PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Clemson @ Duke, 4 pm February 21 (ESPN)

MChambers
02-20-2015, 08:24 AM
Time to move on from the discussion of our last game, against our former rival. The Tigers come to town, sporting a #84 ranking in Pomeroy, with the usual poor offense, good defense, and slow tempo.

Duke needs to win to stay in the hunt for the ACC regular season crown.

David Bunkley
02-20-2015, 08:35 AM
Time to move on from the discussion of our last game, against our former rival. The Tigers come to town, sporting a #84 ranking in Pomeroy, with the usual poor offense, good defense, and slow tempo.

Duke needs to win to stay in the hunt for the ACC regular season crown.

We need to put this one to bed early.

#GODUKE

NYBri
02-20-2015, 08:37 AM
Jah's ankle concers me.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-20-2015, 10:25 AM
I thought the season ended Wednesday evening? They are making us play more games? Unbelievable.

Hope that there is little suspense in this game - would love our end of bench guys to get some meaningful game minutes. Realistically, I'll be pleased with any outcome on the correct side of the ledger.

Bob Green
02-20-2015, 11:23 AM
Two questions immediately jump to the front of my mind:

1. Can the team avoid being emotionally flat?
2. Will Jahlil Okafor play?

Number one is the responsibility of the staff and senior Quinn Cook. I am confident the team will put the big victory in the rear view mirror move on. For number two, if Okafor is hobbled at all, I hope Coach K makes the decision to sit him for a game or two (if required). At this point in the season, the big picture takes precedence.

peterjswift
02-20-2015, 11:34 AM
I'm not too worried about the team being emotionally spent, nor am I worried that they will be too physically worn out. I think the UNC game was a real turning point. The amount of confidence that the game has to be giving our players is significant. Especially our freshman. While it isn't the first time they have come back to win a close game, it is the first time it has happened on such a big stage. The ensuring media storm and their elevation as campus heroes is nothing to sneeze at.

I don't think they're going to look at any deficit as "out of range" for the rest of the season, and I hope this confidence is such that they play so well they won't see a deficit moving forward.

I think the confidence has returned to October and November levels, where it was UK, Duke, and then everyone else. The players and skill that exists on this team is incredible, and a lot of the mis-steps that have happened along the way have been learning curves...and then the team used all of those "lessons" to come back and ultimately win the UNC game. In addition, the players confidence in their coaches, staff and Senior have to have increased....and I think this is all going to show up on the way they play both defense and offense. This means they will listen when Coach says a particular team isn't something to take lightly, and they will listen when he pulls them out and gives them in-game corrections. I know it was just a 2 point win against an inferior (on paper) opponent, but I think the benefit of the win dramatically exceeds the values of the box score.

jipops
02-20-2015, 11:45 AM
I'm expecting something similar to the GTech game here. With such a young group I think it will difficult to come out emotionally ready after such a draining victory the other night. I think it will be ugly and tight throughout the entire game, regardless of whether Jahlil plays or not. We will not be putting this one away early. Clemson has to be loving this because they are playing us at the perfect time, primed for an upset.

FerryFor50
02-20-2015, 11:50 AM
This looks like it could be a letdown game. Good thing they've had a few days to rest up.

Clemson is another physical, aggressive team that can't really shoot. We seem to have a lot of those in the ACC, don't we?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/clemson/2015.html

They are #28 in kenpom for defense #204 in offense. They shoot 30% from 3 and 41% overall. However, that just means they'll shoot out of their minds against Duke, a la FSU. Their best 3pt shooter, Demarcus Harrison, is shooting 35%. Sounds like a great game to play some zone!

They will bring a ton of energy, but I am glad this isn't at Littlejohn. I'd be more concerned then.

Their leading scorer is Jaron Blossingame, who lit Duke up last season in Littlejohn (14 pts, 14 boards).

They have a pretty large front line, but despite that, they don't rebound great. They're 90th in the country in total rebounds, but 4th in the ACC.

If Okafor can't play, I worry a little that they'll crush Duke on the glass. If Okafor plays, expect Nnoko to get worked over pretty good.

Only slightly concerned with this game, more concerned if Okafor can't play. Duke will have to find a way to match Clemson's always high energy level after a big emotional win over UNC.

Troublemaker
02-20-2015, 04:55 PM
Interesting twist: http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/Jaron-Blossomgame-injury-update-18755 :

Clemson coach Brad Brownell told the media on Friday afternoon that redshirt sophomore forward Jaron Blossomgame (http://www.tigernet.com/clemson-basketball/player/Jaron-Blossomgame-29) tweeked his ankle yesterday. He is currently in a walking boot and was held from practice today.

Brownell says that he hopes that Blossomgame will play at Duke but he will not be at 100 percent. "It will be painful. Will he warm up and play the first five minutes and then it doesn't feel right?," Brownell said to the media. "He will want to play, but we don't want to risk further injury."

Blossomgame is averaging a solid 12.9 points, 8.1 rebounds and an assist per game (30.7 min) this season.

sagegrouse
02-20-2015, 04:59 PM
Interesting twist: http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/Jaron-Blossomgame-injury-update-18755 :

Clemson coach Brad Brownell told the media on Friday afternoon that redshirt sophomore forward Jaron Blossomgame (http://www.tigernet.com/clemson-basketball/player/Jaron-Blossomgame-29) tweeked his ankle yesterday. He is currently in a walking boot and was held from practice today.

Brownell says that he hopes that Blossomgame will play at Duke but he will not be at 100 percent. "It will be painful. Will he warm up and play the first five minutes and then it doesn't feel right?," Brownell said to the media. "He will want to play, but we don't want to risk further injury."

Blossomgame is averaging a solid 12.9 points, 8.1 rebounds and an assist per game (30.7 min) this season.

Aha! K was employing "coach think:" a really good player was injured in a game and his coach won't say whether he will play the following game. Brad Brownell is employing the same device with Blossomgame -- I expect to get even with Coach K.

Kedsy
02-20-2015, 06:22 PM
While it isn't the first time they have come back to win a close game, it is the first time it has happened on such a big stage.

Playing undefeated Virginia in Charlottesville wasn't a big stage?

Also, the potential downside of getting multiple big comeback wins is the players might relax during games against perceived inferior opponents, assuming they'll be able to come back and win the game with 5 minutes of great effort. This seems to happen somewhat often with very young teams. Not saying it'll happen to this year's team, just that there's a flip side to all the good things you've mentioned.

dukelifer
02-20-2015, 08:56 PM
Two questions immediately jump to the front of my mind:

1. Can the team avoid being emotionally flat?
2. Will Jahlil Okafor play?

Number one is the responsibility of the staff and senior Quinn Cook. I am confident the team will put the big victory in the rear view mirror move on. For number two, if Okafor is hobbled at all, I hope Coach K makes the decision to sit him for a game or two (if required). At this point in the season, the big picture takes precedence.

Quinn, Justise and Tyus need to dominate this game. Also, Duke will need Marshall to bound and play good D. Duke will have to gut this one out. Just looking for win. It will likely be ugly unless Duke shoots well from 3. I agree that it is not worth risking a greater Okafor injury and playing without him might actually get the team to play with more energy.

jimsumner
02-20-2015, 10:14 PM
Playing undefeated Virginia in Charlottesville wasn't a big stage?

Also, the potential downside of getting multiple big comeback wins is the players might relax during games against perceived inferior opponents, assuming they'll be able to come back and win the game with 5 minutes of great effort. This seems to happen somewhat often with very young teams. Not saying it'll happen to this year's team, just that there's a flip side to all the good things you've mentioned.

Coming from behind in Madison Square Garden in one of the most-hyped games of the season might also qualify as a big stage.

FerryFor50
02-20-2015, 10:19 PM
Coming from behind in Madison Square Garden in one of the most-hyped games of the season might also qualify as a big stage.

What was momentous about that night again? :p

jv001
02-20-2015, 10:21 PM
Winning an away game at Louisville wasn't bad and winning anytime at Wisconsin is a great win. GoDuke!

DU82
02-20-2015, 11:28 PM
Winning at Florida State, given our recent history there, was pretty big, too!

Newton_14
02-20-2015, 11:53 PM
I thought the season ended Wednesday evening? They are making us play more games? Unbelievable.

Hope that there is little suspense in this game - would love our end of bench guys to get some meaningful game minutes. Realistically, I'll be pleased with any outcome on the correct side of the ledger.

We have "end of bench guys"?? :)

Just win baby. 1 point, 20 points, I don't care. Just win.

If Jah can't go we have 1 center and 7 total players. Crazy times. Hopefully he is healthy enough to at least give 15 minutes or so. We need Quinn, Tyus, Justise, and Amile to have strong games.

Nice bounce back game for Amile against the cheats. Have to disagree with those who feel he only played well early. He had a very strong 2nd Half and only came out for the small ball line up with 4 minutes to go in regulation. The guy had a heck of a game actually. Need that again tomorrow.

Go Duke!

gumbomoop
02-21-2015, 01:39 AM
If Jah can't go we have 1 center and 7 total players.

Cannot risk further injury. Our guys can beat both Clemson and VT without Jahlil. Arguably, the guys would be more psyched for Clemson and VT, less chance of let-up or lethargy after Classic. Shouldn't need any pep talk from Quinn or Amile. Magnificent Seven.

Three interior players, including Justise at 4, Amile logging time at both 4 and 5, Marshall getting ~ 20 (minutes).

Four perimeter players. Tyus and Quinn won't get much rest, Matt is ready, and Grayson gets his chance. To lead the team in scoring.

Q: "Why did you come to Duke, Grayson?"

A: "To win games for Jahlil when he's temporarily sidelined. Gimme the ball."

gumbomoop
02-21-2015, 03:11 AM
Clemson is dangerous because desperate and defensively strong. They're trying to reach bubble by ACCT. To do so, they surely believe they can beat GT and NCSt in Littlejohn, and must upset either Duke or ND on road. Defensive, desperate, dangerous, definitely growling if Jahlil is out.

Still, Jahlil-less Duke is better. We match up pretty well size-wise, and very well talent-wise, momentum-wise, coach-wise, crowd-wise. Without Jahlil, no lethargy. Very wise.

PG - Rod Hall v. Tyus. Both are tough, Hall better defensively, but he can't dominate Tyus.
SG - Demarcus Harrison v. Quinn. Harrison bigger, but he much prefers 3-bombing to driving. Quinn shoots better in both categories. Jordan Roper plays some at 2, likes to shoot 3s, only decent % (32). Grayson should get a chance, here or at wing/3.
SF - Donte Grantham v. Justise/Matt. Grantham, tall/lean, leads Tigers in 3-attempts, but shoots only 28%, and 52% FT. I'd guess Matt guards him a lot.
PF - Unclear whether Jaron Blossomgame plays. Educated guess is yes. Their best O-player, but lousy 3-bomber. Good rebounder. Amile/Justise to guard him if he plays. If by chance he doesn't, Duke will be confident to the danger point of overconfidence, even if Jahlil is also out.
C - Landry Nnoko, backed by Sidy Djitte, both big guys. Nnoko can block shots. Without Jahlil, we'll need Marshall to play a whole lot, and Amile to play strong when he's at the 5.

Overall, Tigers are good D, no good O. Surprises me that they take about as many 3s/game as we do, just don't hit nearly as high a % (30% to Duke's 39%). My biggest concern might be that sometimes opponents find CIS a very good shooting arena, close, even comfortable. (Bad memories of Miami game.). Status of Blossomgame and Jahlil is big wild card. Even if Blossomgame plays at 80% and Jahlil is out, Duke is solidly better. I'm going to assume no letdown, no lethargy from players or Crazies. Tigers are not Heels, for which we should be grateful, but also determined.

subzero02
02-21-2015, 04:14 AM
As of now, there is still no line for this game on vegas insider. Okafor's status controls all.

jv001
02-21-2015, 10:59 AM
The odds makers have Duke favored by 15.5 points. I'll settle for a one point win with no further injuries against a rugged Clemson Tiger team. GoDuke!

TruBlu
02-21-2015, 11:12 AM
The odds makers have Duke favored by 15.5 points. I'll settle for a one point win with no further injuries against a rugged Clemson Tiger team. GoDuke!

If the odds makers have the line at 15.5, Jah must be expected to play and is 100% healthy. :)

(I hope)

AIRFORCEDUKIE
02-21-2015, 11:17 AM
I hope this game isn't stressful, I don't get off work until 3:30 so this will be my wind down time. I'd prefer it to be an enjoyable experience and not a edge of your seat thrill fest.

Olympic Fan
02-21-2015, 11:32 AM

True story ... Duke and Kentucky were scheduled to meet in the 1966 Final Four, but on Sunday night before the Friday night game, All-American guard Bob Verga was taken to Duke Hospital with a throat infection. He was in bad shape and nobody knew if or how much he'd be able to play against Kentucky. But several days before the game, Adolph Rupp announced that his point guard, Larry Conley, was in the infirmary with the flu and he wasn't sure if or how much Conley would play against Duke.

Well, the game came and Verga tried to play, but was totally ineffective (four points on 2-of-7 shooting. Conley started, went the distance and played his normal game -- Kentucky won by four.

Just over three years later, in December of 1969, Duke visited Lexington for the Kentucky Invitational Tournament. During the shootaround on the day before Duke played Dayton in the first round, a Kentucky assistant was there bragging that Rupp had pulled a fast one in '66 -- there was nothing wrong with Conley, but Rupp had put him in the infirmary and put of the story he was sick so that Duke wouldn't gain a psychological advantage. Even the rest of his team didn't know what he had done.

Wonder if Brownell ever studied under Rupp (or a Rupp disciple)?

As for today's game, I was watching the post-UNC game interviews on Blue Planet and I was encouraged by Quinn Cook's words: "I don't think we have done a good job of responding after a big win. We can't have a hangover."

Coming from a captain and the clear team leader, I will be interested to see how that translates against Clemson.

Others have described the Tigers well -- very, very good defense ... very erratic offense. They have a veteran playmaker in Rod Hall. Nnoko is very good defensively, but he's not great on the boards and has no offensive game. They don't have a lot of size -- Nnoko, Djitte plays a bit ... then it drops down to 6-8 Josh Smith. Blossomgame (6-7) is their best rebounder.

It's a game Duke should be able to win, especially in Cameron and especially if Okafor plays close to his potential.

I'd be really worried if this game was in Littlejohn. We've lost two of the last three there ... but they haven't won in Cameron since 1995.

subzero02
02-21-2015, 12:33 PM
As someone stated earlier the spread is currently 15.5 at most of the sports books. A few have it at 15 right now; it opened at 16.5. Both Okafor and Blossomgame are still listed as questionable.

Duke3517
02-21-2015, 01:05 PM
Might see more Marshall this game. Hopefully Duke builds a big enough lead so they can manage Okafor's minutes.

NashvilleDevil
02-21-2015, 01:24 PM
Might see more Marshall this game. Hopefully Duke builds a big enough lead so they can manage Okafor's minutes.

This is important and also Coach K needs to limit Jones and Cook's time on the court together right?

Selover
02-21-2015, 01:55 PM
Scored some last minute tickets from the iron dukes exchange. First ACC game im Cameron! Cant wait!!

DukieInBrasil
02-21-2015, 02:24 PM

actually Duke has built its biggest leads in multiple games with MP3 on the floor, not Okafor. Duke was up 13 with MP3 on the floor vs. UNC. Okafor came in and Duke went into halftime with a 7 pt lead. MP3 was on the bench the entire second half, and UNC went up by 10. Of course Duke tied it with MP3 still on the bench, though.

Troublemaker
02-21-2015, 03:11 PM
As someone stated earlier the spread is currently 15.5 at most of the sports books.

With Jah not playing, the line is down to 13.5 already

subzero02
02-21-2015, 03:12 PM
With Jahlil out, we're now favored by 13.5... And falling

Troublemaker
02-21-2015, 03:27 PM
I think we cover.

Been hoping all season that Marshall would give Jah more rest during games. Now, Jah sits for a full-game breather :-)

Been hoping that we play a bit more smallball. Now, we probably get 30+ minutes of it, as I figure Amile and Marshall will do a lot of alternating at center.

Wouldn't want to be without Jah long-term, but for one game, the team can galvanize and hold the fort.

Kedsy
02-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Wouldn't want to be without Jah long-term, but for one game, the team can galvanize and hold the fort.

I agree. I have to admit I'm a bit excited to see how Marshall responds to playing 20+ minutes. I'm hoping for a double-double, with multiple blocks, but we'll have to see how it goes.

Tripping William
02-21-2015, 03:38 PM
I think we cover.

Only if Cook and TJones don't play at the same time. :rolleyes:

-jk
02-21-2015, 03:45 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

MaxAMillion
02-21-2015, 03:52 PM
I think we cover.

Been hoping all season that Marshall would give Jah more rest during games. Now, Jah sits for a full-game breather :-)

Been hoping that we play a bit more smallball. Now, we probably get 30+ minutes of it, as I figure Amile and Marshall will do a lot of alternating at center.

I don't expect a lot. I think the more Plumlee plays the more his weaknesses become apparent. I think Jones will have to play a lot because I don't think you can put Jefferson and Plumlee on the court together for long stretches. The offense will be too limited.

riverside6
02-21-2015, 03:56 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Clemson, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/clemson-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-02212015

fgb
02-21-2015, 04:02 PM
could be nice experience at the right time for plums and the team. a la casey sanders.

porkpa
02-21-2015, 04:22 PM
Who is the big dude sitting on the bench next to Jah? He's on Jah's left. He looks to be wearing a denim shirt.

gumbomoop
02-21-2015, 04:26 PM
Who is the big dude sitting on the bench next to Jah? He's on Jah's left. He looks to be wearing a denim shirt.

Sean Obi, transfer from Rice, eligible next season.

gumbomoop
02-21-2015, 04:39 PM
Grayson should be saying, "Gimme the ball." Run some more plays for him, and for Justise.

MChambers
02-21-2015, 04:55 PM
Seems like we do a lot better without that guy Okafor!

fgb
02-21-2015, 05:02 PM
justise is going to the NBA at halftime.

gcashwell
02-21-2015, 05:03 PM
Beautiful game plan by coach K.

wilson
02-21-2015, 05:08 PM
Under the circumstances, I don't see any way that first half could have gone any better. Really nice all-around play so far...good ball movement, solid balance on offense, and strong D.
And Justise...my goodness.

Dukehky
02-21-2015, 05:10 PM
Under the circumstances, I don't see any way that first half could have gone any better. Really nice all-around play so far...good ball movement, solid balance on offense, and strong D.

Well, we could have hit some 3's, but the game plan was perfect.

K is, um, good at his job.

bbosbbos
Winslow is very very good. Do I see a James Lebron in Duke uniform?

MartyClark
I'll state the obvious. Winslow is really good. He is so dangerous on the break.

This may be a bit of a breakout game for Grayson Allen. I hope he gets some time in the second half and continues to score.

Good game so far. How can anyone not like this team?

Tripping William
02-21-2015, 05:13 PM

The lineup with Cook & TJones gave up way too many points. ;-)

NashvilleDevil
02-21-2015, 05:29 PM
The Cook and Jones lineup is not scoring enough points. The lull is upon us

gumbomoop
02-21-2015, 05:30 PM
DeVoe has hit 7% of his 3s this season, 1 for 14. Today, 2-2.

DU82
02-21-2015, 05:41 PM
During the TO, Marshall is trying to walk off an injury.

Selover
02-21-2015, 05:49 PM
Is that Ingram behind the bench?

Lunchab1es
02-21-2015, 05:57 PM
Do my eyes deceive me or did Quinn just execute the Top Gun high five-low five combo?

Tripping William
02-21-2015, 05:59 PM
The Cook and Jones lineup is not scoring enough points. The lull is upon us

I'm thinking everyone on this Clemson team is battling plantar fasciitis.

GDT
02-21-2015, 06:00 PM
What a sequence of wonderful passing!

bbosbbos
02-21-2015, 06:06 PM
It is him. He went to UNC game this noon and then is in CIS.

Is that Ingram behind the bench?