PDA

View Full Version : Help! How can I start watching the game after it's started (without dvr)?

NovaScotian
03-06-2015, 05:29 PM
so the wife and i are going to a miracle berry party and are likely going to miss the beginning of the game on saturday. but it's the big game! and we can't miss even one moment! but this is the miracle berry, and opportunities to eat lemons like they're apples don't often come along.
so normally this wouldn't be a problem if we had dvr, but since we're young and don't have cable, we've been using watchespn. our question is: is there a way, using watchespn, to start a game that is already in progress from the beginning? are there other (legal or otherwise) alternatives for such streaming? we are very hopeful, and would be very grateful for your advice on this matter.
GTHC! 9F!

BigWayne
03-06-2015, 08:03 PM
watchespn/espn3 will not work for what you want. It will force you to live views during the game. The replay, where you can move back and forth and pause, is not generally available until about 30 minutes after the game ends.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-06-2015, 08:09 PM
I've had watchespn playing on my phone under a dinner table or two. Just sayin...

JetpackJesus
03-06-2015, 08:21 PM
I have never been able to start a game already in progress from the beginning with WatchESPN. WatchESPN does have replays of games available after they conclude. From the WatchESPN FAQ:

Will replays still be available on ESPN3?
Yes, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews and ESPN Deportes replays will continue to be made available on ESPN3. Replays will be accessible as early as immediately after the conclusion of the event and no later than 2:30 a.m. ET that evening.

So one option is to miss the entire game, avoid the internet and spoliery text messages like the plague, and watch the replay on ESPN3/WatchESPN later that night.

You could also watch the game on the WatchESPN App on your smartphone (if you have one) while at the party. This is what I do at work for weekday games, but I am unfamiliar with miracle berry party etiquette (and miracle berries).

The only other thing I can think of is leaving the party early enough to catch the whole game (or skipping it entirely).

BigWayne
03-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Will replays still be available on ESPN3?
Yes, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNews and ESPN Deportes replays will continue to be made available on ESPN3. Replays will be accessible as early as immediately after the conclusion of the event and no later than 2:30 a.m. ET that evening.

Yep. Sometimes it takes more than the usual 30 minutes to come on. Have had to restart the browser a few times also.

MChambers
03-06-2015, 09:07 PM
But dump the wife and watch it live? You can always find a new wife.

-jk
03-06-2015, 09:22 PM
TuneIn Radio has Bob Harris' broadcasts live. Just a discrete earbud...

-jk

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-06-2015, 09:28 PM
TuneIn Radio has Bob Harris' broadcasts live. Just a discrete earbud...

-jk
And perhaps a stylish ski hat... it's expected to be a cold night.

NovaScotian
03-07-2015, 06:45 AM
well, crap. thanks for the feedback everyone. is there perhaps a kind soul out there who has an online dvr we could possibly use? we would be forever grateful, and happy to return the favor in full.

OldPhiKap
03-07-2015, 07:33 AM
Four words:

"Hot tub time machine"

wgl1228
03-07-2015, 07:57 AM
Do you have rewind capabilities on your box? When you rewind can you rewind to when you turned the channel on (Directv lets you do it)? If you have a digital box with rewind capabilities, leave it on and on ESPN. When you get home hit rewind on your remote to the beginning of game.