PDA

View Full Version : ACC Tournament television coverage?

wilson
03-05-2015, 07:40 AM
As a teacher who will be on Spring Break next week, I will have copious amounts of time to devote to basketball, and I am really looking forward to binging on the ACC Tournament. However, in typically ridiculous fashion, the conference has the TV coverage listed on both ESPN networks and the ACC Network. In the past, it has always been either/or; games that are listed on both networks never actually air on both. However, research on both the conference website and TV Guide's listings reveals no distinction, and the tournament is listed on both channels. Does anybody know how I can definitively find out where I'll be able to view the tournament?
And of course the secondary question is, does anybody know why the conference insists on perpetuating this ridiculous, embarrassing, infuriating approach to broadcast scheduling?

SCMatt33
03-05-2015, 08:49 AM
As a teacher who will be on Spring Break next week, I will have copious amounts of time to devote to basketball, and I am really looking forward to binging on the ACC Tournament. However, in typically ridiculous fashion, the conference has the TV coverage listed on both ESPN networks and the ACC Network. In the past, it has always been either/or; games that are listed on both networks never actually air on both. However, research on both the conference website and TV Guide's listings reveals no distinction, and the tournament is listed on both channels. Does anybody know how I can definitively find out where I'll be able to view the tournament?
And of course the secondary question is, does anybody know why the conference insists on perpetuating this ridiculous, embarrassing, infuriating approach to broadcast scheduling?

Has that been the case the case in the very recent past? I'm not in the ACC footprint, but I would have thought that the new ESPN contract got rid of the blackouts, much like for the Duke/Carolina games. I can't find anything either for ACC network affiates but they may not be finalized until match ups are certain. Also, everyone should have mobile options through either the ACC or ESPN (WatchESPN might be subject to blackout). Most of this is an educated guess though, as I see nothing definitive yet in my search.

MulletMan
03-05-2015, 09:38 AM

As far as I can remember for the last number of years games have appeared on both networks simultaneously. The memory of turning from ESPN to WRAL in order to listen to Brando and Gman over Vitale and whoever is relatively vivid.

gumbomoop
03-05-2015, 10:24 AM
Does anybody know how I can definitively find out where I'll be able to view the tournament?

No simple task, for sure, and complicated even more by the fact that in some areas, there are (at least) 2 stations serving as the/an ACC Network affiliate. I'll be in the Greenville-Spartanburg axis in March, and I now know that 2 different local stations will share ACCT coverage, one having the day games, the other the night games.

To your question, I have found a site called locatetv.com very helpful for many such scheduling issues. Generally if I Bing a specific station -- such as upstate SC station WMYA My 40, a known ACC Network affiliate -- I'll get a link (not necessarily the first link, but maybe 3d-4th) to a locate tv.com list of their complete schedule for about the next two weeks. Very concrete, almost always accurate.

This doesn't answer the question re ESPN blackout, i.e., preference given to local ACC Network affiliate. But it's a good idea to know beforehand which station is your ACC Network affiliate, and then go to their own schedule listing, via locate tv.com. Further, I often prefer the ACC Network color announcer, especially if it's Bonner, Gminski.

If you follow up on this locatetv.com stuff, I wouldn't mind hearing how you fared. If by chance it doesn't help, post again with your ACC Network affiliate(s), and I'll give it a try.

CMS2478
03-05-2015, 10:26 AM
I will be at the ACC Tourney and have tickets in the Duke section on the sideline in section 232, but we are in the very last row. Anybody have any clue how well we will be able to see? Is the Greensboro Coliseum very high up where we will need binoculars? Thanks in advanced for any input you guys may have if you've sat near the top before.

wilson
03-05-2015, 10:30 AM
To your question, I have found a site called locatetv.com very helpful for many such scheduling issues. Generally if I Bing a specific station -- such as upstate SC station WMYA My 40, a known ACC Network affiliate -- I'll get a link (not necessarily the first link, but maybe 3d-4th) to a locate tv.com list of their complete schedule for about the next two weeks. Very concrete, almost always accurate.

This doesn't answer the question re ESPN blackout, i.e., preference given to local ACC Network affiliate. But it's a good idea to know beforehand which station is your ACC Network affiliate, and then go to their own schedule listing, via locate tv.com. Further, I often prefer the ACC Network color announcer, especially if it's Bonner, Gminski.Nice info; thanks for this response.
My biggest issue, though, is that I'm a cord-cutter, and generally speaking, WatchESPN on Roku gives me better results than over-the-air. I can make arrangements to watch somewhere other than home if need be, but my first preference would be my own living room with a generous supply of, ahem, Cokes. So I would just like confirmation as to whether or not the ESPN blackout will apply in my area...which the ACC is either incapable of or unwilling to provide.:mad:

CameronBornAndBred
03-05-2015, 11:42 AM
I watched last night's game on theacc.com network, its feed was a little faster than that of espn3. I'm assuming they will be showing the whole tournament on theacc.com as well.

P.S...it annoys me to no end that even though I live only 2.5 hours away from campus, I can't watch some games (like last night's) on TV. Our local affiliate plays the games on some secondary channel that I can't get.