015, 10:36 AM
Come on SMU!!! First of all, UConn sucks and I hate them. Second, it keeps Miami's slim hopes alive and I want to believe the committee will reward the best conference in America with that bubble bid, but I'm doubtful still.

uh_no
03-15-2015, 01:10 PM
Come on SMU!!! First of all, UConn sucks and I hate them. Second, it keeps Miami's slim hopes alive and I want to believe the committee will reward the best conference in America with that bubble bid, but I'm doubtful still.

keep sippin' on that hatorade :)

burnspbesq
03-15-2015, 01:13 PM
keep sippin' on that hatorade :)

Some hatred is fully justified by the facts.

uh_no
03-15-2015, 01:14 PM
Some hatred is fully justified by the facts.

i ain't gon' argue. just keep pullin for the hungy hungy huskies

InSpades
03-15-2015, 05:27 PM
MSU should've won this game already... 2 bad turnovers throwing the ball up court for no reason. Refs missed an out of bounds foot that gave Wisconsin the tie. Really hope this game isn't bumping us to #1 in the West of a #2 (though I doubt it is).

Troublemaker
03-15-2015, 05:29 PM
Great game, though. March is such an awesome month.

g-money
03-15-2015, 05:30 PM
How in the world was MSU not in the bonus at this point in the game? To my eye this game was a slugfest.

Also, tough break for MSU on the missed call on the step out of bounds by Wisconsin.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-15-2015, 05:30 PM
Sparty! You're killin me!

Bluedog
03-15-2015, 05:31 PM
How in the world was MSU not in the bonus at this point in the game? To my eye this game was a slugfest.

Also, tough break for MSU on the missed call on the step out of bounds by Wisconsin.

THREE fouls on Wisconsin in the entire half (until they fouled intentionally a couple times at the end to waste time). Cannot believe MSU had two ridiculously boneheaded turnovers...just hold onto the ball when you're up 2 with 15 sec left...sheesh.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-15-2015, 05:33 PM
Wisky is gonna win by 10 here.

1 24 90
03-15-2015, 05:35 PM
Does this game give Wisconsin the overall #3 seed and drop Duke to the overall #4 seed?

Bay Area Duke Fan
03-15-2015, 05:37 PM

Izzo should have asked refs to review it.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-15-2015, 05:37 PM
Does this game give Wisconsin the overall #3 seed and drop Duke to the overall #4 seed?
We'll know in 20 minutes what a dramatic overtime win means.

Bluedog
03-15-2015, 05:38 PM

No. A win over a non-top 25 team? Good, but not THAT impressive. I don't see how that would leapfrog us, but who knows. Unless they really emphasize winning your conference tournament (which, given the differing strengths of the conferences doesn't make that much sense).

Danke Shane
03-15-2015, 05:41 PM
If Duke reaped the benefit of a missed out-of-bounds call which sent the team to OT of their conference championship... that alone would be three of the top four stories on ESPN.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-15-2015, 05:42 PM
If Duke reaped the benefit of a missed out-of-bounds call which sent the team to OT of their conference championship... that alone would be three of the top four stories on ESPN.
"Missed Call Saves Duke"

Duvall
03-15-2015, 05:43 PM
No. A win over a non-top 25 team? Good, but not THAT impressive. I don't see how that would leapfrog us, but who knows. Unless they really emphasize winning your conference tournament (which, given the differing strengths of the conferences doesn't make that much sense).

Why would we *ever* expect the Selection Committee to make sense?

Bluedog
03-15-2015, 05:43 PM

Wouldn't have made a difference if Michigan State didn't make an idiotic ill attempted pass. They got the ball after the guy chucked it up in the air. HOLD ON TO THE BALL.

NashvilleDevil
03-15-2015, 05:44 PM

It would be an outside the lines (I'll be here all week)

weezie
03-15-2015, 05:45 PM
Wouldn't have made a difference is Michigan State didn't make an idiotic ill attempted pass. They got the ball after the guy chucked it up in the air. HOLD ON TO THE BALL.

Man that was painful to watch....

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-15-2015, 05:45 PM
Wouldn't have made a difference is Michigan State didn't make an idiotic ill attempted pass. They got the ball after the guy chucked it up in the air. HOLD ON TO THE BALL.
Well, they would have been inbounding the ball. Little different. But yes, dumb play no matter what.

1 24 90
03-15-2015, 05:46 PM

The chair of the committee said earlier today that the big ten game wouldn't affect their seed line but it could affect their seed placement which leads me to believe that Wisconsin could leapfrog Duke assuming both are already on the 1 line. We'll find out soon.

DU82
03-15-2015, 05:48 PM
Izzo should have asked refs to review it.

I do not believe it was reviewable. It was NOT an out-of-bounds call, as play continued.

CoachJ10
03-15-2015, 06:00 PM
THREE fouls on Wisconsin in the entire half (until they fouled intentionally a couple times at the end to waste time). Cannot believe MSU had two ridiculously boneheaded turnovers...just hold onto the ball when you're up 2 with 15 sec left...sheesh.

I've commented before on the favorable treatment the refs have given Wisconsin this season (least amount of fouls called on them in Division 1). Must be a nice luxury to be able to play aggressive defense without worrying about a whistle.

DukieInKansas
03-15-2015, 06:03 PM
i ain't gon' argue. just keep pullin for the hungy hungy huskies

What are hungy hungy huskies? ;)

uh_no
03-15-2015, 06:14 PM
What are hungy hungy huskies? ;)

nit participants

brevity
03-15-2015, 08:11 PM
Here are more recent photos of Hurley and Amaker (and Brey) courtesy of Duke Basketball's Twitter account (link (https://twitter.com/dukeblueplanet/status/576951945744760833)):