PDA

View Full Version : FSU scares me

gofurman
02-07-2015, 10:26 PM
This scares me some. FSU has beaten great duke teams down there. It's a trap game and just look at Duke struggles vs GTech last week at Cameron. FSU is better than gt and we are away. It's a trap. Gotta keep focused. I fear this one. Don't want an ACC loss that shouldn't be

OldPhiKap
02-07-2015, 10:30 PM
The Noles always play us tough.

I think we'll be ready.

Go Duke!

gofurman
02-07-2015, 10:38 PM
The Noles always play us tough.

I think we'll be ready.

Go Duke!

One day turns. Travel. Luckily they lost their top scorer. But Mayes (FR) is stud - put 30+ on heels. We should beat em but it has all the makings trap. I don't fear Syracuse nearly as much. Because w cuse we have 5 days or so to rest. This is toughest trap I see left. Not toughest game. But toughest trap. Post ND, on road etc. one day later. Wish it was a Tuesday game. We play a decent Clemson team after UNC but that's at Cameron

tbyers11
02-07-2015, 10:54 PM
One day turns. Travel. Luckily they lost their top scorer. But Mayes (FR) is stud - put 30+ on heels. We should beat em but it has all the makings trap. I don't fear Syracuse nearly as much. Because w cuse we have 5 days or so to rest. This is toughest trap I see left. Not toughest game. But toughest trap. Post ND, on road etc. one day later. Wish it was a Tuesday game. We play a decent Clemson team after UNC but that's at Cameron

One day turns do suck. But FSU has a one day turnaround too. They played @VT today. 2 hours after we did. Road games in the ACC are always tough but I wouldn't worry too much about the short turnaround.

Duvall
02-08-2015, 12:35 AM
This scares me some. FSU has beaten great duke teams down there. It's a trap game and just look at Duke struggles vs GTech last week at Cameron. FSU is better than gt and we are away. It's a trap. Gotta keep focused. I fear this one. Don't want an ACC loss that shouldn't be

Quick turnaround to a road game *should* be troubling, but Georgia Tech is better than FSU.

mo.st.dukie
02-08-2015, 12:36 AM
This team has been through a lot and have played on quick turnarounds and have had a lot of good road experience. This will be another tough test but hopefully they can draw off of their experiences they have had up to this point and know they have to have a mature and focused approach to this game. That's what it's about, going through experiences and hoping by tournament time, where there will be quick turnarounds after tough games, you have learned from those experiences.

FerryFor50
02-08-2015, 12:46 AM
Only on DBR does a thread start on the day of a 30 point drubbing of a top 10 team worrying about one of the bottom feeders.

Mayes is good, but Jerian Grant is better. And that Syracuse team that doesn't scare you? They beat FSU 70-57.

Perhaps take 24 hours to enjoy this win?

moonpie23
02-08-2015, 12:51 AM
eff em...let's take the heat to them!!!

time to shed lehigh and mercer....

time to rock, and my money is on Justise Winslow...

dukelifer
02-08-2015, 07:25 AM
All about the growing process - can this team keep its focus. Talent wise Duke should win but FSU will be a tough out as they all are.

Troublemaker
02-08-2015, 09:15 AM
It's a trap game and just look at Duke struggles vs GTech last week

I think because the GaTech experience was so recent, that's why this game isn't a true trap. It is fresh in Duke's mind that not having peak focus and peak emotions at the start of a game can lead to a scary experience versus an inferior opponent. Like others, I think Duke will be fine in this game.

wsb3
02-08-2015, 09:39 AM

Everyone tends to scare me, especially in conference play, since the sight of a Duke uniform most often brings out the best in any team.

gurufrisbee
02-08-2015, 09:54 AM
Everyone tends to scare me, especially in conference play, since the sight of a Duke uniform most often brings out the best in any team.

^^^^^^ EXACTLY.

Let's hope we keep our hot play going. Then it won't matter.

striker219
02-08-2015, 10:20 AM

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy that the team spent an hour before the game yesterday meditating and being hypnotized to think that this...
...looked like this...

...and then we shot 7/8 from three and 81% overall in the first half. True story.

Saratoga2
02-08-2015, 11:58 AM
FS appears to be a very big team although I am not sure if any are hurt at this point. They have Phil Cofer at 6'8", 205# (F) and Montaz Brandon at 6'8" , 225# (G/F) who are good sized and Devon Booker 6'3", 195# (G) and Xavier Mayes 6'4", 188 (G) along with what appears to be a tag team at center with Keil Turpin 7'0", 240 and Boris Bojonovsky 7'3", 240# and also Michael Ojo 7'1", 290 (all centers). None log big minutes there. They also have a significant bench with really big guards and forwards to throw at us. Their record isn't that good but they are at home and Duke is off a one day layoff with no practice time to get ready. We have more talent but they can make the game physical and we can stumble against a team with size.

I am hoping that we use our guards to out quick them and outshoot them. Jahlil is of course hard for anyone to stop although they may slow him down with the size they have.

NashvilleDevil
02-08-2015, 12:38 PM
FS appears to be a very big team although I am not sure if any are hurt at this point. They have Phil Cofer at 6'8", 205# (F) and Montaz Brandon at 6'8" , 225# (G/F) who are good sized and Devon Booker 6'3", 195# (G) and Xavier Mayes 6'4", 188 (G) along with what appears to be a tag team at center with Keil Turpin 7'0", 240 and Boris Bojonovsky 7'3", 240# and also Michael Ojo 7'1", 290 (all centers). None log big minutes there. They also have a significant bench with really big guards and forwards to throw at us. Their record isn't that good but they are at home and Duke is off a one day layoff with no practice time to get ready. We have more talent but they can make the game physical and we can stumble against a team with size.

I am hoping that we use our guards to out quick them and outshoot them. Jahlil is of course hard for anyone to stop although they may slow him down with the size they have.

That size they have found be great practice for a potential game against Kentucky.

devildeac
02-08-2015, 01:53 PM
This is why a game at f$u scares me (to some degree):

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20060301

I'll bet FerryFor50 notices a couple glaring stats from this game;).

Don't believe me? Let's see if Stray Gator remembers attending this game. (I think I have my game properly identified.)

Devilwin
02-08-2015, 02:02 PM
Don't fret. We should win this one.

DavidBenAkiva
02-08-2015, 07:42 PM
The FSU game is not a trap game. What defines a trap? Typically, it falls in the schedule when a mediocre or even bad team is wedged before a big game or between big games. The team overlooks the upcoming opponent to the high profile matchup lurking just a couple days later. Playing a team that was 1-8 in conference after an emotionally draining week with a revenge game against a top-10 team looming on the calendar the following Saturday? That was a trap game against Georgia Tech.

Sure, there might be a letdown in emotion and intensity against FSU. We just waxed the floor with a top-10 Notre Dame team that beat us 11 days prior. Also, we'll be on the road in an environment that was difficult for us in previous years. But the schedule isn't forcing this team to look ahead to Syracuse. Syracuse is not so good this year and has just self-imposed a ban from postseason play. The only dates Duke has left on the regular season circled are February 18th and March 7th. All other games are normal. We know we need to win these games to have a chance of getting a top seed in the ACC and NCAA tournament. The team is going to come with full attention on FSU.

Looking at the remaining games, I don't see any trap games lurking.

Billy Dat
02-08-2015, 07:57 PM
eff em...let's take the heat to them!!!
time to shed lehigh and mercer....
time to rock, and my money is on Justise Winslow...

Cosign in a big way......I don't fault anyone for being nervous for any opponent, but, at this point, if we can't go down to Tally and get a W, I'll be very surprised. Anything can happen, but a 30 point whipping of a top 10 team is really rare and makes me think we're ready to go on a tear.

uh_no
02-08-2015, 08:43 PM
The FSU game is not a trap game. What defines a trap? Typically, it falls in the schedule when a mediocre or even bad team is wedged before a big game or between big games. The team overlooks the upcoming opponent to the high profile matchup lurking just a couple days later. Playing a team that was 1-8 in conference after an emotionally draining week with a revenge game against a top-10 team looming on the calendar the following Saturday? That was a trap game against Georgia Tech.

Sure, there might be a letdown in emotion and intensity against FSU. We just waxed the floor with a top-10 Notre Dame team that beat us 11 days prior. Also, we'll be on the road in an environment that was difficult for us in previous years. But the schedule isn't forcing this team to look ahead to Syracuse. Syracuse is not so good this year and has just self-imposed a ban from postseason play. The only dates Duke has left on the regular season circled are February 18th and March 7th. All other games are normal. We know we need to win these games to have a chance of getting a top seed in the ACC and NCAA tournament. The team is going to come with full attention on FSU.

Looking at the remaining games, I don't see any trap games lurking.
I've determined over the years that it's dichotomous....either a big game out a tap game...there's no other option

Kfanarmy
02-08-2015, 09:04 PM

Perhaps you should not go there.

Kfanarmy
02-08-2015, 09:14 PM
I've determined over the years that it's dichotomous....either a big game out a tap game...there's no other option
Tap game...that sounds refreshing. How do you play it?

gofurman
02-08-2015, 10:13 PM
Only on DBR does a thread start on the day of a 30 point drubbing of a top 10 team worrying about one of the bottom feeders.

Mayes is good, but Jerian Grant is better. And that Syracuse team that doesn't scare you? They beat FSU 70-57.

Perhaps take 24 hours to enjoy this win?

True. But who thought an undefeated Duke team would lose to state and then get drubbed by Miami at home this yr? Everyone here thought Duke had Miami in the bag - at home, coming off a loss.. Everyone thought mercer was an easy out - no supremely quick guards to pull a CJ McCollum or Eric Maynor or on us. Mercer was supposed to be the Perfect matchup for Jabari to take control. Didn't happen. As a uber-fan almost ALL opponents scare me and even w the easy opponents I fear an injury. Strange perhaps but after the Lehigh mercer junk I want to have a strong end run this year. Beat FSU. Maybe trap' was the wrong word. Letdown perhaps is a better term. On the road In a Place we have had great top. 5 teams lose. Go duke
Anyway who has watched FSU? What are their best strengths ? I know they lost their best scorer but have a stud freshman Mayes ! Beat Clemson at Clemson which ain't bad

Edouble
02-09-2015, 02:29 AM
The Lament Configuration scares me.

mgtr
02-09-2015, 09:41 AM
Tap game...that sounds refreshing. How do you play it?

In a bar with a good assortment of draft beers! :D

FerryFor50
02-09-2015, 10:02 AM
True. But who thought an undefeated Duke team would lose to state and then get drubbed by Miami at home this yr? Everyone here thought Duke had Miami in the bag - at home, coming off a loss.. Everyone thought mercer was an easy out - no supremely quick guards to pull a CJ McCollum or Eric Maynor or on us. Mercer was supposed to be the Perfect matchup for Jabari to take control. Didn't happen. As a uber-fan almost ALL opponents scare me and even w the easy opponents I fear an injury. Strange perhaps but after the Lehigh mercer junk I want to have a strong end run this year. Beat FSU. Maybe trap' was the wrong word. Letdown perhaps is a better term. On the road In a Place we have had great top. 5 teams lose. Go duke
Anyway who has watched FSU? What are their best strengths ? I know they lost their best scorer but have a stud freshman Mayes ! Beat Clemson at Clemson which ain't bad

I didn't think Duke had Miami in the bag. I didn't think Duke would lose to them at Cameron, but I expected a battle.

And it's really hard to compare a conference game in early February to the NCAA tournament. Not even on the same scale of concern. Beating an FSU team that is 13-10 and has losses to Providence, Northeastern, UMass, Nebraska, Syracuse, Clemson, etc wouldn't really signify "a strong finish." I expect Duke to beat FSU. They don't have a Michael Snaer. They have a talented freshman and a big, lumbering, unskilled trip of 7 footers. They lost their leading scorer in November to ineligibility.

Yes, FSU could beat Duke, but it's not one I worry about, even if they lose.

(Thread closed - one FSU thread is enough - jk)