PDA

View Full Version : Calipari interview

nocilla
02-25-2015, 08:58 AM
I was listening to College Sports Nation yesterday with Mark Packer and Tom Brennan as they interviewed John Calipari. I'm not aware of any audio of it or I would link it. They discussed several things but there were two topics that grabbed my attention.

Firstly, they asked him about Coach K. Calipari was very complimentary of Coach K. He said he thought a lot of him and Coach K was aware of how he felt. They asked about his 1000 wins and he said he could care less (literally?) about the wins, but he looked at the kids that he was effecting. He then brought up how improved Derrick Rose and Anthony Davis were coming out of their USA basketball experience. Along with Cousins who he says he told Coach K that if he kept him on the roster he would be getting a warrior and a he would have abetter attitude than his critics claim. Overall, it seemed like he appreciated what Coach K does and he was very happy with how Coach K treated his (Calipari's) kids.

The other topic that grabbed me was when they asked him about his goals for the year. The host said how you set goals to win the conference regular season, the tournament, and then the NCAAs, but did you ever discuss just winning every game as a goal. Calipari's response was that they had him all wrong. His number one goal at the beginning of the season, and he reminded his team of this just the other day, was to get get 8 guys drafted this year. His main goal was not about winning games but improving the players to the point that they get drafted.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
02-25-2015, 09:18 AM
Sweet another Kentucky Thread, I was starting to wonder if we just didn't care anymore ;)

Billy Dat
02-25-2015, 10:47 AM
I was listening to College Sports Nation yesterday with Mark Packer and Tom Brennan as they interviewed John Calipari. I'm not aware of any audio of it or I would link it. They discussed several things but there were two topics that grabbed my attention.

Firstly, they asked him about Coach K. Calipari was very complimentary of Coach K. He said he thought a lot of him and Coach K was aware of how he felt. They asked about his 1000 wins and he said he could care less (literally?) about the wins, but he looked at the kids that he was effecting. He then brought up how improved Derrick Rose and Anthony Davis were coming out of their USA basketball experience. Along with Cousins who he says he told Coach K that if he kept him on the roster he would be getting a warrior and a he would have abetter attitude than his critics claim. Overall, it seemed like he appreciated what Coach K does and he was very happy with how Coach K treated his (Calipari's) kids.

The other topic that grabbed me was when they asked him about his goals for the year. The host said how you set goals to win the conference regular season, the tournament, and then the NCAAs, but did you ever discuss just winning every game as a goal. Calipari's response was that they had him all wrong. His number one goal at the beginning of the season, and he reminded his team of this just the other day, was to get get 8 guys drafted this year. His main goal was not about winning games but improving the players to the point that they get drafted.

I like hearing this stuff so thanks for passing it along. From the outside with no real understanding, I think once Cal ascended to the top of the sport, he and K have become closer. K always talks about how people in the rare air of their fields lack peers and mentors they can talk to, and I am guessing that he and Cal have more in common then they used to. As for the goals, he gets the talent because he talks about prepping them for the NBA as goal number 1, and the talent is why his program is currently at the top of college bball, so that speech aint changing.

Lar77
02-25-2015, 11:16 AM
I like hearing this stuff so thanks for passing it along. From the outside with no real understanding, I think once Cal ascended to the top of the sport, he and K have become closer. K always talks about how people in the rare air of their fields lack peers and mentors they can talk to, and I am guessing that he and Cal have more in common then they used to. As for the goals, he gets the talent because he talks about prepping them for the NBA as goal number 1, and the talent is why his program is currently at the top of college bball, so that speech aint changing.

I heard parts of the interview, including the goals part. I can see why he recruits well and gets his players to buy in. In its way, it is straightforward and appealing. However, as a Duke fan, I am happier that our coach has chosen to build our program with different goals.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
02-25-2015, 11:55 AM
By the way, if he gets 8 players drafted, how the heck does he plan on fielding a team next season?

Henderson
02-25-2015, 12:03 PM
The obvious reaction: At least Calipari is being honest.

And writing a sentence containing the words, "Cal" and "honest" has given me the creeps. Time for a shower.

flyingdutchdevil
02-25-2015, 12:19 PM
Daniel Orton, a former Calipari UK player, was released by his team in the Philippines. Why? Well, you don't criticize a national hero!

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12379012/daniel-orton-released-fined-philippine-basketball-association-taking-verbal-jab-manny-pacquiao

AIRFORCEDUKIE
02-25-2015, 12:23 PM
Daniel Orton, a former Calipari UK player, was released by his team in the Philippines. Why? Well, you don't criticize a national hero!

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12379012/daniel-orton-released-fined-philippine-basketball-association-taking-verbal-jab-manny-pacquiao

too funny, favorite comment below the article

"When keeping it real goes wrong"

snowdenscold
02-25-2015, 01:49 PM

"Everyone is angry at him," Hotshots top administrator Rene Pardo told Philippine reporters. "It is like he went to the United States and insulted the name of Martin Luther King."
Priceless.

Hopefully he doesn't criticize Lea Salonga on his way out or they might throw him in jail ;)

flyingdutchdevil
02-25-2015, 01:51 PM
Priceless.

Hopefully he doesn't criticize Lea Salonga on his way out or they might throw him in jail ;)

I'm half Filipino, and the one rule is you don't criticize a future President of the Philippines (and yes, Manny will absolutely be a future Filipino president. You gotta love politics in the developing world!)

Henderson
02-25-2015, 02:16 PM
I'm half Filipino, and the one rule is you don't criticize a future President of the Philippines (and yes, Manny will absolutely be a future Filipino president. You gotta love politics in the developing world!)

Especially considering how much his brand is worth financially and what he's done with that brand to help folks at home. Bad idea for an outsider to go hunting another man's golden goose on that man's turf.

Troublemaker
02-25-2015, 02:32 PM

Haha, youtube highlights of Pacquiao playing basketball here:

http://youtu.be/6XXNWVJWAyA?t=1m23s

Long story short, Orton is right

flyingdutchdevil
02-25-2015, 02:39 PM

Pun intended? ;)

Henderson
02-25-2015, 02:39 PM

Of that there can be no doubt.

But if I were the owner of a lesser sports team struggling for revenue and [pick your favorite supermodel here] offered to coach and play for the team in a bikini, I could see the advantages.

Let's be clear, though: Manny should NOT coach and play in a bikini.

blUDAYvil
02-25-2015, 04:08 PM
As for the goals, he gets the talent because he talks about prepping them for the NBA as goal number 1, and the talent is why his program is currently at the top of college bball, so that speech aint changing.

as a Duke fan, I am happier that our coach has chosen to build our program with different goals.

I find Calipari’s strategy fascinating and impressive, especially looking at it through a Michael Porter lens. His approach is differentiated and his choices tailored uniquely. It’s difficult to replicate the entire chain of activities in a different program.

1. A unique value proposition: Cal offers his “customers” (BBN) a team comprised of the best available young talent, with a high degree of annual turnover. His program is geared towards placing talented individuals in the NBA. Wins, titles are consequences of the strategy rather than the primary objective.

2. A tailored value chain: To deliver the value proposition Cal relies on activities that are different from his rivals’ activities. First, he actively and aggressively recruits OAD talent, more so than his peers. While some coaches blend OADs with veterans, Cal appears more comfortable fielding teams comprised mostly/entirely of OADs.

Second, Cal actively promotes his strong commitment to his players achieving their NBA aspirations. He has even authored a book called “Players First,” for crying out loud (I haven’t read it). I believe Cal is different from others in that he’s willing to admit that player success is a more important objective to him than team success (or national championships).

Third, he runs defensive and offensive schemes that are relatively simple (as opposed to a pack-line defense, for example).

Fourth, he’s more willing to entitle each player a share of the spotlight (platooning).

Fifth, the 2 day on-campus NBA combine is a distinctly UK activity.

3. Trade-offs different from rivals: Cal’s system has trade-offs that allow it to deliver its unique value, the most obvious being forsaking more veteran players in favor of junior talent. Also, an (over)abundance of talent means limited minutes and Calipari has to field sub-optimal combinations to maximize each player’s exposure. Calipari also theoretically trades consistency (as measured by Ws or titles), though this isn’t evident from recent performance. Such trade-offs inherent in Cal’s choices make it less likely that others will follow.

4. Fit across the value chain: Some of the activities in the system are enhanced by other activities. His greater commitment to a player’s NBA goals over team concepts resonates deeply with the OADs he likes to recruit, as does a commitment to a minutes “floor”. Simple offense and defense schemes make sense for mostly OAD players. An on-campus NBA combine probably only works for a program like Kentucky.

5. Continuity over time: I think this is the big question since Cal’s system is young. Is it stable enough to endure shocks (2 and done paradigm)? Will Cal be able to modify/adapt getting even better and allowing the system to develop even greater tailoring/fit over time.

Dev11
02-25-2015, 05:54 PM
In general, it doesn't seem like Calipari fails to deliver on his promises. At the least, most of his players get drafted and rarely do they fall below their expectations coming out of high school. He's doing exactly what he plans to do.

I'm honestly amazed that a program like Kentucky likes this model. Yes, Calipari has had his fair share of postseason success, but he has stated throughout that his primary goal is to get the players to the NBA. For a top level program, Coach K certainly has a finger on the NBA pulse and can provide decent feedback to his players about their future careers, but the next time he mentions a skill that Tyus or Jahlil is focusing on because it will help that player's draft stock will be the first. If I was a Kentucky fan who pointed to banners for proof of success, I probably would have resented hiring Calipari, although the Final Fours and National Championship he has earned since would assuage me.

I wonder what Calipari's old players say 5, 10, and 25 years after leaving his programs, and how those comments compare to some his coaching peers. Sure, it can be the immediate goal of every 18 year old basketball player at a program like Kentucky to start getting NBA checks, but once the NBA is done with them, where do they go next? I think the thing we admire about Coach K is that many of his former players, NBA players or not, go on to successful jobs that don't entail playing basketball, although coaching and running basketball teams are certainly related fields.

brevity
02-25-2015, 07:31 PM
John Calipari could be the latest in the history of maverick coaches that run counter to NCAA ideals, but he seems a lot less beloved for it.

I wonder what Calipari's old players say 5, 10, and 25 years after leaving his programs, and how those comments compare to some his coaching peers. Sure, it can be the immediate goal of every 18 year old basketball player at a program like Kentucky to start getting NBA checks, but once the NBA is done with them, where do they go next? I think the thing we admire about Coach K is that many of his former players, NBA players or not, go on to successful jobs that don't entail playing basketball, although coaching and running basketball teams are certainly related fields.

I don't get the feeling that Calipari is the kind of guy who promises young men that he'll be their mentor for life. Not that he has a closed door policy to former players or anything, but that he's focused on the here and now, and that current players get his full attention. Maybe there are a handful of former UMass, Memphis, and Kentucky players who harbor some resentment, but their grievances are not widely known. (Or maybe Calipari makes time for them too.)

Possibly more interesting is the notion that there is no longer a University of Kentucky family when it comes to recent players, or if there is, that maybe Calipari is not actively involved.

chi
04-01-2015, 01:49 AM
Just saw this:

"Then you talk about Mike Krzyzewski, c'mon. Wooden, Krzyzewski, and that's about it. My respect for Mike Krzyzewski goes beyond just watching him and what he's done in thousands of games, all that. My respect for him goes to this level. What he did for Anthony Davis, what he did for Derrick Rose, what he just did for DeMarcus Cousins on USA Basketball. All of them spent that time with him and their careers changed, the whole direction. My hope is that half the team becomes my guys because I see what he's done for my guys. If you know me well enough, you know that's moving me. The other stuff is great, and I respect him. That right there, that moves me."

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2015/03/30/qa-john-calipari-previews-uk-in-final-four/70680222/

AIRFORCEDUKIE
04-01-2015, 07:12 AM
Just saw this:

"Then you talk about Mike Krzyzewski, c'mon. Wooden, Krzyzewski, and that's about it. My respect for Mike Krzyzewski goes beyond just watching him and what he's done in thousands of games, all that. My respect for him goes to this level. What he did for Anthony Davis, what he did for Derrick Rose, what he just did for DeMarcus Cousins on USA Basketball. All of them spent that time with him and their careers changed, the whole direction. My hope is that half the team becomes my guys because I see what he's done for my guys. If you know me well enough, you know that's moving me. The other stuff is great, and I respect him. That right there, that moves me."

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2015/03/30/qa-john-calipari-previews-uk-in-final-four/70680222/

oh wow, I am floored by this... One thing you have to respect about Cal is that he doesn't give one darn about what anyone thinks about his methods. He is doing what he thinks is best for his kids, and he loves those kids it seems. Give credit where credit is due, he does what he does better than anyone else.

Skitzle
04-01-2015, 08:41 AM
oh wow, I am floored by this... One thing you have to respect about Cal is that he doesn't give one darn about what anyone thinks about his methods. He is doing what he thinks is best for his kids, and he loves those kids it seems. Give credit where credit is due, he does what he does better than anyone else.

Coach K helps John Calipari's kids Succeed in the NBA. Calipari just gets them there...

This also means.

The 1-and-done talent that would have gotten to the NBA ANYWAY needs Coach K to make them great players.

So what does Calipari add to the system?

Even Rick Barnes got Durant to the NBA in one year...

jipops
04-01-2015, 09:09 AM
I heard parts of the interview, including the goals part. I can see why he recruits well and gets his players to buy in. In its way, it is straightforward and appealing. However, as a Duke fan, I am happier that our coach has chosen to build our program with different goals.

Yea me too. I know it's the type of goal that young kids are going to want to hear, but it is really so shallow. Cal does realize that these guys are going to spend the vast majority of their lives NOT playing professional basketball right? Does he trust that these kids have the wherewithal to know what to do with this new exorbitant income? And not everyone becomes Anthony Davis, John Wall, or Derrick Rose. Also, I'm quite sure all these UK kids would be drafted to the nba if they had gone to another school instead. Same with Okafor and Winslow.

I know K is very proud that Duke has put so many guys into the first round. And the Duke athletic department certainly promotes it. But K seems to be even more proud of the fruitful lives his guys lead once their playing days are over.

Frankly, I think Cal's sentiment lends itself to more of these types of cases...http://finance.yahoo.com/news/former-nba-star-antoine-walker--life-after-losing--110-million-214644672.html

DBFAN
04-01-2015, 09:16 AM
My biggest question here is this. If his goal is to get 8 guys ready for draft (which is fine, he should be making them better) what happens when the 1 year rule changes. Obviously there is no promise that the rule will change, but I have a feeling at some point another LeBron will come along and the NBA won't be so cool with letting him be in college for a year with a chance to injure himself. Player gets injured, NBA loses chance to exploit him for money. When this rule does change, what will Calapari do? He won't be able to offer anything to anyone with that line. Say it goes to a 2 year rule. Well if I'm gonna have to be in School for 2 years is UK the best place for me. Believe it or not, when you add another year it adds drastic consequences. Or lets say they go back to allowing kids to go in the league out of high school. Cal has shown that he needs a full cast of superstars to win, and if the superstars are all in the league, he surely can't recruit on his coaching experience. He cant go with loyalty, because, well I think kids know that if you play for him that it is entirely possible to lose scholarship when someone better comes along. Great for him that he has made such strides in a short time, but I have a feeling that it will not end well in Lexington

gwlaw99
04-01-2015, 04:35 PM
His number one goal at the beginning of the season, and he reminded his team of this just the other day, was to get get 8 guys drafted this year. His main goal was not about winning games but improving the players to the point that they get drafted.

Well then I guess this season has been a failure. Three definite first round picks Towns , Lyles, and WCS. Booker probably.

lotusland
04-01-2015, 04:57 PM
I think Calipari's goal is promote Calipari and puff up his own ego. Since his goals don't include mentoring young men to become admirable adults or to uphold and protect the university's standards and reputation (such as it is), I predict that things will end badly at UK for him. He'll either stay too long and make an undeniable I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. of himself, bolt for the NBA soon, or wreck the program again with his amazing lack of awareness and accountability.

lotusland
04-01-2015, 04:59 PM
I think Calipari's goal is promote Calipari and puff up his own ego. Since his goals don't include mentoring young men to become admirable adults or to uphold and protect the university's standards and reputation (such as it is), I predict that things will end badly at UK for him. He'll either stay too long and make an undeniable I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. of himself, bolt for the NBA soon, or wreck the program again with his amazing lack of awareness and accountability.

How is it I can say damn but not as*?

Indoor66
04-01-2015, 05:13 PM
How is it I can say damn but not as*?

'Cause you must be a Wanker. :cool: