PDA

View Full Version : Prayers to Gminski family

fuse
02-15-2015, 08:58 PM
@UNC_Basketball reporting on Twitter Mike Gminski was to be on air for both UNC games this week and will not be due to the death of his fiancé.

I can't find anything to corroborate, and given it is the official UNC basketball feed, think it is highly unlikely to be a hoax in poor taste.

Mods, feel free to delete if this turns out to be untrue.

Thoughts and prayers with the G-man and his family.

brevity
02-15-2015, 09:05 PM
I can't find anything to corroborate, and given it is the official UNC basketball feed, think it is highly unlikely to be a hoax in poor taste.

Confirmed on Mike Gminski's own Twitter account here (https://twitter.com/mikegminski/status/567128253555806208). Assuming that is him, of course. (The rest of the feed gives me no cause for suspicion.)

Newton_14
02-15-2015, 09:50 PM
Wow. That is really sad. I hate that for G-Man. He seems like a great man and is far and away one of my favorite announcers. I love hearing him and Tim Brando paired together. They make a great combo.

Very awful for him to have to go through something like this. Many prayers while he grieves.

Godspeed G-Man

gep
02-15-2015, 10:00 PM
Wow... so sad for the G-man. Much condolences. I never followed Duke when he was playing, but his broadcasting on games was great. Class guy.

OldPhiKap
02-15-2015, 10:48 PM
Very sad.

blazindw
02-15-2015, 10:57 PM
Confirmed on Mike Gminski's own Twitter account here (https://twitter.com/mikegminski/status/567128253555806208). Assuming that is him, of course. (The rest of the feed gives me no cause for suspicion.)

That is not his Twitter account. This is his verified account (https://twitter.com/gman43duke), and it doesn't have any mention of the passing. Then again, that doesn't mean anything because it's not required for him to tweet out personal affairs such as this one, if the story is true. But, I would err on the side of caution since the other tweets are not coming from him.

-jk
02-15-2015, 11:03 PM
Um... "Had an issue transferring this account to new iPhone so I have another twitter name there- @mikegminski You can follow me there as well." and "Twitter customer support is a disaster. My iPad account- @gman43duke On my phone- @mikegminski"

Seems to be him, either way.

So sorry for your loss, Mike.

-jk

blazindw
02-15-2015, 11:10 PM
Um... "Had an issue transferring this account to new iPhone so I have another twitter name there- @mikegminski You can follow me there as well." and "Twitter customer support is a disaster. My iPad account- @gman43duke On my phone- @mikegminski"

Seems to be him, either way.

So sorry for your loss, Mike.

-jk

Didn't even see that when copying the link for the Twitter account. Thanks for that catch. Sad sad news indeed.

Troublemaker
02-15-2015, 11:13 PM
Very sad. Just sent some prayers for G-Man and both their families

weezie
02-16-2015, 08:18 AM
Poor Mike. I am sorry to read this.

jv001
02-16-2015, 08:48 AM
Prayers for you Mike, you're one of the best. God bless. GoDuke!

DevilWearsPrada
02-16-2015, 12:03 PM
Prayers to the Gminski and Culpepper families. I met Sarah in 2011 in Charlotte.
It certainly has been tough in the Triangle recently with Dean Smith, Don Shea and Stuart Scott, and now Mike's sweet fiance, Sarah.

JD79
02-16-2015, 02:18 PM
Tried to search for information but could not find anything. Is there an article in a local paper? I don't know where they live if anyone can help? Mike and I were friends. Thanks.

roywhite
02-16-2015, 02:31 PM
Tried to search for information but could not find anything. Is there an article in a local paper? I don't know where they live if anyone can help? Mike and I were friends. Thanks.

Don't know if this helps -- looking online, they had registered for a wedding to take place Sept. 19, 2014 in Charlotte, which evidently didn't come off. Fatal illness?

Hate to see this for G-Man -- really liked him as a player and a broadcaster; have some friends who got to know him -- great guy by all accounts.

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-16-2015, 02:37 PM
If you're a Duke alum, you may find this information in the online alumni directory.

cdwduke1965
02-16-2015, 03:53 PM
Mike's Facebook page has several expressions of sympathy posted on it, including one from Gene Banks which seems particularly credible. No details, but just the very sad news. Most sincere condolences to Mike and all of Sarah's loved ones and friends.

DevilWearsPrada
02-16-2015, 06:00 PM
Mike's Facebook page has several expressions of sympathy posted on it, including one from Gene Banks which seems particularly credible. No details, but just the very sad news. Most sincere condolences to Mike and all of Sarah's loved ones and friends.

My Friend text Mike earlier today! Sarah was taken to ER and did not make it. No other details. The realism is that young sweet Sarah is amongest the angels. Continued prayers for the families and friends.

dbcooper
02-16-2015, 07:01 PM
So sad to hear about your loss G-man, my condolences and wish you strength though this tough time.

DB --E

DevilWearsPrada
02-18-2015, 10:13 AM
You can go to www.charlotte.com and read Sarah Culpepper's obit online, today.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/charlotte/obituary.aspx?n=sarah-culpepper&pid=174181731&fhid=4156

Copy and paste the link.

Continued prayers