PDA

View Full Version : RIP Coach Dean Smith

vick
02-08-2015, 09:14 AM
WRAL (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/page/12745416/?break_id=11603) and others report that Dean Smith died last night.

Sad news; dementia is a truly horrible disease. RIP.

roywhite
02-08-2015, 09:14 AM
**delete -- other threads

dukelifer
02-08-2015, 09:15 AM
One of the greats passes. Condolences to his family.

superdave
02-08-2015, 09:17 AM
One of the greats passes. Condolences to his family.

Sad to hear. Praying for peace for his family.

Duke95
02-08-2015, 09:17 AM
RIP Dean Smith, one of the coaching greats.

Troublemaker
02-08-2015, 09:18 AM
Sad to hear. Praying for peace for his family.

Likewise. RIP

NashvilleDevil
02-08-2015, 09:20 AM
Not the news you like to wake up to. Prayers to his family and the Carolina family.

Henderson
02-08-2015, 09:44 AM
RIP Coach. You were one of the greats.

I wonder if there will be any sort of tribute in CIS on the 18th. I hope so. An after-game thing would be good.

moonpie23
02-08-2015, 09:48 AM
A legend passes........R.I.P.. :(

gurufrisbee
02-08-2015, 09:51 AM
To all the Tar Heels and Smith family out there - so sad to hear about your loss. He was an icon.

howardlander
02-08-2015, 10:06 AM
When I was in school, one of my friends used to make some cash by doing magic shows. Somehow he was hired by Dean Smith to do a show at his house for some kind of kids party. My friend rings the doorbell, and a man introduces himself with "Hi, I'm Dean Smith". My friend, who was clueless about basketball, answers with "Cool, and what are you the Dean of?". Coach Smith's reply is unrecorded ...

Devilwin
02-08-2015, 10:25 AM
Thoughts and prayers sent for his family and our rivals in light blue. A giant passes. Rest in peace, Dean..

DukeDiva
02-08-2015, 10:38 AM
RIP to one of the Great Coaches of his time. Thoughts to his family and the Carolina family.

porkpa
02-08-2015, 10:42 AM
One of my picks of the five greatest college coaches ever - in no particular order Dean Smith, John Wooden, Coach K, Bobby Knight and Rick Pitino.
RIP Coach Smith.

DevilWearsPrada
02-08-2015, 10:52 AM
Rest in Peace Coach Dean Smith! Continued Prayers for the Smith Family & Friends. Coach Smith had a great impact on his Players, staff and the entire Unc community.

Great news coverage giving Tribute on ESPN, and local www.abc11.com

uh_no
02-08-2015, 10:56 AM
RIP Coach. You were one of the greats.

I wonder if there will be any sort of tribute in CIS on the 18th. I hope so. An after-game thing would be good.

would be shocked if there wasn't a moment of silence before the game.

i would be surprised if there was a post-game thing.

53n206
02-08-2015, 11:12 AM
A loss to basketball fans everywhere. Great coach and superb developer of talent both of players and coaches. He will be missed.

Henderson
02-08-2015, 11:44 AM

You might be right about how it unfolds. I'm not making any predictions.

But there's a game to play. A pregame salute would be tough to manage. You don't want to take the sting out of our team by going overboard, and yet Dean deserves something special from Duke. A post-game thing could be kind of nice, win or lose. My view anyway.

NashvilleDevil
02-08-2015, 11:45 AM

What did Duke do prior to the game after the UNC girl was killed?

sagegrouse
02-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Dean Smith used his position to advance things he believed were right, especially on civil rights. He has been away from the game for 15 years or more, but he will be remembered for a long, long time.

throatybeard
02-08-2015, 11:46 AM
To be honest, I'm a little surprised. Dementia notwithstanding, I always sort of thought he'd live well into his 90s like his parents did. IIRC, he only lost them in the 1990s a few years before he retired.

I too would expect something before the game on the 18th, not after. Perhaps at halftime.

uh_no
02-08-2015, 12:28 PM
What did Duke do prior to the game after the UNC girl was killed?

moment of silence just prior to player introductions

jv001
02-08-2015, 12:33 PM
Prayers for his family and friends. God bless.

mattman91
02-08-2015, 12:36 PM
It's a sad day in the world of basketball. Rest in peace, Dean.

DarkstarWahoo
02-08-2015, 12:41 PM
I lost my grandfather to Alzheimer's as a teenager, and that's still probably the worst experience of my life. This man, whom I had loved and admired so deeply, just disappeared into himself. After he died, I remember asking my father, a stoic man, why he didn't appear to be grieving, and his response was "I lost him a long time ago." It's a horrid, evil disease, and I imagine Smith's family feels some measure of peace with their grief today. He was living, but he wasn't alive.

I cut my teeth as a college hoops junkie during the latter part of Smith's heyday. I was a Virginia superfan who went to the ACC tournament most years, and I was also a child and then a teenager with no perspective on anything, so as you can imagine, I loathed him. To me, he was UNC coming back on UVA after the lights went out in Charlotte, or the guy who got in a fight with Rick Barnes. He was the living embodiment of the way the Greensboro Coliseum filled up with baby blue over the course of the tournament every year. I couldn't stand him. That was, of course, before I knew the true measure of the man and what he accomplished, what he stood for, in his life. And while the biggest reason for that was youthful ignorance on my part, it was also because he never blew his own horn. A few competitive foibles aside, he nearly always did the right thing for the right reason. He's an absolute giant, and the way his life ended was sad and awful. RIP.

jipops
02-08-2015, 12:48 PM
This was one of those remember-where-you-were-when-you-heard-it type breaking stories. We knew his health was declining but this still feels shocking. Though I'm the furthest thing from a unc fan I loved how he represented my home state with such integrity.

Olympic Fan
02-08-2015, 01:02 PM
I lost my grandfather to Alzheimer's as a teenager, and that's still probably the worst experience of my life. This man, whom I had loved and admired so deeply, just disappeared into himself. After he died, I remember asking my father, a stoic man, why he didn't appear to be grieving, and his response was "I lost him a long time ago." It's a horrid, evil disease, and I imagine Smith's family feels some measure of peace with their grief today. He was living, but he wasn't alive.

I lost my father to Alzheimer's and I agree, it's just about a cruel a way to go as I can imagine. All my sympathy for the Smith family and for the UNC nation. I'll get back to the rivalry tomorrow, for one day, I can put it aside to honor one of the icons of ACC basketball.

OldPhiKap
02-08-2015, 01:07 PM
Prayers for his family.

DU82
02-08-2015, 02:04 PM

A moment of silence was held before today's Duke-Clemson women's game.

BluBones
02-08-2015, 02:13 PM
“You should never be proud of doing what’s right. You should just do what’s right.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/memories-of-dean-smith-linger-even-as-his-memory-sadly-fails-him/2014/03/01/fade81c0-a0ae-11e3-b8d8-94577ff66b28_story.html

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-08-2015, 03:07 PM
As much respect as I had for the man, and as much as I loved rooting against him, I'm a little surprised by the emotion I feel at his passing.

Truly one of the pillars of the sport who had as much effect on the game as we know it as anyone ever.

Horrible way to go. I anticipate the memorials will and should last through the Duke/UNC game, the ACC Tourney, and the NCAA Tourney.

left_hook_lacey
02-08-2015, 03:15 PM
I'm not ashamed to admit I teared up a little when I heard this news. I guess part of it was because I grew up watching the heated rivalry during the 80's and 90's. Those years are what molded me into the huge ACC fan I am today. A large majority of that is because of Mr. Dean E. Smith. For that, I will always grateful. It reminds me that we are all mortal, and will also put silly things aside and return to the earth.

College basketball lost one of the true greats today and will surely be missed.

RIP coach. RIP.

As far as the game, I think it would be really cool if the crowd held up 4 fingers like Dean used to do when he wanted run 4 corners, while having a moment of silence.

dukelifer
02-08-2015, 03:58 PM
As much respect as I had for the man, and as much as I loved rooting against him, I'm a little surprised by the emotion I feel at his passing.

Truly one of the pillars of the sport who had as much effect on the game as we know it as anyone ever.

Horrible way to go. I anticipate the memorials will and should last through the Duke/UNC game, the ACC Tourney, and the NCAA Tourney.

Maybe because for many of us who watched basketball in the 70's through the 90's, he evoked many emotions from us- many involving tears. His teams were always the model of excellence and beating them was always a great accomplishment- even during the Duke's glory days of the late 80's and early 90's. Two great programs going head to head time and time again. In '91, his UNC team crushed Duke by 22 in the ACC tourney. My thoughts before the Final Four that year was that we would probably beat UNLV only to face UNC in the finals and lose- and never live that down. Thankfully Roy's Kansas team pulled off the upset - and Armageddon was avoided- and the monkey came off Duke's back finally. K became K because he had Smith to chase and battle all those years. Not sure that time will ever be repeated. Dean was a legend and K has become one. This was likely the most important time in the college game as TV brought the NCAA tourney into national prominence even for the casual fan. Duke/UNC was known far beyond 15-501 and both Universities benefitted by the unprecedented visibility. Dean had a big impact on NC and even Duke. Someday- the UNC fans will recognize that K was good for them- but I suspect that will be much harder.

77devil
02-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Dean Smith used his position to advance things he believed were right, especially on civil rights. He has been away from the game for 15 years or more, but he will be remembered for a long, long time.

I convinced Dean to write a decent size check to NCPIRG when I worked there as a student. In fact, it didn't take that much convincing. I think his politics were pretty progressive at the time.

Having a rival like Dean must have made Coach K work that much harder and become an even better coach. And we have Dean to thank for his endorsement of K to take over the floundering USA basketball program. "There’s only one college coach up there who can get the job done and that’s Coach K." - Dean Smith

Atlanta Duke
02-08-2015, 05:14 PM
During my 4 years at Duke there were some particularly brutal memories of the UNC games (8 points in 17 seconds, Bobby Jones intercepts the inbound pass from Paul Fox) but in hindsight that is outweighed by being fortunate to have become aware of Coach Smith, how he conducted himself as a coach and his actions outside of basketball

Just a great loss and so sad how his last years passed

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-08-2015, 05:53 PM
I convinced Dean to write a decent size check to NCPIRG when I worked there as a student. In fact, it didn't take that much convincing. I think his politics were pretty progressive at the time.

Having a rival like Dean must have made Coach K work that much harder and become an even better coach. And we have Dean to thank for his endorsement of K to take over the floundering USA basketball program. "There’s only one college coach up there who can get the job done and that’s Coach K." - Dean Smith

Deep dark secret - Dean's politics are much more in line with mine than K's are - at least as best I have heard through the grapevine.

Dean was very progressive. In a time and a place where being "progressive" was not popular.

cdwduke1965
02-08-2015, 05:56 PM
I've been an "official Dukie" for 55 years, since my acceptance into undergrad school. I wasn't an athlete, but I was a huge fan of Duke! I've seen coaches and teams come and go. But of all the coaches our teams faced, Coach Smith was special.
No words adequately describe, first, how absolutely crazy Coach Smith drove all of us during his active tenure, and, second, what a terrific coach and human being he was. Certainly, his place in the basketball pantheon with Coach Rupp, Coach Wooden, Coach Knight, Coach K, and all the rest of the coaching icons is secure. He's right there at the top with the best there ever were.
But, no matter how much I wanted my Dukies to pound his teams into the hardwood, I tried to remember that Coach Smith was not just a coach. He was unabashedly a Christian, a Baptist who knew that his faith had to be expressed in things like caring for people, instilling life-long values in the kids around him, and, above all, including of all of God's human family in his own family, Tar Heel Nation.
So, to all my Tar Heel friends -- my Carolina alumna daughter first among them -- sincere sympathy as you mourn the loss of this great human being.
And to all of us Dukies, let's not forget, when we yell, "Go, Duke!" that the quality of the rivalry rests on a foundation that Coach Smith was so instrumental in putting in place.
Go with God, Coach Smith, and be at peace.

Edouble
02-08-2015, 06:42 PM
And to all of us Dukies, let's not forget, when we yell, "Go, Duke!" that the quality of the rivalry rests on a foundation that Coach Smith was so instrumental in putting in place.

Maybe when we yell "Go To Hell Carolina". I yell "Go Duke" many times besides the two games a year that we play the Tarheels in men's basketball.

Im4howdy
02-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Somehow I imagine Jimmy V. was the first to greet Dean in heaven, a big smile on his face saying something like, "Hey Dean, they don't have a shock clock up here....you can hold the ball forever." (of course you probably can't run 4-corners in heaven either)

BD80
02-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Somehow I imagine Jimmy V. was the first to greet Dean in heaven, a big smile on his face saying something like, "Hey Dean, they don't have a shock clock up here....you can hold the ball forever." (of course you probably can't run 4-corners in heaven either)

Won't Phil Ford make it up there?

Newton_14
02-08-2015, 10:11 PM
The ACC and UNC lost an Icon today. Very sad. Dementia is an awful disease. While we hated him with the rivalry, I would hope most recognized the brilliance that was Dean Smith. A coaching legend and one of the greatest coaches of all time. I feel there is no doubt that K is where he is today due to Dean setting the bar so high. A brilliant coaching mind, brilliant x's and o's guy, and he could take average talent, have them run his system and beat teams with better talent. People remember the stars, Charlie Scott, Phil Ford, Al Wood, James Worthy, Sam Perkins, Michael Jordan, etc, but some of Dean's best coaching came during the few lean years, where the talent was not elite.

Today will indeed be a day when we say, I was at x, doing y, when I heard the news on the tv, radio, internet, etc.

RIP Dean Smith

Prayers of comfort and peace to the family members he left behind.

BobbyFan
02-08-2015, 10:21 PM
I lost my grandfather to Alzheimer's as a teenager, and that's still probably the worst experience of my life. This man, whom I had loved and admired so deeply, just disappeared into himself.

Sorry that you had to experience this. Watching loved ones go through the disease evokes such heartbreak and helplessness.

RIP Dean Smith

devildeac
02-08-2015, 10:49 PM
This one might have serious, serious repercussions and ramifications if anyone can identify the cute young lad in this photo:

http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/download/file.php?id=1914&t=1

Turk
02-09-2015, 08:33 AM
This one might have serious, serious repercussions and ramifications if anyone can identify the cute young lad in this photo:

http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/download/file.php?id=1914&t=1

The cute young lad is Dean Smith, duh. ;-)

Turk
02-09-2015, 08:55 AM
I coach (using the word loosely) a 9th / 10th high school CYO team. It is customary before our games to bring the teams and coaches to center court, where a player from the home team will lead a mumbled Our Father or Hail Mary, ask our respective patron saints to pray for us, and then get on with the proceedings. We had a game last night, and when the teams gathered around the circle, I took a moment to comment on Coach Smith, what he meant to the game, more importantly outside of the game, and to also remember the struggles of families dealing with Alzheimers. I think I caught my kids by surprise; they know I am a Duke alum, and I pretty much always give them a hard time if they wear anything close to that faded washed out shade of blue (and may the saints protect any kid showing up in their logowear) to any of my practices.

DarkstarWahoo
02-09-2015, 09:03 AM
Seeing the Bobby Hurley avatar reminded me...I actually had the opportunity to speak with Dan Hurley yesterday, and he said that his brother likely would have been a Tar Heel if they hadn't taken King Rice the year before. I figure enough time has passed that it's OK to bring that up here :p

In all seriousness, he had nothing but good things to say about Dean and K.

devildeac
02-09-2015, 09:22 AM
The cute young lad is Dean Smith, duh. ;-)

Remember, I used the words "cute" and "young."

:o:rolleyes:

roywhite
02-09-2015, 09:22 AM
I think of Dean the UNC Coach as a great actor playing a role -- that of a villain in the Duke/UNC rivalry. And he played that role so well; truly, a character that Duke fans could boo and hiss. When he stepped down from coaching, that role went to an understudy, and it wasn't quite the same without Dean; I missed that particular villain and felt that those who filled that role never gave quite the performance that Dean did.

With the passage of time, most Duke fans have been able to separate the man from his role. Dean was a fine, decent man, indeed a great man in many ways. Rest in Peace, Dean.

devildeac
02-09-2015, 09:24 AM
Seeing the Bobby Hurley avatar reminded me...I actually had the opportunity to speak with Dan Hurley yesterday, and he said that his brother likely would have been a Tar Heel if they hadn't taken King Rice the year before. I figure enough time has passed that it's OK to bring that up here :p

And, IIRC, when asked if he would stop recruiting Kenny Anderson if Bobby committed to unc, Dean replied he wouldn't so Hurley came to Duke.

Billy Dat
02-09-2015, 09:24 AM
This post may be a little "meta", but I found this in the comments section under a ESPN.com piece about Dean's passing and thought everyone here would enjoy it. It was posted by someone named Thomas Hamilton - maybe he's a DBR guy known by something different? Who knows, but this story is awesome and shows a sense of humor that I don't think we got to see often, especially in CIS, but I am sure it helped that he was walking out with a W:

"I am a huge Duke fan that grew up on Tobacco road. I met Coach Smith quite a few times over a span of 25 years or so. I teased him, pulled jokes on him, and often was borderline crazy. Coach Smith took it all in stride and we shared a memory or two going into the 1985 game in Cameron. I was lucky that my cousin had traded haircuts for some tickets that landed us in the end zone beside the heel's bench. I admired Kenny Smith and Brad Daugherty, but I yelled hard for me devil's that day. At half-time when the players left to go to the locker room I reached out to give "5's" to everyone" I am a true Duke man through and true, but at that point I was also a huge fan of all athletes(I was only 11 at this game). When Coach Smith reached out I jokingly pulled back quickly and yelled"Sike"!!!! Well after half-time the crazies apparently had seen this little exchange unfold and they began to chant at Coach Smith-Dean Got Dissed over and over and over. I was in pure Blue Devil Heaven, until we lost.... I had to wait for the floor to clear before I could leave and lo and behold I looked up to a smiling Dean Smith for the locker room. You see I did not bother to shake any UNC players hands after the game, I wasn't pissy, just heartbroken!!! Well Coach Smith would have none of that from me, he reached out and I reluctently smiled and reached back to shake in good sportsmanship. Well he moved his hand faster then I thought his old self could (He was maybe 53 or so,lol). After pulling his hand back I heard Sike from the Coach himself and I thought I was had and quite frankly I was ready to go a couple of our verbal sparring matches for a minute or two, but I knew He was in a hurry so I didn't even say a word, I just smiled and expected him to hurry along. He stopped though after a couple of steps and walked back to me and asked if I had finally learned to swallow my tongue- very jokingly I should add. I said no sir and called him Mr. Papa Smurf as I always did around town. He laughed and laughed( I would have too if Duke had won) and reached over and gave me the pen in his pocket, called me lil' I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ie and I admit I smiled a lot. Coach Smith was a legend and I am so glad I got to root against him all of these years. I hope his family, friends, and fan base will accept my personal condolences and , please know that I will miss him and no one can ever replace him. R.I.P. COACH SMITH, , Mr. Papa Smurf!!!!!!!!"

DarkstarWahoo
02-09-2015, 09:38 AM
Sorry that you had to experience this. Watching loved ones go through the disease evokes such heartbreak and helplessness.

RIP Dean Smith

Thanks, man. (And thanks to the other poster who had a similar comment.) But truth be told, the fact that that is the worst thing I've gone through indicates to me that I've had a really lucky, charmed life so far. Still got both parents, wonderful wife, great, healthy kids. Granddaddy's illness aside, I've got no complaints.

DukieInKansas
02-09-2015, 11:22 AM
Condolences to the Smith family and Tar Heel faithful. The world lost a good man and a great coach.

As much as I disliked him because he was unc basketball, I admired him as a man and a coach. I've always thought the game with the 7-0 halftime score was one of the few times I saw him out coached.

RIP, Coach Smith. The world and basketball is a better place for knowing you.

Edouble
02-09-2015, 11:30 AM
This post may be a little "meta", but I found this in the comments section under a ESPN.com piece about Dean's passing and thought everyone here would enjoy it. It was posted by someone named Thomas Hamilton - maybe he's a DBR guy known by something different? Who knows, but this story is awesome and shows a sense of humor that I don't think we got to see often, especially in CIS, but I am sure it helped that he was walking out with a W:

"I am a huge Duke fan that grew up on Tobacco road. I met Coach Smith quite a few times over a span of 25 years or so. I teased him, pulled jokes on him, and often was borderline crazy. Coach Smith took it all in stride and we shared a memory or two going into the 1985 game in Cameron. I was lucky that my cousin had traded haircuts for some tickets that landed us in the end zone beside the heel's bench. I admired Kenny Smith and Brad Daugherty, but I yelled hard for me devil's that day. At half-time when the players left to go to the locker room I reached out to give "5's" to everyone" I am a true Duke man through and true, but at that point I was also a huge fan of all athletes(I was only 11 at this game). When Coach Smith reached out I jokingly pulled back quickly and yelled"Sike"!!!! Well after half-time the crazies apparently had seen this little exchange unfold and they began to chant at Coach Smith-Dean Got Dissed over and over and over. I was in pure Blue Devil Heaven, until we lost.... I had to wait for the floor to clear before I could leave and lo and behold I looked up to a smiling Dean Smith for the locker room. You see I did not bother to shake any UNC players hands after the game, I wasn't pissy, just heartbroken!!! Well Coach Smith would have none of that from me, he reached out and I reluctently smiled and reached back to shake in good sportsmanship. Well he moved his hand faster then I thought his old self could (He was maybe 53 or so,lol). After pulling his hand back I heard Sike from the Coach himself and I thought I was had and quite frankly I was ready to go a couple of our verbal sparring matches for a minute or two, but I knew He was in a hurry so I didn't even say a word, I just smiled and expected him to hurry along. He stopped though after a couple of steps and walked back to me and asked if I had finally learned to swallow my tongue- very jokingly I should add. I said no sir and called him Mr. Papa Smurf as I always did around town. He laughed and laughed( I would have too if Duke had won) and reached over and gave me the pen in his pocket, called me lil' I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ie and I admit I smiled a lot. Coach Smith was a legend and I am so glad I got to root against him all of these years. I hope his family, friends, and fan base will accept my personal condolences and , please know that I will miss him and no one can ever replace him. R.I.P. COACH SMITH, , Mr. Papa Smurf!!!!!!!!"

What is this? This is the strangest story I have ever read. The poster never says how he knew Dean Smith. He also says that at age 11 he and Dean already shared memories together. Huh?

Then Dean used a curse word in front of him???

Why did he give him the pen in his pocket? That seems kind of random.

This whole thing seems fabricated.

jipops
02-09-2015, 12:29 PM

I seem to remember the story being along the lines of Dean being all-in for Kenny Anderson. And while Hurley wanted to go the unc, K was all-in for him. Regardless of what happened, it all worked out quite well for us.

Billy Dat
02-09-2015, 12:50 PM
What is this? This is the strangest story I have ever read. The poster never says how he knew Dean Smith. He also says that at age 11 he and Dean already shared memories together. Huh?

Then Dean used a curse word in front of him???

Why did he give him the pen in his pocket? That seems kind of random.

This whole thing seems fabricated.

I didn't catch the DBR "I'm a real wanker" insert...the original quote said "Little Dukie" but it was spelled with two os so maybe it triggered the troll sensor. I think the guy was basically saying that he'd run into Dean around the triangle, I assume at games, and he used to try and stick it to him, but that Dean was friendly enough to have a little fun with the kid during that game exchange, the pen, a Carolina one, presumably a way to give the kid a little keepsake of the exchange and also stick it to him a little (coaches don't wear sweatbands and other stuff to peel off and give a fan) Maybe it was fabricated, but the detail seemed plausible to me.

jimsumner
02-09-2015, 02:10 PM
I seem to remember the story being along the lines of Dean being all-in for Kenny Anderson. And while Hurley wanted to go the unc, K was all-in for him. Regardless of what happened, it all worked out quite well for us.

Hurley wanted to get his recruitment over. He asked Smith if he would accept a commitment from him and stop recruiting Kenny Anderson. Smith declined. Krzyzewski was given the same option and accepted.

And Anderson ended up at Georgia Tech.

It's easy to spin this as smart-Krzyzewski-dumb-Smith. But King Rice was actually two seasons ahead of Hurley and Anderson. So Smith could afford to roll the dice on Anderson. K was losing Quinn Snyder and did not have an heir apparent in the program. So, he had to have a point guard from that class. A different risk/reward dynamic.

Jeffrey
02-10-2015, 10:19 AM
Hurley wanted to get his recruitment over. He asked Smith if he would accept a commitment from him and stop recruiting Kenny Anderson. Smith declined. Krzyzewski was given the same option and accepted.

Hi Jim,

Did K's interest in 4 year players factor into his decision?