PDA

View Full Version : Chris Jones dismissed from Louisville

cptnflash
02-23-2015, 07:51 PM
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, please feel free to move or delete as necessary. But holy cow...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12364963/chris-jones-dismissed-louisville-cardinals

Unfortunately this more or less guarantees that our friends in Chapel Hill will finish 4th in the ACC, thus earning a double-bye in the ACC tournament.

scottdude8
02-25-2015, 05:37 PM
I found the recent dismissal of Chris Jones from Louisville very interesting given it's juxtaposition with Duke's situation with Rasheed. To my knowledge, nothing of any substance has come out regarding specifics in the Sulaimon case, but within just a couple days it seems the whole story with regards to Jones has come out. I'm curious what people think about this: is it something different about how the Duke and Louisville programs are run, do people think the difference lies in what lead to the dismissal, or is it something else or a combination of the two factors?

Duvall
02-25-2015, 05:42 PM
I found the recent dismissal of Chris Jones from Louisville very interesting given it's juxtaposition with Duke's situation with Rasheed. To my knowledge, nothing of any substance has come out regarding specifics in the Sulaimon case, but within just a couple days it seems the whole story with regards to Jones has come out. I'm curious what people think about this: is it something different about how the Duke and Louisville programs are run, do people think the difference lies in what lead to the dismissal, or is it something else or a combination of the two factors?

Well, with Jones it seems there were factors that were matters of public record. That doesn't seem to be the case with Sulaimon.

scottdude8
02-25-2015, 06:11 PM
Well, with Jones it seems there were factors that were matters of public record. That doesn't seem to be the case with Sulaimon.

So does this lend credence to the theory that Rasheed's issues were entirely in house, ie entirely behavioral issues in the context of basketball, and diminish the possibility that there were legal issues as many initially speculated? And if that's the case, does that cast the Rasheed case in a different light?

Seattle Hoo
02-25-2015, 06:17 PM
If there were "legal issues" with Sulaimon, they weren't matters of public record. That term is pretty broad and encompasses things that would not necessarily show up on the public record, but it is a pretty safe inference that his issues were team-related.

The two cases sound completely different except for their effect on the player's status with the team.

Troublemaker
02-25-2015, 06:43 PM
So does this lend credence to the theory that Rasheed's issues were entirely in house, ie entirely behavioral issues in the context of basketball, and diminish the possibility that there were legal issues as many initially speculated?

IMO, that possibility was already remote when, in the press release for his dismissal, it was stated: Sulaimon remains in good academic standing and is expected to finish the spring semester.

Rich
02-25-2015, 07:27 PM
IMO, that possibility was already remote when, in the press release for his dismissal, it was stated: Sulaimon remains in good academic standing and is expected to finish the spring semester.

Makes sense, although has Chris Jones faced any disciplinary action from the school?

rocketeli
02-25-2015, 09:44 PM
"nothing of any substance has come out"

ha-ha I see what you did there

NashvilleDevil
02-26-2015, 08:38 AM
A warrant has been issued for Chris Jones's arrest. Charges are very serious, rape and sodomy.

wsb3
02-26-2015, 08:54 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12385767/former-louisville-cardinals-guard-chris-jones-charged-rape-sodomy

brevity
02-26-2015, 08:55 AM
A warrant has been issued for Chris Jones's arrest. Charges are very serious, rape and sodomy.

Link (http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2015/02/26/louisville-basketball-chris-jones-arrest-warrant/24044629/) from the Louisville Courier-Journal.

I think the comparisons between two dismissed players can stop here. Close this thread, or fold it into either the Chris Jones dismissal (forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?35373) thread or suspension (forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?35301) thread. (Three Chris Jones threads? Ugh. I hate bulletin boards.)

wsb3
02-26-2015, 09:02 AM
Link (http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2015/02/26/louisville-basketball-chris-jones-arrest-warrant/24044629/) from the Louisville Courier-Journal.

I think the comparisons between two dismissed players can stop here. Close this thread, or fold it into either the Chris Jones dismissal (forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?35373) thread or suspension (forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?35301) thread. (Three Chris Jones threads? Ugh. I hate bulletin boards.)

Agreed.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
02-26-2015, 09:28 AM
Wow, Pitino was all over this one. No one can say there was a cover up or that Louisville did anything wrong. He suspended him after the text messages, let him back on with conditions, he broke said conditions and was immediately released from the program. I gotta say, this is pretty much the best way they could have handled this. They gave him 2 chances, they gave him the benefit of the doubt and he screwed up again and was promptly booted for violating curfew. Turns out while violating curfew he was out doing bad things. Of course as always, innocent until proven guilty but the program is in the clear.