PDA

View Full Version : Photos from Syracuse @ Duke - 2015

FerryFor50
03-01-2015, 01:24 AM
One of my hobbies is photography, so I took my camera to the game tonight. I've posted the link to the album:

https://plus.google.com/103921882178711819961/posts/fBNxaMFyYza

If any of you want higher res copies of these, let me know via PM and I'll hook you up, free of charge.

juise
03-01-2015, 01:29 AM
Really nice shots. Just out of curiosity, what kind of gear are you using?

FerryFor50
03-01-2015, 01:31 AM
Really nice shots. Just out of curiosity, what kind of gear are you using?

Thanks!

Nikon D7000. Tamron 55-300mm zoom and Nikon 18-115mm.

The Tamron has some focus issues, I think.

weezie
03-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Well done! Use a nice gauzy filter when you take my picture at the Wake game, please. That Tamron will also do just fine...:cool:

h8lightblue
03-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Great photos but I did not see any leg kick outs on those 3's :)

Henderson
03-01-2015, 01:38 PM
One of my hobbies is photography, so I took my camera to the game tonight. I've posted the link to the album:

https://plus.google.com/103921882178711819961/posts/fBNxaMFyYza

If any of you want higher res copies of these, let me know via PM and I'll hook you up, free of charge.

Nice. Thanks. I particularly like the first one that you've made your avatar. Quality stuff.

FerryFor50
03-01-2015, 01:47 PM
Great photos but I did not see any leg kick outs on those 3's :)

I actually had one of Quinn doing it but it ended up on the cutting room floor. :p

devildeac
03-01-2015, 01:55 PM
I actually had one of Quinn doing it but it ended up on the cutting room floor. :p

Something like a Debby Crowder email?:rolleyes:

Henderson
03-01-2015, 01:56 PM

One of the things I've noticed with the "leg kick" is that it's not routinely used. Quinn and Tyus both do it, but often when there is no defensive challenge to the shot. Sometimes they are leaning back to get the shot off, and the leg counterbalances the weight distribution. And when they are challenged, they don't routinely kick out the leg, which may be further evidence that it's not some devious trick to be fouled. But l don't want to derail this thread. Nice photos.

billyt
03-01-2015, 06:44 PM
Nice to see my daughter cheering in the crowd!
Billyt

FerryFor50
03-01-2015, 08:12 PM
One of the things I've noticed with the "leg kick" is that it's not routinely used. Quinn and Tyus both do it, but often when there is no defensive challenge to the shot. Sometimes they are leaning back to get the shot off, and the leg counterbalances the weight distribution. And when they are challenged, they don't routinely kick out the leg, which may be further evidence that it's not some devious trick to be fouled. But l don't want to derail this thread. Nice photos.

Photo evidence of Quinn doing it while shot is contested. :)

But I agree they do it when they aren't guarded as well.

moonpie23
03-01-2015, 09:12 PM
nice shots......should make for some nice blow up posters...

tfk53
03-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Thank you much for sharing the link, FerryFor50 - enjoyed them a lot. I was surprised that you got such great action shots from what appears to be midway up the upper sections. Did you have to do a lot of cropping? Even at 1/250, you got very little blurring
When I get a chance to get into Cameron, it is pretty far up Section 2 and I always have been reluctant to bring my bigger camera. You have changed my mind and will try it on Wednesday against Wake.
Keep on shooting - liked your Grand Canyon shots also!

FerryFor50
03-02-2015, 10:05 AM
Thank you much for sharing the link, FerryFor50 - enjoyed them a lot. I was surprised that you got such great action shots from what appears to be midway up the upper sections. Did you have to do a lot of cropping? Even at 1/250, you got very little blurring
When I get a chance to get into Cameron, it is pretty far up Section 2 and I always have been reluctant to bring my bigger camera. You have changed my mind and will try it on Wednesday against Wake.
Keep on shooting - liked your Grand Canyon shots also!

I was about mid-way, yes, and in the corner.

I had two lenses with me - a 300mm for when Duke was on the opposite end of the court and a 200mm zoom when they were closer to my end.

These were the challenges for the shots:

Distance
I wasn't in the nosebleeds, and Cameron really has few "bad" seats, but it was still far enough away where I had to zoom in a bit. When you zoom in, your lens "slows down," meaning, your aperture shrinks to a smaller pinhole and less light gets in.

Lighting
Less light means you have to adjust your shutter speed to be slower or increase your ISO. Increasing the ISO increases the "noise" in photos, which gives a grainy appearance. You can fix some of that in post-prod. Slower shutter speed at a sporting event means blurry players, which you can't fix. So I jacked the ISO up to 1600 (I generally don't like going above 800) and set the shutter speed to around 1/250 - 1/400 of a second. Some player photos ended up being blurry, but most ended up looking pretty crisp.

Motion of the players
As you know, players tend to move a lot. So the shutter speed is the most important part of the equation. I did whatever I could to get as fast a shutter as I could. That meant tweaking ISO and not zooming all the way in, but instead, cropping after the fact. I use a Nikon D7000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_D7000), which has 16.2 megapixels. That means I can crop pretty far before my picture starts getting too small, especially if I'm just posting to the web.

Limitation of the lenses
My lenses have f3.5 as a minimum aperture, but only when completely zoomed out. As I zoom in, the minimum I get is around f6. I don't like spending a ton on lenses, even though I know how important they are (more important than the camera, in most cases). If I ever turned the hobby into a paying gig (which I've contemplated), then I could buy better lenses with better aperture. :)

I also made sure to shoot in continuous click mode to ensure I got at least one good shot in an action sequence. As for focus, I mentioned the Tamron... it seems to have issues focusing when zoomed all the way in. But the focus mode I used was a single point and then I "locked in" the focus to avoid having the auto-focus kick in on every shot.

Hope this helps and you get some good shots for the Wake game!