PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Notre Dame (Feb 7, 2015)

JBDuke
02-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 90-60 beatdown of Notre Dame?

mapei
02-07-2015, 03:09 PM
Easy call today, despite several great performances. Justise was served today.

Bob Green
02-07-2015, 03:09 PM
Winslow demonstrated the ability to takeover a game. When he pushes the tempo, Duke excells.

grossbus
02-07-2015, 03:10 PM
A lot of candidates, but justise got us going at the start of each half.

gurufrisbee
02-07-2015, 03:13 PM
I really wanted to vote for Matt, but Justise was just too good.

FerryFor50
02-07-2015, 03:20 PM
Winslow for 2nd game in a row.

Okafor and Jones close behind.

jasoninchina
02-07-2015, 03:24 PM
I think the dominance Winslow showed today served notice to the rest of the country, if it even needed it, that he can be nearly unstoppable when healthy.

pamtar
02-07-2015, 03:26 PM
Voted for Matt because he really crushed hopes and dreams in the first half.

Let's not forget QC for lock down D on Grant all game.

NYBri
02-07-2015, 03:54 PM
I really wanted to vote for Matt, but Justise was just too good.

Bingo.

roywhite
02-07-2015, 04:12 PM
As I said ;) in the pre-game, in-game thread, posted about 11:30

Early choice for Man of the Match -- Justise Winslow, who has been coming on lately and appears to be getting over injuries and a slump.

How about a double/double and playing good defense vs Jerian Grant? That would propel the Devils to a win IMO.

BluBones
02-07-2015, 04:17 PM
I voted for Grayson. Modest stats, but he showed he belongs.

And that block!

jv001
02-07-2015, 08:10 PM
Once again there are several candidates for MOTM, but I voted for Justise. He stepped up when Jahlil went out with 2 fouls in the first half. Great all around game. GoDuke!

Clay Feet POF
02-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Winslow was the Leader Today!

MarkD83
02-07-2015, 08:29 PM
I know that this thread (and the other comparable ones) are "Man of tht Match" threads, but we really need to have a poll to see if "Team Defense" " Team Offense" and "Coaching Staff" can be added.

I know that Justise was awesome, but I woiuld vote "Team Defense" for this game if it were an option.

gotoguy
02-07-2015, 08:30 PM
Lots of accolades to spread around. I chose Matt for his spark off the bench both with the defense and his improving confidence and accuracy on offense.

Newton_14
02-07-2015, 10:07 PM
I went with Justise "The Beast" Winslow. 18 and 10, 4 assists, great defense, a great block, and he flatout killed Notre Dame in the paint in multiple ways. Easily man of the match for me.

Honorable mention to Jahlil - 20 and 10 in 23 minutes
Honorable mention to Matt Jones- 17 points on 6-9 shooting, good defense, good rebounding, toughness
Honorable mention to Tyus Jones- Great Floor game, 3-4 FG, 8 points, 5 assists, 0 TO's, at least 3 great, spectacular passes
Rising Star- Grayson Freaking Allen- Justise Winslow level block, 16 strong minutes, 5 points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block, solid defense and minutes off the bench.

Duke Team- Great man to man defense
Duke Team- Great team offense, High level of play for 40 minutes, never allowing Notre Dame to make any kind of meaningful run. Notre Dame cut it to I believe 18 once briefly, but Duke responds immediately with a run of their own to push the lead right back to 25..

Finally, its very hard for a college team to build a huge lead like that early in a game and then find the ability to sustain it the entire way. Up 26 at the half, yet actually increase the lead in the 2nd half to win by 30. It does not get much more impressive than that. Except the fact that it actually came against the number 10 team in the country.

Edouble
02-07-2015, 10:32 PM
Matt was the story of the first half.

Justise and Jahlil were the stories of the second half.

I went with Matt because he crushed Notre Dame's hopes in the first when we were at our most vulnerable, with Jah on the bench.

Edouble
02-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Finally, its very hard for a college team to build a huge lead like that early in a game and then find the ability to sustain it the entire way. Up 26 at the half, yet actually increase the lead in the 2nd half to win by 30. It does not get much more impressive than that. Except the fact that it actually came against the number 10 team in the country.

I want to comment on this too.

It is so hard to extend a lead when you are already up by a bunch of points. The fact that we still outscored them by six in the second speaks volumes about this team.

It's easy to be unimpressed by outscoring the Irish by six in the second half after the monster first half, but imagine if we had outscored them by six for both halves. We would have won by 12. I think most people around here would be really happy with a 12 point win over Notre Dame. Outscoring another top ten team by six for a half, particularly when you have already put them away, is outstanding!

superdave
02-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Quinn locked down Grant who soundly beat us a week ago. That gets my vote.

fisheyes
02-08-2015, 10:26 AM
I want to comment on this too.

It is so hard to extend a lead when you are already up by a bunch of points. The fact that we still outscored them by six in the second speaks volumes about this team.

It's easy to be unimpressed by outscoring the Irish by six in the second half after the monster first half, but imagine if we had outscored them by six for both halves. We would have won by 12. I think most people around here would be really happy with a 12 point win over Notre Dame. Outscoring another top ten team by six for a half, particularly when you have already put them away, is outstanding!

I couldn't agree more. This is what I was paying attention to while watching the second half. Early on in the half Duke let the score differential drop to 18 twice but then they put the pedal to the metal for good. A sign of a very good team.

DevilWearsPrada
02-08-2015, 11:47 AM
I voted for Winslow, but wanted to choose the Entire Team! Everyone contributed on both ends of the court! A spectacular game and it was almost perfection, as quoted by Coach K !