PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 02/11/15

jimsumner
02-11-2015, 03:10 PM
Duke had a media availability today, after four days of spring (late-winter?) practice.

Here are some of the things I learned.

Positon changes seem to be on the defensive side of the ball. Dwayne Norman has moved from safety to linebacker, Deion Williams from linebacker to end, Allen Jackson from tackle to end and Alonzo Saxton from corner to safety.

Duke will still run a 4-2-5 as its base defense. But we often will see one of the ends playing straight up, as much a linebacker as defensive end. Cut says one of the goals is to “put more speed on the field, with more versatility” and put more pressure on the quarterback without blitzing.

Duke is emphasizing turnovers, both creating them on defense and avoiding them on offense. Safety Deondre Singleton says Duke has a drill called ODB, which stands for “Our damn ball,” in which the defense tries to strip the ball and the offense tries to hold on to the ball. Very spirited, by all accounts.

Cut says Duke’s defense is good at forcing turnovers but should be great, especially with the depth and experience in the secondary.

Senior [all classes rising] tackle Carlos Wray says redshirt freshmen Edgar Cerenord and Quaven Ferguson have been working very hard in the weight room and should be ready to help this fall. I've heard that Cerenord has been a weight-room monster.

Right now the starting DL is Wray and A.J. Wolf at tackle, Kyler Brown and Britton Grier at DE. Incoming freshman DE Marquies Price is enrolled and seems to be making positive impressions.

Cut says he feels better about depth at DT than at DE, which explains some of the position switches.

Speaking of incoming freshmen, Cut says Ben Humphries should begin his Duke career at linebacker. Cut went out of his way to praise incoming freshman Brandon Feamster, who he projects as a safety. Cut favorably compared him to Jeremy Cash.

Cash is not yet practicing following minor knee surgery. Little used redshirt sophomore Philip Carter is starting in his place.

DE Kyler Brown has had a good start, forcing a turnover in today’s scrimmage. Kyler says big brother Kelby is running and lifting weights and progressing well.

Former quarterback Jonathan Lloyd is healthy and making an impact at corner. Singleton says Lloyd is coachable, listens well and will be a great leader down the road. Look for Lloyd to be on the two-deep.

By all accounts, DeVon Edwards is destroying people in practice. All-America level.

Moving to offense. Thomas Sirk has played well early. Cut says don’t worry about Sirk’s arm, saying he has “a big arm, throws a great deep ball and has improved since last fall.” Cut says Sirk is taking command of the offense. Duke needs to teach him how to slide down rather than try to run over linebackers.

Sirk is taking his leadership responsibilities seriously, organizing off-field activities. Sirk says he’s fully recovered from his Achilles injury.

Cut said Parker Boehme was competing hard and that redshirt freshman Nico Pierre is “eager to learn. He’s a sponge.”

Out of nowhere guy? Could be redshirt sophomore wide receiver Terrence Alls. Singleton says Alls has stood out so far. Cut said Alls scored today on a short pass-turned 50-yard touchdown where he “looked like he was shot out of a cannon.” Cut says Alls is very fast and is making a lot of plays. “It’s all coming together.”

Chris Taylor, Trevon Lee and Anthony Nash are all getting a lot of quality work at WR. Cut says Max McCaffrey is leading the group and Duke needs Johnell Barnes to become a playmaker.

Sirk says the 6-5 Nash has made significant improvement and that he loves that big option in the red zone.

Much talk about the offensive line. Cody Robinson is starting at right guard; no surprise there. But Duke is keeping Casey Blaser at right tackle, with redshirt sophomore Gabe Brandner running at number one LT. Redshirt soph Sterling Korona and redshirt freshman Christian Harris are in the mix, as is junior Tanner Stone.

Cut says Duke’s quarterbacks are taught to get rid of the ball so quickly that there’s not much difference between LT and RT.

Cut practically salivated discussing redshirt freshman guard Jake Sanders, who he described as fast and aggressive. He says Sanders is not only blocking defensive linemen but going to the next level and taking out linebackers. Sanders has lost weight—he came in at 330-and is in better shape. Could he challenge Robinson or incumbent LG Lucas Patrick?

Cut also added that Matt Skura was the best returning center in the ACC and the anchor of the line. Cut said that Duke has more competition at OL than ever before and should play a lot more people than last year’s six-man rotation.

Sirk said that Duke has the best corps of running backs in the country. Exaggeration? Perhaps. But Cut said that Shaq Powell is in the best shape of his life and that Jela Duncan has come back from his suspension hungry and in great shape.

What have I missed? Of, yes, special teams.

Barnes, McCaffrey, Alls and Ryan Smith are all in the mix to take over Jamison Crowder’s spot as punt returner. Incoming freshman T.J. Rahming could be in the mix when he shows up this fall.

Duke is trying to “grow depth in special teams.” Cut said the end of the Sun Bowl was a “sore spot” that made it “easy to get the team’s attention.”

Devil in the Blue Dress
02-11-2015, 03:14 PM
I do love it when we talk football! Lots of good news in this report including a variety of changes to look forward to seeing in action.

OldPhiKap
02-11-2015, 03:15 PM
Great report, thanks. Hard to think about the fall right now, but it'll be here soon enough . . . .

LGD!

jimsumner
02-11-2015, 03:16 PM
Great report, thanks. Hard to think about the fall right now, but it'll be here soon enough . . . .

LGD!

It's hard to think about spring right now. :)

jjasper0729
02-11-2015, 03:16 PM
I do love it when we talk football! Lots of good news in this report including a variety of changes to look forward to seeing in action.

Lots of changes indeed... not just on the field

Good-bye Finch-Yeager (https://twitter.com/Duke_FB/status/565601656138895360/photo/1)

Duvall
02-11-2015, 03:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djTPN14dT2A

TruBlu
02-11-2015, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the update, Jim. Lots of good info.

And by the way, I was old when they built Finch-Yeager.

Bob Green
02-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Duke had a media availability today, after four days of spring (late-winter?) practice.

Here are some of the things I learned.

Thanks for the great report, Jim. A couple of comments/questions.

Former quarterback Jonathan Lloyd is healthy and making an impact at corner. Singleton says Lloyd is coachable, listens well and will be a great leader down the road. Look for Lloyd to be on the two-deep.

Everything I've read and heard about Lloyd since he was in high school indicates he is a playmaker. Cornerback is a great position for playmakers. Lloyd's performance probably influenced Saxton's position change to safety.

Sirk says he’s fully recovered from his Achilles injury.

Have you heard any comments/discussion on whether Sirk's Achilles injury limited his action in 2014? I remain perplexed he did not throw more passes. If he is fully recovered now, is it jumping to conclusions he wasn't fully recovered last fall? Watching the quarterbacks in action is my number one priority for the spring game.

Out of nowhere guy? Could be redshirt sophomore wide receiver Terrence Alls. Singleton says Alls has stood out so far. Cut said Alls scored today on a short pass-turned 50-yard touchdown where he “looked like he was shot out of a cannon.” Cut says Alls is very fast and is making a lot of plays. “It’s all coming together.”

Chris Taylor, Trevon Lee and Anthony Nash are all getting a lot of quality work at WR. Cut says Max McCaffrey is leading the group and Duke needs Johnell Barnes to become a playmaker.

Sirk says the 6-5 Nash has made significant improvement and that he loves that big option in the red zone.

We have a tremendous amount of unproven talent at wide receiver. Someone (or two or three) is going to step up - I'm convinced - who will it be? That's the question.

Much talk about the offensive line...Cut practically salivated discussing redshirt freshman guard Jake Sanders, who he described as fast and aggressive. He says Sanders is not only blocking defensive linemen but going to the next level and taking out linebackers...Could he challenge Robinson or incumbent LG Lucas Patrick?

Cut also added that Matt Skura was the best returning center in the ACC and the anchor of the line. Cut said that Duke has more competition at OL than ever before and should play a lot more people than last year’s six-man rotation.

With three seniors starting (Skura, Robinson, Patrick) it is imperative young guys like Jake Sanders and Christian Harris see significant action to build experience for the future. One element of coaching that has to be extremely difficult is balancing the need to win now while simultaneously building for future seasons.

Sirk said that Duke has the best corps of running backs in the country. Exaggeration? Perhaps. But Cut said that Shaq Powell is in the best shape of his life and that Jela Duncan has come back from his suspension hungry and in great shape.

I'm a huge fan of running the football so reading positive comments on the running backs and offensive line makes me happy!

Thanks again for the football news update, Jim. Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you!!!

Bob Green
02-11-2015, 04:18 PM
With three seniors starting...

It would have been more accurate if I had said, "With three seniors projected to start..."