View Full Version : ACC All Academic Team

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-05-2015, 06:30 PM
http://m.goduke.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=209928222&DB_OEM_ID=4200&

Five Blue Devils.

One heel.

CatDevil
03-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Really proud of these fine young men. Go Duke!!!

Kedsy
03-05-2015, 11:39 PM
Interestingly enough, five of Louisville's seven All-Academics major in Communications (one majors in Sports Admin and one is a freshman who is undeclared). For Duke, Amile and Marshall are both majoring in History (the three freshmen who made it all have undeclared majors). Two of Virginia Tech's three All-Academics major in "Human Nutrition, Foods, & Exercise," while the third majors in Business. Pitt has three All-Academics with three different majors. And Georgia Tech, Miami, Clemson, and UNC (Paige, majoring in Journalism/Public Relations) have one All-Academic each.

gumbomoop
03-06-2015, 12:10 AM
Interestingly enough, five of Louisville's seven All-Academics major in Communications (one majors in Sports Admin and one is a freshman who is undeclared). For Duke, Amile and Marshall are both majoring in History (the three freshmen who made it all have undeclared majors). Two of Virginia Tech's three All-Academics major in "Human Nutrition, Foods, & Exercise," while the third majors in Business. Pitt has three All-Academics with three different majors. And Georgia Tech, Miami, Clemson, and UNC (Paige, majoring in Journalism/Public Relations) have one All-Academic each.

Yes, more than interesting, it's telling. And what it tells us is that Duke is among a very small group of ACC universities where at least a significant proportion of its student athletes are students with pressing academic loads.

It's always interesting to see such a list, roughly analogous to the way bball players' majors used to be flashed on the screen when they were at the FT line. Don't know whether that's slipped into disuse, but I think so.

Recall Cutcliffe's comment about his initial shock at the realization of his players' necessary commitment to their academic work. The playing field isn't level, nor is the bball court. Duke's not perfect, but it's always running uphill.

weezie
03-06-2015, 08:27 AM
Nobody from virginia? That's a bit surprising.

gumbomoop
03-06-2015, 09:33 AM
Nobody from virginia? That's a bit surprising.

I put it down to the distinct possibility that many of the Hoo guys are actually students. If you're a real student at a real university taking even some real courses, it's tough sledding academically. Even with grade inflation, real professors require some real work.

Hence Chancellor Folt's early, honest admission that UNC had done "shameful" things. Which tradition she then proceeded boldly to rekindle, for which I hope she, among others, is harshly penalized.

devildeac
03-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Thumbs up to Marcus Paige for his honor. I'm shocked however there are no more AFAM/PHIL/EXSS majors on that list from c*rolina:rolleyes:.

Lar77
03-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Thumbs up to Marcus Paige for his honor. I'm shocked however there are no more AFAM/PHIL/EXSS majors on that list from c*rolina:rolleyes:.

Congratulations to Marcus Paige, our 5 guys, and all the others on the list.

Marcus seems like a good guy all around. I wouldn't trade any of our guys for him, but I would take him if he cares to transfer next year.:)