PDA

View Full Version : Carolina Barnstorming

FerryFor50
02-03-2015, 08:24 PM
Here's your chance to meet Quinn Cook:

http://carolinabarnstorming.com/

Or if you prefer, UNC's Desmond Hubert and Jackson Simmons.

MCFinARL
02-03-2015, 09:42 PM
Here's your chance to meet Quinn Cook:

http://carolinabarnstorming.com/

Or if you prefer, UNC's Desmond Hubert and Jackson Simmons.

The barnstorming tour is going to Maine? Does it usually do something like that?

superdave
02-04-2015, 09:24 AM
I went to this in 1993 after Unc won the national championship. I remember seeing George Lynch and George Lynch's significantly shorter brother there. No Bobby Hurley though. I guess I got fair value for my $5 ticket.

Dukehky
02-04-2015, 10:19 AM
I went to this in 1993 after Unc won the national championship. I remember seeing George Lynch and George Lynch's significantly shorter brother there. No Bobby Hurley though. I guess I got fair value for my $5 ticket.

Wojo, Ricky Price came to the local hs in 98. Iwas the only Duke kid in the crowd so Ricky Price jumped over me and Wojo in the dunk contest.

killerleft
02-04-2015, 12:23 PM
Wojo, Ricky Price came to the local hs in 98. Iwas the only Duke kid in the crowd so Ricky Price jumped over me and Wojo in the dunk contest.

Sounds like fun! Good thing it wasn't you and Ricky Price being jumped over by Wojo:o

Dukeford
04-13-2015, 12:13 PM
Does anybody know if Quin has been participating in these games?
If so, I was thinking about going to the Walkertown game. That's only about 1.5 hours from Durham.

howardlander
04-13-2015, 12:16 PM

I sort of hope not, since Quinn needs to be finishing up his degree.

Howard

Merlindevildog91
04-13-2015, 12:21 PM
If so, I was thinking about going to the Walkertown game. That's only about 1.5 hours from Durham.

From the pictures I saw on FB, he was at the one in Sylva.

Highlander
04-13-2015, 12:26 PM
From the pictures I saw on FB, he was at the one in Asheville.

I grew up in Walkertown. It's a blue collar suburb of Winston-Salem, a bit smaller than Kernersville. Nice folk and town. Walkertown HS did not exist when I lived there, so no idea where it is. Interesting choice for a location to be sure.

Thinking about taking my youngest son to Belmont NC game since it is close to Charlotte. He wanted to see a basketball game this year and I didn't get him to one. He's 8.

Dukeford
04-13-2015, 01:15 PM
I sort of hope not, since Quinn needs to be finishing up his degree.

Howard

In years past I have attended these events and saw Danny Ferry, Abdelnaby, Robert Brickey, Phil Henderson, Quin Snyder, Thomas Hill and Bobby Hurley. I think almost everyone of these guys graduated, so I don't think participating in these games is a hindrance to them academically. The whole basis for the event is to showcase the ACC seniors. I'm just trying to estimate what the chances of Quin being there are since most of the other ACC seniors don't seem too exciting this year. I know that last year Andre participated but he also had to miss some dates due to NBA workout type events.

Merlindevildog91
04-13-2015, 01:18 PM
I grew up in Walkertown. It's a blue collar suburb of Winston-Salem, a bit smaller than Kernersville. Nice folk and town. Walkertown HS did not exist when I lived there, so no idea where it is. Interesting choice for a location to be sure.

Thinking about taking my youngest son to Belmont NC game since it is close to Charlotte. He wanted to see a basketball game this year and I didn't get him to one. He's 8.

Walkertown HS is just a couple of years old. The kids in my neighborhood go to school there, although we live in Belews Creek.

There are a couple of decent Mexican restaurants. Don't try the margaritas, though; the town is dry. You can get beer and wine, but no mixed drinks of any consequence.

CatDevil
04-13-2015, 01:39 PM

Taking my son to the Walkertown event. I have enjoyed many of the past events. This drive is pretty close on this one so the kid will appreciate this. Sure hope Quinn will be there(the only reason we are going). We purchased the VIP tickets and will get there early. I had wondered if Marshall is technically a Senior? We met the other two brothers at these event. Son loved Mason....guy has a great personality. He and Ryan Kelly were very kind to the younger kids and made them feel special. My son loves doing the free throws but I doubt it will happen this year. He is now 12 and I think that is a little old to be chosen. Hope to see some fellow fans there!

MCFinARL
04-13-2015, 02:25 PM
In years past I have attended these events and saw Danny Ferry, Abdelnaby, Robert Brickey, Phil Henderson, Quin Snyder, Thomas Hill and Bobby Hurley. I think almost everyone of these guys graduated, so I don't think participating in these games is a hindrance to them academically. The whole basis for the event is to showcase the ACC seniors. I'm just trying to estimate what the chances of Quin being there are since most of the other ACC seniors don't seem too exciting this year. I know that last year Andre participated but he also had to miss some dates due to NBA workout type events.

Yes, I can't imagine that these events will interfere with academics more than, say, participation in the entire basketball season has. So much of the submission of papers, etc. can be done electronically now that I'm sure Quinn can participate in at least a few of these games while still keeping up with his academic commitments. Quinn expressed such gratitude for the opportunity to get a Duke degree on Senior Night that I can't imagine he would do anything to jeopardize that with only a couple of weeks left.

CameronBornAndBred
04-13-2015, 02:46 PM
From the pictures I saw on FB, he was at the one in Sylva.
It looked like he won "MVP" in that game.

Dukeford
04-13-2015, 02:59 PM
Interesting choice for a location to be sure.

Not really. I think they try to shuffle these around each year to mostly small, rural areas. Maybe to give people a chance to see, that otherwise wouldn't get to. And maybe it's a better attendance draw that way. They've already had one in Creedmoor, and tonight is Taylorsville. Last year they had one in Roxboro. All of those places will have less immediate population than the surrounding Walkertown area.

The year I saw Bobby Hurley, it was at Wilkes Central High School, and they had one of those nice rubber, absorbent floors. Hurley tried to dunk near the end of game. He got it over the front of the rim, but couldn't quite push it on through. He laughed heartily, but he also seemed pleasantly surprised with himself.

Merlindevildog91
04-13-2015, 03:31 PM
The Reverend and I have tickets for Walkertown.

Anyone else who might want directions, shoot me a PM.