PDA

View Full Version : PG Question?

duke4life32182
02-10-2015, 11:10 AM
It may have been asked already, but if Tyus Jones leaves early for the NBA, who is our PG next year?

mattman91
02-10-2015, 11:21 AM
It may have been asked already, but if Tyus Jones leaves early for the NBA, who is our PG next year?

Nick Pagliuca.

freshmanjs
02-10-2015, 11:23 AM
i heard that amile is working on his pg skills. that's why his minutes have been cut back, so he has time to do that. that's also what the FSU player was commenting on to Coach K after the game .

uh_no
02-10-2015, 12:09 PM

not sure. but answering this question is essential to success this year.

yancem
02-10-2015, 12:22 PM
I would recommend checking out the 2015 recruiting thread where this topic is being dissected 6 ways to Sunday.

CDu
02-10-2015, 03:42 PM
Rather than snark the original post, I'll answer (but do note that this has been discussed thoroughly in the 2015 recruiting thread and the Luke Kennard thread).

If Jones goes pro, there is a lot of uncertainty. One of the following will happen:

a. we will recruit heavily on the grad transfer market, with some combination of Allen, Matt Jones, and Kennard running the backup PG
b. we will do (a), but also look to add a freshman for depth (there are only a couple of 4-star PGs left, though, and it is probably unlikely that we get anyone worthwhile this route).
c. we do neither (a) nor (b) and simply roll with Allen, Matt Jones, and Kennard playing a shared role of combo guard.

Obviously, plan A is to hope that Tyus Jones comes back. If he does, we probably don't need another PG (though we may still look at a grad transfer as insurance). If he does not come back, the dropoff to the options above is substantial, and ballhandling/playmaking will be a huge question mark for us next year.

Bob Green
02-10-2015, 03:59 PM
Rather than snark the original post, I'll answer...

Thank you very much for helping keep DBR standards a notch above the typical fan message board.

subzero02
02-10-2015, 05:18 PM
I just really hope that Tyus makes this whole discussion.... Pointless

JNort
02-10-2015, 06:45 PM
I don't understand why anyone thinks he would go pro after this year. He offers very little at this point as a pro prospect. Average shooter, not gonna blow you away with his speed and plays below the rim. As a college point guard though he is better than about everyone he will play against. Reminds me of Tyler Ennis situation from last year.

Kedsy
02-10-2015, 06:53 PM
I don't understand why anyone thinks he would go pro after this year. He offers very little at this point as a pro prospect. Average shooter, not gonna blow you away with his speed and plays below the rim. As a college point guard though he is better than about everyone he will play against. Reminds me of Tyler Ennis situation from last year.

Which is why people think he might go pro -- Ennis was drafted 18th and makes some pretty decent coin right now. Tyus isn't getting any faster and won't start playing above the rim; his shooting may improve but he won't become JJ Redick or Kyle Korver (or even Andre Dawkins) by staying another year. In other words, his NBA shortcomings probably won't be fixed by additional years in college, so if he can get drafted in the teens and he's inclined to leave, he'll leave.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-10-2015, 06:56 PM

Because his potential will likely woo NBA scouts and lead to him being a top ten pick and making tens of millions of dollars over the next three years?

Ennis's cautionary tale means he is making 3.25 over two years. Plus whatever you can pick up in spare change via endorsements, and then the big bucks may come in year three.

Pretty compelling argument if you ask me. Can't say I wouldn't take the offer myself.

Having said all that, I agree - Duke, er.... Tyus would really benefit from another year.

/hate the one and done rule
//don't expect it to change

Kedsy
02-10-2015, 07:06 PM
Because his potential will likely woo NBA scouts and lead to him being a top ten pick and making tens of millions of dollars over the next three years?

I just checked out some mocks. NBADraftNet has Tyus undrafted (possibly they think he won't declare), while DraftExpress has him 25th and NBADraftRoom has him 15th (but they have Justise 16th, so I'm not sure how credible they are). Sports Illustrated has him outside the top 20. CBSSports has him 17th. I don't know that anyone thinks Tyus is a top ten pick right now.

If he works his way into the top ten, I have to think he's gone. If he's in the teens, it's a Tyler Ennis situation and it depends on whether he feels ready to go or not. If he's late first/early second, I'd think he's likely to return.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-10-2015, 07:14 PM
I just checked out some mocks. NBADraftNet has Tyus undrafted (possibly they think he won't declare), while DraftExpress has him 25th and NBADraftRoom has him 15th (but they have Justise 16th, so I'm not sure how credible they are). Sports Illustrated has him outside the top 20. CBSSports has him 17th. I don't know that anyone thinks Tyus is a top ten pick right now.

If he works his way into the top ten, I have to think he's gone. If he's in the teens, it's a Tyler Ennis situation and it depends on whether he feels ready to go or not. If he's late first/early second, I'd think he's likely to return.

I'm in no way advocating for his departure. I just think that asking "I don't understand why anyone thinks he would go pro" is being a bit naive. There were 3.25 million reasons for Ennis to go, and I imagine he saw himself going earlier.

I really enjoy Tyus's game. I'd love to see all the freshmen play four years. As it is, we will be lucky if one does.

- sorry, feeling a bit jaded today

mattman91
02-10-2015, 07:17 PM
I'm in no way advocating for his departure. I just think that asking "I don't understand why anyone thinks he would go pro" is being a bit naive. There were 3.25 million reasons for Ennis to go, and I imagine he saw himself going earlier.

I really enjoy Tyus's game. I'd love to see all the freshmen play four years. As it is, we will be lucky if one does.

- sorry, feeling a bit jaded today

I'm pretty confident we will get to keep Grayson 4 years :cool:

As for feeling jaded, 3 Ninja Porters will typically fix that.

Nosbleuatu
02-10-2015, 07:31 PM
If Jones goes pro, there is a lot of uncertainty. One of the following will happen:

a. we will recruit heavily on the grad transfer market, with some combination of Allen, Matt Jones, and Kennard running the backup PG
b. we will do (a), but also look to add a freshman for depth (there are only a couple of 4-star PGs left, though, and it is probably unlikely that we get anyone worthwhile this route).
c. we do neither (a) nor (b) and simply roll with Allen, Matt Jones, and Kennard playing a shared role of combo guard.

I hate to add anything that might add fuel to the speculation fire - but option (d) could involve an early arrival from a 2016 PG. I have no reason to think this is going to happen, but would assume the coaching staff would (or has) discussed the possibility with recruits that might be interested.

dukelifer
02-10-2015, 09:14 PM

Tyus Jones is a fine player but he is not physically ready for the NBA. If he goes because he does not like school, he will spend a lot of time in the D league. He will develop in time and may have a chance to make it, but he needs to be much stronger to play point in the NBA. Look at other smallish guards to come out of the ACC recently - Ennis and Larkin. Both are struggling. I doubt he will be a lottery pick - maybe a late first rounder- but he has a long way to go. Quinn is more physically ready than Tyus at this point.

fgb
02-10-2015, 09:28 PM
he's young, and i imagine that he could feel some sense of destiny--he and okafor as a package deal all the way into the draft.

Troublemaker
02-10-2015, 09:36 PM
If he goes because he does not like school

Let's not set up this sort of dichotomy. I think Tyus is thoroughly enjoying his Duke experience AND he might leave to make millions as a first-rounder.

As for your concern about him spending time in the D-league, it's really not that big a deal if it comes to pass. The smart teams (and the NBA is getting smarter in the front office with each passing year) utilize their D-league teams to develop young players and get them familiarized with the NBA team's offensive and defensive systems. Often, a young player will develop down in the D league and when called up, get to enter the playing rotation because of that built-up familiarity.

The smart front offices don't allow spending time in the D-league to carry a stigma anymore.

NYBri
02-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Aside from less money, teams lower in the draft are usually better teams with little need for a rookie PG. Another reason for Tyus to stay if he can't break into low teens in draft pick. Of course, if he wins ncaa mvp then all bets are off.

Indoor66
02-11-2015, 08:18 AM
Let's not set up this sort of dichotomy. I think Tyus is thoroughly enjoying his Duke experience AND he might leave to make millions as a first-rounder.

As for your concern about him spending time in the D-league, it's really not that big a deal if it comes to pass. The smart teams (and the NBA is getting smarter in the front office with each passing year) utilize their D-league teams to develop young players and get them familiarized with the NBA team's offensive and defensive systems. Often, a young player will develop down in the D league and when called up, get to enter the playing rotation because of that built-up familiarity.

The smart front offices don't allow spending time in the D-league to carry a stigma anymore.

Can anyone say Hassan Whiteside?

79-77
02-11-2015, 08:52 AM
I would love to get more than 1 year out of any of these guys, but I'm pretty skeptical. Jones is already able to take over the game at the NCAA level. He's better than Austin Rivers was as a freshman. Watching him, it just doesn't feel like he's going to stay another year.

Having said that, it's certainly possible that Jones hits the wall by the time the ACC tournament and NCAAs roll around, Duke gets knocked out early and his NBA stock drops to that of a 2nd-rounder. Not likely, IMHO, but possible. If that were to happen, it would become more likely that he stays.

dukelifer
02-11-2015, 09:33 AM

I get your point. It is true that a lot more players go to the D league. This year, TJ Warren and Ennis both were parked there to develop. The greater acceptance of the D league certainly then puts more pressure on potential first round Freshman to make a difficult choice- make money now but play in a less visible league or stay in school and get greater exposure- but that can be good or bad. The reason many Freshman may bolt is to avoid exposure or weaknesses that would push them to the second round- see James McAdoo who was a likely first rounder after his Freshman year and ended up undrafted. He is in the pros but not with first round money. I guess it all depends on the depth of the draft. The entire KY roster will likely declare- so that is a bunch right there. All this said- Tyus is most likely to play in the D league next year if he chooses to go. I just hope they change the rule that allows great players to turn pro out of high school (perhaps decided by a committee) and require others to stay at least 2 years before being eligible for the draft.

JasonEvans
02-11-2015, 10:33 AM

NBADraft.net had Tyus as a mid-20s pick in their 2016 mock draft but removed him recently. They must feel he won't declare until he is at least a junior.

HoopsHype.com does not have him in their 2015 mock at all. They don't do a 2016 mock.

Chad Forde, at ESPN, does not list him among the 20 top draft prospects. You need insider to know anything beyond that.

That said, it is still a loooong way from declaration time and I doubt Tyus is thinking about it at all at this point. If it does happen for him, it likely means he had an extremely strong finish to the season for Duke and that he showed some serious skillz in the ACC/NCAA tourney. Not the worst thing ever... right?

-Jason "K will figure something out if he does lose a lot from this year's team... I'm confident of that" Evans