PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the Top 25

Bob Green
02-26-2015, 01:06 PM
With the NCAA Tournament fastly approaching, I believe it is appropriate to have a thread to discuss important non-ACC games so I threw together a "This Week in the Top 25" thread like I've done past seasons. There might even be a couple of Mid-Major games available to pay attention to.

Northern Iowa (10) at Witicha State (11): the Panthers and the Shockers are 16-1 tied atop the Missouri Valley Conference standings. UNI won the first meeting 70-54 in Cedar Falls. I recall Northern Iowa knocking off Kansas in the NCAAT a few years ago and Witicha State was a #1 Seed last year so this is a match-up between two quality teams which should make some noise during March Madness. As Throatybeard has pointed out a couple of times in recent seasons, the MVC Tournament is an exciting affair. Is a rubber match in the making?

Dayton at VCU (22): there are four teams tied atop the Atlantic 10 Conference with the Rams and the Flyers being two of them. This is an important conference game for both teams and a must win game for Shaka Smart's VCU Rams if they desire to remain in the Top 25.

Arkansas (18) at Kentucky (1): can the Razorbacks upset the undefeated Wildcats? I doubt it but it would be awesome. Would a Kentucky loss put a big dent in their swagger? Or would it serve as motivation for the Wildcats to refocus their efforts?

West Virginia (20) at Baylor (19): Baylor won by 18 points in Morgantown. Can West Virginia go to Waco and pull off the upset?

Arizona (7) at Utah (13): the Arizona Wildcats are still in the conversation for a #1 Seed but they need to both keep winning and get some help. A Utah victory would certainly help the other bubble #1 Seed teams such as Villanova.

BYU at Gonzaga (3): the Zags are in the conversation for a #1 Seed but they have absolutely no room for error due to the weak schedule they have played. A BYU victory would be very much appreciated by teams such as Villanova and Arizona.

Boise St at San Diego St (24): the Broncos defeated the Aztecs by 15 points in Boise. Can they do it again in the rematch in sunny San Diego? I had to throw the sunny San Diego comment out there seeing as I just finished shoveling snow.

Okay DBR, I know there are posters out there who know about these teams than I do so I am challenging you all to jumpstart the conversation in this thread. I'm sure there are other games on the schedule with NCAAT implications so I invite anyone and everyone to join in and post about teams and games, which interest you.

Let's talk some basketball!

-jk
02-26-2015, 06:09 PM
"Northern Iowa (10) at Witicha State (11)" - should be an awesome game! 2 or 3 (or maybe 4) on the line

"West Virginia (20) at Baylor (19)" - another good one. 4 or 5 or 6 out there.

-jk

Tripping William
02-26-2015, 06:45 PM
BYU at Gonzaga (3): the Zags are in the conversation for a #1 Seed but they have absolutely no room for error due to the weak schedule they have played. A BYU victory would be very much appreciated by teams such as Villanova and Arizona.

Yeah, BYU is not winning in Spokane. It is just one of those things but, over the course of 40+ years (maybe more), and multiple coaching regimes, BYU historically struggles on the road, especially against good teams. I predict Gonzaga by 8123 points . . . . just 'cause. (No, Kedsy, I'm not taking your bet.)

Duvall
02-26-2015, 11:30 PM
Hey, you know who is pretty good? Utah.

Tom B.
02-27-2015, 09:25 AM
Dayton at VCU (22): there are four teams tied atop the Atlantic 10 Conference with the Rams and the Flyers being two of them. This is an important conference game for both teams and a must win game for Shaka Smart's VCU Rams if they desire to remain in the Top 25.

VCU hasn't been the same team since senior guard Briante Weber's knee exploded in a January 31 loss to crosstown rival University of Richmond. At the time, Weber was leading the team in assists and steals, and was third in scoring -- in fact, he still has more assists and steals than anyone else on the team, even though he hasn't played in nearly a month.

VCU also was without senior G/F Treveon Graham (the team's leading scorer and rebounder) for a couple of games recently, due to a sprained ankle.

Since Weber went down, VCU is just 4-3 (4-4 if you count the game against Richmond in which Weber was injured). Two of those losses -- against LaSalle and St. Bonaventure -- came when Graham was also hurt. After Graham returned to the lineup, VCU ran off three straight wins, but then lost to Richmond for a second time this year in its most recent game. So, the Rams remain something of a question mark. They're better now that Graham is back in the lineup, but they're also still not where they were before they lost Weber for the season.

Bob Green
02-27-2015, 03:37 PM
This article talks about many of the games listed in this thread including UNI at Wichita State, West Virginia at Baylor, Arizona at Utah and Arkansas at Kentucky:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/dailyword150227/daily-word

Bob Green
02-28-2015, 03:12 PM
Villanova, a team who started the day still in the #1 Seed conversation, is down seven to Xavier on the road, early in the 2nd half. Wichita State is up double digits on UNI.

Bob Green
02-28-2015, 04:57 PM
Villanova 78, Xavier 66.
Wichita St 74, UNI 60
Dayton 59, VCU 55 (say goodbye to the Top 25)

Baylor is up big on West Virginia at the half and Kentucky is smacking Arkansas around.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-28-2015, 05:03 PM
By the way, watching UK... yet another arena that plays Zombie Nation. I noticed the VT students chanting it the other day too. Is there are more over-played, annoying song in all of sports?

OldPhiKap
02-28-2015, 05:08 PM
By the way, watching UK... yet another arena that plays Zombie Nation. I noticed the VT students chanting it the other day too. Is there are more over-played, annoying song in all of sports?

Rocky Top. Tennessee football games are unbearable.

-jk
02-28-2015, 05:19 PM
Go Deacs! (I knew a guy in the WF pep band. Apparently the scorers' table has a button. Press it and the band must play Go Deacs!)

And that unc song they play incessantly. We counted at the ACC tourney once - 8 times before their first game started.

-jk

Tripping William
02-28-2015, 05:32 PM
Rocky Top. Tennessee football games are unbearable.

I was at the 2011 Big Dance games in Charlotte when Tennessee played Michigan. The alternating combo of Rocky Top and Hail to the Victors was almost more than my sanity could withstand.

DU82
02-28-2015, 05:34 PM
Go Deacs! (I knew a guy in the WF pep band. Apparently the scorers' table has a button. Press it and the band must play Go Deacs!)

And that unc song they play incessantly. We counted at the ACC tourney once - 8 times before their first game started.

-jk

I believe it ended up at 42 times during one of the games we went to at the DESSAC.

Not to mention "Jesus Loves the Little Children" and the Cornell alma mater.

arnie
02-28-2015, 09:16 PM
Might be my TV, but watching AZ-Utah appears 10 on 0. Little jersey contrast.

brevity
02-28-2015, 09:18 PM
Might be my TV, but watching AZ-Utah appears 10 on 0. Little jersey contrast.

What are you talking about? One team's uniforms are white and gold. The other team's are blue and black.

arnie
02-28-2015, 09:25 PM
What are you talking about? One team's uniforms are white and gold. The other team's are blue and black.

HaHa. I'll wake up the wife and see if she sees a gold dress

bbosbbos
02-28-2015, 09:37 PM
Zona is playing very solid D. Scary.

Bob Green
03-01-2015, 07:09 AM
Yeah, BYU is not winning in Spokane...I predict Gonzaga by 8123 points . . . . just 'cause.

Gonzaga can say goodbye to a #1 Seed with their loss to BYU.

Tripping William
03-01-2015, 07:59 AM
Gonzaga can say goodbye to a #1 Seed with their loss to BYU.

Exceedingly happy to be wrong about that and an object lesson for the board . . . . .