PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC: 3/2-3/8

pfrduke
03-02-2015, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure how this happened, but it's suddenly the last week of the regular season. In the season's penultimate week, the teams in the middle of the conference took some unfortunate losses that may prove to create insurmountable obstacles to tournament berths. Miami, NC State, and Pitt had a rough weekend, one that could leave each of them presumptively on the outside looking in when the ACCT starts up. Let's take a quick look at how the last week lines up.

Monday

[60]Syracuse hosts [3]Virginia (7:00, ESPN) - any win or Duke loss clinches the outright regular season championship and the tournament 1 seed for Virginia. They could get all the drama out of the way in the week's first game
[169]Virginia Tech hosts [127]Boston College (9:00, ESPNU) - once again, the conference subjects a national TV audience to Hokie basketball. A win here for the Hokies could lock up Virginia Tech wins beating out Virginia losses - it's a one-game lead with two to play.

Tuesday

[81]Georgia Tech hosts [16]UNC (7:00, ESPNU)
[83]Clemson hosts [43]NC State (9:00, ESPN3)

Wednesday

[14]Louisville hosts [18]Notre Dame (7:00, ESPN2) - the Cardinals could go a long way toward locking up a double bye if they win
[8]Duke hosts [103]Wake Forest (8:00, ESPN3) - a Duke win clinches no worse than the 2 seed
[76]Pittsburgh hosts [66]Miami (8:00, ESPN3) - I think this is basically an elimination game; the winner certainly won't lock up an at-large bid, but the loser almost certainly is done.

Thursday is dark

Friday is dark

Saturday is a great day of basketball - 7 games, lots of meaningful contests, and Duke-UNC to close it out.

[43]NC State hosts [60]Syracuse (12:00, CBS)
[169]Virginia Tech hosts [66]Miami (12:00, ESPN3)
[109]Florida State hosts [76]Pittsburgh (12:00, ESPN2)
[127]Boston College hosts [103]Wake Forest (2:00, ESPN3)
[18]Notre Dame hosts [83]Clemson (4:00, ESPN3)
[14]Louisville hosts [3]Virginia (6:30, ESPN3) - bold prediction: there will not be a lot of points scored in this game
[16]UNC hosts [8]Duke (9:00, ESPN) - bold prediction: there will be more points scored here than in UL-UVA

Sunday is dark as the focus shifts toward the ACCT

ACC Non-Conference Record: 147-45
ACC Record vs. BCS: 27-26

flyingdutchdevil
03-02-2015, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure how this happened, but it's suddenly the last week of the regular season. In the season's penultimate week, the teams in the middle of the conference took some unfortunate losses that may prove to create insurmountable obstacles to tournament berths. Miami, NC State, and Pitt had a rough weekend, one that could leave each of them presumptively on the outside looking in when the ACCT starts up. Let's take a quick look at how the last week lines up.

Monday

[60]Syracuse hosts [3]Virginia (7:00, ESPN) - any win or Duke loss clinches the outright regular season championship and the tournament 1 seed for Virginia. They could get all the drama out of the way in the week's first game
[169]Virginia Tech hosts [127]Boston College (9:00, ESPNU) - once again, the conference subjects a national TV audience to Hokie basketball. A win here for the Hokies could lock up Virginia Tech wins beating out Virginia losses - it's a one-game lead with two to play.

Tuesday

[81]Georgia Tech hosts [16]UNC (7:00, ESPNU)
[83]Clemson hosts [43]NC State (9:00, ESPN3)

Wednesday

[14]Louisville hosts [18]Notre Dame (7:00, ESPN2) - the Cardinals could go a long way toward locking up a double bye if they win
[8]Duke hosts [103]Wake Forest (8:00, ESPN3) - a Duke win clinches no worse than the 2 seed
[76]Pittsburgh hosts [66]Miami (8:00, ESPN3) - I think this is basically an elimination game; the winner certainly won't lock up an at-large bid, but the loser almost certainly is done.

Thursday is dark

Friday is dark

Saturday is a great day of basketball - 7 games, lots of meaningful contests, and Duke-UNC to close it out.

[43]NC State hosts [60]Syracuse (12:00, CBS)
[169]Virginia Tech hosts [66]Miami (12:00, ESPN3)
[109]Florida State hosts [76]Pittsburgh (12:00, ESPN2)
[127]Boston College hosts [103]Wake Forest (2:00, ESPN3)
[18]Notre Dame hosts [83]Clemson (4:00, ESPN3)
[14]Louisville hosts [3]Virginia (6:30, ESPN3) - bold prediction: there will not be a lot of points scored in this game
[16]UNC hosts [8]Duke (9:00, ESPN) - bold prediction: there will be more points scored here than in UL-UVA

Sunday is dark as the focus shifts toward the ACCT

ACC Non-Conference Record: 147-45
ACC Record vs. BCS: 27-26

Thanks pfrduke. Looking forward to the Syracuse-UVa game tonight. Syracuse didn't look great against Duke on Saturday, but I think that was more Duke being on than Syracuse being off (Syracuse did kinda give up in the last 7-8 minutes). UVa just doesn't look like a team that can lose against non-top talent. I fully expect UVa to win this game and the ACC reg season outright. And congrats to UVa. They were the best team during ACC play.

DarkstarWahoo
03-02-2015, 12:30 PM
Mighty white of you, flyingdutch.

And I'll echo the opening sentence of the original post. Hoops season goes by way too quickly.

Seattle Hoo
03-02-2015, 01:01 PM
The Syracuse game scares the poop out of me. By any reasoned analysis, Virginia should win this game by more than one possession, but Syracuse just has a way of playing much better, or their opponents of playing much worse (often these two are the same thing) than anybody thinks they should. We handled the zone beautifully last year, and did much better against the zone this time against Tech, and this Virginia team does not allow road environments to throw it off, but, still, there's that Syracuse factor. I just want to wake up and have the game be over with a 62-48 Virginia win.

jhmoss1812
03-02-2015, 01:59 PM
Thanks pfrduke. Looking forward to the Syracuse-UVa game tonight. Syracuse didn't look great against Duke on Saturday, but I think that was more Duke being on than Syracuse being off (Syracuse did kinda give up in the last 7-8 minutes). UVa just doesn't look like a team that can lose against non-top talent. I fully expect UVa to win this game and the ACC reg season outright. And congrats to UVa. They were the best team during ACC play.

I wouldn't say that. We've had some close ones against the bottom of the ACC. And Cuse is definitely not the bottom of the ACC. With that said, I just think we're better than Syracuse on both ends of the court. We dismantled their zone last year and they were bigger and more athletic last year. Plus, their offense is really struggling to score. Add UVA D to the mix and it's not a recipe for success. It's still a road game against a very talented team on Senior night so we could definitely lose. However, I think we score enough to pull it out 61-55. Can't wait for Saturday's slate of games as well.

flyingdutchdevil
03-02-2015, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't say that. We've had some close ones against the bottom of the ACC. And Cuse is definitely not the bottom of the ACC. With that said, I just think we're better than Syracuse on both ends of the court. We dismantled their zone last year and they were bigger and more athletic last year. Plus, their offense is really struggling to score. Add UVA D to the mix and it's not a recipe for success. It's still a road game against a very talented team on Senior night so we could definitely lose. However, I think we score enough to pull it out 61-55. Can't wait for Saturday's slate of games as well.

I would say that. UVa is the only team in the ACC to not lose to unranked opponents. UVa may have close games, but they close out those games. During the one loss this season, they didn't get blown out. Every other team basically has one terrible loss under their belt; UVa doesn't. Being the best team doesn't mean crushing your opponent by the highest number of points; it means winning day-in and day-out, something that UVa has done a lot of this year.

jhmoss1812
03-02-2015, 02:07 PM
I would say that. UVa is the only team in the ACC to not lose to unranked opponents. UVa may have close games, but they close out those games. During the one loss this season, they didn't get blown out. Every other team basically has one terrible loss under their belt; UVa doesn't. Being the best team doesn't mean crushing your opponent by the highest number of points; it means winning day-in and day-out, something that UVa has done a lot of this year.

Fair enough. I do think we are capable of losing to those teams though. But we've made the requisite plays to ensure that hasn't happened to this point. To your second point, UVA actually leads the ACC in scoring margin this year, both overall and in conference games. So we have been "crushing" our opponents, at least more so than any other team in the ACC. It's hard to imagine that being true if you watch our games sometimes lol

flyingdutchdevil
03-02-2015, 02:09 PM
Fair enough. I do think we are capable of losing to those teams though. But we've made the requisite plays to ensure that hasn't happened to this point. To your second point, UVA actually leads the ACC in scoring margin this year, both overall and in conference games. So we have been "crushing" our opponents, at least more so than any other team in the ACC. It's hard to imagine that being true if you watch our games sometimes lol

Offense wins games, defense wins championships. And you have the defense that the rest of the ACC envies.

vick
03-02-2015, 02:14 PM

But you're forgetting that Syracuse played that game last year without Jerami Grant in the second half, which made all the difference.

(sorry, just having flashbacks to the UVa naysayers last year who transmogrified Grant into some sort of superhuman defender rather than admit how good UVa was playing by that point).

DarkstarWahoo
03-02-2015, 02:29 PM
Mighty white of you, flyingdutch.

And I'll echo the opening sentence of the original post. Hoops season goes by way too quickly.

People have questioned this phrase and, not being able to edit it, I want to clarify that I didn't intend it in any racial way. Also, I did a quick Google search, and the first result indicates that it is used as a backhanded compliment (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mighty+white+of+you), which was also not my intention. All I meant was a sincere "Thanks for the props" and I got too clever with it. Apologies.

Seattle Hoo
03-02-2015, 02:57 PM
Every other team basically has one terrible loss under their belt; UVa doesn't.

UVA lost to Uke in the JPJ. That felt pretty terrible to me! :p

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-02-2015, 03:02 PM
UVA lost to Uke in the JPJ. That felt pretty terrible to me! :p

I get that this is tongue in cheek, but to finish the regular season saying the only loss we have is against a top 5 Duke team is a huge accomplishment. One of the more remarkable ACC seasons that I can remember. It is about as impressive as it gets these days.

Troublemaker
03-02-2015, 03:05 PM
If Syracuse can do a decent job keeping Gill, Tobey, etc from grabbing offensive rebounds, I suspect UVA suffers loss #2 tonight.

Let's have some drama on Saturday.

Seattle Hoo
03-02-2015, 03:37 PM
I get that this is tongue in cheek, but to finish the regular season saying the only loss we have is against a top 5 Duke team is a huge accomplishment. One of the more remarkable ACC seasons that I can remember. It is about as impressive as it gets these days.

I completely agree, AFD. It's been an amazing and unexpected season following up an amazing and unexpected season. We all were pointing to next year as the year we would excel, so this year has been a bit of a surprise. Now we just need to finish it off.

Thanks, and beat Carolina. I really want to see those guys suffer.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-02-2015, 03:42 PM
I completely agree, AFD. It's been an amazing and unexpected season following up an amazing and unexpected season. We all were pointing to next year as the year we would excel, so this year has been a bit of a surprise. Now we just need to finish it off.

Crap, if next year is the year you guys are expecting to excel then I am legit terrified of UVA's team already. Especially since we will be without most of our key players from this season. However, as a Duke fan I always have faith that we will compete, and compete we shall.

Troublemaker
03-02-2015, 03:46 PM

Your team is going to be disgusting next year. Remarkable that you guys are already this good and will return almost everybody.

DarkstarWahoo
03-02-2015, 03:50 PM
Crap, if next year is the year you guys are expecting to excel then I am legit terrified of UVA's team already. Especially since we will be without most of our key players from this season. However, as a Duke fan I always have faith that we will compete, and compete we shall.

The reasoning was that it was going to be easier to replace Darion Atkins than Joe Harris and Akil Mitchell, and that more than half the rotation (Brogdon/Gill/Anderson/Tobey/Nolte) would be seniors. The latter appears to still be valid; the former, maybe not so much with Atkins' emergence.

Incoming talent is:
- Darius Thompson, a wing who transferred from Tennessee and seems analogous to Justin Anderson before he developed the jump shot. He's rangier and not as strong as Anderson, but is a great athlete with long arms and good instincts. He might have been ahead of Shayok in the rotation if he were eligible this year.
- Jared Reuter, a PF who has been described as similar to Tyler Hansbrough in style of play, if not talent and, shall we say, respect from officials.
- Jack Salt, the big Kiwi who is redshirting this year. See Reuter.
- Potentially one more signee, as I believe someone will transfer out.

For y'all, who's going to be the 15-16 version of Parker/Okafor?

W&LHoo
03-02-2015, 03:55 PM

Next year is the year we really had been looking toward. Obviously, I'll take this season any time the basketball gods want to offer it to us.

At the end of the season we're losing Darion Atkins from this year's team, and he's a wonderful player, but that's it. Next year it'll be senior seasons for Brogdon, Gill, Tobey, and Anderson, with Perrantes as a Junior. That's a starting five anyone would feel pretty great about.

Plus, we'll get to really develop a 2nd squad with Wilkins, Hall, Stith, Shayock, and Salt.

Seattle Hoo
03-02-2015, 04:05 PM

Others have listed what UVA's roster will look like next year so I will not belabor that point. What I want to say is that your coach seems to do his best work when the challenges are greatest. Sometimes its more fun to coach when you are short-handed.

Coach K might want to go to the library and find some videos by this guy named Dick Bennett. He developed a pretty darn good system for letting teams with inferior talent compete with more talented teams. It's called "the packline." It might be really helpful for you guys next year. :D

Olympic Fan
03-02-2015, 04:09 PM
I'm surprised that more attention wasn't paid to the fact that Virginia clinched a share of the ACC regular season title with their win Saturday. I understand that the next win (or Duke loss) is the big one -- the outright regular season title and the No. 1 tournament seed -- but even a guaranteed share of the regular season conference title is a big accomplishment.

As for Duke, a win Wednesday versus Wake clinches at least the No. 2 seed.

The best race left is for the No. 4 seed -- between Louisville (which has a one-game lead) and UNC. The tiebreakers also depend on what happens this week. It's not a huge deal, except one of them will have to play an extra game Wednesday, but unless there's an upset in that one, UNC-Louisville will play the late afternoon game Thursday.

For all intents and purposes, the top 5 and the bottom 4 in the standings are set (at least the top 4 5 and bottom 4 teams, if not the order). But the middle of the standings is a mess with four teams tied at 8-8.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-02-2015, 04:13 PM
The reasoning was that it was going to be easier to replace Darion Atkins than Joe Harris and Akil Mitchell, and that more than half the rotation (Brogdon/Gill/Anderson/Tobey/Nolte) would be seniors. The latter appears to still be valid; the former, maybe not so much with Atkins' emergence.

Incoming talent is:
- Darius Thompson, a wing who transferred from Tennessee and seems analogous to Justin Anderson before he developed the jump shot. He's rangier and not as strong as Anderson, but is a great athlete with long arms and good instincts. He might have been ahead of Shayok in the rotation if he were eligible this year.
- Jared Reuter, a PF who has been described as similar to Tyler Hansbrough in style of play, if not talent and, shall we say, respect from officials.
- Jack Salt, the big Kiwi who is redshirting this year. See Reuter.
- Potentially one more signee, as I believe someone will transfer out.

For y'all, who's going to be the 15-16 version of Parker/Okafor?

As of now there is no version of Parker/Okafor next season that I can see. Chase Jeter is a 6-11 big man coming in but has no where near the skill of Okafer or Parker. The other signed recruit is Luke Kennard 6-5 SG, no telling how either will adjust to the college game. But I expect neither will be one and done. I expect we will still be a top 15 team next season and if Winslow decides he wants to come back to be the man (highly unlikely given his projected draft status) or if Tyus Jones stays then I expect us to be a top 5 team competing for a NCAA title. If none of our 3 freshman come back, keep in mind we also lose Quinn Cook then I wouldn't expect us to make too deep of a run in the NCAA's as the team would probably have major flaws. However, there is no telling how things will shake out and all that is subject to change at any point.

Troublemaker
03-02-2015, 07:30 PM
UVA with 10 turnovers at the under 8 timeout.

The adjustment they have to make is relatively simple. Chuck threes, even if they're a little bit contested. UVA is too gunshy right now.

If you chuck threes, then:
(1) you might get hot and get back into the game. OR
(2) if you hit rim, you can use your offensive rebounding to hurt Syracuse

Right now UVA is trying to pass it in and out of a dangerous Cuse zone and getting balls deflected and turned over. Getting the ball up on the glass is better than turning it over.

If UVA doesn't make this adjustment, they will lose this game in embarrassing fashion.

arnie
03-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Reviewing this week's schedule, I was surprised to see so few Top 25 versus Top 25 games (no ACC games are listed or discussed in this thread):

Amazing offensive display by Cavs

duketaylor
03-02-2015, 07:32 PM
2 pts. with 6 to go, e-gads, ugly.

InSpades
03-02-2015, 07:34 PM
Will they hit double digits for the half? It's gonna be close!

Cooney has been struggling w/ his shot... maybe he just wasn't shooting from far enough out?!

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-02-2015, 07:37 PM
Wouldn't even be a very exciting football game.

jhmoss1812
03-02-2015, 07:38 PM
I knew Cooney's shot was going in right when he chucked it. It was just so obvious that was going to happen

DarkstarWahoo
03-02-2015, 07:40 PM
Heading to my weekly pickup game. Vegas has me as a 3-point favorite over the Hoos. I think I'd take the points, but I'm not confident.

Duvall
03-02-2015, 07:43 PM
All that talk about how Virginia basketball is beautiful to the discerning hoops fan? Yeah, about that.

InSpades
2 pts. with 6 to go, e-gads, ugly.

And then 19 in less than 5. Can't explain it... Hoos lead by 1.

freshmanjs
All that talk about how Virginia basketball is beautiful to the discerning hoops fan? Yeah, about that.

and yet, they will go into the locker room with a half time lead on the road

W&LHoo
03-02-2015, 07:49 PM
And then 19 in less than 5. Can't explain it... Hoos lead by 1.

Our kids just flat out couldn't figure out how to attack that zone. We only had one day to practice and I guess they didn't get enough time to accurately simulate a zone with that kind of size and activity up front.

Once Brogdon and Perrentes figured out how to put the ball on the deck and create opportunities we became an extremely effective unit.

Troublemaker
03-02-2015, 08:54 PM
Congrats on the outright regular season title, UVA fans! Great job wresting control of the game in stunning fashion.

You pass-faked and drove the gaps in the zone, dominated the glass, and played your usual outstanding defense. I did not expect beating the zone with penetration -- much better than my "chuck threes" idea, as it turns out.

OldPhiKap
03-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Congrats on the outright regular season title, UVA fans! Great job wresting control of the game in stunning fashion.

You pass-faked and drove the gaps in the zone, dominated the glass, and played your usual outstanding defense. I did not expect beating the zone with penetration -- much better than my "chuck threes" idea, as it turns out.

Props to UVa and Coach Bennett. Solid. Again.

Hope to get another shot on Saturday though!

VAGentleman05
03-02-2015, 09:06 PM

It was a rough start, no doubt, but the run that followed was very, very encouraging.

OldPhiKap
03-02-2015, 09:12 PM
It was a rough start, no doubt, but the run that followed was very, very encouraging.

Any update on Anderson? Hope he is about ready to play.

mykeuva
03-02-2015, 09:31 PM
Any update on Anderson? Hope he is about ready to play.

There's talk of him maybe coming back for Louisville....but I would guess he comes back in the ACC tournament....shakes off the rust there hopefully and gets into rhythm by the NCAAs....

OldPhiKap
03-02-2015, 09:32 PM
There's talk of him maybe coming back for Louisville....but I would guess he comes back in the ACC tournament....shakes off the rust there hopefully and gets into rhythm by the NCAAs....

Thanks.

jhmoss1812
03-02-2015, 09:32 PM
Thanks guys. Definitely proud of the guys for the way they responded. It was a terrible, abysmal start and I was embarrassed it was on national TV. But the rest of the game was pretty damn good. Not many teams turn the ball over 20 times on the road and still win by double digits. Can't believe we just won back-to-back ACC regular season titles. That's consistency no matter how you slice it. I really hope the ACCT championship is Duke/UVA. Would love another crack at you guys and I think it's clear we're the two best teams in the conference. Good luck against UNC on Saturday.

Olympic Fan
03-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Congrats to Virginia for the second straight ACC regular season title -- the first non-Big Four team to ever win outright back-to-back regular season titles. The Cavs showed a lot of poise after a truly putrid start in the Dome.

Now, you guys have to try and become the first non-Big Four team to win back-to-back ACC championships.

Actually, I'm hoping that Duke and Virginia can win out until they met in the ACC title game. If that happens, then I'm confident BOTH will get No. 1 seeds, no matter the outcome of that game.

PS Interesting that in the battle for 14th place, BC is up 13 on VPI at the half in Blacksburg! Actually, the winner ties Georgia Tech for 13th.

Utley
03-02-2015, 10:27 PM
I keep seeing all the comments about next year's team - which if true is a scary prospect. Is there no chance that Brogdon leaves early?

bob blue devil
03-02-2015, 10:30 PM
congrats to the cavs - i just don't get how the media is sleeping on this team. they've had a truly remarkable season - not a single off night against a grueling schedule and that's with some tough injuries. i'm starting to hope they take a step back next year, although it would be nice to have a worthy rival!

Wahoo2000
03-02-2015, 10:33 PM
I keep seeing all the comments about next year's team - which if true is a scary prospect. Is there no chance that Brogdon leaves early?

I'd think there's a chance, but not super-likely. Neither he nor Anderson are even considered first round locks. That could change a lot between now and the time leading up to the draft of course.

Seattle Hoo
03-02-2015, 11:01 PM

He just reiterated after the Tech game that he is coming back. I take it with two grains of salt (for most guys one, but he is in a serious academic program, so I'll give him the second grain), but that is what he says.

All the speculation is about Anderson. If he gets a mid-first round grade from that NBA committee, Bennett will advise him to go. We'll see. If he does go, it will be sad for us, but good for him and the team will be fine.

Newton_14
03-02-2015, 11:11 PM

UVA is the only team on the planet that could have just 2 points with 6 min to go in the 1st half, yet find a way to lead at the half. Unreal. I listened to the entire 1st half on the commute home from work. Crazy stuff. Defense wins championships. Tis true. I would love to see the 88 Duke team play this years UVA team. Final score might be something like 9-8 with Ferry hitting a 3 at the buzzer after a Billy King steal to win it. :)

Congrats on the Regular Season title. Well done. 1 loss in this league is damn impressive.

DarkstarWahoo
03-03-2015, 07:07 AM
Well, if last year is any indication, we'll lose to Louisville.

Brogdon is sticking around. Gotta get that master's to help with his presidential run. He's our Battier.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. After lurking on some opponent boards in the past, the gracious reception and sincere hoops appreciation here is stunning.

OldPhiKap
03-03-2015, 07:26 AM
He just reiterated after the Tech game that he is coming back. I take it with two grains of salt (for most guys one, but he is in a serious academic program, so I'll give him the second grain), but that is what he says.

All the speculation is about Anderson. If he gets a mid-first round grade from that NBA committee, Bennett will advise him to go. We'll see. If he does go, it will be sad for us, but good for him and the team will be fine.

Brogden's dad s a judge in metro Atlanta. I imagine that education and a degree were big in his decision to go to UVa.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-03-2015, 07:29 AM
Well, if last year is any indication, we'll lose to Louisville.

Brogdon is sticking around. Gotta get that master's to help with his presidential run. He's our Battier.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. After lurking on some opponent boards in the past, the gracious reception and sincere hoops appreciation here is stunning.

Are you guys spreading the word and recruiting more Wahoos to DBR lol. Seems like your numbers are growing here. I tried to check out thesabre but that sites message board is a jumbled mess on google chrome. Plus there are the standard amount of Duke haters over there and I don't think I would be very welcome. Any other boards that are any good?

Seattle Hoo
03-03-2015, 07:47 AM
Are you guys spreading the word and recruiting more Wahoos to DBR lol. Seems like your numbers are growing here. I tried to check out thesabre but that sites message board is a jumbled mess on google chrome. Plus there are the standard amount of Duke haters over there and I don't think I would be very welcome. Any other boards that are any good?

Our numbers are growing everywhere. We are fungus. Thesabre is kind of like everywhere else, if you're a good guest you will be quite welcome. There are some Heels who post over there with no problem. I think you would be fine. I don't know of any other good boards for UVA. The signal:noise ratio is a bit low over there.

I think that the relatively high percentage of posts with multiple paragraphs is what is attractive here. More conversation, less a bunch of guys shouting at each other.

VAGentleman05
03-03-2015, 08:18 AM
Brogden's dad s a judge in metro Atlanta. I imagine that education and a degree were big in his decision to go to UVa.

I think that's definitely correct, though it's worth pointing out that Malcolm is a fourth year junior now, so getting his degree wouldn't be an issue. Having said that, I think it's more likely that Anderson would leave early. But I think the odds are very good that they'll both be back.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Its cool Winslow and Tyus Jones are both coming back!!!! I talked to them yesterday playing pick up ball... I won, so they said, "Well if we can't beat this slowish, aging white guy with goggles on then there is no way we can go pro, might as well come back for our soph seasons"

Youre welcome DBR

W&LHoo
03-03-2015, 08:52 AM
I think that's definitely correct, though it's worth pointing out that Malcolm is a fourth year junior now, so getting his degree wouldn't be an issue. Having said that, I think it's more likely that Anderson would leave early. But I think the odds are very good that they'll both be back.

Malcolm has been overloaded (more than 15 hours of class/semester) on top of his basketball schedule so he can finish his accelerated masters degree in public policy in five years. I really can't see a college athlete taking on that kind of crushing workload without an ironclad commitment to the additional degree.

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2015, 09:17 AM
Dear UVa and UVa fans,

Congratulations for winning the ACC Reg Season (I do believe it's an honor). For the second year in a row, you not only won the ACC title outright, but you also completely surpassed expectations.

What I love about this UVa team is how much they remind me of the Duke teams in the mid-2000s: so defense oriented and would do anything to win. At times, UVa struggles to score, but they always have their D to rely on. That is the sign of a potential championship team.

I'm having a hard time deciding whether Duke or UVa is CURRENTLY better. UVa, without question, has been the better team, even though Duke has the better wins (and also the worse losses). But, when - and not if - Duke and UVa meet on a neutral court during the ACC Tournament Finals, who wins? UVa is by far the better defensive team, but Duke has more offensive firepower. I think both coaches coach their respective teams perfectly with the talent on board. Duke has the fans - and the detractors - while UVa has a solid fan base (and I suspect everyone will be routing for UVa who isn't a Duke fan).

Anywho, congrats on the title again. Feel bad that Quinn hasn't won this title, but I hope he'll win his first ACC Tournament title in a week and a half.

Go Duke,

FDD

JasonEvans
03-03-2015, 09:20 AM
PS Interesting that in the battle for 14th place, BC is up 13 on VPI at the half in Blacksburg! Actually, the winner ties Georgia Tech for 13th.

I'm obviously not going to seriously suggest it and I know there is a 0% chance it would happen, but it would be kinda fun if the bottom of the ACC was relegated to... I dunno... the A-10 and the top of the A-10 were promoted to the ACC each season. So, we'd get rid of BC, Va Tech, and Ga Tech and we could pick up Dayton, Davidson, and Virginia Commonwealth for next year. The Big Ten could do the same thing with the MAC. The SEC with the Southern, the Pac 12 with the WAC or WCC (Gonzaga, time to step up!), and the Big 12 with the Missouri Valley.

-Jason "Ahhhh... fun to dream. If I was commissioner of college basketball for a day..." Evans

W&LHoo
03-03-2015, 09:24 AM
Dear UVa and UVa fans,

Congratulations for winning the ACC Reg Season (I do believe it's an honor). For the second year in a row, you not only won the ACC title outright, but you also completely surpassed expectations.

What I love about this UVa team is how much they remind me of the Duke teams in the mid-2000s: so defense oriented and would do anything to win. At times, UVa struggles to score, but they always have their D to rely on. That is the sign of a potential championship team.

I'm having a hard time deciding whether Duke or UVa is CURRENTLY better. UVa, without question, has been the better team, even though Duke has the better wins (and also the worse losses). But, when - and not if - Duke and UVa meet on a neutral court during the ACC Tournament Finals, who wins? UVa is by far the better defensive team, but Duke has more offensive firepower. I think both coaches coach their respective teams perfectly with the talent on board. Duke has the fans - and the detractors - while UVa has a solid fan base (and I suspect everyone will be routing for UVa who isn't a Duke fan).

Anywho, congrats on the title again. Feel bad that Quinn hasn't won this title, but I hope he'll win his first ACC Tournament title in a week and a half.

Go Duke,

FDD

I have to say, and I think my fellow Hoo posters will agree, the graciousness with which we've been met on this board is refreshing.

It has been interesting to se how the rest of the league has reacted (at least via message boards). In general, you guys and Carolina seem to be genuinely happy for our program while Louisville, NC State, and Pitt still seem to think we're a fraud somehow. Cuse's boards are still in some shock after the game, so we'll see on that front. I can't tell if it's because of the nature of the fan bases or a natural tendency for classic ACC schools to stick together post-expansion.

JasonEvans
03-03-2015, 09:27 AM
Dear UVa and UVa fans,

Virginia has now tied NC State for #3 on the list of most ACC Regular Season titles.

UNC - 29
Duke- 19
UVA, NCSU - 7
Maryland - 5
Wake - 4
Ga Tech - 2
South Car, Miami, Clemson - 1
BC, FSU, Syr, ND, Pitt, Va Tech - 0

-Jason "I fully expect Virginia to break that tie with the Wolfies in the next few years... perhaps next year" Evans

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2015, 09:27 AM
I have to say, and I think my fellow Hoo posters will agree, the graciousness with which we've been met on this board is refreshing.

It has been interesting to se how the rest of the league has reacted (at least via message boards). In general, you guys and Carolina seem to be genuinely happy for our program while Louisville, NC State, and Pitt still seem to think we're a fraud somehow. Cuse's boards are still in some shock after the game, so we'll see on that front. I can't tell if it's because of the nature of the fan bases or a natural tendency for classic ACC schools to stick together post-expansion.

Always happy to give credit where credit is due.

Can I give you some advice? I think you spend waaaay too much time on fan boards if you're able to tell a fanbase's reaction to UVa ;)

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-03-2015, 09:31 AM
I'm obviously not going to seriously suggest it and I know there is a 0% chance it would happen, but it would be kinda fun if the bottom of the ACC was relegated to... I dunno... the A-10 and the top of the A-10 were promoted to the ACC each season. So, we'd get rid of BC, Va Tech, and Ga Tech and we could pick up Dayton, Davidson, and Virginia Commonwealth for next year. The Big Ten could do the same thing with the MAC. The SEC with the Southern, the Pac 12 with the WAC or WCC (Gonzaga, time to step up!), and the Big 12 with the Missouri Valley.

-Jason "Ahhhh... fun to dream. If I was commissioner of college basketball for a day..." Evans

Thats a pretty awesome idea, unfortunately it would never happen, but sure would be fun. Maybe a preseason tourney added in, the top of the A-10 plays the bottom of the ACC in some format, winners play the season in the ACC losers play in the A-10!!!

Talk about making the preseason non conference schedules more meaningful, it wouldn't get more meaningful than a tourney to stay in the ACC

Seattle Hoo
03-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Dear UVa and UVa fans,

Go Duke,

FDD

Thank you, FDD. Greatly appreciated. I really hope the two teams meet in the ACCT Final, just like I was hoping both would be undefeated for 1/31, but alas. That will be an incredible game and the hoopla will be obscene. Each team will have revenge motive, Duke for last year's ACCT, and UVA for 1/31. Both teams should be focused.

Generally, when great offense meets great defense, defense wins. It's simply sensational to have two teams that play as high quality a brand of ball as both teams play. I'm looking forward to great ACC basketball.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-03-2015, 10:03 AM
I'm beginning to see a growing sentiment that Duke would be best served by an early exit from the tourney, including Laura Keeley. With all the injuries we have and the depleted roster I can see where people might think that. However, I am on the side that thinks that any championship is worth going after. Whether it is a preseason tourney, a conference championship, or the regional and finally the NCAA Championship. I still firmly believe that getting a number one seed is very important to the teams that can still get one, Duke and UVA included. The chances of advancing past the first weekend increase greatly when you earn that #1 seed, and unfortunately after 2 out of the last 3 years having early exits I want every advantage we can get.

I guess this post could have gone in the ACCT thread but since we were talking about the Championship game, I figured put it here.

Seattle Hoo
03-03-2015, 10:17 AM
I'm beginning to see a growing sentiment that Duke would be best served by an early exit from the tourney, including Laura Keeley. With all the injuries we have and the depleted roster I can see where people might think that. However, I am on the side that thinks that any championship is worth going after. Whether it is a preseason tourney, a conference championship, or the regional and finally the NCAA Championship. I still firmly believe that getting a number one seed is very important to the teams that can still get one, Duke and UVA included. The chances of advancing past the first weekend increase greatly when you earn that #1 seed, and unfortunately after 2 out of the last 3 years having early exits I want every advantage we can get.

I guess this post could have gone in the ACCT thread but since we were talking about the Championship game, I figured put it here.

Yeah, it's a growing sentiment about which my opinion shall remain unsaid out of courtesy. These are 18-23-year-young men who are going to get at least five days off before they have to play again. If they can't recover by then, they need to either put more work in during the offseason, or the S&C coach needs to be fired. The whole "NCAA Tournament is all that matters" mindset is, to me, a shame. Basically, everybody with that mindset is basing his satisfaction with the season on a single trip to the craps table. The ACC Tournament has created some incredible drama down the years, and it promises to again. The ACC Championship is an amazing accomplishment in its own right. A lot of great teams.

NYBri
03-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Congrats to the Hoos.

Two programs that made different decisions as to how to deal with the OADs. Both by necessity, IMO.

Duke had the recruiting power to attract the top prospects and decided to take advantage. That has led to coaching to the talent ... Which has led to reliance on offense and resulted in unpredictability.

UVA, since it wasn't going to get top five recruiting talent year in and year out, has done the best it could by getting a coach with a system and has recruited to run the system. You don't need NBA first rounders to spend the time to learn and execute pack line...and you don't need scoring machines for the team to win 56-45 night in and night out.

Makes for interesting games when they meet, which I hope they do again soon.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-03-2015, 10:34 AM
Yeah, it's a growing sentiment about which my opinion shall remain unsaid out of courtesy. These are 18-23-year-young men who are going to get at least five days off before they have to play again. If they can't recover by then, they need to either put more work in during the offseason, or the S&C coach needs to be fired. The whole "NCAA Tournament is all that matters" mindset is, to me, a shame. Basically, everybody with that mindset is basing his satisfaction with the season on a single trip to the craps table. The ACC Tournament has created some incredible drama down the years, and it promises to again. The ACC Championship is an amazing accomplishment in its own right. A lot of great teams.

Well said, and I wholeheartedly agree on this. Winning the ACC Championship should be a priority for every team every season. Also, if you define your season off of how you finish it in a one off elimination tournament you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Obviously NCAA Tournament success is important and it means a lot. But look at Coach K, he is considered one of the greatest if not the greatest coach in NCAA history, and he has won it 4 times out of 30 something tries. I guess it helps that hes also made a ton of final fours and won a ton of regional championships though!!! God were spoiled as Duke fans.

gumbomoop
03-03-2015, 10:40 AM
UVa is by far the better defensive team, but Duke has more offensive firepower. I think both coaches coach their respective teams perfectly with the talent on board.

Given our inconsistent, sometimes dismal, defensive performances, the bolded statement merits some conversation, yes? Certainly many posters have this season offered some pointed, mostly constructive, criticism of Krzyzewski. Puzzled exasperation, for example, over games where more zone seemed called for. Calls for not starting our m2m so far above the circle, etc. Happy campers when K mixes D, but at times our GOAT has not been adjudged on EK to be "coaching perfectly."

UVa has been easily my second favorite ACC team over the past several seasons, and it's almost entirely due to what I see as Bennett's brilliance. IMO, more than any -- any -- other coach in the ACC, Bennett gets his guys to execute his principles and systems -- both O and D -- with remarkable efficiency and effectiveness. I assume that's partly because he also recruits guys he knows/intuits have talent appropriate to the principles and systems they must learn. Maybe he's as good a recruiter as any other coach in the ACC, too.

Small detour here: During our marvelous run in Spring 2010, I gradually became aware of how "weird" our team was, and how efficient. I vaguely remember [but am not interested enough to research] being irritated at pundits who, both during and after the NCAAT, judged our guys rather (way) less than the "best" team. Kenpom numbers and analysis seemed to me to provide some ammunition for a counter-argument that maybe Duke was by season's end actually the "best" team, so long as the criteria for "best" included "effectiveness." You know, playing the game real good, so as to win. Krzyzewski must have recognized Zoubek's miraculous [or perhaps injury-free] transformation, and so, mini-miracle itself, brilliantly recalibrated the O around Zoubek's O-rebounding and metronomic second-chance 3-bombs from 3S.

Back to the main road now: K's #4 led me to to think a bit more about efficiency and effectiveness, so that I have come to appreciate the education I receive from several posters who do a first-rate job conversing with, and occasionally berating, others about the numbers. At the beginning of this season, I posted a prediction-ranking, placing UVa (just) ahead of Duke [good call] and UNC [bad call]. Because of the returning "talent on board," but especially because of Bennett, who coaches his team "perfectly with the talent on board."

If both teams play really well, we might well see a Duke-UVa national semi, as they seem likely to be in regions on the same side of the FF bracket. Should either team be on UK's side of the bracket, seems much more likely to be Duke than UVa. In which case, we'll see each other in the Final. Presumably. And proof, sure enough, that "both coaches [not just Bennett] coach their respective teams perfectly with the talent on board."

roywhite
03-03-2015, 11:00 AM

FDD

Given our inconsistent, sometimes dismal, defensive performances, the bolded statement merits some conversation, yes? Certainly many posters have this season offered some pointed, mostly constructive, criticism of Krzyzewski. Puzzled exasperation, for example, over games where more zone seemed called for. Calls for not starting our m2m so far above the circle, etc. Happy campers when K mixes D, but at times our GOAT has not been adjudged on EK to be "coaching perfectly."

UVa has been easily my second favorite ACC team over the past several seasons, and it's almost entirely due to what I see as Bennett's brilliance. IMO, more than any -- any -- other coach in the ACC, Bennett gets his guys to execute his principles and systems -- both O and D -- with remarkable efficiency and effectiveness. I assume that's partly because he also recruits guys he knows/intuits have talent appropriate to the principles and systems they must learn. Maybe he's as good a recruiter as any other coach in the ACC, too.

Between two posters whose views I read and respect, I'll have to side with FDD's assertion that both K and Bennett are doing virtually a perfect job with the talent on hand.

We Duke fans sometimes forget just what a huge role freshmen play on this team (well over 50% of the scoring) and the inherent nature of inconsistency for their age and experience. Bennett has a much more experienced group of players, who have learned the nuances of his defensive system. IMO, it's just not a realistic expectation for our freshmen to have reached that level of team defensive excellence. We can, however, play offense well enough to beat any team.

I join others in saluting the Wahoos. When we consider the historic dominance of the Triangle teams within the ACC, what they have done over the last two seasons is remarkable.

Let's toss it up again next Saturday evening for the ACC Championship and see who prevails.

flyingdutchdevil
03-03-2015, 11:12 AM
Between two posters whose views I read and respect, I'll have to side with FDD's assertion that both K and Bennett are doing virtually a perfect job with the talent on hand.

We Duke fans sometimes forget just what a huge role freshmen play on this team (well over 50% of the scoring) and the inherent nature of inconsistency for their age and experience. Bennett has a much more experienced group of players, who have learned the nuances of his defensive system. IMO, it's just not a realistic expectation for our freshmen to have reached that level of team defensive excellence. We can, however, play offense well enough to beat any team.

I join others in saluting the Wahoos. When we consider the historic dominance of the Triangle teams within the ACC, what they have done over the last two seasons is remarkable.

Let's toss it up again next Saturday evening for the ACC Championship and see who prevails.

Thanks for the comment, roywhite.

I'd like to comment on the bolded part of your post. 1) I couldn't agree more. I want a Duke-UVa final so badly because I truly believe that these are the two best teams in the ACC. It would be a game where all players would be giving it all. My over/under for floor burns is 8.5. I would be disappointed if either team didn't make the finals (more disappointed if Duke didn't, of course). As much as I want an easy route to the ACC Championship I want to beat the best. And I'm sure our boys do too. 2) Consider me one of the few who loves the idea of the ACC Tournament Finals on a Saturday rather than a Sunday. Usually, I don't go to a bar on the ACC Tournament Finals; I stay at home and stress out with my wife. However, if (I should say when) Duke is in the finals, I will be at a bar with the Boston Duke community pounding beers knowing that my hangover on Sunday will not deter me from my work.

Whoever moved the finals from Sunday to Saturday clearly enjoys going to the bars and drinking aggressively while cheering for your team so loudly you get strange stares from the locals. I love it.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-03-2015, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the comment, roywhite.

I'd like to comment on the bolded part of your post. 1) I couldn't agree more. I want a Duke-UVa final so badly because I truly believe that these are the two best teams in the ACC. It would be a game where all players would be giving it all. My over/under for floor burns is 8.5. I would be disappointed if either team didn't make the finals (more disappointed if Duke didn't, of course). As much as I want an easy route to the ACC Championship I want to beat the best. And I'm sure our boys do too. 2) Consider me one of the few who loves the idea of the ACC Tournament Finals on a Saturday rather than a Sunday. Usually, I don't go to a bar on the ACC Tournament Finals; I stay at home and stress out with my wife. However, if (I should say when) Duke is in the finals, I will be at a bar with the Boston Duke community pounding beers knowing that my hangover on Sunday will not deter me from my work.

Whoever moved the finals from Sunday to Saturday clearly enjoys going to the bars and drinking aggressively while cheering for your team so loudly you get strange stares from the locals. I love it.

Here's a scenario to ponder, would you rather have a UVA-Duke final or a UNC-Duke Final. Saying you would rather have a Duke-UNC Semis then a UVA-DUke final doesn't count!! Not cheating. Wahoos are exempt from this question, as we know which one you would rather see haha.

I am putting my vote in for a UVA-Duke final as that would mean UNC lost early making lower level heel tickets readily available in Greensboro!!

Seattle Hoo
03-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Here's a scenario to ponder, would you rather have a UVA-Duke final or a UNC-Duke Final. Saying you would rather have a Duke-UNC Semis then a UVA-DUke final doesn't count!! Not cheating. Wahoos are exempt from this question, as we know which one you would rather see haha.

I am putting my vote in for a UVA-Duke final as that would mean UNC lost early making lower level heel tickets readily available in Greensboro!!

I would rather have a UVA-Duke final than a UVA-UNCheat final because UNCheat sucks. They are not a worthy opponent.

gumbomoop
03-03-2015, 11:39 AM

You are wise beyond your years [even if you're in your dotage] to trust FDD more than me. And it may be, now that the Miami game is but a painful memory, with the prospect that the VT game may soon be totally repressed, too, that K needs no further constructive criticism from DBR. But occasionally this season, multiple posters, posting multiply, wondered aloud about K's coaching acumen.

This is still a conversation worth having, as we might parse the meaning of FDD's phrase, "talent on hand." For I think FDD included, but I was too slow to pick up on, the experience factor as a subset of the talent factor. I do agree with your [roywhite] elaboration of FDD's statement that both coaches are doing an excellent job. K has a "raw talent" advantage, which almost always means O-talent. Bennett has an "experience" advantage, which, in his brilliant bball mind's hands, allows him to coach to a near-perfect level on D.

More conversation? (1) Does Bennett's coaching excellence include O? Is his O-system perfect for his guys' talent level? (2) Does UVa have a whole lot of, not just some "decent," talent?

Olympic Fan
03-03-2015, 12:36 PM

This is a moot discussion -- a Duke-UNC semifinal is impossible.

Duke is locked into the 2-3 seed (probably No. 2 with one more win or one more Notre Dame loss). UNC is locked into the No. 4 or No. 5 spot.

We're going to be in opposite brackets.

CDu
03-03-2015, 12:53 PM
You are wise beyond your years [even if you're in your dotage] to trust FDD more than me. And it may be, now that the Miami game is but a painful memory, with the prospect that the VT game may soon be totally repressed, too, that K needs no further constructive criticism from DBR. But occasionally this season, multiple posters, posting multiply, wondered aloud about K's coaching acumen.

This is still a conversation worth having, as we might parse the meaning of FDD's phrase, "talent on hand." For I think FDD included, but I was too slow to pick up on, the experience factor as a subset of the talent factor. I do agree with your [roywhite] elaboration of FDD's statement that both coaches are doing an excellent job. K has a "raw talent" advantage, which almost always means O-talent. Bennett has an "experience" advantage, which, in his brilliant bball mind's hands, allows him to coach to a near-perfect level on D.

More conversation? (1) Does Bennett's coaching excellence include O? Is his O-system perfect for his guys' talent level? (2) Does UVa have a whole lot of, not just some "decent," talent?

I'll go ahead and give you some support here, gumbo. I certainly wasn't one who questioned Coach K's coaching acumen, but I have certainly questioned our reliance/insistence on playing extended-pressure man-to-man defense (when neither our guards nor our bigs were well-suited to do it) in past years and this year as well. So I would agree with the argument that Coach K hasn't done a "perfect" job of coaching this team this year.

I will say that Coach K has done a terrific job of coaching this team, especially with handling the introduction of 3 freshmen starters, the dismissal of Sulaimon, and finally addressing the defensive limitations with some substantive changes to the defensive strategy. But I agree with you that "perfect" isn't the term I'd use. I'm very pleased with the work he has done this year, but it hasn't been without hiccups along the way.

CDu
03-03-2015, 01:01 PM
This is a moot discussion -- a Duke-UNC semifinal is impossible.

Duke is locked into the 2-3 seed (probably No. 2 with one more win or one more Notre Dame loss). UNC is locked into the No. 4 or No. 5 spot.

We're going to be in opposite brackets.

This is incorrect. UNC could end up #6 by losing their last two games and having any of the following scenarios play out:
- Pittsburgh wins out (Pitt holds the head-to-head tiebreaker)
- State wins out (these two teams split head-to-head, State has the tiebreaker edge by going 1-0 against Duke)

And UNC could finish 7th if they lose out AND State and Pitt win out (State would finish 5th, Pitt 6th, and UNC 7th, as State has the "common-games" best record of 2-1, Pitt 1-1, UNC 1-2).

Now, UNC could make your statement true with a win tonight at Georgia Tech. But let's not count chickens before they hatch. As of this moment, a Duke/UNC semifinal is absolutely still a possibility.

OldPhiKap
03-03-2015, 01:01 PM
I would rather have a UVA-Duke final than a UVA-UNCheat final because UNCheat sucks. They are not a worthy opponent.

Man, you know how to play to the home crowd! ;>)

Seattle Hoo
03-03-2015, 01:12 PM
Man, you know how to play to the home crowd! ;>)

I started watching ACC basketball at the age of 14 when my family moved to Virginia from Florida. Became a UVA fan because 1) I admired Thomas Jefferson, 2) I recognized Ralph Sampson from a Sports Illustrated story the year before, and 3) all the other kids in the neighborhood were douchey Carolina fans. UVA gets one of the most transcendent college players in history and Dean Smith has to ruin it for us by having his most talented teams EVER. Yes, Tar Heel hatred will always be deep in my Hoo soul. The Holes are vulnerable at this point in their history, so any dirt that can be shoveled on them is a good thing in my book.

Don't worry, you guys are next. :cool:

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-03-2015, 01:22 PM
I started watching ACC basketball at the age of 14 when my family moved to Virginia from Florida. Became a UVA fan because 1) I admired Thomas Jefferson, 2) I recognized Ralph Sampson from a Sports Illustrated story the year before, and 3) all the other kids in the neighborhood were douchey Carolina fans. UVA gets one of the most transcendent college players in history and Dean Smith has to ruin it for us by having his most talented teams EVER. Yes, Tar Heel hatred will always be deep in my Hoo soul. The Holes are vulnerable at this point in their history, so any dirt that can be shoveled on them is a good thing in my book.

Don't worry, you guys are next. :cool:

So what you are saying is when we win the ACC tourney against you in a week, your hatred will be shifted to Duke because Tony Bennett has done such a great job and had the best season in UVA history and Coach K had to go ruin it by having one of his best teams hahahaha. *Friendly jab

Seattle Hoo
03-03-2015, 01:46 PM
So what you are saying is when we win the ACC tourney against you in a week, your hatred will be shifted to Duke because Tony Bennett has done such a great job and had the best season in UVA history and Coach K had to go ruin it by having one of his best teams hahahaha. *Friendly jab

In your parallel universe, yep ;)

elvis14
03-03-2015, 02:11 PM

There's no question that I'd rather see a UVa-Duke final. For UNCheat to make the finals, they would have to win games. I NEVER want them to win games. Any games against anybody.

CDu
03-03-2015, 02:14 PM
There's no question that I'd rather see a UVa-Duke final. For UNCheat to make the finals, they would have to win games. I NEVER want them to win games. Any games against anybody.

Agreed. I will be most pleased if UNC finishes 7th in the regular season (by losing out and by State and Pitt winning out)... and then loses on Wednesday to whomever they play in their opening game of the ACC tournament.

Kfanarmy
03-03-2015, 02:18 PM
Yes, Tar Heel hatred will always be deep in my Hoo soul. The Holes are vulnerable at this point in their history, so any dirt that can be shoveled on them is a good thing in my book.

Don't worry, you guys are next. :cool: True, but I wouldn't risk going 13:53 before scoring a second bucket against them...

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-03-2015, 03:57 PM
In your parallel universe, yep ;)

A clever Wahoo is a dangerous Wahoo...

pfrduke
03-04-2015, 12:36 PM
Important win for NCSU yesterday - if they can beat Syracuse at home and win their first round game they'll have 20 overall wins plus 10 (11 with the tourney win) ACC wins, with three of those over Duke, UNC, and Louisville. I still don't think it would be a guarantee, but that would be among the stronger resumes of the bubble teams.

W&LHoo
03-04-2015, 02:19 PM
True, but I wouldn't risk going 13:53 before scoring a second bucket against them...

Obviously we were just trying to give Cuse a head start. Like when you race a little kid.