PDA

View Full Version : Scouting report on Quinn

DukieinSoCal
02-25-2015, 01:27 PM
I was just wondering if anyone had read this article and had thoughts to share: http://www.dukeblogger.com/comarows-corner-duke-scouting-report-quinn-cook/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dukeblogger%2FYxgD+%28Dukeblo gger%29

Admittedly, I don't know anything about the writer or how qualified he is to write up a scouting report but I thought he gave a pretty balanced, objective evaluation of Quinn's game. I find it hard to argue with any of the points he makes, both positive and negative. And after 4 years, I wonder if it's really possible for Quinn to change much about his game. I still can't help but notice the body language and seeming lack of hustle from Quinn after a miss or bad play. It surprises me that this persists despite years of coaching and what seems to be very solid character and desire to improve and be coached. Hopefully, it doesn't cost us in a critical game. I would love to see us win multiple championships this year with Quinn leading the way. Go Duke!

FerryFor50
02-25-2015, 02:43 PM
I was just wondering if anyone had read this article and had thoughts to share: http://www.dukeblogger.com/comarows-corner-duke-scouting-report-quinn-cook/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dukeblogger%2FYxgD+%28Dukeblo gger%29

Admittedly, I don't know anything about the writer or how qualified he is to write up a scouting report but I thought he gave a pretty balanced, objective evaluation of Quinn's game. I find it hard to argue with any of the points he makes, both positive and negative. And after 4 years, I wonder if it's really possible for Quinn to change much about his game. I still can't help but notice the body language and seeming lack of hustle from Quinn after a miss or bad play. It surprises me that this persists despite years of coaching and what seems to be very solid character and desire to improve and be coached. Hopefully, it doesn't cost us in a critical game. I would love to see us win multiple championships this year with Quinn leading the way. Go Duke!

I think he's really curbed the body language stuff this season.

That said, the rest of the scouting is spot on, with a lot of it being stuff I've thought/mentioned here.

They did leave out his superb assist to turnover ratio, however, which is a part of his good decision making.

Also, his on-ball defense has improved a bit the past few weeks.

Mike Corey
02-25-2015, 02:55 PM
Quinn Cook's evolution from his first days on campus to the present day has been absolutely awesome to watch.

I will speak out of turn and say, stories like Quinn Cook's are the reason Coach K loves what he does.

11 years ago, when Coach was entertaining the Lakers' then-attractive over, Associate AD Chris Kennedy said, "What [Coach] loves most—it’s not beating people—it’s taking an 18-year old kid and producing a 22-year old man."

That's happened with Quinn Cook.

And the results are very clear with the campaign he's having.

jv001
02-25-2015, 03:16 PM
I can't put into words just how proud I am of Quinn Cook. He's improved his defense and taken to the 2 guard position better than I ever expected. As for the scouting report, most of it is spot on. Quinn's positives far out weigh his negatives this season. There are some hanging of the head moments but I think those come from being too hard on himself when he misses a shot. The reporter did single out something that I've seen in some games. There are a few times Quinn doesn't hustle back down court. Most of those instances are when he thinks he was fouled and stares down the ref for not calling said foul. But he's not the only one that's been guilty of this. Justise, Jahlil, Amile and Matt have done it as well. But in all fairness to those guys, most of the time they were right. GoDuke!

Henderson
02-25-2015, 03:27 PM
I couldn't be happier with Quinn this season. Despite any weakness he exhibits, if he were just 3 inches taller, the NBA would be sending holiday cards.

pamtar
02-25-2015, 04:10 PM
I wouldn't worry about his NBA potential. After we win the National Championship and QC gets final four MOP everyone is gonna be comparing him to Napier and Kemba Walker. He'll go late first round...

flyingdutchdevil
02-25-2015, 04:20 PM
I couldn't be happier with Quinn this season. Despite any weakness he exhibits, if he were just 3 inches taller, the NBA would be sending holiday cards.

I bet a buddy that Quinn will be an 8-year NBA veteran. And I don't think I'll be wrong.

Quinn is everything you want in a back-up NBA PG: protects the ball, strong 3pt shooter, opportunistic shooter, and good distributor. He's not going to be a Curry or an Irving or a Rose, but if Matthew Dellavedova can be the back-up PG on a title contender, so can Quinn Cook.

Henderson
02-25-2015, 04:31 PM
I bet a buddy that Quinn will be an 8-year NBA veteran. And I don't think I'll be wrong.

Quinn is everything you want in a back-up NBA PG: protects the ball, strong 3pt shooter, opportunistic shooter, and good distributor. He's not going to be a Curry or an Irving or a Rose, but if Matthew Dellavedova can be the back-up PG on a title contender, so can Quinn Cook.

That'd be a beautiful thing. It would have seemed much less likely a year ago. A testament to the things he's been doing this year. Go Captain Quinn. Bring it home. THE senior captain.

Duke76
02-25-2015, 04:47 PM
That'd be a beautiful thing. It would have seemed much less likely a year ago. A testament to the things he's been doing this year. Go Captain Quinn. Bring it home. THE senior captain.

ditto on all these positive posts about Quinn....I absolutely hated his body language....I absolutely love his body language this year and his maturity, his closeness to Coach K is clearly evident. I am not sure there is another Duke star who has transformed himself so positively as Quinn. He should be very proud of his growth.

NYBri
02-25-2015, 05:08 PM
Quinn Cook's evolution from his first days on campus to the present day has been absolutely awesome to watch.

I will speak out of turn and say, stories like Quinn Cook's are the reason Coach K loves what he does.

11 years ago, when Coach was entertaining the Lakers' then-attractive over, Associate AD Chris Kennedy said, "What [Coach] loves most—it’s not beating people—it’s taking an 18-year old kid and producing a 22-year old man."

That's happened with Quinn Cook.

And the results are very clear with the campaign he's having.

Not as easy now in the age of OADs. It's what I miss most about college basketball...watching kids with great talent learn to become great players and great young men. See Shane and Grant as examples...now Quinn. We won't get that pleasure with Okafor, Jones or Winslow. Too bad.

DukieInBrasil
02-25-2015, 05:30 PM

While i'd like to see this happen, if this is true then why isn't Seth Curry in the NBA rather than D-League? Granted, Seth is not as quick nor as strong withe ball as Quinn, but he is a much better shooter and can get better shots all over the floor, not just from 3. Seems to me that Seth's strengths would balance out his weaknesses when comparing the two.
However, i think the more salient comparison is Nolan Smith, who was/is better off the dribble, a comparable shooter from 3 and just as good a playmaker as Quinn. Nolan had very limited success in the NBA, and hasn't been able to break back in after a stint overseas and now in the D-League.

flyingdutchdevil
02-25-2015, 06:37 PM
While i'd like to see this happen, if this is true then why isn't Seth Curry in the NBA rather than D-League? Granted, Seth is not as quick nor as strong withe ball as Quinn, but he is a much better shooter and can get better shots all over the floor, not just from 3. Seems to me that Seth's strengths would balance out his weaknesses when comparing the two.
However, i think the more salient comparison is Nolan Smith, who was/is better off the dribble, a comparable shooter from 3 and just as good a playmaker as Quinn. Nolan had very limited success in the NBA, and hasn't been able to break back in after a stint overseas and now in the D-League.

You are completely underestimating Quinn's abilities as a playmaker. Quinn's assists and playmaking are underwhelming this year because he is rarely the lead 1. Tyus has those responsibilities, but Quinn can certainly take over. He's not as good, but still very competent. Quinn is shooting an amazing 41% from the 3 this season, which is only 3% less than Seth as a senior at Duke. Don't get me wrong - Seth is a fantastic scorer, but Cook isn't that bad.

And Nolan Smith was a college 2, through and through. He did a really solid job of playing the 1 when Kyrie went down (and subsequently raised his stock), but he's not a natural 1. Quinn is.

To sum up, between Nolan, Seth, and Quinn, Quinn is by far the best playmaker and doesn't turn the ball over. Of all the Duke players who graduated from Duke, Quinn Cook will most likely have the best assist-to-turnover ratio. Think about that. That's amazing. Secondly, Quinn isn't quite the scorer that Seth and Nolan were, but he is a great 3pt shooter when open. He's never going to be asked to be a primary scorer on the second team but rather a role player who doesn't make mistakes. Lastly, on D, Nolan is by far the best of the trio. Seth is, IMO, by far the biggest liability. Quinn has showed that he can keep players in check, like other back-up NBA PGs (Marcus Paige, anyone?).

Mike Corey
02-26-2015, 05:07 PM
Just saw a stat that Cook has played 209 of Duke's past 210 minutes. Incredible.

NovaScotian
02-26-2015, 05:27 PM
You are completely underestimating Quinn's abilities as a playmaker. Quinn's assists and playmaking are underwhelming this year because he is rarely the lead 1. Tyus has those responsibilities, but Quinn can certainly take over. He's not as good, but still very competent. Quinn is shooting an amazing 41% from the 3 this season, which is only 3% less than Seth as a senior at Duke. Don't get me wrong - Seth is a fantastic scorer, but Cook isn't that bad.

And Nolan Smith was a college 2, through and through. He did a really solid job of playing the 1 when Kyrie went down (and subsequently raised his stock), but he's not a natural 1. Quinn is.

To sum up, between Nolan, Seth, and Quinn, Quinn is by far the best playmaker and doesn't turn the ball over. Of all the Duke players who graduated from Duke, Quinn Cook will most likely have the best assist-to-turnover ratio. Think about that. That's amazing. Secondly, Quinn isn't quite the scorer that Seth and Nolan were, but he is a great 3pt shooter when open. He's never going to be asked to be a primary scorer on the second team but rather a role player who doesn't make mistakes. Lastly, on D, Nolan is by far the best of the trio. Seth is, IMO, by far the biggest liability. Quinn has showed that he can keep players in check, like other back-up NBA PGs (Marcus Paige, anyone?).

For the self proclaimed President of the Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey Jetired movement, it surprises me how you are underpaying Nolan here. While I'm as pleased as anyone over Quinn's improvement (specifically his maturity, which was much of what was holding him back), he's still not at the level of player that Nolan was his senior year. Quinn is the emotional backbone of our team, has been smarter with the ball and shot the hell out it, but Nolan during his senior year was simply sensational. Nolan was impossible to guard, on the break or in a half court set, and he singlehandedly took over games on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong, I love qc, but even he would agree that his big bro was superior.

Henderson
02-26-2015, 05:37 PM
Just saw a stat that Cook has played 209 of Duke's past 210 minutes. Incredible.

Well I hope they docked his meal allowance by 1/210th. This ain't a charity for shirkers.

Des Esseintes
02-26-2015, 10:20 PM
For the self proclaimed President of the Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey Jetired movement, it surprises me how you are underpaying Nolan here. While I'm as pleased as anyone over Quinn's improvement (specifically his maturity, which was much of what was holding him back), he's still not at the level of player that Nolan was his senior year. Quinn is the emotional backbone of our team, has been smarter with the ball and shot the hell out it, but Nolan during his senior year was simply sensational. Nolan was impossible to guard, on the break or in a half court set, and he singlehandedly took over games on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong, I love qc, but even he would agree that his big bro was superior.
Yeah, Smith was a NPOY candidate. He did everything. You cannot much compare the two. Which is to take nothing from Quinn's strong season. It's just that Nolan's senior year was very, very special.

DukieInBrasil
02-27-2015, 11:13 AM

I disagree with the bolded part b/c when Quinn was entrusted withe lead playmaking responsibilities last year he didn't really excel at it. He is exceptionally good withe ball and i am equally impressed that he will probably graduate from Duke withe all-time best A/TO at Duke. That doesn't equate to him being a good playmaker. He is a good passer and he is strong withe ball, but he has had trouble withe creativity part of being the PG.
I have been very impressed withe clutchness of his shooting, and particularly he 3FG shooting this year, but i would hesitate to put him at the same level as Seth from 3, partly b/c Seth played his Sr. injured and it's impossible to know how that affected his shooting. Seth is shooting otherworldly from 3 in the D-League.
As others have mentioned, Nolan Smith was just at a different level particularly his Sr. year, both offensively and defensively, and you're right, he's not a natural PG, but he was/is dangerous off the dribble, and i would say more dangerous than Quinn.
Like i said, i would love to see Quinn in the NBA, and i think that both Nolan and Seth have NBA level skills, but neither of them have been able to stay in the NBA so far. Perhaps Quinn breaks thru and achieves a higher level of play than his already excellent play this year. Perhaps some NBA GM takes a gamble on Quinn that lands him in the right spot at the right time for a chance to play in the NBA for years. The fact that neither Seth nor Nolan have been able to do so doesn't give me much optimism that Quinn's chances are much better.

jv001
02-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Yeah, Smith was a NPOY candidate. He did everything. You cannot much compare the two. Which is to take nothing from Quinn's strong season. It's just that Nolan's senior year was very, very special.

That it was. Nolan's senior year was fantastic. Like you say, you can't compare Quinn with Nolan. Nolan was a much better on the ball defender and could play both 1 & 2 without drop off. Quinn on the other hand is made for the 2 guard spot. I know about his assist to turnover ratio, but Quinn had a hard time being a pass first guard. I think most of this was mental and not physical. I'm not taking anything away from Quinn, as he's having a great senior year. He might even be our MVP. As for those posts wondering why Nolan and Seth have not been able to make an NBA team, I think the NBA GMs look for the tall rangy guards or the very quick good shooting guards. The Stephen Currys don't come around very often. GoDuke!

BleedsDarkBlue
02-27-2015, 12:01 PM
While people marvel at what an amazing transformation Quinn has made, I cannot help but remind everyone that this type of joy is what we are robbed of by not having players go through the program for four years.

Josh Hariston made similar strides, Brian Zoubek, Nolan Smith, Jon Scheyer.......we used to watch players come in and grow as players and as people. Maybe I am just old school (im 30 yrs old btw) and I just despise the one- and done game we have created.

I don't know what the solution might be, but I miss having a team full of juniors and seniors.

flyingdutchdevil
02-27-2015, 12:02 PM

I'm not disagreeing that Nolan was the best of the bunch. He absolutely was. But I'm arguing Quinn's validity as a back-up NBA PG, not a potential starter like Nolan Smith. Nolan did everything good - and some great - in college. In the NBA, Nolan was mediocre at nearly everything but defense. Quinn, however, is great at two things in college: protecting the ball and 3pt shooting. He is, IMO, a very good distributor, albeit a non-risk taker on that end (which explains the high assist-to-turnover ratio). For this reason, I think Quinn will be considered a back-up PG from day 1 and excel at it. He's never going to be considered a starter, nor should he. But, as a back-up PG, he can excel at guiding the second unit with excellent ball protection and 3pt shooting.

Again, Quinn is a few notches below Nolan in my book, but Quinn will enter the league with the perception as a back-up PG. And I think he'll back a solid back-up PG.

jv001
02-27-2015, 12:08 PM
I'm not disagreeing that Nolan was the best of the bunch. He absolutely was. But I'm arguing Quinn's validity as a back-up NBA PG, not a potential starter like Nolan Smith. Nolan did everything good - and some great - in college. In the NBA, Nolan was mediocre at nearly everything but defense. Quinn, however, is great at two things in college: protecting the ball and 3pt shooting. He is, IMO, a very good distributor, albeit a non-risk taker on that end (which explains the high assist-to-turnover ratio). For this reason, I think Quinn will be considered a back-up PG from day 1 and excel at it. He's never going to be considered a starter, nor should he. But, as a back-up PG, he can excel at guiding the second unit with excellent ball protection and 3pt shooting.

Again, Quinn is a few notches below Nolan in my book, but Quinn will enter the league with the perception as a back-up PG. And I think he'll back a solid back-up PG.

And if Quinn doesn't make it in the NBA, I see Quinn being a very good coach one day. GoDuke!

flyingdutchdevil
02-27-2015, 12:30 PM
...but here's a great article on the best Second Bananas in the NCAA. And Quinn is named the captain: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/titus-ncaa-college-basketball-second-bananas-quinn-cook-duke-sam-dekker-wisconsin-pat-connaughton-notre-dame-brandon-taylor-utah-kyle-collinsworth-brigham-young/

Pretty funny and very accurate. Mark Titus is a well-known Duke hater, but he respects solid play, and he really likes Quinn Cook. Worth a look at.