PDA

View Full Version : New York Times Article on "Rashanda McCants"

neuro
02-02-2015, 08:35 PM
Look at the caption on this article (and the article text):

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/education/edlife/football-major-basketball-minor.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Will probably be corrected soon, but it made me smile. Rashanda. :)

"Football players might devote as many as 60 hours a week to their sport, with little time for studies. Graduation rates for Division I football and men’s basketball players hover around 50 percent, according to federal statistics. The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, has found that over the last two decades, some 3,000 students, about half of them athletes, took courses that sometimes did not meet or require any work. Two former players, Rashanda McCants and Devon Ramsay, filed a lawsuit in January claiming the university and N.C.A.A. failed to fulfill their stated missions of educating them."

Dr. Rosenrosen
02-02-2015, 08:39 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/education/edlife/football-major-basketball-minor.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

"Football players might devote as many as 60 hours a week to their sport, with little time for studies. Graduation rates for Division I football and men’s basketball players hover around 50 percent, according to federal statistics. The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, has found that over the last two decades, some 3,000 students, about half of them athletes, took courses that sometimes did not meet or require any work. Two former players, Rashanda McCants and Devon Ramsay, filed a lawsuit in January claiming the university and N.C.A.A. failed to fulfill their stated missions of educating them."
That's his sister. It is correct. She is the one filing suit...

neuro
02-02-2015, 08:43 PM
:confused::confused::confused:

Ok, the question mark smilies are for me being clueless. Thanks for the clarification.

I had no idea he had a sister.

I'm going to leave the original post and title up as a testament to my ignorance. :(

OldPhiKap
02-02-2015, 08:48 PM
Rashanda was an All-American her last year, and ACC player of the year.

FerryFor50
02-02-2015, 08:55 PM

If only there was a search engine that could give me that kind of information. One I could access from any device connected to the internet... :p

killerleft
02-02-2015, 09:14 PM

"Football players might devote as many as 60 hours a week to their sport, with little time for studies. Graduation rates for Division I football and men’s basketbainll players hover around 50 percent, according to federal statistics. The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, has found that over the last two decades, some 3,000 students, about half of them athletes, took courses that sometimes did not meet or require any work. Two former players, Rashanda McCants and Devon Ramsay, filed a lawsuit in January claiming the university and N.C.A.A. failed to fulfill their stated missions of educating them."

They found? Well, they KNEW, that's for sure. Did a Tar Heel 'journalist' write that sentence?:rolleyes:

Edouble
02-02-2015, 10:03 PM
They found? Well, they KNEW, that's for sure. Did a Tar Heel 'journalist' write that sentence?:rolleyes:

No, his tutor wrote it for him.

burnspbesq
02-02-2015, 10:14 PM

I wouldn't blame the guy's subconscious for suppressing all memories of her. In an era when the Carolina women were the standard-bearers for excessively physical basketball, McCants was one of the worst offenders (arguably, only Leah Metcalf was worse).

captmojo
02-03-2015, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't blame the guy's subconscious for suppressing all memories of her. In an era when the Carolina women were the standard-bearers for excessively physical basketball, McCants was one of the worst offenders (arguably, only Leah Metcalf was worse).

And, he left a most eloquent mea culpa.