PDA

View Full Version : Check out Mason Plumlee colliding with beer

evrim
02-09-2015, 05:42 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2015/01/30/mavericks-embarrass-heat-in-2nd-half-win-93-72/22630127/

Great capture :)

Bob Green
02-09-2015, 05:48 PM

fisheyes
02-09-2015, 05:49 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2015/01/30/mavericks-embarrass-heat-in-2nd-half-win-93-72/22630127/

The Horror! The Horror!

Good beer gone to waste!

devildeac
02-09-2015, 06:03 PM
The Horror! The Horror!

Good beer gone to waste!

You'll have to find out what beer is was before I'll agree it was "good beer.":p

Tom B.
02-09-2015, 06:07 PM

Here's the video. (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12294302&ex_cid=sportscenterTW)

kmspeaks
02-09-2015, 09:22 PM
For fans of Photoshop, Mason posted this picture on his Instagram.

mattman91
02-09-2015, 09:35 PM
You'll have to find out what beer is was before I'll agree it was "good beer.":p

Looks like golden suds bs macro lager. If you can afford those seats, you should be able to afford good beer, dammit!

cspan37421
02-09-2015, 09:38 PM
After 4 years at Duke I thought he'd be able to dive on the floor, save the ball and the beers (maybe one might mysteriously disappear yet not spill, right?), and then return to court in time for a trailing down-the-lane dunk.

devildeac
02-10-2015, 07:08 AM
Looks like golden suds bs macro lager. If you can afford those seats, you should be able to afford good beer, dammit!

Well, at least it wasn't any "pumpkin peach" beer:rolleyes:.

OldPhiKap
02-10-2015, 07:35 AM
"Mason Plumlee -- Destroyer of Mass-Produced Swill"

Would make a great comic book series for the kiddies.

dukelifer
02-10-2015, 08:46 AM
He should work this into his All-Star dunk routine- get the woman to come holding the beers and he dunks over her without spilling a drop.

DukeDevil
02-10-2015, 08:46 AM
wow...not sure where this came from..

“He kind of was a little brat about it; he threw his arms up in the air and stormed off,” Barr said. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know that impacted your life so much. But he played at Duke, so what do you expect?”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/02/09/wizards-beer-soaked-waitress-describes-her-sportscenter-moment/

dukelifer
02-10-2015, 08:51 AM

“He kind of was a little brat about it; he threw his arms up in the air and stormed off,” Barr said. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know that impacted your life so much. But he played at Duke, so what do you expect?”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/02/09/wizards-beer-soaked-waitress-describes-her-sportscenter-moment/

Duke hate rears it head again.

RepoMan
02-10-2015, 09:14 AM

I don't know. Probably just the angle, but the video doesn't look great. My 9 year old asked why he pushed the lady with the drinks and then got mad at her. Not a big deal, but I can see why people who watched the video were unimpressed.

MCFinARL
02-10-2015, 09:19 AM

In fairness, although I thought the waitress' comments were over the top when I read them this morning and the gratuitous Duke hate is clearly over the top, after watching the video I can see why she might have felt a little miffed, as Mason made no effort to say he was sorry or even briefly commiserate with the waitress or the fans who were doused in beer. Since play was stopped on the out of bounds, he could probably have at least nodded in their direction.

That being said, waitresses bringing large open trays of beer that close to the court seems unwise--perhaps they could be carried in a box-style tray with sides?

peterjswift
02-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Judging by current pricing in most stadiums, I estimate that to be approximately $450.00 in beer.

DukieInKansas
02-10-2015, 11:31 AM
In fairness, although I thought the waitress' comments were over the top when I read them this morning and the gratuitous Duke hate is clearly over the top, after watching the video I can see why she might have felt a little miffed, as Mason made no effort to say he was sorry or even briefly commiserate with the waitress or the fans who were doused in beer. Since play was stopped on the out of bounds, he could probably have at least nodded in their direction.

That being said, waitresses bringing large open trays of beer that close to the court seems unwise--perhaps they could be carried in a box-style tray with sides?

Or, perhaps, wait until the ball is at the other end of the floor?

JasonEvans
02-10-2015, 11:33 AM
He should work this into his All-Star dunk routine- get the woman to come holding the beers and he dunks over her without spilling a drop.

The brilliance of this cannot be overstated. He'd get 10s across the board!

devildeac
02-10-2015, 11:47 AM

The brilliance of this cannot be overstated. He'd get 10s across the board!

Who would judge him though, NBA appointees or these folks:

http://www.ratebeer.com/

http://www.beeradvocate.com/

:rolleyes:

mattman91
02-10-2015, 11:53 AM
Or, perhaps, wait until the ball is at the other end of the floor?

This is why fans shouldn't be ON the court (unless it's Cameron, of course).

DukieInKansas
02-10-2015, 12:13 PM

As long as you don't try to take away the court side seat I plan on using for a Spurs game after 4/15.

eta: assuming they make the playoffs. Darn them for winning in 5 last year - I was heading down for game 7.

MCFinARL
02-10-2015, 02:08 PM

According to the waitress, as reported in the Washington Post sports blog, it was 4 Bud Lights, a winter ale, a gin and tonic and a chardonnay. So--with the possible exception of the unidentified winter ale--not good beer.

Yes, but money talks, nobody walks. Think the Wiz get pretty good money for those court seats.

dukelifer
02-10-2015, 02:17 PM
I don't know. Probably just the angle, but the video doesn't look great. My 9 year old asked why he pushed the lady with the drinks and then got mad at her. Not a big deal, but I can see why people who watched the video were unimpressed.

She may have been justified to be miffed- but the comment that he did this because he played at Duke is the issue. She could have said "What do you expect- he is from NY or he is from the Midwest or some such ". It had to be because he was from Duke.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-10-2015, 07:19 PM
When I first saw this, I thought it said "Mason Plumlee colliding with a bear."

Don't judge me, I live in the mountains.

Duvall
02-10-2015, 08:12 PM

Mason was right to be unimpressed by Verizon Center having a server a foot from the court during gameplay. Come on, guys.

JBDuke
02-10-2015, 10:13 PM

And, if anyone had any doubts about the opinions of the Washington Post sports editors regarding Duke, this quote was the "above the headline" quote on the front page of the Sports section. They're real jerks that way.

duke74
02-10-2015, 10:26 PM
And, if anyone had any doubts about the opinions of the Washington Post sports editors regarding Duke, this quote was the "above the headline" quote on the front page of the Sports section. They're real jerks that way.

And yesterday on "Around the Horn" Tony Reali made a anti-Duke comment that was similar to those above.

alteran
02-11-2015, 08:05 AM

It IS just the angle.

If you go down to the second video clip in the WaPo story, you'll see another clip that showed how much speed Mason had to kill on not much distance. There really wasn't much he could do.

That being said, checking on the waitress would probably been the right PR move.

But that's easy to say from here, and in hindsight.

Ggallagher
02-11-2015, 09:56 AM
It is a little strange when you consider everything that goes on...

Basketball player gets stopped speeding multiple times - with drugs; throwing weapons out of a vehicle -- from that place right down the road

Multiple athletes taking courses with no academic value -- same location

Theft, alleged rape - wonderful quarterback from f$U

Arrest for false driver's license, disorderly conduct; payments for autographs -- not so hot rookie quarterback for the Browns

Bad manners -- MP2 Yipes, better drop the hammer

I guess life is just a little tougher when you're held to higher standards.

kmspeaks
02-11-2015, 10:19 AM
It is a little strange when you consider everything that goes on...

Basketball player gets stopped speeding multiple times - with drugs; throwing weapons out of a vehicle -- from that place right down the road

Multiple athletes taking courses with no academic value -- same location

Theft, alleged rape - wonderful quarterback from f$U

Arrest for false driver's license, disorderly conduct; payments for autographs -- not so hot rookie quarterback for the Browns

Bad manners -- MP2 Yipes, better drop the hammer

I guess life is just a little tougher when you're held to higher standards.

Not just higher standards, but the most ridiculous of high standards. I tried looking again so I could get it exactly right but either the comment was deleted or I couldn't find it. On the WaPo article somebody commented something close to, "he should fined, suspended, and thrown out of the league. I'm tired of his antics."

Wow! People on the internet are funny. Do I blame Mason for being ticked off that he can't take one step off the court without having to worry about hurting someone and having beer spilled on him? No. Could he have apologized? Sure. Would it have mattered? I don't think so. He went to Duke so the masses will find something bad to say about him no matter what. Some of the other comments on that article would have him jailed for assault for "shoving the waitress even though he clearly could have stopped."

DevilWearsPrada
02-11-2015, 10:52 AM

That was a Pricey Beer Splash! A great photo also!
How much do beers cost at the NBA arena? $6 - $10 a cup? A plastic lid may have helped (probably not!!)

Edouble
02-11-2015, 01:23 PM
Mason was right to be unimpressed by Verizon Center having a server a foot from the court during gameplay. Come on, guys.

It's ridiculous. She shouldn't have been there. As a server, you should be aware of your surroundings. Not a good idea to drop off your beers when the ball is on your side of the court. Mason and the waitress were both "at work". One of them wasn't aware of her surroundings. I'd be pissed if I got beer spilled on me at work due to someone else being inept.

His job was to get down to the other end of the court, not apologize to someone that spilled beer on him.

-bdbd
02-11-2015, 01:45 PM

Yeah, that was my reaction. Front page of the Sports section, you open it up and there's the bolded headline (or at least in large font above the headline), “He kind of was a little brat about it.... But he played at Duke, so what do you expect?”

In the article she talks about trying to get her boyfriend to challenge him to a duel or something... (but the boyfriend settled for just sending out a bunch of hateful/insulting internet messages re Plum).

All I can say is, "SHE'S FROM MARYLAND, SO WHAT DO YOU EXPECT."
Waitressing is probably about the right career aspiration.

Those of us in DC have long-since learned how DC Sports media is rife with MD Journalism School grads...

Lennies
02-11-2015, 05:26 PM
It was clear that the waitress flopped!

mkirsh
02-11-2015, 07:33 PM
That being said, checking on the waitress would probably been the right PR move.

The best PR move would be for him to fly her up to NYC for the dunk contest and then jump over her holding a tray of beer for one of his dunks

Edouble
02-11-2015, 11:45 PM
Yeah, that was my reaction. Front page of the Sports section, you open it up and there's the bolded headline (or at least in large font above the headline), “He kind of was a little brat about it.... But he played at Duke, so what do you expect?”

In the article she talks about trying to get her boyfriend to challenge him to a duel or something... (but the boyfriend settled for just sending out a bunch of hateful/insulting internet messages re Plum).

All I can say is, "SHE'S FROM MARYLAND, SO WHAT DO YOU EXPECT."
Waitressing is probably about the right career aspiration.

Those of us in DC have long-since learned how DC Sports media is rife with MD Journalism School grads...

You can challenge her comments about Duke people, and put down waitresses in the same post? Classic man. Way to feed right into her stereotype.

Some of my best friends work in the hospitality industry, and they have much more class than you, sir.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
02-12-2015, 09:37 AM
You can challenge her comments about Duke people, and put down waitresses in the same post? Classic man. Way to feed right into her stereotype.

Some of my best friends work in the hospitality industry, and they have much more class than you, sir.

Yea some people make a really good living serving. Its steady work that if you are good at it, you may land a job at an arena and get really good tips from people who sit court side at NBA games. I bet she even made some extra that night after the collision because people felt sorry for her.

Never mess with the people that serve you food or drinks is my motto.

alteran
02-12-2015, 10:57 AM
Never mess with the people that serve you food or drinks is my motto.

I am shocked how many people don't get this.

Just watch Fight Club.

-bdbd
02-12-2015, 11:30 AM

It was obviously said in jest. Get some class??! How about "get a clue" dude.

DukieInKansas
02-12-2015, 12:28 PM
I am shocked how many people don't get this.

Just watch Fight Club.

Shhhh! We don't talk about - well, you know what we don't talk about. :D

AIRFORCEDUKIE
02-12-2015, 03:27 PM
uhh ohh what if there is a world wide MP2 waitress scheme. He will have to be very worried about any restaurant he goes into now, because they all talk its a secret society that really controls the world. They have the power to make anyone sick at any time. I fear for MP2 and worry about what he will be ingesting at restaurants and arenas from now on. HE MUST MAKE AMENDS!!!!:cool:

Edouble
02-12-2015, 05:04 PM
It was obviously said in jest. Get some class??! How about "get a clue" dude.

Hmm, so obvious that several posters missed it.

The only joke you made was making fun of people who do certain work for a living, and it's not funny. You can't back out of it now. You put people down, and that's that.

And I never said for you to get some class. It's clearly beyond your grasp.

flyingdutchdevil
02-12-2015, 05:18 PM
Hmm, so obvious that several posters missed it.

The only joke you made was making fun of people who do certain work for a living, and it's not funny. You can't back out of it now. You put people down, and that's that.

And I never said for you to get some class. It's clearly beyond your grasp.

Mods - please get this under control. There is poor and uncalled for attacks going on. Shut this thread down as we've exhausted discussing the topic and resorted to attackkng each other.

DukeDevil
02-12-2015, 05:26 PM
Mods - please get this under control. There is poor and uncalled for attacks going on. Shut this thread down as we've exhausted discussing the topic and resorted to attackkng each other.

Hear hear. Although I will support the idea of the mason bringing her up for the dunk (drunk?) contest...would be a great way to make amends (if you feel he slighted her) or show there's no harm/no foul (if you feel she slighted him), be clever and stand out, and also make people chuckle during the whole thing.