PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Mullins video and retrospective

Jim3k
02-17-2015, 01:36 AM
Maybe this has been posted here before, but if so, I never saw it. Jeff was a senior All-American on Duke's 1964 team that went to the national championship game.

For those people who think players from the 1960s couldn't play in today's NBA. Think again. Courtesy of the Warriors and YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOGRY9YBcPo).

Enjoy. Sorry there isn't more video.

Bob Green
02-17-2015, 06:42 AM
Jeff Mullins at Duke predates my memory. Although I know I watched the 1964 National Championship game on TV because my Dad has told me I did, the first players I have a memory of watching are Bob Verga and Mike Lewis so 1966 or 67 is as far back as I can go. I do have memories of watching Mullins play for the Golden State Warriors.

An interesting fact about Mullins:

Mullins holds one interesting distinction - he's the only player in Duke (or ACC) history to score in double figures in every one of his career games.*

* Alwyn Featherston, Game of my Life (Sports Publishing L.L.C.: 2007) p. 47

wsb3
02-17-2015, 07:41 AM
Jeff Mullins was my first favorite player on Duke. My love of Duke Basketball dates back to his career and that first run to a National Championship game where sadly they lost to UCLA..

He was indeed a very good NBA player.

Olympic Fan
02-17-2015, 01:06 PM
Of course, the great story about Mullins is that Vic Bubas stole him fro right under Adolph Rupp's nose in Lexington, Ky.

The secret was that Jeff actually grew up in New York and only moved to Lexington for his last three years of high school He was a prep teammate on Jon Speaks, a sweet-shooting guard who Vic recruited for NC State. He was Vic's last recruit for Ev Case ... if Cameron had not hired Bubas when he did, Jeff probably ends up at NC State.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-17-2015, 01:32 PM
Jeff Mullins was quite a talented basketball player who also happens to embody an outgoing, winning personality. Given Artie's explosive outbursts, Art Heyman and Jeff Mullins were something of an odd couple in terms of contrasting personalities, but on the court.... DYNOMITE!

For those who have come along long after Jeff and Artie played at Duke, it may seem improbable that Duke basketball was so remarkable that many years ago before Coach K arrived at Duke. I would compare Coach Bubas and his influence on the game of college basketball to Coach Wade and his influence on college football. That these outstanding men were at Duke at various times in history is an indicator of how Duke has been in the center of so much we now take granted in sports history. Jeff Mullins was such a central figure in making Duke the program everybody wants to beat, the same Duke program which other schools have copied in how they practice, the division of recruiting duties and so much more.

DisplacedBlueDevil
02-18-2015, 05:54 PM
My first memory in life was watching Jeff Mullins at the Indoor Stadium in 1964 - I was 3 years old. I remember being excited by the fans cheering for someone with my name! I can't put a date on anything before that memory. Jeff was a senior and Heyman had left, so his scoring numbers were phenomenal that season.

I went to the Blue-White game in 2007 and who walks down the row in front of me? I stuck out my hand and mumbled, "Your still my favorite Duke player of all time." He smiled and thanked me.

When people ask me why I'm a Duke fan, my explanation always begins with, "Let me tell you about my first memory on this planet..."