PDA

View Full Version : Louisville's Chris Jones Suspended

FerryFor50
02-17-2015, 08:05 PM
http://www.wlky.com/sports/Chris-Jones-suspended-from-UofL-basketball-team/31324796

Probably just a one game thing.

Green Wave Dukie
02-17-2015, 08:15 PM
Saw him play once in high school when he spent 1 year in Greensboro. He was an incredible shooter that night, but from what I was hearing then, this is not that surprising. Hopefully the discipline helps him in the long run.

vick
02-17-2015, 09:04 PM
http://www.wlky.com/sports/Chris-Jones-suspended-from-UofL-basketball-team/31324796

Probably just a one game thing.

Potentially a big hit if longer--he's been great in conference play, arguably a stronger statistical profile than Jerian Grant (not that he is as good a player, but that tells you how productive he's been).

FerryFor50
02-17-2015, 09:06 PM
Potentially a big hit if longer--he's been great in conference play, arguably a stronger statistical profile than Jerian Grant (not that he is as good a player, but that tells you how productive he's been).

Yea, he's been an All-ACC contender.

I've read that it was non-basketball related and Jeff Goodman tweeted that it could be a longer suspension than a game.

We shall see. Pitino's track record on this sort of thing is pretty light.

Olympic Fan
02-18-2015, 02:55 AM

This assertion shocked me ... and made me look it up.

Jones is actually closer to Grant than I expected, but I can't see that his statistical profile is stronger ... or even quite as good.

In conference play only, Grant is averaging more points (16.7 to 15.9) and more assists (6.2 to 4.8) while shooting a higher percentage from the field (47.4 to 44.1). Grant has the best assist total and the best assist-to-turnover ratio in the ACC. He has more steals in ACC play than Jones (2.08 a game to 2.0 a game).

Jones has hit three more 3-pointers than Grant and is a slightly better rebounder ... he's shooting one percentage point better from the foul line, but Grant gets to the foul line much more often.

On Pomeroy's site, Grant's advanced stats are significantly better than Jones' (for instance, his overall offensive rating is 20 points higher than Jones), although that encompasses the entire season and not just conference play. But it's not nearly as close as the raw stats look.

I just don't see it. Jones has been much better in conference play -- second only to Rozier in offensive efficiency on his own team (ahead of Harrell). But I don't see numbers that suggest he's been a stronger or more efficient player in ACC play than Grant.

Plus, of course, Grant is the best player on a team that is ahead of Louisville in the standings.

porkpa
02-18-2015, 07:56 AM
I don't recall Rick Pitino being suspended for his exploits in that restaurant. I guess that he had a good excuse. It probably wasn't in violation of team rules.

vick
02-18-2015, 08:00 AM
This assertion shocked me ... and made me look it up.

Jones is actually closer to Grant than I expected, but I can't see that his statistical profile is stronger ... or even quite as good.

In conference play only, Grant is averaging more points (16.7 to 15.9) and more assists (6.2 to 4.8) while shooting a higher percentage from the field (47.4 to 44.1). Grant has the best assist total and the best assist-to-turnover ratio in the ACC. He has more steals in ACC play than Jones (2.08 a game to 2.0 a game).

Jones has hit three more 3-pointers than Grant and is a slightly better rebounder ... he's shooting one percentage point better from the foul line, but Grant gets to the foul line much more often.

On Pomeroy's site, Grant's advanced stats are significantly better than Jones' (for instance, his overall offensive rating is 20 points higher than Jones), although that encompasses the entire season and not just conference play. But it's not nearly as close as the raw stats look.

I just don't see it. Jones has been much better in conference play -- second only to Rozier in offensive efficiency on his own team (ahead of Harrell). But I don't see numbers that suggest he's been a stronger or more efficient player in ACC play than Grant.

Plus, of course, Grant is the best player on a team that is ahead of Louisville in the standings.

I don't want to belabor the point because I think we're all in agreement--Grant is a much better player than Jones--but if I had to make the case based purely on conference play stats, I'd argue that as offensive players they're close, with Grant narrowly ahead: Grant 115 ORtg on 26% usage, Jones 111 on 27% usage (also I think Grant was closer to 112 or so before last night's game). It ultimately depends on whether you would give Jones much, if any, individual credit for Louisville being a much better defensive team than Notre Dame. I don't think he's been as good a player--that it's even vaguely close statistically just speaks to 12 or so games not really being all that much basketball when you get down to it.

By the way, you can get conference-only stats from Pomeroy by clicking the "expanded player page" under a team.

slower
02-18-2015, 08:12 AM
The few times I've seen him play, I would describe him as the player most likely to shoot his team OUT of a game.

oldnavy
02-18-2015, 09:14 AM
The few times I've seen him play, I would describe him as the player most likely to shoot his team OUT of a game.

Clooney from CUSE gets my vote for that honor!

vick
02-22-2015, 03:52 PM
Now dismissed from team (https://twitter.com/KKcards/status/569598165852282880).

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-22-2015, 04:05 PM
Now dismissed from team (https://twitter.com/KKcards/status/569598165852282880).
Wait... so they brought him back for one win, got what they needed and then dumped him? How do you go from suspended to reinstated to kicked off in a matter of just a few days?

Chillduck
02-22-2015, 04:16 PM
They did almost the same thing with Chane Behanan last year. That is why I respect what Coach K did in the Sulaimon situation. There was no waffling back and forth like Rick Pitino does.

BD80
02-22-2015, 04:20 PM
They did almost the same thing with Chanel ... last year. ... waffling back and forth like Rick Pitino does.

I thought Chanel was always in fashion, no matter the season ...

But then I can't tell the difference between dark blue and black ...

Chillduck
02-22-2015, 04:22 PM
Love auto-correct!

gumbomoop
02-22-2015, 04:26 PM
Love auto-correct!

Auto-correct is pretty close to being automatically incorrect.

gurufrisbee
02-22-2015, 07:07 PM
Huge hit for Louisville. They have no depth at all and Jones was one of only four guys with any offensive ability at all (and one of only three with any consistency). They will still be very solid defensively, but they don't nearly have enough offense to win multiple games in the tournament now.