PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Question

jmck214
02-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Am I the only one that wants them to be undefeated heading into the Tourney? Clearly the pressure of going undefeated is affecting them seeing that they struggle against average teams in the SEC. Once in the tourney that pressure is only going to build. I know I am getting ahead of myself but if Duke plays UK it will most likely be in the final four and the pressure on Kentucky will be immense. Could be 91 UNLV all over again. Conversely if UK gets a loss I think it will allow them to play loose and it will be harder for them to fall in March

Edouble
02-07-2015, 10:39 PM
I don't care. We're winning this thing either way.

Seriously. I honestly don't care. I doubt Coach K does either.

Some teams a loss helps, some teams it doesn't. You have no way to know.

duketaylor
02-07-2015, 10:57 PM
UK will not win, they can't shoot.

They have great length and play very good D; if they played UVA it would b one of the ugliest games ever. Like maybe 38-36 ugly!

I know it's strange to say but Gonzaga can beat UK because they're big. And good.

Ultrarunner
02-07-2015, 11:01 PM
UK will not win, they can't shoot.

They have great length and play very good D; if they played UVA it would b one of the ugliest games ever. Like maybe 38-36 ugly!

So you're figuring it will probably go to double-OT?:D

arnie
02-08-2015, 08:17 AM
So you're figuring it will probably go to double-OT?:D

That's about right - 36-36 at end of regulation and one team wins on a Tyler Zeller like tip-in at the wrong basket

OldPhiKap
02-08-2015, 08:29 AM
I would love to see UVa - Kentucky in the Final Four, opposite whomever we play in the other semi.

DevilWearsPrada
02-08-2015, 10:44 AM
I would love to see UVa - Kentucky in the Final Four, opposite whomever we play in the other semi.

That sounds awesome! Kentucky struggled last night with the Florida Gators. I thought the Gators were digging deep and going to secure the upset Win, but that didn't happen, last night.

gurufrisbee
02-08-2015, 11:38 AM
Let's be really honest about Kentucky.

They have a lot of young, talented players.

However, they have only played three good teams all season. One was Kansas on a neutral floor and Kentucky crushed them. UNC at home and LVille on the road were both fairly close games. The only other team they played that even is likely to be in the tournament is Texas - that was another home game and TExas without one of their best players - and it was close.

Meanwhile they have played Columbia, Buffalo, Texas A&M, Providence, Vanderbilt, Florida, Ole Miss - MOST of them at home and all of them very close and NONE of them are good teams.

Kentucky blows a number of teams out, but they also play very mediocre against a lot of mediocre teams. They won't get the luxury of playing a down game every third or fourth time out in the NCAA tournament - there aren't mediocre teams there to play.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-08-2015, 03:13 PM
Oh, good, finally a thread about UK. I haven't seen one of these in a few weeks.

I feel about UK the same way that I feel about NCAA mock bracket seeding or commentator bias... completely and totally irrelevant. When Duke is playing the way they are right now, I don't give a rip about any of these things.

HK Dukie
02-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Am I the only one that wants them to be undefeated heading into the Tourney? Clearly the pressure of going undefeated is affecting them seeing that they struggle against average teams in the SEC. Once in the tourney that pressure is only going to build. I know I am getting ahead of myself but if Duke plays UK it will most likely be in the final four and the pressure on Kentucky will be immense. Could be 91 UNLV all over again. Conversely if UK gets a loss I think it will allow them to play loose and it will be harder for them to fall in March

I like the other posters don't care too much, but I'll admit it, I would much rather they not go into the tournament undefeated. Don't want anyone even having a chance of a perfect season except Duke (someday). The slight extra pressure at 34-0 vs 33-1 wouldn't hurt their chances so much. But we would never hear the end of their 40-0 season if they achieved it. So I would rather just take even the smallest chance of that off the table when convenient.

DavidBenAkiva
02-08-2015, 10:31 PM
Let's not kid ourselves and pretend that Kentucky isn't very good because they played close games against conference opponents. Georgia Tech is just as bad as the worst SEC teams, and Duke really struggled to pull away. When you play teams and coaches 2-3 times every year, they have a way of figuring you out and playing well. Conference games are a grind for all teams, even the very best.

Kentucky has immense talent, and they will be tough to beat. They have great size and skills around the court. Their guards are all 6'5" or taller except Tyler Ulis, who happens to be an amazing on-ball defender. Their height and length up front is even more impressive and they can apply intense defensive effort. Oh, and Devin Booker is one of the best shooters in the whole country. While the Harrison twins are not as consistent as some had hoped, they can also put up 20 points any night. They will be tough to beat any night and especially in March.

I'm not saying they are destined to win the tournament. I'm just saying that they are very good and it's not for us to rag on them because they barely pulled it out against such and such team. If Duke was so great, why did we lose to NC State and Miami? At least Kentucky pulled it out in their close games. There's something to be said for the end result.

I hope this thread withers and dies.

Kfanarmy
02-08-2015, 10:46 PM
That sounds awesome! Kentucky struggled last night with the Florida Gators. I thought the Gators were digging deep and going to secure the upset Win, but that didn't happen, last night.

The travel call against UF when the UK player took the shot fake, kneed, then fell on the shooter was one of the most inept calls I've ever seen. Official should get an award for that one.

subzero02
02-08-2015, 11:45 PM

I agree with you and if they are undefeated going into the tournament the pressure is going to be beyond intense. I am glad that we have a leader like Cook on this year's roster.

uh_no
02-09-2015, 12:25 AM
Georgia Tech is just as bad as the worst SEC teams, and Duke really struggled to pull away.

?????? huh?????

Georgia tech is ranked 69.

here are the sec ratings:

UK 1
UM 29
ark 30
uga 33
uf 35
a&m 39
lsu 43
bama 47
vandy 48
usc 52
Tennessee 98
auburn 137
ole miss 166
missou 205

GT is far better than the bottom of the SEC. If you had said the ACC is just as bad as the bottom of the SEC, you would have been closer, but still incorrect....the ACC's lowest ranked team is VT at 172, and that is the only team in the ACC ranked lower than auburn (not to mention the ACC has 5 teams better than the SEC #2...)