PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER New Uniform - 2/28

DavidBenAkiva
02-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Duke basketball and Nike announced another new uniform for the team. They will wear these during the home game against Syracuse on February 28th.

Nike calls them "Disruption." Not bad! I enjoy the move towards minimalist with the current uniforms.

flyingdutchdevil
02-20-2015, 12:31 PM
Duke basketball and Nike announced another new uniform for the team. They will wear these during the home game against Syracuse on February 28th.

Nike calls them "Disruption." Not bad! I enjoy the move towards minimalist with the current uniforms.

As with nearly all jerseys, I like em. Minimalist indeed. Also, these newer jerseys often have technology that helps the players. So, if we play bad, can't blame it on the jerseys!

DavidBenAkiva
02-20-2015, 12:43 PM
That's 6 uniform sets this year.

"Standard" Home White

"Standard" Away Blue

Alternative Away Black

Throwback Home White

Throwback Away Blue

Rich
02-20-2015, 12:51 PM
As with nearly all jerseys, I like em. Minimalist indeed. Also, these newer jerseys often have technology that helps the players. So, if we play bad, can't blame it on the jerseys!

Well, at least that's what Nike would like you to believe!

mo.st.dukie
02-20-2015, 01:21 PM
It has the overall look similar to the throwbacks but with the font type of the standard jerseys except with white lettering. Wonder if there is an aerographic on the back. It looks sharp.

Monmouth77
02-20-2015, 01:50 PM
They look like practice jerseys. Not a fan. Reminds me of those awful jerseys the Heels wore with the NC logo on the front (Joe Forte/Kris Lang era).

I love the throwback blues and whites, which are both classic but also somehow feel more cutting edge than the white-blue-black combos which have become the standard.

I'd love to see us wear the "throwback" as the standard, with the alternative blacks on limited occasions (neutral site games where we are the "away" team, e.g.)

Native
02-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Think it's pointless for Nike to keep introducing new jerseys while not putting the Blue throwbacks out for sale, but whatever.

These are alright. Not the best, but they're alright.

elvis14
02-20-2015, 02:00 PM
They look like practice jerseys.

Thanks Monmouth77, I couldn't quite figure out what it was about the jersey that bothered me....until I read your post. They do look like practice jerseys and that's not a good thing. I really like the throwback uniforms they have been wearing of late (would like them even more with a 'V' neck).

DavidBenAkiva
02-20-2015, 02:18 PM
The new Nike Dominance uniforms are not the worst special edition uniforms. The best would be the alternate white and blue sets worn by the current team. The new ones are far superior than previous attempts at special edition uniforms from Nike.

markbdevil
02-20-2015, 02:22 PM
Thanks Monmouth77, I couldn't quite figure out what it was about the jersey that bothered me....until I read your post. They do look like practice jerseys and that's not a good thing. I really like the throwback uniforms they have been wearing of late (would like them even more with a 'V' neck).

Don't know why Nike can't duplicate these beauties.

luvdahops
02-20-2015, 02:28 PM
Think it's pointless for Nike to keep introducing new jerseys while not putting the Blue throwbacks out for sale, but whatever.

These are alright. Not the best, but they're alright.

Agreed. These are not terrible, but they are not at all distinctive, either. Completely unnecessary in my view. The only brand building going on with these is for the swoosh, not Duke.

DavidBenAkiva
02-20-2015, 03:20 PM
These one-timers are part of a series that includes Duke. That's why they are not that distinctively Duke looking.

Rich
02-20-2015, 03:37 PM
The new Nike Dominance uniforms are not the worst special edition uniforms. The best would be the alternate white and blue sets worn by the current team. The new ones are far superior than previous attempts at special edition uniforms from Nike.

I'm just thankful that Nike has not forayed into the world of short sleeves!

Mike Corey
02-20-2015, 04:09 PM

Good call. These were horrendous.

luvdahops
02-20-2015, 04:28 PM
These one-timers are part of a series that includes Duke. That's why they are not that distinctively Duke looking.

Which reinforces my points that they only build the Nike brand and are totally unnecessary.

freshmanjs
02-20-2015, 04:29 PM
Which reinforces my points that they only build the Nike brand and are totally unnecessary.

you don't think Nike needs to use sports teams to build their brand? i do..and they are very good at it.

DUKIECB
02-20-2015, 04:34 PM
I normally like the new unis and I'm not knocking these but they kind of look like cheapo practice jerseys. Just not much too them.

jv001
02-20-2015, 04:39 PM
I normally like the new unis and I'm not knocking these but they kind of look like cheapo practice jerseys. Just not much too them.

I don't dislike them, I hate them. DUKIECB calls this one correctly. GoDuke!

luvdahops
02-20-2015, 04:50 PM
you don't think Nike needs to use sports teams to build their brand? i do..and they are very good at it.

Of course Nike needs to use sports teams to build their brand. I just don't think they need to do it by pushing one-time designs that have no sense of tradition or real purpose for the schools involved. And honestly, I'd be surprised if Nike made much money from this specific effort. I think it is much more a vanity thing for them at this point ("because we can"), maybe a special perk of sorts for their designers.

weezie
02-20-2015, 04:57 PM
They're terrible! What is this, softball socks?
What's with the wacky ugly shadowy thing down the outside of the leg. Is that a tie outline?!

Vests? Yeah, maybe if I'm running into Wegman's for milk. Vests, come on...

Man, Nike, just go the hell away. Duke FINALLY was getting somewhere with the all blue away and the cool white home and now this garbage crammed down everybody's throats.
UGH!!!!

hurleyfor3
02-20-2015, 06:22 PM
Jersey is decent, everything else is vomit-inducing. Are we the Oregon of college basketball now?

BD80
02-20-2015, 07:31 PM
As long as they spell "Duke" correctly, who really cares?

HK Dukie
02-21-2015, 04:50 AM
Well, they are really classing up the uniforms with a tie on the pants! That's so genius I wonder why no one thought of that before!

:(

weezie
02-21-2015, 06:29 PM
ky wearing the vests already.... And they look stupid.

msdukie
02-26-2015, 10:56 PM
Despite Duke (and every other school's) repeated denials that a Blue DISRUPTION jersey exists, and that the one being sold at the Duck Shop and online is an accident. I give you this, which suggests Uniform 7 (and also shows the 2012 and 2013 throwbacks):

http://www.blueplanetshots.com/201415/Nike-Gear/Duke-Uniforms/

Oh, and have some shoes too:

http://www.blueplanetshots.com/201415/Nike-Gear/Duke-Kicks-2015/

lotusland
02-27-2015, 07:43 AM
Despite Duke (and every other school's) repeated denials that a Blue DISRUPTION jersey exists, and that the one being sold at the Duck Shop and online is an accident. I give you this, which suggests Uniform 7 (and also shows the 2012 and 2013 throwbacks):

Oh, and have some shoes too:

http://www.blueplanetshots.com/201415/Nike-Gear/Duke-Kicks-2015/

I don't really understand any of your post about blue disruption jerseys or the duck shop but the 8th jersey shown on the linked page is horrible. It's carolina blue and gray. Yuck.

BleedsDarkBlue
02-27-2015, 11:30 AM

Personally I wanted to see these unis given its the 20th anniversary of the worst season in my lifetime.

captmojo
02-27-2015, 12:28 PM
I am quite partial to capes and crowns.

Ima Facultiwyfe
02-27-2015, 04:40 PM
I'm just thankful that Nike has not forayed into the world of short sleeves!

Don't give them any ideas!
Love, Ima

Newton_14
02-27-2015, 07:06 PM

Personally I wanted to see these unis given its the 20th anniversary of the worst season in my lifetime.

Have to agree. Ouch those sucked. That they aligned with the awful year that was 1995 only sealed the deal of worst ever.

Henderson
02-27-2015, 10:34 PM

What I can't figure out is why we would have been wearing gold and white unis in the first place.

lotusland
02-28-2015, 09:46 AM
What I can't figure out is why we would have been wearing gold and white unis in the first place.

Hilarious - tried to spork you to no avail!

TKG
02-28-2015, 09:47 AM
At this point, I am just happy that the new unis are blue and white. Nike has introduced black and grey as school colors. Always frightened by what the folks in Beaverton will determine to be our new school colors.

hurleyfor3
02-28-2015, 01:05 PM

Can this meme please be over? I liked Grumpy Cat better.

Henderson
02-28-2015, 01:16 PM
Can this meme please be over? I liked Grumpy Cat better.

Res ipsa loquitur.

75Crazie
02-28-2015, 07:37 PM
As long as they spell "Duke" correctly, who really cares?
Now that I have seen these uniforms on TV ... how would you know if they spelled it correctly or not? A white "Duke" (with a minimal letter border) on a white jersey? Absolutely hideous. This is about the worst combination that I have seen.

weezie
02-28-2015, 09:11 PM
Yeah make the Duke even smaller. Do it in braille next year

BlueDevilBrowns
02-28-2015, 09:29 PM
Yeah make the Duke even smaller. Do it in braille next year

That may actually be of benefit to the refs.

jrladd
02-28-2015, 09:49 PM
Today's uniforms were not bad. Hi tech materials for sure. The ones I hate the most are grey (on any team, in any style). Grey is dull, boring, uninspiring. And right now on ESPN Arizona is wearing black with red trim and Utah (the home team) is wearing grey with a similar red trim design. It's difficult to tell the teams apart on TV. I suspect the refs don't like it either.

uh_no
02-28-2015, 10:18 PM
That may actually be of benefit to the refs.

ugh....for the one guy who botched the two calls in a row i wanted to start

"I'm bald, I'm blind, I'm gonna need a rewind"

Newton_14
02-28-2015, 10:46 PM
Not sure how it came through on televisions but the vests looked hideous on the players, especially if they were unzipped. It was honestly difficult to watch warmups, to the point I mostly watched Syracuse.

Now that said, I wanted one of the vests as I thought they would look better as casual wear on us 40-something year olds. However, they were very thin and flimsy, and the price tag was $80 bucks. No thanks Duke or Nike, whichever of you is to blame. They had the uni's for sale in both road blue and home white. No thanks on the $120 jersey. The shorts were actually sweet, as were the long sleeve blue warmups with Duke on the front, but shorts were I believe $70 (no thanks) and the long sleeve blue shirts were I believe $90 (no thanks)

But the most irritating of all? At halftime I go to get a drink, and they have a child's road blue jersey in Number 15 hanging right out front of the store, and my 10 year old fanatic Duke fan little girl would have loved it. I stopped to get it thinking the price would be reasonable. Not. $120 bucks. I asked the lady running the store if Duke or Nike had lost their collective minds... She said "Yeah, that price for a child size is ridiculous."

While I am ranting, I really hate the Duke policy on which jersey numbers are offered for sale. Not sure who makes those decisions but I would love to discuss it with them. Some 80% of the jersey's for sale in all colors is Jahlil's #15. There are a few #5's, and outside of that there are left over #1's, & #30's from previous seasons, and I strongly suspect all the #5's are leftover Mason jersey's. On the special jersey's for tonight's game, I only recall seeing #15. I love Jahlil and he certainly deserves to have his number for sale, but in my opinion, so do all the other scholarship players on the team. As much money as Duke and Nike rake in, there is zero reason they could not run small batches of every number. I have an old #12 Singler jersey that I wear to support my current favorite player Winslow, and I would suspect each number would generate sales. Jahlil's probably would be the number 1 seller but I do feel the others would have enough volume to warrant making them.

My two cents..

Ima Facultiwyfe
03-01-2015, 12:35 AM
Probably the worst unis we've ever sent these poor guys out to face the public wearing. They looked like they were running around in generic pajamas. Add the increasing number of pantihose and undershirts they add to the mix, then just for fun drop the hemlines down to mid calf on those baggy bottoms and they come out looking like escapees from a psych ward. I'm surprised they didn't rebel. Do they get a say in this at all?

BTW, what is it with the shirttails this year? They've pretty much always been able to keep them tucked in before. Is this fabric just too slippery or what? All night long they have to keep wadding up and stuffing down the front. You can pretty much forget about them ever getting tucked back into the back. How can they concentrate on the play if they have to keep re-dressing themselves, bless their hearts. They deserve better, Nike.

Great game anyway, fellas. You played tough while dragging around all those sheets.
Love, Ima

Thurber Whyte
03-01-2015, 12:45 PM
They looked like they were running around in generic pajamas.

With the minimalist lettering and without the piping, it looked like the fabulous new uniforms that Nike promised our players never showed up and they had to play the game in their underwear with numbers they drew on themselves with a magic marker.

weezie
03-01-2015, 12:46 PM
...right now on ESPN Arizona is wearing black with red trim and Utah (the home team) is wearing grey with a similar red trim design. It's difficult to tell the teams apart on TV. I suspect the refs don't like it either.

That game was spectacularly badly called. Up there as possibly the worst of the year. The refs made our ACC bums look like Nobel Prize winners.
Sean Miller, very clearly, said a very bad word towards the end of the game, something perhaps similar to a derogative that Coach K might use in similar circumstances but the placid commentators merely tittered and moved to commercial.

It was a beauty of a curse and it definitely had "wanker" in it. Well-deserved it was.

blazindw
03-01-2015, 11:58 PM
Not sure how it came through on televisions but the vests looked hideous on the players, especially if they were unzipped. It was honestly difficult to watch warmups, to the point I mostly watched Syracuse.

Now that said, I wanted one of the vests as I thought they would look better as casual wear on us 40-something year olds. However, they were very thin and flimsy, and the price tag was $80 bucks. No thanks Duke or Nike, whichever of you is to blame. They had the uni's for sale in both road blue and home white. No thanks on the $120 jersey. The shorts were actually sweet, as were the long sleeve blue warmups with Duke on the front, but shorts were I believe $70 (no thanks) and the long sleeve blue shirts were I believe $90 (no thanks)

But the most irritating of all? At halftime I go to get a drink, and they have a child's road blue jersey in Number 15 hanging right out front of the store, and my 10 year old fanatic Duke fan little girl would have loved it. I stopped to get it thinking the price would be reasonable. Not. $120 bucks. I asked the lady running the store if Duke or Nike had lost their collective minds... She said "Yeah, that price for a child size is ridiculous."

While I am ranting, I really hate the Duke policy on which jersey numbers are offered for sale. Not sure who makes those decisions but I would love to discuss it with them. Some 80% of the jersey's for sale in all colors is Jahlil's #15. There are a few #5's, and outside of that there are left over #1's, & #30's from previous seasons, and I strongly suspect all the #5's are leftover Mason jersey's. On the special jersey's for tonight's game, I only recall seeing #15. I love Jahlil and he certainly deserves to have his number for sale, but in my opinion, so do all the other scholarship players on the team. As much money as Duke and Nike rake in, there is zero reason they could not run small batches of every number. I have an old #12 Singler jersey that I wear to support my current favorite player Winslow, and I would suspect each number would generate sales. Jahlil's probably would be the number 1 seller but I do feel the others would have enough volume to warrant making them.

My two cents..

Couple notes:

1. The shooting shirts are $65. Still expensive, but in line with what shooting shirts have been the past couple of years (and what they are selling the normal shooting shirt for this year).

2. The policy on which jersey numbers are offered for sale isn't a Duke policy Nike also has a part in that decision and they go with 1-2 numbers for each school. They figured Jah's #15 would sell the most, so Nike went with that number for Duke. It's the same way in football, though for certain schools they allow 2-3 numbers to be picked and others (like us) it's just one. The schools that have multiple jerseys have to get special permission and they have to buy a certain number of jerseys before Nike will even do the run. For Miami, when Duke Johnson was a freshman, a local store actually petitioned Nike to make a small batch of his #8 jersey (they had selected 3 upperclassmen numbers to run for the season). They finally were allowed to get them made at the end of the season, and the store sold out of that allotment quickly. But, they had to pay Nike directly a fee, as well as the school, and they had to purchase a certain number of the jerseys.

Also, in our case, a lot of the players who would be popular jersey purchases, thankfully, wear the same numbers of past players whose jerseys were on sale: Quinn (#2), Tyus (#5), and Justise (#12). Other schools don't have that luxury, but because of the numbers that we have retired, it basically pushes players towards certain popular numbers that will get reused.

-jk
03-02-2015, 06:07 AM
Wait - didn't Jay expose this already?

-jk

Reilly
03-02-2015, 04:24 PM
... the vests ... the price tag was $80 bucks. No thanks ... No thanks on the $120 jersey ... shorts were I believe $70 (no thanks) and the long sleeve blue shirts were I believe $90 (no thanks) ... a child's road blue jersey ... $120 bucks ... My two cents ...

Instead of valuing your opinion at two cents, I think you should call it your $115, to match the per-person Iron Dukes pre-Miami-football game tailgate price.

Newton_14
03-03-2015, 01:11 AM
Couple notes:

1. The shooting shirts are $65. Still expensive, but in line with what shooting shirts have been the past couple of years (and what they are selling the normal shooting shirt for this year).

2. The policy on which jersey numbers are offered for sale isn't a Duke policy Nike also has a part in that decision and they go with 1-2 numbers for each school. They figured Jah's #15 would sell the most, so Nike went with that number for Duke. It's the same way in football, though for certain schools they allow 2-3 numbers to be picked and others (like us) it's just one. The schools that have multiple jerseys have to get special permission and they have to buy a certain number of jerseys before Nike will even do the run. For Miami, when Duke Johnson was a freshman, a local store actually petitioned Nike to make a small batch of his #8 jersey (they had selected 3 upperclassmen numbers to run for the season). They finally were allowed to get them made at the end of the season, and the store sold out of that allotment quickly. But, they had to pay Nike directly a fee, as well as the school, and they had to purchase a certain number of the jerseys.

Also, in our case, a lot of the players who would be popular jersey purchases, thankfully, wear the same numbers of past players whose jerseys were on sale: Quinn (#2), Tyus (#5), and Justise (#12). Other schools don't have that luxury, but because of the numbers that we have retired, it basically pushes players towards certain popular numbers that will get reused.

Thanks for the correction and the info D. Yeah there are several #5 jerseys left in the Card Gym store and a lot old Curry & Scheyer #30's still in there, along with a lot of#1's. Last year I purchased a #34 in the Card Store to wear for Andre and got a 12 this year in there to wear for Winslow. Curious why Nike forces that. I get it costs money for the production line but I still maintain they could sell large amounts of other numbers. Plus they make too many of the numbers they do print which is why Card store still has so many old ones. Weird policy. The other thing is, this year it seems the #15 is the only new jersey being printed. I guess they could not figure out who would be the second best player. Finally, I would love to know where the Chronicle got the black #14 jersey for their story today. I have never seen a number 14 in any of the stores.

blazindw
03-03-2015, 03:10 PM
Finally, I would love to know where the Chronicle got the black #14 jersey for their story today. I have never seen a number 14 in any of the stores.

Could have been requested from the team. Also could have an old picture from a previous photo shoot. Happens all the time and is easy for the team to provide.

flyingdutchdevil
03-24-2015, 11:59 AM
Anyone else loving these new jerseys? The Nike Hyper Elites: http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/hyper-elite-duke-basketball-jersey/pid-10330103/pgid-10214857

I like the subtlety of the Duke and how clean they look. Definitely thinking about getting one. I just don't know the number yet (I have a #4 and a #2. Need to complete the trio).

Danke Shane
03-24-2015, 12:55 PM
Personally, I've cringed the last two games when the broadcast has started up showing these all white new, new alternates. They just don't look like traditional Duke uni's (barely any blue whatsoever, no vertical bars down the sides, no color stripes around the edges).

I guess they could be worse... I mean at least we aren't forced into wearing the Adidas hyper elite cumberbund series. :rolleyes:

elvis14
03-24-2015, 01:08 PM
Anyone else loving these new jerseys? The Nike Hyper Elites: http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/hyper-elite-duke-basketball-jersey/pid-10330103/pgid-10214857

I like the subtlety of the Duke and how clean they look. Definitely thinking about getting one. I just don't know the number yet (I have a #4 and a #2. Need to complete the trio).

If you look through this thread you'll see people say they look like practice jerseys or pajamas and I agree. As much as I loved watching our team play well in the first two rounds of the tournament, I do wish they were playing in the normal jerseys.

blazindw
03-24-2015, 01:15 PM
If you look through this thread you'll see people say they look like practice jerseys or pajamas and I agree. As much as I loved watching our team play well in the first two rounds of the tournament, I do wish they were playing in the normal jerseys.

The jerseys have been worn because Quinn selected them as the team's uniforms for the day. Seeing how we've played in them, I wouldn't be shocked to see us wear them the rest of the tournament.

SCMatt33
03-24-2015, 01:18 PM

I think the team might be picking the new jerseys for superstitious reasons at this point. They seemed to have preferred the white throwbacks for most of the year, but played probably their best 40 minutes of the year in the new ones against NC State in Greensboro, and then threw out a total clunker against ND in the throwbacks. Ridin' the hot uni, baby!

Mike Corey
03-24-2015, 01:18 PM
The jerseys have been worn because Quinn selected them as the team's uniforms for the day. Seeing how we've played in them, I wouldn't be shocked to see us wear them the rest of the tournament.

Putting aside the fact that I have come to really like these uniforms, I never thought I'd say this: As long as the guys like'em and they're performing well in them...I'm all in.

elvis14
03-24-2015, 01:19 PM

As long as we keep winning I'm happy. I'd rather have our team win wearing pajamas than lose wearing any other uniform!

jacone21
03-24-2015, 01:26 PM

I guess they could be worse... I mean at least we aren't forced into wearing the Adidas hyper elite cumberbund series. :rolleyes:

Amen! What were they thinking?

elvis14
03-24-2015, 01:55 PM
Amen! What were they thinking?

My daughter told me that these guys looked like the kids at school who have their jeans sagging too low and their underwear hanging out.

flyingdutchdevil
03-24-2015, 02:25 PM

Just another reason I love Quinn.

DavidBenAkiva
03-24-2015, 03:00 PM
My daughter told me that these guys looked like the kids at school who have their jeans sagging too low and their underwear hanging out.

That's so embarrassing for the Michigan player to have pissed his shorts. Almost as embarrassing as the Wisconsin player who had bloody diarrhea.

weezie
03-24-2015, 04:35 PM
As long as we keep winning I'm happy. I'd rather have our team win wearing pajamas than lose wearing any other uniform!

Yeah, me too. If we keep winning, I might be sporting the hyper-elite into Wegman's in about two weeks.

Husband says I've got the "hyper" down already. He's such a wag.

flyingdutchdevil
03-24-2015, 04:41 PM
Yeah, me too. If we keep winning, I might be sporting the hyper-elite into Wegman's in about two weeks.

Husband says I've got the "hyper" down already. He's such a wag.

You and me both. Happy to fork up the $120 for those bad boys. But I need a number on the back!

Also, I'm gonna say it: these do not look at all like practice jerseys (gross, meshy jerseys that expose your naval) or pajamas (super comfortable clothing with a weird pattern and messed up colors). These are stylish, simple, well-made jerseys. I love em. And yes, I will happily give Nike my money.

Between that, my Kyrie 1s (they don't make me better at basketball. They are super comfy, however), and my Dutch soccer paraphernalia, I've given Nike way too much money in the last 12 months.

Newton_14
03-24-2015, 06:59 PM
You and me both. Happy to fork up the $120 for those bad boys. But I need a number on the back!

Also, I'm gonna say it: these do not look at all like practice jerseys (gross, meshy jerseys that expose your naval) or pajamas (super comfortable clothing with a weird pattern and messed up colors). These are stylish, simple, well-made jerseys. I love em. And yes, I will happily give Nike my money.

Between that, my Kyrie 1s (they don't make me better at basketball. They are super comfy, however), and my Dutch soccer paraphernalia, I've given Nike way too much money in the last 12 months.

The uni's have grown on me, and they ditched the worst part about the package. (The vests and the warmup pants). They are wearing their normal warmup pants, and the long sleeve white warmup shirts which are really cool.

captmojo
03-25-2015, 09:06 AM
A little more color would set them apart from some others using them.
But, I think that general comfort is an important issue, along with that, comfort-in-movement.

NYBri
03-25-2015, 09:17 AM
I'm good with these. We will wear white until the final game if we play KY. Then we would wear blue. Is there a blue version?

blazindw
03-25-2015, 10:05 AM
I'm good with these. We will wear white until the final game if we play KY. Then we would wear blue. Is there a blue version?

There is that you can buy...not sure that they will use them in play. I would think the blue fauxbacks would be in order in any potential showdown with Kentucky.

NYBri
03-25-2015, 10:56 AM
There is that you can buy...not sure that they will use them in play. I would think the blue fauxbacks would be in order in any potential showdown with Kentucky.

Sweet. Hope we get a chance to wear them in the final game of the year.

msdukie
03-25-2015, 10:52 PM
Duke has the blue ones ready to go if needed:

blazindw
03-25-2015, 11:17 PM

I want all of these...

Newton_14
03-25-2015, 11:56 PM

I want all of these...

Wow. Great find msdukie! There are a couple in there that have never been announced or worn. Interesting that when they announced the jersey options for this season (which started this thread), that they did not list/show all of the options. The grey uni's for example, and the grey uni is not the one that most of us hated from the 2012 season. It is different. Interesting too, that the team did not wear all of the uni choices at least once this season.

I wonder if this is a new trend and they will have that many choices each season?

blazindw
03-26-2015, 12:07 AM
Wow. Great find msdukie! There are a couple in there that have never been announced or worn. Interesting that when they announced the jersey options for this season (which started this thread), that they did not list/show all of the options. The grey uni's for example, and the grey uni is not the one that most of us hated from the 2012 season. It is different. Interesting too, that the team did not wear all of the uni choices at least once this season.

I wonder if this is a new trend and they will have that many choices each season?

The grey unis pictured on that site are the ones from the 2012 season. They weren't going to be used this season. The blue hyper elite jerseys from this year also weren't supposed to be used, but are in case we wanted to wear them during the tournament. As others have mentioned, at this point the only time we can wear blue in this tournament is in a hypothetical national title matchup with Kentucky.

Newton_14
03-26-2015, 12:28 AM
The grey unis pictured on that site are the ones from the 2012 season. They weren't going to be used this season. The blue hyper elite jerseys from this year also weren't supposed to be used, but are in case we wanted to wear them during the tournament. As others have mentioned, at this point the only time we can wear blue in this tournament is in a hypothetical national title matchup with Kentucky.

Are you sure on the grey uni's Donald? They look different to me, but maybe my eyes a playing tricks on me. I do like those blue shorts that go with the road uni's we have not worn this year. If we make it to the title game and play UK, it will be interesting to see if those are the uni's they wear. I assume that will be up to Quinn as I believe he is the one that gets to select the uniform for each game.

I know others hate it, but I love the fact they have multiple selections for both home and road uni's. As long as the uni's look good, I think that is great. Hopefully it will be this way moving forward season over season. Very cool.

blazindw
03-26-2015, 12:31 AM
Are you sure on the grey uni's Donald? They look different to me, but maybe my eyes a playing tricks on me.

Yep. Here they are at the Nike press conference introducing them back in 2012:

And here's the stock photo that you would see on online stores:

Clay Feet POF
03-26-2015, 01:45 PM
Always amazes me the knowledge that Roams this Board.

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-26-2015, 02:31 PM
Yep. Here they are at the Nike press conference introducing them back in 2012:

And here's the stock photo that you would see on online stores:

Is this from the MD game where MP1 had a bunch of boards (22), right?

dairedevil
03-26-2015, 04:21 PM
I finally figured out what bothered me so much about these new Nike hyper elite uniforms. It's not just that they are so generic looking, it's that the school names are in white, and do not show up at all on television. One difference in Duke and Kentucky's jerseys is that for Duke the players names are the same blue outlined white that the Duke is on the front of the jersey. It not only makes it hard to tell what school, but what players are in if you don't know the numbers. However, Kentucky's players names are in blue, and are therefore more prominent than the school name. What message is that sending?

I imagine that Duke will continue to wear them as long as they keep winning in them. Oh, well....I guess I can live with it if the wins keep coming ;)

msdukie
03-26-2015, 11:29 PM
Also pictured are the 2013 one-off road blue jerseys worn at Maryland with the Black Iron Duke "D" on the front. The blueplanetshots photo spread shows all of Duke's uniforms since Nike gave its Platinum Elite (and other) schools one-offs each January/February. It just happens that last year's one-off was so popular, it became a second (and primarily used) home jersey and spawned a road version in the middle of this season. This year's one-off is also liked by the team and is now being used due to superstition. There never was supposed to be a road version, but several schools (Duke, Kentucky, Syracuse) got them.

Also, other schools use last year's throwbacks occasionally (and theirs are actual throwbacks not fauxbacks - i.e. Villanova, Georgetown, Stickyfeet).

In case you haven't noticed, Duke hasn't worn its standard home uniform since the end of December. Duke hasn't worn it's standard blue jersey since late January. Since then it has been all fauxbacks, Disruption jerseys and two appearances (Virginia, Virginia Tech) in standard black. Never would have expected that.

It will be interesting to see what Duke does with its uniforms next year.

blazindw
03-27-2015, 11:32 AM
Also pictured are the 2013 one-off road blue jerseys worn at Maryland with the Black Iron Duke "D" on the front. The blueplanetshots photo spread shows all of Duke's uniforms since Nike gave its Platinum Elite (and other) schools one-offs each January/February. It just happens that last year's one-off was so popular, it became a second (and primarily used) home jersey and spawned a road version in the middle of this season. This year's one-off is also liked by the team and is now being used due to superstition. There never was supposed to be a road version, but several schools (Duke, Kentucky, Syracuse) got them.

Also, other schools use last year's throwbacks occasionally (and theirs are actual throwbacks not fauxbacks - i.e. Villanova, Georgetown, Stickyfeet).

In case you haven't noticed, Duke hasn't worn its standard home uniform since the end of December. Duke hasn't worn it's standard blue jersey since late January. Since then it has been all fauxbacks, Disruption jerseys and two appearances (Virginia, Virginia Tech) in standard black. Never would have expected that.

I really hope it's white fauxbacks for home, blue fauxbacks for road and a black version of the fauxbacks for the 3rd. As I've said many times, fauxbacks for life!

Newton_14
03-27-2015, 05:22 PM
I really hope it's white fauxbacks for home, blue fauxbacks for road and a black version of the fauxbacks for the 3rd. As I've said many times, fauxbacks for life!

What's the difference between "throwback" and "fauxback"? I feel like we need a chart/matrix to track all this!;)

blazindw
03-27-2015, 05:33 PM
What's the difference between "throwback" and "fauxback"? I feel like we need a chart/matrix to track all this!;)

Throwback - retro jersey that is like/similar to a jersey that the team wore in the past
Fauxback - a retro uniform that doesn't follow the proper style of a previous uniform, or they add a bunch of old stylings and call it retro

The fauxbacks aren't jerseys that we used to wear in the past but are presented as a retro jersey...thus, the fauxback.

Blue KevIL
03-27-2015, 05:52 PM

Last appearance of the "Standard" White uniform: Jan-19 at home against Pitt.
This uniform made 9 appearances this season with a record of 9-0.

"Standard" Blue uniform: 3-1 (last appeared on Jan-28 at Notre Dame)
"Standard" Black uniform: 3-1 (last appeared on Feb-25 at Virginia Tech)
"Fauxback" White uniform: 9-2 (last appeared on Mar-13 vs Notre Dame)
"Fauxback" Blue uniform: 3-0 (last appeared on Mar-7 at UNC)
"Disruption" White uniform: 4-0 (last appeared on Mar-22 vs San Diego State)

msdukie
03-28-2015, 01:07 AM
Last appearance of the "Standard" White uniform: Jan-19 at home against Pitt.
This uniform made 9 appearances this season with a record of 9-0.

"Standard" Blue uniform: 3-1 (last appeared on Jan-28 at Notre Dame)
"Standard" Black uniform: 3-1 (last appeared on Feb-25 at Virginia Tech)
"Fauxback" White uniform: 9-2 (last appeared on Mar-13 vs Notre Dame)
"Fauxback" Blue uniform: 3-0 (last appeared on Mar-7 at UNC)
"Disruption" White uniform: 4-0 (last appeared on Mar-22 vs San Diego State)

Thanks for the correction. I forgot we actually wore the standard home jerseys vs. Pitt.

grateful_duke
03-28-2015, 04:14 AM
These white uniforms are awful, I'm sorry.

What happened the the other new whites ?... With the blue font.

DUKE should be BOLD and noticeable, not clean and hidden.
Silly...

Being back the late-90s early 00 uniforms. Those were the best.

The whole watermark thing on the back of the jersey is absolutely horrible too... Nike has gone too far.

And what's up with every other team having those huge wastebands??? State, Louisville, Wisconsin to name a few. too much Nike, too much...

davekay1971
03-28-2015, 09:08 AM
Thank goodness Duke doesn't have the wide waistband thing. It looks bad on every uniform, and a 6 inch wide blue waistband on our white uniforms would not look any better.

Now, if every team, including Duke, would kindly turn down the "NEVER STOPS" t-shirt on the bench thing that, I assume, Nike has promoted. What meaningless garbage. It would be a silly motto for one team, as if quitting in the middle of a tournament game was remotely common, and not quitting set that team apart. For every team to do it, it's even sillier.

blazindw
03-28-2015, 09:48 AM
And what's up with every other team having those huge wastebands??? State, Louisville, Wisconsin to name a few. too much Nike, too much...

You have adidas to thank/blame for those.

captmojo
03-28-2015, 10:35 AM
Thank goodness Duke doesn't have the wide waistband thing. It looks bad on every uniform, and a 6 inch wide blue waistband on our white uniforms would not look any better.

Now, if every team, including Duke, would kindly turn down the "NEVER STOPS" t-shirt on the bench thing that, I assume, Nike has promoted. What meaningless garbage. It would be a silly motto for one team, as if quitting in the middle of a tournament game was remotely common, and not quitting set that team apart. For every team to do it, it's even sillier.

The cummerbund thing just looks stoopid. I feel like checking to see if it's a white tie or black tie affair. Dumb.
The Nike motto t-shirt statement is stoopid too. It makes no sense. It's not original. Duh!

Newton_14
03-28-2015, 10:49 AM

The wide waist band is the Adidas uniforms. All the teams wearing those (NC State, Louisville, Wisconsin, etc) are Adidas schools, not Nike. The white with light gray on the pants that we are wearing are this year's Nike one-off uniforms. Kentucky is wearing their one-off version as well, as Kentucky, like Duke, are Nike schools.

As for the white warmup shirts, not sure, but I suspect that is the NCAA as every team in the tournament is wearing one. If it isn't the NCAA, then both Nike an Adidas were likely asked by the NCAA to create warmup shirts for each team in the tournament. Maybe MSDukie or BlazinDW have info on that as those guys have been all over these uniform stories, and thankfully so.

Edit: Forgot to add: The most atrocious uniforms worn in the tourney showed up in the Oregon/Oklahoma St game. That game was hard to watch actually. I don't know how the ref's stood it without wearing shades. Oregon was wearing neon yellow from head to toe, tops-pants-socks-sneakers, and Oklahoma St was wearing neon orange head to toe, again, inclusive of socks/sneakers. It looked like two very bright highlighters going at it. Somewhere Digger Phelps was proud, and grinning ear to ear!

captmojo
03-28-2015, 11:01 AM
Edit: Forgot to add: The most atrocious uniforms worn in the tourney showed up in the Oregon/Oklahoma St game. That game was hard to watch actually.

I felt the same way. The effects were lasting.
Seems like it would be hard on the players also.

More distracting, is the flashing lightworks at the front of the upper deck inside the arenas. :(

blazindw
03-28-2015, 11:59 AM
The wide waist band is the Adidas uniforms. All the teams wearing those (NC State, Louisville, Wisconsin, etc) are Adidas schools, not Nike. The white with light gray on the pants that we are wearing are this year's Nike one-off uniforms. Kentucky is wearing their one-off version as well, as Kentucky, like Duke, are Nike schools.

As for the white warmup shirts, not sure, but I suspect that is the NCAA as every team in the tournament is wearing one. If it isn't the NCAA, then both Nike an Adidas were likely asked by the NCAA to create warmup shirts for each team in the tournament. Maybe MSDukie or BlazinDW have info on that as those guys have been all over these uniform stories, and thankfully so.

Edit: Forgot to add: The most atrocious uniforms worn in the tourney showed up in the Oregon/Oklahoma St game. That game was hard to watch actually. I don't know how the ref's stood it without wearing shades. Oregon was wearing neon yellow from head to toe, tops-pants-socks-sneakers, and Oklahoma St was wearing neon orange head to toe, again, inclusive of socks/sneakers. It looked like two very bright highlighters going at it. Somewhere Digger Phelps was proud, and grinning ear to ear!

adidas has been creating shirts for all their teams in the tournament to wear for a few years now. You may recall last year the adidas schools were all wearing shirts that said "The ______ Way" with the blank either filled by their school name or their mascot. Generally the bigger schools had their mascot ("The Cardinals Way" or "The Wolverines Way") while smaller schools had their school name ("The Mercer Way"). Before that, it was the "We Will" shirts. This year, they have the "______ Destiny" shirt (the blank generally being the school's mascot).

Nike usually doesn't create a shirt for the tournament, but this year they did, introducing the "___ Never Stops" shirt where the blank is the team's logo. I like it. It's a nice shirt and it's one that the fans can also wear (they're only selling the short sleeve version in stores, while the teams are wearing long sleeve shirts). Kentucky has been the lone Nike team that hasn't worn their "___ Never Stops" shirt, opting instead to wear their Nike Disruption shooting shirts with the Nike Disruption Hyper Elite jerseys that they have worn since they debuted them (same jerseys we have been wearing in the tournament).

As for the Oregon/OK State game, I was watching that game at the DukeDC watch party bar and was glad that it wasn't on my TV. My TV would have been ruined, haha. It was a visually mesmerizing game though. It's the one game in the tournament where all you had to do was glance at the TV and you knew immediately who was playing.

jv001
03-28-2015, 12:57 PM
adidas has been creating shirts for all their teams in the tournament to wear for a few years now. You may recall last year the adidas schools were all wearing shirts that said "The ______ Way" with the blank either filled by their school name or their mascot. Generally the bigger schools had their mascot ("The Cardinals Way" or "The Wolverines Way") while smaller schools had their school name ("The Mercer Way"). Before that, it was the "We Will" shirts. This year, they have the "______ Destiny" shirt (the blank generally being the school's mascot).

Nike usually doesn't create a shirt for the tournament, but this year they did, introducing the "___ Never Stops" shirt where the blank is the team's logo. I like it. It's a nice shirt and it's one that the fans can also wear (they're only selling the short sleeve version in stores, while the teams are wearing long sleeve shirts). Kentucky has been the lone Nike team that hasn't worn their "___ Never Stops" shirt, opting instead to wear their Nike Disruption shooting shirts with the Nike Disruption Hyper Elite jerseys that they have worn since they debuted them (same jerseys we have been wearing in the tournament).

As for the Oregon/OK State game, I was watching that game at the DukeDC watch party bar and was glad that it wasn't on my TV. My TV would have been ruined, haha. It was a visually mesmerizing game though. It's the one game in the tournament where all you had to do was glance at the TV and you knew immediately who was playing.

Great info and thanks for sharing. I'm expecting a shirt that says; "The Cheats Way, Go Carolina". I'm sure no one will think it's South Carolina that they're talking about. GoDuke!

msdukie
03-29-2015, 01:32 AM
Great info and thanks for sharing. I'm expecting a shirt that says; "The Cheats Way, Go Carolina". I'm sure no one will think it's South Carolina that they're talking about. GoDuke!

UConn women have also been wearing their Disruption jerseys since the beginning of the American tournament. I believe Baylor WBB has been doing the same since the Big XII tournament as well (they are the only Platinum Elite women's programs and thus are the only ones with the uniforms; the men's schools were 5 of the 7 platinum schools- Duke, UK, AZ, Fla, SYR plus non-platinum or ELITE Oregon).

No one forces you to wear the "Never Stops" T-shirts as blazindw has pointed out, but everyone but Kentucky has decided to wear then.
Nike and UnderArmour also made selection Sunday Shirts for sale (ours say "Blue Devil Nation").

I think the specialized (yet not specialized by team) shirts for both events by the various manufacturers is pretty lame. As is the fact that lots of schools do not wear their normal uniforms during the tournament. Louisville will always have to live with the fact that all of their 2013 championship photos show the wearing camo jerseys with sleeves.

captmojo
03-29-2015, 10:11 AM
Now it's the 'Cut The Nets' shirt. I didn't know they needed instruction to do that.
:rolleyes:

Well, on second thought, maybe some do.

blazindw
03-29-2015, 11:55 AM
Now it's the 'Cut The Nets' shirt. I didn't know they needed instruction to do that.
:rolleyes:

Well, on second thought, maybe some do.

The Cut The Nets shirt was a Nike shirt issued for the NCAA champions. Kentucky wore won in 2012 and Louisville in 2013 (Louisville is an adidas school, but I believe Nike has the rights on the official championship shirts and hats for college basketball and football).

subzero02
03-30-2015, 04:01 PM
I say stick with the new alternate white uniform until we are forced to wear blue... If my bracket goes as planned, we will wear the same uniform throughout the tournament.

elvis14
03-30-2015, 04:04 PM
I say stick with the new alternate white uniform until we are forced to wear blue... If my bracket goes as planned, we will wear the same uniform throughout the tournament.

I've not been a fan of the new alternate white uniforms (aka pajamas or practice jerseys) but when you are winning in a particular jersey, you don't change the jersey.

subzero02
03-30-2015, 04:18 PM
I've not been a fan of the new alternate white uniforms (aka pajamas or practice jerseys) but when you are winning in a particular jersey, you don't change the jersey.

Another reason not to change... See the end of Georgetown/UNC 1982... That errant pass was partially blamed on the color of the practice jerseys in comparison to the game jerseys that the Hoyas wore( I think thompson said they had worn practice jerseys that were similar in color to unc's game jerseys all week) . The players are used to seeing their teammates in "white pajamas"... Let's keep it simple. Only 3 turnovers in the last game(2 real turnovers)... And it's all because of white pajamas ;-).

Henderson
03-30-2015, 04:52 PM

Depends on your Nike contract, doesn't it? I don't know what the Duke-Nike agreement says about jersey selection. Maybe someone else does.

Newton_14
03-30-2015, 05:09 PM
Depends on your Nike contract, doesn't it? I don't know what the Duke-Nike agreement says about jersey selection. Maybe someone else does.

Nike has no say actually. Except I guess, in the one game the alternate uniforms are created for. Other than that its up to the team. Quinn has been picking the uniforms each game for example.

With that, unless there is some kind of pressure from school officials to wear the normal home uniforms Saturday night, (which would be uber disappointing) I would expect to see the same uni's again, and if we play Kentucky Monday Night I would guess we go with the matching road uni's that were created or we go with the blue fauxbacks we wore in other road games this season like Syracuse and FSU.

DU82
04-01-2015, 10:43 PM
Folks here (including me) aren't the only ones that don't like black jerseys:

Gonzaga Students Blame Black Jerseys for Loss to Duke

http://www.khq.com/story/28655455/gonzaga-students-blame-black-jerseys-for-loss-to-duke

blazindw
04-01-2015, 11:13 PM
Folks here (including me) aren't the only ones that don't like black jerseys:

Gonzaga Students Blame Black Jerseys for Loss to Duke

http://www.khq.com/story/28655455/gonzaga-students-blame-black-jerseys-for-loss-to-duke

I like our black jerseys. They're WAY better than Gonzaga's. Navy and black don't go well together...I always like that when we're wearing our black jerseys, the blue and white are still accentuated. Of course, I think we should wear the black jerseys for maybe 2-3 road games a year...and never in Chapel Hill.

Edouble
04-01-2015, 11:22 PM
Quinn has been picking the uniforms each game for example.

How do you know this? Shouldn't both captains be picking the unis?

blazindw
04-01-2015, 11:25 PM
How do you know this? Shouldn't both captains be picking the unis?

The team has said this on several occasions before the previous games.

Chillduck
04-01-2015, 11:27 PM
Senior privilege.

msdukie
04-01-2015, 11:36 PM
I like our black jerseys. They're WAY better than Gonzaga's. Navy and black don't go well together...I always like that when we're wearing our black jerseys, the blue and white are still accentuated. Of course, I think we should wear the black jerseys for maybe 2-3 road games a year...and never in Chapel Hill.

THIS