PDA

View Full Version : In appreciation of Quinn Cook

David Bunkley
02-20-2015, 10:32 AM
Our senior captain has come a long way from when he was just a talented DMV kid that came back from a high school injury too soon. He has enjoyed success (Battle of Atlantis), endured heartbreak (Lehigh/Mercer), witnessed the strange (Rasheed), and lived the miraculous (Austin Rivers' shot/Tyus Jones takeover). His poise in pressure situations and the way he has mentored the younger stars on this team have been wonderful to watch.

On a thread earlier this year, someone mentioned that while the 3 freshmen are stars, this team will go as far as Quinn Cook's leadership can take us. I second that and add that I believe his leadership can not only carry this team, but is aslo a strength for this team.

I am extremely proud of the leader that Quinn has turned into. On Basketball and Beyond this week, Coach K said that Quinn Cook was doing "one of the best leadership jobs" he had seen in all of his years of coaching.

#GODUKE

(Mods - feel free to move this if that seems necessary)

FerryFor50
02-20-2015, 10:34 AM
Our senior captain has come a long way from when he was just a talented DMV kid that came back from a high school injury too soon. He has enjoyed success (Battle of Atlantis), endured heartbreak (Lehigh/Mercer), witnessed the strange (Rasheed), and lived the miraculous (Austin Rivers' shot/Tyus Jones takeover). His poise in pressure situations and the way he has mentored the younger stars on this team have been wonderful to watch.

On a thread earlier this year, someone mentioned that while the 3 freshmen are stars, this team will go as far as Quinn Cook's leadership can take us. I second that and add that I believe his leadership can not only carry this team, but is aslo a strength for this team.

I am extremely proud of the leader that Quinn has turned into. On Basketball and Beyond this week, Coach K said that Quinn Cook was doing "one of the best leadership jobs" he had seen in all of his years of coaching.

#GODUKE

(Mods - feel free to move this if that seems necessary)

Co-sign on this. I know I've been a detractor in terms of some of his decision making, but it's only because I know how important it is that he plays well for this team to succeed. He sets the example and the tone and has been marvelous in how he's handled his transition from primary PG to off-guard.

flyingdutchdevil
02-20-2015, 10:58 AM
As one of the biggest Quinn fans on this forum, I love this thread. People underestimate Quinn's qualities while focusing on what he doesn't do well. Quinn Cook has a assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.14. If he keeps that up, there is a strong chance he graduates with the best assist-to-turnover ratio in all of Duke basketball (Tyus Jones will leave Duke with the best ratio, but Quinn how have graduated).

He is also our best 3pt shooter (and I would say by far), a solid defender, a wonderful teammate, and - most importantly to this team of incredibly talented freshman - our leader.

With a Monster Behemoth Phenom (Okafor), the Athletic Jaw-Dropping Cool Hand Luke (Winslow), and the Greatest Pound For Pound Clutchster (Tyus), someone needs to hold these guys together. Step on down, Mr. Cook. Step on down.

yancem
02-20-2015, 11:12 AM
It would be fascinating to see what Cook's career trajectory would have looked like if he had red shirted his freshman year. It is clear that he had not recovered 100% from his high school injury. He was fantastic for the first 1/2 to 3/4 of his sophomore season but seemed to run out of gas or re-aggravate his knee toward the end of the season. He just wasn't quite as effective and the rematch against Louisville really highlighted that. I was expecting a real jump forward last year but it didn't happen until this year. I don't know if that had to do with him or the makeup of last years team but what he is doing this year certainly could have helped last year.

Maybe he wouldn't have progressed any quicker or maybe he would have been so much better off the bat that he wouldn't still be around to be the senior leader he has become but his sophomore numbers (11.7 ppg, 5.3 apg and 3.8 rpg) showed that he is a capable pg and his performance this year shows that he is a great scorer who can meld his game to match the needs of the team and has the leadership abilities that coaches yearn for in their seniors. As K says, everyone runs their own race but I would have loved to have seen what Cook's race would have looked like if he had been fully healthy at the beginning.

Of course watching him complete the race he has run is pretty awesome as well.

Seattle Hoo
02-20-2015, 11:58 AM
Cook is having a great year. Nice to have a senior leader, isn't it? He's probably the player who can best prevent Duke from dumping out of the tournament prematurely. There's nothing like a player who knows for a fact four years of college ball is over RIGHT NOW if you lose. That's my favorite part of the tournament, is watching the seniors play. They play like their lives depend on it in a way that no underclassman -- even one who knows he plans to go pro -- does. Having one of those in the backcourt along with a guy like Tyus Jones (who might be your best player) is huge in the Tournament.

Tom B.
02-20-2015, 01:48 PM

#GODUKE

His excellent play this year aside, Quinn is rapidly becoming one of my favorite Duke basketball leaders ever. Up there with Wojo, Carrawell, Battier, and Nolan.

Tripping William
03-01-2015, 03:29 PM
Especially since Quinn's Senior Night is just a little over 72 hours away. I absolutely *love* how he has developed as a leader of this precocious young team. Did anyone else notice the "hair ruffle" he gave Tyus Jones after one play in the second half last night? Almost a big-brother, "yeah, way-to-go-kid" kind of thing. It was very cool.

Quinn has endured two first-round losses in his career at Duke, and a trip to the Elite 8. I'd love nothing more than to see him propel the Devils to a deep, deep run and give a little more "balance," so to speak, to his post-season record.

Henderson
03-01-2015, 03:44 PM
I don't even need to read the posts in this thread. Just sign me up.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Cook is having a great year. Nice to have a senior leader, isn't it? He's probably the player who can best prevent Duke from dumping out of the tournament prematurely. There's nothing like a player who knows for a fact four years of college ball is over RIGHT NOW if you lose. That's my favorite part of the tournament, is watching the seniors play. They play like their lives depend on it in a way that no underclassman -- even one who knows he plans to go pro -- does. Having one of those in the backcourt along with a guy like Tyus Jones (who might be your best player) is huge in the Tournament.

This is the crux right here. Makes you wonder, in this day and age, who/when/if our next one might emerge.

Cook's development, physically, emotionally, and team-wise has really been amazing. My favorite detail is how he has learned to let the game come to him, while still knowing when the onus is on him to take over a game. That, and the way he has handled Tyus's role this season puts him very high on my list of Duke players of this era.

Here's to a successful month of March, followed by a great career at the next level.

THANK YOU QUINN
(PS - thanks for the kind words from a 'hoo. Many of our players seem to garner so much ill-will from the conference - I feel Quinn is very widely respected amongst his peers.)

OldPhiKap
03-01-2015, 04:03 PM
Cook has played incredibly well, and grown into a real leader. Could not be prouder.

Thanks, QC!

Ima Facultiwyfe
03-01-2015, 04:53 PM
I love this thread. Get out a dictionary and add every synonym for "splendid" you can find and tack 'em right here. I can't think of a player in the last 30 years who has so completely turned me around the way Quinn has. I wasn't one of the ones who saw the potential way back. My bad. He's done a real 180.

As hard as he has worked and as seriously has he's embraced it, he still hasn't lost his lightheartedness. I'd sure like to know what he and Ol' Roy found funny in front of the Tarheel bench during the game last week. Imagine that. In the middle of an instant classic rivalry game, he's laughing and scratching with the rival coach, showing respect where respect isn't even due -- and without losing his concentration!

He's learned how to bloom wherever he is planted and that will stand him in good stead the rest of his life.

My fingers are crossed that he wins MVP at the banquet.

We'll miss you Quinn. Don't be a stranger in Cameron.
Love, Ima

ChillinDuke
03-01-2015, 06:24 PM
Don't look now, but Quinn is up to 1435 career points at Duke. 1500 is certainly attainable.

No small feat. And very well deserved if he can finish strong.

- Chillin

PS - mods I think there is a Quinn Points Watch thread already but the search function kinda stinks.

kcduke75
03-04-2015, 08:41 AM
I hate that I will miss the game at Cameron. Quinn has been one of our steadiest players and I will miss him next year. I hope he plays his game tonight and leads us to a comfortable victory.

Thanks Quinn

David Bunkley
03-04-2015, 08:49 AM
The way that Quinn has grown as a player and leader has been amazing to watch.

He has connected with the Crazies as well as anyone.

I can't wait to see/feel/hear their mutual admiration culminating in a win tonight - one of 10 left to go, by my count.

#GODUKE

Ichabod Drain
03-04-2015, 09:34 AM
I'll leave this here...

https://instagram.com/p/zygVFzugf5/?modal=true

BrazyATX
03-04-2015, 09:51 AM
Quinn surprised me, no question. His first few years, the swag and jersey pops with little production to back it up, gave me a sour taste. But man, what an outstanding young man and leader he has become. In hind sight though, I should not be this surprised. Coach K as a teacher/coach and Nolan as a mentor early on. The signs and opportunities for Quinn were there, and even though I don't know him on a personal level, I am proud of the fact that he embraced them, put in the hard work and has become someone who will undoubtedly go on to be a great ambassador to Duke University, and great leader in his next endeavor, wherever that may be.

As an aside, parents of blossoming athletes should take note. This is how a program is run. This is what you should strive for with your children as they enter the world as a collegiate athlete.

DukieInKansas
03-04-2015, 10:10 AM
I'll leave this here...

Did not know that.

I love watching Quinn's leadership on the court. Caught his video with Tony Romo this morning and really enjoyed it.

Thank you, Quinn Cook, for representing our university so well. Looking forward to you leading the team to many more wins this season - would love it if your last game is a W.

weezie
03-04-2015, 10:18 AM
A humble man, the epitome of class and dedication. What a pleasure it's been to watch our Captain bloom!

MarkD83
03-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Thank you Quinn for four wonderful years. Enjoy your senior night!!

revmel53
03-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Quinn Cook is the consummate Duke player. He arrived on the scene not strong or completely healthy, but threw himself into the mix, even when he wasn't 100% He then endured life as a point guard, even when that wasn't his strength (and received criticism from many from the fact that he wasn't the best pass first assist producer.)

But never did he complain and pout... And then when K recruited a Five Star point guard by the name of Tyus Jones, still Quinn didn't do anything but say he believed in the coaches, and that he hoped to find his place.

And boy did he... Without Quinn this year, even with the amazing freshmen, we would have been only a shell of what the team became...

Thanks for four great years Quinn! You will forever be one of my favorite Duke players.

And now let's go win some championships!

Trey21
03-04-2015, 11:31 AM
I'll leave this here...

Wow. I knew he's dad had passed on but these past two days surely have been emotional for him. Quinn's already had a magical season, hopefully it will continue tonight and into this post-season.

I've always liked Quinn. He's always had an emotional edge to him since day 1 and I'm so happy he has learned to harness that emotion. It may have rubbed people the wrong way over the course of his few few years but I always thought he had it in him to become a true leader. He has a fire and edge to him that really a lot of today's players don't have. Couldn't be prouder of him and how his career has gone up to this point. He's worked hard and embraced his role. He has stuck it out through 2 early NCAA exits, injuries, transfers, a dismissal, and everything else that a young man goes through during college. I love all our players, but the arc that Quinn has had is truly unique and he's a one of a kind player/personality. Thanks Quinn!

Hingeknocker
03-04-2015, 12:09 PM
It has been so fun watching Quinn develop over these four years. He's a guy who clearly loved Duke from Day 1, and to see him develop into a leadership role while also performing at an All-ACC level has been tremendous to watch. He has absolutely carried the #2 mantle that Nolan Smith started, and the combination of his ability, leadership, and unabashed swagger makes him an incredibly special player. Easily one of my favorites over the past 10 or so years.

It's kind of funny to think back to 4-plus years ago, when his recruitment went back and forth, and Duke was rumored to be after other PGs (Kabongo?). Would have to say that it has worked out for the best! To me, watching players like Quinn develop into what he has become is one of the most rewarding things as a fan. I can't wait to watch the rest of his Duke career; may it last and last and last.

MCFinARL
03-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Cook has played incredibly well, and grown into a real leader. Could not be prouder.

Thanks, QC!

Yes--he is the Quinn-tessential Duke Basketball Captain!

Thanks, indeed.

Kedsy
03-04-2015, 01:28 PM
He then endured life as a point guard, even when that wasn't his strength (and received criticism from many from the fact that he wasn't the best pass first assist producer.)

I look at it differently. I think Quinn is a "natural" point guard who this season has managed to convert to a non-natural position as an off-the-ball player and has excelled.

I certainly don't think Quinn had to "endure" life as a point guard. Nor do I think it "wasn't his strength." During Quinn's sophomore and junior seasons, when he started for Duke at PG, he combined to average 4.83 assists per game, with a 2.52 a/to ratio. For comparison's sake, in Wojo's junior and senior seasons, he combined for 4.93 apg and a 2.79 a/to ratio. Essentially the same, but nobody would say Wojo had to "endure" life as a point guard.

Now, before someone comes along and tells me assist stats don't define someone's natural position, I agree. But in this case, Quinn Cook played point guard his entire life before this season. His ability to excel at an entirely new position this season makes his achievements that much more special.

wilko
03-04-2015, 02:00 PM
A tip of the hat to Captain Cook.
Not a 6', nor an 8' but rather a 12' pressure treated stud.

Heck of a Sr campaign.
I didn't think he had it in him. His growth and contribution to this yr speak LOUDLY to his journey.
I will miss him on the floor for us. Lets us savor what we have left and avoid games in Hawaii.

bbosbbos
03-04-2015, 02:16 PM
Quinn, you are a true leader of this Duke team. We appreciate your hard work.

Let us have a party with you tonight. We will have another party with you in April.

Thank you.

CameronBornAndBred
03-04-2015, 02:38 PM
Add me to the list of those admiring his talent and leadership. I love being able to follow a player for four years, and when they go out with a year such as Quinn is enjoying this season, it makes the whole experience that much more gratifying. Looking forward to following him all the way into April!

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-04-2015, 03:12 PM
I have a couple favorite Quinn moments:

One is from this year. During the first half of the ND game at CIS, Quinn spotted up in the corner by the ND bench, got the ball, and nailed a three during an explosive Duke run. He turned to the corner and had this s*-eating grin/snarl (I was sitting in section 10 and had a great view). It was a play and moment that I think defines his senior season.

Another moment was in his freshman year after Rivers hit the three to win over UNC in CH. Then this happened...

It riled up UNC fans and some Duke fans questioned the jersey popping, but I liked the edge I saw in him.

Thanks Quinn.

cptnflash
03-04-2015, 03:43 PM

One is from this year. During the first half of the ND game at CIS, Quinn spotted up in the corner by the ND bench, got the ball, and nailed a three during an explosive Duke run. He turned to the corner and had this s*-eating grin/snarl (I was sitting in section 10 and had a great view). It was a play and moment that I think defines his senior season.

Another moment was in his freshman year after Rivers hit the three to win over UNC in CH. Then this happened...

It riled up UNC fans and some Duke fans questioned the jersey popping, but I liked the edge I saw in him.

Thanks Quinn.

Anything that riles up UNC fans is good policy in my book. Keep it poppin' Quinn, and thanks for a great 4 years!

MartyClark
03-04-2015, 03:55 PM

Thanks Quinn.

I'm all in for Quinn. Your post reminded me of the Grantland account, I think by Shane Ryan, of that game. His description of Quinn staring at the North Carolina crowd with a "- - - - you" expression was remarkable.

This year's team has really been fun. Quinn has been remarkable. I hope he has a memorable senior night and a long run into the tourney.

Bluegrassdevil1
03-04-2015, 04:19 PM
There has never been another Duke player that I have enjoyed being more wrong about than I am about who Cook is and will become. I once found Cook to be one of the more frustrating and bewildering players to ever wear the Duke jersey, but as time has passed, I discovered that most of those frustrations and bewilderments were mine, not his.

Cook is not one of the greatest guards, athletes, nor stars to ever play for Coach K, but watching him this season, not simply as basketball player, but as a man, a teammate, and as a leader, has made me as proud to be a Duke fan as I have ever been. To think that Cook was able to take the moments and actions he had in the Bahamas in 2012, and essentially make an entire season's worth of those events by way of his scoring, passing, but most importantly, leading a very young, absent of depth, but talented group, willing the group to defeat Wisconsin in Madison, fight back against UVA, St. John's, UNC, VPI, and on and on. It is a rare treat to watch someone grow so much in four years, but I think it is fair to argue that while Cook may never be viewed in the same light as other four-year stars, there is no question, or any doubt, that Cook represents the best of the Duke program, its coaches, and its fans, and for that, I hope he is as fondly remembered as any kid that grew into a man in front of our eyes.

Today is my birthday, and while there have many great Duke moments on this day (usually beating the petro feet), a few sad moments (the obviously mentioned Hank Gathers), I do not think I have ever looked so forward to one player getting his just moment to shine as I do with Cook. Though nothing can replace the dread many of us felt related to Mr. Gather's passing, or the heartache of ending the year with a loss to a rival, nothing will supplant the joy of watching Cook walk off that beautiful floor around ten o'clock tonight.

To Quinn Cook and the fine example you have given us all for the last four years.

NYBri
03-04-2015, 04:47 PM
In Quinn We Trust.

Thank you and hope you have a great evening.

NYBri
03-04-2015, 04:48 PM
Also, sad to say it, but Jah, Justise and Tyus will probably playing their last at CIS. Wish them all well...for the rest of this season and beyond.

Thanks for a great year!

Billy Dat
03-04-2015, 05:26 PM
My first impression of Quinn Cook was an early photo they used to feature of him, before he even arrived at Duke, where he had a big smile and appeared to be winking at the camera. I thought, "Hmm, this kid is expressive"

Me second impression was based on events described below:

Quinn surprised me, no question. His first few years, the swag and jersey pops with little production to back it up, gave me a sour taste.

I didn't react as negatively as BrazyATX or as positively as HFETW, I was more bemused that this kid who had no roll in the game whatsoever was jersey popping a few feet from a Carolina crowd that looked ready to kill him. It was very Marshall Hendersen-esque.
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/27/gif-marshall-henderson-trolling-auburns-student-section-is-glorious/

Overall, I thought, "This kid is BUSTING to be out there where he can let his emotions out in the context of actual play".

Well, he got there, and the Quinn Cook stank face was introduced to a national audience:
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/titus-ncaa-college-basketball-second-bananas-quinn-cook-duke-sam-dekker-wisconsin-pat-connaughton-notre-dame-brandon-taylor-utah-kyle-collinsworth-brigham-young/

Aside from the wink, the Dean Dome jersey pop and the stank face and his obvious incredible leadership this year and generally solid play for his whole career, I will distinctly remember him on the court in a few ways. Yes, he was a 3 point marksman, but most of my memories are of him finishing around the basket. Earlier in his career, he would make me crazy by blindly throwing the ball at the basket, but he also excelled at the following:

-The up and under, "put the defender in jail" lay-up that starts on one side of the rim and finishes on the other:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIRnkmzqqbc&t=0m46s

-The jump-with-the-ball-in-front-of-the-face-wait-for-the-defense-to-sail-past-then-drop-it-in layup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbTy3BlSnCM&t=2m35s

-His tight spins as he advanced toward the hoop, here's a series of 3 in one break from the Pro-Am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgq5J_FrWKA&t=0m50s

Of course, especially this year, this video probably says it the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5BPrHl-gbc

ncexnyc
03-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Co-sign on this. I know I've been a detractor in terms of some of his decision making, but it's only because I know how important it is that he plays well for this team to succeed. He sets the example and the tone and has been marvelous in how he's handled his transition from primary PG to off-guard.
Nice to see someone step-up and admit they were wrong. I know I certainly was. I knew Quinn would not be the PG this year, but I never in my wildest dreams thought he would flourish like he has as the de facto leader of this team. Quinn's play has been outstanding and when all is said and done, we'll look back at his numbers and say this kid was a really good player that we never appreciated enough.

Good luck to Quinn in his last few Duke games and may he find success and happiness in the future.

NSDukeFan
03-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Overall, I thought, "This kid is BUSTING to be out there where he can let his emotions out in the context of actual play".

I think my favorite thing about Quinn is that he is the best Duke player at celebrating that I can remember. The last video highlights this as he has likely caused a lot of bruises by how much he has beaten up players after big plats. It's awesome! Thanks for a great 4 years. What is more fun than great senior years?

MPandolfi
03-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Can't say much more than what has already been said. So with that I want to thank Quinn for all his work during the last four years and hope his season and career ends with a win.

Dukehky
03-04-2015, 07:07 PM
Are they really commemorating Jones, Okafor, and Winslow as well tonight? Obviously not on the court, but in the programs?

That would not bode well for returners, but good job Q!!!!

MCFinARL
03-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Are they really commemorating Jones, Okafor, and Winslow as well tonight? Obviously not on the court, but in the programs?

That would not bode well for returners, but good job Q!!!!

Is there some evidence that they are? I can't imagine that they would do so--especially since none of those players, not even Okafor, has officially stated that he is entering the draft.

Dukehky
03-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Is there some evidence that they are? I can't imagine that they would do so--especially since none of those players, not even Okafor, has officially stated that he is entering the draft.

https://twitter.com/GriffDaddyK/status/573263181851828224/photo/1

Dukehky
03-04-2015, 07:16 PM
https://twitter.com/GriffDaddyK/status/573263181851828224/photo/1

Oh and Thanks Q, not a good season, a great season. You deserve team MVP and First Team All ACC Honors.

NSDukeFan
03-04-2015, 10:26 PM
Since I enjoy stats and numbers, here is where Quinn ranks all-time at Duke as best as I can tell:
After the Wake Forest game, Quinn currently has 1448 career points, ranking him 32nd all-time at Duke having recently passed Mike Dunleavy at 1371 points, Phil Henderson with 1397 points and Mike Lewis with 1417 points.
Next up in a tie for 30th place are Vince Taylor and Chris Carrawell with 1455 points and then in 29th place is Carlos Boozer with 1506 points. Hopefully, Quinn will get over 1500 career points (great accomplishment) before the end of the ACC tournament.
Quinn also ranks 9th in career assists with 492, not too far ahead of Grant Hill with 461 and Greg Paulus with 468. To move up the list, Quinn needs 505 to catch Wojo and 506 to catch Danny Ferry for 7th on the career list. Pretty impressive company. Go Quinn! I hope he has many more games to add to a great career.

As Scheyer said before his senior night, hopefully Quinn's greatest memories at Duke haven't happened yet.

-jk
03-04-2015, 10:36 PM
Not to detract from Quinn's career, but Mike Lewis did it in three years. Moose!

-jk

OldSchool
03-04-2015, 10:56 PM
Some great comments in this thread.

I can remember watching Quinn play as a freshman and thinking here was a natural point guard with excellent court vision and who showed flashes of brilliant passing, and thinking this was just what we needed and imagining ever greater success for him and the team.

The road ahead turned out to have bumps and obstacles in his path, but it's been remarkable to see Quinn find a way to succeed and come out on top.

I certainly hope all the post-season disappointments for him and us in recent years are completely reversed this year!

peloton
03-05-2015, 12:52 AM
My sincerest congrats to Quinn for the 4 years of hard work & dedication both on the court and in the classroom. It was quite the journey seeing you progress on the court, especially in regard to leadership. I'm sure that your ability to lead our relatively young team effectively this season is a big reason why this group of individuals (albeit very talented ones) is playing well as a team. You and the rest of the team are a real joy to watch play (especially) this season. Many thanks for all your contributions to Duke basketball over the 4 years and best of luck during the rest of the season.

dbcooper
03-05-2015, 07:30 AM
This Picture makes me smile everytime I look at it.

Quinn telling Austin he is the !@#%^& MAN!!!4838

jv001
03-05-2015, 08:04 AM
Not to detract from Quinn's career, but Mike Lewis did it in three years. Moose!

-jk

Had Mike had the benefit of the whistle as Hanstravel had, he would have been even higher on the list. At one time, Mike at 6'7" was one of the best big men in the college game. GoDuke!

The Gordog
03-05-2015, 09:52 AM

This x 1000. I have always loved it when he pushes or punches somebody after an and-1. Like him, I wear my heart on my sleeve a bit to much for some people's comfort. Oh well, tough luck for them! I ain't never changin' and don't you go changin' either. Captain Quinn!

summerwind03
03-05-2015, 10:19 AM
After a game Quinn's freshman year when Quinn went 0-10 I believe, we were hanging out in Cameron, when Quinn came back in and took shots for 15-20 minutes. I was impressed then, and have continued to be impressed by his talent and dedication. What a player! It's been a joy to watch him grow as a player and person.

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-05-2015, 07:27 PM
This is a a great interview with Nolan Smith about Quinn's career and some other stuff. Worth a listen

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/audio/14493276/

Kedsy
03-05-2015, 10:18 PM
After a game Quinn's freshman year when Quinn went 0-10 I believe, we were hanging out in Cameron, when Quinn came back in and took shots for 15-20 minutes. I was impressed then, and have continued to be impressed by his talent and dedication. What a player! It's been a joy to watch him grow as a player and person.

I don't mean to doubt your story, but I just checked the game logs and Quinn's worst oh-fer his freshman year was 0 for 3 (which happened twice). His most misses in a game was in a 3 for 9 performance against Miami.

Though I just researched further, and he did have an 0 for 11 game during his sophomore season. Maybe that's what you remember.

vick
03-05-2015, 10:33 PM
I don't mean to doubt your story, but I just checked the game logs and Quinn's worst oh-fer his freshman year was 0 for 3 (which happened twice). His most misses in a game was in a 3 for 9 performance against Miami.

Though I just researched further, and he did have an 0 for 11 game during his sophomore season. Maybe that's what you remember.

It was after that bizarre 14 assist, 0 point (http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/x1898436927/Kelly-Curry-lead-No-1-Duke-past-Wake) game against Wake his sophomore year.

summerwind03
03-06-2015, 01:35 AM
It was after that bizarre 14 assist, 0 point (http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/x1898436927/Kelly-Curry-lead-No-1-Duke-past-Wake) game against Wake his sophomore year.

Huh. I would have sworn it was three years ago, not two. That is the game I am remembering though.

Thanks for the link to the article. It was interesting.

It just seems particularly impressive to me, especially given we didn't end up needing his points that particular game, and he contributed so much to the game with all those assists.

ice-9
03-06-2015, 01:43 AM
I love players who dominate from day one. But there's a special place in my heart for those guys who came in, worked hard, made tremendous growth and became dominant. Guys like Shane Battier, Chris Carawell, Nolan Smith, JJ Redick, Mason Plumlee, and now, Quinn Cook.

Cook, you're our guy.

David Bunkley
03-06-2015, 07:54 AM
This is a a great interview with Nolan Smith about Quinn's career and some other stuff. Worth a listen

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/audio/14493276/

Thanks for sharing.

#GODUKE

David Bunkley
03-06-2015, 07:55 AM

Was that the game when Ryan Kelly hit a ridiculous number of shots in a row?

Kedsy
03-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Was that the game when Ryan Kelly hit a ridiculous number of shots in a row?

Probably. Ryan was 5 for 7 from three-land in that game, for 22 points in just 18 minutes. Unfortunately, Ryan got injured the very next game.

Tom B.
03-06-2015, 11:22 AM
So, will Mrs. K and The Daughters dust off "The Mighty Quinn" for Quinn's senior video at the banquet this year? I mean, they have to, right??

Mrs. K used that song on a senior video once before, but that was 26 years ago. (Side thought: Somewhere in my house, I have a bootleg VHS copy of several senior videos from the late 1980s and early 1990s -- gotta dig that out and get it put on DVD.) So I think enough time has passed that it's OK to re-use it. And this time the spelling matches!

captmojo
03-06-2015, 12:17 PM
I don't even need to read the posts in this thread. Just sign me up.

Me too...or three. :D

Neals384
03-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Quinn's season has been all the more remarkable when you consider that he was not even a lock to be in the starting lineup. In a DBR poll from last summer, almost 25% had him coming off the bench!
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/poll.php?pollid=1002&do=showresults

jv001
03-07-2015, 10:52 AM
Quinn's season has been all the more remarkable when you consider that he was not even a lock to be in the starting lineup. In a DBR poll from last summer, almost 25% had him coming off the bench!
http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/poll.php?pollid=1002&do=showresults

I was in the 49% of voters that thought Quinn would start along side of Tyus. Quinn showed that he was a very good three point shooter the previous year. I was most worried about the defense of our two starting guards. I believe they have shown that they can play pretty good D. GoDuke!

captmojo
03-07-2015, 01:51 PM
Good episode on Cook's value and values, on this week's Inside Basketball.

Dukehky
03-07-2015, 04:49 PM
Guys, seriously, Screw Carolina.

Stray Gator
03-07-2015, 04:57 PM
My wish for Quinn: A late-night confetti shower on April 6 at midcourt in Lucas Oil Stadium . . .

77devil
03-07-2015, 07:13 PM

The poll said more about the posters than reality. There was no way Matt Jones was going to start over Quinn, who is significantly more talented, and the senior captain.

NM Duke Fan
03-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Quinn Cook's presence allows Duke to shine

"That's how my life is; I've always been overlooked," Cook said. "I've always been too small, not athletic enough, so I'm used to it. Our four freshmen are our most talented players. I know Coach K had confidence in me, so I wasn't worried about anyone else outside."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/103940/cooks-presence-allows-duke-to-shine

davekay1971
03-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Quinn Cook's presence allows Duke to shine

"That's how my life is; I've always been overlooked," Cook said. "I've always been too small, not athletic enough, so I'm used to it. Our four freshmen are our most talented players. I know Coach K had confidence in me, so I wasn't worried about anyone else outside."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/103940/cooks-presence-allows-duke-to-shine

That was a really nice article, and it's nice to see Quinn get his due. His play this season shows the way four year players can benefit the college game, and themselves. Quinn was once mercurial, playing with joy and energy when things were going well, but tending to sulk when he struggled or made errors. His matured and improved every year, albeit more slowly than us DBR-ers would have liked at times. But this season, we've seen the fruition of his growth. He's been rock steady all season, both in his play and in his demeanor. He's the floor leader for this team, a role that every truly great team needs. Although this team has capped off a great regular season, they are not, yet, a truly great team. Even though I value the regular season, with each game being its own learning opportunity and its own accomplishment, a team becomes truly great when the successful regular season is followed by achievements in the postseason. This team has the potential to do that. I think Quinn will help lead them there.

freshmanjs
03-08-2015, 12:39 PM
The poll said more about the posters than reality. There was no way Matt Jones was going to start over Quinn, who is significantly more talented, and the senior captain.

it's hard to know. at that point in time, you could have said there is no way Matt Jones will start over Captain Amile Jefferson. But he does.

dukelifer
03-08-2015, 12:53 PM
That was a really nice article, and it's nice to see Quinn get his due. His play this season shows the way four year players can benefit the college game, and themselves. Quinn was once mercurial, playing with joy and energy when things were going well, but tending to sulk when he struggled or made errors. His matured and improved every year, albeit more slowly than us DBR-ers would have liked at times. But this season, we've seen the fruition of his growth. He's been rock steady all season, both in his play and in his demeanor. He's the floor leader for this team, a role that every truly great team needs. Although this team has capped off a great regular season, they are not, yet, a truly great team. Even though I value the regular season, with each game being its own learning opportunity and its own accomplishment, a team becomes truly great when the successful regular season is followed by achievements in the postseason. This team has the potential to do that. I think Quinn will help lead them there.
No idea whether Quinn will play at the next level. All odds are against him - but no matter what he can look back at this senior season with tremendous pride. He was a true leader and his basketball skills were in full display. He has grown so much as a player and as a young man. I suspect we will see him also as a coach one day and lead young players yet again.

NSDukeFan
03-15-2015, 07:18 AM
Since I enjoy stats and numbers, here is where Quinn ranks all-time at Duke as best as I can tell:
After the Wake Forest game, Quinn currently has 1448 career points, ranking him 32nd all-time at Duke having recently passed Mike Dunleavy at 1371 points, Phil Henderson with 1397 points and Mike Lewis with 1417 points.
Next up in a tie for 30th place are Vince Taylor and Chris Carrawell with 1455 points and then in 29th place is Carlos Boozer with 1506 points. Hopefully, Quinn will get over 1500 career points (great accomplishment) before the end of the ACC tournament.
Quinn also ranks 9th in career assists with 492, not too far ahead of Grant Hill with 461 and Greg Paulus with 468. To move up the list, Quinn needs 505 to catch Wojo and 506 to catch Danny Ferry for 7th on the career list. Pretty impressive company. Go Quinn! I hope he has many more games to add to a great career.

As Scheyer said before his senior night, hopefully Quinn's greatest memories at Duke haven't happened yet.
Quinn is now up to 30th on Duke's career point list with 1470 points and remains at 9th on Duke's career assist list with 494. He is also 9th in career 3 pointers made at 225, having recently passed coach Capel at 220 and former teammate Seth Curry at 223. Next up would be former teammate Andre Dawkins at 231.

Neals384
03-16-2015, 01:39 PM

I think the pollees were thinking in a fixed position mind-set, rather than K's "best five regardless of position" mindset. But it was Sheed, not Matt, that many thought would start at the "2", with Quinn backing up Tyus at the "1".

freshmanjs
03-16-2015, 01:50 PM
I think the pollees were thinking in a fixed position mind-set, rather than K's "best five regardless of position" mindset. But it was Sheed, not Matt, that many thought would start at the "2", with Quinn backing up Tyus at the "1".

why do people think that Coach K doesn't think about positions. he often talks about things like "moving Justise to the 4" or "playing Jabari at the 5." This is one of the several myths that somehow persists around here.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-16-2015, 02:07 PM
why do people think that Coach K doesn't think about positions. he often talks about things like "moving Justise to the 4" or "playing Jabari at the 5." This is one of the several myths that somehow persists around here.

BC Kenpom says so? :rolleyes:

MCFinARL
03-16-2015, 02:12 PM
Quinn is now up to 30th on Duke's career point list with 1470 points and remains at 9th on Duke's career assist list with 494. He is also 9th in career 3 pointers made at 225, having recently passed coach Capel at 220 and former teammate Seth Curry at 223. Next up would be former teammate Andre Dawkins at 231.

With any luck he will at least tie Andre, by continuing his string of at least one 3-pointer made per game to the end of the season--6 games from now.

NSDukeFan
03-16-2015, 02:24 PM
With any luck he will at least tie Andre, by continuing his string of at least one 3-pointer made per game to the end of the season--6 games from now.

I hope for your games played number, but I am kind of hoping that he might pass Andre this weekend.

SilkyJ
03-16-2015, 03:13 PM

Which, to the OP's point, says more about the posters than anything. The notion that K wouldn't play two PGs alongside each other, especially if both are really good, is ridiculous. K loves small ball (see: 1F (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?10527-DBR-Manifesto-%28AKA-Throaty-s-Handy-Pocket-Reference%29&p=672204#post672204)) and we've played two PGs alongside eachother multiple times: Paulus and Dockery started 30+ games alongside each other (putting JJ at the 3), we won a title with JWill and Cdu, and we played amaker and dawkins together.

Its not a myth in so much as we're playing two "1s" at the same time right now, and people like grant hill, kyle singler, demarcus nelson or chris carrawell play 4-5 positions over the course of their career. I tend to think this statement (about K not having positions) means that K has no problem playing non-traditional lineups and moving guys around quite a bit, which can create matchup problems. Clearly he's not the only one doing this (see Dame, Notre), but we still like to brag about it like he invented it.

Also, a lot of times when he talks about moving a guy to the 4, he's talking about the mutual defensive assignments (who Justise will guard and who will guard Justise), which matters from a match up perspective. Its kinda like saying "I'm putting in a lineup where Justise will be guarded by their 4," but its just shorter to do it the other way. That's at least how I think of it.

MCFinARL
03-16-2015, 04:24 PM
I hope for your games played number, but I am kind of hoping that he might pass Andre this weekend.

Yup, that would be okay with me too. :D

94duke
03-20-2015, 10:22 PM
from Al Featherston's article:
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2015/3/20/8262141/2015-ncaa-tournament-can-duke-reach-greatness

-- Senior Quinn Cook needs 10 points to reach 1,500 points for his career and five assists to get to 500 assists. Should he reach both milestones, he'll become just sixth player in Duke history to finish with 1,500 points and 500 assists, joining Johnny Dawkins, Danny Ferry, Bobby Hurley, Grant Hill and Jason Williams.

Quinn had 22 points and 5 assists tonight. That is some pretty elite company, Quinn. Congrats! Go Duke!

94duke
03-20-2015, 11:15 PM
from Al Featherston's article:
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2015/3/20/8262141/2015-ncaa-tournament-can-duke-reach-greatness

Quinn had 22 points and 5 assists tonight. That is some pretty elite company, Quinn. Congrats! Go Duke!

Although this says Grant "only" has 461 assists.
http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=181

NSDukeFan
03-24-2015, 10:11 AM

Quinn is now up to 502 career assists and could catch Wojo (505) for eighth and Danny Ferry (506) for seventh with a good weekend. Quinn also made 9! three pointers in Duke's first two NCAA games to pass Dre for 8th in career three pointers made at 234. To get to 7th he would need to hit 12 more to tie Shane Battier at 246 for 7th on Duke's career list. A run to next weekend would give him a chance. With his big weekend, I believe Quinn is now up to 1507 points to edge past Carlos Boozer for 29th on Duke's career points list. Next up would be Ronnie Mayer at 28th with 1509 points. 27th on the list is David Henderson with 1570 points. Go Quinn! Go Duke!

CDu
03-24-2015, 10:18 AM
Although this says Grant "only" has 461 assists.
http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/players/statlines.php?playerid=181

Yeah, Hill didn't get to 500 assists. And none of the other guys with 500 assists (Duhon, Wojo, Amaker, Snyder) came close to 1500 points. So that would make Cook just the fifth guy at Duke with that stat combo!

cato
03-24-2015, 11:22 AM
Yeah, Hill didn't get to 500 assists. And none of the other guys with 500 assists (Duhon, Wojo, Amaker, Snyder) came close to 1500 points. So that would make Cook just the fifth guy at Duke with that stat combo!

So, just to repeat the list: Johnny Dawkins, Danny Ferry, Bobby Hurley, Jason Williams and Quinn Cook.

That is some pretty impressive company.

Side note: can you imagine if JDub had stuck around for 4 years?

arnie
03-24-2015, 11:54 AM
So, just to repeat the list: Johnny Dawkins, Danny Ferry, Bobby Hurley, Jason Williams and Quinn Cook.

I've always liked Cook; even more when we consider the number of OADs he's teamed with. Different dynamics with each one, yet he's been a constant. His career will be even more special when we go to Indy.

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-24-2015, 03:39 PM
It may have been discussed elsewhere, but there was a fun article in the Washington Post on Cook's snarl, referred to by another poster as his "stank face".
Quinn Cook puts a senior’s snarl on the freshman face of Duke basketball (http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/03/21/quinn-cook-puts-a-seniors-snarl-on-the-freshman-face-of-duke-basketball/)

NSDukeFan
04-01-2015, 06:00 AM
Quinn is now up to 502 career assists and could catch Wojo (505) for eighth and Danny Ferry (506) for seventh with a good weekend. Quinn also made 9! three pointers in Duke's first two NCAA games to pass Dre for 8th in career three pointers made at 234. To get to 7th he would need to hit 12 more to tie Shane Battier at 246 for 7th on Duke's career list. A run to next weekend would give him a chance. With his big weekend, I believe Quinn is now up to 1507 points to edge past Carlos Boozer for 29th on Duke's career points list. Next up would be Ronnie Mayer at 28th with 1509 points. 27th on the list is David Henderson with 1570 points. Go Quinn! Go Duke!

With 21 points over the weekend, Quinn is now up to 1528 points and 28th on the Duke all-time scoring list. With his 3 assists, Quinn is now tied with Wojo for eighth in career assists with 505 and now has 235 career three-pointers for eighth on Duke's career list. Very impressive career at Duke, so far.

juise
04-04-2015, 01:52 AM
I loved this article (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/106545/dukes-quinn-cook-has-figured-out-how-to-get-the-title-he-wants) about Quinn's growth. There was definitely a lot of tough love for Quinn over the last few years. This article specifically discusses: Capel's calling him out for pouting on the bench as a freshman, K inviting his mom to the pit doing meeting to tell him it's time to grow up, and Nolan suggesting that Quinn used his own father's death as an excuse rather than motivation.

Wow, I am even more impressed by Quinn's attitude and leadership this year. He has helped this team reach great heights and I so badly want him to be rewarded with a title.

captmojo
04-04-2015, 10:42 AM
I hope one day, ESPN will have a 30 for 30 movie about him.

Just think...:D

Edouble
04-04-2015, 11:53 AM
I loved this article (http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/106545/dukes-quinn-cook-has-figured-out-how-to-get-the-title-he-wants) about Quinn's growth. There was definitely a lot of tough love for Quinn over the last few years. This article specifically discusses: Capel's calling him out for pouting on the bench as a freshman, K inviting his mom to the pit doing meeting to tell him it's time to grow up, and Nolan suggesting that Quinn used his own father's death as an excuse rather than motivation.

Wow, I am even more impressed by Quinn's attitude and leadership this year. He has helped this team reach great heights and I so badly want him to be rewarded with a title.

Wow, I teared up a little at that one. Thanks for the share. As Coach K said, very beautiful.

CDu
04-04-2015, 02:19 PM
Wow, I teared up a little at that one. Thanks for the share. As Coach K said, very beautiful.

Yeah, fabulous article. But I am reminded of Cook's leadership from early on. When we beat Kansas in Maui in Cook's frosh season. Thomas Robinson was clearly devastated, and in the post game you see Cook - arm wrapped around TRob, consoling him and giving him words of encouragement. Just a good kid going out of his way. Maybe his early years were bumpy, but I am thrilled for what he has done in becoming the defender and leader he has been this year. Let's hope he gets to cut down the nets one more time in a Duke uniform.

Neals384
04-05-2015, 11:41 PM

As reported above, only five Duke players have career totals of 1500 points and 500 assists. Here's the lists of Duke players with 1500 points, 500 assists and 80% career free throw %:
Quinn Cook

Duke12
04-06-2015, 11:51 AM
At the beginning of this year's Blue White Scrimmage, after Quinn was announced, he gathered the team on the band side baseline. The lights went out except for a spotlight on the 4 NC banners and then Quinn then pointed up to the banners for the full team to understand the ultimate goal. Image just came back to me today.

Stray Gator
04-07-2015, 03:17 AM
My wish for Quinn: A late-night confetti shower on April 6 at midcourt in Lucas Oil Stadium . . .

Wish granted. (And much appreciated.)

fuse
04-07-2015, 07:36 AM
Not sure I have the right words.
Without Quinn, this season is not as exciting, as rewarding, as joyous.

Quinn led this team, kept focused, and achieved his and the team's goal.

Congratulations Quinn- you and your Duke basketball family earned it together.
What a season, what a four year journey.

Thank you Quinn for growing into the player and person we all knew you are.

wsb3
04-07-2015, 07:51 AM
I am happy for all the players but I am especially happy for Quin. The holding Coach K's hand in the huddle each time without being told. I think the message was I am with you.

mcdukie
04-07-2015, 08:11 AM
Being from the DMV I have watched Quinn since he was in 9th grade and watching the player and person he has turned out to be is absolutely amazing. After leading Dematha to the City Title as a junior, the word on the street was that he was losing his focus hence the move to Oak Hil. When he picked Duke I wasn't sure if that was going to be a good fit. I even thought he would transfer. But he hung in there and matured so much as a player and a person. His senior year has been a treasure to watch, his leadership value sometime getting lost in others great play. Who would have thought when the season started he would be an All-American? For me he will leave Duke as one of my favorites.

Selover
04-07-2015, 09:17 AM
I vote we retire Nolan and Quinn both next year, it'll save some room in the rafters since we have other stuff to hang!

MCFinARL
04-07-2015, 01:30 PM
Quinn had four assists in the Final Four, for a career total of 509. to pass Danny Ferry for 7th all time. With 23 additional points, he finishes at 1551, still 29th (I think, though an earlier post says 28th) all time.

He also had no turnovers. Resident stat masters--do 4 assists and no turnovers put him ahead of Wojo for number one in career assist to turnover ratio?

I have been a big Quinn Cook fan all four years. I am really going to miss him--so happy he gets to go out with two banners.

ncexnyc
04-07-2015, 02:26 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I was so very wrong about this young man. I really didn't think he had it in him to accept Tyus as the team's PG and thought we'd be in for a season long pout fest. Man, talk about being wrong.

I guess this is what makes four year players so very special in my eyes and that's the fact that you watch these kids evolve into young men. The growth process is so very important to the evolution of a team.

Kedsy
04-07-2015, 04:27 PM
He also had no turnovers. Resident stat masters--do 4 assists and no turnovers put him ahead of Wojo for number one in career assist to turnover ratio?

Absolutely. If I count right, Quinn has totaled 509 assists to 201 turnovers (2.53) while Wojo had 505 assists to 202 turnovers (2.50).

But even without the higher math, Quinn appears to have four more assists than Wojo and 1 fewer turnover, which means he has Wojo beat. Pretty close, though.

weezie
04-07-2015, 08:54 PM
God bless our Quinn. Yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Here come those tears again.....

bjornolf
04-07-2015, 09:00 PM
All I have to say is thanks so much for a great career, Mr. Cook. I was proud to have you to cheer on. Sorry you never got your ACC title. Hope you can be content settling for a ring. ;^)

fuse
04-24-2015, 08:09 AM
No way this should be below page 1.

Quinn, Duke Nation thanks you for four years of representing Duke with your unique style.
It has been an honour to watch you play.

You will never be forgotten.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-24-2015, 08:45 AM
All I have to say is thanks so much for a great career, Mr. Cook. I was proud to have you to cheer on. Sorry you never got your ACC title. Hope you can be content settling for a ring. ;^)

Perhaps he can rest on his laurels for a few.

NSDukeFan
04-24-2015, 08:52 AM
With 21 points over the weekend, Quinn is now up to 1528 points and 28th on the Duke all-time scoring list. With his 3 assists, Quinn is now tied with Wojo for eighth in career assists with 505 and now has 235 career three-pointers for eighth on Duke's career list. Very impressive career at Duke, so far.

Duke's co-captain award winner, co-free-throw award winner and co-MVP added to his impressive career on championship weekend with 23 points to finish at 28th on Duke's all-time list with 1551 career points, 4 more assists to pass Danny Ferry for 7th all-time with 509 career assists and another 3-pointer to finish eighth all-time with 236. Oh, and he also captained the team to a Regional Championship and a National Championship. I would call that a pretty successful career at Duke.

Henderson
04-24-2015, 10:13 AM
No way this should be below page 1.

Quinn, Duke Nation thanks you for four years of representing Duke with your unique style.
It has been an honour to watch you play.

You will never be forgotten.

Thanks for bumping this. Quinn's four years represent an amazing story on so many levels.

So his plan for next year? The last draftexpress evaluation listed Quinn as something like the #82 prospect in this year's NBA draft, so he's likely to go undrafted. Will he seek workouts with NBA teams? Does he want to play professionally next year? Maybe see how the draft goes then look at other basketball opportunities? I'm sure there's a pro job out there for him somewhere, but I don't know his plans for the next few months.

MCFinARL
04-24-2015, 11:35 AM
Thanks for bumping this. Quinn's four years represent an amazing story on so many levels.

So his plan for next year? The last draftexpress evaluation listed Quinn as something like the #82 prospect in this year's NBA draft, so he's likely to go undrafted. Will he seek workouts with NBA teams? Does he want to play professionally next year? Maybe see how the draft goes then look at other basketball opportunities? I'm sure there's a pro job out there for him somewhere, but I don't know his plans for the next few months.

Sorry to say I can't remember where now, so no link, but I definitely saw a recent interview with Quinn online in which he said he was aiming for the NBA and that is what he would be working on next. So it sounds like he will probably seek workouts, see if he can get a summer league contract, etc. If that doesn't pay off then I guess he will make a decision about d-league versus playing abroad, but it sounds like he certainly intends to pay professionally if he can.

And PS--thanks, Quinn, for everything. You have been one of my favorite players since you arrived. So glad you went out on top, in every way.

theschwartz
04-24-2015, 01:59 PM
Echo everyone's sentiments. Will be weird not seeing Quinn in Duke Blue next season. Kid came a loooong way in his 4 years. I remember his freshman year, literally being angry anytime he was out on the court. His leap from freshman year to sophomore year was inspiring, as he became a steady point guard presence on a national title contending team. After a strange season as a junior and the ominous possibility that his role would be drastically reduced this year as a senior, he stepped up in such an awesome way. Not sure many players have had the career arc that he's had, but I'm sure he'll be tremendous role model to any other kids who might come in to Duke as a young stud, struggle initially and get down on themselves. I look forward to following Mr. Cook's path over the coming years, whether in basketball or out. Who knows? Maybe he'll put that theater degree to good use!

Edouble
04-25-2015, 02:55 PM
Echo everyone's sentiments. Will be weird not seeing Quinn in Duke Blue next season. Kid came a loooong way in his 4 years. I remember his freshman year, literally being angry anytime he was out on the court. His leap from freshman year to sophomore year was inspiring, as he became a steady point guard presence on a national title contending team. After a strange season as a junior and the ominous possibility that his role would be drastically reduced this year as a senior, he stepped up in such an awesome way. Not sure many players have had the career arc that he's had, but I'm sure he'll be tremendous role model to any other kids who might come in to Duke as a young stud, struggle initially and get down on themselves. I look forward to following Mr. Cook's path over the coming years, whether in basketball or out. Who knows? Maybe he'll put that theater degree to good use!

Agree. It was not so much as arc as it was an S-shape, as you describe. The closest that comes to mind is Chris Duhon, who peaked somewhat and showed much promise as a freshman (Quinn was a sophomore, in his case), but who never really got it all together again, as a star, until his senior year.

OldPhiKap
05-01-2015, 11:24 PM
QC's speech is up on GoDuke. Best 15 minutes you will spend on the internet this weekend.

MCFinARL
05-02-2015, 11:21 AM
QC's speech is up on GoDuke. Best 15 minutes you will spend on the internet this weekend.

Agree with that--it was an awesome speech. I especially liked the part where he said Coach Scheyer was his idol when he (Scheyer) was playing for Duke--except that Quinn thought he could have passed it to Nolan a few more times!

Ggallagher
05-02-2015, 11:59 AM
As if I needed anything else to illustrate how strongly Quinn felt about his experience, I stumbled across a video on Duke Blue Planet that really caught my attention. The video was taken as the team stood on the presentation stand after the game waiting for the first showing of "One Shining Moment". It's really not an especially high quality video, but what stood out for me was the fact that almost all the team was smiling, laughing, or otherwise looking excited just like you'd expect them too - except for Quinn, and you could see the tears coming down his face for most of the video. His emotional reaction was very different than his teammate's.

I'd link it, but when I went back and looked for it, I couldn't track it down. I'll poke around some more and see if I can find it again. Watching it was especially touching.

Henderson
05-02-2015, 12:18 PM
Any updates on what steps Quinn is taking toward next year and how things look?

Stray Gator
05-02-2015, 12:35 PM
As if I needed anything else to illustrate how strongly Quinn felt about his experience, I stumbled across a video on Duke Blue Planet that really caught my attention. The video was taken as the team stood on the presentation stand after the game waiting for the first showing of "One Shining Moment". It's really not an especially high quality video, but what stood out for me was the fact that almost all the team was smiling, laughing, or otherwise looking excited just like you'd expect them too - except for Quinn, and you could see the tears coming down his face for most of the video. His emotional reaction was very different than his teammate's.

I'd link it, but when I went back and looked for it, I couldn't track it down. I'll poke around some more and see if I can find it again. Watching it was especially touching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8trAlp4LUs

DukieInKansas
05-02-2015, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the link. One shining moment - be reverent. Coach speaks and team responds.

NSDukeFan
05-02-2015, 08:23 PM

Must be some dust in the air here, or the scent from chopping onions or something.