PDA

View Full Version : Tyus Jones chasing a Duke single-season record

CDu
02-11-2015, 10:14 PM
With a few amazingly efficient games recently, Tyus Jones is now averaging 3.175 assists for every turnover. The Duke single-season record belongs to Wojo at 3.02. It is amazing what this kid is doing as a freshman (he is also a double-digit scorer and 39.5% 3pt shooter). It would be a great accomplishment to best Wojo's mark.

gumbomoop
02-11-2015, 11:14 PM
Has this been posted? Too many threads to keep up with.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12309792/wooden-award-late-season-top-20-list-revealed

UrinalCake
02-12-2015, 11:42 AM
Amazing accomplishment, whether or not he gets the record. Wojo was more of a "play it safe" kind of guard who didn't make mistakes but also didn't take many risks. Tyus creates, he makes difficult passes, and he pushes in transition, which makes his A-TO ratio even more impressive. Not sure what Quinn's numbers are on the year but I imagine they're really good too.

johnb
02-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Tyus and Jah belong on the list, but there have been stretches of games in which neither has been the best freshman on the floor.

roywhite
02-12-2015, 11:59 AM
Amazing accomplishment, whether or not he gets the record. Wojo was more of a "play it safe" kind of guard who didn't make mistakes but also didn't take many risks. Tyus creates, he makes difficult passes, and he pushes in transition, which makes his A-TO ratio even more impressive. Not sure what Quinn's numbers are on the year but I imagine they're really good too.

Yeah, major props to Tyus. Love the way he has adapted to college basketball, and love what a clutch performer he is. He can shoot the 3, and really finish drives, using the backboard, and often drawing contact to get the "and one". But it's his passing that is really special. He had a stretch of 4 or 5 assists in a short period vs FSU that was amazing, some lobs from 30 to 40 feet away that were right on target. He's rapidly becoming one of my favorite Duke players in a long time.

ksimp112
02-12-2015, 02:24 PM
Does anyone know where Tyus ranks as far as Duke freshman and assists? I assume that Hurley has that record, but I could be wrong. Would like to see a list of top 5 or 10 assist for a Duke player in their freshman season.

Monmouth77
02-12-2015, 02:48 PM
Does anyone know where Tyus ranks as far as Duke freshman and assists? I assume that Hurley has that record, but I could be wrong. Would like to see a list of top 5 or 10 assist for a Duke player in their freshman season.

According to goduke.com, Hurley had 288 assists as a freshman in 1990 -- that is an insane number and has to be the record for a freshman at Duke (and probably for any freshman). I know he has the NCAA career record.

Tyus now has 127 assists -- so with 9 remaining games guaranteed, if he continues to average 5.3 a game, he'll end up with 175 assists. Maybe 200+ if we make a nice run in the post season.

Really puts in perspective just how awesome Hurley was.

Although it should be said that, for good reason, Tyus calls his own number more than Hurley needed to back in '90. And he's on pace to outscore Hurley from the PG position as a freshman.

Kedsy
02-12-2015, 02:58 PM
Not sure what Quinn's numbers are on the year but I imagine they're really good too.

Quinn's current a/to ratio this season is about 2.2 to 1. I believe he's still on pace to graduate with the best a/to ratio in Duke history.

SCMatt33
02-12-2015, 03:01 PM
I couldn't find anyone else who even came within 100 of Hurley's number. The three guys I looked up were Amaker, Duhon, and Paulus, all of whom started at point as freshman. Paulus had 187, Duhon had 174, and Amaker had 163. If Jones continues that pace, he should be able to get second on the all time list with even a decent postseason run (his current pace would put him at 211 in 40 games). I could have forgotten someone, though it helps that freshman had to sit out until the 70's for this research.

Kedsy
02-12-2015, 03:04 PM
I couldn't find anyone else who even came within 100 of Hurley's number. The three guys I looked up were Amaker, Duhon, and Paulus, all of whom started at point as freshman. Paulus had 187, Duhon had 174, and Amaker had 163. If Jones continues that pace, he should be able to get second on the all time list with even a decent postseason run (his current pace would put him at 211 in 40 games). I could have forgotten someone, though it helps that freshman had to sit out until the 70's for this research.

Jason Williams had 220 assists as a freshman.

SCMatt33
02-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Jason Williams had 220 assists as a freshman.

Just found a better list in the media guide vs. the stats database. Besides the ones already named, Johnny Dawkins is the only other freshman to lead the team in assists with 134 in 1983. The list should now be complete unless someone had a lot of assists while not leading the team in the category

CDu
02-12-2015, 03:27 PM
According to goduke.com, Hurley had 288 assists as a freshman in 1990 -- that is an insane number and has to be the record for a freshman at Duke (and probably for any freshman). I know he has the NCAA career record.

Tyus now has 127 assists -- so with 9 remaining games guaranteed, if he continues to average 5.3 a game, he'll end up with 175 assists. Maybe 200+ if we make a nice run in the post season.

Although it should be said that, for good reason, Tyus calls his own number more than Hurley needed to back in '90. And he's on pace to outscore Hurley from the PG position as a freshman.

To be fair though, Hurley played in a different era. The pace was much faster, and defenses less physical. And Hurley was a bit of a turnover machine as a frosh. But yeah, he was really freaking good.

BrazyATX
02-12-2015, 04:45 PM
Quinn's current a/to ratio this season is about 2.2 to 1. I believe he's still on pace to graduate with the best a/to ratio in Duke history.

Anyone know where he is for his career with this seasons stats included?

tbyers11
02-12-2015, 05:34 PM
Anyone know where he is for his career with this seasons stats included?

With the season-to-date included I've got Quinn with 471 assists and 185 turnovers for an A:TO ratio of 2.55:1.

NYBri
02-12-2015, 06:18 PM
Multiple times this year, I have said aloud, "Great frickin' pass!," after a Tyus dish. Can't remember saying that so many times in decades.

Olympic Fan
02-12-2015, 07:51 PM
Just for the record, the top 10 freshman assist totals at Duke:

1. Bobby Hurley -- 288 (7.6 a game)
2. Jason Williams -- 220 (6.5 a game)
3. Greg Paulus -- 187 (5.2 a game)
4. Chris Duhon -- 174 (4.5 a game)
5. Tommy Amaker -- 163 (4.8 a game)
6. Johnny Dawkins -- 134 (4.8 a game)
7. Tyus Jones -- 127 (5.3 a game)
8. Gene Banks -- 120 (3.5 a game)
9. Jeff Capel -- 108 (3.2 a game)
10. Will Avery -- 87 (2.5 a game)

Tyus has knocked Wojo (81) out of the top 10. He currently has the third-best per game average of any freshman at Duke, although it's close between he and Paulus.

Interesting that Paulus is the only Duke freshman to lead the ACC in assists. It's just a matter of chance ... in Hurley's year, he wasn't even the top ACC freshman (Kenny Anderson averaged 8.1 assists a game) ... those are the two highest freshman assist averages in ACC history and they came in the same year.

At his current pace, Jones has a good chance to finish as the No. 3 assist total for a freshman in Duke history. But he will not catch Hurley or JWill.

As the OP noted, he is on pace to record the best assist-to-turnover season in Duke history. Wojo had 176 assists in the year he set the record (58 turnovers). Tyus should better that total.

PS Cook can indeed finish with the best CAREER assist-to-turnover ratio (unless Jones leaves and you count his one season as a career). The current record belongs to Wojo (2.50 to 1). Quinn is at 2.571 to one, so he's on pace for the record.

Wander
02-12-2015, 08:15 PM
So, Jerian Grant and Delon Wright, and other than that, there's basically no PGs playing at the level Tyus is playing right now, right?

duketaylor
02-12-2015, 08:56 PM
Hurley hit lots of players in various body parts as he tried to feed them on potential assists when he was a frosh, thus many turnovers until they learned to be expecting passes from such a great point guard. We discussed this a lot back then and I've had many conversations with other friends in the day. Once his teammates learned to look for said passes his ratio improved, I think. I have not stats to back that up. Thus, if the stats dispute that, then I'm sorry about the observation.

CDu
02-12-2015, 09:42 PM
So, Jerian Grant and Delon Wright, and other than that, there's basically no PGs playing at the level Tyus is playing right now, right?

Well, I'd throw Kris Dunn, Nigel Williams-Goss, D'Angelo Russell, Fred VanVleet, and Kevin Pangos into the discussion as well. But yeah, Jones is on the short list for sure.

Wander
02-13-2015, 12:10 AM
Well, I'd throw Kris Dunn, Nigel Williams-Goss, D'Angelo Russell, Fred VanVleet, and Kevin Pangos into the discussion as well. But yeah, Jones is on the short list for sure.

I was counting D'Angelo Russell as the Ohio State SG, with Shannon Scott as the PG - but if you count him as a PG, then yeah he's at the top of the list.

Fred VanVleet is my favorite non-Duke player, but he hasn't been quite as good as he was last year - he's very good, but I'd put him in the next tier with guys like Marcus Paige and Isiah Taylor.

The other guys you're probably right about.

Olympic Fan
02-13-2015, 12:25 AM
I was counting D'Angelo Russell as the Ohio State SG, with Shannon Scott as the PG - but if you count him as a PG, then yeah he's at the top of the list.

Fred VanVleet is my favorite non-Duke player, but he hasn't been quite as good as he was last year - he's very good, but I'd put him in the next tier with guys like Marcus Paige and Isiah Taylor.

The other guys you're probably right about.

Positions are problematic ... for instance, Notre Dame considers Demetrious Jackson their point guard and Jerian Grant as their shooting guard -- even though Grant has more assists.

Wander
02-13-2015, 01:08 AM
Positions are problematic ... for instance, Notre Dame considers Demetrious Jackson their point guard and Jerian Grant as their shooting guard -- even though Grant has more assists.

I agree. Arguing about exact positions gets a bit dull after a while, so I'm fine with including both Grant and Russell here given that they're clearly capable of playing PG, even if that's not their "official" position in their starting lineups (I also think it's fine to exclude them). Then I'd probably put Russell, Grant, Jones, Wright, and Dunn in some order as the top 5 with Williams-Gross, Paige, Taylor, Trimble, Pangos, Boatright, Ferrell, and VanVleet in some order as the next tier. There's stuff to argue about in that order and I may be forgetting a couple guys, but approximately.

CDu
02-22-2015, 07:15 PM
And to show how hard it is to break the record, Jones had a huge week, with 17 assists... and he fell below Wojo's average in both games. Jones is about 8 assists (without a turnover) off the pace.

MartyClark
02-22-2015, 07:21 PM
And to show how hard it is to break the record, Jones had a huge week, with 17 assists... and he fell below Wojo's average in both games. Jones is about 8 assists (without a turnover) off the pace.

I'm willing, as usual, to ignore the statistical analysis. Tyus Jones in the man. So was Wojo but Tyus has had a spectacular year.

Pghdukie
02-22-2015, 07:29 PM
Offensively Jones is having a year 6 months ago we could have only wished and hoped for. BUT, his defensive play has been much more than expected.

mr. synellinden
03-07-2015, 02:28 AM
Really great ESPN story on Tyus and his relationship with his two brothers - one older and one younger.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=12427199

rocketeli
03-07-2015, 08:06 AM
I remember that. As I recall Coach K was quoted as finally telling the team "If you know Santa Claus is coming you put up a --ing stocking" -words to live by

Hurley hit lots of players in various body parts as he tried to feed them on potential assists when he was a frosh, thus many turnovers until they learned to be expecting passes from such a great point guard. We discussed this a lot back then and I've had many conversations with other friends in the day. Once his teammates learned to look for said passes his ratio improved, I think. I have not stats to back that up. Thus, if the stats dispute that, then I'm sorry about the observation.

Olympic Fan
03-07-2015, 11:16 AM
Just to bring the premise of the OP up to date ...

Going into the regular season finale at UNC, Tyus is no longer on pace to set the school record for assist-turnover ratio. He's down to 2.74-to-1 (170 assists and 62 turnovers).

That's still the fifth best single season ratio in school history -- second for a freshman (Chris Duhon was 2.85 to 1 in 2001)

Duhon's 170 assists are currently fifth, but No. 4 Duhon (174) and No. 5 Greg Paulus (187) are in range. He would need 50 more assist to catch No. 2 Jason Williams (220) and No. 1 Bobby Hurley (286) is well out of range.

duketaylor
03-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Regarding Hurley, I remember Dr. Feelgood telling me about Hurley hitting teammates in the back and side running downcourt because they didn't know (yet) to turn to look for the ball. That would've been told to me in November, later in the season they started receiving the memo.

sagegrouse
03-07-2015, 03:14 PM
The most important thing to remember about the "Assists" statistic is that the guy who gets the pass has to make the shot. If he always misses, you get zero assists. Not too shabby to be able to pass to Jahlil and Quinn. Jahlil is averaging 66 percent and Quinn is 40 percent from three and 56 percent from two-point range.

Henderson
03-07-2015, 03:49 PM
The most important thing to remember about the "Assists" statistic is that the guy who gets the pass has to make the shot. If he always misses, you get zero assists. Not too shabby to be able to pass to Jahlil and Quinn. Jahlil is averaging 66 percent and Quinn is 40 percent from three and 56 percent from two-point range.

In the olden days, you also didn't get an assist if the scorer to whom you passed the ball dribbled before making the shot. I believe it's more of a judgment call now (though surely someone can quote a rule here). In addition, if the passer feeds the post in such a way to draw the defense, opening up a pass to a third player who becomes open as a result of the initiated sequence, the guy who initiated the sequence gets no assist. Like all other stats, it's interesting and useful but doesn't perfectly reflect much of anything.

davekay1971
03-07-2015, 03:55 PM
Regarding Hurley, I remember Dr. Feelgood telling me about Hurley hitting teammates in the back and side running downcourt because they didn't know (yet) to turn to look for the ball. That would've been told to me in November, later in the season they started receiving the memo.

Hurley had a bunch of passes that became turnovers when a more alert recipient would have turned it into an assist. Still, I bet Bobby has no complaints about the quality of scorers to whom he spent his time in Durham distributing passes. There's one obvious example of Grant Hill turning a Bobby Hurley almost-turnover into a national championship highlight assist that still gets run every March.

davekay1971
03-07-2015, 04:00 PM
I remember that. As I recall Coach K was quoted as finally telling the team "If you know Santa Claus is coming you put up a --ing stocking" -words to live by

K: F---ing stocking

Roy: Friggin' stocking

Dean: "Gentlemen, you have an excellent playmaker. Please make sure to be alert for a pass at any time. God bless, and please remember to go to all your classes, do all your own work to the best of your ability, sign up for the First Baptist Church's soup kitchen, and do remember that Mrs. Myrtle Abercrombie down on fourth street needs her back deck powerwashed and painted this weekend. The Carolina Way demands it of us."

The Rams Club asked me to point out the distinction to you all before the game today. Thanks!

Indoor66
03-07-2015, 04:53 PM
K: F---ing stocking

Roy: Friggin' stocking

Dean: "Gentlemen, you have an excellent playmaker. Please make sure to be alert for a pass at any time. God bless, and please remember to go to all your classes, do all your own work to the best of your ability, sign up for the First Baptist Church's soup kitchen, and do remember that Mrs. Myrtle Abercrombie down on fourth street needs her back deck powerwashed and painted this weekend. The Carolina Way demands it of us."

The Rams Club asked me to point out the distinction to you all before the game today. Thanks!

Yeah, but in chapel hill the unc assist totals were SUBSTANTIALLY higher than those stats for any other home team during dean's reign.

dbcooper
03-07-2015, 05:19 PM
Really great ESPN story on Tyus and his relationship with his two brothers - one older and one younger.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=12427199

If Tre Jones possesses 1/10 of the ability Tyus has shown..... I see K offering up another "Family Plan".

Is there another Plumlee we can offer?

DB ---E

NSDukeFan
03-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Yeah, but in chapel hill the unc assist totals were SUBSTANTIALLY higher than those stats for any other home team during dean's reign.

The players made it easier for the scorekeeper by pointing out who deserved the assist.

duketaylor
03-07-2015, 11:47 PM
Tyus Jones is just sick, as in good sick, one of the best PGs ever. Hope he'll be back next year. wishful thinking, I know. He's fairly small, so maybe back.
Can sink FTs like it's nothing. Butter.

yancem
03-12-2015, 09:36 PM
Don't look now but Jones' assist:turnover ratio I'd climbing back up. With 7:1 against UNC and 8:1 tonight, he's almost back up to 3:1. 185:64 = 2.89. Just a reminder, Wojo's was 3.02.

CDu
03-12-2015, 09:52 PM
Don't look now but Jones' assist:turnover ratio I'd climbing back up. With 7:1 against UNC and 8:1 tonight, he's almost back up to 3:1. 185:64 = 2.89. Just a reminder, Wojo's was 3.02.

Yup. 9 assists without a turnover would put him back ahead of Wojo. Tough sledding ahead to get there. But a few more of these 8:1 assist:turnover games and he will be back in business. ;)

CDu
03-14-2015, 09:23 AM
Well, last night's 5 assist, 4 turnover clunker probably signals the death knell to Jones' chase for the record. He now needs 16 assists without a turnover to get back ahead of Wojo. Oh well. Still a great year.

SCMatt33
03-20-2015, 11:16 PM
With a 7 and 1 performance tonight, Jones isn't quite dead yet, but it would take a huge effort and a deep Duke run. At 197 and 69, he could get there with three more identical 7 and 1 performances, he would be at 218/72=3.028. So it's not impossible for him to get there, but very difficult.

CDu
03-23-2015, 07:58 AM
With a couple of turnovers yesterday, Jones has put his back against the wall in the chase for Wojo's mark. He is at 203 assists and 71 turnovers. He will either need 12 assists to no turnovers or 15 assists to 1 turnover to get back on track. He will likely need 2 games (or more) to have a chance. And he needs to be basically perfect to do it.

yancem
03-23-2015, 10:43 AM
Just to update everyone on the freshman season assist total list:

3. Tyus Jones -- 203 (5.8 a game)
4. Greg Paulus -- 187 (5.2 a game)
5. Chris Duhon -- 174 (4.5 a game)
6. Tommy Amaker -- 163 (4.8 a game)
7. Johnny Dawkins -- 134 (4.8 a game)

If Duke can get to the final 4, he has a decent shot of passing Jason Williams for second place. If he passes Hurley, then he could end up being the #1 pick in a few months:o

Olympic Fan
03-23-2015, 12:15 PM
With a couple of turnovers yesterday, Jones has put his back against the wall in the chase for Wojo's mark. He is at 203 assists and 71 turnovers. He will either need 12 assists to no turnovers or 15 assists to 1 turnover to get back on track. He will likely need 2 games (or more) to have a chance. And he needs to be basically perfect to do it.

It's the second one that really hurt. It was during the last minute and Duke was essentially running out the clock. It was the last full possession of the game -- Tyus drove the lane and tried to dish to Grayson in the corner ... his pass was deflected and went out of bounds. He should have finished 6-and-1.

CDu
03-23-2015, 12:24 PM
It's the second one that really hurt. It was during the last minute and Duke was essentially running out the clock. It was the last full possession of the game -- Tyus drove the lane and tried to dish to Grayson in the corner ... his pass was deflected and went out of bounds. He should have finished 6-and-1.

Yup. Very disappointing to pick up a meaningless turnover at the end of the game. It just further exemplifies how difficult it is to break that record while being a creative force for the team. Even a really good game with 6 assists to just 2 turnovers hurts the cause.

Highlander
03-23-2015, 04:54 PM

Per Wikipedia -

"[Kendall] Marshall [of UNC] had an excellent sophomore season in which he set the all time UNC assist record of 351, surpassing former UNC point guard Ed Cota as the all time leader in assists in a single season in school history. On March 9, 2012, Marshall set another record, the all-time ACC record in assists in a single season with 311, surpassing the previous record set by former Georgia Tech point guard Craig Neal."

As near as I can tell, Kendall had around 228-230 assists his freshman year, so well behind Hurley's 288. However, Marshall was on pace to challenge or beat Hurley's record had he stayed 4 years.

TJ Ford looks to be the closest Freshman with 273 assists his Freshman year, although it is hard to say b/c they use assists per game as the metric rather than total # of assists. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_season_ assists_leaders

The second and third place men on the NCAA all time assists list are ACC alums - Chris Corchiani and Ed Cota. Corchiani looks to hold the ACC record for assists in a single game with 20 - February 27, 1991 vs. Maryland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_career_ assists_leaders

fidel
03-23-2015, 10:39 PM

If Duke can get to the final 4, he has a decent shot of passing Jason Williams for second place. If he passes Hurley, then he could end up being the #1 pick in a few months:o

Shout out to Tinkerbell. How'd he make this list?

Kedsy
03-23-2015, 10:47 PM

Justise Winslow has 78 assists so far. If we can get to the Final Four, he has a shot to break the top 10!

CDu
03-31-2015, 06:02 PM
Jones now sits at 212 assists to 74 turnovers. If he stays turnover-free and we make the title game, he has a shot. He needs to get 12 assists to no turnovers (or 15 to 1, or 18 to 2) to top Wojo.

Neals384
04-05-2015, 10:53 PM
After the MSU game:

3. Tyus Jones -- 216 (5.7 a game)
Justise Winslow -- 81 (2.1 a game)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-06-2015, 08:40 AM
If Tyus get 23 assists, I like our chances

CDu
04-06-2015, 08:47 AM
If Tyus get 23 assists, I like our chances

Thankfully, he "just" needs 12 assists to 0 turnovers to break Wojo's mark.

tux
04-06-2015, 08:59 AM

This has probably already been said on this thread: But the fact that Wojo is not in the top 10 in total assists as a freshman makes the A/TO number less impressive. I love Wojo, but anyone who watched him play knows that he wasn't exactly a creator --- more of a steady steward of the offense. Brought it up and made the initial pass, but not a ton more than that... I'd be more interested in the A/TO ratio for the guys at the top of the total assist list.

Also, having Tyus a beat behind Hurley and Jason sounds about right to me. He's a better finisher than Hurley as a freshman, and maybe a better pure point than Jason --- very close though. I said after the first open practice that I thought Jones was the key to Duke's season. It was obvious to me at that time that he was an elite PG and capable of doing things that Quinn couldn't do from the PG spot. The biggest (happy) surprise for me was how well Quinn has played off the ball; I thought having them both on the court would take the ball out of Tyus's hands too much --- I got that one completely wrong...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-06-2015, 10:32 AM

Wow, not sure where my math came from...

Early morning west coast jet lag and championshio jitters?

Go Duke!