PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke 81, Carolina 80 (Senior Night)

AIM4excellence
02-28-2015, 09:29 PM
UNCheat comes to Duke. Duke beat 'em at Carmichael in OT earlier this season. ACC tourney seeding at stake. With a win, Duke gets the double bye. With a loss, Duke gets first day bye only. UNCheat might achieve one bye with a win, depending on the outcome of other games tomorrow. Neither team is firing on all cylinders right now, but both teams get going in the rivalry game.

AIM4excellence
03-01-2015, 12:04 AM
The women play the Heels TOMORROW. (actually I looked at the clock and they're playing this afternoon). Nobody can muster "Beat the Cheats?"

uh_no
03-01-2015, 02:07 AM
Let's Go Duke!

Two big wins in cameron in two big days!

CameronBlue
03-01-2015, 05:09 AM
The women play the Heels TOMORROW. (actually I looked at the clock and they're playing this afternoon). Nobody can muster "Beat the Cheats?"

Elizabeth Williams final regular season game should be sufficient reason for Cameron to be sold out. She deserves the support.

wandalee
03-01-2015, 08:01 AM
The game today worries me since out last 2 outings have been sub-optimal. Hopefully, everyone will be fired up to beat the Holes. Little to no advertising for the game in the Durham area, so there probably won't be a big crowd. Plus, we have freezing rain this morning, which will keep some folks away from Cameron.

GTHC!!!!

killerleft
03-01-2015, 10:57 AM
Five of us coming from Greensboro to show appreciation for the seniors! All you Dermites oughta get there, too! Sylvia's is better so we can show appreciation to her for being the only worse dresser than Lady Gaga.

Go Duke!!! And, as always, GTHC!

burnspbesq
03-01-2015, 11:19 AM
After two bad losses where we didn't compete as hard as the opponent, the best way to honor the seniors is to win every 50/50 ball. We need a win today and two wins in Greensboro to lock in home court for the first weekend of the NCAA tournament. Let's do this.

CameronBornAndBred
03-01-2015, 11:36 AM
Looking forward to a hard fought game. I'll be watching on TV, but I hope to see Cameron packed. (With the right color blue.) Someone above mentioned ACC tourney seeding, this also has huge impacts for the Big Dance. Win, and we'll stay to host at home. Lose, and we'll be elsewhere.

grossbus
03-01-2015, 11:50 AM
as usual, i will be on TV, too, but am also hoping for a big turnout. don't let the CHeaters be louder than us!!!

AIM4excellence
03-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Four seniors and their families are walking out onto the court right now to receive their senior honors. 9 minutes to tipoff on ESPN. Hopefully the Texas/West Va game will end on time so we get to see the tipoff.

BEAT THE UNCheats!

MCFinARL
03-01-2015, 02:59 PM
Four seniors and their families are walking out onto the court right now to receive their senior honors. 9 minutes to tipoff on ESPN. Hopefully the Texas/West Va game will end on time so we get to see the tipoff.

BEAT THE UNCheats!

Alas, it is in overtime right now. Hope the seniors are getting a lot of crowd support.

Henderson
03-01-2015, 03:34 PM
Slightly off-topic quibble: Why does the ESPN site only list women's basketball under the heading "More Sports"?

I'm not suggesting the other sports they specifically provide page links to are unworthy, but surely they have banner space to provide a link to at least ONE women's sport directly from the home page rather than having to click "more sports," like it's poker or horse racing.

dudog84
03-01-2015, 03:54 PM
I am loathe to call out officiating, but I have NEVER seen such incompetence. Our girls are being (wo)man-handled down low, BOGUS call on Amber screen, BOGUS call on Elizabeth for second foul (the first was crap also). The Cheats calling for a technical on Kendall.

Extremely frustrating half. We get a 3-pointer negated by the first bogus call on Elizabeth. They bank in a 3. I love what Kalia has done for this team, but that second foul with more than 12 minutes left in the half was not bright.

GGLC
03-01-2015, 04:01 PM
Those fouls on Elizabeth were awful.

As for the rest of our turnovers...I've heard offense is overrated. Though UNC doesn't seem to think so.

We need to come up with some good adjustments for the second half (and then execute them well).

AIM4excellence
03-01-2015, 04:10 PM
Duke got skunked by UNCheat in the first half - with some help from the officials. Several very bad calls going against Duke - especially on EWill. I disagree with how long EWill sat after that bogus call that went against her. Ka'lia not doing anything right out there. Bunch of goose eggs across her stat line, 1 TO, 2 fouls (and they were correctly called).

Carolina lighting it up from outside 7-11 in the 1st half. They just pass to shift the zone and first open player shoots it. If not for Azura', we'd be down a whole lot more. EWill getting man handled and with those two bogus foul calls, and sitting on the bench, not able to put much on the scoreboard.

Kendall Cooper lucky her second foul was not ruled a flagrant after close review by officials. It could have gone either way but I think they made the right call, leaving it as a simple personal foul.

GGLC
03-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Oh, that coast to coast by Elizabeth right now would have been so gorgeous if she had funished.

Also, the decision not to give Kendall a flagrant was correct; the UNC player flopped pretty majorly.

7-0 run right now!

GGLC
03-01-2015, 04:18 PM
Huge run!

uh_no
03-01-2015, 04:19 PM
Huge run!

that's one way to start the half. sheesh. not watching yet until the uconn game is done, but kinda wish i was

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-01-2015, 04:29 PM
Is Sylvia Hatchell trying out for a role on Buck Rogers revival show or what?

GGLC
03-01-2015, 04:39 PM
I hope those missed free throws don't came back to bite us.

Love to see UNC losing composure with its turnovers.

Class of '94
03-01-2015, 04:47 PM
I am proud of both the coaching staff and the women for making this turnaround in the second half. It appears that the coaching staff made some the nice halftime adjustments; and the women (for the most part) are playing more together and with much more fight and tenacity (although Carolina has just cut the lead to 7).

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-01-2015, 04:51 PM
I am proud of both the coaching staff and the women for making this turnaround in the second half. It appears that the coaching staff made some the nice halftime adjustments; and the women (for the most part) are playing more together and with much more fight and tenacity (although Carolina has just cut the lead to 7).
Not so fast... We gotta value the ball far more than we are right now.

uh_no
03-01-2015, 04:52 PM

i'd imagine having your all american center back on the floor is nice!

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-01-2015, 05:01 PM
This terrible coaching not to get the ball to EW every single time.

uh_no
03-01-2015, 05:09 PM
This terrible coaching not to get the ball to EW every single time.

good thing sylvia saves up her timeouts like roy....apparnetly UNC is as bad as about everyone else at running competent offense as the clock is running donw

I'll never understand it. you run offense all game long but insist on going away from that offense when you absolutely need it....

and now they use it. yeesh.

uh_no
03-01-2015, 05:11 PM
then why did duke defend on the last play? the refs almost could have called a foul on that last shot....

anyway, well fought game. clearly this duke team is much better with ewill on the floor. good adjustments to better deny after UNC went down 10 or 12 or whatever it was.

CameronBornAndBred
03-01-2015, 05:12 PM
Awesome win, amazing second half. WOW...that shot at the end, really? Whew to no foul on it.
WOOOHOOOO!!!! GTHC!!!

dudog84
03-01-2015, 05:15 PM
Most satisfying win in recent memory. Though they made me sweat for it. Is Becca a gamer or what?

Can't believe we already have complaints about the coach.

Bob Green
03-01-2015, 05:16 PM
That was a lot of fun to watch. Our offense looked very good when we pushed tempo. The high low pass to EWill was executed flawlessly multiple times when we were running our half court offense.

MCFinARL
03-01-2015, 05:17 PM
That was one of the more unusual basketball games I have seen--with long sections where each team completely dominated and others where everyone seemed to be scrambling. But in the end a hard fought and very satisfying victory. Very glad Williams, Johnson, Henson and Frush won their senior night game.

GGLC
03-01-2015, 05:21 PM
Why in the world did we defend at all on that last play? That was absolutely awful; I truly hope Coach P recognized the game situation sufficiently to tell the players not to defend that, and it was just a mental lapse on the court.

Fantastic win; glad we pulled it out.

GTHC!

Duvall
03-01-2015, 05:21 PM
GO TO HELL CAROLINA!

Stronger post to follow.

MCFinARL
03-01-2015, 05:23 PM
GO TO HELL CAROLINA!

Stronger post to follow.

There is no stronger post!

-jk
03-01-2015, 05:27 PM
Phew!

-jk

-jk
03-01-2015, 05:27 PM
And "A win is a win." Especially against Them...

-jk

MCFinARL
03-01-2015, 05:57 PM
Slightly off-topic quibble: Why does the ESPN site only list women's basketball under the heading "More Sports"?

I'm not suggesting the other sports they specifically provide page links to are unworthy, but surely they have banner space to provide a link to at least ONE women's sport directly from the home page rather than having to click "more sports," like it's poker or horse racing.

If you are on a computer, instead of a phone, you can also get women's basketball at the bottom of the menu for NCAAB, on the home page. But yes, it's certainly hidden away.

throatybeard
03-01-2015, 06:04 PM
Rarh grarrrrh mrrrarrrh McCallie terrible graaarh blarrrr. Shmrarrrr!!!

Oh wait, we won?

CameronBlue
03-01-2015, 06:07 PM

Oh wait, we won?

Yup, so presumably we will be spared the ritualistic bus-letting in the post game. It's a perk.

OldPhiKap
03-01-2015, 06:07 PM

Oh wait, we won?

Never let results get in the way of a pre-determined narrative.

aswewere
03-01-2015, 06:17 PM
Sylvia is the only one under the bus today. Lovely win Ladies .

CameronBornAndBred
03-01-2015, 06:42 PM

On the whole, ESPN does a great job of covering women's basketball (by comparison, anyway), but I've often wondered about the linking to their women's basketball page too. It USED to be it's own link on the menu, and they removed it a year or so ago. Made little sense, since you are talking about an empty space on their navigation bar vs a working link.

throatybeard
03-01-2015, 06:44 PM

Don't worry. The narrative will come back in a week or so.

-jk
03-01-2015, 06:51 PM

But that suit! SciFi B movie! Ouch!

(And, I confess, I'm a fan of B SciFi movies!)

-jk

throatybeard
03-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Also, why is ESPN trying to force feed us cricket? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hater, but methinks this won't profit them as much or as quickly as soccer did. (And yes, I know India has lots of people).

GGLC
03-01-2015, 07:12 PM
You got me excited about watching cricket, but I don't see any cricket.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-01-2015, 07:17 PM
Several of the coaching comments came during the game including mine as we blew a huge lead taking dumb shot after dumb shot instead of methodically passing into EW at the low post. The end of game management left much to be desired as it was unfolding. Thankfully we pulled it out.

burnspbesq
03-01-2015, 07:19 PM
You got me excited about watching cricket, but I don't see any cricket.

ESPN's coverage of the Cricket World Cup costs $99.99. I'm a big cricket fan (long story about my honeymoon in Australia), but not that big.

burnspbesq
03-01-2015, 07:22 PM
Well, because you asked for it, a pivotal half-time adjustment by Duke. By extending the defense, they took away the pass to the logo and forced Carolina to move the ball around the perimeter. With more pressure on them, a team that shoots 30 percent from three on the year reverted to mean.

When Azura got the steal in the open floor, I was screaming "Dunk It!" at my iPad. Maybe someday.

uh_no
03-01-2015, 07:25 PM
Well, because you asked for it, a pivotal half-time adjustment by Duke. By extending the defense, they took away the pass to the logo and forced Carolina to move the ball around the perimeter. With more pressure on them, a team that shoots 30 percent from three on the year reverted to mean.

When Azura got the steal in the open floor, I was screaming "Dunk It!" at my iPad. Maybe someday.

Thanks for that! I missed all of the first half, so didn't see any change other than ewill being back on the floor. we also forced more turnovers and killed them in transition in the second half

GGLC
03-01-2015, 07:28 PM
I assume we can all agree that, up 4 with two seconds to go, there is literally no reason why anyone should be playing any defense whatsoever, since playing defense in that situation is LITERALLY the only way that the opposing team has a chance to win.

53n206
03-01-2015, 07:34 PM
Agree, no defense.

burnspbesq
03-01-2015, 07:37 PM
I assume we can all agree that, up 4 with two seconds to go, there is literally no reason why anyone should be playing any defense whatsoever, since playing defense in that situation is LITERALLY the only way that the opposing team has a chance to win.

Frankly, no, I don't agree. You put a big on the inbounds passer, and you guard everyone else to force them to catch it going away from the basket. Then you back off.

If you play no defense, they roll it down the floor for a layup with almost no time going off the clock, and then you have to inbound. And our inbounds plays have been an adventure all year. Forgotten the end of the South Carolina game?

killerleft
03-01-2015, 07:38 PM
Several of the coaching comments came during the game including mine as we blew a huge lead taking dumb shot after dumb shot instead of methodically passing into EW at the low post. The end of game management left much to be desired as it was unfolding. Thankfully we pulled it out.

Why blame the coaches? They don't run bad shot drills. They probably even tell the women not to take them.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-01-2015, 07:39 PM
Yep. I told my son during the timeout, "Watch, our players should just be standing by the sideline or at least just standing still somewhere on the court." Then the camera shows our team taking active defensive positions and my son wondered why I had made such a dumb prediction. In the end, didn't matter but that last three pointer came with a duke defender actively trying not to foul the shooter. There shouldn't have been a duke defender within 10 feet of the shooter.

GGLC
03-01-2015, 07:45 PM
Frankly, no, I don't agree. You put a big on the inbounds passer, and you guard everyone else to force them to catch it going away from the basket. Then you back off.

If you play no defense, they roll it down the floor for a layup with almost no time going off the clock, and then you have to inbound. And our inbounds plays have been an adventure all year. Forgotten the end of the South Carolina game?

Wow.

There are two seconds left. It is literally impossible for UNC to score four points in two seconds in that game situation.

The kind of layup you describe would take more than two seconds off the clock...and that's for two points.

Guarding the inbounds? Fine. But choosing to guard the other team's shooters in that situation changed our win expectancy from 100 percent to something like 97 percent. Obviously we still win the vast majority of the time regardless, but why even give them a window?

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-01-2015, 07:54 PM
Why blame the coaches? They don't run bad shot drills. They probably even tell the women not to take them.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not...

I do blame the coach(es). If I'm not mistaken, they are the ones giving direction and calling the plays. One example... with about a minute and a half to go and a three point lead, we should have had EW on the block posting her defender who had 4 fouls. Instead, she gets the ball at the top of the three point line toward the end of the shot clock, tries to dribble drive and loses the ball. Another example just prior to that... the ladies are passing the ball around without one look into EW and settle for a foot-on-the-three-point-line jumper that clangs out.

Those are end of game situations that a coach should be managing. All American center. Defender with 4 fouls. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out how to ice the game.

Anyway, at the time, it was very frustrating to watch. But the ladies played their hearts out. And while we were a bit lucky at the end of the game not to blow it, a win is a win and the lady devils absolutely earned it.

uh_no
03-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Wow.

There are two seconds left. It is literally impossible for UNC to score four points in two seconds in that game situation.

The kind of layup you describe would take more than two seconds off the clock...and that's for two points.

Guarding the inbounds? Fine. But choosing to guard the other team's shooters in that situation changed our win expectancy from 100 percent to something like 97 percent. Obviously we still win the vast majority of the time regardless, but why even give them a window?

Further, the UNC player was bumped while the pass was in the air....what if the ref calls that?

UNC makes the first shot, misses the second, and 2 seconds is plenty enough time to pass it out for a game tying three. two seconds is going to run off...and if it doesn't and they score? chuck the inbounds pass all the way down the court where there's no time for anything but the clock to expire before a shot gets off.

I see this all the time...cost Uconn a game once against miami...when the clock is going to expire and you're up, don't inbound it under your basket. just chuck it down court and ensure that someone is there to touch it so the clock can expire. who cares if it's a turnover if the other team can't possibly get a shot off?

killerleft
03-01-2015, 09:20 PM
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not...

I do blame the coach(es). If I'm not mistaken, they are the ones giving direction and calling the plays. One example... with about a minute and a half to go and a three point lead, we should have had EW on the block posting her defender who had 4 fouls. Instead, she gets the ball at the top of the three point line toward the end of the shot clock, tries to dribble drive and loses the ball. Another example just prior to that... the ladies are passing the ball around without one look into EW and settle for a foot-on-the-three-point-line jumper that clangs out.

Those are end of game situations that a coach should be managing. All American center. Defender with 4 fouls. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out how to ice the game.

Anyway, at the time, it was very frustrating to watch. But the ladies played their hearts out. And while we were a bit lucky at the end of the game not to blow it, a win is a win and the lady devils absolutely earned it.

Not being sarcastic so much as wondering if you know that plans go awry, especially when we are short on ballhandlers and the refs are allowing the Tar Heels to literally hold and push Elizabeth and Azura all game long until they can finally get a pass thrown to them. Poor Azura probably has bruises on her back. Did you credit the coaches when we made the fantastic run and played great for a large part of the second half?

It might be important to realize that the coaches can't actually make the passes and shoot the ball for the players. That might seem sarcastic, too, but it is not. Did you blame Coach K when Miami blew the men's team out earlier this year, or do you think the players might have just played badly? Sometimes the players play better than other times, that's all. Carolina played tough defense, was allowed to muscle up underneath, and our women made some bad decisions.

We beat our arch rivals twice this year. We've got personnel problems. Big win for me. Loved the speeches afterward. I couldn't hear the speeches very well, but loved watching the seniors enjoy their time in the spotlight. Did a couple of them actually thank their head coach? I was led to believe that doesn't happen.

Our men's team beats the Tar Heels and everybody's happy because we won, nobody blames K when it's closer than we'd like, when the players make mistakes. The women's team beats the Tar Heels and Coach P can't coach. Double standard, anyone?

CameronBornAndBred
03-01-2015, 09:24 PM
Our men's team beats the Tar Heels and everybody's happy because we won, nobody blames K when it's closer than we'd like, when the players make mistakes. The women's team beats the Tar Heels and Coach P can't coach. Double standard anyone?
She also wasn't inclusive of herself in all of her statements.

“The second half was a great reflection of what we're capable of doing,” Duke head coach Joanne P. McCallie said. “I just really liked our whole second half and our team showed great composure because we were down 11 at that point. They were very focused and very clear.”
Hate seeing her throw her players under the bus like that.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2015/03/01/big-second-half-run-powers-duke-womens-basketball-past-north-carolina#.VPPIBvnF9BE
(Check out the link for more quotes from both Coach and players, good stuff to read!)

uh_no
03-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Our men's team beats the Tar Heels and everybody's happy because we won, nobody blames K when it's closer than we'd like, when the players make mistakes. The women's team beats the Tar Heels and Coach P can't coach. Double standard, anyone?

uhhhh....there were several people, myself included, that had severe questions on K's managing of the defense throughout the game.

Double standard? Only the one you bring.

CameronBornAndBred
03-01-2015, 09:33 PM
P's post game presser is here.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/no-16-duke-women-earn-wild-81-80-win-over-no-15-unc/14482771/
Hatchell's is here.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/video/14482896/
Hatchell's quote of "Between now and Greensboro we're going to take boxing lessons" takes some gall; her team did their best to beat the hell out of us, literally.

jimsumner
03-01-2015, 09:40 PM
It's not that easy to get the ball to your All-America center when the opposing team is swarming her with physical defenders and your point guard is in a prolonged funk.

Play calls are one thing, execution is another. No battle plan survives contact with the enemy.

CameronBornAndBred
03-01-2015, 10:24 PM
Interesting tidbit..

Duke: This was the 100th ACC victory for McCallie, the Blue Devils' eighth-year coach. No other coach in league history has done it in less time.
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=400593180

Des Esseintes
03-01-2015, 10:45 PM
Interesting tidbit..

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=400593180

Incredible. Just imagine how much more quickly she'd have gotten there if she knew how to coach! Then Duke would have the program it really deserves!

Duvall
03-01-2015, 11:29 PM

It is good, on multiple levels, to see Hatchell back on the sidelines coaching the Heels.

burnspbesq
03-02-2015, 12:51 AM
P's post game presser is here.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/no-16-duke-women-earn-wild-81-80-win-over-no-15-unc/14482771/
Hatchell's is here.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/video/14482896/
Hatchell's quote of "Between now and Greensboro we're going to take boxing lessons" takes some gall; her team did their best to beat the hell out of us, literally.

Not worried very much about seeing the Sylvias again this year. In order for that to happen, they most likely have to beat Louisville and FSU (and one other), and we most likely have to beat Cuse and ND.

dudog84
03-02-2015, 09:43 AM
To all the people so very displeased with Coach P, chew on this:

In a game that was sure to be close, with HUGE implications not just for ACC Tournament seeding but also hosting the first weekend of the NCAAs, she started Jenna Frush.

And while we're at it, here's to Jenna. A kid in pre-med, who with full knowledge that she's going to get 20-30 minutes of game time all season, spends 4 years going to all the same practices, weight sessions, and whatever else as her teammates.

Thanks Jenna.

CameronBornAndBred
03-02-2015, 10:13 AM
To all the people so very displeased with Coach P, chew on this:

In a game that was sure to be close, with HUGE implications not just for ACC Tournament seeding but also hosting the first weekend of the NCAAs, she started Jenna Frush.

And while we're at it, here's to Jenna. A kid in pre-med, who with full knowledge that she's going to get 20-30 minutes of game time all season, spends 4 years going to all the same practices, weight sessions, and whatever else as her teammates.

Thanks Jenna.
Coach P talked a good bit about Jenna in her press conference.