PDA

View Full Version : The Legacy of Speedo Guy

Tom B.
03-07-2015, 10:49 AM
Davidson had their own Speedo Guy show up at their game earlier this week against VCU. Unfortunately, it sounds like the arena security personnel weren't amused, as they made him get dressed and leave.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/mens-basketball/article12783491.html

duketaylor
03-07-2015, 11:19 AM
Does anyone still have "Speedo Guy" on video from our unc game of the past? I have a still photo, somewhere. Might try to find it before gametime and post.

zoroaster
03-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Does anyone still have "Speedo Guy" on video from our unc game of the past? I have a still photo, somewhere. Might try to find it before gametime and post.

ESPN actually had a profile on Speedo Guy (he's actually a pastor now).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PEXG0mZKcw

Henderson
03-07-2015, 12:11 PM
If you could make a difference on a couple foul shots, would you wear a speedo to a game?

I love college basketball, but there are limits.

Y'all should be thankful I feel that way.

P.S. If you're going to "enhance" your speedo look, remember that the potato goes in the front.

Native
03-07-2015, 01:10 PM
If you could make a difference on a couple foul shots, would you wear a speedo to a game?

I'm sure I would have were it not, quote-unquote, "banned".

davekay1971
03-07-2015, 02:16 PM

I love college basketball, but there are limits.

Y'all should be thankful I feel that way.

P.S. If you're going to "enhance" your speedo look, remember that the potato goes in the front.

Throw the potato in the back and bend over if you really want to make the shooter miss...

brevity
03-07-2015, 02:36 PM

Most disturbing use of a potato ever.

Throw the potato in the back and bend over if you really want to make the shooter miss...

I stand corrected.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-07-2015, 02:53 PM
Speedo Guy got a shout-out in the CBS Morning News segment today about the Distraction Curtain.

weezie
03-07-2015, 03:31 PM
... the Distraction Curtain.

From my lofty perch I have decreed that the so-called distraction curtain is lame. Speedo Guy was a spectacular move of brilliance and he didn't need any forced props. The curtain is cheating.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-07-2015, 03:44 PM
From my lofty perch I have decreed that the so-called distraction curtain is lame. Speedo Guy was a spectacular move of brilliance and he didn't need any forced props. The curtain is cheating.

I rather enjoyed the piece on the Distraction Curtain. I hadn't spent much time considering it before, though I had certainly heard quite a bit regarding it. Seems like it's students being creative, which I support. But, yes, beyond what I would consider to be sporting of them.

I suppose it's a question of taste. I feel it's a bit further down the slope that I would like to see employed at Cameron, but I'm also not a fan of the music during time outs or a 15/16 team conference tournament that starts on... Tuesday? Jeez.

Dukehky
03-07-2015, 04:48 PM
I rather enjoyed the piece on the Distraction Curtain. I hadn't spent much time considering it before, though I had certainly heard quite a bit regarding it. Seems like it's students being creative, which I support. But, yes, beyond what I would consider to be sporting of them.

I suppose it's a question of taste. I feel it's a bit further down the slope that I would like to see employed at Cameron, but I'm also not a fan of the music during time outs or a 15/16 team conference tournament that starts on... Tuesday? Jeez.

It's Arizona State, the only reason to go to the games is to see Herb's face get red and see what's behind the curtain. I think that it's hilarious. I wouldn't mind it at Duke if we had invented it, but there was never the chance because there isn't enough room (never do it now, no copy catting). Ever.

captmojo
03-08-2015, 01:30 PM
If you're going to "enhance" your speedo look, remember that the potato goes in the front.

Most disturbing use of a potato ever.

I stand corrected.

I'll have rice. Thank you.

Henderson
03-08-2015, 01:36 PM

I don't know about "lame" or "cheating", but I do agree that the curtain is a bit much. It makes for great theater, student excitement and lots of laughs, so there's all that. But I think I draw the line at the use of infrastructure.

OldPhiKap
03-08-2015, 01:46 PM
It's Arizona State, the only reason to go to the games is to see Herb's face get red and see what's behind the curtain. I think that it's hilarious. I wouldn't mind it at Duke if we had invented it, but there was never the chance because there isn't enough room (never do it now, no copy catting). Ever.

I'll say this. I met a lot of Az.St. fans at the Sun Bowl, and they were all great. And they all hate U.Az. with a passion. I think they could have a fine program, and they liked to talk hoops (maybe because they only know Duke for hoops and not pigskin, not sure, but knowledgeable folks).

I came away a Sun Devil fan, love to see them showing up at games and being creative. Can't vouch for taste or content. But if they got a coach with an exciting brand of ball (sorry, Herb) they could be an oasis in the Southwest.