PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Coach Hurley!

CameronBornAndBred
03-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Bobby Hurley coached his Buffalo Bills to a victory tonight, sealing up a 20 win season. His team is in second in the Mid-American East, one half game behind Bowling Green, whom they play Friday night for the season finale.
20 wins in his second year (after 19 last year), that's pretty impressive.
http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/mbkb/index

OldPhiKap
03-03-2015, 09:12 PM
Bobby Hurley coached his Buffalo Bills to a victory tonight, sealing up a 20 win season. His team is in second in the Mid-American East, one half game behind Bowling Green, whom they play Friday night for the season finale.

Way to go, Bobby!

Newton_14
03-03-2015, 10:06 PM

Awesome. Thanks for sharing Chris. I have always hated that it never worked out for Hurley to be an assistant under K. I may be misremembering, but I think he was in the running for it when Collins got the gig, but I may be wrong. It sure would have been great to have him sitting on that bench next to K.

I think we have to add his name now as a candidate to succeed K whenever that day comes. The guy is showing his skills. Hopefully he continues to build on his success.

brevity
03-03-2015, 10:21 PM
Bobby Hurley coached his Buffalo Bills to a victory tonight...

Even when he was a skinny freshman, I always saw him as the next Marv Levy.

20 wins in a season is great. Belichick could only get to 18.

CameronBornAndBred
03-03-2015, 10:24 PM
Even when he was a skinny freshman, I always saw him as the next Marv Levy.

20 wins in a season is great. Belichick could only get to 18.
BULLS..lol. Hard to get my typing fingers to cooperate. ;)

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-03-2015, 10:43 PM
Awesome. Thanks for sharing Chris. I have always hated that it never worked out for Hurley to be an assistant under K. I may be misremembering, but I think he was in the running for it when Collins got the gig, but I may be wrong. It sure would have been great to have him sitting on that bench next to K.

I think we have to add his name now as a candidate to succeed K whenever that day comes. The guy is showing his skills. Hopefully he continues to build on his success.
I was thinking the same thing. Of all the potential candidates, I think I'd be most excited to see #11 pacing the sidelines!

CameronBornAndBred
03-03-2015, 10:57 PM
Thanks to Kent State, Bowling Green is now TIED with Buffalo, setting up a sweet show down Friday night. (They've played once already, Bobby's boys won.)

53n206
03-03-2015, 11:50 PM
Wonderful, but not surprising, to see Bobby doing so well in coaching. Keep it up, it's wonderful to see a winner win.

martydoesntfoul
03-04-2015, 01:20 AM
Sweet!!

BigWayne
03-04-2015, 02:58 AM
Thanks to Kent State, Bowling Green is now TIED with Buffalo, setting up a sweet show down Friday night. (They've played once already, Bobby's boys won.)
Really big game because of way the MAC tournament is set up. A win for Buffalo and they are in good shape to get the #2 seed and no worse than 4th. With a loss, they can get as low as #5 and be forced to play two more rounds than #2 does in the MAC tournament.

TKG
03-04-2015, 09:00 AM
From the Buffalo News:

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/bucky-gleason/under-hurley-ub-has-matured-into-one-tough-team-20150304

rtnorthrup
03-04-2015, 09:59 AM
Great news, thanks for posting all this information.

Congrats Coach Hurley.

Jeffrey
03-04-2015, 01:23 PM
I may be misremembering, but I think he was in the running for it when Collins got the gig, but I may be wrong.

Hi,

Is that correct? I thought Bobby did not want to be involved with basketball in 2000.

FireOgilvie
03-04-2015, 05:09 PM
Face morph:

CameronBornAndBred
03-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Buffalo capped off a 6 game win streak with a 77-75 victory over Bowling Green last night and will be the #2 seed in their tournament.

dbcooper
03-08-2015, 11:44 AM
And lets not forget Buffalo was up on Kentucky by 5 at halftime in Rupp.

I think once the "Ring Master" decides hes had enough success and rewritten all the record books, IMO - Bobby Hurley would be and excellent choice.

Coach Hurley has Skills!

Congrats!

DB ---E

Dukehky
03-08-2015, 11:57 AM
And lets not forget Buffalo was up on Kentucky by 5 at halftime in Rupp.

I think once the "Ring Master" decides hes had enough success and rewritten all the record books, IMO - Bobby Hurley would be and excellent choice.

Coach Hurley has Skills!

Congrats!

DB ---E

It's Capel. Why are you guys not getting this? It's Capel. He is a recruiting machine with high level D-1 experience and success. Stop even looking elsewhere.

Hurley has done an awesome job at Buffalo though.

jimsumner
03-08-2015, 01:11 PM
I find it interesting that we all too easily assume that K's replacement will come from within the "family"-Dawkins, Amaker, Collins, Wojo, Capel, Hurley.

But why do we assume that? Wouldn't Duke's best interests be served by widening the search parameters from just K's guys to the entire known universe?

Our friends eight miles down the road provide an object lesson in what can go wrong when you insist on staying in the family.

OldPhiKap
03-08-2015, 01:29 PM
I find it interesting that we all too easily assume that K's replacement will come from within the "family"-Dawkins, Amaker, Collins, Wojo, Capel, Hurley.

But why do we assume that? Wouldn't Duke's best interests be served by widening the search parameters from just K's guys to the entire known universe?

Our friends eight miles down the road provide an object lesson in what can go wrong when you insist on staying in the family.

I would hope we look at everyone. My guess is that K will have considerable input, which makes me think it is someone in the family. That also helps the transition -- irs a guy who knows what is like to play here (like Mike at Army).

But D'oh! is a cautionary tale. Roy may be, too, if the banners come down.

Henderson
03-08-2015, 01:29 PM

People have mentioned Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens too. I'm sure the search will be wide when it comes, as it should be.

It's just hard to identify individuals this far in advance who are outside the K tree and who might be available, suitable, and interested. So the discussion revolves around candidates who likely meet each of those criteria. No surprise that they are all Coach K protoges. When the time comes, other names will get play, some of whom may be unfamiliar to us right now.

jimsumner
03-08-2015, 02:09 PM
People have mentioned Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens too. I'm sure the search will be wide when it comes, as it should be.

It's just hard to identify individuals this far in advance who are outside the K tree and who might be available, suitable, and interested. So the discussion revolves around candidates who likely meet each of those criteria. No surprise that they are all Coach K protoges. When the time comes, other names will get play, some of whom may be unfamiliar to us right now.

But do we know that K's guys are available, suitable and interested? My understanding is that Amaker (and his wife) really like Harvard and aren't interesting in moving out. Collins is a Chicago guy. If he gets Northwestern going, maybe he wants to stay. If he doesn't, maybe he's not the guy for the job anyway.

That applies to all these guys. If they're really good elsewhere, then maybe they want to stay. If not, then why want them?

And yes, I do understand the appeal of the alma mater calling you home. I knew Spurrier was gone the second I heard Florida was after them. So, maybe these guys can't resist the Sirens. Or maybe they can.

That brings up a second question. Is being K's replacement really that desirable? I've always maintained that you don't want to be the coach who replaces the legend, you want to be the coach who replaces the coach who replaces the legend. Or maybe more coaches removed than that. Every IU coach since Knight has been compared to Knight and been found wanting.

Duke has tremendous name recognition, a superb infrastructure and an institutional commitment to maintaining the program at the highest level. I don't expect Duke to drop very far after K leaves. If at all.

But the expectations and the pressure on K's replacement are going to be off the charts. Gene Bartow replaced Wooden and got axed after two seasons, which were quite good by any rational standards. A good bit of the Kentucky fan base loathed Joe B. Hall, who to be fair, wasn't exactly Mr. Personality. But he wasn't the Baron of the Bluegrass.

Hopefully, Duke won't have to ask these questions for some time down the road. But K is approaching 70. Wooden was 64 when he retired and we thought he was an old man (yikes, I'm older than Wooden was when he retired. Double yikes!!).

I expect five more years from K. But I've been saying that for 10 years. :)

That said, I think Brad Stevens will very much in the mix. Very, very much.

Interesting that Hurley and Capel both have fathers who were/are coaches and younger brothers who are/were coaches. The family business. I'm not surprised that Hurley is doing so well. I'm just surprised that it took him so long to get the other stuff out of his system. Of all of K's players, Amaker and Hurley were the two who just screamed "future head coach." Maybe Wojo.

OldPhiKap
03-08-2015, 02:17 PM
But do we know that K's guys are available, suitable and interested? My understanding is that Amaker (and his wife) really like Harvard and aren't interesting in moving out. Collins is a Chicago guy. If he gets Northwestern going, maybe he wants to stay. If he doesn't, maybe he's not the guy for the job anyway.

That applies to all these guys. If they're really good elsewhere, then maybe they want to stay. If not, then why want them?

And yes, I do understand the appeal of the alma mater calling you home. I knew Spurrier was gone the second I heard Florida was after them. So, maybe these guys can't resist the Sirens. Or maybe they can.

That brings up a second question. Is being K's replacement really that desirable? I've always maintained that you don't want to be the coach who replaces the legend, you want to be the coach who replaces the coach who replaces the legend. Or maybe more coaches removed than that. Every IU coach since Knight has been compared to Knight and been found wanting.

Duke has tremendous name recognition, a superb infrastructure and an institutional commitment to maintaining the program at the highest level. I don't expect Duke to drop very far after K leaves. If at all.

But the expectations and the pressure on K's replacement are going to be off the charts. Gene Bartow replaced Wooden and got axed after two seasons, which were quite good by any rational standards. A good bit of the Kentucky fan base loathed Joe B. Hall, who to be fair, wasn't exactly Mr. Personality. But he wasn't the Baron of the Bluegrass.

Hopefully, Duke won't have to ask these questions for some time down the road. But K is approaching 70. Wooden was 64 when he retired and we thought he was an old man (yikes, I'm older than Wooden was when he retired. Double yikes!!).

I expect five more years from K. But I've been saying that for 10 years. :)

That said, I think Brad Stevens will very much in the mix. Very, very much.

Interesting that Hurley and Capel both have fathers who were/are coaches and younger brothers who are/were coaches. The family business. I'm not surprised that Hurley is doing so well. I'm just surprised that it took him so long to get the other stuff out of his system. Of all of K's players, Amaker and Hurley were the two who just screamed "future head coach." Maybe Wojo.

Hope Brad is in the mix of consideration. But that might assume that he is not at Carolina. I see Roy leaving before K (because I don't see Roy lasting another three years there, I would almost bet heads up on him retiring after this year).

Henderson
03-08-2015, 02:25 PM
But do we know that K's guys are available, suitable and interested?

No. But they seem more so than a random throw of a dart at other coaches we can name.

That brings up a second question. Is being K's replacement really that desirable? .
Gawdawful pressure. But then there's this:

So the gig isn't all bad, especially if the person coming in is on the upswing of his career.

Hopefully, Duke won't have to ask these questions for some time down the road. But K is approaching 70.

Everyone is. It's just a matter of degree.

I'd be interested to know about really promising young head coaches at other schools we might not have heard of, or even promising assistants. Whoever replaces K should have the potential to make his own mark, rather than just being they guy who replaced The Guy. Any thoughts on that, Jim?

hurleyfor3
03-08-2015, 02:29 PM
Did we really have to turn this into another "who will succeed K" thread? Can't we just celebrate the success of one of our own for awhile?

Stray Gator
03-08-2015, 02:33 PM
. . . That brings up a second question. Is being K's replacement really that desirable? I've always maintained that you don't want to be the coach who replaces the legend, you want to be the coach who replaces the coach who replaces the legend. Or maybe more coaches removed than that. Every IU coach since Knight has been compared to Knight and been found wanting.

But the expectations and the pressure on K's replacement are going to be off the charts. . . .

I believe that K possesses three attributes in abundance that are a foundation for his enduring success as a basketball coach: (1) a burning desire to win (and corresponding intolerance for losing); (2) supreme confidence in his ability to mold a group of players into a team, teach them how to function (and fight through adversity) effectively together, and motivate them to compete against any foe; and (3) an insatiable hunger to confront challenges and prove that he can prevail. If we want to secure a successor who possesses those same qualities, then I believe we should find a coach who will welcome the opportunity to be the coach who replaces the legend.

sagegrouse
03-08-2015, 02:38 PM

Jim, it seems to me that the position of Duke basketball head coach is at the pinnacle of the profession. The pay will be several million per year. The spotlight will be on the Duke program and its new coach. It's a chance to be real star. I'd have to say that all the named alums would jump at the chance, if they still had big ambitions, which I believe they do.

Brad Stevens is in a different situation in the NBA, and it would be much more of a lateral move, assuming he is successful with the Celtics. It would depend on whether he wanted to return to college.

With respect to K's "laying on of the hands" for his successor -- ugh! I hope he doesn't. That's not the way the Army does it. Moreover, Duke seems to always say, in the case of vacancies in senior positions, "We are going to do a national search to find the best candidate." That should be the criterion.

brevity
03-08-2015, 02:43 PM
Did we really have to turn this into another "who will succeed K" thread? Can't we just celebrate the success of one of our own for awhile?

No.

Jim Sumner's mention of John Wooden reminds me that another coach (and disciple of Bobby Knight) recently became available...

Read the full-size version here (https://originaldave77.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/swanson-pyramid-of-greatness-pc-2560x1600.png).