PDA

View Full Version : WBB: ACC Tourney

Kfanarmy
02-26-2015, 09:24 PM
Looks like Duke will play BC/Wake winner if they can get past UNC Sunday. Otherwise its a rematch with GT...Is that right?

If they exit they ACC tourney in the quarters, which seems reasonable, where would they fit in the NCAA tourney?

Wahoo2000
02-26-2015, 09:28 PM
Looks like Duke will play BC/Wake winner if they can get past UNC Sunday. Otherwise its a rematch with GT...Is that right?

If they exit they ACC tourney in the quarters, which seems reasonable, where would they fit in the NCAA tourney?

Reasonable that Duke goes out in the quarters? LOL

Oh, maybe you're referring to GT being in the NCAA tourney?

...Also LOL

Duvall
02-26-2015, 09:32 PM

...Also LOL

Well, Duke would have to make it *to* the ACC quarterfinals. Probably looking at a second round game against UVa, though a lot of games are left in the last weekend.

Kfanarmy
02-26-2015, 09:36 PM

...Also LOL
Did I misspeak...If I'm understanding seeding, Duke would have to win the first game to get to the quarters...think the quarters game would be against the three or four seed (Louisville or Cuse)....

Duvall
02-26-2015, 09:39 PM
Did I misspeak...If I'm understanding seeding, Duke would have to win the first game to get to the quarters...think the quarters game would be against the three or four seed (Louisville or Cuse)....

Duke will either be the four seed with a win over UNC, and play the 5-12 winner in the quarterfinals, or the six seed with a loss and play the 11 seed in the second round.

Kfanarmy
02-26-2015, 09:44 PM
Duke will either be the four seed with a win over UNC, and play the 5-12 winner in the quarterfinals, or the six seed with a loss and play the 11 seed in the second round.

How would they jump to a four?

Duvall
02-26-2015, 09:45 PM
How would they jump to a four?

Tiebreaker over Syracuse, better record than UNC.

Kfanarmy
02-26-2015, 10:01 PM
Tiebreaker over Syracuse, better record than UNC.

Got it. Thanks!

Wahoo2000
02-26-2015, 10:19 PM
Well, Duke would have to make it *to* the ACC quarterfinals. Probably looking at a second round game against UVa, though a lot of games are left in the last weekend.

I'm illiterate maybe. I missed the reference to WOMEN'S. No wonder nothing at all in this thread made sense to me. Apologies. I honestly thought you were expecting Duke's men to lose their first conf tourney game.... and thus the lol'ing.

Apologies again!

Kfanarmy
02-26-2015, 10:27 PM
I'm illiterate maybe. I missed the reference to WOMEN'S. No wonder nothing at all in this thread made sense to me. Apologies. I honestly thought you were expecting Duke's men to lose their first conf tourney game.... and thus the lol'ing.

Apologies again!

No problem. I probably should have included the ref to WBB in the post.

uh_no
02-26-2015, 10:34 PM
No problem. I probably should have included the ref to WBB in the post.

whose idea was it to make W and M mirror images!

Kfanarmy
02-26-2015, 10:56 PM
whose idea was it to make W and M mirror images!

IDK,but it was brilliant.

killerleft
02-27-2015, 12:53 PM
IDK,but it was brilliant.

But only if you hold the mirror edge just to the top or bottom of the letters, and only then when... uh... uh... never mind, I've confused myself:)!

Let's fill the gym on Sunday, and help the women get that higher seed! It's Senior Day!

Tappan Zee Devil
02-27-2015, 06:20 PM
Let's fill the gym on Sunday, and help the women get that higher seed! It's Senior Day!

Elizabeth, Ka’lia, Jenna and Amber (or will she come back next year?)

All very special in very different ways

Kedsy
02-27-2015, 11:11 PM
Amber (or will she come back next year?)

The Chronicle reported earlier this season that Amber intends to come back next year. Hopefully she will.

CameronBornAndBred
03-01-2015, 09:28 PM
The bracket is listed here. Duke's first game is Friday at 11.

http://www.theacc.com/page/championship_w-baskbl

Kedsy
03-01-2015, 10:30 PM
The Chronicle reported earlier this season that Amber intends to come back next year. Hopefully she will.

The TV announcers for today's game reported that Amber was leaving Duke after graduation, in the hopes of starting her professional basketball career. Not sure the WNBA is in her near-future, but I suppose anything's possible. I still hope she comes back, but good luck to Amber either way. She's been through a lot with all those surgeries.

OldPhiKap
03-01-2015, 10:40 PM
The bracket is listed here. Duke's first game is Friday at 11.

http://www.theacc.com/page/championship_w-baskbl

Nice win today to get to the Friday bye's. Big difference.

Kedsy
03-01-2015, 10:42 PM
Nice win today to get to the Friday bye's. Big difference.

Although now we potentially match up with Notre Dame in the semis, rather than the finals. But I do agree having the double-bye is more important.

OldPhiKap
03-01-2015, 10:44 PM
Although now we potentially match up with Notre Dame in the semis, rather than the finals. But I do agree having the double-bye is more important.

True. But you gotta beat who you gotta beat. Let someone else take a shot at them first.

CameronBornAndBred
03-05-2015, 12:52 PM
This is quickly turning in to a tourney of upsets. Yesterday, only the Yellow Jackets avoided the upset. VT beat State, and Wake beat BC.
Today, (with 3 minutes left), Wake is pretty soundly beating #22 Syracuse. Assuming they don't blow it, Wake will be playing Duke tomorrow at 11.

CameronBornAndBred
03-05-2015, 12:55 PM
This is quickly turning in to a tourney of upsets. Yesterday, only the Yellow Jackets avoided the upset. VT beat State, and Wake beat BC.
Today, (with 3 minutes left), Wake is pretty soundly beating #22 Syracuse. Assuming they don't blow it, Wake will be playing Duke tomorrow at 11.
FYI...Wake is doing their best to blow it...only up 3 with :44 left.

CameronBornAndBred
03-05-2015, 01:03 PM
Wake 85- Syracuse 79. Deacons vs Devils tomorrow. :D

DukieInKansas
03-05-2015, 01:07 PM
Wake 85- Syracuse 79. Deacons vs Devils tomorrow. :D

Is it too much to hope for a women's version of last night? :D

SCMatt33
03-05-2015, 01:09 PM

Well with 2 wins in Greensboro, Wake has matched their regular season win total in the tournament, so it's not a remote possibility.

killerleft
03-05-2015, 02:08 PM

I would be pleased.:) I plan on being there.

Go Duke!!!

burnspbesq
03-05-2015, 08:09 PM
VPI 51, Pitt 45.

Two 19-loss teams in the quarterfinals.

CameronBornAndBred
03-05-2015, 08:20 PM
Beyond crazy. I'm sure they will be prepared, but DWB needs to be on their toes tomorrow, too.

burnspbesq
03-06-2015, 12:01 PM
Duke was very bad at times in the first half against Wake, but they were also very good at times. Hard to argue with the defense: Wake is shooting 19 percent from the floor, led by Hamby's 2-16, and Duke has nine blocked shots. Wake's offensive efficiency is a miserable 0.583 points per possession. Duke has 13 turnovers, mostly unforced, mostly the result of being impatient on offense. Cooper had nine in the first half (two short of her career high).

Lid
03-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Duke was very bad at times in the first half against Wake, but they were also very good at times. Hard to argue with the defense: Wake is shooting 19 percent from the floor, led by Hamby's 2-16, and Duke has nine blocked shots. Wake's offensive efficiency is a miserable 0.583 points per possession. Duke has 13 turnovers, mostly unforced, mostly the result of being impatient on offense. Cooper had nine in the first half (two short of her career high).
I'm unable to watch right now (thanks, ESPN3 blackout!), but was trying to listen on the radio. It sounded like Amber went out quickly with a knee injury -- any update? Fingers crossed that she's okay...

burnspbesq
03-06-2015, 12:24 PM
I'm unable to watch right now (thanks, ESPN3 blackout!), but was trying to listen on the radio. It sounded like Amber went out quickly with a knee injury -- any update? Fingers crossed that she's okay...

Henson is playing with a torn PCL, and apparently sometimes that knee goes a little wonky. She came back after a few minutes in the locker room.

DukieInKansas
03-06-2015, 12:50 PM
At the 4:37 time out - lots of smiling faces on the Duke faces - players and coach. Seems like they are enjoying their lead. :D

burnspbesq
03-06-2015, 01:14 PM
It's a W. Career high 21 points for Kendall. A total of 10 blocks. And for a change, the other guys had more turnovers that we did (21-20).

Other than that ...

killerleft
03-06-2015, 08:40 PM
Typical early round games by both Duke and ND. Duke, especially, will have to play much better (duh!). A good atmosphere was provided by thousands of kids bussed in to the Duke-WF game, even though, in general, they were more interested in free t-shirts than the game.

Game tomorrow is at noon. The Duke contingent was vocal, but we need even more of us there for ND. We can beat them if we take care of the ball.

Duvall
03-06-2015, 10:28 PM
Interesting shot selection by UNC late.

burnspbesq
03-06-2015, 10:34 PM
Interesting shot selection by UNC late.

Sufficiently interesting so that Louisville is able to hold on and win by two in OT.

Kedsy
03-07-2015, 02:14 AM
It's a W. Career high 21 points for Kendall. A total of 10 blocks. And for a change, the other guys had more turnovers that we did (21-20).

Other than that ...

In addition to Kendall's 21 points in 23 minutes, both Azurá (15 and 10) and Elizabeth (11 and 16, with 5 assists and 6 blocks) double-doubled, and Becca had 17 points.

I thought our defense was superb (including 10 blocks and 12 steals).

Ka'lia didn't have great stats, but she's so important -- the team looks totally different (in a good way) when she's on the floor than when she isn't. So it's a bit worrisome that she's been in foul trouble in three of our past four games (including the two recent bad losses).

Here's a weird thing: after shooting 86% from the line for the first 28 games of the season, Becca has gone 8 for 15 from the stripe in our last two games.

Finally, whatever Coach P said or did in the timeout after Wake pulled within 3 points (with just under 12 minutes to play) should be put in a bottle or something. Duke scored the next 9 points and over the 8 minutes following the timeout, we outscored Wake 23-9 to push the lead back up to 17.

Kedsy
03-07-2015, 02:25 AM
One other thing: the announcers said that Amber Henson announced she'll be coming back to play for Duke next season (as a grad student). That's great news. I guess she doesn't mind hanging around the program for at least one more year.

dudog84
03-07-2015, 09:10 AM
One other thing: the announcers said that Amber Henson announced she'll be coming back to play for Duke next season (as a grad student). That's great news. I guess she doesn't mind hanging around the program for at least one more year.

I thought the same thing. I was going to ask the question that if Coach P was so abusive to her players, why in the world is Amber coming back? But I guess I won't get an answer. We know the naysayers never post after a win.

I'm excited about today's game. We only lost by 13 at Notre Dame, and Becca had just 4 points. And only 2 points from Kendall, who seems to be figuring it out (how great is that, watching her progress?). We had just lost Oderah a couple of games earlier and were still adjusting.

Neutral court, this team has been playing together better lately, they know what they have...I like our chances. I think Kalia is the key.

jv001
03-07-2015, 09:49 AM
I thought the same thing. I was going to ask the question that if Coach P was so abusive to her players, why in the world is Amber coming back? But I guess I won't get an answer. We know the naysayers never post after a win.
I'm excited about today's game. We only lost by 13 at Notre Dame, and Becca had just 4 points. And only 2 points from Kendall, who seems to be figuring it out (how great is that, watching her progress?). We had just lost Oderah a couple of games earlier and were still adjusting.

Neutral court, this team has been playing together better lately, they know what they have...I like our chances. I think Kalia is the key.

Pleaseeeeeeee don't get the same old arguments started over, who likes P and who doesn't like P. It's good to have a sane discussion about Women's BB. God bless. GoDuke!

chrishoke
03-07-2015, 10:07 AM
In addition to Kendall's 21 points in 23 minutes, both Azurá (15 and 10) and Elizabeth (11 and 16, with 5 assists and 6 blocks) double-doubled, and Becca had 17 points.

Ka'lia didn't have great stats, but she's so important -- the team looks totally different (in a good way) when she's on the floor than when she isn't. So it's a bit worrisome that she's been in foul trouble in three of our past four games (including the two recent bad losses).

Here's a weird thing: after shooting 86% from the line for the first 28 games of the season, Becca has gone 8 for 15 from the stripe in our last two games.

Finally, whatever Coach P said or did in the timeout after Wake pulled within 3 points (with just under 12 minutes to play) should be put in a bottle or something. Duke scored the next 9 points and over the 8 minutes following the timeout, we outscored Wake 23-9 to push the lead back up to 17.

Well, for one thing, she switched to a 3 x 2 zone which effectively cut off or managed WF's guard penetration off a top of the key screen - a WF 2nd half adjustment that was very effective until thre counter move.

killerleft
03-07-2015, 10:33 AM

Yes! Excellent news. It is obvious that she is a big asset to the team.

burnspbesq
03-07-2015, 10:38 AM

Defense was superb in the first half. Second half, wake shot 53 percent from the floor and scored 47 points

Kedsy
03-07-2015, 11:00 AM
Defense was superb in the first half. Second half, wake shot 53 percent from the floor and scored 47 points

Yeah, but Wake's second half offense was almost all in that one run that brought the lead to 3 (well that and the last three minutes when Elizabeth, Azurá, and Amber were all on the bench). Overall, our D wasn't nearly as bad in the second half as the numbers make it look.

chrishoke
03-07-2015, 11:02 AM
Burn, part of that was the whole team was in foul trouble at the half and understandably was less aggressive in the 2nd half, particularly after they built the lead back up to 15 and the game was effectively over. I was very impressed with Wake's consistently high effort throughout the game.

killerleft
03-07-2015, 11:11 AM
I think we can play with Notre Dame. Even if we do, though, we'll be fighting fatigue at the end. May the Irish have a less-than-stellar game from behind the arc!

tieguy
03-07-2015, 12:27 PM
"I think we can play with Notre Dame"
Don't know whether to laugh or cry. This offense is sooooo painful to watch. I know part of it is the lack of depth at guard, but oy....

[For those not watching, at the 8 minute TV timeout (6:50 left in the half, to be precise), we have 9 points on something like 4/21 shooting. Needless to say, we're on pace for another 20+ point beatdown.]

~tieguy

uh_no
03-07-2015, 12:29 PM
I think we can play with Notre Dame. Even if we do, though, we'll be fighting fatigue at the end. May the Irish have a less-than-stellar game from behind the arc!

7 points in 13 minutes.

The game is not out of hand yet due to some great defense. I'm hopeful, but not particularly optimistic.

killerleft
03-07-2015, 12:48 PM

killerleft, you ignorant nut!:) Well, if we can continue the excellent shooting, we'll be back in it in no time!

Bob Green
03-07-2015, 12:52 PM
We are 7-27 from the field including 0-7 on 3-pointers. Some shots are going to have to start falling for us to have a chance to claw back into this game.

uh_no
03-07-2015, 01:09 PM
We are 7-27 from the field including 0-7 on 3-pointers. Some shots are going to have to start falling for us to have a chance to claw back into this game.

especially if we continue to play really really good defense.

killerleft
03-07-2015, 01:11 PM
This pitiful shooting and horrible defense amazes me. 23-30 and the ball somehow.

uh_no
03-07-2015, 01:16 PM
This pitiful shooting and horrible defense amazes me. 23-30 and the ball somehow.

who's playing horrible defense? neither team can get their shot.

killerleft
03-07-2015, 01:22 PM
Reverse psychology not working. Go Duke!

killerleft
03-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Still in it, but dang, we need to get hot from the field. We're missing a golden chance here.

DU82
03-07-2015, 01:37 PM
Nice response to the box and one on Rebecca, only down 5 with a little over 5 to go.

tieguy
03-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Cut it to 5. I suspect this is just an elaborate plan to ruin my morning, but hey, I'll take it...

killerleft
03-07-2015, 01:42 PM
Fighting hard, Liz with four fouls now...

tieguy
03-07-2015, 01:49 PM
Sigh. Gritty, at least, unlike a lot of our recent games against top teams. :/

uh_no
03-07-2015, 01:53 PM

holding one of the top offenses in the country to but 55 points is a real accomplishment.

killerleft
03-07-2015, 02:02 PM

Yep. Becca's missed three would have been large if she'd hit it. But she played so hard, just like the rest of the team. Our defense was excellent, but Loyd was clutch for ND.

Too bad the shooting wasn't there today. Sigh. But the Irish played very good defense, too.

DU82
03-07-2015, 02:03 PM
holding one of the top offenses in the country to but 55 points is a real accomplishment.

No answer for Jewell Loyd, unfortunately. (Not that there's many teams out there that do.)

uh_no
03-07-2015, 02:04 PM
Yep. Becca's missed three would have been large if she'd hit it. But she played so hard, just like the rest of the team. Our defense was excellent, but Lloyd was clutch for ND.

Too bad the shooting wasn't there today. Sigh. But the Irish played very good defense, too.

If you're talking about the one with 1:50 left down 4, i think, it wasn't a good shot. it was off the dribble, off balance, and closely guarded....you gotta have patience. A "flair for the dramatic" might be great when it works, but overall, it's not a high percentage conversion.

You see it all the time when after an opponent makes a big three, the other team will so often come down and jack a three come hell or high water to try to get those points back....whether it's a good shot or not. (it's usually not)

Duvall
03-07-2015, 02:05 PM

This team surely does not lack for grit.

DU82
03-07-2015, 02:08 PM
If you're talking about the one with 1:50 left down 4, i think, it wasn't a good shot. it was off the dribble, off balance, and closely guarded....you gotta have patience. A "flair for the dramatic" might be great when it works, but overall, it's not a high percentage conversion.

You see it all the time when after an opponent makes a big three, the other team will so often come down and jack a three come hell or high water to try to get those points back....whether it's a good shot or not. (it's usually not)

Well, she had just made an almost identical shot. But she's normally better off a pass than a dribble.

dudog84
03-07-2015, 02:16 PM
Good try ladies. A couple more lay-ups made, a tie game in the last 4 minutes, and maybe it goes our way. Win 2 games at Cameron and we should be playing in Greensboro again. Charlie Crème (ESPN Bracketologist) currently has UNC in the Greensboro region, but I don't see how considering we swept them.

Notre Dame better enjoy it while they can. I think we take them the next few years.

killerleft
03-07-2015, 02:34 PM

I don't disagree, but for once somebody for us was actually 'feelin' it' on an outside shot. I just re-looked and it wasn't unlike many she has made this year. Came off a screen, had a good look, was drifting a bit...

aswewere
03-07-2015, 06:44 PM
ND & Duke Coach P one guard was the difference. Press conferences. http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209933198&DB_OEM_ID=4200