PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke @ "u"ncch (Sat 9PM EST, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

hurleyfor3
03-06-2015, 08:54 AM
Here we go again...

TKG
03-06-2015, 08:58 AM
Today's Raleigh N&O, on line edition, has a picture of Hanstravel on the front page. On the front page of the Sports section both Dean Smith and Sancho Panza ( er, Bill Gutheridge) are pictured. Good lord.

hurleyfor3
03-06-2015, 08:59 AM
Today's Raleigh N&O

You mean the T&H (Tar & Heel)?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-06-2015, 09:04 AM
I think this game sets a tone for what our March will be like. I'd like to assume that we just set that tone against Wake, but if we come out like a house on fire against the Heels tomorrow, I don't think anyone will be itching to play us this month.

We opened very strong against them in Durham a few weeks ago and let them back into the game. Let's drop the hammer on them this time around.

Anyone have ankle updates?

OldPhiKap
03-06-2015, 09:12 AM
i would expect another battle from end to end. Both teams are coming off very impressive performances, both teams are playing well.

Plus, it may be the last Duke-Carolina game with the 2005 banner still hanging in the rafters. Historic game.

Let's Go DUKE!

bbosbbos
03-06-2015, 09:14 AM
I will be very busy tomorrow for work. Hopefully I can watch the game.

9F9F9F

ChillinDuke
03-06-2015, 09:47 AM
I think this game sets a tone for what our March will be like. I'd like to assume that we just set that tone against Wake, but if we come out like a house on fire against the Heels tomorrow, I don't think anyone will be itching to play us this month.

We opened very strong against them in Durham a few weeks ago and let them back into the game. Let's drop the hammer on them this time around.

Anyone have ankle updates?

While I certainly hope this game sets the tone, Duke v Carolina I doubt has much correlation/tone-setting to anything. It's its own beast.

i would expect another battle from end to end. Both teams are coming off very impressive performances, both teams are playing well.

Plus, it may be the last Duke-Carolina game with the 2005 banner still hanging in the rafters. Historic game.

Let's Go DUKE!

Agreed. Plus it's Duke-Carolina. Even if the teams weren't playing well or were coming off poor performances, I would expect a battle end to end.

Maybe we can hang the banner once it comes down?

- Chillin

uh_no
03-06-2015, 10:28 AM
not this time.

truth be told? I think we'll lose

yes we've played better in repeat matchups...but THIS one is on the road. K will have a plan to not be so susceptible to their interior offense, but I bet they shoot better from outside the paint as we're at their house now. We're playing a much better brand of defense IMO, but haven't had a game against a top team since the last UNC matchup. How much of our recent play is better defense and how much is it decreased opponent quality? Kenpom asserts that our defense has been better, but we'll find out.

The game only matters for pride. lets take it to them.

Lar77
03-06-2015, 11:14 AM
While I certainly hope this game sets the tone, Duke v Carolina I doubt has much correlation/tone-setting to anything. It's its own beast.

Agreed. Plus it's Duke-Carolina. Even if the teams weren't playing well or were coming off poor performances, I would expect a battle end to end.

Maybe we can hang the banner once it comes down?

- Chillin

Agreed. One thing we have learned over the years, and Al Featherston's article today should remind, this game lives in its own universe without regard to how the teams are doing beforehand or how they do afterwards. It is what makes it so special. That said, crush them!

Maybe the appropriate treatment for the banner(s) is give them to PackPride. Or give them to the Governor (he went to Catawba) to remind our state government that the "flagship" (and lack of questions from the state government) brought disgrace to this state (on the taxpayers' dime).

Kedsy
03-06-2015, 11:15 AM
yes we've played better in repeat matchups...but THIS one is on the road.

Yes, this will be a big test for my second-time-around hypothesis since, as you point out, the first three data points were all also going from a first game on the road to the second game at home.

Still, going from -4 to +30 against Notre Dame, 8 to 19 against Syracuse, and 8 to 37 against Wake probably can't be entirely explained by the difference between road and home. Or even road/home plus random chance, though the sample so far is undoubtedly too small to draw any real conclusions. Like I say, the UNC game (and the ACC tourney games that follow) should be a good test.

cato
03-06-2015, 11:24 AM
One thing we have learned over the years, and Al Featherston's article today should remind, this game lives in its own universe without regard to how the teams are doing beforehand or how they do afterwards. It is what makes it so special.

Yes and no. Just look back to 82-50. That epic beat down -- and what an epic beat down it was -- was certainly in line with how the 2010 team finished up the year.

Kedsy
03-06-2015, 11:27 AM
I posted this info before the last UNC game, but here it is again, updated:

In Coach K's time at Duke, when Duke has played UNC...

...if one of the teams was top 5 and the other was outside the top 10, the top 5 team's record is 28-7 (.800 winning pct).

...if one of the teams was top 5 and the other was ranked but outside the top 10, the top 5's team record is 14-5 (.737 w%).

...if both teams are ranked, the higher ranked team's record is 32-22 (.593 w%).

Here's the same info, split by home/road:

Top 5 vs. outside top 10:

Home: 15-3 (.833 w%)
Road: 10-3 (.769 w%)
Neutral: 3-1 (.750 w%)

Top 5 vs. ranked but outside top 10:

Home: 7-2 (.789 w%)
Road: 5-2 (.714 w%)
Neutral: 2-1 (.667 w%)

So there's a little difference between road and home, but not that much of a difference. I'll leave it to actual statistician types to tell me if the difference is significant or not.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-06-2015, 11:30 AM
Yes and no. Just look back to 82-50. That epic beat down -- and what an epic beat down it was -- was certainly in line with how the 2010 team finished up the year.

Also, the fact that we haven't lost a game since.... January 28th means that we have some pretty good mojo building. I'd say that if we can keep that momentum, it bodes well. A loss doesn't tear us down to nothing, but a win could simply add to our inertia.

superdave
03-06-2015, 11:39 AM
This Unc team reminds me of Duke last season in that they do not know how to close out close games very well. I do wonder if they a confidence issue and their loss to us is a big part of that. The game tomorrow night should be very telling as to whether they have some big issues or if they have grown as a team.

captmojo
03-06-2015, 11:41 AM
I look for a close game. I certainly hope this is true. A big beatdown leaves behind a point of study for the loser to learn something through.
A one-point loss will leave the lesser team (unc) with only disappointment and heartache.
I wish for them to have a LOT of disappointment and heartache.

CDu
03-06-2015, 12:01 PM
Same keys as last time (in no particular order):

- limit UNC's offensive rebounds
- limit UNC's fast break opportunities
- limit Marcus Paige
- watch out for the backdoor lob play

We did really well stopping the last two in the first game, but for long stretches of the game we got killed on the first two. We will need to do better in that area this time around.

We are the better team when we play focused. Let's hope our heads are on straight tomorrow night and that we play with poise, shoot well, and don't run out of gas out there.

superdave
03-06-2015, 12:10 PM

- limit Marcus Paige

We did really well stopping the last two in the first game, but for long stretches of the game we got killed on the first two. We will need to do better in that area this time around.

We are the better team when we play focused. Let's hope our heads are on straight tomorrow night and that we play with poise, shoot well, and don't run out of gas out there.

Okafor was a stationary rebounder last time. So we should improve on the defensive glass with him being more mobile.

Coach K has also been playing a smaller lineup more, so it will be interesting to see if Winslow guards a Unc big or if Amile/Marshall get more minutes.

Most importantly, I would love to Quinn replicate his defensive effort from the last game on Paige.

DukeWarhead
03-06-2015, 12:17 PM
There's no one X factor in this game. We've seen a number of Duke players rise to the occassion and make big impacts (hello Grayson?). But I can't help but feel that if Winslow is as aggressive and emboldened as we've seen him sometimes, it just creates a dynamic that UNC will have difficulty countering. If all of a sudden, Justise is the biggest threat on the floor, and knowing how many ways he can hurt you, it just opens everything up for everybody else and that is a malestrom that the baby blues can't handle, I don't think. Of course, this in nothing profound. But I would let Justise be as agressive as he wants to be. Attack attack attack and the others will thrive from it. (I hope) Let Justise be served!

CDu
03-06-2015, 12:27 PM
There's no one X factor in this game. We've seen a number of Duke players rise to the occassion and make big impacts (hello Grayson?). But I can't help but feel that if Winslow is as aggressive and emboldened as we've seen him sometimes, it just creates a dynamic that UNC will have difficulty countering. If all of a sudden, Justise is the biggest threat on the floor, and knowing how many ways he can hurt you, it just opens everything up for everybody else and that is a malestrom that the baby blues can't handle, I don't think. Of course, this in nothing profound. But I would let Justise be as agressive as he wants to be. Attack attack attack and the others will thrive from it. (I hope) Let Justise be served!

I agree that Winslow will be a huge key. Most notably, he'll play most, if not all, of his time at PF. And he's a huge matchup nightmare there. Brice Johnson can't guard him. Isiah Hicks can't guard him. Justin Jackson can't guard him. Only JP Tokoto can guard him, but putting Tokoto on Winslow gives us a big edge in the matchup with whomever Paige doesn't defend at guard.

I am a big fan of Amile Jefferson, but I think this is a matchup where we need to play Winslow at PF as much as we can to really expose UNC's defense at PF. So I'd expect to see limited minutes for Jefferson (10-15) and Plumlee (8-10) in this one. This is, of course, barring foul trouble or injury.

yancem
03-06-2015, 12:42 PM

- limit Marcus Paige

And the key to limiting unc's fast breaks is for Duke to remain focused on offense. No silly turnovers (both TJones and Okafor had several last time) and no ill advised 3's. We have a big advantage from behind the arc but we have to take them at the appropriate times and make sure that whoever is near the top of the key is ready to get back on defense. Last time we jumped all over them then gave everything back with terrible offensive possessions and transition D.

brevity
03-06-2015, 12:55 PM

- limit Marcus Paige

Oh good, you found them. Fats Thomas had loaned me the keys to the game, but I misplaced them.

fuse
03-06-2015, 12:58 PM
I think it was the Featherston article about recent Duke-UNC history that said the trend is winner of the first loses the second.

Here's to bucking that trend- let's go Duke!

lotusland
03-06-2015, 01:01 PM
Get back on D. Block out; Rebound.

MCFinARL
03-06-2015, 01:08 PM
Oh good, you found them. Fats Thomas had loaned me the keys to the game, but I misplaced them.

Can't spork you, but this is amazing!

And by the way, GTHC

FerryFor50
03-06-2015, 01:11 PM
Okafor was limited last time by injury, but looks healthy now. However, he's coming off his worst game of the year. We'll see how he bounces back.

Also, any word on the ankles of Jefferson and Winslow? Going to need that size/depth for the UNC front line.

I still think they contain Paige - he's not the same player he was last season. I still think UNC beats Duke on the boards.

But, as always, UNC-Duke is a toss up.

hurleyfor3
03-06-2015, 01:21 PM
Old news (http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2015/02/espns-college-gameday-returns-duke-north-carolina-rematch/), but the announcers will be Schulman and Bilas again. Shannon Spake on the sidelines.

FerryFor50
03-06-2015, 01:31 PM
Okafor was limited last time by injury, but looks healthy now. However, he's coming off his worst game of the year. We'll see how he bounces back.

Also, any word on the ankles of Jefferson and Winslow? Going to need that size/depth for the UNC front line.

I still think they contain Paige - he's not the same player he was last season. I still think UNC beats Duke on the boards.

But, as always, UNC-Duke is a toss up.

It's like Laura Keeley reads this forum...

Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 28 minutes ago

Five Dukies nursing left ankle nicks (Grayson, Justise, Jah, Quinn and Amile). Justise both ankles. Everyone should play vs UNC

CDu
03-06-2015, 02:07 PM
And the key to limiting unc's fast breaks is for Duke to remain focused on offense. No silly turnovers (both TJones and Okafor had several last time) and no ill advised 3's. We have a big advantage from behind the arc but we have to take them at the appropriate times and make sure that whoever is near the top of the key is ready to get back on defense. Last time we jumped all over them then gave everything back with terrible offensive possessions and transition D.

Yup. It is the one knock I have on Okafor (well, aside from FT shooting and defensive awareness/rotations) is that he can be a very sloppy player at times (on both ends of the court). But that is an especially dangerous trait against a UNC team that really likes to run off turnovers. And especially with a Duke team that isn't always good about getting back on defense.

UrinalCake
03-06-2015, 02:33 PM
Any news on whether Pinson will play? I don't expect much from him given how long he's been out, but it would give them another body and he's supposed to be a decent defender.

Duvall
03-06-2015, 02:33 PM
Any news on whether Pinson will play? I don't expect much from him given how long he's been out, but it would give them another body and he's supposed to be a decent defender.

He played against Georgia Tech, so I would assume he's playing tomorrow.

flyingdutchdevil
03-06-2015, 02:39 PM
It's like Laura Keeley reads this forum...

Sure, I'd like all the players to be 100% healthy, but I'll take ankle nicks over anything knee related. Grant Hill may disagree, but the ankle can take a lot of force. It's not a delicate feature... unlike those damn knees!

Fortunately, after the UNC game, they have 5 days off to fully recover.

mike88
03-06-2015, 04:44 PM

The Wake Forest game may not have looked good statistically for Okafor, but that more due to WF's defensive plan, which left multiple shooters open in order to better cover the paint. I thought he actually did a fine job in his limited minutes in taking what they were giving us, and not forcing things just to get his numbers. Better yet, he didn't have to play big minutes, and should be well-rested fr Saturday night, when we will need him much more!

ncexnyc
03-06-2015, 06:41 PM
Announcers always love to talk about match-ups and nine times out of ten they don’t really have an impact on a game, however for this game I think they are crucial and will determine who wins or loses.

I’m not sure Carolina is going to play us like the last time. I have a sneaky suspicion that Ol’ Roy is going to throw something different at us. I would normally suspect a line-up of Berry, Paige, Tokoto, Johnson, and Meeks. I’m not sure that is what we’ll get, but I have a feeling we’re going to see Roy try to work Jackson into his line-up. I say this because, since his terrible outing at Durham, the kid has played fairly well. I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if Ol’ Roy started Paige at the PG spot and put Jackson at the SG spot.

I’m sure Coach K, would love to use his small line-up, but with the heels size, that won’t be possible. I’m hoping that the Amile we get tomorrow night is, “The Eel”, the slippery dude who worms his way around the basket for multiple scores, as opposed to the day old unagi version of Amile. We need Amile’s size to negate some of Carolina’s advantage in that department. Our guards outplayed theirs the last time out and it’s nice to have Matt and Grayson showing they are capable of primetime action so Tyus and Quinn can stay fresh, as our lack of depth seemed to hurt us the last time we played UNC.

As others have already mentioned, Justise is the X-factor. He completely embarrassed Jackson by snapping him off at the ankles at the start of the last game and clearly showed that he was the superior player. That forced Roy to play Tokoto more and Johnson eventually ended up on Winslow, which led to Johnson fouling out, as he just wasn’t quick enough to hang with Justise. Now this time around Pinson is back in the fold for the heels and he was labelled as their version of Winslow. If he does get that assignment just how effective will he be and will he be able to provide the scoring punch that JP gave the heels in the last game?

77devil
03-06-2015, 06:58 PM
According to this article UNC will honor Coach K for 1,000 wins before Saturdays game; the neanderthals at IC are not happy.

http://northcarolina.scout.com/story/1524456-unc-to-honor-coach-k-s-1-000-wins

OldPhiKap
03-06-2015, 07:00 PM
According to this article UNC will honor Coach K for 1,000 wins before Saturdays game; the neanderthals at IC are not happy.

I was just about to post this.

For all the folks who thought us crusties were less than enthusiastic about the "Dean" shirts, go read the IC thread on this and let me know if you are still warm and fuzzy.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=13708302

Go to HELL Carolina. Go to HELL.

(Please delete if I am not allowed to link their site)

OldPhiKap
03-06-2015, 07:16 PM
I was just about to post this.

For all the folks who thought us crusties were less than enthusiastic about the "Dean" shirts, go read the IC thread on this and let me know if you are still warm and fuzzy.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=13708302

Go to HELL Carolina. Go to HELL.

(Please delete if I am not allowed to link their site)

Sorry, they have two threads on why they hate this idea:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=13708089

9F.

brevity
03-06-2015, 07:19 PM

That's... an unexpectedly nice gesture. UNC is presenting Coach K with a plaque, and Roy Williams is giving him 1,000 unused timeouts.

roywhite
03-06-2015, 07:31 PM
Not everyone agrees on the severity or timing of sanctions vs UNC, but I believe Ol' Roy is a dead man walking.

IMO the game vs Duke will be his last appearance in the Dean Dome as the UNC head coach. Like a meal request for a condemned prisoner, Ol' Roy would like nothing better than a win vs his hated rival. Can this translate to a great performance for the Heels vs a very good (slightly nicked up) Duke team?

Perhaps a slight edge to the Heels in this one.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-06-2015, 07:46 PM
My keys for a UNC win....

Guard Quinn Cook.

Limit TO's.

Get the ball inside against Duke's defense. Keep attacking the paint with the entry passes to Johnson,Meeks, James and Hicks. Challenge Okafor's D. Foul trouble for him would be a bonus.

I think Roy might throw a curve at Duke and we will see a three guard lineup from UNC at times with Berry, Paige and Tokoto. Especially if Jackson doesn't get off to a good start.

Guard Quinn Cook.

UNC should have won that last game but failed to close it out. They will need to be more focused in the late game this time.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-06-2015, 08:14 PM

I mean, I had to double check my calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st already.

CDu
03-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Announcers always love to talk about match-ups and nine times out of ten they don’t really have an impact on a game, however for this game I think they are crucial and will determine who wins or loses.

I’m not sure Carolina is going to play us like the last time. I have a sneaky suspicion that Ol’ Roy is going to throw something different at us. I would normally suspect a line-up of Berry, Paige, Tokoto, Johnson, and Meeks. I’m not sure that is what we’ll get, but I have a feeling we’re going to see Roy try to work Jackson into his line-up. I say this because, since his terrible outing at Durham, the kid has played fairly well. I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if Ol’ Roy started Paige at the PG spot and put Jackson at the SG spot.

I’m sure Coach K, would love to use his small line-up, but with the heels size, that won’t be possible. I’m hoping that the Amile we get tomorrow night is, “The Eel”, the slippery dude who worms his way around the basket for multiple scores, as opposed to the day old unagi version of Amile. We need Amile’s size to negate some of Carolina’s advantage in that department. Our guards outplayed theirs the last time out and it’s nice to have Matt and Grayson showing they are capable of primetime action so Tyus and Quinn can stay fresh, as our lack of depth seemed to hurt us the last time we played UNC.

As others have already mentioned, Justise is the X-factor. He completely embarrassed Jackson by snapping him off at the ankles at the start of the last game and clearly showed that he was the superior player. That forced Roy to play Tokoto more and Johnson eventually ended up on Winslow, which led to Johnson fouling out, as he just wasn’t quick enough to hang with Justise. Now this time around Pinson is back in the fold for the heels and he was labelled as their version of Winslow. If he does get that assignment just how effective will he be and will he be able to provide the scoring punch that JP gave the heels in the last game?

Jackson has been starting at SG for most, if not all, of the season, including the first Duke game. So I am not sure how much of a changeup that would be.

Dukehky
03-06-2015, 08:38 PM
In the immortal words of me, "Man, F Carolina"

Just had a kid I work with not get the Morehead after being a finalist, so we are extra salty this weekend. He will be attending Duke though!

Wheat/"/"/"
03-06-2015, 08:50 PM
Jackson has been starting at SG for most, if not all, of the season, including the first Duke game. So I am not sure how much of a changeup that would be.

While they have been interchangeable at times, Jackson usually matches up defensively with the other teams SF while Tokoto usually takes the other teams SG.

ETA...UNC will not go small to start. The big lineup of Paige,Tokoto,Jackson,Johnson,Meeks is to UNC's advantage...unless Duke shoots lights out, then they'll have to go smaller.

Dukehky
03-06-2015, 08:53 PM
They are really clinging to this Sulaimon thing... I thought the Lance Thomas jewelry fiasco was way more suspicious than all this turned out to be. It's like they've forgotten everything about Melvin Scott.

CDu
03-06-2015, 08:56 PM
While they have been interchangeable at times, Jackson usually matches up defensively with the other teams SF while Tokoto usually takes the other teams SG.

I think the point the previous poster was trying to make was the change to start Jackson and move Paige to PG. Which was the point of my post: Jackson has long been the starter and Paige has been regularly starting at PG (then moving off ball when Britt or Berry comes in). I could be wrong about the previous poster's point, but that is what I was responding to.

DU82
03-06-2015, 09:38 PM
My keys for a UNC win....
Limit TO's.

I think Roy has that down pat.

(You did mean Time Outs, right?)

dukelifer
03-06-2015, 09:46 PM

If IC had their way- wouldn't have Coach K gotten 1000 sooner? They are still upset that he did not have the entire 1995 season counted on his record.

Henderson
03-06-2015, 09:49 PM
It'll be interesting to see how the Dean Dome fans react to Roy's idea of honoring of Coach K before the game. It'll also be interesting to see how TV presents that reaction.

If fans boo or turn their backs (as suggested on IC), and TV picks that up, the public perception will be awful. At an awful time. Roy will be publicly embarassed, the rift between fans and Roy will widen, and the story/comment/story-about-comment thread will last for days. That would be nothing but bad for UNC-CH.

IOW, I hope the fans boo loudly and turn their backs.

j/k. It's kind of a strange homage, but K deserves it, and I hope chapaheeya takes a walk on the high road.

OldPhiKap
03-06-2015, 09:54 PM
It'll be interesting to see how the Dean Dome fans react to Roy's idea of honoring of Coach K before the game. It'll also be interesting to see how TV presents that reaction.

If fans boo or turn their backs (as suggested on IC), and TV picks that up, the public perception will be awful. At an awful time. Roy will be publicly embarassed, the rift between fans and Roy will widen, and the story/comment/story-about-comment thread will last for days. That would be nothing but bad for UNC-CH.

IOW, I hope the fans boo loudly and turn their backs.

j/k. It's kind of a strange homage, but K deserves it, and I hope chapaheeya takes a walk on the high road.

I have a sense that Roy plans to retire after this season, and this is his way of recognizing K before he gets out. Because this is just weird. No one at IC is talking about the game or senior night.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-06-2015, 09:59 PM
I think the point the previous poster was trying to make was the change to start Jackson and move Paige to PG.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but Jackson has started every game all season at SF and Paige has started every game at PG.

As much as I get after Tokoto to play tougher, we should recognize that he caused Duke big problems in the first game going for 15 Pts, 8 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals and 0 TO's. He'll need to be a focus for Duke in this one, they just can't worry about Paige on the wings.

Not bad for a "serviceable" player as DBR called him earlier in the season ;)

Wheat/"/"/"
03-06-2015, 10:06 PM
I have a sense that Roy plans to retire after this season, and this is his way of recognizing K before he gets out. Because this is just weird. No one at IC is talking about the game or senior night.

It looks to me that Roy appreciated Duke and coach K's tribute to Dean and he'd like to repay that show of respect by recognizing coach K's 1000 win milestone as his show of respect.

It's all good and shows some sportsmanship from both sides.

The heck with fans from either side that want to make it out to be more than that.

OldPhiKap
03-06-2015, 10:09 PM
It looks to me that Roy appreciated Duke and coach K's tribute to Dean and he'd like to repay that show of respect by recognizing coach K's 1000 win milestone as his show of respect.

The heck with fans from either side that want to make it out to be more than that.

Do you think Roy will be back? I think he is heading to the beach. Being serious, not just ribbing. I really think he has had enough, he is tired of fighting the fans, and Dean's passing has really gassed him. Family health issues are there too.

Again, not being partisan and I think I can be rational when required. I just don't see why he would stay other than to prove he can.

bedeviled
03-06-2015, 10:16 PM
Looking back at the box score for the first meeting, I was surprised to see the how great the disparity in field goal attempts was: UNC = 83, Duke = 65. Duke made up some of this ground with free throws, but there was still a large difference in true shot attempts.
Anyway, while looking at some shooting data for that game, I made a couple graphs and figured I'd share them.

The graphs are the shooting characteristics of each team in all ACC games (including Duke vs UNC) compared to the same measures in the Duke vs UNC game.
A couple technical notes:
1. I used Pomeroy's coefficient for calculating shot attemps (FGA + 0.475 * FTA)
2. DNP games for Berry, Okafor, Allen were left out of their respective calculations
3. Sulaimon's data was included in Duke vs ACC calculations. If only games after Sulaimon's dismissal are used, the 'Percent of Team's Shots' change by ~1-2% for some players. The exception is Matt Jones, whose 'Percent of Team's Shots' increases to 13.7% (Sulaimon was taking 12.7% of our shots during his ACC season)

devildeac
03-06-2015, 11:15 PM

Nice gesture. I still hope and pray we kick their cheating rectums up and down Franklin Street.

devildeac
03-06-2015, 11:16 PM

Neanderthals? You're being far too kind.

Kedsy
03-07-2015, 01:40 AM
I think it was the Featherston article about recent Duke-UNC history that said the trend is winner of the first loses the second.

Here's to bucking that trend- let's go Duke!

Most you can reasonably say is that it's a mini-trend -- the teams have split in 3 of the last 4 seasons. But if you look at it in ten year blocks (including the last four years), it doesn't really look like a trend at all:

2005 to 2014: 6 splits, 4 sweeps
1995 to 2004: 4 splits, 6 sweeps
1985 to 1994: 5 splits, 5 sweeps

gofurman
03-07-2015, 02:03 AM
Looking back at the box score for the first meeting, I was surprised to see the how great the disparity in field goal attempts was: UNC = 83, Duke = 65. Duke made up some of this ground with free throws, but there was still a large difference in true shot attempts.
Anyway, while looking at some shooting data for that game, I made a couple graphs and figured I'd share them.

The graphs are the shooting characteristics of each team in all ACC games (including Duke vs UNC) compared to the same measures in the Duke vs UNC game.
A couple technical notes:
1. I used Pomeroy's coefficient for calculating shot attemps (FGA + 0.475 * FTA)
2. DNP games for Berry, Okafor, Allen were left out of their respective calculations
3. Sulaimon's data was included in Duke vs ACC calculations. If only games after Sulaimon's dismissal are used, the 'Percent of Team's Shots' change by ~1-2% for some players. The exception is Matt Jones, whose 'Percent of Team's Shots' increases to 13.7% (Sulaimon was taking 12.7% of our shots during his ACC season)

I had a noticed that too. It's very fortunate (luck?) we won w 18 more shots for UNC. You give a good team 18 more shots and you will lose 9 times out of 10. Seriously. I think we lose this one by 8 or so

Wheat/"/"/"
03-07-2015, 06:47 AM
Do you think Roy will be back? I think he is heading to the beach. Being serious, not just ribbing. I really think he has had enough, he is tired of fighting the fans, and Dean's passing has really gassed him. Family health issues are there too.

Again, not being partisan and I think I can be rational when required. I just don't see why he would stay other than to prove he can.

Yes, he'll be back. I haven't seen any sign from him suggesting he's had enough. He's recruiting harder than ever.

oldnavy
03-07-2015, 06:58 AM
Nice gesture. I still hope and pray we kick their cheating rectums up and down Franklin Street.

Nice but a little odd and unexpected. Has K been honored at any other away game since eclipsing the 1K mark?

TruBlu
03-07-2015, 06:59 AM
How blessed are we?

Fully 37.5% of our scholarship players do not have ankle injuries. Either:

A) We need new shoes.
B) Our managers need to learn how to wrap ankles better.
C) The players need to stop running and jumping so much.

bob blue devil
03-07-2015, 08:16 AM
How blessed are we?

Fully 37.5% of our scholarship players do not have ankle injuries. Either:

A) We need new shoes.
B) Our managers need to learn how to wrap ankles better.
C) The players need to stop running and jumping so much.

i think the problem lies in the team's diet. too much fast food creating extra weight on the ankles.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-07-2015, 08:32 AM
12.5 hours until Justise rains down on the Cheats!

Bob Green
03-07-2015, 08:37 AM
Vegas currently has Carolina favored by one point with the over/under set at 157: 79 - 78. I like our chances to be the team with 79. A few observations/comments:

1.Tokoto had a big game in the first meeting at Cameron so I expect Coach K will have an adjustment factored into his game plan. Matt Jones has moved into the starting line-up in recent games so that is a change.

2. How much playing time will Amile Jefferson see? He had a very strong 13 points, five rebounds, six blocks performance in game one. We will need everyone clicking tonight against the Tar Heels.

3. We need a strong defensive performance as the better we are on defense, the better our offense clicks.

4. Foul trouble - a big issue for both teams. Whichever team avoids it has an advantage.

5. And finally, a sideshow to keep an eye on. Which back-up center plays better? In game one, Joel James went for six points and five rebounds in 12 minutes, while Marshall Plumlee had zero points and two rebounds in seven minutes. Which player gives his team better production tonight? It could be a factor in a close game (see point #4).

CDu
03-07-2015, 09:20 AM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but Jackson has started every game all season at SF and Paige has started every game at PG.

As much as I get after Tokoto to play tougher, we should recognize that he caused Duke big problems in the first game going for 15 Pts, 8 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals and 0 TO's. He'll need to be a focus for Duke in this one, they just can't worry about Paige on the wings.

Not bad for a "serviceable" player as DBR called him earlier in the season ;)

You aren't missing anything. That was my point: the supposed change isn't really a change.

MCFinARL
03-07-2015, 09:36 AM

Nice but a little odd and unexpected. Has K been honored at any other away game since eclipsing the 1K mark?

Don't know the answer to your question, Oldnavy, but I think Wheat has the right take here--Roy was genuinely touched by the tribute to Dean at the first game and wants to do something nice, and respectful, in return--which is nice.

Probably most of the fans will be fine with it. But as Taylor Swift says, "haters gonna hate, hate, hate..."

jv001
03-07-2015, 09:46 AM
Don't know the answer to your question, Oldnavy, but I think Wheat has the right take here--Roy was genuinely touched by the tribute to Dean at the first game and wants to do something nice, and respectful, in return--which is nice. Probably most of the fans will be fine with it. But as Taylor Swift says, "haters gonna hate, hate, hate..."

I agree with what Wheat says as well. Old Roy is a pretty decent human being. Good sportsmanship all around. GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
03-07-2015, 09:49 AM
I agree with what Wheat says as well. Old Roy is a pretty decent human being. Good sportsmanship all around. GoDuke!

I think this is right. Although he obviously knows the }|#\{}#-storm this will cause. I think he is at the point where he just doesn't care whether folks like it or not. Which, again, makes me think he has in the back of his mind that he is retiring after the season.

jv001
03-07-2015, 09:51 AM
I think this is right. Although he obviously knows the }|#\{}#-storm this will cause. I think he is at the point where he just doesn't care whether folks like it or not. Which, again, makes me think he has in the back of his mind that he is retiring after the season.

I have the same feeling regarding Roy might just retire after this season. He looks tired and worn out. GoDuke!

Dev11
03-07-2015, 10:33 AM
From the IC article, a quote from Roy about K:

“Whatever he has now, if he has 1,012 or whatever, I hope like crap he doesn’t add one more tomorrow.”

I'll admit, I laughed.

Kedsy
03-07-2015, 10:52 AM
We need a strong defensive performance as the better we are on defense, the better our offense clicks.

Is this right, or is it the other way around? Or is it that when we're playing our best we play better on both ends? It's a correlation/causation question, although I think Coach K has said when we play well on offense, our defense is better.

Bob Green
03-07-2015, 10:55 AM
...although I think Coach K has said when we play well on offense, our defense is better.

I thought he said it the other way around, but I frequently misremember.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-07-2015, 10:56 AM
Is this right, or is it the other way around? Or is it that when we're playing our best we play better on both ends? It's a correlation/causation question, although I think Coach K has said when we play well on offense, our defense is better.
Actually he is on record as saying that when we play great defense, it feeds and carries over to our offense. Here is an example...

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2015/02/07/offensive-explosion-sparks-duke-basketball-rout-notre-dame#.VPsf_YY8L7o

duketaylor
03-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Both 'Ole Roy and Jim Boeheim retire after the same season-possibly very soon.

Dev11
03-07-2015, 12:16 PM
Seth Greenberg wore Duke slippers for his Game Day pick, and they were impossible to see. Meanwhile, Jason Williams revealed his old #22 jersey under his shirt and then was theatrically removed by security.

oldnavy
03-07-2015, 12:21 PM
Don't know the answer to your question, Oldnavy, but I think Wheat has the right take here--Roy was genuinely touched by the tribute to Dean at the first game and wants to do something nice, and respectful, in return--which is nice.

Probably most of the fans will be fine with it. But as Taylor Swift says, "haters gonna hate, hate, hate..."

I'm not in the hater category on THIS particular subject.... I think it is a nice gesture by Roy and UNC, but I do find it a bit strange honestly.

It just doesn't seem like the kind of thing you would honor someone for unless they are YOUR coach or if Coach K were coaching his last game at UNC due to retirement.

Maybe I am just too far jaded to accept anything on face value from UNC these days. I'll own that.

Henderson
03-07-2015, 12:25 PM
Both 'Ole Roy and Jim Boeheim retire after the same season-possibly very soon.

It's not crazy. Others have made the case that Roy would retire after this year. I tend to think not, but I get it. He's visibly tired, he's close to retirement age, and this thing with the NCAA isn't going to be finished during Roy's career, because any sanctions are likely to impinge upon his recruiting for years. Roy doesn't want to retire under a cloud, though, and I don't think he wants his legacy to end with this. I could imagine his thinking that, "I didn't do anything wrong, and I'll just take my dadgum lumps. They won't fire me. I'll retire after everything has been cleaned up and settled."

Boeheim is a different story. He's no longer two seasons away from passing Coach K on the wins list. My [poorly informed] gut tells me that Boeheim won't retire after this year, because the timing would be too obvious. He could now go at any time without a meaninful change to his record. And I no longer believe that Boeheim wants to wait until after Coach K retires, because the prize involved there is no longer in reach.

So yeah, parallel deflations suggest retirement for both sooner rather than later, but maybe not this year.

Atlanta Duke
03-07-2015, 12:27 PM
Roy identifies what might be impacting recruiting

Asked if he was troubled by recent recruiting trends – and, specifically, the trend of Duke year after year landing freshmen who have had an immediate impact before departing for the NBA – Williams said he was bothered more by something else.

“What troubles me is that for three years we’ve been trying to recruit with a lot of junk going on,” he said. “That’s not been very comfortable, so I’m looking forward to having the junk over with and see if we can get back to doing some good things. But we’ve been able to get some really good kids.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article12871076.html#storylink=cpy

Guess we can go with "junk" to describe the recent unpleasantness

I am sure during the retreat from Moscow and in the spring of 1973 both Napoleon and Richard Nixon also said they were troubled by "a lot of junk going on.":)

NancyCarol
03-07-2015, 12:27 PM
As a thank you for this honor of a plaque to Coach K, we should give Roy a pair of gold plated scissors to aid in cutting down banners they will have to forfeit after the NCAA makes their decision on penalties. I think it would be a nice gesture.

Henderson
03-07-2015, 12:32 PM
As a thank you for this honor of a plaque to Coach K, we should give Roy a pair of gold plated scissors to aid in cutting down banners they will have to forfeit after the NCAA makes their decision on penalties. I think it would be a nice gesture.

I like it. How about a set of gold-plated goff clubs with which he can beat the banners down. He yells, "FOUR" while an NCAA official whispers in his ear, "Yes, all four."

hudlow
03-07-2015, 12:42 PM
I believe Roy, Jimmy B. and a couple of the NCAA investigators will be a regular foursome around NC beach links in the near future...

hud

fuse
03-07-2015, 02:28 PM
Let's Go Duke!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-07-2015, 03:01 PM
Actually he is on record as saying that when we play great defense, it feeds and carries over to our offense. Here is an example...

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2015/02/07/offensive-explosion-sparks-duke-basketball-rout-notre-dame#.VPsf_YY8L7o

Unlike many posters here, I have a great deal of respect for Roy personally - I don't like his color of blue, and I have LOTS of questions about his handling of the scandal, but that's neither here nor there.

But, I agree - I think Roy is quite close to the end of his career. He looks physically like he has aged about ten years in the last eighteen months. I think he's a very sensitive person who takes much of the talk around his program very seriously and very personally. If he is still on the staff this fall, I'll be a bit surprised. If he is coaching UNC at the beginning of the 2016/2017 season, I will be really surprised.

I have zero problem with Roy reciprocating the sentiments that Duke showed for Dean prior to the game in Durham. I think Roy's probably a better human being than he is a coach, recruiter, or PR person.

NancyCarol
03-07-2015, 03:22 PM
After reading the Inside Carolina "Board of Bitterness", I have some pity for Roy. Wow, what a group of posters over there...it's like pitchforks and torches and howling hounds from an old Frankenstein movie. I do agree giving Coach K a plaque on their senior night is a questionable decision given that the Carolina "fans" are likely to make complete and utter asses of themselves on national television and in front of potential recruits. Not that I won't enjoy watching it,

Wheat/"/"/"
03-07-2015, 03:58 PM
One thing to consider is that Pinson will be available for this one. I saw an interview where he said he's been going hard in practice and not thinking about his foot, so he's ready.

Roy might do a lot more substituting and trapping with him available.

It takes a lot of energy to trap effectively and now he'll have relatively healthy options of Paige, Berry, Britt, Pinson, Tokoto, and Jackson to shuffle in and out. Roy's not afraid to go deep down the bench in big games, especially if he thinks he can wear a team down. Duke with a short bench and nagging injuries plays into that strategy too.

I'll be looking to see if Roy tries to surprise Duke a few more times in this one by trapping in the backcourt, but also few times after crossing the time line at mid court.

The meat of the UNC gameplan will still be to attack inside with the bigs in 1/2 court sets, but if the traps are successful and he can speed things up, he'll keep pushing the pace. It's in his DNA.

CDu
03-07-2015, 04:14 PM
One thing to consider is that Pinson will be available for this one. I saw an interview where he said he's been going hard in practice and not thinking about his foot, so he's ready.

Roy might do a lot more substituting and trapping with him available.

It takes a lot of energy to trap effectively and now he'll have relatively healthy options of Paige, Berry, Britt, Pinson, Tokoto, and Jackson to shuffle in and out. Roy's not afraid to go deep down the bench in big games, especially if he thinks he can wear a team down. Duke with a short bench and nagging injuries plays into that strategy too.

I'll be looking to see if Roy tries to surprise Duke a few more times in this one by trapping in the backcourt, but also few times after crossing the time line at mid court.

The meat of the UNC gameplan will still be to attack inside with the bigs in 1/2 court sets, but if the traps are successful and he can speed things up, he'll keep pushing the pace. It's in his DNA.

I don't doubt that UNC will try to press/trap, but I am not sure we are an easy team to trap. We will have at least 3 good ballhandlers on the floor at all times, and sometimes four. Winslow at the 4 makes trapping difficult. Still, with the edge in depth and with a less effective halfcourt offense, it would behoove Williams to try it.

Dukehky
03-07-2015, 04:46 PM
I don't doubt that UNC will try to press/trap, but I am not sure we are an easy team to trap. We will have at least 3 good ballhandlers on the floor at all times, and sometimes four. Winslow at the 4 makes trapping difficult. Still, with the edge in depth and with a less effective halfcourt offense, it would behoove Williams to try it.

I had forgotten about Pinson, he was playing better before he got hurt. Certainly not better than Winslow, as many of those nimrods in Chapel Hill would have claimed, but he could be a difference maker. I thought that Duke played really poorly for the middle 25 minutes of the last game, and I thought that UNC played as well as they possibly could have. I know people will say Paige didn't get going, but Cook literally did not leave him, so it's not like he played poorly, he just got taken out. I think we win this game in an easier fashion, or we could get beat, that's what makes sports exciting!

But guys, seriously, Carolina can go to Hell. Consume feces you cheating bunch of cheaters.

Furniture
03-07-2015, 07:26 PM
I'm a piece of furniture lost in Brasil tonight. Any idea how to watch the game in other countries?
Cheers

Utley
03-07-2015, 07:43 PM
I know we've had a lot of success with the smaller 4 guard line-up, but my feeling from the first game was that we needed more size. UNC was just too big and Okafor not skilled enough on d for us to stop them down low. No problem going with 4 guards and seeing if we can exert our wheel but I think we need to be ready with that contingency.

I think our D - drives our O. We are so good in transition when we get a stop. Need Quinn to shake his slump and Tyus to raise to the big game occasion.

Acymetric
03-07-2015, 07:52 PM

The bold section above is a mentality that drives me crazy sometimes and we do seem to follow that logic frequently as a team. If you have the best team, but your team is smaller, make them adapt and play your guys the way you normally play. If your team has bigger players but the other team plays small, play big like you normally would and use the size to intimidate and defend them or score at will in the post.

It seems like a common trend in college basketball for coaches to say "well the other team only has small guys so we better go small." Uh, what? Having a small team should be a disadvantage, why would you play into their strengths by trying to match size? This isn't a Duke thing although we do seem to set our lineups with this line of thinking in mind sometimes. Maybe this is just a sign of my lack of basketball strategy expertise.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-07-2015, 08:03 PM
I'm a piece of furniture lost in Brasil tonight. Any idea how to watch the game in other countries?
Cheers

It's scheduled on the watch ESPN app if you have Internet access and a cable provider they accept.

-jk
03-07-2015, 08:09 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Go to HELL, Carolina, Go to HELL! Let's Go Duke!

-jk

riverside6
03-07-2015, 08:45 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/UNC, starters posted

http://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-unc-basketball-live-stats-03072015

MartyClark
03-07-2015, 08:52 PM
Okay, this family in Lone Tree, Colorado has been mentally preparing for this game all day. We sat on the back porch and discussed the game. I drank a few beers, my wife humored me.

Everybody has had good thoughts on the game. Okafor needs to stay out of foul trouble. Let's go Duke.

jipops
03-07-2015, 09:00 PM

We have shown to be turnover prone at times. I think trapping is a good call.

This is a difficult matchup for Duke. The heels have a lot of size, speed, and depth. Not surprised to see the heels are favored in this one.

AtlBluRew
03-07-2015, 09:10 PM
It's so cute that the announcer still calls it the "University" of North Carolina.

boudreau
03-07-2015, 09:17 PM
Cheers

try http://www.gofeed2all.eu/type/basketball.html

CDu
03-07-2015, 09:59 PM
Couldn't have played much worse offensively. Thankfully (and shockingly) we dominated the offensive glass. Otherwise this would be a much bigger deficit.

Okafor is not playing well at all. Very slow and passive. Disappointed that Winslow didn't take advantage of his matchup edge.

Nervous that Paige is getting hot. Hopefully our defense steps up, and hopefully our offense gets in gear.

gofurman
03-07-2015, 10:01 PM
I am concerned w Okafor. First game without 10 pts? Wake. Now looks slow to make decisions vs UNC. Granted UNC was a. Struggle for him last time but he juSt doesn't look aggressive. I like that he passes out of double teams but sometimes - if you are that ridiculously talented- you just gotta go and get a basket. Anyone agree?????

FerryFor50
03-07-2015, 10:03 PM
I am concerned w Okafor. First game without 10 pts? Wake. Now looks slow to make decisions vs UNC. Granted UNC was a. Struggle for him last time but he juSt doesn't look aggressive. I like that he passes out of double teams but sometimes - if you are that ridiculously talented- you just gotta go and get a basket. Anyone agree?????

Well one issue is he's been picking up offensive fouls by forcing things (or "travels"). I think we'll see him more assertive next half.

_Gary
03-07-2015, 10:05 PM

Honestly, I don't think he's ever been right since the ankle injury against Carolina the first time. His gait hasn't been right since coming back, and he's clearly a step slower and more passive. My fear is that this isn't going to get any better before the season is over. And for that reason, the season might be over for us sooner than we'd like. I hate to be so pessimistic, but with our lack of a bench and all the little nagging injuries, this just doesn't feel like a very good ending to the season. Feels like we are limping into tournament time. No pun intended.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-07-2015, 10:06 PM
Gotta find our shooters second half. Can't believe we went ten minutes without a shot and are down two.

gumbomoop
03-07-2015, 10:07 PM

Yes. Jahlil tonight doesn't appear to be fighting hard enough to get position closer to basket. When he's closer, obviously much more dangerous. When farther out a few feet, allows D more time to react, double, hassle.

Underneath, our guys are getting stripped, not strong enough with ball, foolishly bring it down. Dumb.

Billy Dat
03-07-2015, 10:08 PM
Couldn't have played much worse offensively. Thankfully (and shockingly) we dominated the offensive glass. Otherwise this would be a much bigger deficit.

Okafor is not playing well at all. Very slow and passive. Disappointed that Winslow didn't take advantage of his matchup edge.

Nervous that Paige is getting hot. Hopefully our defense steps up, and hopefully our offense gets in gear.

Slow, passive and not strong with the ball.

On paper, we should be ok after missing a lot of open shots. Based on our history this season, it's tough to think we're in trouble, but the best thing about the half was just being down 2.

Missed FTs hurt, Justise missed 2 on a shooting foul that would have pushed the lead to 12 and that started their run. We missed a few front end of 1 and 1s, just not a real sharp offensive half. I thought the D was OK, UNC not looking great on that end either.

pamtar
03-07-2015, 10:09 PM
After Bilas's remarks about the SU/UNC sanctions and how he's calling the game tonight, I'm starting to not like him. He's a smart person but I feel like his agenda is starting to show.

_Gary
03-07-2015, 10:10 PM
Missed FTs hurt, Justise missed 2 on a shooting foul that would have pushed the lead to 12 and that started their run.

I believe his free throws, had he made them, would have increased the lead to 10 (20 to 10), but he missed them and even though we got the rebound and had a couple of more cracks at it, they came down and hit a 3 to cut the lead to 18-13. But it was a big sequence and the key momentum swing in the game.

g-money
03-07-2015, 10:19 PM
Flagrant foul on Winslow? Really? Absurd call.

CDu
03-07-2015, 10:22 PM

No, it is the right call, by the letter of the flagrant 1. Just a stupid thing to do. You can't trip a player.

pfrduke
03-07-2015, 10:22 PM

I think the slow motion made it look worse than it was...

BUT...

it did look like an intentional trip, so I at least sort of understand the call. Turned into a potential 7-pt swing, which was a shame.

FerryFor50
03-07-2015, 10:24 PM
I think the slow motion made it look worse than it was...

BUT...

it did look like an intentional trip, so I at least sort of understand the call. Turned into a potential 7-pt swing, which was a shame.

I think he does a lot of this stuff out of frustration of not getting foul calls.

Anyone wonder why he ended up on his rear end?

Wahoo2000
03-07-2015, 10:24 PM

That was based on history, not that one particular play. I think taken by itself, that trip was no big deal. Combined with the kick/leg clearout in the 1st half (and past incidents, particularly the one with Anderson in our game), it generates a flagrant call. Winslow should try to be careful - the last thing you want is to get that kind of rep with the refs, or they're going to be biased against you pretty much every night.

pfrduke
03-07-2015, 10:25 PM
That was based on history, not that one particular play. I think taken by itself, that trip was no big deal. Combined with the kick/leg clearout in the 1st half (and past incidents, particularly the one with Anderson in our game), it generates a flagrant call. Winslow should try to be careful - the last thing you want is to get that kind of rep with the refs, or they're going to be biased against you pretty much every night.

It was no surprise he didn't get the and-1 on the dunk 30 seconds later, when Johnson pretty clearly fouled him. I think the refs felt like he didn't quite earn that call.

CDu
03-07-2015, 10:25 PM
I think he does a lot of this stuff out of frustration of not getting foul calls.

Anyone wonder why he ended up on his rear end?

Same reason Paige ended up on his rear at the end of game 1. Two guys going for the ball and colliding in midair. It happens.

pfrduke
03-07-2015, 10:28 PM
Britt wildly pushes off - no call. Britt (I think?) bodies Jones - no call. Winslow brushes Johnson's back - foul.

Wahoo2000
03-07-2015, 10:30 PM
It was no surprise he didn't get the and-1 on the dunk 30 seconds later, when Johnson pretty clearly fouled him. I think the refs felt like he didn't quite earn that call.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm talking about.

CDu
03-07-2015, 10:31 PM
Britt wildly pushes off - no call. Britt (I think?) bodies Jones - no call. Winslow brushes Johnson's back - foul.

Yeah, that was a very poor sequence of officiating.

CDu
03-07-2015, 10:35 PM
Walking wounded: Jones lands on his tailbone. Ouch!

tfk53
03-07-2015, 10:36 PM
Tyus bounced on his drive, no call. Now on bench with injury. As much of a foul as Winslow had for his 4th.

pfrduke
03-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Big sequence for Jefferson. Couple huge rebounds.

We haven't played a lot of minutes this year with Tyus, Justise, and Jahlil all on the bench. Nice to see the team take back the lead during that stretch.

CDu
03-07-2015, 10:39 PM
Tyus bounced on his drive, no call. Now on bench with injury. As much of a foul as Winslow had for his 4th.

Tyus did the bouncing. Defender jumped straight up, Jones created space with his forearm. The pushup caused his fall. Good no-call. They have been pretty consistent tonight in not giving the driver that call (both ways).

CDu
03-07-2015, 10:40 PM
Big sequence for Jefferson. Couple huge rebounds.

We haven't played a lot of minutes this year with Tyus, Justise, and Jahlil all on the bench. Nice to see the team take back the lead during that stretch.

Yeah, Jefferson has responded. Let's hope it continues! And let's hope the frosh still have something left!

pfrduke
03-07-2015, 10:52 PM
Two HUGE shots from the backcourt.

Billy Dat
03-07-2015, 10:52 PM
Tyus making stuff happen, was that the cream or the clear they were rubbing on his back?

CDu
03-07-2015, 10:53 PM
Tyus effing Jones!

Utley
03-07-2015, 10:55 PM
Tyus Stones!!

Billy Dat
03-07-2015, 10:55 PM
We need to watch the moving screens - let's stay tough. Press messing them up.

CDu
03-07-2015, 11:00 PM
I cannot say how much I have a man-crush on Tyus Jones right now. He is just all heart.

Tripping William
TStones is one .... tough ... MoFo.

tfk53
Tyus - man of steel. How impressive.

94duke
03-07-2015, 11:01 PM
Tyus is doing his best Singler-IronMan impersonation.

barjwr
03-07-2015, 11:01 PM
I think the combination of Tyus Jones and and Bill Raftery has guaranteed our presence in the FF this year:

ONIONS!!

barjwr
03-07-2015, 11:05 PM
Officials seem to have it in for Justise tonight. Granted, he's made some dumb plays, but his last couple of fouls have been phantoms.

Billy Dat
03-07-2015, 11:07 PM
Just like we drew it up

tfk53
03-07-2015, 11:07 PM
Both teams with only 1 TO remaining. When did Roy last get to 1 minute with only 1 TO?

barjwr
03-07-2015, 11:08 PM
And when did he last use them all?!?

Billy Dat
03-07-2015, 11:09 PM
Paige is tough, just gotta get to the line and knock them down. This last segment will probably take 10 minutes.

duketaylor
03-07-2015, 11:10 PM
Why let Paige take a 3 ever? Simple defense.

Billy Dat
03-07-2015, 11:11 PM
That's what they get for trying hack a jah, unforced turnover

Billy Dat
03-07-2015, 11:15 PM
Grayson - $$$

DU82
03-07-2015, 11:15 PM
Cheaters never win! 9 f'ing F.