PDA

View Full Version : Coach K Wearing Carolina Blue

BluBones
02-12-2015, 07:46 PM
Coach K wears a Carolina blue tie to Dean Smith's funeral:

http://collegespun.com/acc/duke/photo-coach-k-wore-a-carolina-blue-tie-to-dean-smiths-funeral-today

Nice.

hudlow
02-12-2015, 08:16 PM
A very appropriate gesture, K is a class act.

WakeDevil
02-12-2015, 08:59 PM
I am extremely disappointed.

Furniture
02-12-2015, 09:18 PM
Makes me proud to be a Duke fan...

hurleyfor3
02-12-2015, 09:58 PM
Am I the only one wondering whether he already had a baby blue tie in his wardrobe, as if he were saving it for this, and if not, whether he or Mickie had to suffer the ignominy of being seen buying one?

sagegrouse
02-12-2015, 10:30 PM
A fitting gesture and not a surprise. K and staff wore gold-and-black ties to the first game at Wake Forest after Skip Prosser died.

Troublemaker
02-12-2015, 10:44 PM
Am I the only one wondering whether he already had a baby blue tie in his wardrobe, as if he were saving it for this, and if not, whether he or Mickie had to suffer the ignominy of being seen buying one?

Since Coach K and Dean became good friends later in life, maybe the tie was a gag gift from Dean to his buddy on one of K's birthdays or perhaps after win 880 or 903. Coach K opened the gift, laughed, called Dean an MFer, and shelved the tie, never thinking he'd have an occasion to wear it...

Furniture
02-12-2015, 11:11 PM
Perhaps K wore the tie because he knows life and friendship is much bigger than cross town college rivalry.

uh_no
02-13-2015, 12:24 AM
Perhaps K wore the tie because he knows life and friendship is much bigger than cross town college rivalry.

bingo. I would be ashamed of anyone who represented duke by holding the rivalry over a human life.

killerleft
02-13-2015, 10:58 AM
bingo. I would be ashamed of anyone who represented duke by holding the rivalry over a human life.

My wife bought for me a sport shirt that was a color called 'periwinkle'. I wore it a couple times, but ultimately I had to retire it. The thing made me feel uncomfortable. Just too close to light blue. What's the difference, CB&B? A tiny bit of alizarin crimson?

I thought Coach K did a nice thing by wearing that tie, though.

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-13-2015, 12:27 PM
I am extremely disappointed.
About what? Our coach being a mensch and paying respects to an old rival and friend?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-13-2015, 12:31 PM

Thank you for this. I would also argue that the thread in which a Duke shirt with "Dean" on it that sells in order to benefit charity might also be more important than a rivalry, but I am apparently in the minority.

Let's keep some perspective here, people.

left_hook_lacey
02-13-2015, 02:22 PM
I've had two UNC fans in my office that are constantly unbearable. But today, one of them(the one that is usually the worse of the two)stuck his head in the door and said....

UNCfan: You know, I despise everything about Duke and Coach K. You know this right? I've expressed many times that I believe with every fiber of my being that Coach K is a vampire and sleeps in a day coffin. You are aware of this?

Me: Yes, I've heard. You have no problem telling others how you feel, even if they didn't ask.

UNCfan: Well, that being said, I just saw an article on USA today's website that had a picture of Coach K wearing a Carolina blue tie to Dean's funeral. That's a classy move man, a classy move. It was a nice gesture of him just to attend, but to put on a tie of a color that all of Duke nation detests in order to pay respects to his arch rival is nothing short of special. It was a special moment and I thank him for it. I will probably never ever say this again as long as I live, but today I'm a Coach K fan, and I tip my hat to him. Can I take you to lunch and trade old basketball stories? Just two college basketball fans talking basketball. No rivalry today.

Me: You're just seeing what we already know. And yes, lunch sounds great.

We went to lunch and talked about this years contenders, who we thought had a shot and why. He was much more of and x's and o's guy than I had ever given him credit for. Could Kentucky actually run the table? (He said no, I said yes. Forgive me).We relived old UNC-Duke games and where we were when each of them happened and what was going through our heads as it unfolded.

It was so nice to get an honest perspective from a rival's view point without all the typical fanatical hyperbole that is so tiring sometimes.

When we got back to the office, a few minutes goes by and he pops his head in my door again.

UNCfan: That was nice, it was really cool to talk to a Duke fan without it devolving into a hate-filled pissing contest.

Me: Yeah, it was nice to actually talk basketball with a UNC fan without it becoming about K's hair, or his back, or your academic scandal(had to throw that one in there).

UNCfan: Yep, yep.......Well, that being said, after today, you do realize that we can never do this again, and Coach K will be the subject of my relentless vitriol because he is my sworn enemy.

Me: I wouldn't have it any other way.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
02-13-2015, 02:29 PM
I've had two UNC fans in my office that are constantly unbearable. But today, one of them(the one that is usually the worse of the two)stuck his head in the door and said....

UNCfan: You know, I despise everything about Duke and Coach K. You know this right? I've expressed many times that I believe with every fiber of my being that Coach K is a vampire and sleeps in a day coffin. You are aware of this?

Me: Yes, I've heard. You have no problem telling others how you feel, even if they didn't ask.

UNCfan: Well, that being said, I just saw an article on USA today's website that had a picture of Coach K wearing a Carolina blue tie to Dean's funeral. That's a classy move man, a classy move. It was a nice gesture of him just to attend, but to put on a tie of a color that all of Duke nation detests in order to pay respects to his arch rival is nothing short of special. It was a special moment and I thank him for it. I will probably never ever say this again as long as I live, but today I'm a Coach K fan, and I tip my hat to him. Can I take you to lunch and trade old basketball stories? Just two college basketball fans talking basketball. No rivalry today.

Me: You're just seeing what we already know. And yes, lunch sounds great.

We went to lunch and talked about this years contenders, who we thought had a shot and why. He was much more of and x's and o's guy than I had ever given him credit for. Could Kentucky actually run the table? (He said no, I said yes. Forgive me).We relived old UNC-Duke games and where we were when each of them happened and what was going through our heads as it unfolded.

It was so nice to get an honest perspective from a rival's view point without all the typical fanatical hyperbole that is so tiring sometimes.

When we got back to the office, a few minutes goes by and he pops his head in my door again.

UNCfan: That was nice, it was really cool to talk to a Duke fan without it devolving into a hate-filled pissing contest.

Me: Yeah, it was nice to actually talk basketball with a UNC fan without it becoming about K's hair, or his back, or your academic scandal(had to throw that one in there).

UNCfan: Yep, yep.......Well, that being said, after today, you do realize that we can never do this again, and Coach K will be the subject of my relentless vitriol because he is my sworn enemy.

Is that word for word or are you taking liberties with the dialog here haha

left_hook_lacey
02-13-2015, 02:33 PM
Is that word for word or are you taking liberties with the dialog here haha

Word for word. I'm like Rainman when it comes to remembering words. :p

moonpie23
02-13-2015, 03:51 PM
IC mostly ripping him (http://northcarolina.scout.com/forums/1410-basketball/13657432-k-with-baby-blue-tie-to-honor-coach-smith?s=78) for it...

weezie
02-13-2015, 04:07 PM

Hhmmm. Perhaps you need to email him right now, or early Monday morning with a gentle, "GTHC GTH" Just a slight dig.

weezie
02-13-2015, 04:11 PM
IC mostly ripping him (http://northcarolina.scout.com/forums/1410-basketball/13657432-k-with-baby-blue-tie-to-honor-coach-smith?s=78) for it...

I was mildly wondering how the unwashed knuckle-draggers were going to spin this. What mishapen holes they are.

brlftz
02-13-2015, 04:24 PM

actually, I just went to the thread and found the opposite. there were a few predictable jerks, but they were quickly shut down by some very eloquent and heartfelt responses. that community deserves praise on the whole for their appreciation of K's presence.