PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Syracuse @ Duke (Feb 28, 7 pm, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

MChambers
02-27-2015, 02:00 PM
Time to discuss our rematch with Syracuse. Can Duke rediscover its defensive chops? Will Okafor again play Scrooge to Syracuse's Christmas? Will Jim Boeheim tear off his jacket again? Discuss.

weezie
02-27-2015, 02:02 PM
Time to discuss our rematch with Syracuse. Can Duke rediscover its defensive chops? Will Okafor again play Scrooge to Syracuse's Christmas? Will Jim Boeheim tear off his jacket again? Discuss.

I'm betting Boeheim picks his nose. :eek:

flyingdutchdevil
02-27-2015, 02:07 PM

Don't really like the Scrooge-Christmas reference. Cus Christmas won.

How about the Grinch vs Christmas? The Grinch stole Christmas, and it took a tiny Who to get Christmas back. Fortunately for Duke, Whos don't exist!

NYBri
02-27-2015, 02:08 PM
The 'Cuse is playing well in spite of their self imposed post season sanctioning.

Not a game to be taken lightly. Ask Mike Brey.

MCFinARL
02-27-2015, 02:14 PM
The 'Cuse is playing well in spite of their self imposed post season sanctioning.

Not a game to be taken lightly. Ask Mike Brey.

Yes. I think the post season sanctions likely increase their incentive to play as well as possible, especially against top-level teams in the conference. I think we can expect this one to be very hard fought.

Kedsy
02-27-2015, 02:26 PM
I'm interested to see how Duke plays in this re-match. I have a theory that this year's Duke team (with all its youth) will be especially impressive in re-match games, because our players have a better idea what to expect from the opponent, how much effort is required, etc. So far, however, we only have one data point (Notre Dame, which would seem to support the otherwise unsubstantiated theory). Tomorrow's game starts a mini-streak of 4 to 6 consecutive games against opponents we've played before, so I'm anxious to see if my theory has any validity at all.

wilko
02-27-2015, 02:34 PM
I'm interested to see how Duke plays in this re-match. I have a theory that this year's Duke team (with all its youth) will be especially impressive in re-match games, because our players have a better idea what to expect from the opponent, how much effort is required, etc. So far, however, we only have one data point (Notre Dame, which would seem to support the otherwise unsubstantiated theory). Tomorrow's game starts a mini-streak of 4 to 6 consecutive games against opponents we've played before, so I'm anxious to see if my theory has any validity at all.

I'm trying to restrain my optimism of us pitching another "No Hitter" the way we did vs: ND.
Hope you are right.

flyingdutchdevil
02-27-2015, 02:35 PM

Interesting theory. Do you think it's more of a "what to expect from the opponent" or a "we got beaten by a team we should have beat" theory for ND? Against Syracuse, I'm expecting a very tough match. Not necessarily tougher than in the Carrier Dome, but tough nonetheless.

If we face NC State or Miami, I expect this team to be much more motivated than if we were to face a team that we already beat. It's why I would love another shot at these two teams in the ACC Tourney, cus I think we'll bring ND@Cameron-type fire.

MCFinARL
02-27-2015, 02:45 PM
Interesting theory. Do you think it's more of a "what to expect from the opponent" or a "we got beaten by a team we should have beat" theory for ND? Against Syracuse, I'm expecting a very tough match. Not necessarily tougher than in the Carrier Dome, but tough nonetheless.

If we face NC State or Miami, I expect this team to be much more motivated than if we were to face a team that we already beat. It's why I would love another shot at these two teams in the ACC Tourney, cus I think we'll bring ND@Cameron-type fire.

In theory, I agree. But I have to be honest--NC State scares me right now. They have been looking like they have finally figured out how to play well consistently.

FerryFor50
02-27-2015, 02:47 PM

RE: Miami... given how bad Angel Rodriguez has played since Miami beat Duke, I'd fully expect him to have another career night against them if they played again. :p

Kedsy
02-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Interesting theory. Do you think it's more of a "what to expect from the opponent" or a "we got beaten by a team we should have beat" theory for ND?

I don't know. But my guess is it's the former. The second Notre Dame didn't feel like a revenge game to me, it felt more like a "we know they're going to bring it, but we can handle it this time" game.

During the pre-season (for my purposes, including BC @Duke on January 3), Duke got up and played great in the games the players knew would be tough (Michigan State, Wisconsin) but were basically just so much more talented that they could coast against our other opponents and still win. Then, boom, boom, boom, we didn't play so well against Wake, State, Miami, and to me the players looked kind of stunned -- they didn't know what to expect from second-tier ACC teams, didn't realize they'd play so tough and physically, didn't realize how good they were.

And I think the pattern continued from there -- we played really well in games the players knew would be tough (Louisville, Virginia), and not so great in some of the other games. Although because we had some idea from our early experiences against other ACC teams, our surprise wasn't quite as great against, e.g., Georgia Tech and Florida State as it was against NC State and Miami, so we were able to pull out close wins. Notre Dame seemed to surprise our players when they came back at the end of our first game with them. Virginia Tech seemed to surprise us by the fact that they weren't terrible. Even UNC seemed to surprise us with their toughness for the middle 20 minutes of that game.

But that's over now, at least until the NCAA tournament begins. Our next 4 to 6 opponents won't surprise us that way because we've played them before. We know how tough they are and how hard they'll play against us. We know how much effort we have to bring in response.

It's a theory, anyway. We'll see what really happens over the next few games.

MChambers
02-27-2015, 03:09 PM
Don't really like the Scrooge-Christmas reference. Cus Christmas won.

How about the Grinch vs Christmas? The Grinch stole Christmas, and it took a tiny Who to get Christmas back. Fortunately for Duke, Whos don't exist!
Good points! I think I meant to type Grinch, but was multitasking and screwed up!

gam7
02-27-2015, 03:10 PM
It's a theory, anyway. We'll see what really happens over the next few games.

"Hypothesis" may be more accurate. Feels good to try to "pull a Kedsy" on the man himself!

freshmanjs
02-27-2015, 03:16 PM
why are we playing Syracuse twice in consecutive seasons? i thought that should not happen with the new scheduling approach since they are not one of our permanent rivals. we should only play them 3 times every 12 years i believe.

Bob Green
02-27-2015, 03:41 PM
why are we playing Syracuse twice in consecutive seasons?

Because ESPN likes $$$$$.

freshmanjs
02-27-2015, 03:51 PM
Because ESPN likes $$$$$.

if that were the answer, then we'd be doing so again next year. we're not, though.

killerleft
02-27-2015, 04:47 PM
if that were the answer, then we'd be doing so again next year. we're not, though.

I'm pretty sure $$$$ is the answer. ESPN was greedy and wanted our two-game-a-year meetings with them right now rather than later.

Billy Dat
02-27-2015, 05:13 PM
Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 1h1 hour ago
To simulate the wings in the Syracuse 2-3 zone, Duke had Amile Jefferson and Marshall Plumlee play on the wings against the offense

(my take - I guess Matt is starting)

flyingdutchdevil
02-27-2015, 05:15 PM
Laura Keeley ‏@laurakeeley 1h1 hour ago
To simulate the wings in the Syracuse 2-3 zone, Duke had Amile Jefferson and Marshall Plumlee play on the wings against the offense

(my take - I guess Matt is starting)

Yeah. That seems to be the path forward.

Coach K sure loves those 4s who can shoot, huh?

dukelifer
02-27-2015, 07:10 PM

Control silent G. Syracuse played well in the first match up and clearly know what they need to do. But G was on fire and it will be interesting to see if he can replicate in any way. Duke needs to play smart and make their throws. Should be good game.

Tripping William
02-27-2015, 07:12 PM
Tomorrow may be the only day I share anything in common with Ol' Roy. I won't be in the dadgum Christmas spirit. I hope Jah isn't, either.

uh_no
02-27-2015, 07:16 PM
it'll be a blow out win. we'll win by 30

jk. I'll expect a 10-15 point victory. we've played very well in rematches this year (one for one!). I think that being at home against a zone, the game will never be in question (that whole knowing your spots thing), but I expect cuse will score enough points to prevent it getting out of hand a-la ND. If it is really jah's injury keeping them from going all out on defense, I'm skeptical much will have changed from the VT game in terms of ability to go harder.

MarkD83
02-27-2015, 08:28 PM

So I should get my antacid pills and expect that Syracuse shoots 70% from 3s and we go to OT?

Kedsy
02-27-2015, 11:18 PM
"Hypothesis" may be more accurate. Feels good to try to "pull a Kedsy" on the man himself!

Agreed. Hypothesis would be more accurate. After the four-to-six game stretch is over, perhaps I can upgrade it to a theory.

gcashwell
02-27-2015, 11:39 PM

He likes his best five at the time. Amile hasn't been good lately. We need that to change.

There's something I don't like about this game. I can't put my finger on it though.

MChambers
02-28-2015, 08:22 AM
Agreed. Hypothesis would be more accurate. After the four-to-six game stretch is over, perhaps I can upgrade it to a theory.
Does your hypothesis/future theory mean that Duke will be in trouble in the NCAA tournament, since we are unlikely to have many, if any, rematches then? Or do you modify your hypothesis to posit that our young team will immediately know that tournament games require extra commitment?

Duke3517
02-28-2015, 08:39 AM
Does your hypothesis/future theory mean that Duke will be in trouble in the NCAA tournament, since we are unlikely to have many, if any, rematches then? Or do you modify your hypothesis to posit that our young team will immediately know that tournament games require extra commitment?

I just feel like Duke's problem will be that they will see a team that is not nearly as talented but they will get punched in the mouth because of their defensive lapses. Youth could be a problem because the sense of urgency come tournament time is so much different than the regular season. Duke has Quinn Cook who has that experience being that he has been as far as the elite 8 and been disappointed to get knocked out in the first round. Hopefully that experience helps the youth of Duke come tournament time.

OldPhiKap
02-28-2015, 08:39 AM
Given that Syracuse is not playing in any post-season, this game literally may be their championship of the year game (although on Monday, they have their last home game v. UVa). They think they should have won the game in Cameron last year. They will certainly bring it, hard.

Duke3517
02-28-2015, 08:42 AM
Given that Syracuse is not playing in any post-season, this game literally may be their championship of the year game (although on Monday, they have their last home game v. UVa). They think they should have won the game in Cameron last year. They will certainly bring it, hard.

Silent G will also come with a little extra motivation as well. Glad he is doing well.

OldPhiKap
02-28-2015, 08:46 AM
Silent G will also come with a little extra motivation as well. Glad he is doing well.

Agreed on both counts. Always liked {g} and glad he landed in a good spot. I root for him all but one or two times a year!

moonpie23
02-28-2015, 08:55 AM

jk. I'll expect a 10-15 point victory. we've played very well in rematches this year (one for one!). I think that being at home against a zone, the game will never be in question (that whole knowing your spots thing), but I expect cuse will score enough points to prevent it getting out of hand a-la ND. If it is really jah's injury keeping them from going all out on defense, I'm skeptical much will have changed from the VT game in terms of ability to go harder.

ye shall incur wrath with this...

sagegrouse
02-28-2015, 09:03 AM
Some have already been mentioned.

Will Rakeem Christmas come roaring back against Okafor and Duke? He was held to 11 and 6 by Jahlil, who scored 23 and had 13 rebounds.

Does Gbinijie have another big game in him? He scored 19 in the first half at the Carrier Dome. It will be interesting to see if Duke makes some defensive adjustments.

Can Jahlil and others make free throws? At Virginia Tech we shot below 50 percent.

Will the team play with a high level of energy? The Devils looked slow in Blacksburg (ankle weights?).

Will Duke be able to penetrate the Orange's zone and get shots in the paint as well as passes to open threes?

Will the threes be falling for Duke?

TKG
02-28-2015, 09:11 AM
IMO, we need to rebound well and push the ball up the floor- like we did against Virginia. Do not let the Orangemen set up their zone. Big opportunity for Justise tonight; could be his kind of game.

lotusland
02-28-2015, 09:13 AM
ye shall incur wrath with this...
Yeah JK if we lose or it's a nail biter prepare for pages and pages of chastisement because of that reverse voodoo hoo-doo you do so well.

lotusland
02-28-2015, 09:22 AM

This I don't really understand since, in 2010, we basically rotated MP1, MP2, Lance and Zoubek at 4 and 5 which seemed to work out pretty well. Ryan barely played and Kyle had maybe a few minutes at 4 but mostly we had a non-shooter at 4. Amile is a 60% free throw shooter so I'm OK with him taking the 15 footer or, if he draws the defense, going to the basket off the bounce. Matt really hasn't shown much of a mid-range game either so I don't see the benefit of having him in that role over Amile.

weezie
02-28-2015, 10:34 AM
Silent G will also come with a little extra motivation as well.

I would agree and bet he gets a warm round of applause from the Crazies.

Until the ball tips, that is.

Troublemaker
02-28-2015, 11:23 AM

So does Jahlil, who appreciates making it tough for teams to double-team him. And so do Tyus, Justise, and Quinn, who all enjoy the floor being spaced for their drives.

Amile is a 60% free throw shooter so I'm OK with him taking the 15 footer or, if he draws the defense, going to the basket off the bounce. Matt really hasn't shown much of a mid-range game either so I don't see the benefit of having him in that role over Amile.

That's not Matt's role, though. It's completely different. Matt stands outside the 3-pt line to space the floor and hits threes at a 37% clip, which is waaaay more efficient than having Amile shoot midrange jumpers.

Furniture
02-28-2015, 11:36 AM
Control silent G. Syracuse played well in the first match up and clearly know what they need to do. But G was on fire and it will be interesting to see if he can replicate in any way. Duke needs to play smart and make their throws. Should be good game.

I think G was on fire in the first half but K made an adjustment in the second and took him out of it.

Saratoga2
02-28-2015, 12:18 PM
I don't buy all the talk about players and teams being speciallly motivated for the many reasons given. Players may be tired from travel, study, too many late nights or may find it difficult to adjust to lineup changes or specific offenses and defenses they play against or in. I tend to think players are motivated to play and win and thats a given. Are they prepared? Are they overmached? Have they really learned what is expected of them? Do they have the talent? Those are the questions which I think are more meaningful.

Silent G was hard to handle in our first game, while we held Christmas way below his norm. I would think Justise can handle Silent G as well as anyone we have with a possible switch to Matt from time to time. Handling Christmas is more difficult, since he really is a very good center. Jahlil has the physical talent to slow him down, but is that what he is expected to do, or is he expected to score inside and avoid foul trouble? If not Jahlil, do either Amile or MP3 have the talent to stop him? I don't think are alternative centers are a good matchup.

Other than those two I think we match up well enough and should outscore them from other positions. We need Tyus to get his game going again and we need Amile to show more of the ability that was evident earlier in the year. Has the whack he took against FSU impacted his play? Can't think of another reason for him to have regressed so noticably.

Kedsy
02-28-2015, 01:44 PM

Both of these thoughts have crossed my mind. I think in the early rounds there is a danger of not realizing how much intensity our opponent will bring but, hopefully we'll be able to out-talent them (especially if we're fortunate enough to get a #1 seed) -- although the 2nd round might be dangerous in this regard, depending on opponent. My guess is from the Sweet 16 on, despite probably not having played the opponent before, the players would treat the games like they treated, e.g., Wisconsin, Louisville, Virginia, and our intensity level will be fine.

Native
02-28-2015, 02:15 PM
This one won't be easy. They'll be motivated.

I also am recovering from a nasty bout of flu — today's going to be my flu game, pretty much.

uh_no
02-28-2015, 02:45 PM
This one won't be easy. They'll be motivated.

I also am recovering from a nasty bout of flu — today's going to be my flu game, pretty much.
seems to be goin 'round

Coballs
02-28-2015, 05:40 PM
I'm in Chicago for the weekend and looking for a Duke friendly bar to watch the game. Craft beers are a plus. Any suggestions?

uh_no
02-28-2015, 05:53 PM
I'm in Chicago for the weekend and looking for a Duke friendly bar to watch the game. Craft beers are a plus. Any suggestions?

Try the edmund fitzgerald porter...great beer....ohhh...suggestions for bars...No idea sorry :)

Coballs
02-28-2015, 06:09 PM
Try the edmund fitzgerald porter...great beer....ohhh...suggestions for bars...No idea sorry :)

Very helpful :/

OldPhiKap
02-28-2015, 06:12 PM

Biggest challenge is, you need to drink 29 of them.

Y'know -- for each man
on the Ed-mond
Fitz-gerALD!!!

(Really sorry, will self-ban for a few hours)

kcduke75
02-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Just got the scouting report. Double off Joseph and 3-2 zone. Winning formula

-jk
02-28-2015, 06:19 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Brisch
02-28-2015, 06:28 PM
Love checking out the boards before SU-Duke games. An intelligent, respectable fanbase is a beautiful thing. Someone mentioned that Duke's youth will lead to a positive "rematch effect," for lack of a better way to phrase it. It's funny because up here, we're thinking the same thing for SU. I agree 100% and would liken it to a batter seeing a strong pitcher the second time through the lineup in baseball. As a batter, you know where he wants to locate the ball, you know what his out pitch is, and you know what to wait for. I think Kaleb Joseph will be a little more effective after seeing Duke's defense for a second time, and I definitely think Christmas will put away all the close-range shots he missed in the game at the Dome. Also, Gbinije is going to want to light it up since this may be his last time playing in Durham.

It will be interesting to see how the same "rematch effect" works for Duke. Will Okafor have to play a cleaner game on Christmas this time around? Not that last game was dirty, but the refs allowed him to make a ton of contact. Will they get more open looks against the zone seeing it a second time? If Duke gets hot from 3, the game won't be very close for very long. Cooney's been having back issues lately and we don't do well in shootouts. If not, I think SU goes in and steals one.

My prediction is that SU fixes a lot of the mistakes they made in the first game and holds off a late rally. Cuse 79 - Duke 76. Payback! Good luck guys.

Bob Green
02-28-2015, 06:34 PM
My prediction is that SU fixes a lot of the mistakes they made in the first game and holds off a late rally. Cuse 79 - Duke 76. Payback! Good luck guys.

Welcome to DBR! Your prediction seems reasonable. Of course, we all expect the final to be Duke 79 - Syracuse 76. Enjoy! And be sure to stop back in during and after the game.

riverside6
02-28-2015, 06:49 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Syracuse, starters posted....

http://www.scacchoops.com/syracuse-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-02282015

jhmoss1812
02-28-2015, 06:55 PM
You guys just wanna lose tonight so UVA can clinch back-to-back regular season titles? They don't mean anything so you might as well just let us have it :)

duketaylor
02-28-2015, 07:15 PM
I expect a little lower scoring game, more like Duke 70-Cuse 64. Tough game, mostly well-played. Little chance G scores another 27 or so.

uh_no
02-28-2015, 07:40 PM
Three badly missed lob passes the only thing keeping this close

jipops
02-28-2015, 07:41 PM
Winslow has been amazing so far.

rocketeli
02-28-2015, 07:44 PM
oh god don't show Joe wig-I mean Lundardi again

MartyClark
02-28-2015, 07:44 PM
Winslow has been amazing so far.

Winslow is great. ESPN really stinks with all this Lunardi yakking on split screens during the game.

dairedevil
02-28-2015, 07:47 PM
I really don't give a flying flip about Joe Lunardi and who he thinks is getting a number one seed. Why on earth ESPN insists on a split screen during game play to ask him inane questions. UGH!

it's as meaningful as the local news breaking in every five minutes to give us an update on the "winter weather event" in Atlanta this week.

Tripping William
02-28-2015, 07:52 PM
FTs now in Jah's head.....

DukieTiger
02-28-2015, 07:55 PM
Justice Winslow is playing HARD.

Duke's actually playing pretty well/hard on defense, but has been slow to some loose balls and need to defensive rebound better.

Karl Beem
02-28-2015, 07:59 PM
Typical end of half play.

Coballs
02-28-2015, 08:00 PM
Is it possible that Jahlil is getting even worse at shooting FTs?

Karl Beem
02-28-2015, 08:00 PM
Winslow is great. ESPN really stinks with all this Lunardi yakking on split screens during the game.

I'd pay extra never to see that man on TV.

arnie
02-28-2015, 08:03 PM
I really don't give a flying flip about Joe Lunardi and who he thinks is getting a number one seed. Why on earth ESPN insists on a split screen during game play to ask him inane questions. UGH!

it's as meaningful as the local news breaking in every five minutes to give us an update on the "winter weather event" in Atlanta this week.

I understand joe is lobbying for full screen headshots during the games with soft play-by-play in the background.

duketaylor
02-28-2015, 08:05 PM
The whole Lunardi in-game thing is getting even worse. Please let it stop. He says Nova passes Duke if Cuse wins tonight. I disagree, too many really good road wins for us. Especially at Wisky. OOC wins are solid. Just need to win tonight and finish the regular season strong.

jipops
02-28-2015, 08:07 PM
Our defense stinks!!...oh...i had that typed and ready to post before the game.

DU82
02-28-2015, 08:07 PM
FTs now in Jah's head.....

Yep. He's changed his routine when he was at least hitting some. He used to dribble four times then shot, now he shots without a dribble. (Changing routines in the middle of a season is usually not good.). I'll worry even more if he starts shooting FTs as jump shot, ala Kenny Dennard.

MartyClark
02-28-2015, 08:10 PM
The whole Lunardi in-game thing is getting even worse. Please let it stop. He says Nova passes Duke if Cuse wins tonight. I disagree, too many really good road wins for us. Especially at Wisky. OOC wins are solid. Just need to win tonight and finish the regular season strong.

But he's using a computer when we see him. This must be correct and important enough to disrupt the actual game with. Right?

Tripping William
02-28-2015, 08:11 PM
Yep. He's changed his routine when he was at least hitting some. He used to dribble four times then shot, now he shots without a dribble. (Changing routines in the middle of a season is usually not good.). I'll worry even more if he starts shooting FTs as jump shot, ala Kenny Dennard.

At this point he could go ful-on Rick Barry and not do much worse. Can we get Lunardi to shoot them instead?

Atldukie79
02-28-2015, 08:12 PM
Quin and Tyus are 2-9
Team shoots 2-8 from the line
Team shoots 2-10 from the floor

Yet we are up 9 at half.
I'll take it.

But it isn't always pretty.

Devilwin
Best first half highlight. Duke students singing 'Jingle Bells" when Christmas shoots fts.lol

DUKEinFW
Should have at least 6 points more with Jag missing a bunny and two poor passes at a the rim to Winslow

BullBlue
02-28-2015, 08:13 PM
Well, Jah about doubled up Christmas on points and rebounds, but Christmas sure has Jah's number on FT defense.

NancyCarol
02-28-2015, 08:17 PM
ararrrrgh the turnovers (and not the delicious blueberry kind)

DUKEinFW
02-28-2015, 08:27 PM
Please give the ball to Jahlil and get the 4th on xmas

rsvman
02-28-2015, 08:39 PM
Cook can barely walk. Should he be in the game?

Tripping William
02-28-2015, 08:40 PM
No more Christmas. The Grinch rejoices.

Karl Beem
02-28-2015, 08:40 PM
Christmas is not merry.

rsvman
02-28-2015, 08:43 PM
I see they quickly pulled Cook.
I hope he's going to be OK

DUKEinFW
02-28-2015, 08:44 PM
Now is the time to get MP3 a touch or 2 down low

arnie
02-28-2015, 08:46 PM
I see they quickly pulled Cook.
I hope he's going to be OK

Minor sprain? At least we see Amile and Matt together.

duketaylor
02-28-2015, 08:59 PM
"At least we see Amile and Matt together." Does that our O anemic, maybe not tonight as Matt's hit some.

Matt does have a knack for finding loose balls which I love and can't be taught.