PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Wake Forest (3/4/15 8 pm, ACCN/ESPN3) Pre- & In-Game Thread

Bob Green
03-03-2015, 03:47 PM
Let's discuss the game.

-jk
03-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Thanks, Quinn! And anyone else with a last home game. <sigh>

Looks like ACC Network:

http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-network-affiliates-wake-forest-at-duke-03-04-2015

And the early line is 18.

-jk

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2015, 04:00 PM
This is a team that is offensively and defensively not gifted. They rank 116 and 113 in offensive and defensive efficiency, according to KenPom. Only FSU, VT, and BC are worse. However, Duke has had problems with two of those three teams. It seems like the worse a team is, the more we underestimate them. Bad mentality to have.

Fortunately, we have two things riding in our favor. 1) we're at Cameron. 2) it's Quinn Cook's last game in Cameron. And, given what Cook has not only given the team but especially the freshman, I hope we come out guns blazing and don't stop until the clock hits 00:00.

I don't think this will be that competitive of a game, because Duke has been WFU before and because of 1) and 2) above. Obviously, I'm looking to see how this team fights given that UNC is just around the corner. But, more importantly, I'm looking to see how the crowd and Coach K honors Quinn Cook, a three year starter and phenomenal Duke representative.

Tripping William
03-03-2015, 04:08 PM
I'm hopeful that the team and coaching staff did not actually need a few days of focused, undistracted preparation for the Deacs. Because they surely didn't get it. Wake has the component parts to be dangerous, and it's no like Duke blew their doors off in W-S. Still, at home for QC's Senior Night, I'm cautiously optimistic this won't be a Maalox Masher.

Eakane
03-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Last year before the Wake game, the conversations here centered around "if we run the table do we get a one seed?" Then we went to Wake and lost. One difference this year, of course, is that the game is at Duke. Another is that Duke actually plays defense this year. But this year's Wake team is better than last year's, and has a better coach. This makes them dangerous. We can afford a loss and retain a one seed this year, but not if that loss is to Wake tomorrow.

The other prevalent conversation last year was about "if we can just get Cook to realize how important he is and assert himself..." QC has had a brilliant senior campaign. I don't think anyone could ask for more from him.
Senior Night is always an emotional affair, but I expect Cook to channel that emotion into positive energy and have a final Cameron night to remember.

Kedsy
03-03-2015, 04:09 PM
This is a team that is offensively and defensively not gifted. They rank 116 and 113 in offensive and defensive efficiency, according to KenPom. Only FSU, VT, and BC are worse. However, Duke has had problems with two of those three teams. It seems like the worse a team is, the more we underestimate them. Bad mentality to have.

Fortunately, we have two things riding in our favor. 1) we're at Cameron. 2) it's Quinn Cook's last game in Cameron. And, given what Cook has not only given the team but especially the freshman, I hope we come out guns blazing and don't stop until the clock hits 00:00.

I don't think this will be that competitive of a game, because Duke has [s]een WFU before and because of 1) and 2) above. Obviously, I'm looking to see how this team fights given that UNC is just around the corner. But, more importantly, I'm looking to see how the crowd and Coach K honors Quinn Cook, a three year starter and phenomenal Duke representative.

Getting back to my hypothesis which I stated before the Syracuse game -- I believe this year's Duke team may be prone to take lesser teams for granted, but much less so if we've played against them already. After our 30 point win in Notre Dame II and our 19 point win in Syracuse II, I'm hoping the hypothesis goes 3 for 3 after tomorrow's Wake game.

Incidentally, I suspect the Quinn's-last-game factor might get the team too keyed up, the way it seemed to in the first UNC game. Hopefully, if it happens it won't last long.

Troublemaker
03-03-2015, 04:23 PM
2) it's Quinn Cook's last game in Cameron. And, given what Cook has not only given the team but especially the freshman, I hope we come out guns blazing and don't stop until the clock hits 00:00.

In the post-Syracuse interviews, Quinn's teammates were already talking about Senior Night and sending him out with a bang.

Tomorrow, Duke will FINALLY break our recent habit of alternating good and mediocre performances, methinks.

Duvall
03-03-2015, 04:24 PM
Tomorrow, Duke will FINALLY break our recent habit of alternating good and mediocre performances, methinks.

Although, if we could keep that pattern going for just one more week...

Seattle Hoo
03-03-2015, 04:26 PM
Wake is a dangerous team if they get to the last segment of the game and feel like they have a chance. They have a post scorer in Devin Thomas, a stretch 4 in the Greek, a couple of guys who can drive to the hoop, and some other shooters. They do seem pretty bad defensively, though. The first time we played them, we came out with our heads up our butts, then got serious and put a 20-point run on them, then got lazy with a big lead and made some incredibly stupid offensive decisions. They paid for it in Winston-Salem. Thomas doesn't like to play defense anymore than Okafor does. If your team patiently and aggressively puts the ball in the paint, I doubt they can score enough to keep up.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-03-2015, 04:28 PM
I know that Duke typically only puts jerseys up in the rafters that win NPOY or DPOY or multiple all Americas, I don't know the exact criteria but its something like that. With the age of the one and done and Duke embracing it so, I wonder if its time to take another look at this? I know there are a lot of people who feel that Nolan Smith should have his jersey up there, and I happen to think Kyle Singler is deserving. With this new age of college hoops the players who are superstars just aren't going to be in college long enough to earn a jersey retirement. Thoughts...

I mention this because its Quinn Cooks last game in Cameron, and the guy has given me a lot of memories, obviously I don't think he deserves a jersey retirement but what if he continues to average 27 points a game and finishes with the best assist to turnover ratio in Duke history? Then lets say we win the ACC championship and he is MVP, then we win the Regional and he is MVP, finally we win 2 games in the final four and he is the MVP. I would say a four year career at this point in college hoops that culminates in a run like that would be well deserving of a jersey retirement. Especially when Quinn is the unquestioned leader on this team. Just my two cents, and not saying that is whats going to happen, but sure would be nice. Old Timers don't kill me for comparing Quinn to the all time greats, I am just saying in this new age of hoops it may start being all we can expect.

jv001
03-03-2015, 04:40 PM
I know that Duke typically only puts jerseys up in the rafters that win NPOY or DPOY or multiple all Americas, I don't know the exact criteria but its something like that. With the age of the one and done and Duke embracing it so, I wonder if its time to take another look at this? I know there are a lot of people who feel that Nolan Smith should have his jersey up there, and I happen to think Kyle Singler is deserving. With this new age of college hoops the players who are superstars just aren't going to be in college long enough to earn a jersey retirement. Thoughts...

I mention this because its Quinn Cooks last game in Cameron, and the guy has given me a lot of memories, obviously I don't think he deserves a jersey retirement but what if he continues to average 27 points a game and finishes with the best assist to turnover ratio in Duke history? Then lets say we win the ACC championship and he is MVP, then we win the Regional and he is MVP, finally we win 2 games in the final four and he is the MVP. I would say a four year career at this point in college hoops that culminates in a run like that would be well deserving of a jersey retirement. Especially when Quinn is the unquestioned leader on this team. Just my two cents, and not saying that is whats going to happen, but sure would be nice. Old Timers don't kill me for comparing Quinn to the all time greats, I am just saying in this new age of hoops it may start being all we can expect.

I know we've had threads on jersey retirements in the past. You make a pretty good point regarding OAD era. But I believe there are more 4 year players that should have their number hanging from the rafters than Quinn and Nolan. I think Alarie and Denton deserve to have their numbers retired. They were very good players. But I don't think either won a NCAAT or was First team AA. GoDuke!

blUDAYvil
03-03-2015, 04:47 PM
I found this refresher on the criteria for jersey retirements helpful. Despite the OAD era, I like the fact that our criteria is different from others'.

http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/media-guides/mbb/2014-15/Tradition%20106-120.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=4200

"Though there is no ‘official’ criteria to have a jersey retired at
Duke, a player must achieve at a national level — earn National
Player of the Year or National Defensive Player of the Year honors,
set an NCAA record, win a gold medal representing his country in the
Olympics or earn All-America recognition. What distinguishes Duke’s
retired jersey players from many other schools is the main criteria.
No jersey will be retired at Duke unless the player has earned his
degree. "

gam7
03-03-2015, 04:58 PM
I look forward to the end of our 3-consecutive-game sprained ankle streak on Wednesday.

subzero02
03-03-2015, 05:17 PM

If Kyle's individual and team accomplishments didn't cut it, I don't see Quinn earning enough accolades to have his jersey retired either. Let's enjoy and embrace his last game in Cameron and hopefully a multiple championship run.

uh_no
03-03-2015, 05:32 PM
i predict a win by 30 :)

we've done very well in our repeat games thus far and our first game was before the two meltdowns before the defense revamped. We're killing it at home of late, and wake forest is not nearly as good a defense as cuse (and about the same on O).

It's senior night and the students ought to be ready.

Olympic Fan
03-03-2015, 05:44 PM
The location of this game is important.

In a lot of cases, it's not -- in the rivalry with North Carolina and the old series with Maryland, homecourt was just a minor factor.

But it does mean something to certain schools (NC State, for instance) -- none more than Wake. If you look back over recent history, almost every Duke visit to Winston-Salem has been a difficult game ... but almost every Wake visit to Duke has been a solid to easy Duke victory. Wake last won in Durham in 1997 -- when Tim Duncan was matching up against Greg Newton. Since then, Duke is 15-0 vs. Wake in Durham -- and every single one of them has been by at least 10 points.

And it's not just Duke -- Jeff Bzdelik won two ACC road games in four years at Wake ... Danny Manning's first Wake team is 0-7 on the road in the ACC.

I'd be shocked in Wake wins Wednesday night or even turns it into a thriller.

To be fair, Wake did play Virginia a one-point game in Charlottesville. The also lost in OT at Syracuse and in double OT at FSU.

PS I'm sorry somebody brought up the retired jersey question in regards Quinn, How about saving that for another time and place? I want to praise and celebrate Quinn's career this week -- not nitpick about whether he deserves to be in the rafters. I think that's one reason Coach K changed the jersey retirement ceremony to the next year and not on senior day -- he doesn't want the issue to be a distraction. Bring it up again in May and I'll be glad to join the debate.

77devil
03-03-2015, 07:22 PM

Looks like ACC Network:

http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-network-affiliates-wake-forest-at-duke-03-04-2015

And the early line is 18.

-jk

Apparently participation in the ACC Network is voluntary as the station in Savannah listed is not broadcasting the game.

weezie
03-03-2015, 07:48 PM

I hear that. I'm getting a bit choked up already, thinking about everything Quinn has seen and been through during these past four years. All the guys who cycled through, all the guys who stayed, ups and downs. Wow, this is going to be a tough farewell.

Our Captain!

MCFinARL
03-03-2015, 09:10 PM
I hear that. I'm getting a bit choked up already, thinking about everything Quinn has seen and been through during these past four years. All the guys who cycled through, all the guys who stayed, ups and downs. Wow, this is going to be a tough farewell.

Our Captain!

Yes. Will be sad to see the last of Jahlil, who has been a fine representative of Duke, and if it turns out that way, also the last of Justise and/or Tyus, who have also been great. But Quinn is something special--a four-year guy who has grown into a man before our eyes. DMV represent!

budwom
03-04-2015, 08:46 AM
I would love to see some small measure of defense played this time against Thomas.

David Bunkley
03-04-2015, 08:59 AM
Senior Night is supposed to be a celebration.

I'd like to see us play well, avoid injury, and send Quinn out with a big W.

#GODUKE

DukeFanSince1990
03-04-2015, 09:27 AM
What about the most serious issue.....WHICH UNIFORMS WILL BE USED?

But seriously, It seems like Quinn just got here. What a player, he is a huge part of our success this year.

CDu
03-04-2015, 10:24 AM

I don't think this will be that competitive of a game, because Duke has been WFU before and because of 1) and 2) above. Obviously, I'm looking to see how this team fights given that UNC is just around the corner. But, more importantly, I'm looking to see how the crowd and Coach K honors Quinn Cook, a three year starter and phenomenal Duke representative.

I will add this: while it is absolutely true that Wake is very mediocre on both ends of the floor for the season, they do have some very talented players. Miller-McIntyre and Thomas are both All-ACC type talents (not necessarily shown in their overall production, but they have that level of talent) at PG and C. Alongside them, they have Mitoglou (a classic European stretch-4) and Wilbekin (younger brother of Scottie Wilbekin) as two fantastic 3pt shooters. Wake fills in around those four with a series of guys who are athletic but otherwise nondescript. They did give us a tough game in the Joel earlier this year.

Now, that being said, I do agree that we are better suited to handle them this time around. The two reasons you've provided above are good examples of why, but I'd add that the last time we faced them we were not playing as well defensively (this was in the pre-zone era), and as Kedsy noted we have tended to play better in the rematches this year (which have all been at home so far, coincidentally enough).

This isn't a team to take lightly, but like the Dutchman I'm not concerned too much about a letdown. Let's send Cook out with a great memory.

It is certainly sad that Cook is leaving. I've long believed that a big part of recruiting is the personalities on the team are a big selling point in recruiting players. I think Nolan Smith was a HUGE recruit because of his infectious personality, and having him here I think really helped land guys like Dawkins, Irving, and Cook. Similarly, I think Cook (who is every bit as personable as Smith, and seems to be loved by everyone) has really helped in recruiting the next group of young players. He has been such a good ambassador for Duke, and I'm thrilled that he's having such a great senior season.

I do wonder who will fill that void once he's gone. Jefferson and Plumlee will be the seniors, but I don't think either of them has that "it" factor that Cook has. Matt Jones will be a junior, but again he seems more like Jefferson as "one of the guys". Maybe one of these guys will emerge next year as that guy. It will be fun to see who (if anyone) does fill that role. Whoever does will have very tough shoes to fill.

In any case, that is a "next year" concern. For now, let's go get Cook one last win in Cameron!

weezie
03-04-2015, 10:25 AM
What's you weather forecast for Thursday D'urm folks? Getting ready to shove off right now....

Olympic Fan
03-04-2015, 11:15 AM
What's you weather forecast for Thursday D'urm folks? Getting ready to shove off right now....

Currently 57 and sunny ... predicted high of 76!

The temp drops later tonight with some chance of rain un the early-morning hours Thursday, but it will be nowhere near freezing and unless you are headed well north of Durham, no frozen precip.

The temp drops all day Thursday and by 7-8 p.m. some light wintry mix is expected.

Troublemaker
03-04-2015, 11:23 AM
I would love to see some small measure of defense played this time against Thomas.

Yeah, in the first game, Devin Thomas really had his way with Jahlil by facing him up and driving past him. Like you, I am interested in seeing if Jah can defend this better the second time around.

If not, though, I think we'll still be alright. Despite Thomas going off last time, Duke held Wake Forest to 0.9 ppp by shutting down everyone else. Because Thomas is a very good passer, I would not double-team him and open up three-pt shot opportunities for his teammates. In the role of the big favorite, we need to choose the less volatile route. By himself, Thomas probably can't beat Duke.

...I'd add that the last time we faced them we were not playing as well defensively (this was in the pre-zone era)

Well, when Duke played Wake the first time, we were ranked somewhere around 15th defensively and, as noted above, we actually held the Deacs to a low ppp. Now, it's true that the NCSU and Miami games were just around the corner, and maybe defensive slippage had already started to seep in against Wake Forest and we just got lucky that they didn't score more. But I remember Duke's offense being a much bigger issue against the Deacs. My memory is of Duke committing careless turnovers in transition and against Wake's double-teams on Jah (and, looking back, I'm surprised that our team's turnover count was "only" 14 because it felt like more.)

Seattle Hoo
03-04-2015, 11:24 AM
It is certainly sad that Cook is leaving. I've long believed that a big part of recruiting is the personalities on the team are a big selling point in recruiting players. I think Nolan Smith was a HUGE recruit because of his infectious personality, and having him here I think really helped land guys like Dawkins, Irving, and Cook. Similarly, I think Cook (who is every bit as personable as Smith, and seems to be loved by everyone) has really helped in recruiting the next group of young players. He has been such a good ambassador for Duke, and I'm thrilled that he's having such a great senior season.

I think you have a great point here. All of Virginia's recruits have pointed to the relationships among the players and with the coaches as being big factors in their decision. They see how happy everybody is with each other and it's an environment they want to be in. It perpetuates itself. It also pays dividends in areas other than recruiting. Everybody who has been part of a military or has studied military history knows that esprit de corps is a crucial part of elite units. A unit performs better if every member knows that every other member has his back, and that he will not be left behind. A guy like Cook helps create that atmosphere.

Another thing that I think has been lost a little bit at Duke is the value of veterans in inculcating a culture in rookies. Peers are much more effective at teaching than are authority figures. When you have veterans, they can teach the newcomers the values and principles of the culture, and the newcomers internalize those things much more quickly and completely than when the authority figures are preaching them. You always had that. Lately, I'm not so sure it's been there so much. It's one of the huge keys to this year's Virginia team. Last year, Mitchell and Harris set precedents that were picked up on by the leaders of this year's team, and they are passing them on to the younger players. When the recruits come in, they pick up on this, and now Virginia's three commits for 2016 are studying the packline and the offense already. I think Cook is giving you the veteran leadership this year that has been lacking recently. That's just an outsider's view, but I noticed early in the season that this Duke team was different from the last couple of years, and appeared to have a much stronger intangible core. It is, incidentally, what I observe UNCheat to be completely devoid of.

azzefkram
03-04-2015, 11:29 AM
... Let's send Cook out with a great memory.

I do wonder who will fill that void once he's gone. Jefferson and Plumlee will be the seniors, but I don't think either of them has that "it" factor that Cook has. Matt Jones will be a junior, but again he seems more like Jefferson as "one of the guys". Maybe one of these guys will emerge next year as that guy. It will be fun to see who (if anyone) does fill that role. Whoever does will have very tough shoes to fill.

In any case, that is a "next year" concern. For now, let's go get Cook one last win in Cameron!

Exceptionally well said. I will really miss having Quinn on our team.

Billy Dat
03-04-2015, 11:43 AM
Incidentally, I suspect the Quinn's-last-game factor might get the team too keyed up, the way it seemed to in the first UNC game. Hopefully, if it happens it won't last long.

As a few have said, this is very likely Quinn, Jah, Justise and Tyus' last games at CIS. Let's hope they are all not too keyed up. Senior Day's are rough. Which players, playing in their last game at CIS, had great games and who had less than stellar?

Another thing that I think has been lost a little bit at Duke is the value of veterans in inculcating a culture in rookies. Peers are much more effective at teaching than are authority figures. When you have veterans, they can teach the newcomers the values and principles of the culture, and the newcomers internalize those things much more quickly and completely than when the authority figures are preaching them. You always had that. Lately, I'm not so sure it's been there so much. It's one of the huge keys to this year's Virginia team. Last year, Mitchell and Harris set precedents that were picked up on by the leaders of this year's team, and they are passing them on to the younger players. When the recruits come in, they pick up on this, and now Virginia's three commits for 2016 are studying the packline and the offense already. I think Cook is giving you the veteran leadership this year that has been lacking recently. That's just an outsider's view, but I noticed early in the season that this Duke team was different from the last couple of years, and appeared to have a much stronger intangible core. It is, incidentally, what I observe UNCheat to be completely devoid of.

Yes, this is well covered territory on this board and in words emanating from K's mouth since he's embraced the one-and-done. We are somewhere between the 4 year stalwarts of UVA and the annual one-and-done exodus at Kentucky. Now, Kentucky, and Cal in general, has managed to be great when combining elite one-and-done talent with very good sophomore and junior talent. This year's wrecking crew is possible because so many guys uncharacteristically stayed (the Harrisons, WCS, D.Johnson, etc.). Cal caught a break as he is always pushing these guys to leave. Imagine this Duke team with Jabari and Rodney Hood? But, the Duke program under K wants a shot at titles every year. It's hard to do that without the best talent. I admire what Coach Bennett has built in 5 seasons, but the Hoos really need to deliver a Final Four this year for some "proof of concept".

BigZ
03-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Anyone know if Marshall is going to be honored tonight along with Quinn? He is academically a senior and is going to the Army after the season so he won't be back.

Duvall
03-04-2015, 12:23 PM
Anyone know if Marshall is going to be honored tonight along with Quinn? He is academically a senior and is going to the Army after the season so he won't be back.

Plumlee will be joining the Army after next season, in 2016.

LBF
03-04-2015, 12:29 PM
The deacs burned us in transition off misses out of the 1-4 set last time. I'm sure our guys went over this extensively in film this week. Also, hopefully Okafor will come to play defense against Thomas. This game seemed to be the beginning of his lethargy. Who will replace sulaimon's contribution this time around?

superdave
03-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Wake probably guarded Jahlil better than anyone this season. If I recall correctly, Devin Thomas doubled down on Okafor on the pass and sort of folded over the top to seal Okafor and keep him from dribbling or having a passing lane.

Okafor can counter this by catching the ball on the move more. Duke can also spread things out more so the doubler has to come from farther away.

Wake also just chucked the ball out for fast breaks. We need to have good transition D to limit those opportunities. If we make the right adjustments and execute, we win big and we show how much we've matured as a team.

duketaylor
03-04-2015, 05:23 PM
Hoops regular season just seem to go by very quickly for me; can't believe we're already at Senior Night. Hope we come out a-blazin and it's not a stressful game.
Play well on both sides of the ball. I want to see better defense or else I question our ability to go deep later this month. GO DUKE!!!

And thank you, Quinn!!!

westwall
03-04-2015, 06:39 PM
I'm in Sarasota Fl and looking for a ACC TV station carrying tonight's Wake game. Anyone have help to provide?

NYBri
03-04-2015, 06:45 PM
I am thankful that we have the ACCT and the Dance, but like the first yellow leaves in September, Senior Night is a harbinger of the long, lonely winter of the off-season.

Have a great night, QC (JO, JW and TJ).

riverside6
03-04-2015, 07:44 PM
Live tempo based stats for Duke/Wake, starters posted http://www.scacchoops.com/wake-forest-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-03042015

-jk
03-04-2015, 07:46 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

mattman91
03-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Not showing on tv guide...

gumbomoop
03-04-2015, 07:59 PM
I'm in Sarasota Fl and looking for a ACC TV station carrying tonight's Wake game. Anyone have help to provide?

The CW affiliate, which should be on Sarasota's cable provider plus Dish and DirecTV, is your best bet.

http://www.cwtv.com/thecw/stations/

But unfortunately, even if they're carrying an ACC game, it's more likely to be Miami-Pitt.

Acymetric
03-04-2015, 08:12 PM
Can someone at home tell us what we're stopped for?

FerryFor50
03-04-2015, 08:15 PM
Oh look. Another weak flagrant foul call in NCAA basketball.

Acymetric
03-04-2015, 08:16 PM
Oh look. Another weak flagrant foul call in NCAA basketball.

I don't think a single person at the game other than the ref saw it, care to elaborate?

gumbomoop
03-04-2015, 08:16 PM
Can someone at home tell us what we're stopped for?

A very debatable flagrant 1 on Okafor, for a slightly high elbow, on Winslow's lay-in that made it 9-0.

Indoor66
03-04-2015, 08:17 PM
I am in south Florida and cannot get either the ACC network or ESPN3! Anyone else having the same problem?

FerryFor50
03-04-2015, 08:17 PM
I don't think a single person at the game other than the ref saw it, care to elaborate?

Thomas lowered his head going in for box out. Okafor's elbow touched Thomas on box out.

Lame.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Anyone have the directv channel?

rsvman
03-04-2015, 08:22 PM
I'm watching it on the Watch ESPN app on my wife's iPad. It's working fine.

FerryFor50
03-04-2015, 08:31 PM
Grayson Allen coming out party.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-04-2015, 08:33 PM
I am in south Florida and cannot get either the ACC network or ESPN3! Anyone else having the same problem?

Yep!!! So annoying. ..the Heat game is on instead even though its also on espn.

FerryFor50
03-04-2015, 08:34 PM
And now another weak call on Okafor. Offensive foul on a post up. Wtf did he do to deserve no respect on either end of the floor?

Andre Buckner Fan
03-04-2015, 08:35 PM
Can we start a petition to get Okafor to practice FT? He totally missed everything!!!

CDu
03-04-2015, 08:35 PM
And now another weak call on Okafor. Offensive foul on a post up. Wtf did he do to deserve no respect on either end of the floor?

That one was a good call on Okafor.

FerryFor50
03-04-2015, 08:37 PM
That one was a good call on Okafor.

How??? He never lowered a shoulder. He's just stronger than Thomas.

porkpa
Gray-son Allen!!
Gray-son Allen !
Gray-son Allen !

Andre Buckner Fan
Grayson Allen coming out party.

I love the crazies chanting "Grayson's Winning!!" (He has 11 points, Wake had 7.)

FerryFor50
03-04-2015, 08:39 PM
And then an obvious over the back call missed (Roundtree on Cook). Way more contact on that than either Okafor call.

CDu
03-04-2015, 08:41 PM
How??? He never lowered a shoulder. He's just stronger than Thomas.

You don't have to lower your shoulder. If you run through a guy who has position, it is a foul.

Tripping William
Decent start, I suppose. :)

FerryFor50
You don't have to lower your shoulder. If you run through a guy who has position, it is a foul.

He didn't run through anyone. He posted up. Thomas barely moved.

CDu
03-04-2015, 08:43 PM
He didn't run through anyone. He posted up. Thomas barely moved.

That is not correct. He was at the 3pt line. But whatever. Not worth it.

FerryFor50
03-04-2015, 08:44 PM
That is not correct. He was at the 3pt line. But whatever. Not worth it.

So backing a defender down from just inside 3pt line = foul

Backing a defender down in the paint = not a foul

Got it.

CDu
03-04-2015, 08:48 PM
So backing a defender down from just inside 3pt line = foul

Backing a defender down in the paint = not a foul

Got it.

It is how, not where, that makes it a foul. But yes, you are not allowed to body a guy into the paint from the 3pt line. That is a foul.

mr. synellinden
03-04-2015, 08:50 PM

It lasted 0 seconds. That's about as not long as it could get.

Wake's offensive efficiency is about .4 right now. Grayson Allen is beating them and there's a minute left in the first half.

Billy Dat
03-04-2015, 08:51 PM
Grayson - he was just waiting for March.

Andre Buckner Fan
03-04-2015, 08:52 PM
grayson - he was just waiting for march.

grayson's winning!

Duke79UNLV77
03-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Just kidding. I think. Wow.

FerryFor50
03-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Wilbekin got of the way to avoid being on Allen's poster.

And then Tyus hits an unbelievable banked 3 buzzer beater. And drew a foul.

CDu
03-04-2015, 08:55 PM
What a thorough beatdown so far. Very enjoyable to watch.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-04-2015, 08:56 PM
Decent half

Billy Dat
03-04-2015, 08:57 PM
That Tyus and 1 3 via the leg kick was for Wheat.

Andre Buckner Fan
Decent half

Grayson is doing sort of alright. :cool:

Selover
This is fun!

Duke3517
03-04-2015, 08:58 PM
Duke is really starting to play well at the right time. The question come tournament time is if Duke can put 6 great games together to win a championship.

Watching Kentucky last night I wonder if they can handle Duke's guards.

bbosbbos
03-04-2015, 08:59 PM
I will not use "decent" for this half. Maybe we should use "brilliant". :cool:

Decent half

slower
03-04-2015, 08:59 PM
Haven't read any of the other posts, but just wanted to say:

1. Most dominant half I can remember.

2. Grayson. Holy Crap!! The kid (in the first half, at least) is as pure as I've seen since JJ.

Billy Dat
03-04-2015, 09:02 PM
We look good, but part of it is that Wake straight up stinks tonight. We have something to do with it, but they are missing a lot of open shots and turning it over constantly against decent but not overwhelming pressure.

pamtar
03-04-2015, 09:02 PM
Can someone make a MOTM thread with Grayson Allen as the only option? The only way he doesn't get my vote is if someone goes Klay Thompson in the second half or wake comes back and we need a buzzer beater to win.

Duke3517
03-04-2015, 09:03 PM
Grayson Allen is an excellent player. Real excited to watch him for the next 3 years.

CDu
03-04-2015, 09:03 PM
We look good, but part of it is that Wake straight up stinks tonight. We have something to do with it, but they are missing a lot of open shots and turning it over constantly against decent but not overwhelming pressure.

Agreed. Wake has played really poorly while we have played really well.

Ggallagher
03-04-2015, 09:07 PM
Don't know if anyone else caught this, but early in the first half, Grayson went to the line for a free throw. Quinn was standing behind him and the camera caught a great smile on Quinn's face. It looked like pride in his team and pride in his teammate.
What a wonderful guy. Sure going to miss him.

camion
03-04-2015, 09:08 PM
I think we can all agree it was a disappointing first half.

Jahil in foul trouble.
Matt Jones could't hit a three.
Failed to finish on a number of drives to the basket.
Miller-McIntyre got to the basket too easily at times.

And the popcorn needed more salt.

FerryFor50
03-04-2015, 09:11 PM
It is how, not where, that makes it a foul. But yes, you are not allowed to body a guy into the paint from the 3pt line. That is a foul.

Only way this is a foul is if Okafor pushed with his off arm. No replay though. Go figure.

http://youtu.be/OtOiUxorn2U

And yes, now I will drop it. :p

Billy Dat
03-04-2015, 09:11 PM

Jahil in foul trouble.

I appreciate someone brave enought to shoot straight. Let's also mention that Grayson went "heat check" and took too many shots, Jah shot that airball, Justise coughed it up in the lane a few times, and I saw some unpainted fans.

FireOgilvie
03-04-2015, 09:15 PM

Jahil in foul trouble.

You know things are going poorly when your starting guards are 5/19 from the field at the half (Duke, not Wake).

Crazy game.

vick
03-04-2015, 09:15 PM
Agreed. Wake has played really poorly while we have played really well.

The strange thing is a number of our stars have been less than spectacular on the offensive end. I mean, our three starting guards went 5/19, and Okafor had more turnovers than field goal attempts in the first half.

FerryFor50
03-04-2015, 09:16 PM
Another ankle injury???

NYBri
03-04-2015, 09:20 PM
This win might be costly. Hope JW injury ain't serious.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-04-2015, 09:23 PM
The strange thing is a number of our stars have been less than spectacular on the offensive end. I mean, our three starting guards went 5/19, and Okafor had more turnovers than field goal attempts in the first half.

Which is so strange considering our complete lack of depth.

I thought this was why we had no shot in the NCAAT?

detule
03-04-2015, 09:23 PM
This win might be costly. Hope JW injury ain't serious.

No worries, with these accursed Nike shoes we are wearing, we have the best facilities and the staff with the most experience when it comes to feet injuries.

FerryFor50
03-04-2015, 09:29 PM
And another ankle...

NYBri
03-04-2015, 09:30 PM
Okay. JW okay.

:-)

Billy Dat
03-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Let's spend the final 10 getting Jah his double figure standard.

FerryFor50
03-04-2015, 09:37 PM
I think Duke needs to start running the ball...

Tripping William
03-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Staying healthy is the goal at this point.

NYBri
03-04-2015, 09:41 PM
Grayson coming out party!

Billy Dat
03-04-2015, 09:41 PM
Jah makes 2 from the stripe, two swishes!!

Channing
03-04-2015, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure I have ever disliked an acc player as much as I dislike Devon thomas. He is the Laphonso Ellis of players

kcduke75
03-04-2015, 09:43 PM
So much for our concern about Jah's defense on Thomas; 4 fouls, no points!

Great TEAM defense

Phoenix22
03-04-2015, 09:45 PM
Can Winslow get a quadruple double?

FerryFor50
03-04-2015, 09:48 PM
Plumlee with a nice up and under reverse layup

Billy Dat
03-04-2015, 09:53 PM
How does Matt Jones toggle between made 3s and airballed 3s so effortlessly?

fuse
03-04-2015, 09:54 PM
I want to take anyone who saw this coming with me to Vegas.

What a fun game to watch!!!!

NYBri
03-04-2015, 09:56 PM
This is like the bizzaro game. Jah 6 pts. Grayson and Matt combine for 40+.

Weird.