PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Notre Dame (Feb 7, 1 pm ET, CBS) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

DukieInBrasil
02-06-2015, 11:47 AM
Rumor has it that Duke will be playing some team on Saturday at 1pm. This team Duke may (or may not) be playing is rumored to be kinda good, like maybe #10 in the nation or something. Seems like, i dunno, maybe fans might wanna talk about or something. Or not. I mean if we just ignore it, it means we automatically win, right?

NM Duke Fan
02-06-2015, 12:35 PM
Rumor has it that Duke will be playing some team on Saturday at 1pm. This team Duke may (or may not) be playing is rumored to be kinda good, like maybe #10 in the nation or something. Seems like, i dunno, maybe fans might wanna talk about or something. Or not. I mean if we just ignore it, it means we automatically win, right?

I am glad to see the game is on CBS, makes it easy to see around the country. Also, there will be a CBS half-hour special on Coach K right before the game.
This should be one of the best games of the year, no doubt. What was learned from that first narrow loss, which should have been a W? What adjustments will be in place, lots of intrigue.

COYS
02-06-2015, 02:17 PM
What adjustments will be in place?

Hoping for made free throws!

This rematch reminds me of the second game with Syracuse last season, the second Miami game two years ago (also known as the Ryan Kelly Returns game) and the game in Cameron against Wake in the '08-'09 season (the game where Nolan AND Jon both scored over 30 points to lead us to victory). Somehow we managed to win all three of those rematches, but not a one of them was easy. That being said, there is no doubt that the team was extra motivated in each one of those games. I expect our guys to be similarly motivated this time around.

The bottom line is that Notre Dame is not a good defensive team at all. A good comparison is Duke last season. They can score the ball, but they really struggle to defend. While we did a good job on offense against them in South Bend, I think we can be better this time around. I want to see us really force Notre Dame to defend us. That means we need to attack in transition when possible, but also stay dynamic in the half court. Obviously we should try to feed Jahlil. But I hope that the rest of the guys are particularly active in every offensive set. The bottom line is, the more we work on offense, the more likely Notre Dame's suspect defense will break down at some point during the possession.

On defense, I actually thought we did a pretty good job defending them in South Bend. We can't expect to bottle them up entirely, but we need to limit Grant's opportunities in transition and chase all of their guys off the three point line. As for limiting their transition opportunities, I actually think our offense will be the primary key. Rushed shots with no one back to defend, the occasional lazy pass, live ball turnovers, or even sulking for a moment after a mistake on offense can all lead to an easy bucket at the other end. The Irish score easily enough without us helping them out. Let's make them earn everything they get.

weezie
02-06-2015, 02:47 PM
I'm hoping they spank that Connaughton guy. I predict he will be a special favorite of the Crazies, too.

Kedsy
02-06-2015, 02:59 PM
Hoping for made free throws!

Layups, too. Though perhaps with Cameron's familiar rims that will improve on its own.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
02-06-2015, 03:24 PM
I want to see a good game, and I want our guys to come out focused and ready to answer the challenge. You don't let a team beat you twice in a row and then have them come into your house and win a third time. Lets kick some leprechauns!

Troublemaker
02-06-2015, 06:53 PM
I want to see a good game, and I want our guys to come out focused and ready to answer the challenge. You don't let a team beat you twice in a row and then have them come into your house and win a third time. Lets kick some leprechauns!

Yep, focus and emotion should not be issues in this one. It's a revenge game (double revenge for the four veterans) against a top 10 team.

I'm guessing we'll get a more extensive look at Duke's 3-2 zone in this one, mixed in with the compact man-2-man that we played at Notre Dame.

Duke has opened as 9-pt favorites.

jmck214
02-06-2015, 08:06 PM
Duke has opened as 9-pt favorites.[/QUOTE]

It looks like alot of early action on Duke has brought the spread up to 10.5

subzero02
02-06-2015, 08:08 PM
If Cameron isn't rocking for this one, there's a problem.

dukelifer
02-06-2015, 09:56 PM
Big game for the boys tomorrow. Need to limit mistakes and make free throws. Some strong D would be nice. This team is so hard to figure out. So talented but yet so young.

gofurman
02-06-2015, 11:09 PM
Duke has opened as 9-pt favorites.

It looks like alot of early action on Duke has brought the spread up to 10.5[/QUOTE]

I would love that result. Seems high to me. I think Good guys by 5

-bdbd
02-07-2015, 12:12 AM
Just remember that the spread is designed to even split the betting, to the benefit of the house, it isn't intended to be a legit "prediction" of the game, necesssarily. That said, I think 9-10 points feels about right this time. Recall that we lost a nailbiter in their house, since when we've only won. THEY stumbled badly after the Duke game. We should win this one. Gotta play defense though!

Reilly
02-07-2015, 08:16 AM
Gamenotes: https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf9/3169006.pdf?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Duke and ND w/ very similar stats ... Marshall is shooting 78% from the FT line ...

sagegrouse
02-07-2015, 08:16 AM
Just remember that the spread is designed to even split the betting, to the benefit of the house, it isn't intended to be a legit "prediction" of the game, necesssarily. That said, I think 9-10 points feels about right this time. Recall that we lost a nailbiter in their house, since when we've only won. THEY stumbled badly after the Duke game. We should win this one. Gotta play defense though!

Is it fair, therefore, to describe the point spread as a "crowd-sourcing" result?

moonpie23
02-07-2015, 08:18 AM
TCB today......no foolin'.....just focus...

Saratoga2
02-07-2015, 08:47 AM
One big difference this time around will be that Justise appears to be close to fully recovered. Having him back as an offensive threat and all over the floor defensively will likely change the tempo of the game. I hope they don't send MP3 to guard away from the basket. They are much better when he takes up a defensive position within 10 feet of the basket.

MChambers
02-07-2015, 08:51 AM
Is it fair, therefore, to describe the point spread as a "crowd-sourcing" result?

I believe it is! At least the final spread right before the game.

Reilly
02-07-2015, 08:58 AM
... the spread is designed to even split the betting, to the benefit of the house ...

Not always, I've read. There was a very informative (to me) discussion on The Devil's Den (Duke football free message board) a couple years ago where some seemingly sophisticated gamblers weighed in, citing books, etc., to note that the house effectively makes bets itself -- that's how the big profits are made. In other words, the house is not just splitting the money on each side 50/50 and collecting it's relatively hum-drum commission or service fee equivalent. Rather, the house may be inducing behavior -- trying to get more money on one side rather than another -- to score big.

Bob Green
02-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Free throws will be important in what should be another close game. Another 50% performance from the line needs to be avoided. In the previous ND game in South Bend, Amile Jefferson scored Duke's first four points and then went scoreless the remainder of the game. He must be more active today. Today's rotation will be interesting to observe. Will we zone more or stick with the man2man? Will Matt Jones continue to be hot on offense? He scored 11 and nine points last two games. Marshall Plumlee has scored only six points over the past five games including going scoreless in the last three games (Georgia Tech, Virginia, Notre Dame). Will he play more or less than the six minutes he recorded in South Bend? There are lots of questions running around my brain such as who is going to step up and support our Big Four? Most importantly, will our Big Four play big. Okafor recorded a 22/17 double - double in South Bend. A repeat of that performance would be nice.

TruBlu
02-07-2015, 10:16 AM

As an upper level "Crustie", I find myself sitting back, watching and expecting the students to carry the load. I vow to do better. Those folks sitting behind me can either stand up themselves, or get accustomed to staring at my back.

Troublemaker
02-07-2015, 11:04 AM
I think 9-10 points feels about right this time.

Your feeling has a lot of mathematical support. Most studies I've seen have shown homecourt advantage to be worth about 3.75 points, so switching venues -- from at Notre Dame to at Cameron -- is worth about 7.5 points. Since Duke was 1.5-2 point favorites in the first meeting ten days ago, switching venues would make us 9-9.5 point favorites, which is right where the line is now.

Not always, I've read. There was a very informative (to me) discussion on The Devil's Den (Duke football free message board) a couple years ago where some seemingly sophisticated gamblers weighed in, citing books, etc., to note that the house effectively makes bets itself -- that's how the big profits are made. In other words, the house is not just splitting the money on each side 50/50 and collecting it's relatively hum-drum commission or service fee equivalent. Rather, the house may be inducing behavior -- trying to get more money on one side rather than another -- to score big.

Great point. It especially requires little effort from the online, offshore books to do this, because they can track who their best gamblers are. Once the book sets a line and they see that their best gamblers are all coming in on one side, but a lopsided amount of overall money is on the opposite side, the book will sometimes choose to stay put with the line and gamble alongside their best bettors.

Amile Jefferson scored Duke's first four points and then went scoreless the remainder of the game. He must be more active today.

I'm wondering if Amile will see a lot of time in this game. I think Coach K will want to play smallball against the Irish with Justise at the 4 and Matt at the 3.

duketaylor
02-07-2015, 11:22 AM
I expect this game to be closer than 9 points and I hope I'm wrong.

Troublemaker
02-07-2015, 11:28 AM

Ever since the final buzzer sounded to end the previous game at Notre Dame, I've thought that Duke would SMASH the Irish by 20+ points in the rematch in Cameron. (sorry slower!)

So yes, I hope you're wrong and I'm right.

Bob Green
02-07-2015, 11:29 AM
I'm wondering if Amile will see a lot of time in this game. I think Coach K will want to play smallball against the Irish with Justise at the 4 and Matt at the 3.

Small ball is certainly a possibility. Matt Jones played 21 minutes in South Bend.

roywhite
02-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Early choice for Man of the Match -- Justise Winslow, who has been coming on lately and appears to be getting over injuries and a slump.

How about a double/double and playing good defense vs Jerian Grant? That would propel the Devils to a win IMO.

Troublemaker
02-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Early choice for Man of the Match -- Justise Winslow, who has been coming on lately and appears to be getting over injuries and a slump.

How about a double/double and playing good defense vs Jerian Grant? That would propel the Devils to a win IMO.

That would be interesting. In the last matchup, Justise was used on Connaughton and Grant was left to be defended by Tyus and Quinn. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing either Justise or Matt Jones get a shot at Grant.

OldPhiKap
02-07-2015, 11:34 AM

Agreed, I don't see this spread at all. Will be good to see Mike Brey back in Cameron though.

NashvilleDevil
02-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Please make 60-65% of your free throws today.

Bob Green
02-07-2015, 11:52 AM
Please make 60-65% of your free throws today.

While we struggled in South Bend (50%), our season average is 68.7%. I agree with your point because missed FTs doomed us last time against the Irish but as long as we perform to our average we should be okay. My arbitrary benchmark for a good free throw shooting team is 70% so a slight performance improvement down the stretch would be welcome.

-jk
02-07-2015, 11:55 AM
It's a little early, but anyway: DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

NashvilleDevil
02-07-2015, 12:11 PM
Did Jay Williams pick against Duke again?

riverside6
02-07-2015, 12:50 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Notre Dame, starters posted...

http://www.scacchoops.com/notre-dame-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-02072015

Duke95
02-07-2015, 01:00 PM

Any students not cheering in Cameron receive 6 free credits toward a UNC "degree".

pfrduke
02-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Attitude better all around - team and fans - to start the game. The defense is playing with intensity and the crowd is LOUD.

Chillduck
02-07-2015, 01:17 PM
That sounds like the Cameron Indoor Stadium we have come to love! Justise looks in beast-mode!

pfrduke
02-07-2015, 01:21 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Let the big man work.

FerryFor50
02-07-2015, 01:23 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Let the big man work.

Yea that was awful. Never lowered shoulder. Just bigger.

They followed it up with an equally bad call on Jah at the other end.

pfrduke
02-07-2015, 01:28 PM
Marshall made that as hard as it could possibly be made while still working. Hands, big man. Hands.

kmspeaks
02-07-2015, 01:30 PM
Yea that was awful. Never lowered shoulder. Just bigger.

They followed it up with an equally bad call on Jah at the other end.

Agreed. Also in this game

a) Jah may have got away with a smack on the arm on that block

b) Auguste grabbed Quinn's arm while setting a screen

c) I think Notre dame got hit with a ticky tack call early on a drive

Call it tight or let them play, I don't really care one way or the other but pick one and stick with it. I don't think college refs are biased for or against certain teams, I just think they're not very good at their job.

FerryFor50
Looks like Matt Jones has found his confidence.

Now he's a legitimate threat on both ends.

pfrduke
Man, it's nice to be the team having the good outside shooting day for once (knock on wood).

Also, Matt - give that up on the break - you've got 4-on-1

FerryFor50
02-07-2015, 01:31 PM
Not sure why they're not even looking at the foul after Colson just bowled over Jones.

arnie
02-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Man, it's nice to be the team having the good outside shooting day for once (knock on wood).

Also, Matt - give that up on the break - you've got 4-on-1

Reincarnation of 99 season today!

FerryFor50
02-07-2015, 01:34 PM
As I mentioned in previous threads, perfect game for Grayson Allen to show what he can do. So far, a nice dish.

Karl Beem
02-07-2015, 01:35 PM
It looks like alot of early action on Duke has brought the spread up to 10.5

I would love that result. Seems high to me. I think Good guys by 5[/QUOTE]

Mebbe not.

pfrduke
02-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Mebbe not.

Still a lot of game left and Notre Dame has a habit of coming back from big deficits this season. But certainly an impressive start.

FerryFor50
02-07-2015, 01:38 PM
Duke is over 200 in offensive efficiency.

I wonder what the record is?

And how about this aggressiveness on defense? Challenging shots, even Okafor.

FerryFor50
02-07-2015, 01:39 PM
And now Allen with a sick up and under attempt.

Comparison to Bob Sura just made. Perfect comparison.

pfrduke
02-07-2015, 01:40 PM
The speed with which the defense is moving today is just different from earlier this season. So great to watch.

FerryFor50
02-07-2015, 01:41 PM
The speed with which the defense is moving today is just different from earlier this season. So great to watch.

It's inspired. The switching has been great, the communication, and the aggressiveness.

FerryFor50
02-07-2015, 01:43 PM
This game reminds me of how my rec league game went this week. We were the Notre Dame in that one... :p

Chillduck
02-07-2015, 01:43 PM
WOW!!!

IBleedBlue
02-07-2015, 01:45 PM
wow... our defense is at the highest level this season we have witnessed so far. And offence is clicking on all cylinders.
The last two games ND played us were in their building and they are finding out what it is to play in Cameron. Let it rain!!!

Chillduck
02-07-2015, 01:48 PM
Considering Notre Dame started out 6-0, that's a 43-7 run!

DUKEinFW
02-07-2015, 01:49 PM
I love it that Coach K knew "we're ready, we're not going to go very long today" when referring to yesterday's practices

FerryFor50
02-07-2015, 01:50 PM
Amazingly this run has been mostly with Jah on the bench.

pfrduke
02-07-2015, 01:53 PM
That was a very nicely designed, and run, out of bounds play.

NashvilleDevil
02-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Who's the board member who doesn't like Matt's game?

FerryFor50
02-07-2015, 01:55 PM
Who's the board member who doesn't like Matt's game?

Take your pick. Plenty of posters have been on him all year.

DUKEinFW
02-07-2015, 01:57 PM
I love it that Coach K knew "we're ready, we're not going to go very long today" when referring to yesterday's practices

Troublemaker
02-07-2015, 01:59 PM
Duke's dealing out an old-fashioned Irish beatdown at the pub.

Worse, actually. Right now we're more than Dublin them.

FerryFor50
02-07-2015, 02:00 PM
Notre Dame needs to call in Touchdown Jesus.

Troublemaker
02-07-2015, 02:01 PM
Take your pick. Plenty of posters have been on him all year.

Not I. Been defending Matt all season.

Oh, btw, how's that 9-pt spread looking guys?

NashvilleDevil
02-07-2015, 02:02 PM
M. Jones and Winslow have 26 points to Notre Dame's 24.

FerryFor50
02-07-2015, 02:02 PM
Not I. Been defending Matt all season.

Oh, btw, how's that 9-pt spread looking guys?

As have I. Love Matt Jones' game and what he brings to the table. The offense is just icing.

grossbus
02-07-2015, 02:03 PM
Best half of ball I have seen us play in years.

Hope we carry that energy over to the second half.

MarkD83
02-07-2015, 02:10 PM
I like what I see, but I worry about the luck of the Irish. Duke needs to make a statement in the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half and extend the lead into the 30s.

Jarhead
Did anybody notice this --- Duke got only 3 defensive rebounds, but they only missed 4 shots, so... Wow!

pfrduke
It looks like this team may finally have gotten the message that playing good, hard, aggressive defense a) is fun and b) leads to easier offense. We've been exceptional on the offensive side of the ball in this game, but this is a defense-focused effort.

-jk
02-07-2015, 02:11 PM
Just for blazindw, we just had a "I believe that we will win" cheer!

-jk

azzefkram
Outstanding half, now finish it guys.

gep
I think Jahlil will be ready.

FerryFor50
I like what I see, but I worry about the luck of the Irish. Duke needs to make a statement in the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half and extend the lead into the 30s.

Going to take a lot of luck to overcome both the deficit and a hot shooting, intense and focused Duke team.

UrinalCake

Absolutely - we're pressuring the ballhandler while still recovering when they pass out and closing out on the shooters. We seem to be reacting a step quicker than normal, rather than chasing. After they went up 6-0 we went on something like a 40-6 run; just unreal.

MarkD83
02-07-2015, 02:13 PM
Going to take a lot of luck to overcome both the deficit and a hot shooting, intense and focused Duke team.

I know. Nonetheless the 1st half statement needs to be reinforced.

slower
02-07-2015, 02:22 PM
Ever since the final buzzer sounded to end the previous game at Notre Dame, I've thought that Duke would SMASH the Irish by 20+ points in the rematch in Cameron. (sorry slower!)

So yes, I hope you're wrong and I'm right.

Hey, I hope you're right! I turned the game off after ND hit those first two 3-pointers. Not going anywhere NEAR the TV until this one's over. :p

MarkD83
02-07-2015, 02:23 PM
OK frst 4 minutes were a push Duke still up by 25. I still want Duke to go on another run and get this lead to over 30.

MarkD83
02-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Even Duke's free throw defense is looking good.

MarkD83
02-07-2015, 02:29 PM
This is what drives me nuts. Lead is 20 with 13 min left. LET'S GO DUKE!!!!

NashvilleDevil
02-07-2015, 02:30 PM

Nothing falling right now for Duke. Notre Dame has made just about all their threes.

FerryFor50

Yea, totally hate being up 20 with 13 min left.

lmb
Anybody know the meaning of the Plumlee bulldozer signs?

_Gary
02-07-2015, 02:31 PM
Don't believe we can lose the game, but we can't get to tentative. Several quick buckets have ND looking to get the lead under 20.

jipops
02-07-2015, 02:31 PM
I have a feeling Duke is not going to win this comfortably. No stops now

MarkD83
02-07-2015, 02:32 PM
Thank you Justise!!

FerryFor50
02-07-2015, 02:33 PM
I have a feeling Duke is not going to win this comfortably. No stops now

You guys are kind of silly.

Notre Dame is going to hit some shots. But have you watched Duke today? They are focused. Going to be a runaway victory.

MarkD83
02-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Leave No Doubt!!!

MarkD83
02-07-2015, 02:35 PM
You guys are kind of silly.

Notre Dame is going to hit some shots. But have you watched Duke today? They are focused. Going to be a runaway victory.

Yes, I have been watching. But now I want a game that says to Notre Dame..."You have no hope the next time we play." Just crush their spirit.

kmspeaks
02-07-2015, 02:36 PM

Well despite the fact that we made them look pretty terrible in the 1st half, Notre Dame is still KenPom's #2 offensive team. This is not like getting up on a non-conference gimme win and then letting them back in the game. They're the #10 team in the country and we're not going to hold them down forever. If someone had told me 90 minutes ago we'd have a 20 point lead with 13 minutes left I'd have been pretty happy, and I still am.

FerryFor50
02-07-2015, 02:36 PM
Yes, I have been watching. But now I want a game that says to Notre Dame..."You have no hope the next time we play." Just crush their spirit.

And you don't think that's already happening? lol

BlueandWhite
02-07-2015, 02:39 PM

AND 1 for Okafior!! Love Winslow's effort!! GO DUKE!!

MarkD83
02-07-2015, 02:39 PM
Justise has found that "we will beat you AND kill your spirit" attitude that I am looking for.

MarkD83
02-07-2015, 02:41 PM
Tyus has found the attitude as well. (Maybe I should be over in the chat room.)

BlueandWhite
02-07-2015, 02:43 PM
Justise has found that "we will beat you AND kill your spirit" attitude that I am looking for.

Let's have some of that a week from this Wednesday when UN-cheat comes for a visit...

ChrisP
02-07-2015, 02:44 PM
Okafor gets NONE of the calls! Hammered often - OFTEN - in the post!

FerryFor50
02-07-2015, 02:45 PM
HOLY COW GRAYSON ALLEN.

Told you we'd see something from him today!!!

grossbus
02-07-2015, 02:46 PM
Grayson Allen!!!!

NancyCarol
02-07-2015, 02:47 PM

love this game. love this attitude. oh I can't remember when I had so much fun. I will keep this on my dvr and play it whenever I need a boost. THIS is the Duke team I've been waiting for this season.

nmduke2001
I think we can now confirm that Matt Jones cannot dunk.

MarkD83
There was that 19-4 run that I was looking for. Under 8 up by 33. Statement made!!!

peterjswift
Grayson Allen??!!!? I thought Matt Jones and Winslow's play was already amazing enough...they aren't taking plays off.

InSpades
02-07-2015, 02:48 PM
Grayson! Wow. This is a fun game! Can we have a few more of these?

NashvilleDevil
02-07-2015, 02:48 PM
I think we can now confirm that Matt Jones cannot dunk.

Does it matter? 17 points today

nmduke2001
02-07-2015, 02:49 PM
Does it matter? 17 points today

Nope.

FerryFor50
02-07-2015, 02:50 PM
Allen's block. Gotta love instant gratification of the digital age.

https://vine.co/v/OUZw1OQhm2H

gurufrisbee
02-07-2015, 02:51 PM
When is Notre Dame showing up?

MarkD83
02-07-2015, 02:52 PM

I agree it has been happening all game, but I don't want Mike Brey to have any part of this tape where he can say "OK we lost by 20+. but look at the run we made in the 2nd half". With under 8 minutes left and up by 30 any ND run is purely garbage and can't be used for motivation.

I am usually not this ruthless, but Duke needs to get a swagger back and this game is just what the doctor ordered.

InSpades
02-07-2015, 02:54 PM
Don't scare me like that Justise.

kmspeaks
02-07-2015, 02:58 PM
Outside of Grayson's block my favorite moment of this game is temporarily stopping on the best basketball score, 82-50.

peterjswift
02-07-2015, 02:59 PM
Allen's block. Gotta love instant gratification of the digital age.

https://vine.co/v/OUZw1OQhm2H

This, followed by the three, has to be a fantastic confidence builder for Grayson. It is great to see a game where everyone is contributing.

ChrisP
02-07-2015, 03:00 PM
I want 100. Is that wrong???

porkpa
02-07-2015, 03:01 PM
Why don't the crazies use a Gray-son All-en, Gray-son All-en chant that they've used in the past with other sometimes overlooked players playing well of the bench?

kmspeaks
02-07-2015, 03:02 PM
Why don't the crazies use a Gray-son All-en, Gray-son All-en chant that they've used in the past with other sometimes overlooked players playing well of the bench?

I'm pretty sure I heard a Gray-son All-en clap-clap-clap,clap,clap chant after the 3.