PDA

View Full Version : 2015 ACC Tournament. Cheer, cheer for ol' Notre Dame.

Pages : [1] 2

Olympic Fan
03-07-2015, 08:58 PM
Final seedings (confirmed with ACC):

1. Virginia
2. Duke
3. Notre Dame
4. Louisville

5. UNC
6. Miami
7. N.C. State
8. Clemson
9. FSU
10. Pitt

11. Wake Forest
12. Boston College
13. Georgia Tech
14. Virginia Tech

Pairings:

Tuesday:
1 p.m. -- No. 12 Boston College vs. No. 13 Georgia Tech
3 p.m. -- No. 11 Wake Forest vs. No. 14 Va Tech

Wednesday
Noon -- No. 8 Clemson vs. No. 9 FSU
2 p.m. -- No. 5 UNC vs. BC/Ga Tech winner
7 p.m. -- No. 7 NC State vs. Pitt
9 p.m. -- No. 6 Miami vs. Wake Forest/VPI winner

Thursday
Noon -- No. 1 Virginia vs. Clemson/FSU winner
2 p.m. -- No. 4 Louisville vs. UNC or the BC/Ga Tech winner
7 p.m. -- No. 2 Duke vs. N.C. State or Pitt
9 p.m. -- No. 3 Notre Dame vs. Miami or the Wake/VPI winner

Friday --
First semifinal -- 7 p.m. (the upper bracket, meaning the Virginia-Louisville side)
Second semifinal -- 9 p.m. (the lower bracket (the Duke-Notre Dame side)

Saturday
8:30 p.m. The Championship Game

I think I typed that all in correctly ... if not, please check me.

DU82
03-07-2015, 09:03 PM
Final seedings (confirmed with ACC):
Pairings:

Tuesday:
1 p.m. -- No. 12 Boston College vs. No. 13 Georgia Tech
3 p.m. -- No. 11 Wake Forest vs. No. 14 Va Tech

Wednesday
Noon -- No. 8 Clemson vs. No. 9 FSU
2 p.m. -- No. 5 UNC vs. BC/Ga Tech winner
7 p.m. -- No. 7 NC State vs. Pitt
9 p.m. -- No. 6 Miami vs. Wake Forest/VPI winner

Thursday
Noon -- No. 1 Virginia vs. Clemson/FSU winner
2 p.m. -- No. 4 Louisville vs. UNC or the BC/Ga Tech winner
7 p.m. -- No. 2 Duke vs. N.C. State or Pitt
9 p.m. -- No. 3 Notre Dame vs. Miami or the Wake/VPI winner

Friday --
First semifinal -- 7 p.m. (the upper bracket, meaning the Virginia-Louisville side)
Second semifinal -- 9 p.m. (the lower bracket (the Duke-Notre Dame side)

Saturday
8:30 p.m. The Championship Game

I think I typed that all in correctly ... if not, please check me.

Everything's right except the times. You went with the "official" times rather than the real times for the second games.

It goes Noon, 2:30ish, 7PM and 9:30ish. (1 and 3:30 ish for Tuesday.)

hurleyfor3
03-07-2015, 11:51 PM
Now officially named after a purveyor of death insurance. Anyway, the schedule is:

Tuesday

(13) GT vs. (12) BC -- call this Game A, Espn2
(14) VT vs. (11) Wake -- call this Game B, Espn2

Wednesday

(8) Clemson vs. (9) FSU, Game C, Espn
Game A winner vs. (5) uncch, Game D, Espn
(10) Pitt vs. (7) Ncsu, Game E, Espn2
Game B winner vs. (6) UMiami, Game F, Espn2

Thursday (All game Thursday and beyond are Espn)

Game C winner vs. (1) UVa
Game D winner vs. (4) Looville
Game E winner vs. (2) Duke, 1900 EDT
Game F winner vs. (3) ND

Friday games are 1900/2100 EDT, Espn

Championship is Saturday, 2030 EDT, Espn

-bdbd
03-08-2015, 12:09 AM
Not too shabby, as Adam Sandler would say.

I don't relish having to play bubble-team State in the Quarter-Finals, but think the Irish in the semi's is a good match-up now. From where we were a month ago, I like how things worked out overall!

SCMatt33
03-08-2015, 12:13 AM
I think Duke will be helped a bit by the new schedule this year. In years past, the bottom half of the bracket would have to go evening, mid-afternoon, early afternoon to win which severely limited rest between games. This year, the top half of the bracket merely goes early afternoon, evening, evening compared to three evening games for the bottom half. That will definitely help this year with the short bench.

Hingeknocker
03-08-2015, 12:47 AM
I think Duke will be helped a bit by the new schedule this year. In years past, the bottom half of the bracket would have to go evening, mid-afternoon, early afternoon to win which severely limited rest between games. This year, the top half of the bracket merely goes early afternoon, evening, evening compared to three evening games for the bottom half. That will definitely help this year with the short bench.

This is an underrated benefit to the new ACC Tournament schedule. A more balanced set of gametimes throughout the tournament is significant, and really is up there with the extra day of rest by having the Championship Game on Saturday. Plus, getting that primetime spot on Saturday night adds some nice cache. And our guys seem to perform pretty well on the big stage this year.

While I will miss the feeling of a Sunday afternoon Championship Game, moving from cutting down the nets right into the Selection Show shortly thereafter, I'm a big fan of the schedule shift.

gumbomoop
03-08-2015, 01:10 AM
.... extra day of rest.... I'm a big fan of the schedule shift.

We seem to have enough depth, but I, too, welcome the extra day before the NCAAT. I think we're locked in to the Houston 1-seed, but I know we're starting in Charlotte, which is Fri-Sun.

brevity
03-08-2015, 01:41 AM
Now officially named after a purveyor of death insurance.

I did not know this. New York Life will sponsor (http://www.theacc.com/news/espn-new-york-life-first-title-sponsor-atlantic-coast-conference-basketball-tournament-01-06-2015) 2015 Greensboro, 2016 Washington DC, and 2017 Brooklyn. So, a three-year term insurance policy.

I bet they're bummed that the only New York team won't even be there. And it's too late for a refund. Talk about the company you keep.

superdave
03-08-2015, 12:02 PM
Not to look ahead or anything.......

But we are set up to possibly avenge losses to State and Miami and get a second crack at the Wahoos. I will take that. I love March.

brevity
03-08-2015, 09:40 PM
ESPN Classic is showing a handful of old ACC Tournament games over the next few days should you crave an appetizer. Times are Eastern.

Monday 3/9

0700am UNC-Virginia, 1990 Quarterfinal
0900am Maryland-UNC, 1995 Semifinal
1100am UNC-NC State, 1983 Semifinal

Tuesday 3/10

0200am Virginia-Wake Forest, 1991 Quarterfinal
0400am Georgia Tech-UNC, 2010 First Round

Wednesday 3/11

0200am UNC-NC State, 2012 Semifinal
0400am UNC-Virginia Tech, 2008 Semifinal
0700am UNC-Virginia, 1991 Semifinal
0900am Duke-Miami, 2010 Semifinal

Thursday 3/12

0900am Georgia Tech-UNC, 1993 Championship

Friday 3/13

0200am NC State-Virginia, 1983 Championship
0400am UNC-NC State, 1987 Championship
0700am Georgia Tech-Wake Forest, 1996 Championship
0900am UNC-Wake Forest, 1995 Championship

Exhibit #1,538 that ESPN Corporate may have a pro-UNC agenda. Or that UNC fans prefer to live in the past.

jv001
03-08-2015, 11:15 PM
ESPN Classic is showing a handful of old ACC Tournament games over the next few days should you crave an appetizer. Times are Eastern.

Monday 3/9

Tuesday 3/10

Wednesday 3/11

Thursday 3/12

Friday 3/13

Exhibit #1,538 that ESPN Corporate may have a pro-UNC agenda. Or that UNC fans prefer to live in the past.

ESPN is quickly moving up my hate list. Everything they seem to do is, pro uncheat or anti Duke. GoDuke!

burnspbesq
03-08-2015, 11:20 PM

Monday 3/9

Tuesday 3/10

Wednesday 3/11

Thursday 3/12

Friday 3/13

With all due respect, ESPN, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Where is the 1974 Maryland - State game? For cryin' out loud, it's only the best game in the history of the tournament, and arguably one of the two or three best games in the history of the sport. I don't care that it's not in your library because you didn't exist in 1974. Pay the damn license fee.

Philadukie
03-08-2015, 11:21 PM

But we are set up to possibly avenge losses to State and Miami and get a second crack at the Wahoos. I will take that. I love March.

I'm with you. I really hope we see both NC State and Miami again. If things go that way, and we win both, it means we will have beaten every team we've played this year (pre-Tourney).

CharlestonDave
03-09-2015, 05:01 AM
Why is winning the ACC tournament so important ? If winning means that we get a number 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament then I certainly understand.

Maybe I am wrong , but I think that we have already secured a number 1 seed, sure it is always nice to win but why the importance ?

The importance as I see it is to make sure that no one gets hurt and would not be able to perform in the NCAA Tourney

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-09-2015, 06:49 AM
Why is winning the ACC tournament so important ? If winning means that we get a number 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament then I certainly understand.

Maybe I am wrong , but I think that we have already secured a number 1 seed, sure it is always nice to win but why the importance ?

The importance as I see it is to make sure that no one gets hurt and would not be able to perform in the NCAA Tourney

Momeuntum and confidence? Working Grayson's new found skills into the offense? Hanging banners and cutting down nets? Quinn Cook's legacy? Jahlil's brief college marks? Coach K's emphasis on tourments large and small? ACC "street cred?" Another notch on "K Over Dean?"

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-09-2015, 07:35 AM

I'm going with the no championships in way too long of a time frame narrative. I want more banners, and this is a great chance to get one. Also this will pull Coach K one ACC Tourney championship ahead of Dean Smith further infuriating the Holes.

Troublemaker
03-09-2015, 08:10 AM

The ACC tournament winner is the league's official champion.

I also like to combine regular season and tournament W-L records. Right now UVA is 16-2 vs the ACC and Duke is 15-3, but by the end of this tournament Duke could match or best UVA's record depending on when the Hoos lose.

Duke also has not secured a 1 seed yet. When people say that, they're not making allowances for the selection committee being stupid. If Duke loses in the quarterfinal in order to "rest up" for the NCAAs, we will not be a 1 seed. The "Duke didn't win either the regular season or conference tournament" narrative will win out, especially if three of [UVA, Villanova, Arizona, and Wisconsin] are able to do both.

jv001
03-09-2015, 08:14 AM
The ACC tournament winner is the league's official champion.

I also like to combine regular season and tournament W-L records. Right now UVA is 16-2 vs the ACC and Duke is 15-3, but by the end of this tournament Duke could match or best UVA's record depending on when the Hoos lose.

Duke also has not secured a 1 seed yet. When people say that, they're not making allowances for the selection committee being stupid. If Duke loses in the quarterfinal in order to "rest up" for the NCAAs, we will not be a 1 seed. The "Duke didn't win either the regular season or conference tournament" narrative will win out, especially if three of [UVA, Villanova, Arizona, and Wisconsin] are able to do both.

The key word in your post(see bolded word, stupid). It seems each year the committee drops the ball at least once in picking the teams. So, like you, I want Duke to win the ACCT and get that #1 seed. GoDuke!

Duke3517
03-09-2015, 08:36 AM
Duke is a much better team than the team that lost to NC State a month and a half ago. I think Duke is really starting to peak at the right time. Duke probably needs to make it to the acc finals to secure a 1 seed.

ChrisP
03-09-2015, 08:42 AM

Agreed - love our draw. Carolina, UVA, and Louisville all on the other side of the bracket means we would only have to play one of them to win the trophy. Chances to avenge earlier losses to not-so-great NCSU and The "U" (make no mistake, neither of those teams is the same team that beat us earlier in the year), not having to play in the late, late games and then a very good - but, IMHO beatable - Notre Dame team standing in our way of the finals? I'll take that all day long (and twice on Sunday!) Except...the championship is not on Sunday anymore but...you get my point!

I don't see any way Duke does NOT get a #1 seed in the big dance if we at least make it to the ACC Tourney Finals and probably still deserve a #1 even if we were to lose a close one to a solid team like the Irish. Not to look ahead or anything :cool:

dukelifer
03-09-2015, 09:00 AM

Duke teams that win the ACC championship tend to do better than those who don't in the big tourney. So it seems to matter for Duke. A championship has propelled many other teams to the final four. There is something about the confidence it gives a team.

MarkD83
03-09-2015, 09:05 AM

I concur with the other responses listed above about banners etc. In addition, my wife does not let me replace my old Duke t-shirts unless something significant happens. So...I want to be able to get new Duke t-shirts.

rsvman
03-09-2015, 09:50 AM

In addition to the answers given in previous responses to these questions, I'll add this: It's important because Coach K says it is. Winning this tournament is a real point of emphasis for Coach K. He loves to win tournaments, and why shouldn't he?

Tom B.
03-09-2015, 10:17 AM
With all due respect, ESPN, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Where is the 1974 Maryland - State game? For cryin' out loud, it's only the best game in the history of the tournament, and arguably one of the two or three best games in the history of the sport. I don't care that it's not in your library because you didn't exist in 1974. Pay the damn license fee.

Or how about the 2001 Maryland-Duke ACC Tournament semifinal, a pretty darn good game that, if I recall correctly, ESPN televised at the time?

NYBri
03-09-2015, 10:26 AM
What do winners do? Win.

K likes winners.

Therefore, let's win the ACCT.

Pretty simple.

Atlanta Duke
03-09-2015, 02:08 PM
Blue Devils the betting favorite to win the ACC tournament

Duke -5/4

Virginia -9/5

Louisville - 13/2

North Carolina - 13/2

Notre Dame - 13/2

http://sports.bovada.lv/sports-betting/basketball-futures.jsp

I confess to thinking UVA at 9-5 is a good wager:)

UrinalCake
03-09-2015, 02:31 PM
We are definitely not guaranteed a #1 seed as of right now. We saw two years ago how complacency can lead to getting bounced, it cost us a #1 seed and likely final four trip (we should have played Louisville in the FF rather than the E8). I can't remember the last time a team won neither the ACC regular season nor the ACCT and was awarded a #1. I'm sure it has happened, but would be unlikely.

Mostly we want to keep winning because we want winning to be a habit. We'd bring a ton of confidence into the NCAA's by winning the ACCT and riding a 14-game winning streak. We can't take it easy with the belief that the games don't matter and then expect to just flip a switch a week later.

Troublemaker
03-09-2015, 02:54 PM
We are definitely not guaranteed a #1 seed as of right now. We saw two years ago how complacency can lead to getting bounced, it cost us a #1 seed and likely final four trip (we should have played Louisville in the FF rather than the E8). I can't remember the last time a team won neither the ACC regular season nor the ACCT and was awarded a #1. I'm sure it has happened, but would be unlikely.

Mostly we want to keep winning because we want winning to be a habit. We'd bring a ton of confidence into the NCAA's by winning the ACCT and riding a 14-game winning streak. We can't take it easy with the belief that the games don't matter and then expect to just flip a switch a week later.

Agreed.

And even if Duke manages to hang onto a #1 seed with a loss, who wants to head out west with Arizona as the #2?

We need to win this tournament.

CDu
03-09-2015, 03:13 PM
I agree with those who say we're almost certainly a #1 seed as long as we don't completely crap out of the ACC on Thursday.

I agree with those who say we're better off avoiding a #1 seed out West if at all possible.

So I agree with those who say we would be best served winning the tournament. I'd almost rather be a #2 in the East or South than a #1 out West.

Thankfully, the tourney lays out nicely for us. We likely get State or Pitt, then Miami or Notre Dame. We only have to face one of UVa/Louisville/UNC, which are (I think) the three toughest matchups. Let's get it done.

gumbomoop
03-09-2015, 03:59 PM
I agree with those who say we're almost certainly a #1 seed as long as we don't completely crap out of the ACC on Thursday.

I agree with those who say we're better off avoiding a #1 seed out West if at all possible.

So I agree with those who say we would be best served winning the tournament. I'd almost rather be a #2 in the East or South than a #1 out West.

Thankfully, the tourney lays out nicely for us. We likely get State or Pitt, then Miami or Notre Dame. We only have to face one of UVa/Louisville/UNC, which are (I think) the three toughest matchups. Let's get it done.

Too many ACCT threads to keep straight. As I posted on the "Do we need...." thread, one signal advantage of winning it is that it opens up the possibility that Duke would be in Charlotte/Syracuse axis rather than Charlotte/Houston. But maybe that can only happen if Duke wins and UVa doesn't even make the final, and either slips to the 2-line, or at least slips to the final slot on the 1-line.

So, help: if UVa gets a 1-seed, will they be placed in the Syracuse region, even if Duke is ACCT champ? Because they're closer to Syracuse than is Duke?

CDu
03-09-2015, 04:01 PM
Too many ACCT threads to keep straight. As I posted on the "Do we need...." thread, one signal advantage of winning it is that it opens up the possibility that Duke would be in Charlotte/Syracuse axis rather than Charlotte/Houston. But maybe that can only happen if Duke wins and UVa doesn't even make the final, and either slips to the 2-line, or at least slips to the final slot on the 1-line.

So, help: if UVa gets a 1-seed, will they be placed in the Syracuse region, even if Duke is ACCT champ? Because they're closer to Syracuse than is Duke?

It would depend on whether Duke or UVa is the #2 overall. That will decide who gets which bracket.

Seattle Hoo
03-09-2015, 04:10 PM
Justin Anderson practiced today.

MChambers
03-09-2015, 04:20 PM
Good to hear. Hope he's available this weekend.

jv001
03-09-2015, 04:37 PM

That's great news. I imagine Bennett works him back in slowly to keep him from tweaking anything. We want to beat you in the finals(ACCT & NCAAT) when you're at full strength. :cool: GoDuke!

gumbomoop
03-09-2015, 04:38 PM
It would depend on whether Duke or UVa is the #2 overall. That will decide who gets which bracket.

Just to seek clarification, by "who gets which," you mean precisely that if Duke is the 2d overall #1 seed, it will definitely get Syracuse region?

If yes, then Duke has the extra incentive to win the ACCT, which probably (?) moves them into #2 overall, and gives them the Charlotte/Syracuse route. This assumes, as I do, that K has at very least a slight preference for Syracuse region, having played and won there 3 weeks ago.

CDu
03-09-2015, 04:45 PM
Just to seek clarification, by "who gets which," you mean precisely that if Duke is the 2d overall #1 seed, it will definitely get Syracuse region?

If yes, then Duke has the extra incentive to win the ACCT, which probably (?) moves them into #2 overall, and gives them the Charlotte/Syracuse route. This assumes, as I do, that K has at very least a slight preference for Syracuse region, having played and won there 3 weeks ago.

I refuse to use the term "definitely" because you never know. But yes, in theory, if Syracuse is the preferred location for Duke and for UVa, then whomever gets the #2 overall will go to Syracuse's region. So, yes, it behooves us to win the tourney.

pfrduke
03-09-2015, 04:48 PM

I still think the only way we can lock it up is to either a) win the ACCT or b) have Wisconsin or Villanova lose a game. If Duke doesn't win the ACCT and is sitting at, say, 30-4 without a regular season or conference title, it will be very hard for Duke to supplant either a 31-3 Big Ten regular season and tournament champion Wisconsin team or a 32-2 Big East regular season and tournament champion Villanova team. I could see arguments for why, in that scenario, Duke still should be a #1 ahead of either team, but that would be far from a guarantee.

W&LHoo
03-09-2015, 05:06 PM

Dear lord he's a beast. How many days out from surgery is that?

weezie
03-09-2015, 05:17 PM
Well, as long as he doesn't laugh or sneeze, he should be ok. Those'll flatten ya after gut surgery.

Never mind the touch and go runs. :o

CDu
03-09-2015, 05:19 PM
Dear lord he's a beast. How many days out from surgery is that?

4 days. On par with typical schedule following laparoscopic surgery (typically 3-5 days). Doesn't say how much he practiced (I would be shocked if it was close to full participation). Would still be quite surprising to see him play this weekend.

chainsaw
03-09-2015, 05:28 PM
...I'm much less sanguine about our likely matchup with State than many on this board. Watching them recently, Cat Barber is playing at a much higher level than when we played earlier in the season. They have the guard play (drivers and shooters) and frontcourt to challenge our defense (especially help and rotations).

I hope Pitt wins or takes them to double OT on Wednesday. I expect Thursday will be a big challenge otherwise.

Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Wahoo2000
03-09-2015, 05:39 PM
4 days. On par with typical schedule following laparoscopic surgery (typically 3-5 days). Doesn't say how much he practiced (I would be shocked if it was close to full participation). Would still be quite surprising to see him play this weekend.

3-5 days up and walking around maybe, but if he did anything beyond just shooting, or maybe a walkthrough, I'd be shocked. Really seems unlikely to play this weekend - I've never heard of any high-level athlete returning quicker than 13 days. 1st ACC tourney game would only be 7 days, even the title game would be 9. I'd still "Armchair MD" and say 1st round of the NCAAs at the earliest.

Unlikely, but entertaining thought: If he DID play in this weekend's tourney, AND he is instrumental in lifting UVa to another ACC crown....... that dude will NEVER pay for anything in Charlottesville again (after eligilibility is used up, of course). Biggest hero in UVa basketball since.......???

jv001
03-09-2015, 05:44 PM
...I'm much less sanguine about our likely matchup with State than many on this board. Watching them recently, Cat Barber is playing at a much higher level than when we played earlier in the season. They have the guard play (drivers and shooters) and frontcourt to challenge our defense (especially help and rotations).

I hope Pitt wins or takes them to double OT on Wednesday. I expect Thursday will be a big challenge otherwise.

Again, I hope I'm wrong.

You can count me in the group that is always worried when Duke plays State. They seem to give us fits. I told my wife, I'll bet anything that the ACC bracket breaks down where Duke opens against NC State. I'm worried more about the Pack than I am the Cavs. GoDuke!

CDu
03-09-2015, 05:44 PM
3-5 days up and walking around maybe, but if he did anything beyond just shooting, or maybe a walkthrough, I'd be shocked. Really seems unlikely to play this weekend - I've never heard of any high-level athlete returning quicker than 13 days. 1st ACC tourney game would only be 7 days, even the title game would be 9. I'd still "Armchair MD" and say 1st round of the NCAAs at the earliest.

Unlikely, but entertaining thought: If he DID play in this weekend's tourney, AND he is instrumental in lifting UVa to another ACC crown....... that dude will NEVER pay for anything in Charlottesville again (after eligilibility is used up, of course). Biggest hero in UVa basketball since.......???

Right. 3-5 days to light activity, 1.5-2 weeks to full activity. Very unlikely to play this weekend, but very likely to be ready for the NCAA tourney.

BigWayne
03-09-2015, 05:47 PM
Apparently, Rasheed will be making an appearance Saturday. At least in attendee hands.

gam7
03-09-2015, 05:58 PM

Matt Holliday played in a professional baseball game nine days after his appendectomy in 2011. http://www.sbnation.com/2011/4/1/2085301/matt-holliday-appendectomy-st-louis-cardinals

Billy Dat
03-09-2015, 06:07 PM
DBR polarizer, Seth Greemberg, offers what I think is a good take on Duke and the ACC Tournament in this short clip.
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12448492

He says this is a big tournament for Duke in that its been a while since we won it, it can be a good test of toughness and NCAA title potential, etc. I tend to agree. I want to win this tournament. Tough games will do us good. Feeling that so many guys are gone after this year, I want to watch them play as many big games as possible from here on out.

roywhite
03-09-2015, 06:18 PM

Going back many years, but Wally Walker earned the affection of Cavalier fans in 1976 with an amazing ACC Tournament run; seeded 6th, UVa beat 3 nationally ranked teams, including the Tarheels in the final, and won the Everett Case Award as the Most Valuable Player of the tournament.

But you tell us, is Wally Walker still spoken of? Maybe, it's Ralph Sampson as the all-time hero?....or a bit of unfulfilled dreams?

77devil
03-09-2015, 06:29 PM

If Wisc., Villanova, and Virginia win out, Duke will not be a one seed if it loses on Friday, maybe even on Saturday.

-jk
03-09-2015, 07:24 PM

If he plays this weekend, I suspect he'll miss the NCAA's.

I bet he misses this weekend instead.

-jk

-jk
03-09-2015, 07:26 PM
DBR polarizer, Seth Greemberg, offers what I think is a good take on Duke and the ACC Tournament in this short clip.

He says this is a big tournament for Duke in that its been a while since we won it, it can be a good test of toughness and NCAA title potential, etc. I tend to agree. I want to win this tournament. Tough games will do us good. Feeling that so many guys are gone after this year, I want to watch them play as many big games as possible from here on out.

I've found Seth much more palatable since he retired from coaching. He seems much more happy and comfortable. It's grounded him in a really good way.

-jk

CDu
03-09-2015, 07:30 PM
If he plays this weekend, I suspect he'll miss the NCAA's.

I bet he misses this weekend instead.

-jk

Yeah, this is not an issue of toughness in being able to play this weekend. The body legitimately needs time to heal from being cut open, even from a "minor" surgery like a laparoscopic appendectomy. Playing high-level college basketball as few as 8 days after surgery would seem pretty dangerous and unnecessarily risky, even though I'm sure he'll want to play.

NYBri
03-09-2015, 08:04 PM

Good stuff. What, 4 days after surgery?

gumbomoop
03-09-2015, 08:11 PM

Yours is a reasonable concern, and for reasons you cite. I assume both teams will be deservedly confident, Pack because they won in Raleigh and mostly strong final 6 games, Duke because ending on a big uptick, 11 straight, minor blip @ FSU, major blip @ VT, exhilarating comebacks v. UNC, other relentless wins.

Pack do have to be careful about overlooking Pitt, but presumably they don't want to chance landing back on the bubble, and so will be ready to play Wed.

I expect Pack to win Wed, and then we'll see an exciting game on Thurs, more exciting for Duke nutters than was the game in Raleigh, which popped some facile expectations, including mine. Krzyzewski does seem to have learned how to get the near-best out of his freshmen, who in turn seem to have learned how to play with Quinn. Have to expect another game in 80s. Gottfried thinks his team knows how to beat Duke. Krzyzewski thinks his team is going to win some more games.

dukelifer
03-09-2015, 08:26 PM
Yours is a reasonable concern, and for reasons you cite. I assume both teams will be deservedly confident, Pack because they won in Raleigh and mostly strong final 6 games, Duke because ending on a big uptick, 11 straight, minor blip @ FSU, major blip @ VT, exhilarating comebacks v. UNC, other relentless wins.

Pack do have to be careful about overlooking Pitt, but presumably they don't want to chance landing back on the bubble, and so will be ready to play Wed.

I expect Pack to win Wed, and then we'll see an exciting game on Thurs, more exciting for Duke nutters than was the game in Raleigh, which popped some facile expectations, including mine. Krzyzewski does seem to have learned how to get the near-best out of his freshmen, who in turn seem to have learned how to play with Quinn. Have to expect another game in 80s. Gottfried thinks his team knows how to beat Duke. Krzyzewski thinks his team is going to win some more games.

State is a tough matchup for Duke. They have big quick guards and State plays their best against the better teams. Their losses have for the most part been close. This is a very dangerous team. Duke will not overlook them but it will be a battle- plus they will have already played which will give them an early advantage. State could overlook Pitt but there will be a home crowd to pull them through. This will be a difficult game for Duke as the arena will be against them and the Pack is more than decent.

awhom111
03-09-2015, 09:52 PM
I know some people like having the other set of announcers.

Here is the list for Thursday:
http://www.theacc.com/news/game-9-coverage-of-the-2015-acctourney

Again, with the latest TV deal, these are coexisting feeds and you can still watch on ESPN.

Duke31122
03-09-2015, 10:12 PM
I can see where people are concerned with playing State again. However, this team has grown a ton since they were handed their first loss of the season. Since then we have implemented some zone into our defense, and really matured as well. Not taking anything away from State, they are a tournament caliber team for sure. Duke will not take them lightly, if anything I think Duke will be amped up for an opportunity at a revenge game. Remember what happened the one time we had a revenge game this year? I think the guys over at Notre Dame do.

The good thing about this team is that they are battle tested, and they have a great Senior and Coach to lead them to the title. At this point in the season every game is important for each team that plays in it. Hopefully they guys on the team will relay that sense of urgency to the younger guys to prevent past results.

This is where playing @Wisconsin, @Virginia, @Syracuse, and the other numerous away/neutral site games we played this year will help. I really believe in this team. About as much if not more so than I believed in the team during Nolan and Singler's senior year. I personally believe we are in for a fun ride, I just hope my gut is right.

duketaylor
03-09-2015, 10:14 PM
"If Wisc., Villanova, and Virginia win out, Duke will not be a one seed if it loses on Friday, maybe even on Saturday."

Disagree there as Duke beat two of the three in their buildings. Duke does need to get to Saturday, however.

CDu
03-09-2015, 10:27 PM
"If Wisc., Villanova, and Virginia win out, Duke will not be a one seed if it loses on Friday, maybe even on Saturday."

Disagree there as Duke beat two of the three in their buildings. Duke does need to get to Saturday, however.

Exactly. We have road wins against and similar records to two of the three contenders, and the third has a much weaker schedule/resume. I think even a Friday loss (if to Notre Dame) puts us in good shape. The "so and so won their conference" argument is hollow: neither Wisconsin nor Villanova have anywhere near the competition at the top that the ACC has. Second in the ACC is more impressive than 1st in the Big East.

sagegrouse
03-10-2015, 12:19 AM
I've found Seth much more palatable since he retired from coaching. He seems much more happy and comfortable. It's grounded him in a really good way.

-jk

Seth is pretty darned good in the studio and on the sidelines on ESPN TV, but he is a fabulous commentator on ESPN radio, where he just calls into various shows. Marshall McLuhan was right -- radio is a "hot" medium and Ol' Seth is certainly a "hot" personality.

Troublemaker
03-10-2015, 12:57 AM
Tuesday's games:

1pm ET: 12 seed BC is a 2-pt favorite over 13 seed GaTech

3pm ET: 11 seed Wake is a 4.5-pt favorite over 14 seed VaTech

Based on recent play from those teams, gotta like BC and VaTech to cover and win. Jackets will also be without Georges-Hunt.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-10-2015, 09:05 AM
Good stuff. What, 4 days after surgery?

There was a kid on my (tiny, insignificant) college basketball team who was back to playing basketball within a week of an appendectomy. He was from Lithuania and said his doctor discouraged physical activity so quick after surgery because of potential scarring, but reasoned "well, whatever, I'm not a male model."

I don't know what the potential health issues might be from exercise immediately after the surgery, but I'm willing to bet Justin Anderson is also not worried about being a model.

UVa is having such a special season - I bet it will be hard to keep him off the court if there's a chance for him to play.

W&LHoo
03-10-2015, 09:24 AM
There was a kid on my (tiny, insignificant) college basketball team who was back to playing basketball within a week of an appendectomy. He was from Lithuania and said his doctor discouraged physical activity so quick after surgery because of potential scarring, but reasoned "well, whatever, I'm not a male model."

I don't know what the potential health issues might be from exercise immediately after the surgery, but I'm willing to bet Justin Anderson is also not worried about being a model.

UVa is having such a special season - I bet it will be hard to keep him off the court if there's a chance for him to play.

The question is whether or not it makes sense - even if we're in the ACCT final - to let him play if that risks a setback that could prevent his play in the NCAAs. I suspect Coach Bennett takes the long view and sits him until next weekend.

UrinalCake
03-10-2015, 09:52 AM
Given the idiocy of the selection committee, I think UVA would be better off not playing Anderson. If they lose, they'll just chalk it up to not having him. But if he plays and they lose then they have no excuse for losing. I'm not saying this makes sense, but it seems to be how the Selection Committee views things.

Duvall
03-10-2015, 10:01 AM
Given the idiocy of the selection committee, I think UVA would be better off not playing Anderson. If they lose, they'll just chalk it up to not having him. But if he plays and they lose then they have no excuse for losing. I'm not saying this makes sense, but it seems to be how the Selection Committee views things.

Having Anderson dress and warm up before the games this weekend but not play is probably the way to go both in terms of Anderson's health and gaming the Selection Committee - you show that he's likely ready to go for the NCAAs, but not quite ready this week.

CDu
03-10-2015, 10:01 AM

The issue is that, with any strenuous activity (and competitive basketball certainly qualifies), you run the risk of re-tearing the tissue that was just cut open to remove the appendix. It isn't life-threatening (necessarily, though an unlikely severe bleed could be life-threatening), but coming back and playing too soon puts a player at risk of missing subsequent games to address a subsequent tear.

Beyond the risk, there is the practical matter. How effective can he be out there with a not-quite-fully-healed surgical incision? Any big stretches, any fighting for a rebound/loose ball, any collision to the midsection is going to absolutely kill. Anyone who has had an appendectomy, hernia surgery, or other procedure in the torso/midsection area can attest to the excruciating pain a sneeze will cause; well, the result is similar doing many common basketball activities.

All this is not to say that Anderson won't want to give it a go this week. I'm sure he will, and I'm sure he will think it isn't a risk. But I don't know of any doctors who would suggest returning to a contact sport less than 10 days after surgery is a good idea.

It all may be moot, depending upon whether Anderson even thinks he is ready. But if he does think he is ready, then he and his physicians will have to weigh the risks of reinjury (and likely missing NCAA tournament games) against the potential benefit of helping his team win an ACC championship (that they may not need to get a #1 seed anyway).

I'm still in the mindset that his return to play this weekend is highly unlikely. I think it would be unnecessarily risky for UVa to play him this weekend and risk not having him for the NCAA tournament.

CDu
03-10-2015, 10:03 AM
Having Anderson dress and warm up before the games this weekend but not play is probably the way to go both in terms of Anderson's health and gaming the Selection Committee - you show that he's likely ready to go for the NCAAs, but not quite ready this week.

Yeah, this is (in my opinion) the most likely scenario. Leak word that he is "practicing" (even though he is probably practicing on an extremely limited basis right now) this week. Then have him dress for each game but with no intention of playing him. Let the other ACC coaches ponder the possibility that he might play and gain an advantage in preparation knowing that they have to gameplan for the possibility of him being out there. And let the NCAA "know" that you expect him back for the NCAA tournament, to erase any doubt about UVa's readiness for a 1 seed.

UrinalCake
03-10-2015, 10:04 AM

Yeah, kind of like what we did with Kyrie in the ACCT, when we had him come out during pregame warmups, run around a little, and cause the rest of the college basketball world to soil their pants.

NYBri
03-10-2015, 10:06 AM
I can see where people are concerned with playing State again. However, this team has grown a ton since they were handed their first loss of the season. Since then we have implemented some zone into our defense, and really matured as well. Not taking anything away from State, they are a tournament caliber team for sure. Duke will not take them lightly, if anything I think Duke will be amped up for an opportunity at a revenge game. Remember what happened the one time we had a revenge game this year? I think the guys over at Notre Dame do.

The good thing about this team is that they are battle tested, and they have a great Senior and Coach to lead them to the title. At this point in the season every game is important for each team that plays in it. Hopefully they guys on the team will relay that sense of urgency to the younger guys to prevent past results.

This is where playing @Wisconsin, @Virginia, @Syracuse, and the other numerous away/neutral site games we played this year will help. I really believe in this team. About as much if not more so than I believed in the team during Nolan and Singler's senior year. I personally believe we are in for a fun ride, I just hope my gut is right.

This.

If we lose to State, it won't be because of nerves or the fans. This team has ice in their veins.

They also have developed a new weapon: unpredictability.

If State wants a win, they are going to have to earn it with an absolutely great game.

In short, this version of Duke doesn't beat itseft.

DarkstarWahoo
03-10-2015, 10:18 AM
My head gets what you're saying, but I've only seen one UVA ACCT championship in my lifetime. It's still a major deal to me!

There's also the matter of knocking off a little bit of the rust. Granted, an opening-round game against a 15 or 16 seed would probably serve that purpose well enough, but I want to see him this weekend.

NYBri
03-10-2015, 10:26 AM
My head gets what you're saying, but I've only seen one UVA ACCT championship in my lifetime. It's still a major deal to me!

There's also the matter of knocking off a little bit of the rust. Granted, an opening-round game against a 15 or 16 seed would probably serve that purpose well enough, but I want to see him this weekend.

We will all see Anderson soon enough, I'm afraid. 😎

killerleft
03-10-2015, 10:30 AM

I'm with you and Seth. West Point Mike doesn't enter ANY tournament and play other than to win. And he's not looking for prisoners.:D So let's go out and win the dang thing and put up a banner!! Quinn Cook, Amile Jefferson... heck, everybody on the team wants to put up a banner in Cameron! That's why they come to Duke! This should be in the thread where some idjits actually want to do away with the ACC Tournament!;):o

Go Duke!!!!!!!!

!

Tripping William
03-10-2015, 11:27 AM
Illness. Running a fever, but apparently not mono or strep throat.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12453960/kennedy-meeks-north-carolina-tar-heels-opener-acc-tournament

Seems Kennedy is day-to-day but (as they say), then again, aren't we all?

Henderson
03-10-2015, 11:56 AM

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12453960/kennedy-meeks-north-carolina-tar-heels-opener-acc-tournament

I'm surprised that a fever on Tuesday morning leads to a categorical scratch for a Wednesday game. It might not be mono or strep, but the move by UNC-CH (not "questionable" or "doubtful" but "out") suggests more than a little bug. Hope he gets well quickly.

OldPhiKap
03-10-2015, 11:59 AM

I guess we'll get a chance to test the Hicks-Johnson theory of greatness that I think Wheat was espousing.

Frankly, I think both of them are ready to step up and will be solid down the road. This will be an interesting opportunity for them.

Hope Meeks gets better soon; I gotta think this will impact his conditioning if the Heels get to play multiple games on multiple days.

roywhite
03-10-2015, 12:12 PM
I'm surprised that a fever on Tuesday morning leads to a categorical scratch for a Wednesday game. It might not be mono or strep, but the move by UNC-CH (not "questionable" or "doubtful" but "out") suggests more than a little bug. Hope he gets well quickly.

Do we need a Kennedy Meeks fever vigil? Or is that something for the IC crowd to follow?

Call me a cynic, but the move by UNC-CH does suggest more than a little bug; it suggests advance rationalization and preparation for an early exit from the ACC Tournament, at which point Ol' Roy will remind us that the conference tournament is not the real prize.

SCMatt33
03-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Do we need a Kennedy Meeks fever vigil? Or is that something for the IC crowd to follow?

Call me a cynic, but the move by UNC-CH does suggest more than a little bug; it suggests advance rationalization and preparation for an early exit from the ACC Tournament, at which point Ol' Roy will remind us that the conference tournament is not the real prize.

I think there's even more to it than that this season. UNC has a very interesting position in terms of seeding. There general seed range seems to be as high as 3 (win the ACCT via the hardest route plus some favorable comparisons from the committee), or as low as a 7 (first game flameout plus some good runs by peers in other conferences to pass them. Most likely, however, their in the 4-6 range and a win over Louisville in the quarters would likely be enough for a top 5 seed. The problem with that is that the committee is highly unlikely to pair a 4/5 UNC with a 1 seeded Duke or UVA. That means if Duke and UVA both hold on to 1 seeds and UNC is a 4/5, they have a 50/50 shot at seeing Kentucky in the Sweet 16. While it's definitely not a scenario worth explicitly tanking for, I wouldn't blame Roy for being super cautious with his guys given that it's a huge gauntlet for UNC to win the ACCT anyway.

pfrduke
03-10-2015, 01:06 PM
Tuesday's games:

1pm ET: 12 seed BC is a 2-pt favorite over 13 seed GaTech

3pm ET: 11 seed Wake is a 4.5-pt favorite over 14 seed VaTech

Based on recent play from those teams, gotta like BC and VaTech to cover and win. Jackets will also be without Georges-Hunt.

So just how empty do we think the Greensboro Coliseum will be for a 1:00 game on a Tuesday between BC and Georgia Tech. This could be bad pre-season tournament levels of attendance.

hudlow
03-10-2015, 01:09 PM
I wish U*NC was playing today...

DarkstarWahoo
03-10-2015, 01:13 PM
So just how empty do we think the Greensboro Coliseum will be for a 1:00 game on a Tuesday between BC and Georgia Tech. This could be bad pre-season tournament levels of attendance.

Could be reminiscent of those scintillating Tuesday matchups between South Florida and SMU (pre-Brown) in the Big East tournament at MSG.

SCMatt33
03-10-2015, 01:16 PM

Probably a smart move by the ACC to use the curtain today. Still doesn't look packed or anything, but it helps make it look at least a bit respectable for what it is.

pfrduke
03-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Probably a smart move by the ACC to use the curtain today. Still doesn't look packed or anything, but it helps make it look at least a bit respectable for what it is.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised with how crowded it appeared. Curtain was definitely a good move.

ETA: The sidelines look decent - the end zones are empty.

David Bunkley
03-10-2015, 01:56 PM

It looks like there are a few more people there than I expected.

#GODUKE

Wheat/"/"/"
03-10-2015, 01:56 PM
I guess we'll get a chance to test the Hicks-Johnson theory of greatness that I think Wheat was espousing.

Frankly, I think both of them are ready to step up and will be solid down the road. This will be an interesting opportunity for them.

Hope Meeks gets better soon; I gotta think this will impact his conditioning if the Heels get to play multiple games on multiple days.

Word is Meeks has been sick off and on for the past couple of months. Makes me feel sort of guilty hammering on him for what I took as lack of effort.

I'd rather see James and Johnson start in the post and have Hicks come off the bench, but Roy might think that defensively Hicks is a better option since they are both relatively small.

OldPhiKap
03-10-2015, 02:09 PM
Word is Meeks has been sick off and on for the past couple of months. Makes me feel sort of guilty hammering on him for what I took as lack of effort.

I'd rather see James and Johnson start in the post and have Hicks come off the bench, but Roy might think that defensively Hicks is a better option since they are both relatively small.

James, Johnson and Hicks should be more than adequate for the Heels if (1) Paige is really playing pain-free finally, and (2) Tokoto shows the aggressiveness he has shown at times and drives instead of settling for jumpers. This is still a very good team, a legitimate 4-5 seed that could even move up if it gets to the ACCT finals. (Although Lunardi's 3's -- Maryland, Oklahoma, Iowa State, and Notre Dame -- will be hard to shuffle below Carolina. Louisville, Baylor, Utah and Northern Iowa are his 4's -- may be hard to jump too).

Wheat/"/"/"
03-10-2015, 02:11 PM

Roy will rarely play a player that does not practice.

MChambers
03-10-2015, 02:16 PM
Roy will rarely play a player that does not practice.

Especially in the unimportant (to Roy) ACC tourney! :p

devildeac
03-10-2015, 03:02 PM
I wish U*NC was playing today...

I'll second this. The Coliseum would be pretty full, I'd bet, but it'd also be pretty quiet, too. :rolleyes:

pfrduke
03-10-2015, 03:12 PM
Of course the Jackets lose by just 1. Their NINTH conference loss of 5 points or fewer and their third by 1 point. Tough season in the ATL.

AustinDevil
03-10-2015, 03:21 PM
Could be reminiscent of those scintillating Tuesday matchups between South Florida and SMU (pre-Brown) in the Big East tournament at MSG.

This is the tiniest nit, and no doubt pre-Brown SMU wouldn't have pulled in a crowd in New York, but SMU did not ever get to play in the Big East tournament. They did join the Big East, but they began play in the American after ND and the Catholic schools left.

TKG
03-10-2015, 04:21 PM
Poor Georgia Tech. Had the game in their grasp and just could not close the deal. How many close game losses have the Yellow Jackets suffered through this year? It has to be torture to the coaches, players and fans.

OldPhiKap
03-10-2015, 04:41 PM
Have not seen BC play all year, how do they match up with the Heels?

roywhite
03-10-2015, 04:50 PM

Here's the boxscore from their game a month ago:

UNC 79 -- BC 68 (http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400587969)

Hanlan is the real deal, but BC has no answer for Carolina's inside game.

Tripping William
03-10-2015, 04:52 PM

Not well enough, if I had to wager. A fully-engaged Tokoto is athletic enough to check Hanlan.

W&LHoo
03-10-2015, 04:55 PM
Poor Georgia Tech. Had the game in their grasp and just could not close the deal. How many close game losses have the Yellow Jackets suffered through this year? It has to be torture to the coaches, players and fans.

You could write multiple psych theses reading their boards. Just an endless downward spiral.

I feel genuinely bad for the players though. I can't imagine what a season like this must have felt like.

53n206
03-10-2015, 04:57 PM
Enormous discrepancy in rebounds in favor of Georgia Tech, also many more shots. Not too many went in the net. Boston College ahead in the three point shots.

theschwartz
03-10-2015, 05:37 PM
Jalen Hudson's performance against us may not have been so fluky. Just scored his 30th point in a tight battle vs WF and is making huge clutch plays.

75Crazie
03-10-2015, 06:04 PM
I know that today's games just involve the bottom four teams ... but it is still one of the best opening days of the tournament that I can recall. I can only hope that tomorrow's games approach anywhere near the level of competitiveness of these games.

Troublemaker
03-10-2015, 06:08 PM

UNC should crush them on the boards and wear them down. Especially with BC playing one day after GaTech just crushed them on the boards and wore them down but couldn't finish in typical GaTech fashion this season.

VaTech vs Wake was very entertaining for an 11 vs 14 game. Hokies seem to have way more good perimeter players than a last place team would typically have.

SCMatt33
03-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Here's the boxscore from their game a month ago:

UNC 79 -- BC 68 (http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400587969)

Hanlan is the real deal, but BC has no answer for Carolina's inside game.

Definitely not, but they have a better chance of compete ping than GT would have. GT is basically a much much worse version of Carolina and all potential strengths they had are completely negated. BC could still get hot from outside and have a big day from Hanlan. GT would never be able to have the kind of rebounding advantage that they did today. It's part of the reason that BC was somewhat respectable against UNC while GT got run out of the building twice.

CDu
03-10-2015, 07:58 PM
Definitely not, but they have a better chance of compete ping than GT would have. GT is basically a much much worse version of Carolina and all potential strengths they had are completely negated. BC could still get hot from outside and have a big day from Hanlan. GT would never be able to have the kind of rebounding advantage that they did today. It's part of the reason that BC was somewhat respectable against UNC while GT got run out of the building twice.

BC will have arguably the best player on the floor in that game. So that gives them a chance. It is a small chance, but a chance nonetheless.

mike88
03-10-2015, 08:05 PM
BC will have arguably the best player on the floor in that game. So that gives them a chance. It is a small chance, but a chance nonetheless.

BC is riding a 4 game win streak right now - I think they could give UNC a good game, especially if they can control tempo

OldPhiKap
03-11-2015, 09:27 AM
BC is riding a 4 game win streak right now - I think they could give UNC a good game, especially if they can control tempo

If I am reading it right, BC opened at a 3.5 point underdog in Vegas and has been driven out to an 8.5 point dog.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/odds

superdave
03-11-2015, 11:21 AM
I think this Unc team only has a couple of wins left in them this season. Is BC one of them?

Troublemaker
03-11-2015, 11:38 AM
If I am reading it right, BC opened at a 3.5 point underdog in Vegas and has been driven out to an 8.5 point dog.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/odds

You're reading it correctly, but the 3.5 had to have been a typo or mistake. No way could North Carolina have truly opened as only 3.5-pt favorites. (Perhaps, the mistake was the result of mixing up North Carolina with North Carolina State. The Wolfpack opened as 3.5-pt favorites over Pitt.)

OldPhiKap
03-11-2015, 11:57 AM
You're reading it correctly, but the 3.5 had to have been a typo or mistake. No way could North Carolina have truly opened as only 3.5-pt favorites. (Perhaps, the mistake was the result of mixing up North Carolina with North Carolina State. The Wolfpack opened as 3.5-pt favorites over Pitt.)

I saw that 3.5 on another site too, and pulled the one I linked when I tried to confirm. I cannot imagine the line started that close, but it appears to have done so. Maybe Vegas was expecting the news about Meeks to tighten the line in the marketplace, and the early money snatched it up as quickly as possible.

UNC is like a box of chocolates. They melt, and you always get the crappy red filling one no matter what shape you choose.

Er, sorry -- I mean't you never know what you'll get.

hurleyfor3
03-11-2015, 12:03 PM
If you need a reason to watch FSU/Clemson, Shane Battier is doing color for espn.

Troublemaker
03-11-2015, 12:06 PM
I saw that 3.5 on another site too, and pulled the one I linked when I tried to confirm. I cannot imagine the line started that close, but it appears to have done so. Maybe Vegas was expecting the news about Meeks to tighten the line in the marketplace, and the early money snatched it up as quickly as possible.

UNC is like a box of chocolates. They melt, and you always get the crappy red filling one no matter what shape you choose.

Right, I see the 3.5 everywhere as well. What I'm saying is the typo/mistake originated in Vegas with whoever typed up the RSS feed that CBS, ESPN, etc pulls from. A single source of error that got distributed widely. I doubt, in reality, even $1 got bet on UNC -3.5.

hurleyfor3
03-11-2015, 01:10 PM
Christian Laettner on espn between fsu/clemson and unc/bc. Not a good day to be a unc fan watching espn today.

jhmoss1812
03-11-2015, 01:14 PM
If you need a reason to watch FSU/Clemson, Shane Battier is doing color for espn.

Which is why I'm watching on the ACC Network. No offense but I think Battier is the worst commentator right now. He adds absolutely nothing to the telecast.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-11-2015, 01:33 PM
Which is why I'm watching on the ACC Network. No offense but I think Battier is the worst commentator right now. He adds absolutely nothing to the telecast.

He has gotten a bit better over the season. Took Jay Williams awhile to get comfy on the mike, and now I love his analysis. I'd wager good money that Battier improves markedly in the coming year and a half.

gumbomoop
03-11-2015, 02:28 PM
Clemson rallies from 20 down to have a chance to tie on last possession. FSU does nearly everything imaginable to blow it, Clemson hits clutch 3s, Rod Hall inspired. But Tigers miss final 3. Exciting, agonizing end for Clemson.

superdave
03-11-2015, 02:31 PM
Is there a way to stream this tournament? I am on Raycom and TheACC websites and have not found anything.

Edit: Found it on The ACC

http://www.theacc.com/game-center/5489c68be4b080a515e5307f

DarkstarWahoo
03-11-2015, 02:44 PM
Clemson rallies from 20 down to have a chance to tie on last possession. FSU does nearly everything imaginable to blow it, Clemson hits clutch 3s, Rod Hall inspired. But Tigers miss final 3. Exciting, agonizing end for Clemson.

I may be just basing this all of the game where Harold Jamison beat UNC with a last-second putback dunk, but it always felt to me like the tournament was more fun when Clemson was playing over its head. I like the league better when they're having success.

Troublemaker
03-11-2015, 03:53 PM
Triple Crown. That's where this tournament is headed.

davekay1971
03-11-2015, 04:17 PM
How is BC within 12 of U*NC when Hanlan is 2-13 from the field?

Henderson
03-11-2015, 04:21 PM

-3.5 was a broken line. It happens. The sports book oddsmakers run in a pack, and someone decided early (i.e. before any bets) that -3.5 would produce equal bets on either side. Wrong. They got flooded early with bets for UNC and had to adjust the line significantly. The initial oddsmakers screwed up, and the market disciplined them. These oddsmakers are usually pretty close, but this time they got it very wrong. It happens. It could be an informational disparity. I.e.:

It may have had something to do with the Meeks question. The money might think he's playing and that he's worth 9 points. When there is money at stake, betters will camp outside the Meeks toilet effluent on the morning of a game in order to gain an informational advantage.

I'd guess Meeks is playing. I'd also guess that someone with some cash found that out after the line was established.

superdave
03-11-2015, 04:36 PM
Triple Crown. That's where this tournament is headed.

I will take a Triple Crown over beating UVa again. Any time you can pile on, you've got to take that opportunity.

But I am sadly not a believer in this Unc squad.

Henderson
03-11-2015, 04:45 PM
I will take a Triple Crown over beating UVa again. Any time you can pile on, you've got to take that opportunity.

But I am sadly not a believer in this Unc squad.

Although I don't share your sadness, I'd love a triple crown too. 11 of the last 14 is better than 10 of the last 13. And 3-for-3 is better than 2-for2.

But the idea of granting UNC-CH a chance of redemption in the ACCT final makes me queasy. When you have a boot on the throat, why give 'em another chance?

Here's the question: Is the marginal benefit of sweeping 3-for-3 sufficiently better than sweeping 2-for-2 such that it's worth risking going 2-and-1 and giving UNC-CH a conference title over Duke in the final?

Troublemaker
03-11-2015, 05:02 PM
Although I don't share your sadness, I'd love a triple crown too. 11 of the last 14 is better than 10 of the last 13. And 3-for-3 is better than 2-for2.

But the idea of granting UNC-CH a chance of redemption in the ACCT final makes me queasy. When you have a boot on the throat, why give 'em another chance?

Here's the question: Is the marginal benefit of sweeping 3-for-3 sufficiently better than sweeping 2-for-2 such that it's worth risking going 2-and-1 and giving UNC-CH a conference title over Duke in the final?

That's a great question, Hendo. I think Duke needs to be a huge favorite to beat UNC in order for it to make sense for us fans to root for a triple crown opportunity because, as you said, the status quo of a regular season sweep is already so satisfying. I would set the bar as us needing to believe that Duke would win at least 8 out of 10 tries against UNC. So, for example, in 2002, during UNC's 8-20 season, it would make sense to root for the triple crown opportunity because Duke was going to win at least 90% of the time, imo. (We didn't need to root for it that year, as it turned out; the triple crown was handed to us via tournament seeding).

This season? I think Duke is solidly better than UNC but I think we're just short of the 80% favorite status. I think we beat UNC something like 70-75% of the time. As such, I am not actively rooting for a triple crown opportunity. But if it comes up, so be it.

AustinDevil
03-11-2015, 05:28 PM
That's a great question, Hendo. I think Duke needs to be a huge favorite to beat UNC in order for it to make sense for us fans to root for a triple crown opportunity because, as you said, the status quo of a regular season sweep is already so satisfying. I would set the bar as us needing to believe that Duke would win at least 8 out of 10 tries against UNC. So, for example, in 2002, during UNC's 8-20 season, it would make sense to root for the triple crown opportunity because Duke was going to win at least 90% of the time, imo. (We didn't need to root for it that year, as it turned out; the triple crown was handed to us via tournament seeding).

This season? I think Duke is solidly better than UNC but I think we're just short of the 80% favorite status. I think we beat UNC something like 70-75% of the time. As such, I am not actively rooting for a triple crown opportunity. But if it comes up, so be it.

You would, of course, have to place odds not just on the chance of 3 wins out of 3 games in general, but on the specific scenario with Duke playing its third game in three days and UNC its fourth in four days. Our short bench at least reduces the advantage one would expect from UNC's additional game, but I'd still expect some advantage from that.

I would also want to weigh Duke's ACC title chances versus UNC versus Duke's ACC title chances versus UVa. Somewhat higher, no?

All that said, let's just focus on winning our quarterfinal for now.

Duvall
03-11-2015, 05:39 PM

Don't you need to factor in the fact that UNC is much weaker than Virginia, increasing the chances of a banner?

Marc81
03-11-2015, 07:07 PM
My wife and I are going to try to get some tickets for the remaining games from Thursday night on. Has anyone had any success with getting tickets outside the venue this year.

Ggallagher
03-11-2015, 07:14 PM
I got tickets a few days ago on Stub Hub for the Thursday night game. They also had tickets for the later sessions at that time.

Troublemaker
03-11-2015, 07:20 PM
I would also want to weigh Duke's ACC title chances versus UNC versus Duke's ACC title chances versus UVa. Somewhat higher, no?

Don't you need to factor in the fact that UNC is much weaker than Virginia, increasing the chances of a banner?

That should definitely be taken under consideration.

Hmmm, I might end up being a Heel fan on Friday. Let's see if they can get past Louisville first.

bbosbbos
03-11-2015, 07:53 PM
So we will play Packs? They are running Pitt out of the stadium.

Wahoo2000
03-11-2015, 08:01 PM
So we will play Packs? They are running Pitt out of the stadium.

Barber playing like a lottery pick in the first half. Drive looks the same as usual, but he is canning 3s and making beautiful passes (not as usual). Doubt Pitt has the offense to rally from this kind of a hole.

CoSprings
03-11-2015, 08:04 PM
How is State a 7 seed in the ACC? They have elite level talent and obviously kicked our butts in January...Not looking forward to playing them tomorrow. Hope they have a bit of a hangover and we come out with a chip on our shoulder from our previous meeting. But make no mistake, when they are playing well, they can beat just about anyone in the country.

OldPhiKap
03-11-2015, 08:11 PM
How is State a 7 seed in the ACC? They have elite level talent and obviously kicked our butts in January...Not looking forward to playing them tomorrow. Hope they have a bit of a hangover and we come out with a chip on our shoulder from our previous meeting. But make no mistake, when they are playing well, they can beat just about anyone in the country.

Up and down year, coming on at the right time.

They are gonna be a tough out for someone in the NCAA tourney.

bbosbbos
03-11-2015, 08:16 PM
We have to beat Packs tomorrow. A lose will hurt us hugely.

subzero02
03-11-2015, 08:29 PM
We have to beat Packs tomorrow. A lose will hurt us hugely.

We only have to beat 1 pack tomorrow if they win tonight.

bbosbbos
03-11-2015, 09:12 PM
Lacey and the "Cat" are really good in O. I do not know why they have so many bad loses. They match very well with us in all positions.

Philadukie
03-11-2015, 09:13 PM
We only have to beat 1 pack tomorrow if they win tonight.

I really want this game. I hope we give them a huge beat down without the RBC behind them. That game made me mad! I hope our guys come out fired up!

Furniture
03-11-2015, 09:23 PM
My wife and I are going to try to get some tickets for the remaining games from Thursday night on. Has anyone had any success with getting tickets outside the venue this year.

I used stubhub last year and got some really good tickets at a great price.I suppose it depends on the game but I watched the site for a long time watched the prices drop and bought at the last minute. Well maybe 2 hours before the start. I picked up the tickets from a nearby hotel where stubhub had taken over the place. Very easy.

Marc81
03-11-2015, 09:25 PM
I used stubhub last year and got some really good tickets at a great price.I suppose it depends on the game but I watched the site for a long time watched the prices drop and bought at the last minute. Well maybe 2 hours before the start. I picked up the tickets from a nearby hotel where stubhub had taken over the place. Very easy.

Thanks for the advice. Right now they are really high. I may try stubhub tomorrow before we go up there. Thanks. I hope the fact that nc state being a local team doesn't drive up the demand too much.

duketaylor
03-11-2015, 09:30 PM
Best method for tickets is to buy from losing alums/fans the night before. Many just want to dump tix and go home. Scalpers feed on them like vultures.
Have been to 10 ACC tourneys and seen the ticket exchanges many times. Even better is to already be in the building to catch losers leaving. With no Syracuse it should be easy.

DU82
03-11-2015, 09:33 PM
The scalpers were inside trying to grab up what they could. Not a lot of Pitt fans in the arena tonight.

dukelifer
03-11-2015, 09:38 PM
Lacey and the "Cat" are really good in O. I do not know why they have so many bad loses. They match very well with us in all positions.

Yep. This is a tough matchup for Duke. Will need to play great D to keep them from scoring at will.

dukelion
03-11-2015, 11:06 PM
This Miami VaTech game is painful.....not just to watch but to my basketball loving soul.

OldPhiKap
03-11-2015, 11:08 PM
This Miami VaTech game is painful.....not just to watch but to my basketball loving soul.

Jay Bilas called Buzz Williams a Rain Man savant earlier tonight. Which I guess he meant in a good way.

hurleyfor3
03-11-2015, 11:10 PM
I'm so bored I'm watching youtubes of early 1990s Duke games instead. This game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o31qF2n3cEM)'s a fun one.

burnspbesq
03-11-2015, 11:23 PM
They may not win, but full credit to the Hokies. They are playing their hearts out.

Wahoo2000
03-12-2015, 12:02 AM
They may not win, but full credit to the Hokies. They are playing their hearts out.

Their talent level is atrocious. If Buzz is able to recruit similarly (or better) to the way he did at Marquette, VT is going to stand for "Very Tough" in a few seasons. Next year, they'll have a couple consensus top 100 guys coming in. I also think they got Seth Allen from Maryland who will become eligible next year.

bbosbbos
03-12-2015, 12:25 PM
Wahoo are showing why they are a #1 seed. Noles is dead from the 1st few minutes.

CDu
03-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Wahoo are showing why they are a #1 seed. Noles is dead from the 1st few minutes.

Yup. Facing a completely overmatched FSU team, and it is showing.

CDu
03-12-2015, 12:38 PM
Uneventful first stint for Anderson. Really just getting his feet wet. Didn't attempt a shot, and seemed to be playing it safe out there (not really showing his right side to the defense). But, he didn't get hurt, which is the best UVa can probably hope for this week.

UVa just cruising right now against a sorely overmatched FSU squad. Really, aside from Rathan-Mayes, FSU doesn't have very good players right now.

rsvman
03-12-2015, 01:52 PM
Fla St coming back. Not over just yet

gumbomoop
03-12-2015, 02:06 PM
Every time I see a missed thunder-dumb, fairly regularly, I am inclined to wonder why so many players prefer style points to scoreboard points. Dumb FSU dumb-butt.

JasonEvans
03-12-2015, 03:03 PM
Louisville is actually scoring a bit early in the game with Carolina. When Lousiville scores, they are exceedingly difficult to beat.

Kennedy Meeks is playing, though it is not stopping Louisville from really controlling the paint thus far.

-Jason "I really want to see Ville and Virginia play again -- over/under in that game... 105, maybe 110 points?" Evans

cptnflash
03-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Ol Roy with the jacket toss!

mr. synellinden
03-12-2015, 03:13 PM
-Jason "I really want to see Ville and Virginia play again -- over/under in that game... 105, maybe 110 points?" Evans

I would take the under if it were 100.

lotusland
03-12-2015, 04:18 PM
loovul can't shoot straight. Just gonna have to out tough hose heartless heels

devildeac
03-12-2015, 04:20 PM
loovul can't shoot straight. Just gonna have to out tough hose heartless heels

The 'Ville doing a good job on the boards, too. C'mon, Cards, start pulling away.

Bob Green
03-12-2015, 04:22 PM
The refs need to T up Montrezl Harrell for his unnecessary, obnoxious hanging on the rim.

dukebluesincebirth
03-12-2015, 04:30 PM
I'm tired of seeing Kennedy Meeks smile.

devildeac
03-12-2015, 04:30 PM
Can we change the official state bird for NC?:mad:

cptnflash
03-12-2015, 04:39 PM
Abysmal execution by Louisville down the stretch.

CDu
03-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Abysmal execution by Louisville down the stretch.

Well, they are not a good offensive team. Their second half helped show why.

DukieInKansas
03-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Donkey donuts!

Wasn't sure if I could say crap or not.

eta - I guess I could.

PackMan97
03-12-2015, 04:43 PM
Pitino and Louisville are now off my Christmas card list! Frack, Frack, Frack!

jv001
03-12-2015, 05:08 PM
Well, they are not a good offensive team. Their second half helped show why.

The cheats just gave open looks to Snider and one other non-shooting dude off the bench. Of course, they threw up brick after brick. You're right CDu, Louisville is not a good offensive team. GoDuke!

CoSprings
03-12-2015, 05:35 PM
Wow. How is that kid (Snider) an ACC player? It's hard to be that bad of a shooter at this level. It testament to Pitino and their defensive prowess that Louisville has not lost 20 games this year because their offensive is atrocious and painful to watch. Please UVA, destroy Carolina tomorrow.

-jk
03-12-2015, 06:10 PM
Wow. How is that kid (Snider) an ACC player? It's hard to be that bad of a shooter at this level. It testament to Pitino and their defensive prowess that Louisville has not lost 20 games this year because their offensive is atrocious and painful to watch. Please UVA, destroy Carolina tomorrow.

I guess you never saw Billy King shoot.

-jk

sagegrouse
03-12-2015, 06:21 PM
I guess you never saw Billy King shoot.

-jk

Or Jackie Manuel of UNC.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-12-2015, 06:23 PM
UNC executed better in the late game. Still not really good, but better and enough to hold off Louisville in this one.

The big news? Brice Johnson may finally be understanding he needs to play more physical, at least he did today. I noted that he would actually initiate some body contact defensively with Montrezl to try and deny him his chosen spot on the floor. He didn't back off contact, he went to him and put his chest to him. Brice Johnson used his body, got into Montrezl's space...better. That's a big step forward for him, even though Montrezl is so strong he struggled to hold him off, he at least tried to play stronger today and the confidence he developed helped him have a big game.

He still picked up some reaching fouls that he has to stop committing, but he played tough out there and held his own against some grown men inside.

Brice was the difference in this one, soft Brice left the building, I thought he played very well.

The whole team looked to have a tougher mindset today. Jame's strength defensively inside set a tone early that Louisville was not going to push UNC around.

I think it rubbed off on Tokoto too. His effort was the best I've seen from him in awhile. He still refused to take some opportunities to get to the rim, and aggressively take his open looks, but his defense was really good except for his not so smart reaching on a couple of fouls...and he rebounded strong.
Nice move by Roy to have him crash the boards and have Jackson's priority the transition players.

Roy has UNC playing better at the right time. Hopefully some of these injury/sickness issues can be settled before the big dance.

-jk
03-12-2015, 06:38 PM
UNC executed better in the late game. Still not really good, but better and enough to hold off Louisville in this one.

The big news? Brice Johnson may finally be understanding he needs to play more physical, at least he did today. I noted that he would actually initiate some body contact defensively with Montrezl to try and deny him his chosen spot on the floor. He didn't back off contact, he went to him and put his chest to him. Brice Johnson used his body, got into Montrezl's space...better. That's a big step forward for him, even though Montrezl is so strong he struggled to hold him off, he at least tried to play stronger today and the confidence he developed helped him have a big game.

He still picked up some reaching fouls that he has to stop committing, but he played tough out there and held his own against some grown men inside.

Brice was the difference in this one, soft Brice left the building, I thought he played very well.

The whole team looked to have a tougher mindset today. Jame's strength defensively inside set a tone early that Louisville was not going to push UNC around.

I think it rubbed off on Tokoto too. His effort was the best I've seen from him in awhile. He still refused to take some opportunities to get to the rim, and aggressively take his open looks, but his defense was really good except for his not so smart reaching on a couple of fouls...and he rebounded strong.
Nice move by Roy to have him crash the boards and have Jackson's priority the transition players.

Roy has UNC playing better at the right time. Hopefully some of these injury/sickness issues can be settled before the big dance.

Small nit: there is no "reaching" foul! </high horse>

-jk

Bob Green
03-12-2015, 06:45 PM
Carolina grabbed 11 rebounds to Louisville's three over the last seven minutes of the game:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=400768341&period=2

I have to give credit where credit is due, the Tar Heels pounded the glass when it counted.

devildeac
03-12-2015, 06:56 PM
Carolina grabbed 11 rebounds to Louisville's three over the last seven minutes of the game:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=400768341&period=2

I have to give credit where credit is due, the Tar Heels pounded the glass when it counted.

My wife read the post game summary in the N&O blog which noted 'Ville missed 15 of their last 17 shots:mad:. That's not just bad offensive efficiency, that's YMCA middle school league bad.

dukelifer
03-12-2015, 09:41 PM
Miami playing like State and Notre Dame playing like Duke. This could get ugly for Miami quick.

Henderson
03-12-2015, 10:01 PM
Roy has UNC playing better at the right time.

Well, if Roy is responsible for that, it's only fair that he be held responsible for the team's underperformance for so much of the season. Can't give him credit for relatively better play in the last couple games without casting blame on him for so much of the rest of the season. So "They played poorly" becomes "Roy had them playing poorly."

Ultrarunner
03-12-2015, 10:46 PM
Well, if Roy is responsible for that, it's only fair that he be held responsible for the team's underperformance for so much of the season. Can't give him credit for relatively better play in the last couple games without casting blame on him for so much of the rest of the season. So "They played poorly" becomes "Roy had them playing poorly."

While I don't think much of Roy or his coaching, the 'Heels are (maybe!) playing better. They are (maybe!) developing, much in the same way that Duke is progressing. I'm not willing to blame Roy for all the early season woes, just as I don't pin the NCST and Miami losses to Coach K's chest. Both are coaching and motivating young men who are still in various stages of development.

Where I disagree with Wheat is the statement that Roy has them playing better. I'm not so sure that's true. 6-6 over the last dozen games doesn't support his argument particularly well. Hence, the (maybe!)s.

devildeac
03-12-2015, 10:53 PM
Miami has cut ND lead to 6 with 11:13 to go, outscoring them 13-1 to start second half.

hurleyfor3
03-12-2015, 10:54 PM
ND is literally figuratively barfing in the gutter.

dukelifer
03-12-2015, 10:54 PM
Miami on some kind of run. They are making it interesting. Notre Dame players feeling the late game now- can't hit anything.

brevity
03-12-2015, 10:55 PM
Miami has cut ND lead to 6 with 11:13 to go, outscoring them 13-1 to start second half.

And the DBR chat room is still open, where I am practicing my monologuing skills.

devildeac
03-12-2015, 11:06 PM
And the DBR chat room is still open, where I am practicing my monologuing skills.

At least you are having an intelligent conversation.

brevity
03-12-2015, 11:08 PM

At least you are having an intelligent conversation.

I'm really not.

dukelifer
03-12-2015, 11:10 PM
Miami leading- wow

dukelifer
03-12-2015, 11:11 PM
Miami leading- wow

For a second

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-12-2015, 11:18 PM
Jay sure does love to comment on fouls. It's getting to be a real turn off.

tbyers11
03-12-2015, 11:24 PM
Jay sure does love to comment on fouls. It's getting to be a real turn off.

Generally agree, but that 4th foul on Jekiri was a joke and deserved comment and actually more scorn than Jay gave it. Jackson totally slipped and fell without Jekiri even touching him. That was a bad, bad call.

dukelifer
03-12-2015, 11:26 PM
Great comeback but not going to happen. At least Notre Dame had to work for the win.

jv001
03-13-2015, 07:05 AM
Generally agree, but that 4th foul on Jekiri was a joke and deserved comment and actually more scorn than Jay gave it. Jackson totally slipped and fell without Jekiri even touching him. That was a bad, bad call.

Is that you Stephen A. ?? :cool: GoDuke!

TruBlu
03-13-2015, 07:59 PM
At halftime, UNC leads UVA 11 - 9 (in the turnover fest)

They also unfortunately lead on the scoreboard 30 -23.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2015, 08:24 PM
Heels looking really good.

TruBlu
03-13-2015, 08:34 PM
Heels looking really good.

I hope you are talking about their basketball skills and not their looks.:p

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2015, 08:36 PM
I hope you are talking about their basketball skills and not their looks.:p

Well, I am not partial to pudgy big men and weird mohawks, so.....

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2015, 08:48 PM
I think the Heels are gonna be waiting for us. Let's go take care of business.

jipops
03-13-2015, 08:51 PM
Hopefully we win tonight but I very much dread a 3rd matchup with the cheats.

jwillfan
03-13-2015, 09:01 PM
down to 3 with 4 min to go. Kevin White took a charge when Brice Johnson hurdled the end line table.

TruBlu
03-13-2015, 09:05 PM
Brice Johnson just hurdled some spectators chasing a loose ball, knocking over Duke AD Kevin White. Jay Bilas called it a block on Kevin White.

NancyCarol
03-13-2015, 09:06 PM
Heels falling apart

subzero02
03-13-2015, 09:19 PM
What are the 1 seed implications with a gimpy but presumed to soon be healthy Anderson?

gurufrisbee
03-13-2015, 09:25 PM
Crap. I really wanted NC to lose that one.

jipops
03-13-2015, 09:31 PM
And to think people on this board were speculating that Roy was done. I don't see how that is possible with the luxury of so much talent and likely the top team in the conference next season.

Marc81
03-13-2015, 09:33 PM
Crap. I really wanted NC to lose that one.

Yeah I was really hoping to play Virginia. I would think this would make tickets harder to come by. We went up there earlier and were unable to get any at a decent price.

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 09:34 PM
You had one job, UVA

moonpie23
03-13-2015, 09:35 PM
i just tuned in at the very last 3.2 seconds......they showed a replay of paige hitting some shot....looked like he traveled....

dukelifer
03-13-2015, 09:35 PM
You had one job, UVA

They looked tired. No one other than Brogdon stepped up

FerryFor50
03-13-2015, 09:38 PM
i just tuned in at the very last 3.2 seconds......they showed a replay of paige hitting some shot....looked like he traveled....

Every time I tuned in, I saw him carry/palm and not get called. So I would just turn the channel.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-13-2015, 10:12 PM
UNC played their best defensive game of the season tonight against uva. Active with good passing lane anticipation all night.

Offensively, they moved the ball well and were patient to get good shots.

Jackson was really good tonight, on both ends of the floor. He drained his open looks but also put the ball on the floor, and put pressure on the defense, and I was impressed with his activity defensively. He was tireless out there. He looked confident and aggressive from the start. He's a tough matchup for wings at 6'8 when he gets the room to operate...which he had because UNC was better with their spacing in this one.

Paige looked quick the first half, you can tell he's feeling much better. Second half he started to slow some, mainly from all the defensive effort he was giving. He left it all out there. But that kid can play and showed it in crunch time. It's nice to have a player like him to settle the team late.

Excellent effort by Tokoto defensively. Still scratch my head concerning his offensive decisions.

Meeks was stronger defensively than many nights, and wags big on the boards. He didn't allow post guys to back him down as easily as he did Okafor in the last Duke game. He held his ground. Much better effort from him every play.

Johnson wasn't as strong defensively as last night, but he was active and confident. Lost his focus a couple of times, but stepped up and made some big FT's when it mattered most. That will help his confidence moving forward.

James is bringing some defensive strength. He moves the ball on offense and sets some good screens during his minutes. His teammates have to do a better job of not passing to him in crowded situations where he tends to tighten up. His minutes are valuable to rest Meeks and Johnson and make post players work harder inside for position. He's a big man out there...and his play is important to this team.

Great job by Roy having this team ready to step up against a very good team. He out coached Bennett in this one and had UVA reacting to UNC's play all night.

Props to Brogdon on a strong second half. He's a really good player and single handedly carried UVA into a position of having an opportunity to win late.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2015, 10:19 PM
UNC played their best defensive game of the season tonight against uva. Active with good passing lane anticipation all night.

Offensively, they moved the ball well and were patient to get good shots.

Jackson was really good tonight, on both ends of the floor. He drained his open looks but also put the ball on the floor, and put pressure on the defense, and I was impressed with his activity defensively. He was tireless out there. He looked confident and aggressive from the start. He's a tough matchup for wings at 6'8 when he gets the room to operate...which he had because UNC was better with their spacing in this one.

Paige looked quick the first half, you can tell he's feeling much better. Second half he started to slow some, mainly from all the defensive effort he was giving. He left it all out there. But that kid can play and showed it in crunch time. It's nice to have a player like him to settle the team late.

Excellent effort by Tokoto defensively. Still scratch my head concerning his offensive decisions.

Meeks was stronger defensively than many nights, and wags big on the boards. He didn't allow post guys to back him down as easily as he did Okafor in the last Duke game. He held his ground. Much better effort from him every play.

Johnson wasn't as strong defensively as last night, but he was active and confident. Lost his focus a couple of times, but stepped up and made some big FT's when it mattered most. That will help his confidence moving forward.

James is bringing some defensive strength. He moves the ball on offense and sets some good screens during his minutes. His teammates have to do a better job of not passing to him in crowded situations where he tends to tighten up. His minutes are valuable to rest Meeks and Johnson and make post players work harder inside for position. He's a big man out there...and his play is important to this team.

Great job by Roy having this team ready to step up against a very good team. He out coached Bennett in this one and had UVA reacting to UNC's play all night.

Props to Brogdon on a strong second half. He's a really good player and single handedly carried UVA into a position of having an opportunity to win late.

You guys took care of business and held off a good UVa charge. Congrats. Hope we get our heads out of out rears and meet you tomorrow.

jipops
03-14-2015, 12:15 AM

Therrrrrrre it is. Got to get that little narrative in.

Funny you say this type of thing after every big win, but Roy is never out-coached when they lose. Hmmmm.

gofurman
03-14-2015, 12:59 AM

Funny you say this type of thing after every big win, but Roy is never out-coached when they lose. Hmmmm.

I defend wheat but at least some credit goes to Justin Anderson being hurt. I think UNC loses if Anderson is even 70%. That's a huuuuge loss for UVA. They haven't been the same since. Hope he is better by NCAA time for them. UNC wins close without a healthy Anderson for UVA? But that's the game

I mean all those pro-UNC points and not a single mention of janderson being hurt? I wager Anderson plays at 100% UVA wins. Merits a mention.

Just like Paige. Healthy he is a totally difft player. UNC is scary w a healthy Paige

jipops
03-14-2015, 01:11 AM
I defend wheat but at least some credit goes to Justin Anderson being hurt. I think UNC loses if Anderson is even 70%. That's a huuuuge loss for UVA. They haven't been the same since. Hope he is better by NCAA time for them. UNC wins close without a healthy Anderson for UVA? But that's the game

I mean all those pro-UNC points and not a single mention of janderson being hurt? I wager Anderson plays at 100% UVA wins. Merits a mention.

Just like Paige. Healthy he is a totally difft player. UNC is scary w a healthy Paige

UVA also struggled against Louisville last week. This isn't the same team we watched a month ago. UVA clearly misses his perimeter shooting and D. They aren't going in to the tournament playing their best ball. But the cheats are a very talented team. They may have still won facing a healthy Anderson, maybe not. We'll never know, doesn't matter.

Can you imagine the big todo if a unc player had an appendectomy? I thought Meeks was getting up from his death bed just to play in the tournament.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-14-2015, 07:49 AM

Somebody needs to point out that he can coach, because he rarely gets a fair shake around here.

jipops
03-14-2015, 08:13 AM
Somebody needs to point out that he can coach, because he rarely gets a fair shake around here.

So you over compensate?

The heels will likely get their acc title today. And I'm willing to bet much of the credit will go to Roy's coaching while he should of course get no blame for the 10 losses.

Kind of a dumb argument because coaching can be so over valued anyways.

jv001
03-14-2015, 08:23 AM
So you over compensate?

The heels will likely get their acc title today. And I'm willing to bet much of the credit will go to Roy's coaching while he should of course get no blame for the 10 losses.

So far the best part of this ACCT is the various poses that old roy has taken during the Cheats' games. He's been sitting flat on the floor, he's been leaning way back in his seat, he's been on his knees, he's been squatting. My wife had some of her friends over last night and they were watching the game. They couldn't control themselves laughing at him. They wondered when he was just going to lay down on the sidelines. Roy missed his calling, he should have been a comedian and not a college bb coach. GoDuke!

Wheat/"/"/"
03-14-2015, 08:45 AM
So far the best part of this ACCT is the various poses that old roy has taken during the Cheats' games. He's been sitting flat on the floor, he's been leaning way back in his seat, he's been on his knees, he's been squatting. My wife had some of her friends over last night and they were watching the game. They couldn't control themselves laughing at him. They wondered when he was just going to lay down on the sidelines. Roy missed his calling, he should have been a comedian and not a college bb coach. GoDuke!

His problem with vertigo is well documented. Many of his "poses" are the result of the dizziness he deals with in big emotional games.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-14-2015, 08:50 AM
So you over compensate?

No blame? Really?

Roy is probably one of the most criticized coaches in America.

He's taken a team with lots of talented parts and put them together to play for an ACC Championship.

You don't have to like him, but you should respect him.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-14-2015, 08:53 AM

Roy said as much that UNC was fortunate because UVA was not at 100%.

But we've played at less than 100% quite a bit too. It's all part of the game and why teams need a deep bench.

MarkD83
03-14-2015, 08:55 AM
So you over compensate?

I will side with Wheat here a little bit. The point of the season is to win championships. A win today and the 10 losses don't mean a thing. In addition, Roy's post game comments were a bit snarky since he said something like "my team is still playing." I may not like that comment but it tells me he and his team have a chip on their shoulder. Meaning they have something to prove and that makes for a dangerous team.

Duke had something to prove against NCSU...Notre Dame had something to prove against Duke...and UNC had something to prove against UVA. I hope Notre Dame comes out with a chip on their shoulder and wants to prove they are ACC champs.

jipops
03-14-2015, 08:59 AM
I will side with Wheat here a little bit. The point of the season is to win championships. A win today and the 10 losses don't mean a thing. In addition, Roy's post game comments were a bit snarky since he said something like "my team is still playing." I may not like that comment but it tells me he and his team have a chip on their shoulder. Meaning they have something to prove and that makes for a dangerous team.

Duke had something to prove against NCSU...Notre Dame had something to prove against Duke...and UNC had something to prove against UVA. I hope Notre Dame comes out with a chip on their shoulder and wants to prove they are ACC champs.

I don't disagree with this actually, except saying that regular season games have no meaning. I'm not quite sure what you're siding with.

MarkD83
03-14-2015, 09:46 AM
I don't disagree with this actually, except saying that regular season games have no meaning. I'm not quite sure what you're siding with.

If unc wins Roy will be judged as having a great coaching year because they are acc champs. If they lose he had a bad year with double digit losses

brevity
03-14-2015, 11:21 AM

So you over compensate?

Not sure why Wheat is required to be impartial when none of us are held to that standard.

jipops
03-14-2015, 12:21 PM
No blame? Really?

He's taken a team with lots of talented parts and put them together to play for an ACC Championship.

He is criticized for his various antics, not his coaching. Well, maybe except for mismanaging some possessions in tight games, but every coach stumbles now and then.

Given all that has come to light, what should I actually respect about Roy?

The real credit goes to unc's players. They have toughened up and realized their potential at the perfect time. Also helps to hit outside shots. This is on them, not a coach.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2015, 12:35 PM
No blame? Really?

Gotta agree with Wheat here - if you are going to fault Roy for mismanagement of the losses, you are somewhat obligated to give him credit for his success last night.

UNC came in with a better defensive plan last night than UVa did last night - and that's really saying something.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2015, 12:38 PM
He is criticized for his various antics, not his coaching. Well, maybe except for mismanaging some possessions in tight games, but every coach stumbles now and then.

Given all that has come to light, what should I actually respect about Roy?

The real credit goes to unc's players. They have toughened up and realized their potential at the perfect time. Also helps to hit outside shots. This is on them, not a coach.

I suspect you have rather selective reading here. There's been TONS of discussion over Roy's limitations as an in-game coach - strange substitutions, lack of ball movement, time out conservation, defensive assignments, etc. I'd argue that a large part of how Duke was able to prevail over UNC in the two close games was our coaching advantage.

jipops
03-14-2015, 12:44 PM
Gotta agree with Wheat here - if you are going to fault Roy for mismanagement of the losses, you are somewhat obligated to give him credit for his success last night.

UNC came in with a better defensive plan last night than UVa did last night - and that's really saying something.

I'm not faulting on Roy. I'm wondering why Wheat as a unc fan is so quick to credit Roy but only mention players' faults in losses. That's the pattern that I called out. I myself am not faulting Roy for the losses or giving him loads of credit in wins.

jv001
03-14-2015, 12:53 PM
His problem with vertigo is well documented. Many of his "poses" are the result of the dizziness he deals with in big emotional games.

I hope that his problem with vertigo improves but I wonder if part of his problem is the pressure of the academic fraud that took place at unc. I'm not taking anything away from your team. They played very well last night and they deserved to win. But I'm not happy they won. GoDuke!

jipops
03-14-2015, 12:57 PM
I suspect you have rather selective reading here. There's been TONS of discussion over Roy's limitations as an in-game coach - strange substitutions, lack of ball movement, time out conservation, defensive assignments, etc. I'd argue that a large part of how Duke was able to prevail over UNC in the two close games was our coaching advantage.

I don't think we won as a result of a coaching advantage in that 2nd game. We won because our guys made plays and theirs didn't.

jipops
03-14-2015, 01:07 PM
Not sure why Wheat is required to be impartial when none of us are held to that standard.

Great point, we should be. But it's not like K hasn't gotten his fair share of criticism on this board either, fair or not.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2015, 01:12 PM
I don't think we won as a result of a coaching advantage in that 2nd game. We won because our guys made plays and theirs didn't.

That's all well and good - but Roy got killed on this board and in other venues for his coaching in those games. I also don't care much one way or the other - my only point is that is seems disingenuous to beat up on Roy after losses and not give him credit after wins.

Having said all that - I thought they came out ready to to play and I give Roy credit for that part. Was he responsible for Justin Jackson's shooting? Of course not. Did tell them to keep running inside/outside to get Jackson the ball when he was hot? Yes.

I wouldn't trade him for K in any capacity.

#1Duke
03-14-2015, 01:34 PM
I hope that his problem with vertigo improves but I wonder if part of his problem is the pressure of the academic fraud that took place at unc. I'm not taking anything away from your team. They played very well last night and they deserved to win. But I'm not happy they won. GoDuke!

I don't know to what degree the academic fraud weighs on Roy's mind but I would be willing to bet that Roy losing his best friend and then losing Dean Smith ( 2 very important people in his life) weighs/weighed heavily on him these last couple of months. It seems that Roy has had his fair share of distractions to deal with.

His vertigo has been an ongoing problem for years.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2015, 01:53 PM
I don't know to what degree the academic fraud weighs on Roy's mind but I would be willing to bet that Roy losing his best friend and then losing Dean Smith ( 2 very important people in his life) weighs/weighed heavily on him these last couple of months. It seems that Roy has had his fair share of distractions to deal with.

His vertigo has been an ongoing problem for years.

If you look at Roy from 18 months ago and Roy today, it looks like he has aged ten years.

jipops
03-14-2015, 02:04 PM
That's all well and good - but Roy got killed on this board and in other venues for his coaching in those games. I also don't care much one way or the other - my only point is that is seems disingenuous to beat up on Roy after losses and not give him credit after wins.

I agree completely, and maybe the losses haven't been his fault either. Conversely, I certainly have not beat him up over them so why would I take Wheat's demand to give him credit on the wins. Coaches help, but players ultimately win or lose games. Period. And the heels' players are clicking right now largely as a result of talent and culminating experience. They're back to playing the defense the way they played around the beginning of the season where they were hovering around top 10 in defensive efficiency. Combine that with guys now hitting perimeter shots, I'd say they are the favorite to win today and make a big run in the tournament. This is on the players with the aid of being an experienced lineup. Let's give these guys some credit.

Having said all that - I thought they came out ready to to play and I give Roy credit for that part. Was he responsible for Justin Jackson's shooting? Of course not. Did tell them to keep running inside/outside to get Jackson the ball when he was hot? Yes.

I wouldn't trade him for K in any capacity.

Yea it must have been a good call to get Justin the ball when he was hot. But not exactly rocket surgery right? :) I mean, this isn't a strategy that is unique.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-14-2015, 07:16 PM
I agree completely, and maybe the losses haven't been his fault either. Conversely, I certainly have not beat him up over them so why would I take Wheat's demand to give him credit on the wins. Coaches help, but players ultimately win or lose games. Period. And the heels' players are clicking right now largely as a result of talent and culminating experience. They're back to playing the defense the way they played around the beginning of the season where they were hovering around top 10 in defensive efficiency. Combine that with guys now hitting perimeter shots, I'd say they are the favorite to win today and make a big run in the tournament. This is on the players with the aid of being an experienced lineup. Let's give these guys some credit.

Yea it must have been a good call to get Justin the ball when he was hot. But not exactly rocket surgery right? :) I mean, this isn't a strategy that is unique.

I'm not sure where you get that I ever demanded anything....but we are not that far apart. I've always been one to put the responsibility of play on the players once the ball is tipped.

With that said, coaches do have their role. They set the line ups and dictate the style of play. They motivate, and they educate. Some do some of those things better than others.

Roy has had to fix a lot of issues with this team, some are still a work in progress. One thing I think he has done a great job with is playing deep in his lineup to have experienced options now at tourney time. His patience with a player like James should be noted. James now recognizes his role and has the confidence of his team-mates when he's in. He's providing strong post defense, solid screening and is a threat inside if teams don't guard him during his limited minutes to rest the starters.

Roy recognized early in the season that he would need his size at times in the late season and he played him, coached him, through some less than stellar performances. Now James is a small, but valuable asset to this team.

That's good coaching and all I'm doing is pointing that out. Take it with a grain of salt if you like.

dukelifer
03-14-2015, 07:28 PM

UNC is a dangerous team. They are not perfect but there is talent there and if Paige and Jackson continue to hit- they can make a big run. They beat one possible number 1 seed- had another possible 1 down by 10 with 3 minutes to go and have seen KY. They are battle tested for sure and no one is expecting much from them. I would not count them out to get to the FF. The hope is that ND sets them back. A tourney win will give them a boatload of confidence.

lotusland
03-14-2015, 08:40 PM
No chat tonight?

Dukehky
03-14-2015, 08:42 PM
No chat tonight?

No, because who gives a...

lotusland
03-14-2015, 08:51 PM
No, because who gives a...
I have a rooting interest in the outcome

lotusland
03-14-2015, 09:01 PM
Heels shredded Colson. Auguste can't sit long tonight.

lotusland
03-14-2015, 09:33 PM
Irish in good shape at the half except for the 3 fouls on Grant. Hopefully they continue to get killed on the glass in the second half.

FerryFor50
03-14-2015, 09:36 PM
Irish in good shape at the half except for the 3 fouls on Grant. Hopefully they continue to get killed on the glass in the second half.

This post confuses me.

Who are you pulling for?

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-14-2015, 09:46 PM
The Irish must wish they could play two first halfs. They have a clear aversion to the second half.

FerryFor50
03-14-2015, 09:48 PM
Two turnovers in a row. Same two ND players. Same spot on the floor. The fix is in.

lotusland
03-14-2015, 09:50 PM
This post confuses me.

Who are you pulling for?
Meant hopefully they don't continue to get killed on the boards

rsvman
03-14-2015, 09:52 PM
Second-half score so far? 9-0 UNC.

Make it stop!

MarkD83
03-14-2015, 09:52 PM
Just got back from taking my daughter to a movie. I thought the ACC tournament ended yesterday. What is everyone chatting about?

FerryFor50
03-14-2015, 09:53 PM
Second-half score so far? 9-0 UNC.

Make it stop!

Don't worry. I turned the channel. Things should get better now.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-14-2015, 09:54 PM
ND looks absolutely befuddled. Lotta lotta dribbling around.

jv001
03-14-2015, 10:00 PM
ND looks absolutely befuddled. Lotta lotta dribbling around.

Same old story, beat Duke and next game lay and egg. I think I've seen enough. Good night Dick. GoDuke!

subzero02
03-14-2015, 10:06 PM
If the tar heels hold and win, will this be the only banner that remains from the Roy Williams era at unc?

_Gary
03-14-2015, 10:07 PM
Same old story, beat Duke and next game lay and egg.

I'd have fallen down in a fit of surprise if it had gone any other way, especially with UNC being the beneficiary.

jipops
03-14-2015, 10:13 PM
It's clear that the heels are the better team tonight

subzero02
03-14-2015, 10:15 PM
Go Irish...

_Gary
03-14-2015, 10:16 PM
It's clear that the heels are the better team tonight

Better... Luckier... Whatever... :p

downeastdad
03-14-2015, 10:19 PM
Don't quit yet, Irish fans (hole haters)

rsvman
Don't write off ND just yet. Shooting is reverting to the mean.

subzero02
67-64 Notre Dame after a flurry of 3's