PDA

View Full Version : Signs Allowed ??

littlejohn
02-16-2015, 10:32 PM
I read the forum everyday, but seldom post, however, I have seen several "reports" in other places about signs being confiscated from students by ESPN. I understand the need, or desire, of both DUKE & ESPN not allowing F*CK YOU signs to be televised, along with similar such wording. I'm an old timer, class of 74, and live on the left coast, so it has been several years since I have been to a game in Cameron, but allowing someone to take your sign doesn't sound like the Crazies I was, know, and love.

These posts, if true, raise several questions for me:

1) Is it true that Duke allows an outside party (not counting police & or other authority), such as ESPN, to confiscate private property of students on school grounds ? Under what right is this allowed ?

2) If true, can they (ESPN) bar a student from entering Cameron with a sign they don't like ? Again, under what legal right ?

3) The Wainstein report is public record, paid for by unc, and is totally fair game for the Crazies, from my perspective. Why wouldn't you use this if you were a fan in the stands ? Have the Crazies become so timid, that they allow this (again, if true) infringement on their rights ?

4) If ESPN, or even Coach K, does't like students deriding unc for cheating, too bad in my book. You want student support, you also have to earn it, which means a public cheating scandal should be fair game for the crazies.

Personally I would love to see only two students in the student section at the beginning of the game, which would be a situation that ESPN could't ignore. They would be holding a long banner between them:

"In order to compete, you cheated for 20 years...not our rivals."

uh_no
02-16-2015, 10:44 PM
I read the forum everyday, but seldom post, however, I have seen several "reports" in other places about signs being confiscated from students by ESPN. I understand the need, or desire, of both DUKE & ESPN not allowing F*CK YOU signs to be televised, along with similar such wording. I'm an old timer, class of 74, and live on the left coast, so it has been several years since I have been to a game in Cameron, but allowing someone to take your sign doesn't sound like the Crazies I was, know, and love.

1) Is it true that Duke allows an outside party (not counting police & or other authority), such as ESPN, to confiscate private property of students on school grounds ? Under what right is this allowed ?
The fact that you're on duke property by duke's permission, and they can require anything they want of you. If you don't want them to take your sign, you can leave.

2) If true, can they (ESPN) bar a student from entering Cameron with a sign they don't like ? Again, under what legal right ?
That cameron is private property, and duke can bar anyone they want to from entering (less some anti-discrimination things that get them benefits like federal money)

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-16-2015, 10:49 PM
To the best of my knowledge, ESPN doesn't screen students or anyone else coming into Cameron.

Some years ago, Duke contracted with an events management firm which supplies the folks to process folks at the door, check handbags and the like. It's easy to recognize these contract employees because of the bright yellow jackets or shirts they wear.

Duvall
02-16-2015, 10:58 PM

I have no idea whether ESPN has or has attempted to get Duke to ban any signs of any kind from Cameron. But if they did, surely the Golden Rule would provide explanation enough for Duke's compliance. (http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-new-espn-contract-increases-acc-media-revenue-by-30-percent-20120509-story.html)

3) The Wainstein report is public record, paid for by unc, and is totally fair game for the Crazies, from my perspective. Why wouldn't you use this if you were a fan in the stands ? Have the Crazies become so timid, that they allow this (again, if true) infringement on their rights ?

4) If ESPN, or even Coach K, does't like students deriding unc for cheating, too bad in my book. You want student support, you also have to earn it, which means a public cheating scandal should be fair game for the crazies.

I have no idea how Mike Krzyzewski feels about students mocking UNC for its cheating scandal. But he has often expressed a preference that Duke fans root for Duke, and if some of the students happen to agree I see no reason why any of us should think less of them for it.

duketaylor
02-16-2015, 11:26 PM
I have never heard anything about espn trying to control anything in CIS. ESPN does, IIRC, "plant" signs for College Gameday, both hoops and fball. Much like unc will pipe-in crowd noise (as do other teams in both hoops and fball). NFL Network, much to my dismay, simulates crowd noise a lot, especially for their replays of games when they show the condensed versions the week after the games were played.

UrinalCake
02-17-2015, 01:07 PM
What I heard is that it was ESPN that confiscated the signs as students entered the stadium. As part of their "Game Day" broadcast, they sign agreements with each school that hosts the event in which the school agrees that ESPN has the right to prohibit any signs they want. As the OP mentioned, it makes sense that they need to control what goes on the air; they can't have profanity or sexual content or anything like that (although they seemed fine with Maryland students wearing "F--- Redick" and "Duck Fuke" and similar shirts). But in this case, confiscating scandal-related signs seems to me to be entirely driven by the fact that the CEO of ESPN is a UNC grad.

Here's a thread I started on the subject after last year's game: http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?33378-Censorship-in-Cameron

I'm fortunate enough to be going to the game this year as a grad student. Planning to bring some signs and see what happens.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
02-17-2015, 02:56 PM
What I heard is that it was ESPN that confiscated the signs as students entered the stadium. As part of their "Game Day" broadcast, they sign agreements with each school that hosts the event in which the school agrees that ESPN has the right to prohibit any signs they want. As the OP mentioned, it makes sense that they need to control what goes on the air; they can't have profanity or sexual content or anything like that (although they seemed fine with Maryland students wearing "F--- Redick" and "Duck Fuke" and similar shirts). But in this case, confiscating scandal-related signs seems to me to be entirely driven by the fact that the CEO of ESPN is a UNC grad.

Here's a thread I started on the subject after last year's game: http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?33378-Censorship-in-Cameron

I'm fortunate enough to be going to the game this year as a grad student. Planning to bring some signs and see what happens.

Well yea if they show F--- Redick and Duck Fuke signs then they will get more clicks on their website.

MCFinARL
02-17-2015, 03:14 PM

Though I understand the desire to bring signs mocking UNC, for the scandal or otherwise, I hope someone will also have signs or a banner honoring/remembering Dean Smith. Pitt students did this before their game with UNC and it was very classy.

devildeac
02-17-2015, 03:27 PM
Though I understand the desire to bring signs mocking UNC, for the scandal or otherwise, I hope someone will also have signs or a banner honoring/remembering Dean Smith. Pitt students did this before their game with UNC and it was very classy.

Tin foil halos and "welcome honored guests" signs?

;)

uh_no
02-17-2015, 03:39 PM
Tin foil halos and "welcome fellow scholars" signs?

;)

Fixed that for you :)

devildeac
02-17-2015, 03:51 PM
Fixed that for you :)

Awesome. That's even better than the 1984 version after the avuncular letter. Native, AncientPsychicT, Cell-R and other current students, err, scholars, are you reading this?;)

grad_devil
02-17-2015, 03:55 PM
..Pitt students did this before their game with UNC and it was very classy.

But did you see which Smith quote they used? It was the one (paraphrasing) that said: "You should never be proud of doing the right thing, you should just do the right thing!"

I got the feeling - correct or not - that the quote was chosen as a slap in the UNC-CH's face, regarding their long running athletic/academic scandal. Was I the only one?

alteran
02-17-2015, 04:10 PM
But did you see which Smith quote they used? It was the one (paraphrasing) that said: "You should never be proud of doing the right thing, you should just do the right thing!"

I got the feeling - correct or not - that the quote was chosen as a slap in the UNC-CH's face, regarding their long running athletic/academic scandal. Was I the only one?

No, you were not.

I'd love it if we did the same thing. My assumption is that if Cameron does anything that is not fawning, we'll get jumped on.

But it'd be hard to ding us for something Pitt got unceasing praise for.

Dukehky
02-17-2015, 06:01 PM
The folks in the yellow jackets (Duke hired security) are the ones that confiscate signs before the game (and during the game if you sneak it in). They are tyrannical. You can't have anything funny/mean in there. But from my experience it's Duke, not ESPN that takes signs. You are not going to get a poster with the Sports Illustrated Cover with the North Carolina F on the jersey into the game, and if you do, it's going to be up for a minute, then they will throw you out of the stadium.

uh_no
02-17-2015, 06:45 PM
The folks in the yellow jackets (Duke hired security) are the ones that confiscate signs before the game (and during the game if you sneak it in). They are tyrannical. You can't have anything funny/mean in there. But from my experience it's Duke, not ESPN that takes signs. You are not going to get a poster with the Sports Illustrated Cover with the North Carolina F on the jersey into the game, and if you do, it's going to be up for a minute, then they will throw you out of the stadium.

<3 Staff One.

They just do what they're told. The instructions probably come from Duke, which gets its instructions from ESPN.

hurleyfor3
02-17-2015, 06:56 PM
"Welcome Fellow Scholars" was on the Blue Devil's head band for the 1990 national championship game (unlv). It not only doesn't have a great track record, it has the worst possible track record.

UrinalCake
02-17-2015, 07:30 PM
You are not going to get a poster with the Sports Illustrated Cover with the North Carolina F on the jersey into the game, and if you do, it's going to be up for a minute, then they will throw you out of the stadium.

Do they actually throw you out of the stadium, or do they just take away the sign?

El_Diablo
02-17-2015, 08:31 PM
Do they actually throw you out of the stadium, or do they just take away the sign?

The latter. I have had signs taken from me and others around me. I have never seen anyone thrown out just for having a sign.

Part of the restriction is based on the size of the sign. So if you bring in two small signs that can be held together or multiple small signs that can otherwise be reassembled in the stands (e.g., if you just happen to bring duct tape), you have a better chance of getting it through security at the door.

devil84
02-18-2015, 08:57 AM
The latter. I have had signs taken from me and others around me. I have never seen anyone thrown out just for having a sign.

Part of the restriction is based on the size of the sign. So if you bring in two small signs that can be held together or multiple small signs that can otherwise be reassembled in the stands (e.g., if you just happen to bring duct tape), you have a better chance of getting it through security at the door.

So, if an upstairs ticket holder were to bring in a ream of card stock, fat markers, and a roll of tape, where should the ticket holder direct the goods to be passed? :)