PDA

View Full Version : Who was honored/recognized on Senior Night?

SoCalDukeFan
03-04-2015, 11:52 PM
Obviously Quinn Cook and Sean Kelly. Perhaps a manager.

Was there any recognition that this was probably the last home game for any of the Frosh?

Thanks

SoCal

Native
03-04-2015, 11:56 PM
Quinn and Sean both gave great speeches post-game and were honored pre-game.

No recognition of the freshmen.

stillcrazie
03-05-2015, 12:02 AM
Managers and families were also recognized.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-05-2015, 12:17 AM
Before the game the managers and players (Quinn and Sean) were all honored. After the game, Sean and then Quinn spoke. Fortunately, Q didn't hand the microphone to Jah for a few words. Q did say, pointing to the National Championship banners, that the team hoped to hang another banner "up there"! :cool:

OZ
03-05-2015, 12:28 AM
Before the game the managers and players (Quinn and Sean) were all honored. After the game, Sean and then Quinn spoke. Fortunately, Q didn't hand the microphone to Jah for a few words. Q did say, pointing to the National Championship banners, that the team hoped to hang another banner "up there"! :cool:

Speeches are on goduke.com

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=4200&id=3773200

subzero02
03-05-2015, 04:14 AM
Tony Romo

jimsumner
03-05-2015, 10:23 AM
Duke has never recognized anyone other than seniors, even if early NBA entry was a foregone conclusion. It is Senior Day, after all.

FerryFor50
03-05-2015, 10:29 AM
Kind of wish they had managed to get Sean Kelly at least one shot before the game ended. They probably could have had him come in, sooner, too. I think that 40 point lead with 4 min to go was pretty safe.

DukieInKansas
03-05-2015, 10:34 AM
Duke has never recognized anyone other than seniors, even if early NBA entry was a foregone conclusion. It is Senior Day, after all.

I think Jason Williams was the only "exception" since he was recognized on Senior Night when he left after 3 years - but he graduated in 3 years so he was a senior. I remember being questioned about it at the time.

juise
03-05-2015, 12:58 PM
I think Jason Williams was the only "exception" since he was recognized on Senior Night when he left after 3 years - but he graduated in 3 years so he was a senior. I remember being questioned about it at the time.

I'm fairly certain that Jason and Carlos were both honored that night (a wonderful thrashing of a UNC team that didn't make the tournament and was completely reliant on Jason Capel).

ChillinDuke
03-05-2015, 01:02 PM
Are the introductions viewable anywhere?

There have been more than a few memorable/emotional ones over the years. I was hoping to see Quinn's.

Something about the intros gives me goosebumps. Perhaps it's my own personal closure seeing these kids grow into men. Or maybe it's just the rarity of the moment. Or all of the above.

- Chillin

MCFinARL
03-05-2015, 02:41 PM
Kind of wish they had managed to get Sean Kelly at least one shot before the game ended. They probably could have had him come in, sooner, too. I think that 40 point lead with 4 min to go was pretty safe.

Yes--and maybe if he had been a four-year player they would have. Fair or not, I suspect the fact that he was a team member only this year may have made it seem less urgent to get him a shot.

DukieInKansas
03-05-2015, 02:49 PM
Yes--and maybe if he had been a four-year player they would have. Fair or not, I suspect the fact that he was a team member only this year may have made it seem less urgent to get him a shot.

I know it didn't get him any stats but it appeared that Coach K wanted him to be the one with the ball at the end of the game. So, in effect, he ended his home career as a manager as he managed to dribble out the clock. :D

weezie
03-05-2015, 03:37 PM
Something about the intros gives me goosebumps. Perhaps it's my own personal closure seeing these kids grow into men. Or maybe it's just the rarity of the moment. Or all of the above.

- Chillin

Quinn acknowledged Nolan in the stands and that's when I welled up. To be a captain for Duke Basketball, even just an inkling of what that must mean to these men, it's such a small club! Watching Nolan touch his own heart and salute Quinn, that was such a lovely moment....