PDA

View Full Version : Maryland-Wisconsin on ESPN

theschwartz
02-24-2015, 07:49 PM
Maryland's giving Wisconsin a game at the Comcast Center, up 11 at the half. Major implications for Duke in this one, as Wisconsin is one of the 4 other teams (along with UVA, Zags & Nova, in my opinion) battling for the final three 1-seeds. A loss by Wisconsin would obviously be greatly beneficial to Duke here. It feels really strange though, as rooting for Maryland goes against every fibre of my being. Nice to see the Maryland scholars haven't lost a step in their, uhh, gameday enthusiasm - whatever vitriol the fans normally save up for Duke has been transferred over to Wisconsin, the new 800-pound gorilla in their conference.

freshmanjs
02-24-2015, 07:50 PM
Maryland's giving Wisconsin a game at the Comcast Center, up 11 at the half. Major implications for Duke in this one, as Wisconsin is one of the 3 other teams (along with UVA, Zags & Nova, in my opinion) battling for the final three 1-seeds. A loss by Wisconsin would obviously be greatly beneficial to Duke here. It feels really strange though, as rooting for Maryland goes against every fibre of my being. Nice to see the Maryland scholars haven't lost a step in their, uhh, gameday enthusiasm - whatever vitriol the fans normally save up for Duke has been transferred over to Wisconsin, the new 800-pound gorilla in their conference.

i can't do it. go badgers! (and btw, the terps are the 4 seed i'd least like to see in our bracket if we are a #1...maybe they can move up to a #3)

conmanlhughes
02-24-2015, 07:55 PM
Maryland's giving Wisconsin a game at the Comcast Center, up 11 at the half. Major implications for Duke in this one, as Wisconsin is one of the 4 other teams (along with UVA, Zags & Nova, in my opinion) battling for the final three 1-seeds. A loss by Wisconsin would obviously be greatly beneficial to Duke here. It feels really strange though, as rooting for Maryland goes against every fibre of my being. Nice to see the Maryland scholars haven't lost a step in their, uhh, gameday enthusiasm - whatever vitriol the fans normally save up for Duke has been transferred over to Wisconsin, the new 800-pound gorilla in their conference.

Maryland is a team that worries me a little bit if we run into them into the tournament. They seem to have good driving guards that are pretty darn quick along with decent defense.

Billy Dat
02-24-2015, 08:11 PM
The Wisconsin comeback has led to immense Terping. This game is getting really chippy. The crowd is already losing their minds, what will happen when UW takes the lead in about 2 minutes?

arnie
02-24-2015, 08:21 PM
The Wisconsin comeback has led to immense Terping. This game is getting really chippy. The crowd is already losing their minds, what will happen when UW takes the lead in about 2 minutes?

Please, please let the Terps lose by 1 on a bad call. Please.

OldPhiKap
02-24-2015, 08:26 PM
sloppy sloppy Whiskey

Billy Dat
02-24-2015, 08:26 PM
Terps up 1 with 8 to go, should be good. Both teams playing well right now, Dez Wells being good Dez Wells, Sam Dekker playing tough, Frank the Tank in the mix, good stuff.

Eternal Outlaw
02-24-2015, 08:34 PM
As usual, you can hear some real classless stuff from the Maryland crowd.

theschwartz
02-24-2015, 08:38 PM
As usual, you can hear some real classless stuff from the Maryland crowd.

That's how you know you're watching a Maryland game.

Billy Dat
02-24-2015, 08:46 PM
Melo Trimble making a couple of big buckets down the stretch.

OldPhiKap
02-24-2015, 08:47 PM
I bet Wisconsin didn't realize that Maryland has always been their rival.

OldPhiKap
02-24-2015, 08:48 PM
Jay Williams isn't walking through that door.

Billy Dat
02-24-2015, 08:50 PM
Court Storm commences as the PA announcer yells about how no one is allowed on the floor. Big win for the Terps. Dez Wells was a monster.

SCMatt33
02-24-2015, 08:56 PM
Court Storm commences as the PA announcer yells about how no one is allowed on the floor. Big win for the Terps. Dez Wells was a monster.

You could see a good part of the crowd didn't want to go do it, but once the trickle started, people couldn't be left out. Props to security though for keeping the benches clear and slowing it enough at first to let all of the players get back to the bench

wgpatrick
02-24-2015, 08:59 PM
Joe Lunardi to Seth Greenberg in the post-game: "I have a picture of a bubble in my house with your head in the middle" [paraphrasing]

Amazing.

Also, Seth Greenberg gives Maryland fans heat for the court storming. On point, Seth!

Dukehky
02-24-2015, 08:59 PM
I actually miss the battles with Dixon/Baxter/Gary. Even Gilchrest, and Greivis, but I do not miss those fans one bit. They are an atrocious collection of people. Overall, I am so glad that I don't have to deal with those clowns, especially now that Gary isn't there to at least attempt to keep those animals in line.

Court storming. Maryland has a national title, Wisconsin has been to 2? Final Fours. Get a freaking life.

Henderson
02-24-2015, 09:00 PM
You could see a good part of the crowd didn't want to go do it, but once the trickle started, people couldn't be left out. Props to security though for keeping the benches clear and slowing it enough at first to let all of the players get back to the bench

Terps fans obviously excited about helping Duke out in the rankings a bit. A sweet gesture.

richardjackson199
02-24-2015, 09:04 PM
I have to give some respect to Maryland. They lost some good players in Mitchell and Faust to transfer. They had a stressful change of conference which no doubt was not what their players, coaches, and most of their fans/alums wanted. Yet they're as tough as ever, improved, and agreed - they're one of the last teams I'd like to face in the tourney. They would be so jacked to play us and knock us out. That loss they gave us 2 years ago to start the ACC tourney no doubt dropped us from #1 seed to eventual Nat Champion Louisville's bracket. I still fear the turtle. But they'll never forget the 3 heartbreakers we gave them in 2001.
Go Wolfpack

MCFinARL
02-24-2015, 09:06 PM

Yes, for what it's worth, the contrast between this court storming and the Kansas State one yesterday is instructive. If you are going to let it happen, this is the way to handle it.

theschwartz
02-24-2015, 09:06 PM
Finally Maryland does something useful! Re: Wisconsin's loss, this really hurts their odds of getting a 1-seed. They've probably fallen behind both Gonzaga & Villanova in the pecking order, and neither of those teams are likely to lose again in the regular season or conference tourneys.. It would take 2 losses by Duke or UVA to fall below Wisconsin, I think. This makes it even more likely Wisconsin gets placed as the 2-seed in the Midwest with UK, which is awesome as I think Wisconsin has the best shot of knocking off Kentucky (outside of Duke of course). Midwest Regional looks like it has the potential to be a bloodbath.

Duvall
02-24-2015, 09:23 PM
Wisconsin with the two-game losing streak against currently ranked opponents.

subzero02
02-24-2015, 10:00 PM
Finally Maryland does something useful! Re: Wisconsin's loss, this really hurts their odds of getting a 1-seed. They've probably fallen behind both Gonzaga & Villanova in the pecking order, and neither of those teams are likely to lose again in the regular season or conference tourneys.. It would take 2 losses by Duke or UVA to fall below Wisconsin, I think. This makes it even more likely Wisconsin gets placed as the 2-seed in the Midwest with UK, which is awesome as I think Wisconsin has the best shot of knocking off Kentucky (outside of Duke of course). Midwest Regional looks like it has the potential to be a bloodbath.

I love it when you talk like that... I agree with everything you said. I just wonder if the committee would put such a strong 2 seed with the number 1 overall seed. Kentucky fans would be furious... Which makes this scenario all the more desirable.

CoachJ10
02-24-2015, 10:03 PM
Wisco's 2 Big Ten losses are to Rutgers and Maryland. Go figure.

Btw, if Duke had had only 5 fouls called on them in total with ten minutes to go in the game, the internet and ESPN talking heads would barely be able to contain themselves. Instead Mr. bilas was explaining that Wisco has discovered something no one else in college basketball has figured out...how to "play defense without fouling".

Here is a Turtle
02-24-2015, 11:18 PM
Maryland doesn't blow teams out, but they know how to play in clutch time. That's the primary difference from this team and last years. 9-0 in games 6 points or fewer.

theschwartz
02-25-2015, 04:38 AM
I love it when you talk like that... I agree with everything you said. I just wonder if the committee would put such a strong 2 seed with the number 1 overall seed. Kentucky fans would be furious... Which makes this scenario all the more desirable.

My understanding is the Committee is now more concerned with geography than relative seed strength. Their directive is to send the top seeds to the nearest regional--allowing fans easier travel to the games, I guess--within their guidelines (i.e., teams from the same conference can't both be top-4 seeds in the same region - which is why we won't end up in the same region as UVA, etc.) regardless of the potential that they're putting the strongest 1-seed in with one of the strongest 2-seeds. Yeah, this scenario would be pretty amazing. Who wouldn't want to see a rematch of last year's epic FF game, especially with revenge-minded Wisky fixin' to take down theretofore perfect Kentucky? Given the NCAAT Selection Committee's infatuation with storylines, I would be shocked if those two WEREN'T put in the same bracket with the sole intent of setting up that Elite Eight matchup.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
02-25-2015, 06:45 AM
So whats the damage total for the evening after the win over Wisconsin? Did the riot the night away?