PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Va Tech (Feb 25, 9 pm, ESPN2) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Pages : [1] 2

JBDuke
02-22-2015, 11:16 PM
Duke travels to Blacksburg Wednesday night for its only game with the Hokies this season. Time to see what the Buzz is all about...

gumbomoop
02-23-2015, 12:55 AM
A poor team. Sometimes play 5 guards. Not much size, truly lousy rebounding team. Tallest 3 guys collectively score about 8 points/game and 8 rebounds/game. Totally guard-dependent, shoot about same number of 3s/game as Duke, and about same 3-ball %, so that's their only threat. Poor FT-shooters.

Hope Jahlil is kept out. If so, Amile and Marshall should split C minutes, Justise should absolutely dominate at the 4, and our 4 guards are better than their 6 or 7 guards.

If Duke plays with same intensity as v. Clemson, only something like a 15/30 3-ball performance can keep VT in the game. It's VT's NC, "Duke gets everybody's best shot," etc., but Duke should -- should -- win easily.

Jahlil's injury happened at a moment in the season just before Duke was to face two smallish teams, so we're in luck in that regard.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
02-23-2015, 06:49 AM
Yea, I hope that if Jah is even close to still feeling his ankle being sore still that they keep him out this game. The risk of bothering the injury is too great to risk. Rest it one more game and bring him back vs Syracuse.

As far as the game goes, I expect Duke to stay on a roll it may not be a huge blowout like the Clemson game but we should force the pace and get the result we want.

It is so refreshing to have a team getting better with each game going late into Feb. I think we still have the potential for a let down in one of our final regular season games, but I don't think anyone can say that we aren't improving. We are in for a fun ride come March folks.

jv001
02-23-2015, 07:49 AM
I have not watched one VT game this season, so I looked at some player stats and here's a run down.

Wilson a 6'4 Soph is the distributor of the ball. He has 111 assists and 52 turnovers. He averages 6.7ppg and shoots .292% on threes but he's only taken 24 threes this season. Wilson gets 29.3 mpg.
The only other player on the squad with a plus assists to turnovers is Johnston a senior who has 8 assists and 2 turnovers. He gets 12.7 mpg.and averages 2.9 ppg.
Smith is a 6'1" Jr. who averages 13.6 ppg and shoots the 3 at .433%. He has 25 assists and 25 turnovers. He averages 30.5 mpg.
Bibbs is a 6'5" Fr. who averages 12.6 ppg and shoots the 3 at .442%. He has 40 assists and 49 turnovers in 29.9 mpg.
Ahmed Hill is a 6'5"Fr who averages 8.2 ppg and shoots the 3 at .368%. He has 40 assists and 47 turnovers. Hill is the leading rebounder with 3.7 rpg. He get's 29.1 mpg.
Muller is a 6'3" R-Fr. who averages 6.1 ppg and shoots the 3 at .360% but he's only taken 32 all season. He gets 20.7 mpg.
Hudson is a 6'5" Fr. who averages 5.8 ppg and shoots the 3 at ..205%. He's taken 39 so far this season. He gets 15.5 mpg.
Beyer is a 6'7" Senior who averages 3.4 ppg. He has taken 2 threes and made both this season. He averages 2.8 rpg in 12.7 mpg.
Pierce is a 7'00" Fr. who averages 2.8 ppg. He averages 2.4 rpg in 13.2 mpg.
Henry is a 6'8" Jr. who averages 2.7 ppg and 3.1 rpg. He gets 10.9 mpg.
It seems this VT squad has turnover trouble and is a poor rebounding team. They play 10 players that get at least 11 mpg. On paper it looks like Duke should handle them easily, but with Jahlil being a Big Question mark, I don't think we should take this game for granted. If we play anywhere close to our potential, we should win but in ACC action, who knows what's going to happen. GoDuke!

killerleft
02-23-2015, 12:42 PM
If the doctors sign off on Jahlil to play against VaTech, I say let him play. He's very likely only here for one year, and I wanna see him play every second I can. Only the G-Man as an upperclassman can even touch the freshman as Duke's all-time most talented center. After the season he'll be gone to that nowhere called the NBA, and I seldom watch even the best Dukies there. Selfish? Maybe. But I love watching him play, and I know he'll want to play. So there.

NYBri
02-23-2015, 01:27 PM
If the doctors sign off on Jahlil to play against VaTech, I say let him play. He's very likely only here for one year, and I wanna see him play every second I can. Only the G-Man as an upperclassman can even touch the freshman as Duke's all-time most talented center. After the season he'll be gone to that nowhere called the NBA, and I seldom watch even the best Dukies there. Selfish? Maybe. But I love watching him play, and I know he'll want to play. So there.

I get what you're saying it I would trade a VT game to be sure we play in late March.

Kedsy
02-23-2015, 01:58 PM
I get what you're saying it I would trade a VT game to be sure we play in late March.

But can you ever really be sure?

David Bunkley
02-23-2015, 02:37 PM

Hopefully, we can run VPI out of the gym the same way we did the Tigers. Get Jah a little run in each half (enough to get him in double figures), call it a day, and come on back to Durham.

We're getting close guys and gals. This team seems to be putting the peices together at just the right time - hopefully that translates into a little late-April basketball for our Blue Devils.

#GODUKE

MCFinARL
02-23-2015, 02:52 PM
But can you ever really be sure?

Of course not; thus, presumably, the use of the conditional "would." [Grammar nerd alert.]

More seriously, the OP's underlying point seems sound--if there is any significant doubt about whether playing on Wednesday would aggravate Okafor's injury and leave him unavailable or less effective later on, it might be wise to hold him out, even if he is cleared to play. That being said, I hope doctors would not clear him to play if there were any such doubt.

Kedsy
02-23-2015, 03:08 PM
More seriously, the OP's underlying point seems sound--if there is any significant doubt about whether playing on Wednesday would aggravate Okafor's injury and leave him unavailable or less effective later on, it might be wise to hold him out, even if he is cleared to play. That being said, I hope doctors would not clear him to play if there were any such doubt.

I agree with all this. Just saying that "trading" the VT game doesn't ensure anything.

Lar77
02-23-2015, 03:16 PM
If the doctors clear him, let Jah have some run, but substitute more often.

A rolled ankle will still be tender after a week and is likely to swell up a little after the game. But playing some should help more than hurt.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-23-2015, 03:25 PM
I agree with all this. Just saying that "trading" the VT game doesn't ensure anything.

I say we hold Jah out until the NCAA Championship game just to really be double sure he's healthy.

Bob Green
02-23-2015, 04:43 PM
Hope Jahlil is kept out. If so, Amile and Marshall should split C minutes, Justise should absolutely dominate at the 4, and our 4 guards are better than their 6 or 7 guards.

I agree 100 percent. Priority number one has to be Okafor being completely healthy. Sit him!

Lar77
02-23-2015, 04:56 PM
Apologies. This probably should be in the Clemson post game but the discussion there has gone into whether we should play zone against UNC.

Any insight into Amile? He did not seem right in the Clemson game and Coach pulled him with some words after he got beaten late in the game. I would call it lingering problems from the FSU hit, but he had a good game statistically against UNC.

I ask only because of my earlier comment about playing Oak at VT but with generous substitution. Marshall played a good game against Clemson (not statistically), but I think he and Amile need to be bringing it to have any comfort sitting Jahlil.

Olympic Fan
02-23-2015, 05:17 PM
(1) Coach K said on today's ACC teleconference that Jah is improving and he "expects" him to play Wednesday.

He was out of the boot today. His swelling is down and he's going to try and run in today's practice.

(2) I don't see VPI is an easy a game as some of you do. If it were in Cameron, yes ... an absolute gimmie. But they have been competitive in Blacksburg. They took Virginia (with Justin Anderson) to the wire before losing on a missed three at the buzzer. They beat Pitt and Georgia Tech at home and took Syracuse to a last shot at home.

Yes, they have no inside game either offensively or defensively (which really only helps us if Jah plays) and are terrible on the boards, but they are a crazy 3-point shooting team. They are averaging more 3-point attempts in ACC play than anybody else (almost 27 a game in ACC play) and are third in 3-point percentage (behind just Duke and Notre Dame). Their 3-point numbers are crazy considering they play a fairly slow pace.

They have a number of dangerous 3-point guys -- Adam Smith (40.8 on 98 attempts in ACC play), freshman Justin Bibbs (40.9 on 44 attempts in 10 ACC games), freshman Malik Mueller (35.9 of 64 attempts in ACC play). Ahmad Hill (39.5 on 43 attempts in ACC play).

I do think Duke will play to shut down the 3 -- and they don't have the slashers or the inside presence to thwart good defensive pressure on the perimeter. Still, you always fear a game when the other team goes off from the 3-point line. If that happens, Duke will have to work for this win.

jv001
02-23-2015, 05:29 PM
(1) Coach K said on today's ACC teleconference that Jah is improving and he "expects" him to play Wednesday.

He was out of the boot today. His swelling is down and he's going to try and run in today's practice.

(2) I don't see VPI is an easy a game as some of you do. If it were in Cameron, yes ... an absolute gimmie. But they have been competitive in Blacksburg. They took Virginia (with Justin Anderson) to the wire before losing on a missed three at the buzzer. They beat Pitt and Georgia Tech at home and took Syracuse to a last shot at home.

Yes, they have no inside game either offensively or defensively (which really only helps us if Jah plays) and are terrible on the boards, but they are a crazy 3-point shooting team. They are averaging more 3-point attempts in ACC play than anybody else (almost 27 a game in ACC play) and are third in 3-point percentage (behind just Duke and Notre Dame). Their 3-point numbers are crazy considering they play a fairly slow pace.

They have a number of dangerous 3-point guys -- Adam Smith (40.8 on 98 attempts in ACC play), freshman Justin Bibbs (40.9 on 44 attempts in 10 ACC games), freshman Malik Mueller (35.9 of 64 attempts in ACC play). Ahmad Hill (39.5 on 43 attempts in ACC play).

I do think Duke will play to shut down the 3 -- and they don't have the slashers or the inside presence to thwart good defensive pressure on the perimeter. Still, you always fear a game when the other team goes off from the 3-point line. If that happens, Duke will have to work for this win.

Like you OF, I don't think the game will be easy. Thanks for the conference stats. The ones I gave earlier in the thread were for the entire season. The Hokies seem to be shooting better in conference play than out of conference. They're playing 10 players that are getting at least 11 minutes per game. The only player that has a plus assist to turnover ratio is Wilson their soph guard. I'm wondering if we'll pressure VT as we did Clemson? I have not seen them all year, so I don't know how they handle the press. GoDuke!

MCFinARL
02-23-2015, 06:21 PM
I say we hold Jah out until the NCAA Championship game just to really be double sure he's healthy.

Agreed--but what better place to practice magical thinking than a fan board? :D

DukieInBrasil
02-23-2015, 08:11 PM
A few observations: the next FG that Quinn makes will either tie or set a new career high for points in a season. MP3's next FG will give him 100pts for his career. Grayson has made 9 consecutive FTs over his last 5 games.
Although i have been quite critical of Matt Jones's shooting this year (mostly b/c of how ugly it looks), he has made more 3s this year than he attempted last year. His FG% is way up (from ~29% to ~39%) and his 3FG% is up from 14% to 36%. His role has expanded since Sulaimon was dismissed and he has been playing well lately, averaging 7ppg in his last 5 compared to 5.5 for the season. He's a decent rebounder and has a + a/to. His FT shooting has also improved recently, going from mid 60s% to 75%. And none of this speaks to his main role on the team, being a versatile defender. He is not a star on this year's team, and he may never be, but he is playing an important role and he's playing it quite well in his So. year. So props to you Matt.

Ggallagher
02-23-2015, 10:06 PM
Apologies. This probably should be in the Clemson post game but the discussion there has gone into whether we should play zone against UNC.

Any insight into Amile? He did not seem right in the Clemson game and Coach pulled him with some words after he got beaten late in the game. I would call it lingering problems from the FSU hit, but he had a good game statistically against UNC.

I got the impression that Coach K was pretty unhappy about something Amile did before he pulled him. When Amile sat down, Coach K gave him a pretty emphatic whack on the arm and seemed to be saying something that at least from the expression on his face did not appear to be positive feedback.

MCFinARL
02-23-2015, 10:23 PM
Agreed--but what better place to practice magical thinking than a fan board? :D

Replying to my own post because I apparently responded to the wrong poster. This was supposed to be a response to this comment from Kedsy, and it is too late to edit the post:

TruBlu
02-24-2015, 08:25 AM
I got the impression that Coach K was pretty unhappy about something Amile did before he pulled him. When Amile sat down, Coach K gave him a pretty emphatic whack on the arm and seemed to be saying something that at least from the expression on his face did not appear to be positive feedback.

Amile had just played some soft defense on the interior for a couple of plays. It seems Coach K does not like soft defense. :rolleyes:

Hopefully, Amile will step it up a tad.

mattman91
02-24-2015, 08:42 AM
Amile had just played some soft defense on the interior for a couple of plays. It seems Coach K does not like soft defense. :rolleyes:

Hopefully, Amile will step it up a tad.

So why does Okafor get a pass on this?

freshmanjs
02-24-2015, 08:44 AM

players have different roles, abilities, and expectations.

jv001
02-24-2015, 09:35 AM

Good question. But if I remember correctly, shortly before the timeout and butt chewing, someone had given Amile an excellent pass for what should have been a layup. However Amile short-armed the shot and missed. I think Coach K wants more from his captains and therefore they sometimes are the ones he get's after the most. Just a guess. GoDuke!

killerleft
02-24-2015, 10:45 AM
Good question. But if I remember correctly, shortly before the timeout and butt chewing, someone had given Amile an excellent pass for what should have been a layup. However Amile short-armed the shot and missed. I think Coach K wants more from his captains and therefore they sometimes are the ones he get's after the most. Just a guess. GoDuke!

Perhaps it's because players respond to different things in different ways, and Coach K knows which buttons to push to get the best from each player (evidently Rasheed was missing a button or two?:().

DukeTrinity11
02-24-2015, 11:35 AM
2) I don't see VPI is an easy a game as some of you do. If it were in Cameron, yes ... an absolute gimmie. But they have been competitive in Blacksburg. They took Virginia (with Justin Anderson) to the wire before losing on a missed three at the buzzer. They beat Pitt and Georgia Tech at home and took Syracuse to a last shot at home.

Ya"ll are crazy! Duke rolls in this game by at least 25 points easy. Take it to the bank.

Duke is one of the best teams in the NCAA at defending perimeter shots. VPI doesn't have the quick guards who can slash and penetrate in the lane to exploit Duke's biggest weakness (stopping the dribble drive) like Miami, NC State, Wichita State, Kentucky, etc. that will give Duke any sort of issue.

I expect to see a lot of run for Grayson and MP3 in this game. Go Duke!

David Bunkley
02-24-2015, 12:41 PM
Ya"ll are crazy! Duke rolls in this game by at least 25 points easy. Take it to the bank.

Duke is one of the best teams in the NCAA at defending perimeter shots. VPI doesn't have the quick guards who can slash and penetrate in the lane to exploit Duke's biggest weakness (stopping the dribble drive) like Miami, NC State, Wichita State, Kentucky, etc. that will give Duke any sort of issue.

If the team is gelling the way they seem to be, this one should be over by the 1st under 12 timeout.

If this is a team that is going to make a deep tournament run, and I think it it, then the Hokies have no business even being on the same court with our Blue Devils.

Besides, you don't want to let any team that can shoot the 3 hang around late in the game.

#GODUKE

Olympic Fan
02-24-2015, 01:09 PM

Tell that to Miami (10 of 20 from 3 vs. Duke) or NC State (10 of 16 from 3 vs. Duke) or Notre Dame (8 of 18 from 3 against Duke). Even Georgia Tech -- the worst 3-point shooting team in the ACC -- goes 8 of 11 from 3 against Duke. What quick guards capable of slashing in the lane do the Jackets have?

Far from being one of the best teams in the NCAA at defending the 3, Duke ranks 10th in the ACC in 3-point percentage defense in conference play -- allowing opponents to hit 35.2 percent from long range. It's a team weakness, not a strength.

Look, I'm not picking Duke to lose Wednesday night, but as much as I'd like to think we'll go up there and coast, if the shots are falling for the Hokies, we could have to fight for our lives there -- as Virginia did.

Lar77
02-24-2015, 01:30 PM
Tell that to Miami (10 of 20 from 3 vs. Duke) or NC State (10 of 16 from 3 vs. Duke) or Notre Dame (8 of 18 from 3 against Duke). Even Georgia Tech -- the worst 3-point shooting team in the ACC -- goes 8 of 11 from 3 against Duke. What quick guards capable of slashing in the lane do the Jackets have?

Far from being one of the best teams in the NCAA at defending the 3, Duke ranks 10th in the ACC in 3-point percentage defense in conference play -- allowing opponents to hit 35.2 percent from long range. It's a team weakness, not a strength.

Look, I'm not picking Duke to lose Wednesday night, but as much as I'd like to think we'll go up there and coast, if the shots are falling for the Hokies, we could have to fight for our lives there -- as Virginia did.

Excellent point. Plus Va Tech has a history of playing teams tough in Blacksburg (e.g., 2011). Plus Buzz Williams has them playing hard if nothing else.

We should win, and we might win comfortably, but don't bet the house on it.

dukelifer
02-24-2015, 01:30 PM

I agree-blow out wins on the road are rare and Va Tech will be up for this one. This will be a tough, physical and ugly game. If Duke shoots it well- they should win by 10 or so but a mediocre night - and it could be closer. Can't take a night off- particularly against a team that has lost a bunch of close games- especially at home.

Troublemaker
02-24-2015, 02:06 PM
If the team is gelling the way they seem to be, this one should be over by the 1st under 12 timeout.

While the team has put together a string of Ws, I'm not sure I would consider it gelling just yet. During our win streak, I would characterize our performances (in chronological order) as: up(@UVA), down(GaTech), up(ND), down(@FSU), up(@Cuse), down(UNC), up(Clemson).

Hopefully that pattern breaks on Wednesday and we win comfortably.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
02-24-2015, 02:12 PM

You and your fancy facts and statistics!

Eakane
02-24-2015, 05:05 PM
While I don't agree with Andy Katz that Duke will necessarily be forgiven if we lose at UNC, there's for sure no forgiveness coming if we lose at V.Tech. A loss now, much like the loss at Wake last year, would clearly knock us out of contention for a 1 seed.

If we win out, we get a 1 seed. If we lose 1, we still probably get a 1 seed, but not if that 1 is tomorrow night. Kansas is out of the running with 6 losses, but Arizona Wisky, and Nova all have legitimate claims (Wisky more so). Gonzaga won't lose the rest of the way, Virginia will be forgiven a slip if Anderson and Perrantes are out (and they are expected to be back at full speed) and I hate Kentucky.

Duke controls its 1-seed destiny, but loses that control if we don't take care of business in Blacksburg.

These 8 teams are likely the 8 1's and 2's. I don't see anybody breaking into the party, except maybe ND if they win out and win the ACCT. So no matter whom has a 1 and whom has a 2, I'd like to see the committee do more than pay lip-service to the S-curve.

David Bunkley
02-25-2015, 07:23 AM
While the team has put together a string of Ws, I'm not sure I would consider it gelling just yet. During our win streak, I would characterize our performances (in chronological order) as: up(@UVA), down(GaTech), up(ND), down(@FSU), up(@Cuse), down(UNC), up(Clemson).

Hopefully that pattern breaks on Wednesday and we win comfortably.

It seems to me that you have described the results of the games perfectly, but to me that doesn't really describe how this team has gelled over the course of the last 7 games. This team's ability and willingness to fight for each other seems much more apparent to me than the "down" you put next to the UNC game - especially considering how little we got from our best player for the majority of that game.

#GODUKE

Henderson
02-25-2015, 08:59 AM
Looks like Duke is a 16.5 pt. favorite. That seems like a lot to me.

flyingdutchdevil
02-25-2015, 11:39 AM
Looks like Duke is a 16.5 pt. favorite. That seems like a lot to me.

I thought 15.5 was a high spread against Clemson (especially when it looked like Okafor wasn't going to play). Was actually going to bet the under. Thank God I didn't.

This Duke team is highly unpredictable. Jekyll or Hyde could pop out. With a 16.5 spread against VT, I'm not going to touch that one. Nice job Vegas.

FerryFor50
02-25-2015, 11:48 AM
I thought 15.5 was a high spread against Clemson (especially when it looked like Okafor wasn't going to play). Was actually going to bet the under. Thank God I didn't.

This Duke team is highly unpredictable. Jekyll or Hyde could pop out. With a 16.5 spread against VT, I'm not going to touch that one. Nice job Vegas.

I don't think they've been that unpredictable, especially since Sulaimon was dismissed.

They've been on a pretty good roll.

7 point win @UVA
6 point win over GT
30 point win over ND
3 point win @FSU (that was the toughest game of this stretch)
8 point win @Syracuse
2 point OT win over UNC
22 point win over Clemson

So, 6-0 with only two close wins over lesser teams and 2 blowouts. Mostly steady and consistent play.

There hasn't been much "Hyde" this season since State/Miami.

Personally, I think VT is worse than GT (even though they beat GT by 2). VT has lost to Clemson, Miami and NCSU over the past 3 games by an average of 20 points.

Yes, this is the ACC where weird stuff happens, but I don't see VT being much of a problem. 16.5 does seem a bit generous, though...

jv001
02-25-2015, 03:39 PM
Line changed. Duke now 15.5 favorites. Win by 1 and stay healthy guys. GoDuke!

-jk
02-25-2015, 03:54 PM
Could be dicey driving back from Blacksburg with the snow cranking up. Anyone know what time it's supposed to get messy?

-jk

Tripping William
02-25-2015, 03:59 PM
Could be dicey driving back from Blacksburg with the snow cranking up. Anyone know what time it's supposed to get messy?

-jk

Looks like it begins around 11:00 p.m. in Blacksburg and Durham and points in between.

FerryFor50
02-25-2015, 04:00 PM

-jk

Snow will start around 10PM in central NC (ie Wake County) as per weather.com.

Starting later in Blacksburg.

devildeac
02-25-2015, 04:03 PM

If this is a team that is going to make a deep tournament run, and I think it it, then the Hokies have no business even being on the same court with our Blue Devils.

Besides, you don't want to let any team that can shoot the 3 hang around late in the game.

#GODUKE

Please don't do this...

Tripping William
02-25-2015, 04:06 PM
Please don't do this...

I'm cautiously optimistic that the weauxfing will be counteracted by the snowstorm, but still . . . . why tempt fate?

flyingdutchdevil
02-25-2015, 04:23 PM
Snow will start around 10PM in central NC (ie Wake County) as per weather.com.

Starting later in Blacksburg.

Thank God it's snowing in other places in the US not named Boston.

Snow - you're like buying a vintage sports car: fun for the first 10 minutes, and then it's a pain until it goes away.

duketaylor
02-25-2015, 07:09 PM
Predicting a blowout is very dangerous. Luckily, I bet a beer last night (a crappy M Lite) and took unc minus 20 vs. NCSU, best crappy beer I ever lost:cool:

unc grad took the Pack!!

duketaylor
02-25-2015, 07:11 PM
Haven't read the entire thread, so if this has been discussed I apologize. Update on Oak? Will he be in uniform, will he play?

Rich
02-25-2015, 07:16 PM
Hopefully, we can run VPI out of the gym the same way we did the Tigers. Get Jah a little run in each half (enough to get him in double figures), call it a day, and come on back to Durham.

We're getting close guys and gals. This team seems to be putting the peices together at just the right time - hopefully that translates into a little late-April basketball for our Blue Devils.

#GODUKE

The Final Four is April 4 and 6 so if we're playing late-April basketball it will be pick-up regardless.

Native
02-25-2015, 07:34 PM
Haven't read the entire thread, so if this has been discussed I apologize. Update on Oak? Will he be in uniform, will he play?

Game-time decision. He's out of the boot and isn't limping anymore. If he doesn't play, it's largely precautionary at this point.

duketaylor
02-25-2015, 07:52 PM
Thanks, HLM!!!

FerryFor50
02-25-2015, 08:02 PM
Game-time decision. He's out of the boot and isn't limping anymore. If he doesn't play, it's largely precautionary at this point.

In honor of Okafor and in the spirit of Duke basketball I took one for the team tonight.

You are all welcome.

brevity
02-25-2015, 08:08 PM
In honor of Okafor and in the spirit of Duke basketball I took one for the team tonight.

You are all welcome.

FerryForFibromyalgia?

duketaylor
02-25-2015, 08:16 PM
I haven't seen a lot of VT games this year, but I'd still expect plenty of zone tonight if Oak doesn't play.

I'd think K would try to continue building towards the post-season with alternating defenses and players. Grayson should see at least 12 minutes I think and we need Amile to start stepping up and being more contributory. He's been weak, of late.

mr. synellinden
02-25-2015, 08:18 PM

According to Laura Keeley's tweet, he's expected to play.

https://twitter.com/laurakeeley/status/570750271376232449

FerryFor50
02-25-2015, 08:19 PM
FerryForFibromyalgia?

http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/video/video.snl.com/SNL_1350_09_Debbie_Downer.png

Duvall
02-25-2015, 08:19 PM
Why play zone against a team whose only plus skills in 3-point shooting?

-jk
02-25-2015, 08:32 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

Native
02-25-2015, 08:34 PM
Confirmed. Jahlil will start tonight.

OldPhiKap
02-25-2015, 08:36 PM
FerryForFibromyalgia?

There are not many things on the inter webs that literally make me laugh out loud, but your posts often do. Damn funny.

duketaylor
02-25-2015, 08:43 PM
Yep, ESPN just said Oak will start!!! More man-to-man, or zone to save Oak?

UVA killing Wake by 30!!

Seattle Hoo
02-25-2015, 08:47 PM
This game has some danger for Duke. Tech has been very competitive at home, in part because Cassell is such a dump that other teams tend to have trouble shooting there. Obviously, I expect Duke to roll, but if they come out soft, be prepared to sweat.

dukelifer
02-25-2015, 08:53 PM

You are all welcome.

Joel James intentionally stepping under fans now?

brevity
02-25-2015, 08:55 PM
http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/video/video.snl.com/SNL_1350_09_Debbie_Downer.png

"Scientists say that watching UVA basketball games will decrease your cat's life by 5 years." (Womp, womp)

Keep it up. I can do this all day.

lotusland
02-25-2015, 09:05 PM
I'm having a brain fart and cannot open chat. When I click on the link all I can get to is the Smilie list. Can anyone help a technically challeged brother out with quick fix. I am logged in:)

wilson
02-25-2015, 09:06 PM

You are all welcome.Have you tried the Feldenkrais Method?

riverside6
02-25-2015, 09:07 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/VT...

http://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-virginia-tech-basketball-live-stats-02252015

FerryFor50
02-25-2015, 09:07 PM
THANKS A LOT RICHMOND.

Stupid lousy FT shooting.

slower
02-25-2015, 09:08 PM
The end of regulation in VCU-Richmond was...nuts.

Troublemaker
02-25-2015, 09:08 PM
I'm having a brain fart and cannot open chat. When I click on the link all I can get to is the Smilie list. Can anyone help a technically challeged brother out with quick fix. I am logged in:)

Happening to everyone, it looks like. Your computer skills are fine.

uh_no
02-25-2015, 09:09 PM
THANKS A LOT RICHMOND.

espn3 it up in the meantime

mattman91
02-25-2015, 09:10 PM
THANKS A LOT RICHMOND.

Screw Richmond. Screw VCU. Screw the State of Virginia. Except Duketaylor...you're cool...

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-25-2015, 09:10 PM
On espn3

WiJoe
02-25-2015, 09:11 PM
As a Directv customer, I don't get espn3. I despise EVERYTHING espn.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-25-2015, 09:12 PM
9-4 duke. Place looks half empty. Weather? Jah just made a great move to basket. Looks good.

Duke95
02-25-2015, 09:12 PM
Amile didn't start?!?!

WiJoe
02-25-2015, 09:14 PM
Amile didn't start?!?!

Matt Jones

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-25-2015, 09:15 PM
Allen already playing.

duketaylor
02-25-2015, 09:16 PM
Screw Richmond. Screw VCU. Screw the State of Virginia. Except Duketaylor...you're cool...

Thanks, Matt, I think, I guess. I'm also sorry I can't watch our game thus far. I feel your angst!!;)

duketaylor
02-25-2015, 09:18 PM
I tried getting tix for VCU/UR and couldn't. Tough ticket.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-25-2015, 09:18 PM
Oak to Allen for 3!

FerryFor50
02-25-2015, 09:22 PM
YOU. HAVE. GOT. TO. BE. KIDDING. ME.

Another OT.

nyesq83
02-25-2015, 09:22 PM

Good thing I am a born and bred NYer or I would get upset at your crass insult of my adopted home city and state...er...Commonwealth

WiJoe
02-25-2015, 09:24 PM
*!#$

Native
02-25-2015, 09:26 PM
Why, Richmond, why?!

dairedevil
02-25-2015, 09:27 PM
Watching the game on ESPN3 with my Roku....no commercials!

DukeHLM'13
VCU and Richmond needs to hurry up and get over with...It's already past my bed time and I'm not ever getting to watch our game!

Selover
This is insane. SHOW ME DUKE!

duketaylor
Amazing last second meltdown by VCU to force 2nd OT.

Expecting 6-8 inches of snow tonight so this just adds to suspense. And lengthens the wait to watch our team. Arggghhh!!!

wilson
02-25-2015, 09:29 PM
YOU. HAVE. GOT. TO. BE. KIDDING. ME.

Another OT.Reminds me of the time we missed the entire first half of a game against, I think, Gonzaga(?) under similar circumstances. I'm really glad I have ESPN3 right now, but I feel for those who don't.

duketaylor
02-25-2015, 09:30 PM
How to access on Roku, as I have one and never use it? Thx!!

Duke95
02-25-2015, 09:32 PM
You all are missing out on a spectacularly crappy defensive effort by our Blue Devils.

wilson
02-25-2015, 09:33 PM
How to access on Roku, as I have one and never use it? Thx!!Quick YouTube tutorial:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9XsMkk2HyJQ
I'm watching via Roku as well. Love it for the most part.

nyesq83
Hokies making too many threes.

Duke up 33-29.

dairedevil
How to access on Roku, as I have one and never use it? Thx!!

Watch ESPN channel, live games. I think when I set it up I had to sign on with my AT&T account.

Duke95
02-25-2015, 09:34 PM
Our defense is horrible. And I mean horrible. The Maginot Line was more effective.

Danke Shane
02-25-2015, 09:35 PM
If you're wondering what kind of game this is going to be, VT is swishing fade away threes with a hand in their face. Repeatedly.

NYBri
02-25-2015, 09:35 PM
Glad to see VT guards are slow and the team can't shoot 3s.

wilson
02-25-2015, 09:36 PM
Hokies making too many threes.

Duke up 33-29.But I thought we were "one of the best teams in the NCAA at defending perimeter shots," and that this game would be over in like 8 minutes?
Some people have apparently never watched an ACC road game.

Duke95
02-25-2015, 09:36 PM
We are barely holding on against a team that's 2-12 in the ACC.

FerryFor50
02-25-2015, 09:37 PM
We are barely holding on against a team that's 2-12 in the ACC.

Good thing there's an entire 2nd half still to play.

wilson
02-25-2015, 09:37 PM
We are barely holding on against a team that's 2-12 in the ACC.It's 15 minutes in, and they're hitting some ridiculous shots. Keep your shirt on.

Duke95
02-25-2015, 09:38 PM
Good thing there's an entire 2nd half still to play.

Because we all know 1st half performance doesn't count.

Selover
By the time the game comes on I'll have lost my Dish signal!!! Darn snow..

FerryFor50
Because we all know 1st half performance doesn't count.

All that matters is the end result.

DRC
02-25-2015, 09:39 PM
Thank God for Watch ESPN. :)

jipops
Other teams have to hope Duke is one of the top teams in their region. They just don't defend.

nyesq83
TuneIn radio app has Duke IMG Sports Network broadcasts.

Channing
Is Laphonso Ellis wearing a Zabian Dowdell jersey tonight?

Duke95
All that matters is the end result.

I think that's what Pyrrhus thought too.

subzero02
02-25-2015, 09:40 PM
I can't help but to feel that we'd be winning by double digits if we were playing zone

nyesq83
02-25-2015, 09:43 PM
Tied at 33.

Channing
02-25-2015, 09:44 PM
It. Our man to man d is awful

Duke95
It. Our man to man d is awful

Our man to man is like a highway to the hoop.

fgb
Other teams have to hope Duke is one of the top teams in their region. They just don't defend.

been a while since a duke team defended.

GDT
02-25-2015, 09:45 PM
As a Directv customer, I don't get espn3. I despise EVERYTHING espn.

I think dtv does support espn3 now. Working for me.

Duke95
02-25-2015, 09:46 PM
This is like a layup drill for one of the worst teams in the league.

nyesq83
02-25-2015, 09:46 PM
The defense doesn't look too bad listening to the radio broadcast.

70% shooting for Tech so far.

NYBri
02-25-2015, 09:47 PM
Okafor's is a void on D in the middle. Got to go zone to protect him.

oakvillebluedevil
02-25-2015, 09:48 PM
If I hear the phrase "off the bounce" one more time, I'm just going to snap.

Channing
02-25-2015, 09:48 PM
Okafor's is a void on D in the middle. Got to go zone to protect him.

It seems he is sagging so far off that the ball handler can use the screen and easily come off with a lane to the basket

subzero02
02-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Ok, let's tie this up or take the lead... I am sure K will have some choice words for winslow, cook, matt, and tyus.

fgb
02-25-2015, 09:50 PM
gonna be an interesting 2nd half to watch. this 1st half reminds me a lot of both the ncsu and miami games; if the team is truly growing, they'll come out with some fire this time.

gurufrisbee
02-25-2015, 09:50 PM
This is the worst defense I've seen us have all season. It's like Jabari and Austin came back.

NYBri
02-25-2015, 09:51 PM
gonna be an interesting 2nd half to watch. this 1st half reminds me a lot of both the ncsu and miami games; if the team is truly growing, they'll come out with some fire this time.

How about some D?

Channing
Maybe coach used the first half to see if we could play man. I think we know the answer, now go zone and stop giving up the highway to the lane

slower

Every year there seem to be a few folks who make these idiotic pre-game predictions. They never learn.

bbosbbos
02-25-2015, 09:52 PM
This D is so poor. Pls wake up. We will go home after the 1st round with this D.

dukelion
Allowing the 171 ranked offense shoot 70% at the half.

Perimeter guys just have no energy but Okafor truly is a defensive liability.......looks lost out there at times.

And Amile is basically benched? He played lie 2 minutes and was the last sub in the game.

Duke95
Every year there seem to be a few folks who make these idiotic pre-game predictions. They never learn.

It's not idiotic really. It's what SHOULD happen IF we actually played like a Top 10 team.

slower
02-25-2015, 09:53 PM
Maybe coach used the first half to see if we could play man. I think we know the answer, now go zone and stop giving up the highway to the lane

Amen. This slowness to react is somewhat irritating.

Channing
02-25-2015, 09:53 PM
It's not idiotic really. It's what SHOULD happen IF we actually played like a Top 50 team.

fify

KandG
02-25-2015, 09:55 PM
People who couldn't watch the first half because of the double OT game before it...you were lucky.

Extremely odd, lackluster defense by Duke. Some of it is Okafor's rust and tentativeness moving on D, but the perimeter defenders are still allowing absurd amounts of dribble penetration. Hopefully that changes in the second half.

wilson
02-25-2015, 09:55 PM
It's not idiotic really. It's what SHOULD happen IF we actually played like a Top 10 team.This is patently incorrect. Top 10 teams play unexpectedly tough games against supposedly inferior competition with great regularity, especially in conference play and especially on the road. Virginia eked out a one-point HOME win against basement-dwelling Wake Forest recently. Does that mean they should just cancel the rest of the season?

slower
02-25-2015, 09:56 PM
It's not idiotic really. It's what SHOULD happen IF we actually played like a Top 10 team.

And yet, every year we see that nobody REALLY knows anything about how any particular game will turn out. So, while the optimism is commendable, it's still irritating to see this kind of blind overconfidence.

Duke95
02-25-2015, 09:58 PM
This is patently incorrect. Top 10 teams play unexpectedly tough games against supposedly inferior competition with great regularity, especially in conference play and especially on the road. Virginia eked out a one-point HOME win against basement-dwelling Wake Forest recently. Does that mean they should just cancel the rest of the season?

Unexpectedly tough? What game are you watching? It's "tough" because we are letting them shoot 70%. Please watch the game.

Speaking of UVa-Wake, the Cavs just wiped the floor with Wake by 36 tonight.

SCMatt33
02-25-2015, 10:00 PM
So I suddenly having flashbacks to the past, and not in a good way. I remember down the stretch last year repeatedly posting about extreme defensive ineptitude. While the defense has been less than stellar at times, I never quite felt it was as bad as today. VT scored on 16 of 17 possessions from about the thirteen minute mark, until the final minute when they stepped on the sideline. The only possession they didn't score was because Winslow ripped the guy down by his shoulders after getting beat and the called it on the floor. You just can't go that many possessions without any stops and expect to win. The worst part is that the first 5 minutes was some of the best D Duke's played this year. To be frank, the fist 5 minutes plus Okafor's offense is the only reason this is still a game.

Duke95
02-25-2015, 10:01 PM
fify

True that.

rsvman
02-25-2015, 10:02 PM
been a while since a duke team defended.

Yeah, like since we beat ND 90-60. That was some pretty good D. Oh, and the Clemson game 4 days ago.

Sheesh

RoyalBlue08
02-25-2015, 10:04 PM
I feel like it is pretty obvious at this point that this team is better suited to play press and/or zone as opposed to our traditional man. I am guessing the coaching staff is hoping for some growth out of our man to man defense, but it is getting late in the year and it isn't like a mAjority of this team will be back next season. I also get that in principle it seems wrong to zone a team as small as Va Tech, but I think it might be time to just focus on what these players do best.

wilson
02-25-2015, 10:05 PM
Unexpectedly tough? What game are you watching? It's "tough" because we are letting them shoot 70%. Please watch the game.

Speaking of UVa-Wake, the Cavs just wiped the floor with Wake by 36 tonight....which bears out slower's point about single-game variance. Less than two weeks after squeaking past Wake at home, UVA destroyed them on the road. Neither of those games is a fully accurate representation of the two teams' relative strengths. Surely you can understand that in one game (actually, in this case, HALF of one game), weird things can happen?
I am watching the game; I saw some poor D in the paint, but I also saw no fewer than half a dozen ridiculous shots go in despite perfectly adequate Duke defense.
In today's college basketball, and especially in conference road games, you have to be prepared for some grinds. Especially when you've got the "target on your back" like Duke does.
By no means am I happy with our overall performance thus far this evening, but this insinuation that 20 minutes of mediocre basketball suddenly mean we suck, is ridiculous.

Channing
VT scored on 16 of 17 possessions from about the thirteen minute mark, until the final minute when they stepped on the sideline.

I avoided looking up that stat, but didn't realize it was that bad. Have got to be able to get a stop. That is nonsense

Ultrarunner

Speaking of UVa-Wake, the Cavs just wiped the floor with Wake by 36 tonight.

Is that the same UVA team that we beat?

Gonna have to break out the smelling salts for all the fainthearted. Some times teams hit fadeaway, falling sideways threes. Some times ours rim out. Sometimes the #$@$ officials call 3! fouls with no contact on our team.

Now, let's see what happens in the second half.

nyesq83
02-25-2015, 10:06 PM
Two threes to start the half WTF?

Kjeffrey
02-25-2015, 10:07 PM
Is Laphonso Ellis wearing a Zabian Dowdell jersey tonight?

Funniest thing I Hanover read tonight. Ellis is painful for sure. He is not even trying to hide his enjoyment of this.

slower
02-25-2015, 10:09 PM
Laphonso Ellis is more of a moron than I remembered.

Not only did he continuously call Satchel Pierce "Satchel Paige", he just made some resoundingly stupid comments.

Duke95
02-25-2015, 10:09 PM
...which bears out slower's point about single-game variance. Less than two weeks after squeaking past Wake at home, UVA destroyed them on the road. Neither of those games is a fully accurate representation of the two teams' relative strengths. Surely you can understand that in one game (actually, in this case, HALF of one game), weird things can happen?
I am watching the game; I saw some poor D in the paint, but I also saw no fewer than half a dozen ridiculous shots go in despite perfectly adequate Duke defense.
In today's college basketball, and especially in conference road games, you have to be prepared for some grinds. Especially when you've got the "target on your back" like Duke does.
By no means am I happy with our overall performance thus far this evening, but this insinuation that 20 minutes of mediocre basketball suddenly mean we suck, is ridiculous.

It's not just 20 minutes of basketball. Look at our defensive ranking.

That "we have a target on our back" excuse is getting old. So does Kentucky. So does UVa.

Nobody said "we suck". Pay attention. Our defense is horrible. That's not to say our team is bad overall.

Duke95
02-25-2015, 10:12 PM
Dukeafor is awesome. That is all.

Channing
02-25-2015, 10:12 PM
I think this might be the first duke game Ellis has watched this year

slower
02-25-2015, 10:13 PM
It's not just 20 minutes of basketball. Look at our defensive ranking.

That "we have a target on our back" excuse is getting old. So does Kentucky. So does UVa.

Nobody said "we suck". Pay attention. Our defense is horrible. That's not to say our team is bad overall.
"Pay attention"? Really?

You're throwing around a lot of smack for somebody who apparently can't understand what others are saying. You may be out of your element, Donnie.

Channing
02-25-2015, 10:14 PM
To say our defense is like Swiss cheese is to overstate the size of the holes in Swiss cheese. It is closer to a hola hoop.

NYBri
02-25-2015, 10:14 PM
This is one of the worst offensive teams in the league, with no speed or shooters. That is how bad our defense is tonight. Zone please?

slower
02-25-2015, 10:15 PM
Feels like this one's going to get chippy very soon. Of course, it's VT, so that should be no surprise.

Duke79UNLV77
02-25-2015, 10:16 PM
I know we don't like to play it. But, we're clearly better at it. At least make the other team earn it.

uh_no
we destroy clemson playing almost exclusively zone. and are getting beat by a terrible team driving and taking open threes while playing man.....

I simply don't get it.

gurufrisbee
This feels WAY too much like last season. No defense. Sloppy turnovers. Coaching stuff stubbornly refusing to make changes that clearly would be better for the team. Hating this crap.

Duke95
02-25-2015, 10:18 PM
"Pay attention"? Really?

You're throwing around a lot of smack for somebody who apparently can't understand what others are saying. You may be out of your element, Donnie.

You may just want to watch the game slow.

uh_no
02-25-2015, 10:19 PM
we destroy clemson playing almost exclusively zone. and are getting beat by a terrible team driving and taking open threes while playing man.....

I simply don't get it.

then we give up 2 threes in 3 posessions playing zone :)

Duke95
02-25-2015, 10:20 PM
VT looks like Kentucky against us.

gumbomoop
02-25-2015, 10:20 PM
Geez, now Amile won't even shoot from right under the basket.

slower
02-25-2015, 10:22 PM
Geez, now Amile won't even shoot from right under the basket.

He has pretty much regressed to being a net negative on offense.

Duke95
Cookie Monster warming up.

Channing
The 1-2-2 is looking much better

NYBri
02-25-2015, 10:23 PM
Go zone and we take the lead.

slower
You may just want to watch the game slow.

Just waiting for you to regale us with stories of the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor, buddy! :p

CDu
This is one of the worst offensive teams in the league, with no speed or shooters. That is how bad our defense is tonight. Zone please?

Umm, VT has LOTS of shooters. Look at their stats. They are a great 3pt shooting team.

bbosbbos
When our best player big Jah is on the bench with Amile, our small team plays very well. What happen?

Bluedog
Are we better without Jah? Looked pretty good against Clemson and now finally on a run once we put him on the bench. :p (Before somebody gets mad at me, I'm kidding, relax).

Channing
Just waiting for you to regale us with stories of the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor, buddy! :p

Fellas ... This ain't IC. We are all on the same team

Duke95
02-25-2015, 10:24 PM

I have a feeling you're the type who would believe them. :D

jjredickrules
Go zone and we take the lead.

Oakafor goes out and we take the lead.

It's bizarre how often that has happened this year.

uh_no
by my count in the second half (counting drawing a foul as a made shot)

VT against man:
5-8

VT against zone:
3-7

we've also played 2-3 3 times vs 4 times for 3-2

Duke95
02-25-2015, 10:25 PM
The wind-up on Matt Jones' shot is like the executioner raising the guillotine.

duketaylor
02-25-2015, 10:26 PM
Feeling a little better now-not totally, but a little better.

VT can't shoot 70% all night.

Tyus needs to step up. Jah looks fine!!

uh_no
02-25-2015, 10:28 PM
Oakafor goes out and we take the lead.

It's bizarre how often that has happened this year.

his offense is great, but people defer to him....his defense is simply not good. he can't hedge or deal with screens, and his on ball defense in the post is poor. the number of shots UNC got off against him was incredible. He doesn't have a good instinct on how to affect shots down low without fouling, aside from an occasional block.

Channing
I love MP3 but he isn't catching a dart in traffic. Need to know who is on the court with you.

Selover
The wind-up on Matt Jones' shot is like the executioner raising the guillotine.

We're all thinking it, but he said it..

rsvman
Okafor can be a liability on defense, especially in the man-to-man when we're not communicating well.

gurufrisbee
02-25-2015, 10:29 PM
It really doesn't matter what defense we play - if we're not moving at all or when we do move it's badly whiff at steal attempts and leave the rest of the team hung out to dry, it's gonna give up easy shots over and over and over and over and over....

Channing
02-25-2015, 10:31 PM
Perhaps dribble penetration is a useful way to attack the zone?

uh_no
It really doesn't matter what defense we play - if we're not moving at all or when we do move it's badly whiff at steal attempts and leave the rest of the team hung out to dry, it's gonna give up easy shots over and over and over and over and over....

yep.

I thought the zone would help....but it's not particularly helping. they're taking wide open threes regardless of what defense we play.

Duke95
VT is can't miss a 3.

RoyalBlue08
First to 100 wins!

CDu
02-25-2015, 10:32 PM
Okafor can be a liability on defense, especially in the man-to-man when we're not communicating well.

He is also a liability in the 3-2 zone. Pretty much just useful in middle of a 2-3

Channing
02-25-2015, 10:33 PM
Jesus Laphonso Ellis is the absolute worst

Duke95
02-25-2015, 10:34 PM
Winslow is a straight up athlete.

Duke79UNLV77
Just not seeing focus on defense.

gurufrisbee

Yeah, but he's played more defense tonight than any of our players....

Duke95
02-25-2015, 10:35 PM

I hate to say this, but that title belongs to that Maryland guy Len Elmore.

But wait, Bill Walton may just be worse.

Brockt10
02-25-2015, 10:36 PM
Are we better without Jah? Looked pretty good against Clemson and now finally on a run once we put him on the bench. :p (Before somebody gets mad at me, I'm kidding, relax).

I have been wondering this same exact thing.

fgb
02-25-2015, 10:38 PM
man i am sick of watching us fail to bring it vs weak teams. that is the definition of small time basketball.

bbosbbos
02-25-2015, 10:39 PM
Painful to watch the game.

K is very quite. The team is very quite.

Duke95
02-25-2015, 10:39 PM
Yeah, but he's played more defense tonight than any of our players....

Daaaamn. That ain't right.

BlueDevilBrowns
02-25-2015, 10:42 PM
man i am sick of watching us fail to bring it vs weak teams. that is the definition of small time basketball.

It's the definition of being worried about our 1st round opponent in the NCAAT.

I honestly believe the further we can go in the tournament, the better we'll play.

Duke95
Another layup.

ChrisP
Unbelievable call against M Jones! Are you kidding me??? :mad:

BlueDevilBrowns
02-25-2015, 10:43 PM
Our best defense tonight is the missed VT layup... Sad.

uh_no
02-25-2015, 10:43 PM
Painful to watch the game.

K is very quite. The team is very quite.

quite what?

chrishoke
02-25-2015, 10:45 PM
Don't deserve to win.

Brockt10
Q
quite what?

Quite painful to watch

mr. synellinden
60% shooting. We need to get 2 stops in a row at some point in the last 4 minutes.

ChrisP
Every time I think VT can't possibly make ANOTHER three...they do. 61% now for the game. I realize our D is atrocious and many of their shots have been wide open looks but still...you gotta make the shots and they're makin' em! Gotta give them credit.

gurufrisbee
02-25-2015, 10:46 PM
quite terrible on defense.

DUKIE V(A)
02-25-2015, 10:49 PM
Yes!!!!

ChrisP
WHAT are we doing on offense?!? OMG....

Duke95
Hey look, I think that was defense!

ChrisP
02-25-2015, 10:50 PM
Great play by Winslow. Very smart. Keep it going!

Papa John
02-25-2015, 10:50 PM
A minute left in the half and only 10 fouls called... My, what a clean game this has been! ;)

DUKIE V(A)
02-25-2015, 10:51 PM
Make them take a tough 2. No threes.

ChrisP
02-25-2015, 10:52 PM
Make them take a tough 2. No threes.

Nah, they can't possibly make ANOTHER one, can they? :(

gurufrisbee
Under a minute - can we switch Okafor and Amile for offense and defense down the stretch?

subzero02
Oh so nervous... Not the casual game I was hoping for

Duke95
Winslow has some serious game.

slower
02-25-2015, 10:53 PM
Court-storming watch. Could be upgraded to a warning.

ChrisP
If it comes down to VT needing to make a 3 to win, I predict they won't.

Papa John
I'm still trying to figure out how we've allowec this team to score 77 points... Baffling...

subzero02
02-25-2015, 10:54 PM
We should win this... Whose number will be called. A Cook 3?

Duke95
02-25-2015, 10:54 PM
Time to Cook up a timely three.

wilson
02-25-2015, 10:55 PM
Under a minute - can we switch Okafor and Amile for offense and defense down the stretch?That's pretty much exactly what K just did...good call.

ChrisP
02-25-2015, 10:55 PM
If Okafor doesn't get a touch here...I will LOSE it. Gotta get him a chance.

ChrisP
02-25-2015, 10:56 PM
Well, at least they called the 3rd foul there.

bbosbbos
02-25-2015, 10:57 PM
Refs get illegal money for this game.

gurufrisbee
Crap call. Matt did nothing wrong there

subzero02
Free throws....

Duke95
Saint Dockery pray for us.

slower
02-25-2015, 10:58 PM

Foul was on Winslow.

ChrisP

It was on Justise, but if Okafor would just make his FT's it wouldn't matter.

CDu

Foul was on Winslow.

Coballs
This game is the basketball equivalent of the Chinese water torture.

DUKIE V(A)
OT please.

Papa John
No foul... No replay...

Duke95
02-25-2015, 10:59 PM
This game is the basketball equivalent of the Chinese water torture.

With a 39 minute preamble of kicks in the balls.

gurufrisbee
My bad. I hate the announcers so I watch without sound. Looked like they called it on Matt. Thanks.

ChrisP
Steal would be nice. Just sayin'....:cool:

bbosbbos
They fouled Tyus. Refs, you suck.

CDu
02-25-2015, 11:00 PM
Dodged a bullet. Hopefully OT is better.

gumbomoop
VT should play hack-a-Jahlil.

subzero02
Geez freaking louise... That was a long 10.2 seconds.

CDu
02-25-2015, 11:01 PM

No they didn't.

dairedevil
VT should play hack-a-Jahlil.

I thought that they had been for most of the night, just with no calls ;)

ChrisP

Agreed, but not gonna get that call on the road - and prob not at home at the end of the game like that.

Papa John
02-25-2015, 11:02 PM
My bad. I hate the announcers so I watch without sound. Looked like they called it on Matt. Thanks.

They called it on Justise... Who also did nothing wrong on the play in question... Then they followed it up by calling Quinn for a foul on a clean steal... Then no fouls called on the pinball action rebound of the VaTech last shot miss...

uh_no
02-25-2015, 11:02 PM
Under a minute - can we switch Okafor and Amile for offense and defense down the stretch?

no...cuz we blew all our time outs.

fgb
02-25-2015, 11:04 PM
"duke does not defend". not a controversial statement.

at best, this will be a bad win.

Duke79UNLV77
02-25-2015, 11:06 PM
How many times have we seen that this year. Give his athleticism a chance, refs,

subzero02
02-25-2015, 11:06 PM
I really dislike the announcers

NYBri
02-25-2015, 11:08 PM
Free throws!!!!!

subzero02
Ok... Jahlil. You have a chance to score 40 tonight if you make your FT's

ChrisP
Come on, big Jah, knock both of these FT's in!

_Gary
Terrible flashbacks to some of our previous flameout teams where our defense, especially dribble penetration was so atrocious.

uh_no
02-25-2015, 11:09 PM
there ain't no such thing as a free....throw

barjwr
02-25-2015, 11:09 PM
We need Rick Barry to teach Jah how to shoot his FTs underhanded