PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast Episode 11

Dev11
02-08-2015, 07:48 PM
Lots of ACC news this weekend, so this episode was a little longer. We got it up earlier than usual, so I'll share it here earlier than usual.

Links:
Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast)
iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dbr-podcast/id954964236?mt=2)
Stitcher (http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/58077/details)

Time stamps:

Welcome to Episode 11! Mark Newton (Newton_14) is sitting in for Donald this week. Jason and Sam are still here, and Sam has a new microphone.
1:30 Reflections on Dean Smith's passing
11:05 Syracuse imposes a postseason ban for academic issues. What does it mean?
20:50 Virginia loses Justin Anderson likely for the rest of the regular season. We'll get to Duke eventually.
26:10 We're talking about Duke! Welcome to Cameron, Notre Dame! Jason gets giddy, avoids losing control.
33:35 Georgia Tech hung with Duke. They will never shoot that well again. We're jealous that Mark gets to go to all these fun games in Cameron.
36:40 Duke goes to FSU on Monday. Sam makes his first factual blunder of the week.
42:35 Duke goes to Syracuse on Saturday. Sam makes his second factual blunder of the week. Don't trust him.
49:00 Player of the Week awards.
53:00 We're doing a cool interview for next week's show!
54:00 So long! Jason maybe offends Donald, who isn't even here.

Thanks to Mark Newton for joining us this week! As always, please leave reviews and comments.

grad_devil
02-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Thanks so much for the hard work - these are enjoyable!

Does it take a while to show up on Stitcher? Currently episode 10 is the most recent.

Thanks again!

Dev11
02-08-2015, 10:12 PM
Thanks so much for the hard work - these are enjoyable!

Does it take a while to show up on Stitcher? Currently episode 10 is the most recent.

Thanks again!

I'm not sure how long it takes Stitcher to refresh. If it's not there when you look at it tomorrow morning, PM me.

iTunes grabs it immediately from Soundcloud, to my knowledge.

Billy Dat
02-09-2015, 09:14 AM
Loved the pod, as always, fellas.

Very excited to hear Newton_14 on the pod, well done Mark. Aside from your usual astute observations, I thought you did an EXCELLENT job improv-ing with Jason's Dog, Cameron. I thought you had the ad lib of the pod when you said, "Put him on the committee." Jason, for what it's worth, Cameron seems to have learned a lot of basketball during his time in your family. His barking was really well timed, he was not having any of this NCAA infraction nonsense, and he really seemed to enjoy that ND game, like the rest of us.

And, since dog spelled backwards is God, maybe Cameron was Dean weighing in from the great beyond, the sky being Carolina Blue and all. In all seriousness, I thought you guys did a really good job commenting on Dean and his legacy, especially the X and O stuff, some of which I did not realize were his contributions, or ones he amplified (e.g. pass to halfcourt and timeout in short clock situations).

Dev11
02-09-2015, 10:45 AM
I've suspected for a few weeks that Cameron knows a lot more than he lets on to Jason.

Newton_14
02-09-2015, 10:50 PM
Loved the pod, as always, fellas.

Very excited to hear Newton_14 on the pod, well done Mark. Aside from your usual astute observations, I thought you did an EXCELLENT job improv-ing with Jason's Dog, Cameron. I thought you had the ad lib of the pod when you said, "Put him on the committee." Jason, for what it's worth, Cameron seems to have learned a lot of basketball during his time in your family. His barking was really well timed, he was not having any of this NCAA infraction nonsense, and he really seemed to enjoy that ND game, like the rest of us.

And, since dog spelled backwards is God, maybe Cameron was Dean weighing in from the great beyond, the sky being Carolina Blue and all. In all seriousness, I thought you guys did a really good job commenting on Dean and his legacy, especially the X and O stuff, some of which I did not realize were his contributions, or ones he amplified (e.g. pass to halfcourt and timeout in short clock situations).

Thanks Billy. I greatly appreciate your comments. I was a bit nervous, given it was my first time doing that, but hopefully did not embarrass myself. It was also a lot of fun to be honest. Jason is great at hosting which helped a lot, and Sam is just a hilarious dude, so it put me at ease once we got going. And hey, discussing Duke hoops is always a blast anyway. That part was easy. :)

DukeDevil
02-09-2015, 11:12 PM
I reiterate my comment on the post game thread. Jason Evans is no longer allowed to reference an opposing team's poor shooting percentage. :mad:

JasonEvans
02-10-2015, 11:27 AM
I reiterate my comment on the post game thread. Jason Evans is no longer allowed to reference an opposing team's poor shooting percentage. :mad:

Ha! As I noted in the podcast, I dissed Tech and they hit 8-11, so when I dissed FSU, I predicted they too would hit 8-11 from three. I am pleased to report they were only 7-14 (50%), which was far worse than I expected them to shoot ;)

As a point of reference, here is how FSU has done from 3 in all their 2015 games.

Duke 7-14 (50%)
Va Tech 8-18 (44%)
Clemson 4-14 (28%)
Miami 3-9 (33%)
Wake 5-13 (38%)
UNC 8-23 (34%)
Clemson 3-13 (23%)
NCSU 4-14 (26%)
Pitt 4-11 (36%)
Syracuse 2-16 (12%)
Va Tech 8-16 (50%)
Miss St 6-14 (43%)

So, they merely tied their best performance of the year against us. Not like this game was an outlier or anything ;)

-Jason "sigh... this is becoming a pattern against some mediocre teams -- Ga Tech (73%), NC St (62%), Miami (50%), FSU (50%)" Evans

Skitzle
02-10-2015, 12:17 PM
Ha! As I noted in the podcast, I dissed Tech and they hit 8-11, so when I dissed FSU, I predicted they too would hit 8-11 from three. I am pleased to report they were only 7-14 (50%), which was far worse than I expected them to shoot ;)

As a point of reference, here is how FSU has done from 3 in all their 2015 games.

Duke 7-14 (50%)
Va Tech 8-18 (44%)
Clemson 4-14 (28%)
Miami 3-9 (33%)
Wake 5-13 (38%)
UNC 8-23 (34%)
Clemson 3-13 (23%)
NCSU 4-14 (26%)
Pitt 4-11 (36%)
Syracuse 2-16 (12%)
Va Tech 8-16 (50%)
Miss St 6-14 (43%)

So, they merely tied their best performance of the year against us. Not like this game was an outlier or anything ;)

-Jason "sigh... this is becoming a pattern against some mediocre teams -- Ga Tech (73%), NC St (62%), Miami (50%), FSU (50%)" Evans

We lost 2 of those games.... Seems like a good way to lose a game...

blazindw
02-10-2015, 08:10 PM
BTW, I'm angry, ANGRY, at Jason for messing up which game I was at on Sunday...it was USA-Panama. Angry I tell you! ;)

Great job and special thanks to Newton_14 for holding it down in my absence. You did really well! It definitely kept me entertained yesterday at work!

JasonEvans
02-11-2015, 10:08 AM
BTW, I'm angry, ANGRY, at Jason for messing up which game I was at on Sunday...it was USA-Panama. Angry I tell you! ;)

I knew it was a "P" country... Portugal, Paraguay, Panama... they're all the same, right?

;)