PDA

View Full Version : Cavaliers vs. Wahoos

Edouble
02-16-2015, 08:34 PM
Reading the Al Featherston article on the ACC season wrapping up made me smile. Al continues to refer to the Virginia basketball team as the "Cavaliers". Not that there's anything wrong with that.

However, I have seven family members that attended the University of Virginia and I can't remember any of them ever referring to their teams as anything other than "Wahoos".

When you turn on a Raycom or ESPN game, just like Al, they also refer to Virginia as the Cavaliers, as this is the official school mascot. However, I wonder what mascot the casual fan uses when talking about Virginia teams.

Personally, I use Cavaliers because I think Wahoos is a little weird.

Seattle Hoo
02-16-2015, 09:39 PM
I am guessing that the four who voted "I call them both" are us visiting WahooCavaliers.

W&LHoo
02-16-2015, 09:44 PM
Generally I go with "Hoos." But also use wahoos, cavs, and cavaliers.

-jk
02-16-2015, 09:50 PM
Enquiring minds want to know: "What the hell's a Wahoo?"

-jk

DukeDiva
02-16-2015, 09:52 PM
I always use UVa, but that is probably because that is how my hubby (VA Native) refers to them.

DukeDiva
02-16-2015, 09:56 PM
Although the Cavalier is the official mascot of the University, the Cavaliers are also often referred to as the Wahoos. Legend has it that Washington and Lee baseball fans dubbed the Virginia players "Wahoos" during the fiercely contested rivalry that existed between the two in-state schools in the 1890s.

Taken from http://www.virginia.edu/QandAGen.html

wilko
02-16-2015, 09:57 PM

-jk

MCFinARL
02-16-2015, 09:58 PM

-jk

The fish that can drink twice its weight, I believe....

I generally call them the Wahoos or, if I'm trying to be respectable, the Cavs. Live in VA so that might affect my choices.

mattman91
02-16-2015, 10:00 PM
I call them the 2015 ACC Runner-ups.

Go Duke!

GTHC.

jacone21
02-16-2015, 10:23 PM

-jk

A famous wrestler?

WiJoe
02-16-2015, 10:46 PM
Well, Dickie V said during the Louisville game that "They love their Hoes." Well, who doesn't? Obviously, he meant Hoos.

JNort
02-17-2015, 03:13 AM
Nothing but Virginia to me.

Cavs refers to a Cleveland pro basketball team, Wahoo is just absolutely awful sounding and UVA doesn't roll off the tongue well to me as say FSU does

Seattle Hoo
02-17-2015, 07:16 AM

-jk

Nobody knows. I read years ago that the Virginia nickname is documented before the fish got the nickname. There are theories, but nobody knows for sure. It started back in the 1800s. I believe earliest record is 1880s.

dbcooper
02-17-2015, 07:23 AM
I guess we could ask the same question about the Cheats.......

A picture of a foot with a black substance on it(ah-umm) Tarheel VS. A Ram - or a Goat f you please.

Anyway, Both Smell Bad.

DB ---E

alteran
02-17-2015, 10:29 AM
I guess we could ask the same question about the Cheats.......

A picture of a foot with a black substance on it(ah-umm) Tarheel VS. A Ram - or a Goat f you please.

Anyway, Both Smell Bad.

DB ---E

The poll on that should be Tarheels, Rams, or Cheats?

I wonder how it would come out here?

On UVA, I generally call them Hoos, it seems to be what the UVA fans themselves do and they haven't yet annoyed me to the point where I feel the need to annoy them passive-aggressively, like I do with the UNC Sanctimonious Cheatweasels.

Jarhead
02-17-2015, 10:41 AM
I always use UVa, but that is probably because that is how my hubby (VA Native) refers to them.

I use UVA any time I refer to UVA. For the other Va. school I use VaTech or VPI, and sometimes they are VPI&SU. Just what is a Hokie? Is that some breed of gobbler?

grad_devil
02-17-2015, 10:45 AM
... annoyed me to the point where I feel the need to annoy them passive-aggressively, like I do with the UNC Sanctimonious Cheatweasels.

(emphasis mine)

I love this.

I can practically picture the mascot.

jhmoss1812
02-17-2015, 10:51 AM
More often than not, I call us the Hoos. I also say "wahoowa" a lot. My friends here at FSU, none of whom are UVA fans, think I'm insane.

devildeac
02-17-2015, 10:51 AM
The fish that can drink twice its weight, I believe....

I generally call them the Wahoos or, if I'm trying to be respectable, the Cavs. Live in VA so that might affect my choices.

I dated a girl like that once. Her name was Mary. Wait, atsa no fish...

;)

duke blue brewcrew
02-17-2015, 11:16 AM
I'm 43. For the first 30yrs of my life, I used either Cavaliers or UVA when referring to that university. However, thanks to one of my best friends who is a Hokie grad and a die hard fan, I now refer to them as the Cadaverliers. That's much more entertaining!

dbcooper
02-17-2015, 11:25 AM
The poll on that should be Tarheels, Rams, or Cheats?

I wonder how it would come out here?

On UVA, I generally call them Hoos, it seems to be what the UVA fans themselves do and they haven't yet annoyed me to the point where I feel the need to annoy them passive-aggressively, like I do with the UNC Sanctimonious Cheatweasels.

As for the College of Chapel Hell...

Yes, and I'm sure the fine people here could help us out with some other "Mascots" and "Names" too!:cool:o

DB ---E

Henderson
02-17-2015, 11:39 AM
As for the College of Chapel Hell...

Yes, and I'm sure the fine people here could help us out with some other "Mascots" and "Names" too!:cool:o

DB ---E

Credit UVa for sticking with an offiicial mascot that comports with their official nickname. I'm having trouble picturing a fish mascot that doesn't look like the left Shark in the Superbowl halftime show. So Cavaliers works for me and for them.

Now imagine a "Tar Heel" mascot. What would that look like? I'd love to see it. I picture Eddie Murphy's Gumby costume with an embarrassing intestinal leakage at the bottom.

dbcooper
02-17-2015, 11:53 AM
"Now imagine a "Tar Heel" mascot. What would that look like? I'd love to see it. I picture Eddie Murphy's Gumby costume with an embarrassing intestinal leakage at the bottom."

And to make it an "Official Tar Heel Mascot" we would need to put some overpriced plaid stitching on it also... that would be Awesome!

DB ---E

Seattle Hoo
02-17-2015, 12:26 PM
Somebody asked what a Hokie is. A Hokie is a castrated turkey and don't listen to your Hokie friends when they try to deny it.